2016 NCAA Tournament Game Discussion

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 2016 NCAA Tournament Game Discussion

Unread post by ramster »

Great game. Announcers really wanted UNC
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ramster wrote:Great game. Announcers really wanted UNC
Heh? I feel the opposite.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Villanova deserved to win this game, just awful coaching and game plan by UNC. They did nothing to get their front court involved, no adjustments made at all by Roy Williams... Nova is a fun team to watch, a team you can pull for
0 x
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

I don't think I saw a single post up by UNC the whole game. Unbelievable. Ochefu was so exhausted he could hardly move the whole second half, and UNC has 4 big men that could start anywhere in the country, all over 6'9.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:
Even at the end the announcer apologized for the entire crew being pro UNC but he had to give Villanova credit.
He even said "nooooooo" when Jenkins' shot went in.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

That is not remotely true
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

so many crying Jordan memes. please make them stop.

A national champ from the Big 5? I'll take it.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

ramster wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
Even at the end the announcer apologized for the entire crew being pro UNC but he had to give Villanova credit.
He even said "nooooooo" when Jenkins' shot went in.
it was Raftery going oooooooooooo not no
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:That is not remotely true
I taped the game and played it back. It is true.
And didn't you hear the announcer saying how the baseline ref did not use his whistle? He kept saying how UNC guys were being fouled with no calls in the last two minutes.
It was obvious he was pro UNC.
Play back the last two minutes.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ah ha!!!
Here proves my point, but point of others too.
There were different announcers depending on your channel!!!

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/video-t ... zer-beater
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

But they apologized for rooting for UNC?

Edit: oh you watched one of the team feed channels? Haha yeah that would explain some of it.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

yeah national broadcast was on TBS (1045 in RI), UNC announcers on TruTV (1057) and Villanova was on TNT (1027)
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The TruTV announcers were huge UNC homers.

Then I switched to TBS.

I did think the foul on UNC when the score was 75-74 Nova was ticky tack. That was a break for them.

Now, close your eyes and visualize EC making that shot to beat Duke or somebody.....
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I thought the officiating was horrendous!
EIGHT straight UNC fouls in the first half.
Some hideous calls at critical times late in the game.
An evenly officiated game = UNC wins.
On the last play, UNC failed to stop the ball,
and Arcidiacono made a perfect dish for the
winning shot.
Great execution by Villanova.
Funny, Jay Wright has taken a lot of bashing over
the years.
Does anyone now think he isn't a great coach?

PS, I HATE Bill Rafferty, his tiresome shtick and his Big East bias.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I don't think I saw a single post up by UNC the whole game. Unbelievable. Ochefu was so exhausted he could hardly move the whole second half, and UNC has 4 big men that could start anywhere in the country, all over 6'9.
Villanova deserved to win this game, just awful coaching and game plan by UNC. They did nothing to get their front court involved, no adjustments made at all by Roy Williams... Nova is a fun team to watch, a team you can pull for
Or, did Villanova, despite only having one true big, just play outstanding defense? Williams isn't stupid. He's won a few things. Defense tends to get overlooked in favor of blaming offenses or approaches, when both are in play.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

That's right, Villanova did a great job of trying to deny post ups the entire game.

UNC had their chances, with what a 15 to 2 advantage in offensive boards. They did almost nothing with it.

To me, Nova gets more credit, than UNC or Williams gets blame, when it comes to adjustments.

UNC shot it at 34% versus 58% for Villanova in the 2nd half, and most of their [NC's] shots were contested.

That's your ballgame.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:But they apologized for rooting for UNC?

Edit: oh you watched one of the team feed channels? Haha yeah that would explain some of it.

