Here We Go Again...

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Here We Go Again...

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I'm the one who said zero percent chance he goes to Rutgers.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

TruePoint wrote:Have you read anything I've posted in this thread or are you just popping off without knowing what you're talking about again? I think there are tons of reasons that he wouldn't take the Rutgers job, but people also make bad decisions all the time. I can't pretend to know what is going on in the guy's head, but I do think it is more likely that he stays than goes. Doesn't mean I think it is impossible that he could go. Anything is possible.
He old, so he know. You wouldn't know.
He might be the funniest caricature of doom ever...
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

CT, TP is right about one thing:

Nobody here really knows what's going on.

I'm sure there are some that do, but they don't reside on this board.

It really does seem though, that there could be a tug of war going on in DH's mind.

It's going to be close, whether he stays or goes.

208, I am become DOOM, the destroyer of worlds...... :o :shock: :lol:
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:CT, TP is right about one thing:

Nobody here really knows what's going on.

I'm sure there are some that do, but they don't reside on this board.

It really does seem though, that there could be a tug of war going on in DH's mind.

It's going to be close, whether he stays or goes.

208, I am become DOOM, the destroyer of worlds...... :o :shock: :lol:
LOL...you are! But it'll be win win for you regardless...
If he stays and they succeed - "he 'changed', like I said he should, finally got the message"
If he stays and they don't succeed - 'it's the same as ever...nothing changes, it's 'on him'"

If he leaves and they succeed - 'see, I knew he was the problem'
If he leaves and they don't succeed - "he screwed us"...

...it's a perfect set up :lol:
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Read Disano's tweet. He doesn't speculate, that's not his MO.

0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

208, It would be nice if I was Mr. Happy instead.

Maybe I would, if things were different. But they aren't.

You see, the world needs a balance. For every "seashells and balloons" type, there needs to be a Dark Side outlook, and I'm glad I've been selected to do just that!

I'll be taking donations soon, so feel free to help! Thank you, thank you, thank you.....

bar, he really wants Dan to stay. I would expect he would.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:208, It would be nice if I was Mr. Happy instead.

You see, the world needs a balance. For every "seashells and balloons" type, there needs to be a Dark Side outlook, and I'm glad I've been selected to do just that!

I'll be taking donations soon, so feel free to help! Thank you, thank you, thank you.....

Well, I guess if your lens is set to 'filter for things that suck'...I get it.
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

CT Rhody wrote:Interesting reading the Rutgers board, seems like 50% of the fans don't even want him, they want the GW coach. Dan 100% of our fans want you so there's that!

Rutgers reached out in sat to get permission to speak with Dan. Two days into negotiations now. Should know more early this week I would assume. How he leaves EC is beyond me after what he went through this year and the leap of faith EC took in committing to his program here.
Kind of makes you wonder what future Hurley recruits might think if he is perceived as a constant job hopper. They might be thinking "should I commit to this program and will be commit to me if this guy is just gonna take a new job in a year or two?"
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

1019, If Dan goes to Rutgers, his career will either flourish or fail there.

He'll be throwing all his eggs in one basket.

He also knows that if he stays here and doesn't get it done, where else is he going to go? He also risks getting fired down the road. End up as a TV analyst or something.

Will he take the money and run?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Bone, u don't get it...shocker.
He wouldn't tweet speculation. He never does.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Explain it to me, then. He obviously thinks that Dan would be making a mistake by leaving here....

He doesn't know the answer yet, either.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Explain it to me, then. He obviously thinks that Dan would be making a mistake by leaving here....

He doesn't know the answer yet, either.
Just find the 'angle that sucks' and ride it like always...why change now?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

You weren't selected to anything. You choose to be doombone, a caricature of a neurotic and frantic basketball fan. People who don't always think certain doom is around every corner aren't "seashells and balloons" types (and that isn't even a thing). Some people just like to collect all the relevant information and let the facts lead them to their conclusions. Very few of the people who chide your tired act would hesitate or hold their tongue if they had negative opinions. When ATP explains why he doesn't think Hurley will leave, he gives you the reasons why. When you disagree, you pretend to live inside the coach's head. GBG has at least bothered to lay out a fair counterargument to the assumption that Hurley will stay. I recognize that argument as valid, I just don't find it persuasive.

