Program Enhancements

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Program Enhancements

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Since it's been reported that part of Dan's staying will once again involve enhancements.... 1.What do you think they will be?, and/or...2 What would LIKE them to be?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Re: Program Enhancements

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I haven't a clue.
I think they should try again with the uniforms...
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Would like to see the assistants' pay bumped up 25-50K.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Where do I begin....
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

STC wrote:Where do I begin....
The "Pub"....
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

D1 hockey
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

A public trial of our ridiculous mascot. With Old Rhody as the presiding judge.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Another increase to the assistant salary pool is probably a lock. The threat of losing quality assistants is a disruption Hurley and team would not want.

Team and staff could use more charters I would think.

Maybe there's a plan to transform some legacy athletic infrastructure into something like a basketball only practice facility.

We'll see soon enough.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:A public trial of our ridiculous mascot. With Old Rhody as the presiding judge.
Yes...bring back the Rhody Ram that was athletic enough to do backflips in full gear, giant head and all, at last year's A10 tourney. ;)
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

The Ryan center is at their disposal whenever they want it. Players have keys to get into the Ryan center to shoot around whenever they want or at least they used to. No need for a practice facility unless I'm missing something. Coaching pool increase and charter flights sound right as the major enhancements.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

That's why I said maybe on the practice facility thing.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I see a practice facility as something that is a long way off, if at all.

For that to happen, big bucks have to roll around, as in multiple Dance trips and the resulting major increase in revenue that would go along with that.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I think increasing the assistant salaries and possibly doing more charters is the likely outcome. It is not huge dollars and URI could probably find some monies. Anything more than that is probably not realistic at this time.

Things could really improve down the road if Dan does get us to the NCAA Tournament. Rhody would get NCAA revenue and other streams would greatly increase (ticket sales/advertising/donations).
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I'm sure there is a "priority list" of program enhancements that are contingent on increased revenue from future tourney appearances.

I'm also sure that Dan knows that he has to hold up his end of the bargain for these things to happen.

Actual improvements vs. promised improvements. It will be interesting to see what he got.....
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

The hold is going to be that these improvements are based on increased revenue. Tickets, NCAA credits, donations etc. He has to get this program in the tournament or else things start falling apart. You can ask for things, which are going to be predicated on results. But the delivery is on Hurley at this point.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

That's right. Some things will not happen if he doesn't get it done.

It would be great if DH can though. Obviously.

Would make this job just that much more desirable when it comes time to look for a replacement.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

ATPTourFan wrote:Another increase to the assistant salary pool is probably a lock. The threat of losing quality assistants is a disruption Hurley and team would not want.

Team and staff could use more charters I would think.

Maybe there's a plan to transform some legacy athletic infrastructure into something like a basketball only practice facility.

We'll see soon enough.
Bumps in pay for quality assistants.

Loyal assistants?

Wouldn't another 50K on top of what the best-paid two assistants receive mean that they would be replaceable in the realm of "approaching better assistants" on the cusp of better/best non-Power 5 conferences?

Also, to others: It shouldn't be incumbent upon Coach Hurley to improve other sports' facilities by staying. That would happen if the Athletic Department reaps the rewards of its investment in the head coach and the basketball team's promise.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I like the enhancement that he stayed :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Jersey's should stay, I think they got it right this time, I think the ryan center/uri will continue to build the pub area since it has been extremely popular. I know a lot of people want a jumbotron. Otherwise the ryan center is in great shape.
0 x
GO RAMS
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Isn't instant replay an issue?
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The great irony of the fan base going through a wringer on whether Dan Hurley would leave or not is that each time we got enhancements for the URI basketball program and these enhancement and the way of life they bring to URI basketball will endure beyond Hurley. That is the great side benefit Dan Hurley has given us and this time is no different.

