Here We Go Again...

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Re: Here We Go Again...

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

If Rutgers can't get the best players in NJ then maybe a guy like lonergan can even things out since he's shown he can get those good international players.
Although, I question his abililities a little bit since he failed to get his very talented and senior laden GW team to the dance.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

If DH leaves, we just wish him well with the work he'll have to do at Rutgers and hope for a couple of things:

1. Thorr and Dooley make an excellent hire that will continue on with this rebuild without missing a beat.
2. This hire is able to keep all the members of the current roster and all the recruits from leaving.

Honestly, Hurley really could continue to build something special here. I hope he realizes this and stays. But if he goes and the above two things occur, then we will be in good shape.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

ElmCityRhody wrote:ATP - you need to talk me off the ledge now...

ughhhh

can't believe this is going down again w/ this effin rutgers :oops:
ECR MAKES THE BREAK FROM KEANEY BLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HE CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOBiNI-JbNM
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Lonergan is not a serious candidate. He was only in the mix because he has the same agent as Dan and others in the same NJ crowd.
0 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

steviep123 wrote:If DH leaves, we just wish him well with the work he'll have to do at Rutgers and hope for a couple of things:

1. Thorr and Dooley make an excellent hire that will continue on with this rebuild without missing a beat.
2. This hire is able to keep all the members of the current roster and all the recruits from leaving.

Honestly, Hurley really could continue to build something special here. I hope he realizes this and stays. But if he goes and the above two things occur, then we will be in good shape.
If he leaves, I'll thank him for getting the URI program back on its feet and primed for the future, but I certainly won't be pulling for him at Rutgers. Why would I? In that scenario, we're going to be competing with him every year for the best NY/NJ recruits, and we all know how much weight his last name carries.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

An obstacle that could work to our favor? Who would have thunk it?

http://www.app.com/story/sports/college ... /81806464/
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

NJRhodyFan wrote:
steviep123 wrote:If DH leaves, we just wish him well with the work he'll have to do at Rutgers and hope for a couple of things:

If he leaves, I'll thank him for getting the URI program back on its feet and primed for the future, but I certainly won't be pulling for him at Rutgers. Why would I? In that scenario, we're going to be competing with him every year for the best NY/NJ recruits, and we all know how much weight his last name carries.
Yeah, look how many he lured and/or were sent his way.....
If he leaves, he leaves.
He'd do the supporters of URI a helluva lot better at this point by just saying he's staying and put an end to this nonsense-- if he is indeed staying. He doesn't have to leverage anything here. T.B. and Dooley have his back.
Does he have theirs?
He could have easily and dramatically done so last night at the end of the get-together.
What better way to celebrate the greatness of Dan Hurley and URI Basketball?????
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I offer no conclusion with these remarks.

Factors favoring Dan Hurley staying at URI

• Rutgers would be his third rebuilding job.
• After a tough season, Hurley is currently in a state of exhaustion, not the prime mental state to take on the mess that is Rutgers.
• His family likes RI, his son will be a senior at Hendricken, and returning to the family pressure cooker that is NJ is not automatically attractive.
• Hurley can get an extension on his URI contract.
• Hurley values are not rooted in big personal spending, he is more motivated to get better pay for his staff, some staff changes, increased number of staff trainers and others. This is all doable.
• Before Hurley, URI BB was in the bottom four of conference teams on expenses, URI is now in the middle of the pack, and committed to moving up to the top four and has gotten administration and alumni support for this to happen.
• Hurley values his commitment to his current players, the incoming players, and some future prospects. Very complicated situations.

Factors favoring Dan Hurley leaving URI

• Big time Big Ten
• $7 million more over the same time span.
• Returns home to NJ (see countervailing force above).
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Is Jerry D available?
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote:An obstacle that could work to our favor? Who would have thunk it?

http://www.app.com/story/sports/college ... /81806464/
Barchi is the President of Rutgers, but he is not Nick Matiello at the R.I. House of Representatives. The choices made concerning athletics were politically twisted, and flawed in character.
Dan Hurley and the "N.J. Hurley Brand" salve all long-term Turnpike injuries.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Bressler - he looks like the guy in your Avatar.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

bressler3south wrote:
NJRhodyFan wrote:

Yeah, look how many he lured and/or were sent his way.....
If he leaves, he leaves.
He'd do the supporters of URI a helluva lot better at this point by just saying he's staying and put an end to this nonsense-- if he is indeed staying. He doesn't have to leverage anything here. T.B. and Dooley have his back.
Does he have theirs?
He could have easily and dramatically done so last night at the end of the get-together.
What better way to celebrate the greatness of Dan Hurley and URI Basketball?????
Ouch, Bress.
Seriously, there is a pantload of pressure on DH to make the Dance next season. If he flops, he's likely to flop again the following season.