My expectation is and has been that Hurley will stay, although I admit to not having any insight to his thinking and am not guaranteeing anything. I do think that reading the tea leaves in the tweets tonight from DiSano and Zagoria makes me feel more comfortable in my belief, as nobody has better insight than those two guys.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Wait...you mean..."I've been following this since they used peach baskets, therefore, I know (and no further explanation is necessary)".... is NOT a 'valid argument'?
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

ATPTourFan wrote:I'm the one who said zero percent chance he goes to Rutgers.

I agree with ATP...

I don't see him leaving..

We'll find out soon enough if Dan truly is a stand up guy as he portrays

I believe he is
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Dan may stay, but the "zero chance he's leaving" statement isn't true, if he is indeed talking to Rutgers.....

Today or tomorrow, we should know.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

So, if Dan leaves he's not a "stand-up guy"? I'm not even that huge a fan of DH, but that is just a dumb statement. If RU, throws $12M at the guy, I can't blame him for going. If he believes he can turn RU, then by all means he should go for it. Imagine "IF" he pulled it off....the offers would be astronomical. Any HC has to be head strong and be able to believe strongly in their own abilities...
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

So, the several reports that Dan is "in talks" with Rutgers are false?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy, Dan has an agent, agents are "talking" to potential buyers every day...that is their job. Doesn't take much for Hobbs to lob in a call to his agent, and that to constitute "in talks"....if i hear the words "are negotiating" then i am concerned.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

I don't see why Rutgers is the place where nobody will ever be able to win...any coach who goes there, boy that's just suicide...

They have it all over Kingston. Charter flights, big-time football, home games every year with the best teams in the country, some of the best high school kids playing in your backyard, multi-million dollar salary, big-time pay for assistants. We have none of that. He may hate losing, but they're sweet-talking him into about $20 million reasons to take on a huge task, and frankly, I don't see him saying no. I've been wrong before, but we'll see about this one.

Not sure it makes him any less of a stand-up guy. I just hope that if he leaves, we don't have to go through another 4 or 5 year period of having only 6 or 8 players on our roster who are ready to play at the D-I level. I can't take this crap anymore.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

You can't blame Dan if that kind of money is offered.
Any of us would jump at the chance to double out income.
From what I'm hearing, there are some major perks
being dangled under his nose, too.
Supposedly, the Rutgers President has assured him of
their renewed commitment to basketball.
Hope Dan gets it all in writing, LOL!

"Rutgers is continuing their pursuit to hire Rhode Island’s Dan Hurley as their new head coach, and have received permission to speak with him according to NJ.com.

Rutgers athletic director Patrick Hobbs is said to be ready to step up spending for the basketball program with a competitive Big 10 salary for coaches, private jets for recruiting, expanded staff positions and revamped practice facilities all on the checklist." - Hoops 247
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

DC_Rams wrote:So, if Dan leaves he's not a "stand-up guy"? I'm not even that huge a fan of DH, but that is just a dumb statement. If RU, throws $12M at the guy, I can't blame him for going. If he believes he can turn RU, then by all means he should go for it. Imagine "IF" he pulled it off....the offers would be astronomical. Any HC has to be head strong and be able to believe strongly in their own abilities...

ok; I understand what you are saying and agree on the 12m

for once I would like to see a guy be faithful to his players

I get it; I live in la-la land

this entire thing disgusts me

if dan leaves, then once again, a setback for rhody hoops
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Maybe just me, but I think Rutgers is out of their mind if they throw the Kitchen sink at Dan Hurley.

Like would you give a say top 6 in the Big10 budget to Dan Hurley tomorrow? He hasn't actually had the results in 6 years.

Maryland finished in the top6 tied for 4th? If I am reading their standings correctly. URI didn't sniff Maryland.

Look at Nebraska. Is Rutgers throwing big money to DH to start a Nebraska rivalry? They finished 4 from the bottom.

