Here We Go Again...

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Here We Go Again...

Unread post by BFC »

If facilities is Hurley's big issue, then how is Rutgers a threat? They're at the bottom of their conference as far as facilities and what kind of assurances can they really make as far as those investments?

Seems like Hurley's big pet peeve right now is the assistant coaches' salaries.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

TP, all well and good, but there's a limit to what URI can do I'm sure.

Dan is smart enough to know that he can't ask for the moon and expect URI to give it to him.

He's been around here long enough to know where things stand.

If DH had got us to the Dance by now, I would expect URI to do whatever it takes within reason to keep him.

That's the key words. Within reason. If Dooley thinks Dan WILL deliver on his promises, then maybe it will happen. If there's any doubt, that could be a deal breaker?

BFC, that's also possible. Our assistants make squat compared to the top half of the A10 for sure.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Again, for the zillionth time,
you want to raise revenues?
Beat PC, win some games we're not supposed to win.
Win some close games for a change.
Go to a couple of NCAAs, maybe win a game there.
Have an offense that makes the game exciting.
Then if the Ryan Center isn't filled, you'll
have a right to complain about the fanbase.
Not until those things happen.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Reportedly, Lonergan has interviewed too but is unlikely: http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/ncaa/sour ... rs-opening
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rod, I think Dan wants URI to reward him BEFORE these things happen.

In a perfect world, they would. But how can they keep doing it?

Is the elastic band stretched to the limit? Going to ask Ryan and other boosters to pony up a few more million?

I'll bet Fleming sees this, and wonders why they can't pay him more than 225K a year.

That's less than some CAA ASSISTANTS make I think. Or darn close.

BFC, at least Rutgers is covering their bases, knowing that Dan might not take the job.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rambone 78 wrote:TP, all well and good, but there's a limit to what URI can do I'm sure.

Dan is smart enough to know that he can't ask for the moon and expect URI to give it to him.

He's been around here long enough to know where things stand.

If DH had got us to the Dance by now, I would expect URI to do whatever it takes within reason to keep him.

That's the key words. Within reason. If Dooley thinks Dan WILL deliver on his promises, then maybe it will happen. If there's any doubt, that could be a deal breaker?

BFC, that's also possible. Our assistants make squat compared to the top half of the A10 for sure.
Reading the way you're talking about this, it sounds like you're looking at it like Hurley is putting a gun to their head. I think this is less of an ultimatum and more of a collaborative situation where they WANT Dan to tell them what the program needs. That is part of his job description. Can they deliver on all of it at once? No, but revisiting every year helps them evaluate where they are in the process.

rodfromcranston wrote:Again, for the zillionth time,
This is pretty much what I said in my last post. I think the coach understands it. If you notice, he has not thrown any shade at the fan base or talked about attendance at all this past season, really. I'm sure he is frustrated specifically because he recognizes that winning is the thing that is going to make this place what he wants it to be, and as he said last night he feels like last season was stolen from him. I get shit here for thinking this was a tournament team with EC, and that's fine. But I can tell you that the coach believes that to the tips of his toes.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Dan may not be saying it,
but Koch seems to be saying some
of what Dan has said in the past.
I may be wrong, but I think Koch
is parroting what Dan has said to him in
conversation.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

TP, he said that last night.

He obviously knows more about it, but I think we would have had about 23 wins with everybody healthy.

That's slightly more than the 4 more wins I predicted in the poll. Still I don't think we would have won about 9 more, like you did.

Opinions vary.

Rod, how can Dan be pissed at the attendance, when we lose close game after close game?

People don't come just to see the good 'ole college try, but no cigar.

Can't beat PC or other good teams. Who's going to show up for LaSalle, or some OOC chump?

He needs to somehow force the issue with the marketing dept., which is no great shakes here.

That's a program improvement that needs to happen.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I cannot tell you what Dan has said to Bill Koch, but listening to Bill I get the sense that is a personal crusade for him. Hurley probably expressed something about it to him at some point, since he used to talk about his frustration pretty openly, but I don't know if Bill is under marching orders to bring it up all the time for seemingly no reason - to the point of antagonizing the fan base.

