NCAA Coaching Carousel - 2016

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

NCAA Coaching Carousel - 2016

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I know we had one of these threads last offseason so I figured I'd start up another one.

Jim Crews out at SLU
Travis Ford out at OK St.

And I hear Rutgers is looking for a coach, too.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: NCAA Coaching Carousel - 2016

Unread post by ramster »

SmartyBarrett wrote:I know we had one of these threads last offseason so I figured I'd start up another one.

Jim Crews out at SLU
Travis Ford out at OK St.

And I hear Rutgers is looking for a coach, too.
Johnny Dawkins out at Stanford
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rutgers? Really? Wait...isn't Rhody's coach from NJ?
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

I think this is the list

Rutgers
Stanford
TCU
James Madison
Tulane
Saint Louis
Drexel
UTSA
Central Florida
San Francisco
Oklahoma State
Delaware
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

A few more:

UNLV
Santa Clara
Cornell
Maryland-Baltimore County
Central Connecticut
North Carolina A&T
Wright State
0 x
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

Can't forget UTRGV.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

860, excuse yourself.....sounds like you were choking on something... :lol:
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

university of texas rio grande valley. natch
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

..but of course. household name
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Used to be called Texas-PanAmerican. Gave up one household name for another.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Not a bad hire but I'd take DH or Lonergan in a NY minute
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

after Pickeil gets done at Rutgers he will succeed whoever at UTRGV!
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Obadiah wrote:Used to be called Texas-PanAmerican. Gave up one household name for another.

Didn't we play them once?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

SmartyBarrett wrote:

I can't imagine Rutgers fans are thrilled.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Rutgers fans felt Hurley was a done deal. Then Lonergan. Rutgers needs to overcome it's past.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RF1 wrote:
SmartyBarrett wrote:

It was not out of the realm of possibility that I would have been offered the job at some point, so they should be happy they got someone who has done this for a living before to come be their coach.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:
RF1 wrote:
SmartyBarrett wrote:

It was not out of the realm of possibility that I would have been offered the job at some point, so they should be happy they got someone who has done this for a living before to come be their coach.
That's true, I did give them your name when I turned it down a couple days ago...
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

As did I.....
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

Pikiell is a good hire for Rutgers, with his experience building a program up from basically nothing. If I was a Rutgers fan, I'd be upset that they couldn't get Dan, but Pikiell is a solid hire. Obviously, the Big 10 is a whole different level from the America East, but some of the little things that he was able to do (such as help fundraising for a new facility) should serve him well at Rutgers. Bottom line is Rutgers needed someone who could help build the program's foundation and, for having their top choices remove themselves from consideration, were still able to make a solid hire.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Pikiell is a rising star imo.

But he's got a huge challenge facing him.

They do have the resources though.

He'll get them back to respectability. Beyond that will be tough.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

guess that depends on how one defines 'respectability'...I don't think he will ever get them to .500 in conference play...
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I don't agree there at all.

All depends on how he recruits. I would expect them to get closer to .500 in a couple of years. Over that, could take a little longer.

Again, just like here with Dan, what is his ceiling? Way too far off to tell, he just got hired!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Just sayin'...I don't think...even 5 years from now, they will reach .500 in conference.
That doesn't seem like a high standard for 'respectability'...and, I don't see them reaching it.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Maybe Rutgers is DOOMED to be like the URI football team.....losers for eternity.......

There's hope for both, someday.....maybe
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Rutgers got what they deserved.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

ATPTourFan wrote:Rutgers got what they deserved.
Rutgers should have waited for Captain Oblivious.....

AKA.......

Rick Pitino.

He'll need a new job pretty soon.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

^ Very good. How/if Ricky P gets out of that one will be interesting to see...
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Pitino to St Louis.....Cooley to Stanford....you read it here first....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Ramulous wrote:Pitino to St Louis.....Cooley to Stanford....you read it here first....
Very interesting call...I can't see it, but....happener things have stranged...
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Cooley to Pitt....Preston Murphy to providence....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Cooley to Pitt makes a lot of sense. It is a big step up to the ACC which could have 6 Sweet-16 teams this year. With Cooley likely to lose Dunn and Bentil and take a step backwards, it might be a wise move on his part. I have heard people with connections say when a good opportunity arose, he would be on the first train out of Providence. They said he has realized that he has brought PC as far as it can go. While he hasn't gotten any sniffs in the past, the fact that he finally just won an NCAA game (all be it barely) might increase his stock this year. Could be a very tough month for PC athletics with Leaman going to Wisconsin and Cooley heading out as well.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Isn't ACC to Big 12 a step down? Why would Dixon do that? Further, I don't see Cooley leaving Providence unless he gets seriously overwhelmed.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Dixon is a TCU alum and the speculation is that after 14 years it might be mutually beneficial for him to move on and them to bring in their own guy (the Pres and AD that hired him are long gone).

