NCAA Coaching Carousel - 2016

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: NCAA Coaching Carousel - 2016

Unread post by TruePoint »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:America's Team...spring weather (hopefully soon) ... bound to happen....
If you cannot find a Red Sox board to post on, please keep the Red Sox posts in the Red Sox thread. We don't need to turn every discussion on this board into a Red Sox discussion.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Whatever...feel free to quote me, but I'm not even the one that started it...so...let's all lighten up a tad?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Sorry, quoted for an example not to single you out. Please do not take offense. Nobody is in trouble. Just want to remind everyone to try to stay on topic.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I've already asked nicely to keep this on-topic and about Coaching Changes. Posts unrelated will be moved or deleted going forward.

It is annoying to open a thread thinking there's been another coaching move and read about the Red Sox, especially when we have a MLB-RedSox thread already.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

It's time for some tough love.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

With the coaching carousel seeming to be pretty dead at this point I have to say that Pitt and Georgia Tech appear to be the big losers. I just don't understand why Georgia Tech felt the need to fire their coach just to go after Pastnor. Looks like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic at best and could even be a downgrade. And I really thought Pitt could have ended up with someone better. I'm not a big Pitt guy in general, especially when it comes to football, but that felt like a top notch job opening. You play in the best basketball conference in the country, have a relatively new arena, it doesn't feel like the team needs a rebuild coming off a tourney appearance, and it seems like whoever came in should have their program in place the way they want by the time some of the old guard ACC coaches are on the way out. And instead they get a guy that had a sub .500 record in the SEC who already has a problem with one of the guys on a roster? Don't get that one.

And I'm not too keen on Bryce Drew's move. I don't see how Vanderbilt is a better option then Pitt. It didn't seem like he had any interest in the Pitt job but then jumps at Vandy? Again, don't get that one.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:With the coaching carousel seeming to be pretty dead at this point I have to say that Pitt and Georgia Tech appear to be the big losers. I just don't understand why Georgia Tech felt the need to fire their coach just to go after Pastnor. Looks like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic at best and could even be a downgrade. And I really thought Pitt could have ended up with someone better. I'm not a big Pitt guy in general, especially when it comes to football, but that felt like a top notch job opening. You play in the best basketball conference in the country, have a relatively new arena, it doesn't feel like the team needs a rebuild coming off a tourney appearance, and it seems like whoever came in should have their program in place the way they want by the time some of the old guard ACC coaches are on the way out. And instead they get a guy that had a sub .500 record in the SEC who already has a problem with one of the guys on a roster? Don't get that one.

And I'm not too keen on Bryce Drew's move. I don't see how Vanderbilt is a better option then Pitt. It didn't seem like he had any interest in the Pitt job but then jumps at Vandy? Again, don't get that one.
I thought Gregory finally got things going too. It's almost like they wasted a year holding onto him. What did they expect this year? The only way he could have kept his job was if he made it to the sweet 16? I thought the fact they made it to the NIT was really impressive
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

As for winners, I really like the Jaime Dixon and TCU pairing. Coach with a really good resume in difficult conferences that is a former alum checks off a lot of boxes if you're hiring someone. And TCU football has shown that the school can make noise in the Big 12 with the right coaching and it felt like Dixon had run his course at Pitt, so a nice change of scenery for him.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:With the coaching carousel seeming to be pretty dead at this point I have to say that Pitt and Georgia Tech appear to be the big losers. I just don't understand why Georgia Tech felt the need to fire their coach just to go after Pastnor. Looks like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic at best and could even be a downgrade. And I really thought Pitt could have ended up with someone better. I'm not a big Pitt guy in general, especially when it comes to football, but that felt like a top notch job opening. You play in the best basketball conference in the country, have a relatively new arena, it doesn't feel like the team needs a rebuild coming off a tourney appearance, and it seems like whoever came in should have their program in place the way they want by the time some of the old guard ACC coaches are on the way out. And instead they get a guy that had a sub .500 record in the SEC who already has a problem with one of the guys on a roster? Don't get that one.

Well this is pretty simple...let's look at the 2 jobs (Pitt and Vandy in context):

1) Pitt is a football school in a basketball conference...Vandy is a basketball school in a football conference.