I like Dan and hope he stays. I also think it is foolish for Rutgers to go all-in on DH. URI cant give the CFL title. If DH leaves URI will be fine.

I personally dont think DH's perceived success has been in spite of URI.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I don't want to go so far as to say he wouldn't be a stand up guy, but I would be pretty disappointed if he left before Hassan, EC, Jarvis, and Jared graduated or got to the tournament. All those guys came in here for him when we were a dumpster fire, I do think he should get them to graduation or the NCAA's before leaving them after their commitment.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I don't want to go so far as to say he wouldn't be a stand up guy, but I would be pretty disappointed if he left before Hassan, EC, Jarvis, and Jared graduated or got to the tournament. All those guys came in here for him when we were a dumpster fire, I do think he should get them to graduation or the NCAA's before leaving them after their commitment.
Kids leave coaches for the NBA. If EC was healthy this year and put up a season that got him into the lottery, he would be gone. Kids leave as transfers. As grad transfers. The chance of a coach and player both making it four years together in today's game has to be less than 25%. That's why you commit to a school/program/conference you like. That being said, DH does seem like a stand up guy. I bet it's probably the one thing (if anything) that holds him back.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I don't want to go so far as to say he wouldn't be a stand up guy, but I would be pretty disappointed if he left before Hassan, EC, Jarvis, and Jared graduated or got to the tournament. All those guys came in here for him when we were a dumpster fire, I do think he should get them to graduation or the NCAA's before leaving them after their commitment.
Leaving those guys right before they were about to do great things here would be the only thing that could reflect bad on his character.

I just listened to that cbs podcast with Gary Parrish and some other guy, talking about the prospect of Dan taking the Rutgers job. They think it would be as bad a move as any one here does. They trashed Rutgers and they don't think he would ever be able to be better than the middle of the pack at Rutgers. They were even saying that Tom Izzo couldn't turn them into a top Big Ten team.
Where as if he stays here he can compete for an A-10 championship every year.
If you haven't listened to that podcast, you should give it one of your ears because it made me feel a little safer if some pretty good media guys think it would be a terrible move. I've never heard someone in the media be that against a coach in making a move like that.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

I sometimes wonder if DH doesn't resent the negative talk about NJ and the potential in NJ.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Soviet tank factory...... Ha ha ha yep!!!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ATPTourFan wrote:
Is that a good argument that there is zero percent chance that he takes the job?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well, if it's true they have permission to talk to Dan, means that they will probably offer him.

Something tells me this board will be a busy place the next couple of days.....

57, I liked that line too.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I don't agree with that article for many reasons. Most of them have already been stated several times on here. But also, he's got things backwards. For Rutgers to improve they have to improve their facilities to a Big 10 level, not wait for success then improve the facilities.

Also, one other thing I haven't seen mentioned. Eddie Jordan is a former player at the university with an NBA career as a player and head coach and he was spit out in three years. If they wouldn't give a guy like that job security and time considering he was inheriting a nuked out program jumping to the Big 10, how much time would they give Hurley? Would they give him adequate time? It doesn't feel like it, and if I was Hurley that would be a massive issue in accepting the job.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NJ03
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NJ03 »

There will be a day when Dan Hurley leaves URI for a bigger school in a better conference. But that day is not today and that school is not Rutgers. Dan has spent 4 years gutting out a URI program and finally putting a core in place that's primed for a run. Now he's going to leave to try to do the same thing at Rutgers and let another coach come in here and enjoy to fruits of his labor? How much punishment can the guy take? Don't see it happening. Wait til he brings URI to a tourney and maybe wins a game or two. That's when REAL job offers will start coming in. The one's that we can't compete with. Who knows how much longer Villanova stays with Jay Wright if he keeps disappointing in March. Or Maryland with Turgeon. Etc. But he's not going to Rutgers no matter how many people in this state think it's "the perfect match".
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

That "dishonor" comment by Dan makes it seem like he's not interested, but when was that comment made?

If it was before he was contacted by Rutgers, then why would he speculate on it?

