Here We Go Again...

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: Here We Go Again...

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

One thing nobody has brought up is,
Dan was an assistant at Rutgers for a couple
of years.
He knows the facilities and some of the pros
and cons about Rutgers.
Was it a positive experience, of a nightmare like
Seton Hall was?
He did leave Rutgers to coach high school/prep basketball,
so who knows?
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rodfromcranston wrote:One thing nobody has brought up is,
Dan was an assistant at Rutgers for a couple
of years.
He knows the facilities and some of the pros
and cons about Rutgers.
Was it a positive experience, of a nightmare like
Seton Hall was?
He did leave Rutgers to coach high school/prep basketball,
so who knows?
Carr and Cox have also spent time on the Rutgers staff.
0 x
Go Rhody
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

"IF" all his assurances are guaranteed, and it's written contractually, DH is as good as gone. Call him what you will, but there is NO way he turns down RU.

I truly believe, URI will not hire a new coach right away, retain Cox as a interim (see how he does) and go from there. Call it a hunch.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

DC_Rams wrote:"IF" all his assurances are guaranteed, and it's written contractually, DH is as good as gone. Call him what you will, but there is NO way he turns down RU.

I truly believe, URI will not hire a new coach right away, retain Cox as a interim (see how he does) and go from there. Call it a hunch.
People can make these kinds of statements because you will always have deniability: if he doesn't take the job, you will say he didn't get the assurances in writing. Point blank, I think you are wrong about this. If you have insight or a source, feel free to share or at least say you do and let us decide if we believe you or not. But don't try to pass off pure speculation as factual assertion unless you have something to stand behind. I got on rambone about the same thing yesterday, so I need to be fair here.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Hurley did this radio interview this morning, http://920whjj.iheart.com/media/play/26811604/. I guess it could have been a contractual obligation but it would seem strange to do it if his agent is really currently in deep negotiations with Rutgers.
0 x
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

TruePoint wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:"IF" all his assurances are guaranteed, and it's written contractually, DH is as good as gone. Call him what you will, but there is NO way he turns down RU.

People can make these kinds of statements because you will always have deniability: if he doesn't take the job, you will say he didn't get the assurances in writing. Point blank, I think you are wrong about this. If you have insight or a source, feel free to share or at least say you do and let us decide if we believe you or not. But don't try to pass off pure speculation as factual assertion unless you have something to stand behind. I got on rambone about the same thing yesterday, so I need to be fair here.
boom
0 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

There won't be an interim coach for anything
more than the time it would take them
to hire a new coach.
In all the years I've followed the program,
through the many coaching changes, I
don't recall and interim coach being named.
If Dan were to take the Rutgers job,
I'm sure Carr and possibly Cox would follow him there.

TP, about 99% of what's written in this thread, or any
of the Twitter stuff, is pure speculation.
Go read the PC board. They know more about
where Dan is going than any of us.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

TruePoint wrote:

You said there was zero chance he leaves. And zero chance any player would follow him. This is no different than what DC Rams said. Just as "fact as speculation" unless you are on the horn with DH. Please share if you are.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Yesterday's NY Post, Phil Mushnick, had a price on Hurley that basically compared the side line behavior to departed coach Mike Rice.....and description of Hurley alleged incidents with Maryland, Fordham, and Cooley....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

TruePoint wrote:

TP, people make these kinds of statements because they are entitled to believe what they want. I have no sources, just speaking what I "believe" will happen. You are entitled your stance, as I am mine..."point blank". The words used in my post were "IF" and "believe". Never stated anything "factually". I "believe" continuity is key here. Cox and the current staff provide that, especially "IF" we are returning a potential Top 25 caliber roster. "IF" DH leaves, which I believe is highly plausible, and no one is in place as a holdover from the current regime, we potentially risk doing more harm than good not keeping a stop gap in place.
Last edited by DC_Rams 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

BFC wrote:Hurley did this radio interview this morning, http://920whjj.iheart.com/media/play/26811604/. I guess it could have been a contractual obligation but it would seem strange to do it if his agent is really currently in deep negotiations with Rutgers.
And there's a coaches show tonight at George's.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Gonebarongone wrote:
TruePoint wrote:

You said there was zero chance he leaves. And zero chance any player would follow him. This is no different than what DC Rams said. Just as "fact as speculation" unless you are on the horn with DH. Please share if you are.
BOOM!
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Penders suggesting Bobby Gonzo for RU on Twitter
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Is Penders drunk tweeting again?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Billyboy78 wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:
Is that a good argument that there is zero percent chance that he takes the job?
People can put together arguments all they like for why Dan may go to Rutgers now, but I stand by my statement.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote:
TruePoint wrote:

TP, people make these kinds of statements because they are entitled to believe what they want. I have no sources, just speaking what I "believe" will happen. You are entitled your stance, as I am mine..."point blank". The words used in my post were "IF" and "believe". Never stated anything "factually". I "believe" continuity is key here. Cox the current staff provide that, especially "IF" we are returning a potential Top 25 caliber roster. "IF" DH leaves, which I believe is highly plausible, and no one is in place as a holdover from the current regime, we potentially risk doing more harm than good not keeping a stop gap in place.
I was specifically pointing to you saying that he is as good as gone if he gets the contractual assurances he wants. Maybe I am being nit-picky here, but those kinds of statements need to qualified with a "IMO" or "I think" or "speculating here, but..." Because some people do drop information here sometimes, and I don't know if everyone who reads this board is always careful about parsing information from speculation. What you said about getting assurances in writing from Rutgers could be read as a scoop, and a big one at that. Where you said that you "believe" URI would keep Cox on as an interim coach is exactly the right way to present your opinion. I might not agree with that, either, but at least nobody is mistaking it for breaking news.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

More Jersey media for those who cannot get enough.

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Gonebarongone wrote:
TruePoint wrote:

You said there was zero chance he leaves.
I did? Care to quote me?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

This is precious:

0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Gonebarongone wrote:
TruePoint wrote:

You said there was zero chance he leaves.
That was me. Zero chance.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

TruePoint wrote:
I did? Care to quote me?
TruePoint
Post subject: Re: Here We Go Again... Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:13 am

Replies: 419
Views: 9290

... roster. First of all, we are talking like this might actually happen even though it likely won't. But if Dan left, and that is a HUGE if, there is zero chance any core players - who are all upperclassmen - are following him to a team that has absolutely no chance of being competitive before their ...

The zero chance he leaves might have been your homeboy, ATP. If so, I was wrong. Still, there is no difference between what you said here and what DC said. You both qualified phrases with an if and proceeded to guarantee no player defections.
0 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

ATPTourFan wrote:This is precious:

Haha!! That's priceless. Where in the world did you find that?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

TP, I agree with you, in that this is all speculation.

When something like this happens, people's thoughts are all over the board.

People can read the same stuff, and take it differently.

It's human nature. We're all different.

The only thing I'd like to know, is Dan himself really in talks with Rutgers?

If so, there's a chance he leaves.

Even if there's a show tonight, I doubt he's going to say much about it.

But he needs to be ready to be asked a lot of questions. Maybe he'll put the whole thing to rest tonight?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Dear God, take this down before another team's sign guy can get a hold of it!
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Gonebarongone wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
I did? Care to quote me?
TruePoint

... roster. First of all, we are talking like this might actually happen even though it likely won't. But if Dan left, and that is a HUGE if, there is zero chance any core players - who are all upperclassmen - are following him to a team that has absolutely no chance of being competitive before their ...

The zero chance he leaves might have been your homeboy, ATP. If so, I was wrong. Still, there is no difference between what you said here and what DC said. You both qualified phrases with an if and proceeded to guarantee no player defections.
Thanks for the back up.

Again, I am not responsible for how people may or may not perceive what I type. We are all adults, and chances are if we are typing on a message board, the chances of us being "extremely" credible sources are pretty damn low. I apologize if you "believed" I have inside info, but I am here to "clarify"...I have NONE.

I am only speaking from a human nature perspective. "IF" a job in your hometown backed the $$$ truck up, and promised you moons and oceans, speculation would lead anyone to believe one would take the gig.
Last edited by DC_Rams 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RR2, ha ha good one!!!!

A little preppy perhaps?
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

rambone 78 wrote:TP, I agree with you, in that this is all speculation.