It does seem pretty obvious that if you win people will show up. If you lose, they probably won't. And if you tell them you're going to win and they show up and then you lose, you are compounding the problem in a way that makes that basic equation more complicated. I don't know how Bill doesn't understand that or why he holds it against the fans, but I think Hurley has figured it out a little even if he doesn't love it.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

BFC wrote:If facilities is Hurley's big issue, then how is Rutgers a threat? They're at the bottom of their conference as far as facilities and what kind of assurances can they really make as far as those investments?

I believe Rutgers has committed to a multi million $$ practice facility and major upgrade of the RAC already. I'll nose around the Rivals chat forum later, I read talk of it there earlier in the week...
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

rodfromcranston wrote:Again, for the zillionth time,
Rod nobody wants to hear that. It's too easy....

This team never quit and deserved better support. You gotta beat the Friars to get Joe casual and his family in the RC.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unfortunately, so many times in the last
four years, I've looked around at a nice size
crowd for a big game.
In every such instance except for the Nebraska game
last season, those crowds went home disappointed.
Probably get in their cars, wait forever to even get out
of the parking lot, and say,"Who needs this? Next time,
I'll watch it on television."
I have nice seats, and this is the second straight year
that not ONE person has sat next to me. Even at the PC game!
I think someone has a season ticket and just never bothered to
show up.
Look at the sections where season ticket holders are.
You usually see gaps of vacant seats.
One of the reasons CFL got fired was dwindling attendance and revenues.
URI has put forth a better effort in building the program
than at any point in my lifetime.
They need to get some return for their money to
justify their faith in the coach and the program.
0 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

I made the trip to the Ryan Center for the Dayton game last month, and I couldn't believe what a poor showing it was for a matchup with a top-20 team (I think Dayton was ranked #19 at the time). And the game was on a Friday night no less. But to Rod's point, you need to start winning some of these close games in order to get the casual fan back in the seat.

On a positive note, the student section was packed and rowdy even though the overall crowd left something to be desired. That was good to see. Vast improvement from the last few times I visited the Ryan Center.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

hrstrat57 wrote:
BFC wrote:If facilities is Hurley's big issue, then how is Rutgers a threat? They're at the bottom of their conference as far as facilities and what kind of assurances can they really make as far as those investments?

I believe Rutgers has committed to a multi million $$ practice facility and major upgrade of the RAC already. I'll nose around the Rivals chat forum later, I read talk of it there earlier in the week...
They have a proposal, NJ has approved spending tax credit money on some of it, fundraising is ongoing.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Update from Zags, one of the ones I trust. Same headline, but updated. Not over...
https://www.sny.tv/college-recruiting,r ... /167542634
0 x
Spook5365
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Spook5365 »

By harping on attendance as much as he has, Koch is basically lecturing the true fans who are actually going to games about the ones that aren't. It's pointless and has become old and irritating.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Please hire that insufferable turd Jay Williams, can't stand him on TV.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

"Everyone in the state wants him and Rutgers is the state school," a third source said of Hurley. "I think their fan base would be disappointed if [Hobbs] doesn't hire him."
This source clearly doesn't read Rutgers message boards.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

A few points -

I agree with Bill. This fan base is awful. I've said it pretty much my entire adult life.

This board has maybe 50 active posters, maybe 100 seldom posters, another 100 lurkers, and maybe 100 guests on top of that. Use bad math and round it up to 500 people. That's literally the amount of people that care deeply about this program. One tenth or less of what other basketball fanbases enjoy. The rest of the ryan center is filled with old people who don't own/know how to use computers...or who have ever watched basketball other than in Kingston.

Even when I was blue manning around there, I said it was sad that what I was doing was such a big deal. If I were at most other basketball schools, I'd be one of at least another 50 people that cared about their team that much. It's not just the Baron years, it's the fans in south county. Winning will solve everything, but this program doesn't get the support it deserves from the fans. Bill is a fan too. It's frustrating as shit to look at something, care about it, understand what is good for it, and hate that the masses that don't appreciate it could cost it the coach they need - not now, but in the future.