If it was after, then he's not going anywhere.
0 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

What's interesting is that if you read the comments underneath some of the articles being referenced here, most Rutgers fans sound like they don't even want Hurley. They cite his maniacal sideline behavior and constant berating of refs as the primary factors, with some also mentioning his unimpressive resume to this point. I guess the lingering effects of the Mike Rice era are making certain fans apprehensive on hiring such an emotionally-charged coach.
Last edited by NJRhodyFan 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

We have all been through this before and it isn't always about the guy leaving, it is about the guy you bring in afterwards. If the stories are true then Dan would have to be crazy not to take the job, in his and his wife's home state. I hope he stays but wouldn't blame him one bit.

the good news is this program is in pretty good shape for the next guy.
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Rhodyhooopz wrote:We have all been through this before and it isn't always about the guy leaving, it is about the guy you bring in afterwards. If the stories are true then Dan would have to be crazy not to take the job, in his and his wife's home state. I hope he stays but wouldn't blame him one bit.

I agree with this. Obviously, you need the right guy. And maybe his skill set is better at this stage than what DH needed four years ago. Almost in the same way Buck Showalter was able to build teams from the ashes but it took a different type to take them over the top. My big concern would be guys leaving. That's wild conjecture and several steps down the road but coaching change almost always involves losing kids, especially recruits.
0 x
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

I just hope if he goes we dont lose our key players. Personally havent seen anything from DH that makes me think he's an exceptional Xs and Os coach. However, there is no question that he has stocked the cupboard like we havent seen in decades. If you were to tell me DH goes to Rutgers and all of our players/recruits stay committed, I would sign up for that any day so we dont have to hear this every year. However that's not whats going to happen and I really dont want to see a team that was just about to get over the hump go back to square one.
0 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Gonebarongone wrote:
Rhodyhooopz wrote:We have all been through this before and it isn't always about the guy leaving, it is about the guy you bring in afterwards. If the stories are true then Dan would have to be crazy not to take the job, in his and his wife's home state. I hope he stays but wouldn't blame him one bit.

I agree with this. Obviously, you need the right guy. And maybe his skill set is better at this stage than what DH needed four years ago. Almost in the same way Buck Showalter was able to build teams from the ashes but it took a different type to take them over the top. My big concern would be guys leaving. That's wild conjecture and several steps down the road but coaching change almost always involves losing kids, especially recruits.
Same. Recruits and current players leaving is by far my biggest concern about all of this.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

There is a coaches show sked for tonite. Yes/no?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Maybe I'm being naive, but do the current core players really want to transfer and sit out a year when they're on the cusp of doing something special at URI next season? Recruits are a completely different story, and I wouldn't be surprised if some (or all) request an NLI release in the event Hurley bolts for Rutgers. Just not so sure about the players currently on the roster.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I'm sitting hear laughing that when this was happening with St Johns last year, people on this board were saying Hurley would stay for the next TWENTY YEARS, almost guaranteeing it.

I wouldn't blame him if he went. More money, power conference, in his home state.

Now if the on court product is his main priority, then obviously staying is the right call.

We'll find out soon enough.
0 x
Go Rhody
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

rhodysurf wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:

Same. Recruits and current players leaving is by far my biggest concern about all of this.
+1
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

If Murphy is coach players stay....recruits? Maybe not. We will need to dip into the 5th year senior and juco bucket.

We will be ok!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

I think there is Hurley fatigue in some people here. Others continue to carry the flag loudly.

I'm not sure PM cant be better than DH. PM has serious assistant experience that is much better than DH's ever was.

Dan coached Wagner and then coached here. Didn't do much learning. I am not big on the high school experience.
0 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Rhody15 wrote:I'm sitting hear laughing that when this was happening with St Johns last year, people on this board were saying Hurley would stay for the next TWENTY YEARS, almost guaranteeing it.

I wouldn't blame him if he went. More money, power conference, in his home state.

Now if the on court product is his main priority, then obviously staying is the right call.