If his game coaching skills don't improve, it could happen, then what have we got?

Another CFL. More NIT's, less fun.

I hope to High Holy Hell that this doesn't happen. NCAA's don't happen because some know-it-alls think it will.

And we need our players to start making plays and shots to win close games. None of them, save Four a couple of times [and he's gone] did that this season. Who new is coming in to help change that? Dowtin? He's a freshmen, he's not likely to see the court at the end of games, unless he's REALLY good. And don't get me started about EC. He has to prove he can do it too.

Still, I'll be happy if Dan stays. For now. Those two words sum up the whole deal.
Last edited by rambone 78 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This Rutgers Message Board is a fun place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.

One poster named SkilletHead2.....so was SkilletHead1 already taken?

What a mess over there :roll: :roll: :roll:

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threa ... ley.81393/
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Obadiah wrote:I offer no conclusion with these remarks.

• After a tough season, Hurley is currently in a state of exhaustion, not the prime mental state to take on the mess that is Rutgers.
• His family likes RI, his son will be a senior at Hendricken, and returning to the family pressure cooker that is NJ is not automatically attractive.
• Hurley values are not rooted in big personal spending, he is more motivated to get better pay for his staff, some staff changes, increased number of staff trainers and others. This is all doable.
• Before Hurley, URI BB was in the bottom four of conference teams on expenses, URI is now in the middle of the pack, and committed to moving up to the top four and has gotten administration and alumni support for this to happen.
• Hurley values his commitment to his current players, the incoming players, and some future prospects. Very complicated situations.

• Big time Big Ten
Just want to add one thing to this. Forgive me while I break out some CBO-nerd talk here, but with regard to the bold: it is only true using a static scoring model. Using a dynamic scoring model and projecting Hurley success at URI in the near term, his salary will either be brought in line with Rutgers here or greatly increased at a program that is bigger and better than Rutgers. I actually think this is one of the biggest factors for him staying. I think it is easy to make the argument that leaving URI for Rutgers is only a good financial move in the immediate near-term, and long-term it would be a net negative.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

SkilletHead2 killed SkilletHead1.

With a skillet.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Its Lonnergan, Hurley, or Jwilliams? I feel like that is poor company. Although I think Jwilliams is the man. But he's never coached?so...

I say as long as ACE remains hidden then DH is potentially gone.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:

• Big time Big Ten
Just want to add one thing to this. Forgive me while I break out some CBO-nerd talk here, but with regard to the bold: it is only true using a static scoring model. Using a dynamic scoring model and projecting Hurley success at URI in the near term, his salary will either be brought in line with Rutgers here or greatly increased at a program that is bigger and better than Rutgers. I actually think this is one of the biggest factors for him staying. I think it is easy to make the argument that leaving URI for Rutgers is only a good financial move in the immediate near-term, and long-term it would be a net negative.
Excellent point
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

• Big time Big Ten
Good logical summary Obadiah
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

ramster wrote:This Rutgers Message Board is a fun place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.

One poster named SkilletHead2.....so was SkilletHead1 already taken?

What a mess over there :roll: :roll: :roll:

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threa ... ley.81393/
Different take by me I think a lot of those guys are pretty darn funny
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

ramster wrote:
TruePoint wrote:

• Big time Big Ten
Excellent point
There is just one big assumption in there. He fails at Rutgers. Actually, two flawed assumptions. Rhody is never paying him $2MM even if he got to the Final Four. If you are building 1,000 outcomes, my guess is the higher average outcome is taking the Rutgers job and seeing where life takes you from there. Starting $7MM ahead is like having a 40 yard dash race where one starts 10 yards ahead. Not impossible to catch up but sort of hard. You guys really think he won't be able to get a mid-major job if he struggles at Rutgers? The only way staying at URI makes the financial equation work is if he crushes it next year and gets a mid tier P5 job at a salary that is close to what Rutgers is offering (more than average P5 right now) vs. flaming out at Rutgers. If money was the only issue, no way does he turn this down.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rambone 78 wrote:SkilletHead2 killed SkilletHead1.