But he needs to be ready to be asked a lot of questions. Maybe he'll put the whole thing to rest tonight?
If talks are serious, I would think the show would be cancelled at some point today.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

BFC wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:TP, I agree with you, in that this is all speculation.

If talks are serious, I would think the show would be cancelled at some point today.
I agree. A canary in the coal mine.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Nobody brings up Ace? Is she at the negotiating table?

It is interesting to me how the media in NJ are covering DH to Rutgers.

When you say #1 target it means they are determined to hire the guy. It would be a bad look for the Rutgers brass to have it reported their #1 guy said no.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
I did? Care to quote me?
TruePoint

Thanks for the back up.

Again, I am not responsible for how people may or may not perceive what I type. We are all adults, and chances are if we are typing on a message board, the chances of us being "extremely" credible sources are pretty damn low. I apologize if you "believed" I have inside info, but I am here to "clarify"...I have NONE.
OK, this seems like it is kind of a petty thing that isn't all that relevant to the rest of the discussion, but just to put an end cap on this from my perspective, if I say no players are leaving the team that is a testable hypothesis. If ATP says the coach isn't leaving, that is testable. What I specifically didn't like about the original post here was the untestable idea that if he gets certain things in writing he is gone. It leaves too much wiggle room to say later that the only reason he didn't leave is that he didn't get those things in writing, and there is absolutely no way to know whether that is true or not. That was the crux of my beef with what was said.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I don't want to go so far as to say he wouldn't be a stand up guy, but I would be pretty disappointed if he left before Hassan, EC, Jarvis, and Jared graduated or got to the tournament. All those guys came in here for him when we were a dumpster fire, I do think he should get them to graduation or the NCAA's before leaving them after their commitment.

Nature of the job says, if you leave this one for another one...you will be 'leaving' someone....

If you were in the same spot, and your wife, father, and everyone else in your family wanted you to take, say $12M-ish and all that goes with it...what would you do?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

TP, Get some fresh air bro, it's not that serious. Seriously. Moving on....
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The coach show will go on, if no announcement is made to cancel it by about 3 pm.

Have to call it that far out since some may be traveling a while to get there....

Common courtesy.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

rambone 78 wrote:The coach show will go on, if no announcement is made to cancel it by about 3 pm.

Have to call it that far out since some may be traveling a while to get there....

Common courtesy.
They could always send an assistant in Hurley's place, and just say something came up.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:RR2, ha ha good one!!!!

A little preppy perhaps?
Thanks. It's not even the preppy part, the biggest thing is someone can put whatever text in that box they want. Disaster!
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Is it required that all Rutgers coaches have to carry a sign around? If so, that may be a deal breaker.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I don't believe that, whether or not he shows up at the coach's show will be an indicator of his status.
I think he could show up and leave, or he could just as easily not show up and stay...
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

BFC, I thought of that, but the assistant couldn't say anything either.

That would make it obvious he's considering an offer.

Rioting and looting would ensue. People would overturn the punch bowl.

You would think you're at a Trump rally.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:BFC, I thought of that, but the assistant couldn't say anything either.

That would make it obvious he's considering an offer.

Rioting and looting would ensue. People would overturn the punch bowl.

You would think you're at a Trump rally.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You mean...Bernie would pay people to muck it up?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:I don't want to go so far as to say he wouldn't be a stand up guy, but I would be pretty disappointed if he left before Hassan, EC, Jarvis, and Jared graduated or got to the tournament. All those guys came in here for him when we were a dumpster fire, I do think he should get them to graduation or the NCAA's before leaving them after their commitment.

Nature of the job says, if you leave this one for another one...you will be 'leaving' someone....

If you were in the same spot, and your wife, father, and everyone else in your family wanted you to take, say $12M-ish and all that goes with it...what would you do?
My argument isn't against him leaving at some point. It's against him leaving those four guys before at least one of two life goals happens. When they graduate or get to the NCAA I have no problem at all with Dan moving on, though I wouldn't want him to. If he left now, I would be disappointed, but I'd still give him a standing ovation if and when he came back to URI. It's a pretty mild disappointment, not some blood feud. Plus we don't know that his family wants him to leave. Even if his parents and wife wanted to leave, I'm sure his kids wouldn't like to change schools at this point of their life.