Thankfully, because the masses of fans are so pathetic, that a year from now after an NCAA trip - the bandwagon will be full, this board will exponentially go up in membership, and we'll never have to worry about getting the support from people.

Dan is the best coach in the A10. Injuries and missed execution in close losses have prevented him from being able to have that title. He'll stay until he's proven that.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

STC wrote:Please hire that insufferable turd Jay Williams, can't stand him on TV.
LOL...you mean, the Joe Morgan (without the credentials) of college BB?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:Update from Zags, one of the ones I trust. Same headline, but updated. Not over...

Hurley, Lonergan and Williams have reported by some on Rutgers and PC boards to have interviewed for the job.
Washington Post says Lonergan not interested
Supposedly Williams is the back-up plan if Hurley bows out according to some

Interesting reading on the Rutgers Rivals Board and also the PC Board has a poster BigSnoop who claims to know people in places at Rutgers and has been updating from the start of this. BigSnoops info even seems to beat the tweets - NYGiants208 will be happy to know :D :D

But my gut, heart and mind say DH is a lock to stay here :D :D
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

What??? Beats the tweets??? How could that be???
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
STC wrote:Please hire that insufferable turd Jay Williams, can't stand him on TV.
I'll disagree. I like the talking heads on ESPN. Jay, Seth, and Bilas have a nice chemistry, know their stuff, have credibility, and don't take themselves too seriously. They are so much better than the Hubert Davis/Digger/Bilas combo.

Far better than watching the smug and arrogant Doug Gottlieb from a few years back.

I like Jay and his life bounce-back story from his motorcycle accident is commendable and admirable.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
You may not like JW's delivery or the fact he is a NJ kid who went to Duke. That makes him pretty loathsome off the bat to many. But, his analysis is pretty spot on. I couldn't stand Seth Greenberg as a coach but I think the two of those guys are as good in studio as you an get in college hoops. They don't take themselves too seriously, they aren't afraid to take shots at players/coaches (usually verboten), and they know their stuff. I say this fully aware I am in the minority on this one!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Bob McKillop can coach rings around Dan.
I think Archie Miller is head and shoulders above
any other A-10 coach, except McKillop.
Martelli always comes back from the dead to have a great year,
and he's actually had a number one in the USA team.
Of course we have someone wanting to name
the court after Hurley.
Guess perspective is a difficult thing on KB.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote:A few points -

I agree with Bill. This fan base is awful. I've said it pretty much my entire adult life.

This board has maybe 50 active posters, maybe 100 seldom posters, another 100 lurkers, and maybe 100 guests on top of that. Use bad math and round it up to 500 people. That's literally the amount of people that care deeply about this program. One tenth or less of what other basketball fanbases enjoy. The rest of the ryan center is filled with old people who don't own/know how to use computers...or who have ever watched basketball other than in Kingston.

Even when I was blue manning around there, I said it was sad that what I was doing was such a big deal. If I were at most other basketball schools, I'd be one of at least another 50 people that cared about their team that much. It's not just the Baron years, it's the fans in south county. Winning will solve everything, but this program doesn't get the support it deserves from the fans. Bill is a fan too. It's frustrating as shit to look at something, care about it, understand what is good for it, and hate that the masses that don't appreciate it could cost it the coach they need - not now, but in the future.

Thankfully, because the masses of fans are so pathetic, that a year from now after an NCAA trip - the bandwagon will be full, this board will exponentially go up in membership, and we'll never have to worry about getting the support from people.

Dan is the best coach in the A10. Injuries and missed execution in close losses have prevented him from being able to have that title. He'll stay until he's proven that.