With a skillet.
In the library.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

As far as money, it's more than double. He's been offered close to 2 1/2 per.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

bressler3south wrote:
ElmCityRhody wrote:ATP - you need to talk me off the ledge now...

ughhhh

can't believe this is going down again w/ this effin rutgers :oops:
ECR MAKES THE BREAK FROM KEANEY BLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HE CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOBiNI-JbNM

This isn't helping !!!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:As far as money, it's more than double. He's been offered close to 2 1/2 per.
Really? confirmed via tweet? Or, just speculation?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:As far as money, it's more than double. He's been offered close to 2 1/2 per.
That's what I was told.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Why would we never pay Dan $2mil a year? I think his comp goes up to $1.25mil in this contract. I think someone once said we would never pay Dan $1mil before. URI is not the URI of carothers anymore.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

If he stays and we have a good year, imagine what this thread will be like next year.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
That's what I was told.

So...basically...you're saying it was not a tweet...and therefore, it's just speculation?
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

We are losing our coach and the circus is in town..

All is good now !
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote:We are losing our coach and the circus is in town..

All is good now !

Party on, Garth!
0 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

If Dan stays he needs to bring in a veteran coaching presence to the staff. It is doubtful that his ego will allow it; but he needs some guidance on the bench. Closing out games, coming out of time outs and his constant whining, complaining and showing up officials has hurt this team. He has done an above average job bringing in talent but below average in game coaching.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Gonebarongone wrote:
TruePoint wrote:

• Big time Big Ten
There is just one big assumption in there. He fails at Rutgers. Actually, two flawed assumptions. Rhody is never paying him $2MM even if he got to the Final Four. If you are building 1,000 outcomes, my guess is the higher average outcome is taking the Rutgers job and seeing where life takes you from there. Starting $7MM ahead is like having a 40 yard dash race where one starts 10 yards ahead. Not impossible to catch up but sort of hard. You guys really think he won't be able to get a mid-major job if he struggles at Rutgers? The only way staying at URI makes the financial equation work is if he crushes it next year and gets a mid tier P5 job at a salary that is close to what Rutgers is offering (more than average P5 right now) vs. flaming out at Rutgers. If money was the only issue, no way does he turn this down.
This is something that happens all the time. A guy signs a seven year deal or something and it sets the market and three years later the deal looks just average because the market catches up. Let's say Hurley gets to the tournament next year and wins a game. Some schools come calling, but not a-list schools and URI throws some more money into the assistants pool and he Hurley comes back. In year 2 he gets into the NCAAs and wins two games. Now he is a huge commodity. He can probably get the best job available, which will likely pay more than 2M/yr. Alternatively, maybe there isn't a a-list job open but some schools come after him and he leverages that again to re-up with URI. URI is already paying him 1M/yr at that point. Now you have new revenues - not even counting all the squishy revenue from increased ticket sales, sponsorship, chances for buy-games and donations (which is all sure to come), you're guaranteed a nice chunk from your tournament appearances and wins, plus an increased conference share. His salary at that point would be inching close enough to what he would have got at Rutgers to make going to Rutgers a poor decision, whether he stays or goes.

Now, that success is obviously not guaranteed. But if I were going to bet on myself I think I'd like my odds on winning the next two years at URI over the chance that you are the Neo of college basketball that can make Rutgers good against all known laws of the natural world.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Cameron_Dollar wrote:If Dan stays he needs to bring in a veteran coaching presence to the staff. It is doubtful that his ego will allow it; but he needs some guidance on the bench. Closing out games, coming out of time outs and his constant whining, complaining and showing up officials has hurt this team. He has done an above average job bringing in talent but below average in game coaching.

Yeah...and except for a chance to double your salary at a (pretend) P5 school...that is NOT going to get one far in life...
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I am probably in the minority, but if DH is not planning on being here longterm (3 or 4 years minimum) I would rather him leave now. Get the next guy in with a good team he can hopefully make the dance with and jump start recruiting. I think that transition will work well for VCU. Plus a million in the bank from Rutgers won't hurt so long as it is reinvested.

I say this, but my obvious preference in DH for a long time as out coach. I think he is fantastic, I just don't know how realistic it is to expect him to remain here long term even though I think it is a better job than most lower end P-5 schools (except the money)
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Better to be trying to keep a coach that others want than to have a coach you can't get rid of.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I feel like this board is inaccurate often but I kind of make it a rule to not point to facts because thats not fun.

Sean Miller is the 10th highest paid coach in the land at Arizona coming in at a whopping 2.2M. This according to the tournament list from 2015.

