Dan on E:60 - Bobby Hurley

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Dan on E:60 - Bobby Hurley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Hurley on E:60

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Very cool. Can't wait to see what it's about.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Wonder what the angle will be?
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

I miss this Schaap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwIzk7lareE

The two-hour special entitled "Dick Schaap: Flashing Before My Eyes," was fantastic. Anyone have a link?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Awesome! More exposure for our program!
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

This is awesome!
0 x
GO RAMS
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Anyone know when and where it will be broadcast?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

i had my sources reach out to jeremy..

this is straight from jeremy schaap

Whole hour on Bobby. First air date is 4/12. I'm excited about it.

Will definitely get you some dates today.

Tell your friend there's sadly not too much URI, but plenty of Danny.

Jeremy Schaap
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

good pub for us with Dan being on the show with his Rhody gear on
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

We want to talk to you but mainly about your brother, so pretty much the story of his life? :-)

It's cool, though.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

jeremy poking fun...

Thanks for this, Jeremy. I’m sure if there’s at least a URI banner or Rams logo in the background when you’re filming, he’ll be happy. Ha.

Definitely get me some dates. Look forward to seeing you and catching up.

====================================================

Maybe even two shots of the ram.

Jeremy Schaap
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Ha. Still cool. Ace beat me to it... pretty much story of Dan's life.

Let's hope that by the time Dan's done here there will be story worthy of it's own E:60 episode with Rhode Island Basketball as the focus.
0 x
Optimistic
Kenny Green

Unread post by Optimistic »

I think the focus is on Bob Sr., not JR.
0 x
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
This one just came out of the swamp
This one dropped a payload
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Maybe this thread should be entitled: "Dan Hurley on E: 1/60...."
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I'll be skipping the car crash parts. Otherwise, looking forward to this-

0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

ace wrote:I'll be skipping the car crash parts. Otherwise, looking forward to this-

The two things I can never watch are auto accidents and replays of athlete's injuries.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Glad my source (aka Jeremy schaap) didn't give me bad info :)
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Dan on E:60 - Bobby Hurley

Thx for posting the airing date and time. I set a reminder on my phone!
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Hurley special

Unread post by neil »

I don't know if this was already mentioned, but ESPN is doing a special on the Hurley family this Tuesday at 10 p.m. Definitely looks like an hour well spent to watch.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I talked to someone who saw it tonight, said it's really good.

Also, this is from an Arizona writer-
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Biggest takeaway so far? Man do I HATE Christian Laetner.
0 x
Go Rhody
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I had totally forgot about Dan and Bobby playing against each other in that Sweet 16 game because the Elite 8 game that followed was the Christian Laettner shot against Kentucky. Hearing Dan and their mother describe that experience tells you all you need to know about why these guys will not schedule each other.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

agreed TP
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

This was awesome, I never knew about Hurley's accident, I was always curious about his NBA career, but never went as far as researching. I also didn't know they matched up in the tourney. Great stuff though, good publicity. Too bad they skipped over Bobbys URI year.
0 x
GO RAMS
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Bobby Hurley and Jay Williams ...two Dookies who suffered life changing accidents.
Last edited by Ramblinrose 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

<-- that's what that picture is, from the '92 tournament when they played against each other

The timing of everything the weekend of Bobby's accident is still kind of crazy. I was at the game in Philly on Friday and saw him play. The Kings were on an east coast trip, so he'd just seen lots of friends and family. Dan had quit the Seton Hall team by that Friday. It became official Saturday night/Sunday morning and then Bobby's accident was Sunday night. They're not exaggerating his chances of survival from that. The news was really bad. Of all his injuries- collapsed lungs, torn trachea, torn ACL, and broken ribs, vertebrae, and scapula- it was the shoulder that ended up specifically affecting his play the most. They don't keep score like that, but Bobby owes his brother for changing his life and getting him back into the game.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

You wonder if a non-athlete would have survived that crash.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Seat-belt, seat-belt, seat-belt. So lucky to have survived being thrown that far from his vehicle.
0 x
Go Rhody
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

I'm big on seat belts, too.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I'm alive because I was wearing my seat belt in my accident a while ago....