Actually this explains all of it................not just some of it
TBS was the National Broadcast with Jim Nantz, Bill Raftery and Grant Hill
TRUTV was the Villanova Broadcast
TNT was the North Carolina Broadcast - Wes Durham and Brendan Haywood who played at UNC and in the NBA

This is the first time that this has ever been done - 3 different broadcasts. Does this mean Steve and Don get a shot next April? ;) ;) ;)

Haywood was absurd with his homerism. They were replaying every UNC Foul and basically denying the foul. He definitely said "Oh Noooooo" when Jenkins released the shot and there was silence when the ball went in. He did apologize a few minutes later to say that the entire crew was UNC fan dedicated which I thought was weird for a National Title game. I did not realize that there were 3 separate Broadcasts at the time and in fact I switched at half time as I was watching TBS during the first half on my computer.

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/colleg ... 15a4b.html
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I usually root for UNC for the silly reason that
they have the same colors, mascot and fight song
as URI.
Only they actually win most of the time.
So, I watched the UNC broadcast when they played Syracuse.
Did so for about 10 minutes, before realizing that
even listening to Bill Raftery's idiocy, was better than
Brendan Haywood's poor color babblings.
Nice idea of having three choices, though.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I kinda think you need to be a fan of the team to appreciate their homer broadcast...unless it's someone nationally recognized (like Mean Gene Deckerhoff ;) ) Otherwise, the generic version (Nantz) works just fine. I know Raftery is polarizing...I like him for the most part, except for when he does that sometimes unintelligible squeaky voice thing...
0 x
kal-65
Jeff Kent

Unread post by kal-65 »

I BELIEVE NOVA SHOULD HAVE FOULDED NC AT THE 4 SECOND MARK;GIVE EM AT BEST 2 FREE THROWS---TURN THE GAME INTO A FT CONTEST ;YOU'RE LEADING BY AT LEAST 1 POINT AND PROBABLY GOING TO THE FT LINE WITH LESS THAN 4 SECONDS
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

kal-65 wrote:I BELIEVE NOVA SHOULD HAVE FOULDED NC AT THE 4 SECOND MARK;GIVE EM AT BEST 2 FREE THROWS---TURN THE GAME INTO A FT CONTEST ;YOU'RE LEADING BY AT LEAST 1 POINT AND PROBABLY GOING TO THE FT LINE WITH LESS THAN 4 SECONDS
Maybe not a bad strategy...but the ending was much more exciting the way it went down.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

rodfromcranston wrote:I thought the officiating was horrendous!
EIGHT straight UNC fouls in the first half.
Some hideous calls at critical times late in the game.
An evenly officiated game = UNC wins.
On the last play, UNC failed to stop the ball,
and Arcidiacono made a perfect dish for the
winning shot.
Great execution by Villanova.
Funny, Jay Wright has taken a lot of bashing over
the years.
Does anyone now think he isn't a great coach?

PS, I HATE Bill Rafferty, his tiresome shtick and his Big East bias.
Sorry, Rod...I (and many others) love Raff, his shtick, and his Big East bias. (Having personally met him, he's a great guy too.) However, one could also make the claim that he has an East Coast bias, including a love for college basketball of the northeast, and the A-10. After all, he's a LaSalle guy. While some announcers wouldn't know a thing about Jack Kraft, Frank Keaney...I guarantee you that Raff can tell you about both.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

ramster wrote:
TruePoint wrote:But they apologized for rooting for UNC?

Actually this explains all of it................not just some of it
TBS was the National Broadcast with Jim Nantz, Bill Raftery and Grant Hill
TRUTV was the Villanova Broadcast
TNT was the North Carolina Broadcast - Wes Durham and Brendan Haywood who played at UNC and in the NBA

This is the first time that this has ever been done - 3 different broadcasts. Does this mean Steve and Don get a shot next April? ;) ;) ;)

Haywood was absurd with his homerism. They were replaying every UNC Foul and basically denying the foul. He definitely said "Oh Noooooo" when Jenkins released the shot and there was silence when the ball went in. He did apologize a few minutes later to say that the entire crew was UNC fan dedicated which I thought was weird for a National Title game. I did not realize that there were 3 separate Broadcasts at the time and in fact I switched at half time as I was watching TBS during the first half on my computer.