Some program enhancements:

• A contract extension for Dan.
• Improved compensation for the coaching staff.
• Increased number of trainers.
• Charter flights to all, games beyond the Philly, NYC, UMass arc.
• A new addition to the coaching staff.
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

CT Rhody wrote:The Ryan center is at their disposal whenever they want it. Players have keys to get into the Ryan center to shoot around whenever they want or at least they used to. No need for a practice facility unless I'm missing something. Coaching pool increase and charter flights sound right as the major enhancements.
This just simply is not true. The fact of the matter is the basketball court was taken up numerous times throughout the year, including during the season. Anytime there is a show, concert, or any other event at the Ryan center the players have no where to work on their craft late. This is why a practice facility is needed. If I recall correctly there was even a show that took place the week of the first game forcing the team out of the Ryan Center. Also a Fetty Wap concert the night before the St Joe's game comes to mind. For a program trying to be at the top of the conference the players should have access to a gym at all hours of the night if they so desire.
0 x
GansettSummer
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettSummer »

Dre3000 wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:The Ryan center is at their disposal whenever they want it. Players have keys to get into the Ryan center to shoot around whenever they want or at least they used to. No need for a practice facility unless I'm missing something. Coaching pool increase and charter flights sound right as the major enhancements.
This just simply is not true. The fact of the matter is the basketball court was taken up numerous times throughout the year, including during the season. Anytime there is a show, concert, or any other event at the Ryan center the players have no where to work on their craft late. This is why a practice facility is needed. If I recall correctly there was even a show that took place the week of the first game forcing the team out of the Ryan Center. For a program trying to be at the top of the conference the players should have access to a gym at all hours of the night if they so desire.
What's wrong with Keaney when RC isn't available?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

GBG, I've said that many times on here. Upgrade the locker room areas if need be.

They've got a ready-made practice facility sitting right there.

Yeah, it's not a shiny new state of the art facility. So what?
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

The problem with Keaney is that it's the vball facility so again the team does not have access to it whenever they want. Nor would it be right/fair to just boot vball when needed.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

They also have many BB courts in Tootell.

Again, certainly not state of the art, but functional.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

I wouldn't be shocked if they change Tootell West to the basketball practice area, although that would cut into the intramural sports
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

rambone 78 wrote:They also have many BB courts in Tootell.

Again, certainly not state of the art, but functional.
Tootell East is going, that's where they put the new training area
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I heard there were 7-8 occasions in season when they were kicked out of Ryan. And yes, that is something Dan wants addressed.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

School should take care of hurleys requests as best they could

ryan center improvements should be getting rid of the 2 shower curtains that are black and blue

Black: getting rid of that stupid press area, put them on sideline like every other school and add more seats in that area

Blue: redoing the Rhody Pub as a legit stand alone pub featuring Rhody hoops memorabilia displaying historical Rhody hoops moments and extending it to the dead space under the scoreboard.. Sort of a green monster type of seating where you need tickets 4
0 x
Rhodekill
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodekill »

A practice facility has become an important recruiting tool as well as an important element of the program and player development..it is kind of the "arms race" that we are involved in. Many around us are doing it and it gives the program an important cache with top notch recruits. I really do not think it is something that can be put off too much longer if we want to be able to get the types of players we need to bring us to the upper levels....
0 x
"What happens next is going to be big and it's going to be beautiful "
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ElmCityRhody wrote:School should take care of hurleys requests as best they could

ryan center improvements should be getting rid of the 2 shower curtains that are black and blue

Black: getting rid of that stupid press area, put them on sideline like every other school and add more seats in that area

Blue: redoing the Rhody Pub as a legit stand alone pub featuring Rhody hoops memorabilia displaying historical Rhody hoops moments and extending it to the dead space under the scoreboard.. Sort of a green monster type of seating where you need tickets 4
God ideas ECR
I had not thought about the Press Area idea before but it makes sense
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

While all these are good ideas, the program enhancements to come will be largely driven by Dan Hurley's desires and Dan doesn't care about the press area or the Rhody pub. Hurley likes to take care of his staff, so look for a new position for Carr who will be replaced on the bench. Further word to come on who that may be.
0 x
GansettSummer
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettSummer »

Obadiah wrote:While all these are good ideas, the program enhancements to come will be largely driven by Dan Hurley's desires and Dan doesn't care about the press area or the Rhody pub. Hurley likes to take care of his staff, so look for a new position for Carr who will be replaced on the bench. Further word to come on who that may be.
Agreed, I think Hurley wants enhancements that are directed more at the team and his desires. Charters, staff increases and practice facility. He doesn't visit the pub or sit with the media during games (thankfully) so why would that be his focus when there's other areas needed to improve the program.
Last edited by GansettSummer 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Obadiah wrote:While all these are good ideas, the program enhancements to come will be largely driven by Dan Hurley's desires and Dan doesn't care about the press area or the Rhody pub. Hurley likes to take care of his staff, so look for a new position for Carr who will be replaced on the bench. Further word to come on who that may be.
Does this create an additional position? What is the timing of such an announcement?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Where is Carr going?
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Assistant Salary Pool
Charter Flights
Uninterrupted Access to Ryan
ADVERTISING and TEAM PROMOTION
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Yes, it is additional. My guess on news would be in the next month or so.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody15 wrote:Where is Carr going?
There have been rumors for a while that Carr is going to become an associate head coach and handle a lot of the day to day things so Dan can focus close to 100% on coaching/recruiting.