We'll find out soon enough.
Really? Maybe I'm mistaken, but most people on this board appeared to be following the same mantra which is that Hurley would stay for a few years, get URI into the tournament a couple of times and then accept a job at a true power school once the inevitable offers rolled in. I don't recall anyone saying that Hurley would be CFL 2.0.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Politi makes the case for Dan going to Rutgers that has been made here by a few different posters over the last several days. I am not going to be dismissive of it, as it is plausible (at least to me, but I know nothing) that Hurley ends up deciding along those lines. I just don't find it all that compelling in the face of the argument against him taking the job, and it is certainly not a "no-brainer."

The argument against him taking the job is mainly built around the relative quality of the two programs in the near term. URI is poised to have back-to-back top-25-type teams, whereas Rutgers is poised to be on fire over the same period. There are peripheral questions about money, but it isn't like Dan is making 250k here and getting into the 1.5-2M range would be life-changing for him.

The argument for him taking the job is mainly built around a question: what if URI doesn't win in the next year or two and the Hurley star fizzles out? I guess there are other questions that would influence what argument you and, more importantly, Dan would buy. And only Hurley really knows the answers:

- Does Hurley believe enough in what he is building here to bet on himself?

- Which scenario is more likely, since we can't see into the future? Hurley takes this loaded roster to a tournament next year, and probably the year after, or he turns around a Rutgers program that is for all intents and purposes DOA right now?

- What are Hurley's long-term career goals? Does he want to build URI into a regional power until he is eventually courted by a national program, a la Shaka at VCU? Does he want to be the coach at Maryland or Syracuse or Florida or something? Or does he ultimately want to be in NJ and be the guy that makes Rutgers a serious basketball program and stay there for life and have the gym named after him? Because it seems like it is one or the other. If he wants to end up at Rutgers eventually, why would he wait any longer (additional thoughts on this below)? And if he wants to try to be a hall of fame coach and compete for national championships some day, why would he go to Rutgers now? What are the degrees of difficulty for each scenario?

- How badly does Dan want to be in NJ? It is really hard to speculate on this. The assumption from people in NJ seems to be that he belongs to and in New Jersey, and that it is inevitable that he will end up back there eventually. Maybe that is true. He certainly doesn't go around RI talking about how much he missed NJ, but why would he even if he did?

- I know that it is naive on some level, but how much of an itch is it for him to see this thing through at Rhode Island? Because he is right on the cusp of finishing the on-court part of rebuilding the program (the off-court part has largely been accomplished). How much does he personally - mentally, emotionally, spiritually - need a 25-5, conference-winning, nationally-ranked season which will lead to him being the national "it" guy among coaches, and the fun and sense of accomplishment that comes along with that, and how hard would it be for him to forego that to start over from scratch again at Rutgers? How hard will it be for him to look EC, Hassan, JT and JG in the eye and tell them he is leaving them for Rutgers (Rutgers!)? All of this is typically only the province of naive fans, and coaches are only looking at it as a job - and when it comes to your job compensation generally matters most. But at a human level this is still something he has to reckon with.

- Tying into the first point, above, does Dan think he can get the Rutgers job whenever he wants? In my mind, that Rutgers job will be available every 3-4 years into perpetuity. And Dan will never do poorly enough here that he can't get that Rutgers job with his name cache in NJ. I know that is my read on it. Why cash out your career chips now when you can always get the Rutgers job at any point you want it for the next 20 years? It would be like wasting a first round pick on a guy who will likely still be on the board in the 4th round.

So I can't say how Dan views any one of those questions, so I can't say for sure what I think he will do. I have strong suspicions of how he feels about each one, which lead me to a strong suspicion of what he will decide. But time will tell.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

NJRhodyFan wrote:Maybe I'm being naive, but do the current core players really want to transfer and sit out a year when they're on the cusp of doing something special at URI next season? Recruits are a completely different story, and I wouldn't be surprised if some (or all) request an NLI release in the event Hurley bolts for Rutgers. Just not so sure about the players currently on the roster.
First of all, we are talking like this might actually happen even though it likely won't. But if Dan left, and that is a HUGE if, there is zero chance any core players - who are all upperclassmen - are following him to a team that has absolutely no chance of being competitive before their eligibility expires. These guys are going to play in the NCAA tournament here next year for a program they had a hand in saving from ruin, barring another catastrophic thing happening. They're going to forego that to sit around for a year before getting their crap pushed in in the B1G until their careers are over? LOLNO
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