I'd like to think that if I had $6 million coming to me that I would be able to turn down $12 million from a poor career opportunity to fulfill promises I made to people there for me when things were bad and give myself a better opportunity then the one on the table from the $12 million company.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

There's ZERO CHANCE he answers questions on next year's team for an hour if he's close to agreeing with Rutgers. Just kidding, but it would be silly, pointless, and I think unlikely.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Only 2 people that have direct dialogue in the past with Dan have made their opinions known....Zags and Disano. I would base speculations off of their opinion versus some small time Jersey writer who knows as much as some on this board do about what's going on.
Seth Davis said the URI job is better than the Rutgers gig.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

The pic was from that 10 things about Hurley piece on NJ.com.

Did anyone consider that there could be a decision but no public announcement yet? There is a non zero amount of time between big decisions and the public delivery of said decision. Each previous time the Rhody Basketball program was upgraded. I'm willing to wait longer to hear about improvements to my favorite basketball team.

Oh, and listen to BAR
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Seth Davis? Cause he wants it.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I bring up Seth Davis only bc his opinion likely carries more weight with Dan than Peter Alida and his 900 followers.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

As for Dan's picture, I'd remind you of when
Michelle Obama did that.
What followed afterward were some of the funniest meme's anywhere
with all sorts of things written on her note.
Attachments
flotus-bring-back-our-girls.jpg
flotus-bring-back-our-girls.jpg (38.12 KiB) Viewed 1129 times
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Bill continues to bang this drum. I have to say that as much as I like Bill personally, this crusade he is on to antagonize and shame the fan base is unbelievably annoying. And I also don't get it - there is no way he thinks that the Ryan Center is going to sell out for a 17-15 team, no matter what the circumstances are.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I completely agree TP...in a small market, as the team's beat writer, to continually chide and belittle the fan base for the team you cover is mind boggling.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

rodfromcranston wrote:There won't be an interim coach for anything
more than the time it would take them
to hire a new coach.
In all the years I've followed the program,
through the many coaching changes, I
don't recall and interim coach being named.
If Dan were to take the Rutgers job,
I'm sure Carr and possibly Cox would follow him there.

TP, about 99% of what's written in this thread, or any
of the Twitter stuff, is pure speculation.
Go read the PC board. They know more about
where Dan is going than any of us.
When Malone left in the summer genius AD Cochran decided that Al and Jamie would be co-coaches for a year and then he'd decide what to do. The next day the phone rings off the hook. One of the callers was Penders. I agree with Rod; there would never be an interim HC.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:

My argument isn't against him leaving at some point. It's against him leaving those four guys before at least one of two life goals happens. When they graduate or get to the NCAA I have no problem at all with Dan moving on, though I wouldn't want him to. If he left now, I would be disappointed, but I'd still give him a standing ovation if and when he came back to URI. It's a pretty mild disappointment, not some blood feud. Plus we don't know that his family wants him to leave. Even if his parents and wife wanted to leave, I'm sure his kids wouldn't like to change schools at this point of their life.

I'd like to think that if I had $6 million coming to me that I would be able to turn down $12 million from a poor career opportunity to fulfill promises I made to people there for me when things were bad and give myself a better opportunity then the one on the table from the $12 million company.
First, I don't think he leaves, but...to do the job requires a pretty good sized ego and lots of confidence. And, if you have enough of that, you might think you can succeed anywhere.

My point was, it's always going to be 'some' guys....and as much as I also like these 4 guys...not sure why 'these' 4 guys would deserve any more special 'stay until they reach life goals' treatment than if your son was a player there three years from now and the coach decided to leave. I get it would be disappointing and it's not a blood feud, but unless the coach stays forever...someone is always going to be 'left' with an unfulfilled promise...it's unavoidable.

I agree that we have no idea if his family wants him to leave or not...but, IF my wife wanted me to go...that would be a huge factor. One can assume - but we also don't know - his kids don't want to move and change schools, but.... If my dad said to me, 'I'm taking on a new gig at double the salary, we're moving back to Grandpa's neck of the woods, plus I'm buying you a BMW to replace that Dodge..' thinking that wouldn't be the worst thing ever...
0 x