2016 National Invitational Tournament Bracket and Tracking

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

2016 National Invitational Tournament Bracket and Tracking

Unread post by ramster »

St Bonaventure is in as a 1 seed and will be playing Wagner
George Washington is in as a 2 seed

Bottom of Bracket Says that among others Davidson, Rhode Island and Richmond were considered

Valparaiso is in as a 1 seed

http://bracketmatrix.com/nit.html
0 x
kal-65
Jeff Kent

Re: 2016 National Invitational Tournament Bracket and Tracki

Unread post by kal-65 »

Davidson is a 5 seed-----Duquesne is playing in the cbi
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

How many years are we into the Hurley era? And the results are eerily similar to Baron's tenure.
0 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

URIGONZO wrote:How many years are we into the Hurley era? And the results are eerily similar to Baron's tenure.
True,

Except Delroy James didn't go down in the first game with Ulmer becoming injured in the last quarter of the season, with other injuires ect, ect.
0 x
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

True, except Dan is 5 years into his professional career and likely has brighter days ahead...
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

bar, that's what we are all counting on if he stays.......
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

I hope you guys are correct and it was just the injuries. However, I remember these same kinds of excuses during the Baron tenure. "Dawan went down before the season started" "Will Daniels was hurt during the A-10 tournament."

All I'm saying is that there are now similarities.
0 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The only similarity is that we just had 1 season that didn't meet expectations. There aren't any beyond that. Again you are talking about someone at the beginning of their career versus someone who was on his back 9. Its a risk, as is anything, but I will gladly roll the dice with DH winning big at URI.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

One of the interesting things about the NIT is how it pairs teams regionally in the first round so sometimes get mid majors vs P5's that might never meet otherwise.
Example tonight is 7-seed Akron playing at 2-seed Ohio State. Akron up 1 in second half. Would love an upset here.

Davidson down 5 to FSU in 2nd half
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Short stay for Davidson.

Akron and OSU in overtime.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:Short stay for Davidson.

Akron and OSU in overtime.
Akron led 62-60 but went to OT when they did not score a point for the last 2:44. Game went to OT 62-62. Too bad I like to see mid majors beat BCS schools
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Wagner crushing the Bonnie's early
26-12 in front of a sellout crowd in Olean
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Also, GW plays Rokas Gustys and Hofstra at 8.
Chance to see how Rokas does against the A-10's best front court.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Right, I like that GW Hofstra game
Also interesting is the Houston at Georgia Tech game - could this be the last game for Brian Gregory?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think Gregory is slowly turning that program around....but how high is his ceiling?

It's similar to Dan's situation, but BG has been around a lot longer.....

He, like Dan, has a reputation for losing the close ones, at Dayton and GT, but they did win a few this season....we'll see.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Bonnies embarrassing themselves down 14 at half.

I'm sure they didn't want to play in the NIT, but if they lose they make the committee look right by leaving them out.

Don't make the committee look right, Bonnies. Win the game.

Update: they made it close, but lost 79-75.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Both the Bona loss to Wagner in the NIT and Fordham losing to Boston U. In the CIT are embarrassing to the A-10.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I didn't even know Fordham was playing in the CIT, CBI, whatever....

Barf........

I guess anything can happen when teams play opponents they aren't familiar with.....

On a higher level, we're going to see what happens in the big show starting tomorrow.

I think there will be some weird shit happen...

Just saw the Duquesne score. They beat Omaha, 120-112 in the CBI. No OT either.

Omaha scored 80 points in the 2nd half. And lost.

Defense anyone?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rambone 78 wrote:I didn't even know Fordham was playing in the CIT, CBI, whatever....

Barf........

I guess anything can happen when teams play opponents they aren't familiar with.....

On a higher level, we're going to see what happens in the big show starting tomorrow.

I think there will be some weird shit happen...

Just saw the Duquesne score. They beat Omaha, 120-112 in the CBI. No OT either.

Omaha scored 80 points in the 2nd half. And lost.

Defense anyone?
No thanks.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Obadiah wrote:Both the Bona loss to Wagner in the NIT and Fordham losing to Boston U. In the CIT are embarrassing to the A-10.
Good thing nobody cares. I didn't even know those games happened until I read your post.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bad night for St Bonaventure and the A10
After all this Bonnie's got screwed stuff and what a great Coach Shimidt is and we might want him here Bonnie's do their level best to show the NCAA Committee they made the right choice. Bonnie's leave Bernadette McGlade with egg on her face
Lose at home to the 8th seed Wagner from the lowly NEC
Embaronsing.
Fordham loses.
Duquesne wins
GW beats Hofstra in a good game. Rosas Gustys 14 points, 13 rebounds and 4-4 FTs even though he shoots 43% overall.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rokas can obviously compete in the A-10.
Not the best showing from the A-10
Good job Duquesne and GW
Hopefully our compatriots in the dance tournament can represent better
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don't think it is remotely surprising that a team that was hosed out of the NCAA would mail it in in the NIT. I don't think it absolves the committee at all. The committee was making a decision based on resumes to that point, and they screwed it up. What a team that is disappointed and disinterested does in the NIT doesn't get them off the hook.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:I don't think it is remotely surprising that a team that was hosed out of the NCAA would mail it in in the NIT. I don't think it absolves the committee at all. The committee was making a decision based on resumes to that point, and they screwed it up. What a team that is disappointed and disinterested does in the NIT doesn't get them off the hook.
I'll buy that about not getting the NCAA off the hook. A true point :)

