Hurley is staying

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Hurley is staying

Unread post by twisted3829 »

0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: Hurley is staying

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Geez...I guess if it's been tweeted, it must be true....
Now what's everyone going to DO for the rest of the week?....
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

What about Georgia Tech?...............we could have fun with this one as well.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I thought it was a no brainer?
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Good news. I wonder how this affects recruiting going forward. 3 of the 4 years now, there have been rumors that he's leaving. That's not something that's attractive to a recruit, in my opinion.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:Good news. I wonder how this affects recruiting going forward. 3 of the 4 years now, there have been rumors that he's leaving. That's not something that's attractive to a recruit, in my opinion.
What can he do about it? He can't stop people from wanting to hire him. It didn't hurt recruiting last year. We're going to have to get used to it, because we haven't even really done anything yet - wait until you see what happens then. He'll be mentioned with every job in the country.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Nice.

Hopefully the end of it and won't allow agent to be approached re the other openings. Appears loyalty to current recruits and players won out over big $$$

Integrity!

Perhaps this drives up the $$ for Lonergan, did Hurley become a play by the agent?

Doesn't matter, now we roll to an epic 16/17!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

I would like to hear Dan make a statement that he is not leaving the Rams, not just removing his name from Rutgers consideration.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Image

First off hell yes, second, this is hilarious
0 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

hrstrat57 wrote:Nice.

Hopefully the end of it and won't allow agent to be approached re the other openings. Appears loyalty to current recruits and players won out over big $$$

Integrity!

Perhaps this drives up the $$ for Lonergan, did Hurley become a play by the agent?

Doesn't matter, now we roll to an epic 16/17!
How do you know it wasn't "that job is a career-killing nuclear-fueled dumpster fire" that won out?
Not sure it guarantees he won't be approached for other opportunities, but will agree that when he wins here, there will be many many more.
0 x
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Geez...I guess if it's been tweeted, it must be true....
:lol: :lol:
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

ATP BABY !!!

NEVER DOUBT !
0 x
Surfri72
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Surfri72 »

good....I couldn't really see him leaving for that job.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

860_rhody wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Geez...I guess if it's been tweeted, it must be true....
:lol: :lol:

the almighty tweet

Great News!
Great publicity for URI also. We are better off for it.
Hurley knows exactly what he is doing.
ATP - "we're not worthy"...................remind me next March to trust you :lol: :lol:
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Koch is clear that Hurley will remain at URI for next season. Hurley is not entertaining any other offers that may come up.

http://www.providencejournal.com/articl ... /160319472
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

And that is just the news that he's staying. Once pen is to paper in next few days, we should learn of any program enhancements I would imagine. That has been the pattern.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Didn't realize that Rutgers is in a bigger NCAA slump, than us. Last ticket punched was in 1991.
0 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

And after that it's on to finding out who our uniform provider for the upcoming season will be. The Adidas contract ends June 30th.
0 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

It's encouraging to know there are still coaches out there who value loyalty and commitment over the almighty dollar. Dan has stood true to his word, and by spurning the Rutgers offer (for a second time), he's shown the URI faithful that he's here to finish what he started. We all know he won't be at URI forever, but these next few years have the potential to be very special. The Ryan Center better be rocking for that first home game next season! The players and especially our head coach deserve as much. Can't wait for next season!

GO RHODY!!!
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Rhodymob05 wrote:Didn't realize that Rutgers is in a bigger NCAA slump, than us. Last ticket punched was in 1991.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Rhodymob05 wrote:Didn't realize that Rutgers is in a bigger NCAA slump, than us. Last ticket punched was in 1991.
Thats the only ticket they ever punched.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Billyboy78 wrote:Good news. I wonder how this affects recruiting going forward. 3 of the 4 years now, there have been rumors that he's leaving. That's not something that's attractive to a recruit, in my opinion.
Funny - Archie Miller is still able to get recruits. Shaka didn't seem to have a problem. How many times does it need to be said that bigger schools coveting your coach is a GOOD thing. It's actually a great thing.