I might have survived even if not, but my injuries would have been far worse.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I remember the crash vaguely (I was 11), and all my recollection was that it was a knee / leg injury that ended up affecting his playing. Didn't realize how wrong I was - and the severity of everything - until I saw the piece last night. I looked up some stuff on it today, and to Rose's question, doctors said that they don't think he would have survived if he wasn't a dude in peak physical condition.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I thoroughly enjoyed Hurley. Finally got a chance to watch last night. I just love the brotherly connection Bobby and Dan have. I hope my boys develop that kind of deep connection as they grow.
0 x
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

I thought it was pretty good. When I first saw it I was hoping it was more about the Hurley family in general, would have been nice to have seen more about senior besides just coaching Bobby, also a bit more on Danny. Still cool.
0 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Overall, a good show.
They skipped Bobby being here at URI.
No mention of Bobby running away in high school
to get away from it all.
Must have been tough for both sons having
such a demanding father.
There were actually better things on Bobby on the
Duke documentary, especially the Laettner stuff.
Laettner was a super college player, who taunted his teammates
much like Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant did in the NBA.
I guess their success justifies their means to some extent.
Not wearing a seat belt is insanity.
I went through a windshield and can attest to that.
I was actually in the back seat, and cars had front seats that
folded but didn't lock.
Flying through a car wreck is not a fun thing.
Bobby was fortunate not to have been a fatality.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Rhodyfan22
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhodyfan22 »

I thought the documentary was awesome. I wish Bobby would of been able to stay at URI a bit longer. His impact on recruiting and guard play down the line would of been very helpful. I don't think I have ever seen two guys hate losing more then Bobby and Danny. The E60 just made me believe it more.

I live in the philly area. I have seen URI play @ St Joes, @ Temple and @ Lasalle the past 6 or 7 years. I usually try to get the games early, being its the only chance I get to see URI live. Hurleys first year the game @ Temple I got down there early as usual. Bobby was out there in gym clothes working full speed with Mike Powell, X, Ryan Brooks and others. I was close to the court and he was going over the scouting report towards the end. That day URI had just been eliminated from A10 tourney play. You would of never known that by the intensity Bobby was showing a hour or so before Tip off. The guy looked like he just ran a marathon. Let me say I saw a lot of tough loses in that building years prior. That day would be no different. But URI had little business in that game. But boy what a effort they showed. I loved the intensity Bobby and Danny show on the side lines. Do they go over the top at times? Sure. But they are all in. Bobby and Danny both got T's during the game. Anyone who remembers that game knows how bad the calls were. I'm shocked neither of them were ejected.

Three days later I went to see them play St Joe's, I kind of knew going in it was going in it could be rough coming off that effort. It was. Joe's took it to URI. I believe it was their worse lose of the year. I was very close to the bench and there was a moment where Joes was up 25 or so late and Martelli was still working the refs. Both Danny and Bobby looked at one another and you could feel their anger. I remember anxiously awaiting the post game handshake. That was their last road game of the season. That year was filled with a ton of great efforts. I remember Bobby tweeted after that game that he hinted emotionally he had nothing left. Just another example of everything that they put in.

The next year is huge for the both of them. Bobby is a tough situation at ASU. While I believe he can get it done there. It is going to take serious time. I don't have to say anything about Dan that hasn't already been said on here the past two years. I think Bobby was a huge help for Dan at Wagner and his first year here at URI. More then the average person may think. I hope URI gets it done this year and not only is in the tournament. But makes some noise as well.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Thanks for the good post, Rhodyfan22. It was a special thing that first year with the brothers Hurley on the sideline. I would often just watch the two of them from my seat in 205 rather than the product on the floor during certain games. Bobby needed one of those leashes/tethers as much as Dan did! Can you imagine the refs with both brothers berating them the whole game?!

BTW, I love your avatar. Ulmer was intentionally tripped and should have been put on the line to beat UNC. I was there (right behind Rhody bench due to the huge generosity of Neil and Matt) and we all saw it. The ESPN crew correctly mentioned that tripping -- even without intent -- was an automatic foul and a "point of emphasis" in 2009-10 season. Amazing (maybe not) the refs cowardly swallowed their whistles to let the Heels win.

0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

the worst part of that is watching the idiot Baron making the travelling motion, trying to call travelling on Ulmer
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Robbed of so much in those years. Cant even get a fair call in the NIT?