Whether he is right or not isn't the point. It would be super cool if everyone showed up no matter how the team performed, I guess. But that ain't reality. So what is the point of bitching about it endlessly? It is tired. Bill is a good reporter and a knowledgeable basketball person. Too good to be wasting his time worrying about something nobody can control on their own. If the team wins, the fans will show up. So what else needs to be said about it?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Gonebarongone wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
You may not like JW's delivery or the fact he is a NJ kid who went to Duke. That makes him pretty loathsome off the bat to many. But, his analysis is pretty spot on. I couldn't stand Seth Greenberg as a coach but I think the two of those guys are as good in studio as you an get in college hoops. They don't take themselves too seriously, they aren't afraid to take shots at players/coaches (usually verboten), and they know their stuff. I say this fully aware I am in the minority on this one!
I actually like Greenberg...just not a big JW guy. I'm not sure you are a minority, am guessing he has plenty of fans. The NJ/Duke part doesn't matter to me...just not a fan of his delivery...and it's not like I can't stand him...just not my preference.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I like Greenberg as well. You know who impressed me during the A10 tournament games was Dalen Cuff. Seemed like he really did his homework on those A10 teams. Hopefully he calls more Rhody games in the coming years, he's a local guy working for CSNNE. Don't have to worry about him sleeping around for his scoops either.

Also, can someone get Jay Bilas a real pair of shoes and remind him he's a 52 year old balding white guy. Stop trying so hard, Jay.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:Bob McKillop can coach rings around Dan.
the court after Hurley.
Agree with that...DH may someday be the best coach in the conference, but he's still behind these other guys for sure.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

rodfromcranston wrote: URI has put forth a better effort in building the program
This is completely true on both accounts. I'm sure you'd agree that in your lifetime there was never such an awful 12 year stretch as the program endured during the Jerry D/Baron disasters.

A fanbase isn't built overnight. You can see that the students started to come back, because they recognize what Hurley is doing here. Next years seniors will be the first full class of students that have seen basketball under Dan. You'll see even more students from all classes next year.

The masses are the same way, but more fickle since they've tried to be a fan through Baron's lost decade.

Even with all of the effort/funding going into the program, we're still in the bottom half of our conference for funding. There's a correlation that goes with that funding and where we wind up in the standings.

People only think about the head coach salary and don't consider what a proper assistant's pool should be. If you keep losing good assistant coaches every year, you have to waste time recruiting new coaches, and acclimating players to those new coaches, instead of just coaching.

I know people want to see a return for their money...but if their money is only going to tickets, they're just covering the status quo.

Yes the NCAA tournament is the easy way to get a legitimate budget underfoot - but if you want to get there in this conference, everyone needs to pony up and put their money where their mouths are by donating....even if it's 25 or 50 bucks. We were an underfunded program for over a decade, if people want to see a properly funded program that can compete, they have to help make up that difference.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

rodfromcranston wrote:Bob McKillop can coach rings around Dan.
the court after Hurley.
That's why I said Dan will be here until he proves that.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Blue Man. You have mentioned old people in many of your posts, but they are not the problem and as matter of fact, many of the regular posters on this board fall into that category. But in my observations, what we are unable to grow seems to be the student population, and grads that are under 40. I've been to all but 2 of the home games this year and the students seem to show up when there is a freebee, or a game that is super hyped. Would you say this is the fault of the marketing department, or the product?
Who is everyone blaming for the attendance issue?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote: URI has put forth a better effort in building the program
This is completely true on both accounts. I'm sure you'd agree that in your lifetime there was never such an awful 12 year stretch as the program endured during the Jerry D/Baron disasters.

A fanbase isn't built overnight. You can see that the students started to come back, because they recognize what Hurley is doing here. Next years seniors will be the first full class of students that have seen basketball under Dan. You'll see even more students from all classes next year.

The masses are the same way, but more fickle since they've tried to be a fan through Baron's lost decade.

Even with all of the effort/funding going into the program, we're still in the bottom half of our conference for funding. There's a correlation that goes with that funding and where we wind up in the standings.

People only think about the head coach salary and don't consider what a proper assistant's pool should be. If you keep losing good assistant coaches every year, you have to waste time recruiting new coaches, and acclimating players to those new coaches, instead of just coaching.

I know people want to see a return for their money...but if their money is only going to tickets, they're just covering the status quo.