Still an odd move, though. And not sure Ed would be a candidate or be interested. I can almost guarantee that Preston will not be a candidate at PC. Preston needs a low-major job to get his coaching resume in order for a job like PC (or someday URI, maybe).
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I don't see Cooley getting seriously overwhelmed......

He's done a good job getting to 3 Dances in a row, but has only won 1 game, and that was a gift.

Of course we should talk.....
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

RF1 wrote:Cooley to Pitt makes a lot of sense. It is a big step up to the ACC which could have 6 Sweet-16 teams this year. With Cooley likely to lose Dunn and Bentil and take a step backwards, it might be a wise move on his part. I have heard people with connections say when a good opportunity arose, he would be on the first train out of Providence. They said he has realized that he has brought PC as far as it can go. While he hasn't gotten any sniffs in the past, the fact that he finally just won an NCAA game (all be it barely) might increase his stock this year. Could be a very tough month for PC athletics with Leaman going to Wisconsin and Cooley heading out as well.
Has to be one of the more ridiculous posts ever. Maybe you want to get Cooley on the first train out cause your boy certainly has shown he has no answers for him (0-5). Even if Cooley was looking to get out the Pitt job may be one of the worst ones out there. He would want an easier path to the elite eight or final four. Certainly not going to get that going up against the iron of the acc. If you were to say Okla State maybe I could understand them throwing a bunch of money at him. But don't think it is about the money right now with him. If he were to win two or three games with PC in the tournament I could definitely see him looking elsewhere. But he is very competitive and when he first came to PC had a goal of a national championship. Do not think he wants to leave pc without at least having a decent run in the tournament.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

woodennickel1 wrote:
RF1 wrote:Cooley to Pitt makes a lot of sense. It is a big step up to the ACC which could have 6 Sweet-16 teams this year. With Cooley likely to lose Dunn and Bentil and take a step backwards, it might be a wise move on his part. I have heard people with connections say when a good opportunity arose, he would be on the first train out of Providence. They said he has realized that he has brought PC as far as it can go. While he hasn't gotten any sniffs in the past, the fact that he finally just won an NCAA game (all be it barely) might increase his stock this year. Could be a very tough month for PC athletics with Leaman going to Wisconsin and Cooley heading out as well.
Has to be one of the more ridiculous posts ever. Maybe you want to get Cooley on the first train out cause your boy certainly has shown he has no answers for him (0-5). Even if Cooley was looking to get out the Pitt job may be one of the worst ones out there. He would want an easier path to the elite eight or final four. Certainly not going to get that going up against the iron of the acc. If you were to say Okla State maybe I could understand them throwing a bunch of money at him. But don't think it is about the money right now with him. If he were to win two or three games with PC in the tournament I could definitely see him looking elsewhere. But he is very competitive and when he first came to PC had a goal of a national championship. Do not think he wants to leave pc without at least having a decent run in the tournament.
A national championship at PC? Wow, speaking of ridiculous posts.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Billyboy78 wrote:
woodennickel1 wrote:
A national championship at PC? Wow, speaking of ridiculous posts.
Yea well when you have not sniffed the tournament in 18 years I can see how you think that.When you don't have hard to reach goals you certainly are not going to amount to anything. What are your goals next year the CIT? LOL Or should I say beating more the one team with an RPI below 100 which you have not done in two years.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Why would Cooley leave PC unless he were being run out? He makes damn good money, has been successful, recruits well (albeit few of them see the court, uh, basketball court), and is building a nice niche for himself in the New Big East.
Going to Pitt, though in the ACC, is taking a lateral job. It's a Big East urban school stuck in the ACC, and unless Pitt comes up with another Barry Rohrssen, the Panthers will be stuck on the back end of the ACC. It's no wonder Dixon is rumored strongly for the TCU job and thinking about it. Fresh start, etc.,
POINT IS, COOLEY DOESN't NEED A FRESH START.
He's really just starting.
And started well.
Just like Hurley.
Only, thus far, Cooley's got more to show for it.
URI will do well if recruits fit in and produce and the program becomes as big as Hurley wants it to become.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I don't expect URI to ever win a national championship either. I'm not setting low goals. I'm realistic. I don't live in Fantasyland. Geesh, and I thought Sean was a douche. You're more of a jerk and more stupid than he is.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