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/colleg ... 15a4b.html
This is not the first time...this was done last year. Welcome to the party.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I thought the calls leaned Nova's way too. But they played great and deserved the win. Good to see the "lesser" conferences producing champs.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

A mid-major wins it all. Now UNC gets to learn its fate. Ramster glad you figured it out. I never listen to the Homer versions. I too like Raftery.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

I think we would all say that Paige and Jenkins in the final 5 seconds...ONIONS!!!!! A DOUBLE ORDER!!!
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I hear Raftery's taglines and voice and I vomit.....I will always hear him as the ultimate shill for the big east and all things that I hate....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Paleoguy
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Paleoguy »

Don't know if this was posted elsewhere, but here's the end as called by several different outlets....

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/heres ... 1769055349
0 x
Paleoguy
Marc Upshaw

Ramblinrose wrote:A mid-major wins it all. Now UNC gets to learn its fate. Ramster glad you figured it out. I never listen to the Homer versions. I too like Raftery.
I don't think it will be easy to continue seeing the NBE as a mid major:

http://www.todaysu.com/big-east-today/v ... -big-east/

This national title is obviously huge for Villanova, but it's also huge for the Big East: the term "power-five" is dead in college hoops.

— Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) April 5, 2016
0 x
Paleoguy
Marc Upshaw

Ramblinrose wrote:A mid-major wins it all. Now UNC gets to learn its fate. Ramster glad you figured it out. I never listen to the Homer versions. I too like Raftery.
Actually, to put it another way, if the team that finished as a runner up in their own conference tourney then goes on to beat Kansas, Oklahoma, and North Carolina, it seems a little off to then say the NBE is somehow one tier beneath the P5. They seem much more like a top tier conference overall, and less like a so-called mid major. The P5 applies to football, but I think it doesn't work as well applying it to Division 1 BB.....
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Paleoguy wrote:
Actually, to put it another way, if the team that finished as a runner up in their own conference tourney then goes on to beat Kansas, Oklahoma, and North Carolina, it seems a little off to then say the NBE is somehow one tier beneath the P5. They seem much more like a top tier conference overall, and less like a so-called mid major. The P5 applies to football, but I think it doesn't work as well applying it to Division 1 BB.....
I don't think you can make that kind of a call based off one season though. It remains to be seen how it all plays out over time, but Villanova having a great year and run through the tournament doesn't cement the NBE in the top tier yet in my opinion. The conference will need a much more sustained period of success to do that. When George Mason went to the Final Four in '06 that didn't make the CAA a power conference. I'm obviously not trying to compare the CAA and NBE or Villanova and George Mason, but just saying I think the jury is still out for now.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

adam914 wrote:
Paleoguy wrote:
I don't think you can make that kind of a call based off one season though. It remains to be seen how it all plays out over time, but Villanova having a great year and run through the tournament doesn't cement the NBE in the top tier yet in my opinion. The conference will need a much more sustained period of success to do that. When George Mason went to the Final Four in '06 that didn't make the CAA a power conference. I'm obviously not trying to compare the CAA and NBE or Villanova and George Mason, but just saying I think the jury is still out for now.
I realize the Projo (including Reynolds, KMac, and the other dope for a columnist) are shills for the Big East. But before they announce that Nova's win means the Big East is right up there will all the major leagues, can we put some context around things?

Nova was the ONLY Big East team to make it into the 2nd weekend of the tournament. Seton Hall laid a major egg. PC was gladly handed their victory by USC. (to PC's credit, they took it.) Xavier a 2-seed lost to Wisconsin and Butler beat a Texas Tech team was the worst of the Big 12's entries. This is hardly a "statement" by the Big East. If so, then...

VCU knocking a 10 seed...St Joe's beating Cincy and Dayton losing to an eventual Final Four team is a statement for the A-10. Throw in the fact that GW won the NIT...and maybe the A-10 ought to stick their chests out too.