I caught the E:60. I really want Dan to have a big year.

Funny I turned the channel during another airing and I heard them discussing Coach K potentially leaving Duke for the NBA, but I think it was Bobby or someone had the "Lets go all in on the next year" discussion with Coach K.

I thought that was slightly strange when DH did it. But now I feel like it absolutely was done being well aware of the Bobby/Coach K thing.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Rhodyfan22 wrote:I thought the documentary was awesome. I wish Bobby would of been able to stay at URI a bit longer. His impact on recruiting and guard play down the line would of been very helpful. I don't think I have ever seen two guys hate losing more then Bobby and Danny. The E60 just made me believe it more.

I live in the philly area. I have seen URI play @ St Joes, @ Temple and @ Lasalle the past 6 or 7 years. I usually try to get the games early, being its the only chance I get to see URI live. Hurleys first year the game @ Temple I got down there early as usual. Bobby was out there in gym clothes working full speed with Mike Powell, X, Ryan Brooks and others. I was close to the court and he was going over the scouting report towards the end. That day URI had just been eliminated from A10 tourney play. You would of never known that by the intensity Bobby was showing a hour or so before Tip off. The guy looked like he just ran a marathon. Let me say I saw a lot of tough loses in that building years prior. That day would be no different. But URI had little business in that game. But boy what a effort they showed. I loved the intensity Bobby and Danny show on the side lines. Do they go over the top at times? Sure. But they are all in. Bobby and Danny both got T's during the game. Anyone who remembers that game knows how bad the calls were. I'm shocked neither of them were ejected.

Three days later I went to see them play St Joe's, I kind of knew going in it was going in it could be rough coming off that effort. It was. Joe's took it to URI. I believe it was their worse lose of the year. I was very close to the bench and there was a moment where Joes was up 25 or so late and Martelli was still working the refs. Both Danny and Bobby looked at one another and you could feel their anger. I remember anxiously awaiting the post game handshake. That was their last road game of the season. That year was filled with a ton of great efforts. I remember Bobby tweeted after that game that he hinted emotionally he had nothing left. Just another example of everything that they put in.

The next year is huge for the both of them. Bobby is a tough situation at ASU. While I believe he can get it done there. It is going to take serious time. I don't have to say anything about Dan that hasn't already been said on here the past two years. I think Bobby was a huge help for Dan at Wagner and his first year here at URI. More then the average person may think. I hope URI gets it done this year and not only is in the tournament. But makes some noise as well.
This whole "I don't think I have ever seen two guys hate losing more then Bobby and Danny" is based off of what? You really think that they hate losing more than Izzo, Coach K., Sean Miller, or any coach? Find me a coach who likes losing. So if you act like a cry baby, scream and yell, etc., that means you hate losing more than the coach on the other bench?

I guess Tom Landry, Dean Smith, Scotty Bowman, and Larry Brown must like losing more than Dan Hurley. I guess would could throw in Michael Jordan and Bill Russell too. The Hurley brothers clearly hate losing more than those guys.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Damn, PM3. Just a little bit of innocent hyperbole there by rhodyfan22, no need to lose your shit. Good post, 22.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Actually, saying nobody like losing more, does not mean others like losing less, unless I'm missing something.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

So are those other guys "crybabies" too since that seems to be the label you are giving Dan and Bob?
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

Coming to a theater near you

0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

ha.. i will make sure Jeremy Schaap sees this !
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

bigappleram wrote:So are those other guys "crybabies" too since that seems to be the label you are giving Dan and Bob?
1) I haven't lost any thing. I think statements that "nobody has more (blank) than so-and-so" are silly. We all hate to lose. But...

2) Some people are better at compartmentalizing losses and adversity...channeling that. Others throw a fit and act like jag-bags. So yes, Dan acts like a cry-baby on the sidelines on any borderline call. Who does he think he is, Bill Laimbeer?!

When you act like a turd, it really is a detriment. I really, really think Bo Ryan was a great coach. But his whining, obnoxiousness on the sidelines, and his post-game belly aching following the loss to Duke in the title game all contribute to me souring on him.

The same could happen to Dan, after he takes URI to the title game.
0 x