Yes the NCAA tournament is the easy way to get a legitimate budget underfoot - but if you want to get there in this conference, everyone needs to pony up and put their money where their mouths are by donating....even if it's 25 or 50 bucks. We were an underfunded program for over a decade, if people want to see a properly funded program that can compete, they have to help make up that difference.
Bm....that's easy to say..but currently doing out of state tuition x2 and a pair of season tix. Look up the OOS tuition, please. I think my level of financial support is good for now. Maybe after our kids graduate, it can be a possibility...but for now, I'm comfortable with my current level of $upport. Will be happy to participate in any fund-raiser events we're invited to (hasn't happened)...but I'm not about to write a separate check right now.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

ramster wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Update from Zags, one of the ones I trust. Same headline, but updated. Not over...

Hurley, Lonergan and Williams have reported by some on Rutgers and PC boards to have interviewed for the job.
Washington Post says Lonergan not interested
Supposedly Williams is the back-up plan if Hurley bows out according to some

Interesting reading on the Rutgers Rivals Board and also the PC Board has a poster BigSnoop who claims to know people in places at Rutgers and has been updating from the start of this. BigSnoops info even seems to beat the tweets - NYGiants208 will be happy to know :D :D

But my gut, heart and mind say DH is a lock to stay here :D :D
Some on the Rutgers board are saying that both sides are using their media allies to haggle over adding a 7th year to the contract offer. The theory is Hurley is holding out for the 7th year and trying to put pressure on Rutgers by having Zags write the its not a forgone conclusion stuff. And Hobbs (Rutgers AD) is using Steve Politi who has been talking up the other candidates and saying if they don't hear back from Hurley soon, they will move on.
Last edited by BFC 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

For sure we need to win, win the close ones, get an NCAA Bid or two.....................no doubt that needs to happen and needs to happen next year

More fans will turn out, but I'm not so sure they will come back too quickly or in big numbers. Baron years took a big toll. Fan base is old, many seem disinterested, lots of graduates leave Rhode Island for jobs and those are some of the most fun spirited, driven, enthusiastic potential future fans we have but the economy is just not good here, certainly bigger opportunities elsewhere

Would love to see a sold out Ryan Center but even a Top 25 ranked team may not consistently draw more than 6000 per game. Hope I'm wrong.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:

Bm....that's easy to say..but currently doing out of state tuition x2 and a pair of season tix. Look up the OOS tuition, please. I think my level of financial support is good for now. Maybe after our kids graduate, it can be a possibility...but for now, I'm comfortable with my current level of $upport. Will be happy to participate in any fund-raiser events we're invited to (hasn't happened)...but I'm not about to write a separate check right now.
My daughter is at the University of Vermont....big bucks. If I had more money, I'd have season tickets, instead of going to 6 or 7 games a year. Some people, no matter how big of a fan they are, can't afford to donate....And yeah, I'm one of the old fans, but I don't have a voice when I leave the RC. I'm screaming more than many of the students are.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

^Right there with you...old...oppressive tuition bills...no voice left after leaving the RC...and loving every minute of it.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Loved UVM and Burlington is a great place.

Not to bring the Wrath of those who'd color me
as a PC fan for mentioning the truth, but here
goes.
We heard for a long time from their people, how
their fanbase was ancient, and didn't make much noise.
Funny, how three straight NCAAs brought
record attendance to the Dunk.
Again, winning cures all ills.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

BFC wrote:Some on the Rutgers board are saying that both sides are using their media allies to haggle over adding a 7th year to the contract offer. The theory is Hurley is holding out for the 7th year and trying to put pressure on Rutgers by having Zags write the its not a forgone conclusion stuff. And Hobbs (Rutgers AD) is using Steve Politi who has been talking up the other candidates and saying if they don't hear back from Hurley soon, they will move on.
By the way, if Zags really is Hurley's mouthpiece then all of the stuff about Hurley possibly bringing current players and commits with him to Rutgers is infuriating.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

BFC wrote:
BFC wrote:Some on the Rutgers board are saying that both sides are using their media allies to haggle over adding a 7th year to the contract offer. The theory is Hurley is holding out for the 7th year and trying to put pressure on Rutgers by having Zags write the its not a forgone conclusion stuff. And Hobbs (Rutgers AD) is using Steve Politi who has been talking up the other candidates and saying if they don't hear back from Hurley soon, they will move on.
By the way, if Zags really is Hurley's mouthpiece then all of the stuff about Hurley possibly bringing current players and commits with him to Rutgers is infuriating.
? Why would he 'not' do that?
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

For better or worse, kids generally commit to the staff of the school. I am sure they love the campus, etc but they are here to play ball. I would expect to lose 2-4 of the 2016 kids and 1-2 kids on the roster, whether they go to Rutgers or somewhere else. It's the nature of the beast.