Spare me the Big East is great argument. Hardly the case. In fact, I don't hear much about how the Big East got strengthened by adding two A-10 teams (Butler and Xavier) a few years ago. Before they joined the Big East, those schools were poo-poo'd for being inferior and playing inferior competition. Which is it? Guess there isn't that much separation between the Big East and A-10 after all.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

It's insane what people on the board will come up with to try and discredit the Big East.

Always amazes me as well that people talk about Butler being an a10 team when they played one season in the a10.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

The Big East is a better conference...so what?
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

This gets silly. The Big East is still a quality conference. It will never be what it was one the 1980s. It can't be. The A-10 does OK for itself ut is not of the same caliber. That's just the way it is.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

The big east is the best non-BCS conference....the A-10 is the next best....the difference is not as great as it used to be but the big east is still stronger top to bottom....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

So Big East gets 4-5 teams in, A10 gets 3-4 teams in.
BigEast took Xavier and Butler albeit Butler was here only one year so who really cares. Temple leaving for AAC hurt. So the A10 should be given time to adjust to those losses. VCU was a great pick up and Davidson was a good addition.
There will be done surprise teams in the A10 this year with some good recruiting and some good transfers.
Difference between the conferences has been continually closing over the last several years.
I remember not long ago Big East had 18 ESPN top 100 guys and A10 had 2. That gap has tremedously closed in recruiting
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

We're trying to compare the league that has the national champs to one that advanced nobody past round 2? Right now, the A10 is a couple cuts below the Big East.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

UCH21377 wrote:We're trying to compare the league that has the national champs to one that advanced nobody past round 2? Right now, the A10 is a couple cuts below the Big East.
Yep, a better conference for sure right now, but who cares?
'The Big East' is not on the schedule.
Take care of business and it won't matter.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

UCH21377 wrote:We're trying to compare the league that has the national champs to one that advanced nobody past round 2? Right now, the A10 is a couple cuts below the Big East.
How does the A10 compare to the AAC? They have a recent National Champion. Are we a couple cuts below that league? The praise given to the nbe on this board is making me sick.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

208 I don't care either, doesn't change who I root for.

Blueram, not last year, but the year UConn won? Absolutely. Having the National Champs counts for a whole lot wether we like to admit it or not. And from a historical perspective, look up Memphis, Houston, Cinci, obviously UConn, and you will see that they have better hoops history than anyone currently in the A10. We all know Temple's A10 history. Yes the AAC is awful at the bottom but we're not so fantastic either. IMO we tend to overate the A10 with respect to other conferences. Not trying to troll, just stating opinion.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

UCH21377 wrote:208 I don't care either, doesn't change who I root for.

Blueram, not last year, but the year UConn won? Absolutely. Having the National Champs counts for a whole lot wether we like to admit it or not. And from a historical perspective, look up Memphis, Houston, Cinci, obviously UConn, and you will see that they have better hoops history than anyone currently in the A10. We all know Temple's A10 history. Yes the AAC is awful at the bottom but we're not so fantastic either. IMO we tend to overate the A10 with respect to other conferences. Not trying to troll, just stating opinion.
And teams (and the facts) change every year...so the discussion is never really in sync...
Just beat the teams in front of ya...
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

I for one do not think the NBE is as close to us as others. Imagine this, last year we finished tied for second in our conference and didn't make the tourney. This year St Bonnie's finished tied for first, and didn't make the tourney. This year PC went 9-9 in conference and made the tourney. That, imo, speaks volumes about each leagues strength or at least each league's perception.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Dre3000 wrote:I for one do not think the NBE is as close to us as others. Imagine this, last year we finished tied for second in our conference and didn't make the tourney. This year St Bonnie's finished tied for first, and didn't make the tourney. This year PC went 9-9 in conference and made the tourney. That, imo, speaks volumes about each leagues strength or at least each league's perception.
"Each league's perception." That's our point. Perception is not reality. A few points for clarification...