More publicity. You become a coach in demand...both to have lead your program and to play for.

No one wants to eat at an empty restaurant, they want to be where it's popular - because lots of customers means they're there for a reason.

The Baron cafe sucked and was full of a couple weird people that liked that their food didn't have any seasoning and was rarely cooked properly.

Myself, talented recruits, and everyone else that has good taste will be hanging out at Hurley's for at least the next year :-D
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Seawrightspostgame wrote:
Thats the only ticket they ever punched.
That's not accurate. They also went in 75, 76, 79, 83, and 89. Went to the Final Four in 76.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Save this page. If (and that's big if) URI does NOT make the NCAA tournament next year, what will be the posts regarding Hurley then?

3/16/16 - "I'm so glad Danny Hurley is coaching our Rams. He's a great coach."
3/16/17 (if URI is not in the NCAA) - "I'm so glad Thor pulled the plug on the Hurley regime. He couldn't coach."
0 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:Save this page. If (and that's big if) URI does NOT make the NCAA tournament next year, what will be the posts regarding Hurley then?

3/16/17 (if URI is not in the NCAA) - "I'm so glad Thor pulled the plug on the Hurley regime. He couldn't coach."
Well if Hurley doesn't win next year with the talent we'll have on the roster, then any mildly intelligent fan SHOULD question his coaching abilities.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Is Dan going to the Final Four?
We lost a couple of coaches who got solicited there
by other schools.
I just hope URI doesn't overreact with an extension.

RR02, that Final Four team was 31-0 going into the Final Four.
Indiana 32-0 won it that year.
They played in an old theater at the time, with stands only on one side.
That team was fun to watch at a time when North Eastern schools never did
too much.
Here's some more on then:
"There were the nicknames, too. Phil Sellers, known as Phil the Thrill; Eddie Jordan, known as Fast Eddie; James Bailey, known as Jammin’ James; and Mike Dabney, known as Dip: a cast of colorful characters who put Rutgers on the map with their high-octane play."
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Not sure why Zags is saying this now...

If Pat Hobbs had been the Rutgers AD 3 years ago @dhurley15 would've taken the job then , source tells @SNYtv
1:14pm - 16 Mar 16
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Geez, I wonder how that PC guy who had such inside
information on all of this, and said Hurley was definitely gone,
thinks now?
Now, it would be really nice if Dan could beat them finally.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

the tide is a turning...

i can feel it in my bones !

Go Rhody !
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:RR02, that Final Four team was 31-0 going into the Final Four.
Indiana 32-0 won it that year.
They played in an old theater at the time, with stands only on one side.
That team was fun to watch at a time when North Eastern schools never did
too much.
Here's some more on then:
"There were the nicknames, too. Phil Sellers, known as Phil the Thrill; Eddie Jordan, known as Fast Eddie; James Bailey, known as Jammin’ James; and Mike Dabney, known as Dip: a cast of colorful characters who put Rutgers on the map with their high-octane play."
It's really shocking to me that with how bad Rutgers has been over the last two and a half decades and trying to elevate to the Big 10 that one of their legends was shown the door after only three years when it seemed like talent was coming into the program. I can't say I've followed them at all, so I don't know how bad things have truly gotten on the court, but that just seems like an odd situation for any coach to step into.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

NJRhodyFan wrote:
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:Save this page. If (and that's big if) URI does NOT make the NCAA tournament next year, what will be the posts regarding Hurley then?

Well if Hurley doesn't win next year with the talent we'll have on the roster, then any mildly intelligent fan SHOULD question his coaching abilities.
Right. I think, barring anything catastrophic happening like it did this year, this team should be in the tournament next year. Not making it would be disappointing and the coach will be criticized. Hell, he was this year. He also isn't going to get fired regardless, so that part is a little foolish.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

NJRhodyFan wrote:It's encouraging to know there are still coaches out there who value loyalty and commitment over the almighty dollar. Dan has stood true to his word, and by spurning the Rutgers offer (for a second time), he's shown the URI faithful that he's here to finish what he started. We all know he won't be at URI forever, but these next few years have the potential to be very special. The Ryan Center better be rocking for that first home game next season! The players and especially our head coach deserve as much. Can't wait for next season!