But St Bonaventure players and coach laid an egg and lost opportunities..............

Consider:
- Sold Out Arena. Fans were pumped. Reports are they were very excited and trying to spur their team on
- The Last 4 Out for the NCAA get 1-Seeds in the NIT PLUS they get to keep the home advantage through the first rounds
- Bonnies lost to a 170 or so RPI Team from the NEC that was an 8th Seed
- 1-Seeds Monmouth, Valparaiso and South Carolina all won
- 2-Seeds Florida, BYU, St Mary's and San Diego State all won
- Bonnies would have played 4-Seed Big East Creighton in the 2nd round at HOME. There is no way Bonnies ever get to play Creighton in their home arena during regular season - this is the only way
- Bonnies would have played the winner of BYU and Virginia Tech in the 3rd round at HOME if they beat Creighton. There is no way Bonnies ever get to play BYU or Creighton in their home arena during regular season - this is the only way

Nothing could be done about the NCAA issue. Some had other teams in the NCAA in front of Bonnies anyway so even if Tulsa did not get in (as they should not have gotten in) it doesn't mean the Bonnies would have made it.

It's a shame that an arena full of loyal fans for the Wagner game could not have filled the arena yet again against the likes of Creighton and BYU/Virginia Tech then had the dream of any NY Basketball Player - to move on and play in Madison Square Garden on National TV

Players and Coach should be kicking themselves today and if not certainly should be as they watch other teams move along in the NIT
The NCAA disappointed Bonnies but Bonnies disappointed themselves and their fans
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I'm not sure the Bonnies were really that good.

They avoided bad losses and won a few games against the top of the league [St. Joes twice], but didn't play anyone OOC except for Syracuse who they lost to.

They were good at winning close games, but not last night. That was a surprise, especially with their home record.

Their RPI was inflated, like ours was back when we were a 40 and got snubbed.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

ramster wrote:
TruePoint wrote:I don't think it is remotely surprising that a team that was hosed out of the NCAA would mail it in in the NIT. I don't think it absolves the committee at all. The committee was making a decision based on resumes to that point, and they screwed it up. What a team that is disappointed and disinterested does in the NIT doesn't get them off the hook.

But St Bonaventure players and coach laid an egg and lost opportunities..............

Consider:
- Sold Out Arena. Fans were pumped. Reports are they were very excited and trying to spur their team on
- The Last 4 Out for the NCAA get 1-Seeds in the NIT PLUS they get to keep the home advantage through the first rounds
- Bonnies would have played 4-Seed Big East Creighton in the 2nd round at HOME. There is no way Bonnies ever get to play Creighton in their home arena during regular season - this is the only way
- Bonnies would have played the winner of BYU and Virginia Tech in the 3rd round at HOME if they beat Creighton. There is no way Bonnies ever get to play BYU or Creighton in their home arena during regular season - this is the only way

Nothing could be done about the NCAA issue. Some had other teams in the NCAA in front of Bonnies anyway so even if Tulsa did not get in (as they should not have gotten in) it doesn't mean the Bonnies would have made it.

It's a shame that an arena full of loyal fans for the Wagner game could not have filled the arena yet again against the likes of Creighton and BYU/Virginia Tech then had the dream of any NY Basketball Player - to move on and play in Madison Square Garden on National TV

Players and Coach should be kicking themselves today and if not certainly should be as they watch other teams move along in the NIT
The NCAA disappointed Bonnies but Bonnies disappointed themselves and their fans
Excellent response, ramster, refreshing in its in-depth understanding of the situation. No excuse making here.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

No doubt that mailing it in is just about never the right thing to do. I'm sure they're already regretting it and it only compounded their disappointment with not making the tournament. But that is much different from saying that their loss vindicates the committee's decision to leave them out. I don't think one has anything to do with another. If it did, then you could look at any team that did get in that gets handled easily in the first round and say they shouldn't have been in. I don't think you can make that kind of judgment.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote:
ramster wrote:

Consider:

Excellent response, ramster, refreshing in its in-depth understanding of the situation. No excuse making here.
Lotta good points around missed opportunity. I still think it's not surprising that a disappointed team mails it in in the NIT - happens all the time. Is it 'right' or 'okay' to do so? I'd say probably not. Did they blow an opportunity for some good home matchups? Yes. But it doesn't change what they accomplished during the season or change the label as to what kind of team they were. I'd suggest that it's quite difficult to do a quick, complete re-focus on a lower target. Example on a much higher level = FSU football. Their goal, every year, is the national title. And, every year, as soon as they are eliminated from that possibility...you can stop watching them, they're done. See: this year's Peach Bowl. Is it 'right'? Probably not. Does it have long-lasting impact? Not really....?
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

We better win the whole thing in Pittsburgh next year unless we beat multiple ranked teams during the season. How in the heck does a team tied for first not get in?
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

rhodyrudder wrote:We better win the whole thing in Pittsburgh next year unless we beat multiple ranked teams during the season. How in the heck does a team tied for first not get in?
You may have missed my earlier post on this, but, among other variables, two aspects strongly contributed to why the Bonnies did not get an invite: One, they did not spend the money to get into an exempt tournament so their OOC record was short two games. Second, their OOC SOS at 152 was not great and Buffalo was their best OOC win. In fact, their SOS was below that of the A-10' s last place team, La Salle. URI had a much stronger OOC and I expect an even stronger one next year. So we will be better positioned than SBU to get a bid without winning it all in Pittsburgh.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Pretty cool to work 5 minutes from these first round games, plus St. Pattys day? Great day to be downtown.
0 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Enjoy! I thought I read someplace they were opening up some public drinking space as well?
Sounds like an awesome day to be downtown.

Still, in the long run...prefer my new home less than 5 minutes to the Ry, tho ;)
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Obadiah wrote:
ramster wrote:

Consider:

Thanks Obadiah,
I found this very interesting 38 minutes video from VCU by Will Wade. At about the 17 minutes mark he talks for about 20 minutes about the St Bonaventure situation and the flawed method on how teams are selected for the NCAA Tournament. Most interesting is how he says the home or away court situation is largely ignored by the Committee so therefore it makes no sense to play tough teams on the road and that the Big Money schools buy, buy and buy games so that they run no risk of losing on the road in OOC games.

I gained great respect for Will Wade on how cerebral an approach to the game and scheduling he brings.

I would encourage listening to the entire 38 minutes if you have the time.

He speaks specifically about how St Bonaventure does not have the budget to do many buy games at all so they must play a lot of games on the road. I reiterate what a great opportunity Bonnies lost by not defeating 8th Seed 170 RPI Wagner and being able to host games against Creighton and the winner of BYU/Virginia Tech

I lost some respect for the Bonnies coach after this poor, low energy, unenthusiastic performance regardless of the NCAA Committee actions

https://aroundthehorns.wordpress.com/20 ... -march-15/
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:No doubt that mailing it in is just about never the right thing to do. I'm sure they're already regretting it and it only compounded their disappointment with not making the tournament. But that is much different from saying that their loss vindicates the committee's decision to leave them out. I don't think one has anything to do with another. If it did, then you could look at any team that did get in that gets handled easily in the first round and say they shouldn't have been in. I don't think you can make that kind of judgment.
Mailing it in is never the right thing to do, not "just about" as you say. This is where the Head Coach has to take the lead and shake it out of the players. A Red Auerbach Coached team would never "mail it in".

I am not sure a Dan Hurley Coached team would ever "mail it in". I hope not anyway.
Agree the poor, lack of effort performance does not vindicate the NCAA Committee decision.

I have coached many teams over the years and never, ever do I want to see anybody giving less than 100% effort regardless of the excuse

This Bonnies team was an embarrassment to their own fans who did not "mail it in". and filled the place up and were very enthusiastic. Shame on the players and the Head Coach. They owed it to the fans, themselves, the A10, the school, etc to go all out and win that game. No excuse. I hope Wagner beats Creighton and the winner of the Virginia Tech/BYU game. Maybe Hurley left some of that fighting spirit behind in the Wagner group.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Idk, ramster - check this out and tell me if you still feel that way:

(btw, I'm just kidding - I agree a team shouldn't ever mail it in. But is does happen and you can understand why Bonnies did, even if you don't think they should have.)
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:Idk, ramster - check this out and tell me if you still feel that way:

(btw, I'm just kidding - I agree a team shouldn't ever mail it in. But is does happen and you can understand why Bonnies did, even if you don't think they should have.)

How in the world did you ever find that? :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

After watching today so far, IMO it's the little conference schools that really get screwed: Monmouth, St Mary's, Valpo, maybe even Akron, SDSU. Texas Tech, 7th in a 10 team league, somehow gets in, and sucks. Vandy, mediocre in the SEC, gets blown out by Wichita St, who somehow almost didn't get in. Tulsa, Syracuse, Pitt, all get in becuase of their conference, nothing more. We'll see how they do. Michigan is another. I'm not shedding any tears for the Bonnies.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Interesting night in the NIT tonight.
One 1-Seed went down to a 4 seed while another 1-Seed is training big in the 2nd half also to a 4-Seed. That could leave only Valpo as the lone remaining 1 seed in the Elite 8 with St Bonaventure having lost their 1st game.

4-Seed George Washington defeated 1-Seed Monmouth at Monmouth by 16 points (Monmouth was favored by 3.5)
4-Seed Georgia Tech leads 1-Seed South Carolina by 21 early in the 2nd half at South Carolina (South Carolina was favored by 4)

GW will play 2-Seed Florida at Florida next
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote:Interesting night in the NIT tonight.
One 1-Seed went down to a 4 seed while another 1-Seed is training big in the 2nd half also to a 4-Seed. That could leave only Valpo as the lone remaining 1 seed in the Elite 8 with St Bonaventure having lost their 1st game.

4-Seed George Washington defeated 1-Seed Monmouth at Monmouth by 16 points (Monmouth was favored by 3.5)
4-Seed Georgia Tech leads 1-Seed South Carolina by 21 early in the 2nd half at South Carolina (South Carolina was favored by 4)

Florida's arena is under construction, so the game will be played at GW.
0 x
Go Rhody
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

South Carolina suspended 5 players indefinitely including Chris Silva not sure what for I think all they said was a violation of team rules.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

woodennickel1 wrote:

South Carolina suspended 5 players indefinitely including Chris Silva not sure what for I think all they said was a violation of team rules.

crazy
http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/ ... 41112.html
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Talk about a fanbase any coach would die for!
Watched BYU-Creigton last night from Provo, UT.
They had BYU kids camping out all night to get tickets.
The Marriot Center fits 21,000 people.
All wore white tee shirts and all moving as one during the cheers.
Even the football coach was in the middle of it.
BYU always plays an up tempo game with lots of scoring.
I'm sure Creighton, with their equally rabid fans would
see a lot that was familiar to them, watching the game.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Some teams' fans care about the NIT. Most don't.

I was surprised when St. Bona filled the place for their game, especially for an NEC team.

Who else in the A10 would? Dayton would draw well of course, and VCU, although that would be a letdown for them since they've Danced for a number of years in a row.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rambone 78 wrote:Some teams' fans care about the NIT. Most don't.

I was surprised when St. Bona filled the place for their game, especially for an NEC team.

Who else in the A10 would? Dayton would draw well of course, and VCU, although that would be a letdown for them since they've Danced for a number of years in a row.
Meanwhile, we can't even get a sellout against a nationally ranked Dayton team on ESPN2...
0 x
Go Rhody
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

rambone 78 wrote:Some teams' fans care about the NIT. Most don't.

Well, most "FANS" don't care about the NIT, the CBI, DBI, IDFBI.
Their teams are playing.
THEY CARE ABOUT THEIR TEAMS!
THEY'RE FANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Until we stop disappointing our fans with losses, close or otherwise, against good teams, they aren't coming.

Have we ever been a consistent winner in our history? A couple of years here and there, and that's about it. The last 17 years, a few teases but ultimately no big show....

Dan wants big crowds that will help us at home?

Start winning.

Bressler, some teams have a ton of hard core fans. They show up no matter what.

Most of ours, are of the fair weather variety.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

rambone 78 wrote:Until we stop disappointing our fans with losses, close or otherwise, against good teams, they aren't coming.

Have we ever been a consistent winner in our history? A couple of years here and there, and that's about it. The last 17 years, a few teases but ultimately no big show....

Start winning.

I know, Rambone, my giant words weren't yelling at you, but for emphasis..
My apologies.
We've been through the "fans discussion" time-and-again.
I had a friend who chose Duke Law over Harvard Law so he could become a Cameron Crazy and experience big-time hoops after attending Brown as an undergrad.
Maybe misplaced priorities to many on the surface, but he became as successful as all had predicted -- including himself -- as far back as Kindergarten.
Oh, well....Some are blessed.
Yes, a couple of dynamic URI winning seasons are in order!!!!
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

rambone 78 wrote:Until we stop disappointing our fans with losses, close or otherwise, against good teams, they aren't coming.

Start winning.

Every time we got on a roll and started winning, we'd lose our coach.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

And almost always, we'd take a step or two back when we hired that next coach.

Except for Harrick following Al. We took 2 steps forward then.

Of course, what followed was 4 steps back, into the pits of hell, which we are still trying to get out of.

As long as Thorr and Dooley are here, I think our next hire will be a good one.

Got to start on the Xavier path. One good coach after another......
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

GW wins and heads to MSG......last team standing......
0 x