The coaches show is still on tonight, FWIW.
0 x
Go Rhody
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

TruePoint wrote:Politi makes the case for Dan going to Rutgers that has been made here by a few different posters over the last several days. I am not going to be dismissive of it, as it is plausible (at least to me, but I know nothing) that Hurley ends up deciding along those lines. I just don't find it all that compelling in the face of the argument against him taking the job, and it is certainly not a "no-brainer."

The argument against him taking the job is mainly built around the relative quality of the two programs in the near term. URI is poised to have back-to-back top-25-type teams, whereas Rutgers is poised to be on fire over the same period. There are peripheral questions about money, but it isn't like Dan is making 250k here and getting into the 1.5-2M range would be life-changing for him.

The argument for him taking the job is mainly built around a question: what if URI doesn't win in the next year or two and the Hurley star fizzles out? I guess there are other questions that would influence what argument you and, more importantly, Dan would buy. And only Hurley really knows the answers:

- Does Hurley believe enough in what he is building here to bet on himself?

- Which scenario is more likely, since we can't see into the future? Hurley takes this loaded roster to a tournament next year, and probably the year after, or he turns around a Rutgers program that is for all intents and purposes DOA right now?

- What are Hurley's long-term career goals? Does he want to build URI into a regional power until he is eventually courted by a national program, a la Shaka at VCU? Does he want to be the coach at Maryland or Syracuse or Florida or something? Or does he ultimately want to be in NJ and be the guy that makes Rutgers a serious basketball program and stay there for life and have the gym named after him? Because it seems like it is one or the other. If he wants to go to Rutgers at any point in his life, why would he wait any longer? And if he wants to try to be a hall of fame coach and compete for national championships some day, why would he go to Rutgers now?

- How badly does Dan want to be in NJ? It is really hard to speculate on this. The assumption from people in NJ seems to be that he belongs to and in New Jersey, and that it is inevitable that he will end up back there eventually. Maybe that is true. He certainly doesn't go around RI talking about how much he missed NJ, but why would he even if he did?

- I know that it is naive on some level, but how much of an itch is it for him to see this thing through at Rhode Island? Because he is right on the cusp of finishing the on-court part of rebuilding the program (the off-court part has been largely been accomplished). How much does he personally - mentally, emotionally, spiritually - need a 25-5, conference-winning, nationally-ranked season which will lead to him being the national "it" guy among coaches, and the fun and sense of accomplishment that comes along with that, and how hard would it be for him to forego that to start over from scratch again at Rutgers? How hard will it be for him to look EC, Hassan, JT and JG in the eye and tell them he is leaving them for Rutgers (Rutgers!)? All of this is typically only the province of naive fans, and coaches are only looking at it as a job - and when it comes to your job compensation generally matters most. But at a human level this is still something he has to reckon with.

- Tying into the first point, above, does Dan think he can get the Rutgers job whenever he wants? In my mind, that Rutgers job will be available every 3-4 years into perpetuity. And Dan will never do poorly enough here that he can't get that Rutgers job with his name cache in NJ. I know that is my read on it. Why cash out your career chips now when you can always get the Rutgers job at any point you want it for the next 20 years? It would be like wasting a first round pick on a guy who will likely still be on the board in the 4th round.

So I can't say how Dan views any one of those questions, so I can't say for sure what I think he will do. I have strong suspicions of how he feels about each one, which lead me to a strong suspicion of what he will decide. But time will tell.
I especially agree with your point re: the Rutgers job being available to Dan every few years. You can throw Seton Hall and St. Johns into that bucket as well, if and when those positions become available. The Hurley name carries an incredible amount of weight in the NJ/NY area, so the aforementioned opportunities will always be there. Once he leaves URI, I'd have to believe he's setting his sights much higher. But in order to do that, he needs to WIN and get tournament credits, which is exactly what the next few years at URI could provide.
0 x