GO RHODY!!!
How/why do you make that connection? Makes for a nice story for the emotions...but, thinking it's more likely that the whole situation (including money, roster, future prospects, environment, short term investment for long term potential) just made sense to not take it. I think it's 'possible' he stayed because he valued loyalty and commitment over the almighty dollar'....but, for a thinking person, as I'm sure Dan is, there has to be a LOT more to it than just that...

I do agree that the Ry will be rocking for the first game next year...
0 x
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

I bet my buddy from NJ $100 Hurley wasn’t leaving for the Rutgers job as soon as all this hoopla started last week. That was my initial gut feeling on the matter. “Integrity and commitment, what he has preached and built with his players and this program” were the exact words I used. The response being, “money talks over integrity and commitment”. Well my friend, integrity and commitment won this time! You can be sure I have already given him an earful this afternoon! I will admit though, all the “rumors” from the NJ sources this week had me second guessing myself a little bit. Glad to see my gut was right in the end.

I think this just goes to show why the players leave it all on the floor night in and night out for Dan, and never give up…even in the fact of all the adversity encountered this season, there was never any quit in them. No reason to think that won’t continue into next season, maybe even more so after the actions they saw from their coach and leader this week. Good stuff.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

lol...and "I" am the "balloons and seashells" guy...my gosh.....
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Here's my two or more cents on all this.

1. First, kudos to ATP for a. having faith in his conviction of "zero chance" Hurley leaves and b. getting my keaneyblue account working again. It was a bad time to not be able to post!

2. I'm glad DH is staying to complete the rebuild. I think next season puts us in and I'm very excited about the incoming recruits and returning roster.

3. I don't expect DH to be here forever or (assuming he does what we expect) longer than another year or two. But I think we are closer to the point that a good program is in place and DH leaving won't cripple us. Pretty soon I expect us to be at a point where if DH leaves for a bigger program, we'll have the structure in place that as long as we make the right hire, then we don't miss a beat.

4. Add me to the Preston Murphy for future coach camp. I think Hurley's next move is to get PM back as head assistant and head coach in waiting. PM recruited some of this team and if they can pry him away from Creighton, he'll already be here for when DH eventually moves on. That said, if against my belief, DH has no plans to move on once the build is complete and become the long time URI coach, then that's a nice problem to have.

5. Twisted's gif after Rothstein's tweet is the best!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......nice, glad to hear this; just win the next the next one.....off the board til October......will break in for any big news.....thanks all of you.....Go Rhody.....!!
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Danny Boy!
0 x
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:lol...and "I" am the "balloons and seashells" guy...my gosh.....
Hey man...you can't be the only one spreading "flowers and sunshine" on here all the time.

But let's be clear about a few things. In no way, shape or form is this me sitting here saying we are heading to the promise land now, top 25 here we come, tourney lock, any of that. I am still very much in the camp that Dan has work to do as a coach, our players have work to do in the off-season, who knows how these recruits will turn out, next year is still an unknown, etc.

However, I am glad he stayed, because I think it is more stable for us next year. Who knows how things may have turned out if he left. And I respect him a bit more for his decision to stay (whatever factors played into his decision, although I'm of the opinion that his integrity and commitment had a big part in it), and I'd like to think the players may as well. So yes, I will allow myself to feel good today about what transpired, as you continually try to drag the board down. ;)
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

Blue Man wrote:
Funny - Archie Miller is still able to get recruits. Shaka didn't seem to have a problem. How many times does it need to be said that bigger schools coveting your coach is a GOOD thing. It's actually a great thing.

More publicity. You become a coach in demand...both to have lead your program and to play for.

No one wants to eat at an empty restaurant, they want to be where it's popular - because lots of customers means they're there for a reason.