So how the hell is Dan "I have hardly sniffed a tournament" Hurley getting a 2.5?

This board always talks about a big school swooping in and will woo Dan with a huge salary bla bla... Well the truth is those schools usually have a coach and the 10th highest paid guy is at 2.2 so everyone else falls in line from there.

Also "why doesn't someone grab Cooley?".. Well he is on the list for close to 1.2M. To coach the team where he grew up. Where that 1.2M is worth it. That means there is only 1m per year between Cooley and the top 10. So why would he jump ship for a few 100k to go live somewhere he never gave one thought? Yea Kentucky! Duke! UNC! Keep going down the line and those schools that could make the salary jump matter to a Cooley all have coaches.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salarie ... ball/coach
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote:Better to be trying to keep a coach that others want than to have a coach you can't get rid of.
Been there done that
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

This is not at all like CFL as some have said. Every time Dan goes through this process he holds out to maximize the improvements to the program. It's like Christmas in March.

Things like assistant coaches salary pool will enable the program to retain top assistants and provide stability to the players.

Relationships with his players have been talked down, but in this specific round of planning, Dan values that commitment more than the average coach might at any given time.

Lastly, the prospect of the 3rd dumpster fire rebuild in 7 years is of major concern.

Koch and Zagoria both had these points in tweets or reports in the last 24 hours. Makes me think those are the driving factors Dan himself is sharing.

Institutional support and commitment is also a top concern. Many have discussed in detail here, but Rhode Island is in a position to soon operate as a top 4 program in The A10. That will allow Dan to maintain a championship caliber program and maximize results/revenue in his time here, while positioning him for a better job than Rutgers years from now.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Seawrightspostgame wrote:I feel like this board is inaccurate often but I kind of make it a rule to not point to facts because thats not fun.
I disagree. Facts are fun as heck.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

CFL? Like I said, I would hate to have another coach we can't get rid of.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Makes me wonder the Hurley name is worth a few hundred K a year whether or not he's Danced.

There will be other offers for Dan at some point whether he's here or there.

Maybe they won't be for 2.5 per if he doesn't win anything here, but he'll be ok.
Last edited by rambone 78 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

I still think he stays, probably because he is a Hurley. I wonder how much cash senior would have made if he left his high school job.Yeah, money is important but I don't think that his dad pushed that as a number one priority. Can he look EC and Hass and say that money is getting me to leave. He has a job to finish and he will be back to complete it.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I wish Ace would chime in. She hasn't posted since the 10th.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:I feel like this board is inaccurate often but I kind of make it a rule to not point to facts because thats not fun.
I disagree. Facts are fun as heck.
Especially facts that are tweeted :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

neil, you're right if it was just the money it's bye-bye birdie.....

But it's not. He wants to win, and to win you got to have the foundation beneath you.

I think we'll hear something in the next couple of days...it's not a done deal yet [him staying] but it's close I think....

Ace will post when it becomes known that he's staying, I would think.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This just posted on the Rutgers board........

Never heard anyone say we have an unattractive campus. Has anyone ever heard that or thought that?
These Rutgers posters are about what you would expect from a program like they have.

"I'm also sick and tired of people claiming this si the worst job in the country. It all comes down to who can I'm also sick and tired of people claiming this si the worst job in the country. It all comes down to who can recruit and then coach them up. Who ever thought Wagner or for that matter Rhode Island would be attractive places to coach. Living in the Boston I'm familiar with URI and it gets very little publicity , it's an unattractive campus with a mediocre academic rep , and a poor step sister to Providence..Yet Hurley took it and thrived. Yes URI had Lamar Odum but that's about it......"
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

rambone 78 wrote:neil, you're right if it was just the money it's bye-bye birdie.....

But it's not. He wants to win, and to win you got to have the foundation beneath you.

I think we'll hear something in the next couple of days...it's not a done deal yet [him staying] but it's close I think....

Sorry for asking this, but I was curious about her relationship with DH last year, and I've never seen the thread where she first came aboard...

Is she like his sister or something?
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Guess they don't teach English there. Too many tweets.....not enough punctuation.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rhodyrudder wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:neil, you're right if it was just the money it's bye-bye birdie.....

Sorry for asking this, but I was curious about her relationship with DH last year, and I've never seen the thread where she first came aboard...

Is she like his sister or something?
It is not totally known, but I don't think she is a sister (not even sure if they have a sister). Probably not a stretch to say family friend or old friend.
0 x