2) In the ACC, Pitt has to try to jump Duke, UNC, Louisville, Syracuse, Virginia to get into the top-5. Otherwise, they're battling NC State, Wake Forest, and FSU for the most part to get into the middle of the standings. Those schools ain't chop liver, most years.

3) In the SEC, Vandy has to look up to Kentucky in all years. Then Florida most years and A&M some years. And then who?? Alabama, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, etc. usually make occasional NCAA appearances but they're not consistent NCAA teams. Missouri is in a down cycle of the program too. And a few years ago, Vandy beat Kentucky in the SEC tourney finals.

4) So if a successful basketball season is considered by those fan bases to be a top-3 league finish and NCAA appearances, then which job do you think has more longevity?

5) Is there that much difference in what each job would pay? Without even looking at the salaries, I would think not.

6) Recruiting. I realize Vandy has far more stringent academic standards. But with the population shifts in our country, Nashville is closer to Memphis and Atlanta...both current hotbeds for recruiting. Pitt...well, let's just say the western PA is known more for Joe Namath than it is Matt Diebler.

How's that for painting a picture of the two jobs? I imagine that Kevin Stallings had hit his ceiling with Vandy and is looking for a new challenge to close out his coaching career. That's why he moved on.
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

PeterRamTime wrote:

I thought Gregory finally got things going too. It's almost like they wasted a year holding onto him. What did they expect this year? The only way he could have kept his job was if he made it to the sweet 16? I thought the fact they made it to the NIT was really impressive
I would have thought that they would have had a better plan in place to replace Gregory. I don't really see the logic in firing Gregory to ultimately hire someone that may not be much of an upgrade (especially when it creates a situation where you are paying three different coaches). I wonder if they simply focused on Bryce Drew from the get go and got burned when his team continued to advance in the NIT, causing a situation where their backup plans accepted other positions (such as Jerod Haase of UAB or Chris Beard of UALR - names that are pure speculation on my part).
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Gregory wore out his welcome in Atlanta, because he brought nothing from his previous stop at Dayton to revitalize a moribund program.
He Gillened.
Dixon lost "it" when Barry Rohrssen departed for the big bucks at Kentucky a few years back, coached well, but didn't fulfill the Panther ACC Delusionals. He'll be revitalized and should do well, but NCAA-bound in two seasons? He'll need to score big in the recruiting wars. Then again, he may be hampered by academic entrance requirements....
Stallings is a good coach, but Pitt made a lateral move with him. They needed to hire a young, dynamic Hurley-type guy. Pitt may turn-out to become a dead-end job in a basketball-crazy conference....
Pastner, as lousy a bench coach as he is, can judge talent and get them -- but Memphis ain't Georgia Tech, academically-speaking. He'll be gone after three years max. A chancy recruit will make a horrible decision and Pastner will be held responsible.
Drew went for a better-paying job, and he'll manage just fine at Vandy, giving them a younger coach, with a bit more of an outward edge. Otherwise, he and Stallings are very similar, which fits the Commodre Community just fine.
Brad Underwood is a top-notch choice at Oklahoma State. He's the best hire of 'em all! SFA was a great team to watch the past few seasons....
St. Louis will be better in a couple of years as the grease-factor inundates the Mississippi with 43 recruits for 6 spots......
I wonder when Two-Pump Charlie jumps to the NBA for one last fling????????
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:Well this is pretty simple...let's look at the 2 jobs (Pitt and Vandy in context):

1) Pitt is a football school in a basketball conference...Vandy is a basketball school in a football conference.

2) In the ACC, Pitt has to try to jump Duke, UNC, Louisville, Syracuse, Virginia to get into the top-5. Otherwise, they're battling NC State, Wake Forest, and FSU for the most part to get into the middle of the standings. Those schools ain't chop liver, most years.

3) In the SEC, Vandy has to look up to Kentucky in all years. Then Florida most years and A&M some years. And then who?? Alabama, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, etc. usually make occasional NCAA appearances but they're not consistent NCAA teams. Missouri is in a down cycle of the program too. And a few years ago, Vandy beat Kentucky in the SEC tourney finals.

4) So if a successful basketball season is considered by those fan bases to be a top-3 league finish and NCAA appearances, then which job do you think has more longevity?

5) Is there that much difference in what each job would pay? Without even looking at the salaries, I would think not.