The Baron cafe sucked and was full of a couple weird people that liked that their food didn't have any seasoning and was rarely cooked properly.

Myself, talented recruits, and everyone else that has good taste will be hanging out at Hurley's for at least the next year :-D
I can defientely agree that this only makes recruits want to play for a coach even more knowing that he's a hot commodity. They're going to think "there must be something about this coach and program that other programs want. That's where I should go too."
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

"He may hate losing, but they're sweet-talking him into about $20 million reasons to take on a huge task, and frankly, I don't see him saying no. I've been wrong before, but we'll see about this one."

Not that anyone but me is keeping score, but I am glad he's staying.
According to Koch, assuming everone returns healthy and eligible
and all four freshmen pass the SAT and stuff, we will actually have
13 players next year. Now let's go win some games.
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Fantastic!!!! How many days until next season???

Love that he's staying!!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

spar wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:lol...and "I" am the "balloons and seashells" guy...my gosh.....
Hey man...you can't be the only one spreading "flowers and sunshine" on here all the time.

But let's be clear about a few things. In no way, shape or form is this me sitting here saying we are heading to the promise land now, top 25 here we come, tourney lock, any of that. I am still very much in the camp that Dan has work to do as a coach, our players have work to do in the off-season, who knows how these recruits will turn out, next year is still an unknown, etc.

However, I am glad he stayed, because I think it is more stable for us next year. Who knows how things may have turned out if he left. And I respect him a bit more for his decision to stay (whatever factors played into his decision, although I'm of the opinion that his integrity and commitment had a big part in it), and I'd like to think the players may as well. So yes, I will allow myself to feel good today about what transpired, as you continually try to drag the board down. ;)

And now...I'm the one continually trying to drag the board down...how sweet is that?
Ponder THAT one, folks...

Look, I'm glad he didn't take the Buttgerz job, too...but, his is a business and my guess is that his 'business' decision was a lot more complex than the emotional one (sticking to his word, commitment to the players, etc) for which some are giving credit. Let's not make it seem like he was never going to leave no matter what, now... And, that's not a negative. I happen to think he's building a really good thing here...(if you remember...I got a lot of grief for continually 'bringing the board down :lol: ' by singing the praises of 8 - 14 -23...)...and the better it gets, the more speculation there will be - all good. It might feel good to say so, but I don't think the decision to stay was made only out of some moral obligation to stay...just like I don't think when he leaves it will reflect on any lack of morals either.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

If we believe what we have heard Dan left $12m on the table. He had commitments for things he will never get here as well in hand. He passed up an opportunity to be a living legend in his home state and to move into the top 10 moneymaker list for his profession.

You can like him or not but that my friends is keeping a promise.

That is integrity.

I know if I played for this guy I'd dive for every loose ball and step in front of the biggest/fastest power forward to take a charge. All day.....

IMHO this is rare indeed in today's greedy, take the money and run world.

Get out that game tape fix the mistakes from the past season and let's go! I'm all in.

Well played Dan - well done indeed!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Great news. Love to see us rebound next year. Wonder what URI is giving him.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Ramblinrose wrote:Great news. Love to see us rebound next year. Wonder what URI is giving him.
Could it be his assistants that benefit this time?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Shocker (comic sans).

Just remember, every time this has happened our HC job becomes more valuable for the next guy. Dan will improve things that will outlast his time here, we should be grateful for that.
While I agree this doesn't make Dan more of a man, nor would him leaving make him less of one, it does show that he is cut from a different cloth and its not solely about the money.
That's all we can ask for.

Go Rhody!
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

steviep123 wrote:Here's my two or more cents on all this.

4. Add me to the Preston Murphy for future coach camp. I think Hurley's next move is to get PM back as head assistant and head coach in waiting. PM recruited some of this team and if they can pry him away from Creighton, he'll already be here for when DH eventually moves on. That said, if against my belief, DH has no plans to move on once the build is complete and become the long time URI coach, then that's a nice problem to have.
Okay, Jim!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HvmtbZzA40
0 x