Also, quibbling over a 7th year is really stupid from RU's perspective if you really like the guy. You need to give anyone who takes on that task five years and the 6/7th is just the cost of doing business. Sort of like David Price signing with the Sox. You'd love it to be a four year deal but the market is the market.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Penders never took anyone with him.
Skinner never took anyone with him.
Harrick never took anyone with him.
CFL took his son.
Suddenly people here are worried about
Hurley gutting the roster.
So, they can sit out a year for the honor
of playing for shit heel Rutgers?
Like EC Matthews is going to sit out his second year
in a row?
Again, lack of perspective.
These kids have made friends here,
some have girlfriends here.
It's not as if the lure of playing in
Piscataway is so compelling, Dan or no Dan.
The 2016 recruits may be a different matter,
but they all signed LOIs.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
BFC wrote:
? Why would he 'not' do that?
I can think of a lot of reasons to not do it but I don't think its worth getting off track about, let's just say I think its a shitty thing to do and no amount of its the business, everybody does it rationalizations will convince me otherwise.

(I'm also not saying Hurley has done this or will do this, but Zags is talking about it.)
0 x
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

rodfromcranston wrote: Funny, how three straight NCAAs brought
This is all it is - and the athletic department will tell you the same thing. There's nothing inherently different or wrong with our fanbase. We haven't been to the NCAAs in the 21st century! Win and they will come.
0 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

rodfromcranston wrote:Penders never took anyone with him.
Skinner never took anyone with him.
Harrick never took anyone with him.
CFL took his son.
Suddenly people here are worried about
Hurley gutting the roster.
So, they can sit out a year for the honor
of playing for shit heel Rutgers?
Like EC Matthews is going to sit out his second year
in a row?
Again, lack of perspective.
These kids have made friends here,
some have girlfriends here.
It's not as if the lure of playing in
Piscataway is so compelling, Dan or no Dan.
The 2016 recruits may be a different matter,
but they all signed LOIs.
Exactly. I would be utterly shocked if any of the current players (at least the core players) decided to leave if/when Hurley bolts for Rutgers. These kids aren't stupid -they realize what a strong roster we have coming back next year, and they would be foolish to jump ship at this point. Could be a special season regardless of who the head coach is.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

no way he leaves after that dog and pony show last night talking about the future

why tease URI faithful and pull that stunt if he is even considering leaving ?

so please hurley, use this as leverage and get the things you want from URI in terms of bettering the program
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Zags needs to do his research signed NLI is binding....
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

rodfromcranston wrote:Loved UVM and Burlington is a great place.

Not to bring the Wrath of those who'd color me
as a PC fan for mentioning the truth, but here
goes.
We heard for a long time from their people, how
their fanbase was ancient, and didn't make much noise.
Funny, how three straight NCAAs brought
They were terrible in 2010 an drew 8,289 per. They drew 8,614 last year. People enrolling this year at URI have literally not been alive for a NCAA appearance. You need winning plus at least some memories to draw off of in down times.
Last edited by Gonebarongone 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

hrstrat57 wrote:Zags needs to do his research signed NLI is binding....
99% of schools release their players from LOIs in a coaching change. And they should. I am not saying Hurley is the pied piper and everyone follows him. Hell, it could piss EC off so much they don't speak for a while. But, just look at what happens in coaching changes at all schools. Especially in this day and age where transfers are rampant. If he leaves, I suspect we have 3-4 leave (players and recruits total).
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

As a recent graduate still paying student loans AND paying for season tickets there is no way I am going to give URI more money at this point in my life.

Just a thought
0 x