Other rumors that have been around are that Ty Boswell formerly of Expressions Elite would be in line to join as an assistant.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Rhodekill wrote:A practice facility has become an important recruiting tool as well as an important element of the program and player development..it is kind of the "arms race" that we are involved in. Many around us are doing it and it gives the program an important cache with top notch recruits. I really do not think it is something that can be put off too much longer if we want to be able to get the types of players we need to bring us to the upper levels....
Totally agree. I think this should be a top priority (unfortunately, it's also probably the most expensive item on the wish list).
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

GansettSummer wrote:
Agreed, I think Hurley wants enhancements that are directed more at the team and his desires. Charters, staff increases and practice facility. He doesn't visit the pub or sit with the media during games (thankfully) so why would that be his focus when there's other areas needed to improve the program.

i told agree here..

my ideas were more about program enhancements and not specific to hurley's contract

obviously on the court comes first

my ideas are so simple and easy to fix ad would DRAMATICALLY improve the ryan center

think about it.. fans all the way to the court in the stupid press area...

you can find room for the press very very easily...

but home court w/ fans all the way down to the court is a must

also, the rhody pub would do so much better if it was a legit sports bar type of thing and run correctly

a legit bar w/ rhody pride

and you tie it in under the scoreboard area..

but have a legit separation and not some stupid shower curtain

these 2 things are such an easy fix and would bring in $ $ $

it's a win-win
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote:
GansettSummer wrote:

i told agree here..

my ideas were more about program enhancements and not specific to hurley's contract

obviously on the court comes first

my ideas are so simple and easy to fix ad would DRAMATICALLY improve the ryan center

think about it.. fans all the way to the court in the stupid press area...

you can find room for the press very very easily...

but home court w/ fans all the way down to the court is a must

also, the rhody pub would do so much better if it was a legit sports bar type of thing and run correctly

a legit bar w/ rhody pride

and you tie it in under the scoreboard area..

but have a legit separation and not some stupid shower curtain

these 2 things are such an easy fix and would bring in $ $ $

it's a win-win
References that I make to the pub-icle are made with the understanding (and hope?) that dh doesn't give a ram's axx about the pub. But, man, so easy to improve. Right now, it's just a big cubicle-wall corral to shake people down for their money and time, as ineffectively as possible.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think the additional assistant is an admission by Dan that he needs help on the coaching end of things, especially late game situations.

As suggested by some on this board.

Having a calmer demeanor on the sidelines has helped him focus more on the game plan, than screaming at the officials.

Has anyone noticed, that since Dan calmed down toward the end of the season, there was less of a disparity of foul calls against us?
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The Ty Boswell addition would help on both recruiting and coaching sides. His connection to Terrell also makes it likely he brings along a recruit.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Obadiah wrote:The Ty Boswell addition would help on both recruiting and coaching sides. His connection to Terrell also makes it likely he brings along a recruit.
Jermaine Samuels would be nice. He's plays for Expressions and just the type of player we need to replace EC. I'm pretty sure he's a top 50 guy now though, so....long shot.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

The rumor about adding Boswell and moving Carr into a different role has been around for years. Maybe this will be the time it happens, but I'll believe it when I see it at this point.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Why hasn't Boswell taken a job at another school? The rumor has been around for years... It seems to me if he was serious about coaching at the college level and qualified to do so, he would have taken a spot somewhere else. Just a thought...
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

An AAU coach helping recruiting ok. But in terms of coaching ummmm no. Can't think of anything more non strategic than coaching an AAU team. Best talent wins, roll the balls out.
0 x
BornNBred33
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BornNBred33 »

Adidas contract is up June 30th....I see DH switching to Under Armour.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

BornNBred33 wrote:Adidas contract is up June 30th....I see DH switching to Under Armour.
Inside knowledge on switching to Under Armour or guess?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines