Head Coach Report Card 2015-2016 Season

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.

Poll ended at 8 years ago

A+
No votes
A
2%
A-
7%
B+
28%
B
26%
B-
8%
C+
18%
C
10%
C-
No votes
D+
No votes
D
No votes
D-
No votes
F
2%

Total votes: 61

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rate Dan Hurley's overall performance for 2015-2016 Season
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Re: Head Coach Report Card 2015-2016 Season

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

I gave him a B+

I came down hard on him last night but I love him as our coach
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I gave him a B.

A or A+ in many aspects of running a program, but the close losses and questionable decisions late in games, drags it down.

The bottom line is winning. Even with the injuries, we had a chance to win at least several more games, and didn't.

Players of course share the blame, but not all of it.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I gave him a C+ because once EC went down, we were left with a team that couldn't even make the NIT. That team consisted of Hassan, JG, KI, JT along with Earl and 4. Next year, when EC is on the bench, we should remember that the team on the floor is not capable of making the NIT unless the frosh turn into the most underrated recruits.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I think this year really deserves an 'incomplete' but if I must grade it I would give it a C+. Saw some real progression this year from Garrett and Terrell but the offense still feels like there is no flow, too much 1 on 1, not enough ball movement. Last nights Loss to UMass left me disappointed and effected the grade negatively. It was rhody's final exam and they did not show up. There was enough talent on the floor for URI last night to avoid a first round exit.

In the big picture evaluating Hurley's 4 years here I give him an A-. Hurley's recruiting has been very impressive. When you consider that Rhody will start the A10 defensive player of the year, 3 ESPN Top 100 recruits and have a 4th coming off the bench next year there is definitely enough talent on paper to make the tournament next year. Big year next year...
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

C+ The bench behavior toward the refs, and the lack of development in the offensive approach are the items for me that warrant a C+
....did I say that?......apparently......the bench issue has been calmed......so maybe now stretch to B-.......this year so far.....
Last edited by section(105) 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

105, we need to see a much more dynamic offense next season.

We've been promised one, now it has to happen.....the roster should be plenty deep for it.....
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

theblueram wrote:I gave him a C+ because once EC went down, we were left with a team that couldn't even make the NIT. That team consisted of Hassan, JG, KI, JT along with Earl and 4. Next year, when EC is on the bench, we should remember that the team on the floor is not capable of making the NIT unless the frosh turn into the most underrated recruits.
So you don't think the rest of the current players will have any year-to-year improvement?
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Assessing Hurley and his four seasons at URI is always impacted by the emotion of "expectations" and from the very announcement of his hiring, Ram fan expectations have risen and these expectations largely did not correspond to performance. You can see this condition in looking at the summary of the prediction contest winners. In Hurley's first year, the winner was the 80th most pessimistic out of 85. In the second year it was 76 out of 78. This year the winner was 95 out of 95. Only last season did expectations come close to matching results as the winner was 13th out of 88. Much of this high expectation was fan based, but Hurley also played a good part in stoking the emotion, especially in his second year as he trumpeted the new recruits and the transfers - Minnis and Reischel- and Iffy.

Right or wrong and no matter the excuses, you can't get away from some disappointment in the Hurley regime.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Looks like the poll is a battle between the B+ and C+ crowd.

I think that certainly reflects some level of disappointment in his performance to date.....
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Poll question is ONLY for the 2015-2016 season itself.
Rating his entire 4 years would be another Poll.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ramster, I should have said performance this year, instead of to date.. that's what I meant.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:ramster, I should have said performance this year, instead of to date.. that's what I meant.
Ok, good. I know it's a bit hard to limit only to one season.
Somebody is pretty miserable to have given an "F" :cry: :cry: :cry:
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yeah, that wasn't me..... ;)
0 x
kal-65
Jeff Kent

Unread post by kal-65 »

whoever posted the f's ,has their head where the sun don't shine.i gave him a B

imo THE TEAM IS NOT GREATER THAN THE SUM OF ITS PARTS
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

rambone 78 wrote:Yeah, that wasn't me..... ;)
Me neither! I was a B-. Admittedly, I am most vocal about what I would like to see fixed and, really, it's probably closer to incomplete. But, some bright spots in the year. Iverson was better than I thought and JG took a nice step forward.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......should do a poll on who is the grade F, tuff marker!!.......if it was a serious vote, would love to hear the explanation....
Last edited by section(105) 8 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I wonder if that person was serious or just busting balls. I went with "C." Probably should have had an "I" in the poll. Most would probably pick that one.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramfan85 wrote:I wonder if that person was serious or just busting balls. I went with "C." Probably should have had an "I" in the poll. Most would probably pick that one.
I don't think there should be an "I" because there is value in seeing:
- The incoming recruiting class and how they performed?
- How the recruiting class from next year 2016 fall looks?
- How did the players perform in the classroom and conduct themselves in general bringing respect to themselves and the university?
- Did all stay on track to graduate?
- How did each player perform and how much improved from prior year?
- Did the team play with good chemistry?
- How did the team react in the face of adversity, injuries, and illnesses?
- How was the team attitude? Did players like one another? Did they throw tantrums when coming out of the game? Did they enjoy one another's company? This is important when potential recruits are visiting and comparing URI to their other options.
- etc etc

The players and the coaching staff took the class, they played all 32 games. May not be the result on the Final Exam that everyone wanted but they did take the exam and all of the quizzes.
Last edited by ramster 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Good points.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

The one problem I had with Dan was his obvious public depression after E.C.'s injury. It's certainly OK and normal to feel that way, but he shouldn't have let the fans and especially his team see it. That being said, I hope he's here for a long time.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:The one problem I had with Dan was his obvious public depression after E.C.'s injury. It's certainly OK and normal to feel that way, but he shouldn't have let the fans and especially his team see it. That being said, I hope he's here for a long time.
Billy,
I know that point was made by several posters but I think it is an example of just how much Dan cares for his players. He can't hide it, he is not good at hiding it, it's who he is as a person and it is also why his players display as much loyalty to him and to each other. Never had that kind of thing in the previous regime.
I was right there front and center at the 9 minute mark in the first game. It was devastating. The entire rest of the game was a blur. Coaching staff and players were stunned. I think Dan knew better than anyone how much losing EC would mean to the team.i adjusted my preseason prediction down by 3 games. I was way off. My guess is the loss cost us 8-10 games. Nobody thought it would cost us that many at the time. Some posters didn't even think it would hurt much at all, but we were off and Dan knew it. He admitted later on to letting it go on too long, but easier said than done.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote:......should do a poll on who is the grade F, tuff marker!!.......if it was a serious vote, would love to hear the explanation....
Can you imagine an "F" now.........what would that posters grades be during the previous Baron and Degregorio years?
Last edited by ramster 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The votes in this poll are almost all in the B+ to C range.

I think this is a very accurate assessment of his performance this year, and within a fairly small range.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

B+ from yours truly. I would have liked to have seen a little more zone played to avoid some of the foul problems we had and also some double teams down low. The most obvious was the lack of any double teaming against Rhoomes of Fordham. We should have had the mind set of having someone else beat us as opposed to Rhoomes having little difficulty making shots from 2 feet from the hoop.
No when can argue that the team did not play real hard for every minute of every game.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

In Summary:
3 A's with 1 A and 2 A-
24 B's with 13 being B+
15 C's with 10 being C+
1 F

"A" from yours truly. This was the highest of all participants fwiw
My reasoning:

I predicted 25-6 (reducing from original 28-3 with EC Injury and Obadiah generous 2nd chance). We finished 17-14 so I was off by 8
I predicted 15-3 Conference. We finished 9-9 so off 6 games in Conf.
In looking back I think injuries cost us 7 of the 9 A10 Conf losses:
- EC (was out for all 9 losses)
- Martin (sat out Fordham loss and played only 10 minutes of his final game of season @ Davidson loss plus was impacted all season)
- Iverson (sat out UMASS OT loss and played only 10 minutes with 0 points in 1st game back vs Dayton loss. Iverson played only 19 minutes against St Joe before being literally knocked out by Isaiah Miles)
- Garrett and Iverson were both hurt in the St Joe game. Garrett had a tooth knocked out and he had to wear a difficult mask in 6 of the A10 losses to protect his jaw. How much this hurt his game we can only guess, but it had to be significant.
- With all healthy I still think we lose St Joe (lost by 9) and @ VCU (lost by 16)
- So bottom line I think we would have gone 16-2. We might have even won the St Joe Game at home if EC played, Iverson did not get knocked out, Martin did not have the knee problem and Garrett did not have his tooth knocked out and jaw damaged.

Sun. 10 at Saint Joseph's L, 72-67 WIN
Wed. Jan13 at St. Bonaventure L, 69-64 WIN
Fri. Jan22 at George Washington L, 62-58 WIN

Sat. Jan 30 Saint Joseph's L, 64-55 LOSE Iverson and Garrett injured severely in this game
Tue. Feb 2 at Massachusetts L, 61-56 OT - Iverson out WIN
Fri. Feb 12 Dayton L, 68-66 - Iverson 1st game back after being out 3 games. Played 10 minutes with 0 points WIN

Tue. Feb 16 at VCU L, 83-67 LOSE
Tue. Feb 23 at Davidson L, 65-54 - Martin's last game of the season. Played only 10 minutes then out. WIN
Sat. March 5 at Fordham L, 64-61 - Martin out WIN

High Points:
- Despite the hardships with injuries the players and coaches stuck together
- No conflicts or dissension - even with the losses and the high hopes going into the season
- Players were resilient, fought hard to overcome obstacles
- Martin was amazing to play as long as he did with his knee injury. What a courageous player.
- Garrett was amazing to play with the mask. Never have seen a mask like that used. What a courageous player.
2012 to 2013 went 8-21 (3-13)
2013 to 2014 went 14-18 (5-11)
2014 to 2015 went 23-10 (13-5)
2015 to 2016 went 17-15 (9-9) - Injuries to EC, Martin, Garrett and Iverson impacted final record significantly. We learned later on that Martin had been injured most of the season then could go on no further. Two 1st team A10 preseason selections were injured all year.

2015-2016 Incoming Recruits and Transfers:
- Iverson was well above my expectations. Earned starting spot. Led team in rebounding with 7.1 rpg, 10 ppg. Good passing, good defense. Excellent transfer into the program. More than filled Biruta's shoes. High hopes for next year.
- McGlynn was above my expectations. Earned starting spot. Tough situation to be put into from Game 1 but we were fortunate to have had him transfer to URI.
- Berry, Akele and Thompson all showed potential. They were on a team with established starters. All showed they had the potential to start one day in the future.
- Stanford Robinson sat out the year. Good to have a former ESPN Top 100 and Indiana transfer to provide talent and depth next year. Good addition.

2016-2017 Incoming Recruits and Transfers:
- Big Mike Layssard, Jeff Dowtin, Michael Tertsea and Cyril Langevine were all solid 3 star recruits signed in November. All had good Senior years and will be welcome additions to next year's team

General Observation:
- Whenever we win there is seldom a positive comment towards the coaching. Comments are always about who got how many points, assists, rebounds, blocked shots, etc, basically certain players individual performances enabled the win. Likely is that way with most all teams
- Whenever we lost the reasons early in the season were attributed to FTs and later on much criticism of coaching. Much attributed to Coach not able to win the close ones. Maybe he deserves credit for just being able to have kept the games close considering????

Looking at the W/L records for the past 4 years and the progress that has been made I think that the big issue this year was the injuries to EC, Martin, Iverson and Garrett. I know injuries are part of the game but not to this degree.

Opportunities to improve:
I would like to see improvement in inbounding the ball under the hoop. Have a tall guy throw in instead of guards. This was a challenge often with either turnovers or 5 second calls
Less dribbling, more passing, less one on one. Some games we passed exceptionally well and unselfishly, some games we didn't. The tough defense of VCU, Dayton and St Joe tended to take us out of our game and could be part of the reason for less passing and more turnovers
Better shot selection - sometimes took off balance shots, some went in but overall we need to take the highest percentage shot possible
But in the end these are just my opinions, I am not an expert by any means compared to DH so I'll continue to trust in DH and be thankful that he is our Head Coach and hopefully will be for a long time to come.
GO RHODY!!!!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Could not agree more with: Maybe he deserves credit for just being able to have kept the games close considering????

Also: I would like to see improvement in inbounding the ball under the hoop. Have a tall guy throw in instead of guards. This was a challenge often with either turnovers or 5 second calls I don't think this was limited to just 'under the hoop.' Seemed to be dicey whether it was under either hoop or side out. That seems like a definite opportunity.

More passing and less dribbling against pressure would seem to be another opportunity, although...for the most part JG did a decent job of that, especially considering the mask. Without that hindrance and 'with' EC next year, seems that should be less of an issue. This year, it definitely cost them a few possessions.
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

I'm going with B+ because we were in most games and i don't believe it's the coaches fault we can't shoot free throws. Other than recruiting people who can't shoot free throws but sometimes that's not obvious until the crowds are bigger. Being on the refs constantly for no reason and the Maryland situation were obviously embarrassing and a deduction of points. But I'm not going to let my disappointment of the season get in the way of my grade. I think he did a good job overall.

Btw I was ecstatic with B+'s in college. Probably spelling ecstatic wrong
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Fair assessment, lurker.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

A decent B. Injuries were ridiculous. But too many last minute losses that should have been wins. I give him credit for toning down his embarrassing act late in the season.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

agree with the lurk...and I was always ecstatic with a B+, too
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

I gave him a B. Disappointment in the final results for sure, but Garrett taking a huge step forward this year surely with Dan's assistance will be a major boon to next year's team.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Poll ends tomorrow night. 56 votes tallied to date so great response
5 A's
34 B's
16 C's
1 F

A 2% [ 1 ]
A- 7% [ 4 ]
B+ 29% [ 16 ]
B 23% [ 13 ]
B- 9% [ 5 ]
C+ 18% [ 10 ]
C 11% [ 6 ]
F 2% [ 1 ]
Total votes : 56
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

I feel that I am not qualified to judge coach Hurley's progress.
Sure, I played in HS and college, and coached HS freshman, and have been around this program thirty one years, but appreciate the complexities of being a head coach in one of D1's top 10 conference, at a school that is often in the top 100......Meeting academic standards, recruiting, coaching, personal appearances representing the school and program, the many days of traveling, mentoring, staff development, and ultimately coaching [not to mention raising a family], are all part of managing the job.

.....Coach took our program in his first three years, from 14th to 10th, to 2nd in conference play.

.....15-16 was not what we had hoped for, but I saw so many positive.
...Player development, both on and off the court.
...Academic standing continues to improve.
...Recruiting is up to a level that will ensure a continued influx of quality players.

.....At the first meet and greet held for coach, he promised us, 'that our players would compete, and be players with character who would represent the program in a way that would make the fans proud". That promise has been met.

It was obvious to all, that the "short bench" was the major factor in the performance this last season. In spite of the obstacles, I enjoyed the season. The players gave it all.....The coaches are learning to be better at their jobs.
I expect we will see a markedly improved result next year.

No grade for the coach offered by me. Just keep up the good work, and I am happy you are here.
Our success is just around the corner.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Hear Hear!!
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

theblueram wrote:I gave him a C+ because once EC went down, we were left with a team that couldn't even make the NIT. That team consisted of Hassan, JG, KI, JT along with Earl and 4. Next year, when EC is on the bench, we should remember that the team on the floor is not capable of making the NIT unless the frosh turn into the most underrated recruits.
I still stand by this statement.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The early returns are in for the 2016-17 season.......F
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Make a new thread instead of digging up these old ones.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Also I will add, since I created this, that it was done in March. I personally would not create something like this until the season is over. Conference Play is a huge factor in determining the level of success for a team for a season.
2 x