1) Correct, Butler was in the A-10 for one year. So let's amend the point. Essentially, the Big East took Butler from the Horizon League...a far inferior league in the eyes of the Big East. But it seems that a "Horizon" team has competed well and upgraded the Big East. The same can be said of "Xavier." Five years ago, Big East suck-ups would poo-poo Xavier and Butler if they went 24-5 and 14-2 in their respective leagues saying "Well if they played in the Big East, they wouldn't be able to hack it, blah, blah..." Those two schools' recent success in the new Big East goes to make the point how good the A-10 is and how little separation there is to the Big East.

2) However, there is separation. I concede that point. But the separation is small.

3) In fact, high and mighty PC was so great this year that they needed a rebound tip-in (on a push off) to beat a depleted and average URI/A-10 team this year. If PC was so good, how come they struggled with a URI team that was eh?

4) Just because a team wins a national title doesn't mean that the conference is top notch. UCONN won a title as a member of the AAC. Memphis almost won one (with Derrick Rose) as part of Conference USA. Neither of those conferences were that strong.

This year, it seems the ACC was tops although the Big 12 was getting top billing during the regular season. Michigan State, Maryland, and Iowa all had turns it the top-10 this year from the Big Ten, although Indiana won the regular season (unbalanced schedule) and Wisconsin played better than Maryland and Iowa in the last month. So I would say the Big East battled the Pac 12 for 4th among conferences, while the SEC, AAC (with SMU, Temple, UCONN, Tulsa), and the A-10 were there for 6th thru 8th. You can make a case for any of those.

Bottom line...spare me the whole "greatness of the Big East" nonsense.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

A10 is Ranked 7th while the AAC is Ranked 8th in RealTimeRPI for 2015-2016 Season. BE ranked 4th.
1 Big 12
2 Pacific-12
3 Atlantic Coast
4 Big East
5 Big Ten
6 Southeastern
7 Atlantic 10
8 American Athletic
9 Colonial Athletic
10 Mid-American
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

ramster wrote:A10 is Ranked 7th while the AAC is Ranked 8th in RealTimeRPI for 2015-2016 Season. BE ranked 4th.
1 Big 12
2 Pacific-12
3 Atlantic Coast
4 Big East
5 Big Ten
6 Southeastern
7 Atlantic 10
8 American Athletic
9 Colonial Athletic
10 Mid-American
Thanks for the info. These number certainly provide some context. Most would argue that the Pac-12 had great balance this year, with 1 great team (Oregon), number of really good teams, and no awful teams. The ACC's best proved to be better than the Big 12's best. One could argue that that A-10's top half was better than the SEC's.

Again, these numbers provide a background for discussion.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

ramster wrote:A10 is Ranked 7th while the AAC is Ranked 8th in RealTimeRPI for 2015-2016 Season. BE ranked 4th.
1 Big 12
2 Pacific-12
3 Atlantic Coast
4 Big East
5 Big Ten
6 Southeastern
7 Atlantic 10
8 American Athletic
9 Colonial Athletic
10 Mid-American
The PMMM ratings (numbers + eye test) have 2015-2016 as follow:
1. ACC
2. Big 12
3. Big Ten
4. Pac 12
5. Big East
6. SEC
7. A-10
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

Technically not related to any specific tournament games, but here's an update on the business side of the NCAA Tournament.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... ended-2032
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

What a racket the whole system is. $8.8B and no payment for the players is a disgrace.

Spare me the 'free education' bullshit too.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

STC wrote:What a racket the whole system is. $8.8B and no payment for the players is a disgrace.

Spare me the 'free education' bullshit too.
For thus of us preparing to pay for our kids college education, "free education" ain't no BS. Average out of state tuition for a public university is about $24,000...add room and board, plus books and that's another $9000. So for the sake of discussion, let's just say that it costs $33,000 per year for a full ride. Multiply that by 4 years and that's $132,000...and if it takes 5-years, then the tab is $165,000.

I'll write you a check for $165,000 and you tell me if that's BS.

Players seem to have enough money for Beats by Dre headphones (approx. $200), cell phone, and many tattoos ($75 to $150/hour). Players have no extra money to pay for a pizza or movie??? That's where the BS is. You want extra spending money? Go get a job during the summer while taking summer classes.
0 x