woodennickel1 wrote:Yea well when you have not sniffed the tournament in 18 years I can see how you think that.When you don't have hard to reach goals you certainly are not going to amount to anything. What are your goals next year the CIT? LOL Or should I say beating more the one team with an RPI below 100 which you have not done in two years.
Hey friend, if you want to give your perspective about your coaching situation, then by all means. If you feel like you have to take gratuitous shots at your hosts in order to get your point across, take it somewhere else. This isn't a general college basketball forum, it is a URI message board. And it isn't a democracy. So settle down or go play somewhere else.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:I don't expect URI to ever win a national championship either. I'm not setting low goals. I'm realistic. I don't live in Fantasyland. Geesh, and I thought Sean was a douche. You're more of a jerk and more stupid than he is.
This was for WoodenAsshole, not you Bress.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Billyboy78 wrote:I don't expect URI to ever win a national championship either. I'm not setting low goals. I'm realistic. I don't live in Fantasyland. Geesh, and I thought Sean was a douche. You're more of a jerk and more stupid than he is.

So when URI had Stanford on the ropes and were on there way to the Final Four you had no hopes they could win it all that's interesting because Kentucky was not unbeatable that year.

BTW I could care less what a douche like you cares about me.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

TruePoint wrote:
woodennickel1 wrote:Yea well when you have not sniffed the tournament in 18 years I can see how you think that.When you don't have hard to reach goals you certainly are not going to amount to anything. What are your goals next year the CIT? LOL Or should I say beating more the one team with an RPI below 100 which you have not done in two years.
Hey friend, if you want to give your perspective about your coaching situation, then by all means. If you feel like you have to take gratuitous shots at your hosts in order to get your point across, take it somewhere else. This isn't a general college basketball forum, it is a URI message board. And it isn't a democracy. So settle down or go play somewhere else.

Sorry but when people take shots at my team I will respond likewise. If you want to ban me so be it I said nothing that was not true
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

bressler3south wrote:Why would Cooley leave PC unless he were being run out? He makes damn good money, has been successful, recruits well (albeit few of them see the court, uh, basketball court), and is building a nice niche for himself in the New Big East.
Going to Pitt, though in the ACC, is taking a lateral job. It's a Big East urban school stuck in the ACC, and unless Pitt comes up with another Barry Rohrssen, the Panthers will be stuck on the back end of the ACC. It's no wonder Dixon is rumored strongly for the TCU job and thinking about it. Fresh start, etc.,
POINT IS, COOLEY DOESN't NEED A FRESH START.
He's really just starting.
And started well.
Just like Hurley.
Only, thus far, Cooley's got more to show for it.
URI will do well if recruits fit in and produce and the program becomes as big as Hurley wants it to become.
I agree with you Dressler if Cooley and Hurley were just thinking about making money they would already be gone. I think they are both driven to succeed and both will eventually.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

woodennickel1 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:

Sorry but when people take shots at my team I will respond likewise. If you want to ban me so be it I said nothing that was not true
I don't want to ban you, I want you to act like an adult. You're a guest, try to be a little gracious. Like i said, you are welcome to come here and give perspective or set the record straight as you see it, but don't come here and try to pick fights.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Cooley's had better money offers?

Haven't heard that yet.

He's doing pretty well now. Isn't he around 2 mil a year total?

Certainly true for Dan though.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Thanks a lot, Billyboy.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

TCU from Pitt?
TCU is where Jim Christian went from a hot
coach to 56-73, after he left Kent State.
Pitt has not done well in the ACC in basketball.
Football money has ruined many good
basketball situations for schools.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.