2016 National Invitational Tournament Bracket and Tracking

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: 2016 National Invitational Tournament Bracket and Tracki

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

skwalk47 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Why would the P5 schools schedule small schools on the road or neutral if they don't have to? and, until there's more transparency around the selection process (har de har har on that one), they won't have to and it's alway$ going to be that way.

Do the numbers 'really' say 'Valpo, St Bonnies, St Mary's, etc. all deserved to be in way ahead of Syracuse'? Really?
19-13 1 top 50 win, RPI 72? Yes they definitely didnt deserve to be there. I didnt pay for KenPom this year so I cant see his old ratings but I bet cuse would have been an underdog to at least 2 of those 3 teams in Vegas had they played on March 17th.
OK, that would be interesting to see/know. I'm getting old and can't see as well as I used to, but, rating systems aside...and not sure about St. M, but my eye test would say Syracuse beats Valpo/SBU pretty easily...Saw URI a lot this year. URI hung tough with Valpo and SBU...and I think Syracuse was quite a bit better than URI this year (even with Rhody-colored glasses)? So...two teams that barely beat URI...would have been favored to beat a team that beat Duke and hung with UNC? Really?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
skwalk47 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Why would the P5 schools schedule small schools on the road or neutral if they don't have to? and, until there's more transparency around the selection process (har de har har on that one), they won't have to and it's alway$ going to be that way.

Do the numbers 'really' say 'Valpo, St Bonnies, St Mary's, etc. all deserved to be in way ahead of Syracuse'? Really?
19-13 1 top 50 win, RPI 72? Yes they definitely didnt deserve to be there. I didnt pay for KenPom this year so I cant see his old ratings but I bet cuse would have been an underdog to at least 2 of those 3 teams in Vegas had they played on March 17th.
OK, that would be interesting to see/know. I'm getting old and can't see as well as I used to, but, rating systems aside...and not sure about St. M, but my eye test would say Syracuse beats Valpo/SBU pretty easily...Saw URI a lot this year. URI hung tough with Valpo and SBU...and I think Syracuse was quite a bit better than URI this year (even with Rhody-colored glasses)? So...two teams that barely beat URI...would have been favored to beat a team that beat Duke and hung with UNC? Really?
Not to mention Syracuse beat the Bonnie's by 13 in November.
But maybe Vegas would have valpo and st bona winning.
Cuse is playing great right now. They just really kicked it up quite a few notches. Not that surprising since they played so well in the battle for Atlantis.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Looks like GW is about to win it, up 15 with 3+ minutes left.

Good job. Their defense really picked it up the last couple of games.
0 x
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

Nice win by GW. Too bad they're gonna have a rough time next year.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Like I said before, if my team was in the NIT I would watch and root because it is my team. But as far as winning the tournament, I can't say it would really give me all that much satisfaction as a fan. Sure, it is better than losing. But all it means is you are the best team in the country to not have a good season.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

TruePoint wrote:Like I said before, if my team was in the NIT I would watch and root because it is my team. But as far as winning the tournament, I can't say it would really give me all that much satisfaction as a fan. Sure, it is better than losing. But all it means is you are the best team in the country to not have a good season.
"Look, Mom! I'm #69!"
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Well, they won 27 games, and average 24 plus wins for the past three years.
Don't get why anyone is belittling GW.
They also beat Elite 8, top 10 ranked, Virginia this season.
Congrats to them winning a championship.
We never won the NIT, so there's that.

There's a tournament that ended last night called
Las Vegas 16.
I think it was called that because there were 16 people
in the stands at Mandalay Bay arena.
Sad.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Good for GW. At least they showed up for this tournament, unlike another team I know.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Well, they won 27 games, and average 24 plus wins for the past three years.
Don't get why anyone is belittling GW.
They also beat Elite 8, top 10 ranked, Virginia this season.
Congrats to them winning a championship.
We never won the NIT, so there's that.

There's a tournament that ended last night called
Las Vegas 16.
I think it was called that because there were 16 people
in the stands at Mandalay Bay arena.
Sad.
My favorite part about the Vegas 16 tournament was that they could only get 8 teams to compete in it.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
skwalk47 wrote:

Issue with cuse is they were just so inconsistent this season. I'm a huge cuse fan, watch all their games, used to always go to the dunk when they played pc there but even I don't think they deserved to be in. The selection committee is supposed to select teams based on their results, not potential. Syracuse proved they could beat very good teams this season but also lost to some pretty awful teams, St. Johns being one of them.

Right now Syracuse is obviously hot and is playing to their potential but anyone who watched all their games this season knew that going into the tournament anything could happen. If you watch the Syracuse-Duke regular season game then yes, I'd say Syracuse beats Valpo/SBU easily. If you watch the Syracuse-St Johns game then I don't think there's anyway you'd expect cuse to beat Valpo/SBU.
0 x