Program Enhancements

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Program Enhancements

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If we indeed are a tier 1 addidas deal, then I would think it's in a solid 6 figures.

Money talks, especially to money strapped URI.
0 x
rhodywins
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by rhodywins »

Money talks. Also many benefits may be included. Such as an increase in getting players into camps and all star games. Coaches roles at recruiting camps and AAU tourneys.
Also unis for other sports may have some effect on the whole ath, budget that may increase bb funds.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

As was said earlier, if Coach Hurley was involved in the negotiation and decision, we can trust it is in the program's best interest.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Stephanie Curry choosing Under Armour raised its profile big time.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Tom Brady, Jordan Spieth.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

looks like they aren't listening to me and didn't do away w/ the press area :oops:

http://ev8.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce ... AT=Release
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Pissing off the press is always a good idea. Would be another great URI PR move like putting the students on the stage at Keaney.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Students should absolutely be in 103, lousy seats a lot of them anyway....at least the non angled seats that are square to the sideline.

Had freebees there last year and moved upstairs to an empty seat....lousy seats and near the V bench perfect giveaway for students....
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

You should want a student pit close to the action ....like Cameron. URI never gets that.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Pissing off the press ?
How so ?

I want to put them baseline across the entire court like mostly every other team and put seats in that section all the way to the court

If anything I be pissing off the ppl with baseline seats..
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Ok. Sorry. I like you're idea
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

ElmCityRhody wrote:Pissing off the press ?
How so ?

I want to put them baseline across the entire court like mostly every other team and put seats in that section all the way to the court

If anything I be pissing off the ppl with baseline seats..
Most programs do it this way, which always kind of confused me. You can probably get way more for the baseline seats than just cordoning off part of a single section.

re: The press section, if anything, it's going to get bigger as the team gets more successful. That's also where they put pro scouts and some visiting officials.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

I will be stubborn on this

I don't get it at all

Somehow other national powerhouses can do it but not URI ?

that press area is absolutely ridiculous

Don't forget to drape the black shower curtain

Unreal
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

let me out it this way..

who would NOT want to have seats 360 around the court for a better home court advantage ?

there are plenty of places to put the press

you put them on the sidelines

heck, you can even build a row or 2 of seats under the big screen and section that off from the cut thru

so, under my watch you

1) get a better home court advantage

2) get a sport rhody pub.. a real pub for pregame where 21 and over students and alumni can go an hour pre-game to party and get fired up for the game.. you have music and everything... it will become so popular under my watch that it will be the "IT" thing to do when we get into the top 25

join the party :)
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

If you put the press under the scoreboard you'll be obstructing a lot of people in the arena from seeing it. Doesn't make sense to do unless or until you add a center hung scoreboard. If you're truly worried about a better home court advantage you should be far more concerned with student placement then media placement.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

for the record, my 1st choice (and easiest choice) is sidelines and behind the hoops if needed like every other team
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

i was looking at gampel pavilion setup

they have the press on the sidelines and behind the hoops

if URI would finally wake up and do it this way they would not only improve our home court advantage but they also would make a lot more $

it's so simple it's silly

you would sell more seats and you get the advertising $ by the led court advertising

soooo easy

yet this befuddles those in charge
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

ECR, as far as I know it, there are no schools that put students behind the benches of opposing teams and the home team. Using that standard at Ryan means only the west sideline can be devoted entirely to students, but the unique configuration on that side makes it difficult to do that. That leaves the east side, part of which is behind the opponents bench and where opposing fans sit. At best you could use one half of that sideline, but then you take away seats behind the URI bench which are used for the paying fans and special guests. Using Cameron as an example of where students sit along the sidelines, they do so only on the side opposite to both team benches.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

i am not talking about students in the press area..

i am talking about seats in the current press area

i must not be explaining this correctly, because this is a slam dunk and easy fix
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

for what you're saying obi, the ryan center is backward for, the benches would need to be on the other side of the floor. it's tough to have students around the 50 seats for the opposing fans. when I was part of the group that ran the mob we had to fight to stay there and when athletics took it over fully is when the move came to just sidelines
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

The Ryan center is backward because when they poured the concrete floor and put the electrical pipes in for the scoreboard and sound system they put it on the wrong side of the floor. I remember this whole thing from when I got a tour of the ryan center as it was being built. I said wow students on 3 sides will make this place loud and Petro said "no, they screwed up and the benches will go here now."
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I remember sitting behind the visiting team's bench.

I fully agree the weird configuration should be done away with. Nowhere else do they have so much dead space. Press? Not sure Rhody has that much press coverage that the seating must be odd and different compared to everywhere else.

Feels like something that could be changed in 2 weeks any time.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Seawrightspostgame wrote:I remember sitting behind the visiting team's bench.

I fully agree the weird configuration should be done away with. Nowhere else do they have so much dead space. Press? Not sure Rhody has that much press coverage that the seating must be odd and different compared to everywhere else.

Feels like something that could be changed in 2 weeks any time.

hear hear !
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

under armour deal w/ UCLA worth $280 million :shock:
0 x
RhodyNJ
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RhodyNJ »

ElmCityRhody wrote:under armour deal w/ UCLA worth $280 million :shock:
And we are moving up the Adidas ranks. ;)
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

UCLA has like the maximum number of varsity programs for men and women, so wouldn't that require a huge investment by Adidas? Adidas is supplying all those teams with many layers of equipment/clothing at their highest tier.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

1 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

There's a place in Pawtucket that has something like this! It's called "Murphy's Law" and there are self-serve taps built into the tables. Gamechanger. http://murphyslawri.com/
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

How does something like this work with TIPS certification? If you have to be over 21 to get into an area I can see that not being an issue, but how does it work to keep obviously intoxicated people from drinking more?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:How does something like this work with TIPS certification? If you have to be over 21 to get into an area I can see that not being an issue, but how does it work to keep obviously intoxicated people from drinking more?
So I finally went to this place to watch a Rhody game (they were super nice btw and got us the game on a bunch of screens plus Celtics and hockey that we asked for) and I think I know how they cover this.
Basically the tap counts the total pints like a gas pump, and every time it totals up 2 pints per person at the table (might be less but we had five people and I think she said the limit was ten...), it will stop running until the server comes over, checks everything out and reauthorizes it.
I also assume the limit is less after the second time its authorized. We didn't even come close, it's an awesome novelty but the only beers were Guinness and some kind of Irish light ale, think maybe a Harp. I love Guinness but drinking more than a few pints of the stuff feels like eating a loaf of bread. They had a table with Gansett too, but the tap wasn't working.

Overall a solid place.
0 x