6) Recruiting. I realize Vandy has far more stringent academic standards. But with the population shifts in our country, Nashville is closer to Memphis and Atlanta...both current hotbeds for recruiting. Pitt...well, let's just say the western PA is known more for Joe Namath than it is Matt Diebler.

How's that for painting a picture of the two jobs? I imagine that Kevin Stallings had hit his ceiling with Vandy and is looking for a new challenge to close out his coaching career. That's why he moved on.
1. Who cares where the sports rank at their schools? Pitt basketball due to their conference affiliation is better positioned for success then Vanderbilt.

2 and 3. Top 5 is an arbitrary cut off that you set to make Vanderbilt seem better. The real cutoff that matters is how many schools can each conference realistically put in the tournament. And in that regard Pitt is in a better position then Vanderbilt.

4. So now top 3? Again a totally meaningless and arbitrary cut off. In terms of longevity, they're about equal in that regards since at least the early to mid 90's. This doesn't seem to favor either school either way.

5. Neither of us care to do the research here, so we can just say this doesn't favor either school either way.

6. As you state Vanderbilt has higher academic standards, clear disadvantage for them. And if you're going to cite Nashville and Atlanta as positives for Vanderbilt then you have to give Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washington DC to Pitt as they're about the same distance as the cities you used. And I'd say the three cities that are pro Pitt are better recruiting areas then the two for Vanderbilt. Another advantage for Pitt.

To me Pitt seems to be a better job then Vanderbilt, and Vanderbilt's last coach seems to agree with me. That said, this is a long way of saying that Bryce Drew's decision process seems off, even if he feels Vanderbilt is the better of the two jobs. It made no sense for him to seemingly not even listen to Pitt but then jump at Vanderbilt, especially when he didn't know the Vanderbilt job was even a possibility when he turned down Pitt.
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Tubby Smith to Memphis, opening up the Texas Tech job

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... his-tigers
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:Well this is pretty simple...let's look at the 2 jobs (Pitt and Vandy in context):

1. Who cares where the sports rank at their schools? Pitt basketball due to their conference affiliation is better positioned for success then Vanderbilt.

2 and 3. Top 5 is an arbitrary cut off that you set to make Vanderbilt seem better. The real cutoff that matters is how many schools can each conference realistically put in the tournament. And in that regard Pitt is in a better position then Vanderbilt.

4. So now top 3? Again a totally meaningless and arbitrary cut off. In terms of longevity, they're about equal in that regards since at least the early to mid 90's. This doesn't seem to favor either school either way.

5. Neither of us care to do the research here, so we can just say this doesn't favor either school either way.

6. As you state Vanderbilt has higher academic standards, clear disadvantage for them. And if you're going to cite Nashville and Atlanta as positives for Vanderbilt then you have to give Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washington DC to Pitt as they're about the same distance as the cities you used. And I'd say the three cities that are pro Pitt are better recruiting areas then the two for Vanderbilt. Another advantage for Pitt.

To me Pitt seems to be a better job then Vanderbilt, and Vanderbilt's last coach seems to agree with me. That said, this is a long way of saying that Bryce Drew's decision process seems off, even if he feels Vanderbilt is the better of the two jobs. It made no sense for him to seemingly not even listen to Pitt but then jump at Vanderbilt, especially when he didn't know the Vanderbilt job was even a possibility when he turned down Pitt.
As a reply to my reply...
1. Who cares where the sport ranks at a school? Well, most coaches do. That's why Rick Pitino didn't take the Michigan job. Would Kentucky ever go after a big name football coach? Hell no...because they butter their bread with hoops. You honestly think Pitt in the hoops-crazy and deep ACC is better positioned for basketball success than Vandy in the SEC...where basketball season (at schools other than UK and Vandy) is seen as a bridge between bowl season and spring football??? I just listed 6 ACC schools which have better basketball programs and pedigrees than Pitt.

2/3. Top 5 is arbitrary? You're right...we could go 8 deep in the ACC if we add in NC State, FSU, and I totally forgot Notre Dame hoops too. The SEC...let's UK, currently relevant A&M, most years Florida...and then who? Vandy, that's who...a program that can be expect to be from 2nd to 4th place in SEC hoops. Agree, the ACC can put more schools in. But Pitt will have a harder time cracking the top 6-7 in the ACC than Vandy making the top-4 in the SEC.

4. We are talking about the here and now...the present. Not many coaches get fired for being in the top-3 and going to the NCAA. In fact, many get raises. That's not arbitrary. Tom Crean would've been fired this year had he not accomplished both. John Groce at Illinois is on his way next year.

5. I did a little research. Vandy paid $2.1 million all-in (including incentives). As a private institution, there's no breakdown. Pitt paid Dixon $1.4 million but his incentives brought his pay between $2.2 to $3.2 depending on the article and how those extras are computed.

Bottom line...reaching and maintaining basketball success is easier (not easy) at SEC Vandy than ACC Pitt.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

LOYALTY HAS ITS LIMITS!

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... h-thursday

Personally, I figured he'd be more concerned with the UNLV font....
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I have felt that your ACC pecking order has been off.

Still, Pitt thrived in a deep big east for a decade. Football school? IDK, they have things going for them on the football field but really there is no reason to say that Pitt is more of a football school than a basketball school over the past 20 years.

They are like 4-5 range in the ACC division they are in for football. Not even the conference.

I love that rb Connor though. Hope he has an awesome year and he puts cancer behind him.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Chris Beard better be all that if he's going to play games like that with UNLV. Check his wiki page, the guy is the basketball version of a job hopper.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_B ... asketball)
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Does this mean that any player he got during his 6 days as coach now gets his release?

In all seriousness, the whole thing is just because of dominos.
Brian Gregory gets ousted by Ga Tech
Josh Pastner takes Ga Tech job (partly to avoid his own ouster in the future)
Tubby Smith leaves Texas Tech and takes the Memphis job vacated by Pastner
So now Texas Tech is open. Personally I have no problem with the guy taking the Tech job.
It's the dominos falling
I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Seawrightspostgame wrote:I have felt that your ACC pecking order has been off.

Still, Pitt thrived in a deep big east for a decade. Football school? IDK, they have things going for them on the football field but really there is no reason to say that Pitt is more of a football school than a basketball school over the past 20 years.

They are like 4-5 range in the ACC division they are in for football. Not even the conference.

I love that rb Connor though. Hope he has an awesome year and he puts cancer behind him.
The Big East wasn't as deep as you think. It was always top heavy (Nova, Pitt, Cuse, UCONN, BC with some good years and GTown too). But it was bad at the bottom most years...Seton Hall, PC, Rutgers, St. John's were awful. Then the league over expanded...adding good teams (LVille, Marquette) and bringing in bad teams too (S. Florida, DePaul, Miami).

Ask people at Pitt, western PA if Pitt is a football first school and they'll tell you. They talk about their former rivalry with Penn State and WVU...and it's not the basketball games that they talk about.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

In Dan's first season here, they had five returning scholarship players, three of whom were seniors (Malesevic, Brooks, Malone plus Powell and Buchanan), which was a ridiculously low number. UNLV will be lucky to have five guys back. That place is a mess. They've made their coaching search so public, starting with the whole Cronin thing and then publicizing the 9-4 vote in favor of Beard. It's not a great look, going back to firing Rice mid-season.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

If Kevin Ollie gets hired to the Lakers.... what does that do for New England basketball. More importantly what does that do for URI/PC in New England.

I hope he goes. Then DH has a huge year with this team staying healthy and really coming together. Then things really look different around here.

I wonder who Uconn would look to hire? Cooley?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

UConn is a four time NCAA champion,
with the full backing of the administration
and the entire state of Connecticut.
If Ollie goes, believe me, that's a job
other coaches will kill to get.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:UConn is a four time NCAA champion,
with the full backing of the administration
and the entire state of Connecticut.
If Ollie goes, believe me, that's a job
other coaches will kill to get.
True, true and true. UConn will not want for long.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

And I'm sure if UConn's job opens up, we'll hear a certain name again.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

No way on this earth is he ready for UConn.
Sorry.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:No way on this earth is he ready for UConn.
Sorry.
I agree. But I bet his name comes up. Stanford fans 3000 miles away had him on their list.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Stanford is a decent program, but nowhere near what UConn is....
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Also think of some of the names fans here have presented when we've talked about coaches. Fans will say what fans will say, but Dam isn't going to UConn. At least not this time. Maybe the next time they hire a coach.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

UConn first choice could be Cooley
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

UConn's first choice at this point would be a UConn guy....
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

I was thinking Dan was not qualified.

Matt Doherty ran UNC into the ground. UCLA has fell off since Howland's departure. Uconn has NCAA Men's basketball figured out but they aren't immune to taking some steps back.

Just saying it could shake things up.

I would imagine Uconn would hire an established coach. Just getting Ollie that job took some gamesmanship. They obviously lucked out.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Being a Lakers fan I would be very surprised if they got Ollie. I think it's Luke Walton's job if he wants it.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Shaolin Swat
ARD

steveystuds06 wrote:Being a Lakers fan I would be very surprised if they got Ollie. I think it's Luke Walton's job if he wants it.
Question is, would he want it? It's definitely a destination job, but right now that organization is a mess. There is some talent there and players will always want to play in LA, but after this past year, would (or could) Walton choose to wait for a job to open up that is set up for immediate success? I'd have to imagine that taking on what could be a 3-4 season rebuild would damage his "Star factor" as a coach.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Shaolin Swat wrote:
steveystuds06 wrote:Being a Lakers fan I would be very surprised if they got Ollie. I think it's Luke Walton's job if he wants it.
Question is, would he want it? It's definitely a destination job, but right now that organization is a mess. There is some talent there and players will always want to play in LA, but after this past year, would (or could) Walton choose to wait for a job to open up that is set up for immediate success? I'd have to imagine that taking on what could be a 3-4 season rebuild would damage his "Star factor" as a coach.
I agree with your thoughts on Walton - he's in a strong position right now, and can probably take a "win now" job with a team that's ready to compete. If I was hiring a coach for a pro team, I think him and Jeff Van Gundy would be atop my interview list.

However, I do think the Lakers' job is better than their record would imply. They have Randle, Russell, Clarkson and their draft pick this year, as long as it's in the Top 3. There is a good chance that would be Simmons or Ingram, both of whom are good players. And they are the Lakers, so I think they're always going to at least get meetings with the top free agents, and they have shown an ability to sign them in the past. I do agree with you though that the management is a mess - Jeannie probably needs to step in for Jim for them to hire some competent front office staff and to regain credibility within the league.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Ollie played with Westbrook. Westbrook is an LA guy. Lakers are starless now. There are different opinions of this, but I said Ollie because I saw someone say that only Ollie and Walton are legit candidates at this point.

Of course everyone has an opinion. But I'm guessing Ollie's potential is tied to way more than his success at Uconn. He is an NBA guy. And has more of a connection to Westbrook.

I dont think that way of thinking is perfect. But a certain coach was just hired in DC because of his connection to KD.

Not sure jobs are looked at in a vacuum. For whatever reason LA hasnt been landing stars over the past few years, you have to think that things will revert to normal, where people gladly take a job in one of the most sought after markets making millions to be involved in basketball.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

One would think Cooley would be all over a job like UConn if they came calling. Multiple time national champ, great fan following, top notch facilities, large diverse campus appealing to recruits. I just don't think he is at their level. One Ncaa win and generally not living up to seed expectations is not going to interest Uconn. It may be good enough for a little religious college in Providence but it isn't for a big state u that has won titles.
Last edited by RF1 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

hrstrat57 wrote:UConn first choice could be Cooley
No way- he wouldn't even be short list
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

1) Dan would not be considered by UCONN. So Dan is not going to UCONN.
2) Cooley would not be considered by UCONN. So Cooley is not going to UCONN.

UCONN basketball has a national profile...they're not going to cast a net for some regional coach. This isn't the mid-80's when they hired Calhoun.

I would bet that they can lure a big name coach with a proven record of winning big. (Lon Kruger, Sean Miller, Tony Bennett, etc.).
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

I was thinking that Rhode Island basketball would be a little bit elevated thats all. Been a long time since Uconn basketball has been in flux.

UVA to UConn? If you say so.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

UCONN is a top tier program. Top coaches will line up. New England is not going to go wild over URI because UCONN has an off year.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:1) Dan would not be considered by UCONN. So Dan is not going to UCONN.
2) Cooley would not be considered by UCONN. So Cooley is not going to UCONN.

UCONN basketball has a national profile...they're not going to cast a net for some regional coach. This isn't the mid-80's when they hired Calhoun.

I would bet that they can lure a big name coach with a proven record of winning big. (Lon Kruger, Sean Miller, Tony Bennett, etc.).
I think the reason this is different and not the 80's when they hired Calhoun and that they can lure a big name coach might be...because they hired Calhoun in the mid-80s?
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

UConn will have to go big time on this hire. They are a crossroads, playing in the mediocre American. They are a National program, they have a brand, but if they blow this hire, where will they be in 5 years? Where Memphis is right now, that's where. They have to avoid that at all costs.

I would think they would be looking for a big splash; a Shaka sort of hire. Not Cools or Hurley; not yet.
0 x
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

UConn certainly is a national brand, but is a top tier coach in a major conference going to look favorably on moving to the AAC?
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

If UCONN wanted to make a HUGE splash, I would honestly try to talk Geno into taking over the men's program. Despite reports of being a total egomaniac a-hole, the guy is beloved by UCONN faithful. He wouldn't have to move, he knows the terrain in Storrs (i.e. admissions people, academics support staff, etc.) they'd gave him a pay raise, and then they could promote one of his long time assistants to take over the women's program.

I'm not sure what the drawback would be for UCONN or Geno. (There may be some but I haven't given it too much thought, to be honest.)
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:If UCONN wanted to make a HUGE splash, I would honestly try to talk Geno into taking over the men's program. Despite reports of being a total egomaniac a-hole, the guy is beloved by UCONN faithful. He wouldn't have to move, he knows the terrain in Storrs (i.e. admissions people, academics support staff, etc.) they'd gave him a pay raise, and then they could promote one of his long time assistants to take over the women's program.

I'm not sure what the drawback would be for UCONN or Geno. (There may be some but I haven't given it too much thought, to be honest.)
This is the most hilarious thing I've read on this board, maybe ever. I would not entrust a good high school boys program to Geno. Men's basketball is a completely different sport than woman's basketball, and I have more experience with the men's game than Geno does. It would be a splash, all right. Followed by some gurgling sounds, then a thud as UConn's men's basketball bottomed out at the bottom of the ocean.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Here goes TP's dumb ass post of the day.
His disdain for women's sports knows no bounds.
Geno in one second knows more about the game than
His Ignorance does in his entire life.
PMM, I actually thought of the same idea as you.
Outside the box thinking.
Geno is a great teacher of the game, and fundamentally,
he's miles ahead of any men's coach.
The only drawback I see would be in recruiting,
until Geno got to know what's what in men's recruiting.
UConn would scoop the national headline for years to come.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Pitino and Calipari among countless college coaches in basketball and football have tried to go pro and were clearly knowledgeable about the game and yet fell flat. I don't think Geno would just automatically get it because he's been so good at women's basketball, though I wouldn't bet against him. That's great that fundamentally he's miles ahead of any coach, but how does he get through to players that came of age in the AAU setting? Though it would be fun to see him win with the men considering the rivalry he had with Calhoun.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

All true.
Geno's blunt abrasive manner might
make some of the pampered AAU types cry and
go home.
He's need to find the type of kids like Dan would,
who have thick skin and tough minds.
On the other hand, as I've said,
anyone who can make 13 women work together
and excel, year after year, decade after decade,
to me, is a miracle worker.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:Here goes TP's dumb ass post of the day.
His disdain for women's sports knows no bounds.
Geno in one second knows more about the game than
His Ignorance does in his entire life.
PMM, I actually thought of the same idea as you.
Outside the box thinking.
Geno is a great teacher of the game, and fundamentally,
he's miles ahead of any men's coach.
The only drawback I see would be in recruiting,
until Geno got to know what's what in men's recruiting.
UConn would scoop the national headline for years to come.
I like how because I don't have the same (hilariously wrong) opinion as you do, I am ignorant and my post is a dumb ass post. I have absolutely zero disdain for women's basketball. What I have disdain for is the delusional narrative pedaled by ESPN and women's game honks that the game is the equal of the men's game. It isn't, nobody with a real clue thinks that it is, and even the people pushing it as such know that it isn't - which is why the men's champion doesn't play the women's champion in the grand championship game. Think about what that game would look like.

There is as much basis for thinking a women's basketball coach could coach a men's team as there is to think a volleyball or badminton coach could do it. The two sports are entirely different. They have a common origin, but they're played completely differently. That isn't an insult to the women's game, it is just the factual reality. I am sorry if you find reality offensive.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Damned right I find your pap offensive, arrogant and ignorant.
If the shoe fits, wear it.
Hilariously wrong? Go shit in a hat.
0 x