Here We Go Again...

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Re: Here We Go Again...

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

gorhody89 wrote:I would be very surprised and disappointed if Hurley left. Want to see him finish what he started, what he has built here...however my much bigger concern would be players and or recruits leaving with Hurley. With the team we have and recruits coming in we will be fine next year with a competent coach.
+1
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Some PC guy thinks we should hire Bob Walsh
of Maine.
He has an 11-48 record.
Yeah, right.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

Clues grew up in New York and for what it's worth has said repeatedly he doesn't want another job other than St. John's I believe. I'd rather have Preston than him. His teams play a weird style game I'm not sure would work in the a10. That St. John's job will be open soon. Mullin looks like he has no idea how to coach. He just sits there. They are not even close to being competitive. It's like watching jerry d. A good coach would at least have them in games but instead they walk onto the floor knowing they are going to lose by 20. They are going to miss Lavin. All that being said I think Hurley stays. All these rumors are good for him. His agent probably calls him everyday to remind him not to say he is staying yet.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

ATPTourFan wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:So, ATP, you're saying there is zero percent chance he leaves? Then let's delete this thread. What's the point of discussing?
I would say zero chance for Rutgers. I've made my point by point case why it would be a very bad short and long term move for Coah Hurley.

Instead of asking if the thread should be deleted, why not challenge the points I made? That's what the thread is for, in my opinion.
You can have 100 more reasons if you want (they are all valid) but downplaying money, conference, and home dismiss about the last 50 years of coaching change history. It's easy to say he has made millions but he probably doesn't have millions. Waving 2mm per year in his face is nice. Then he thinks about flying into Indiana, Michigan, etc. instead of bus trips to Fordham. Then, of course, home is home. It's why Bear Bryant went back to Alabama. Look at Alabama's record before he got there and look at the team he left. Again, there are a zillion reasons to stay. All good ones. But you at least have to acknowledge the other side of the argument.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Dan learned a lot about choosing a new job when he came to Kingston. He has already shown he can turn around programs. What people want to see is that next step. He can do that immediately here. He could be stalling or even sinking his career in the graveyard of coaches, Rutgers.

The lure of winning is strongest with Dan. He's done with rebuilding jobs, especially if it's to be at a place where nobody could ever do it. Next career step is to take his program to the Dance and win games. Everyone should be able to see how that would be a much better career move for a coach with a future. He is not some desperate guy trying to get another shot at a head coach job.

Rutgers will get someone desperate.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Hypothetically, what if he has another bad luck year? What if he doesn't make the tournament with a healthy team? There are no guarantees in life as we have seen. Somebody guaranteeing 12 million bucks is something 99.9% of us haven't had to turn down.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yup, but what if he goes to Rutgers, makes tons of money, and never does any better than the Scarlet Knights? I would guess Dan Hurley would be very upset about years of losing seasons or just-over-500 seasons with no career advancement and only additional attention to his struggles.

There are far more unknowns at Rutgers beyond the paycheck. Being a B1G also-ran is not Dan's style. What would he say at the podium upon taking the job down there? I want to make this a championship caliber program? HA! No way those words could be said without cracking a chuckle.
0 x
El Diablo
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by El Diablo »

Check out @JPPelzman's Tweet:
Check out @NJHoopsHaven's Tweet:
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

We know how this works from prior years. Dan is silent and listens to offers. It's in his best interest to understand the market. Then he decides what's best for his career and family.

Hint: Rhode Island
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

^ Wild to read stuff like that after reading here all season about how inept he is... :lol: :lol:
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

ATPTourFan wrote:Yup, but what if he goes to Rutgers, makes tons of money, and never does any better than the Scarlet Knights? I would guess Dan Hurley would be very upset about years of losing seasons or just-over-500 seasons with no career advancement and only additional attention to his struggles.

There are far more unknowns at Rutgers beyond the paycheck. Being a B1G also-ran is not Dan's style. What would he say at the podium upon taking the job down there? I want to make this a championship caliber program? HA! No way those words could be said without cracking a chuckle.
I actually think you are right just don't think it can be dismissed. The devil's advocate says DH might be pretty confident that he'll get a Rhody level job if he fails at Rutgers. But he might not get a P5 job if he fails to meet next year's high expectations.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

This guy is excited to have his jersey readership increase if Hurley makes Rutgers readable.

0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

I agree with ATP very much. But who knows what's in anyone's mind? I like Dan, but at this point he is not a great coach. He is a work in progress. Yes he may become one, but not yet. Has recruited well here. The program is in decent shape now where we should be able to attract a good coach if he does leave. I would rather he stay and some stability, but I'm not nearly as concerned as I would have been a couple of years ago. And who needs to go through this every single year. Plus his antics and temperament are somewhat of a question . Not sure why anyone with a chance of really doing something would be interested in Rutgers. I guess if he could ever pull that one off, he would be a,NJ legend.But we'll see.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:^ Wild to read stuff like that after reading here all season about how inept he is... :lol: :lol:
Except everyone here has pretty much agreed they still want Dan to be our coach...

As I said before and others have said, it'd be a pretty shortsighted decision to go to Rutgers but if Hurley truly believes he'd be able to turn the Rutgers program around then it's a better job than being at URI. If Dan was to go to Rutgers and fail to bring them to a NCAA tournament then I think he'd be in a tough position. Three schools and no tournament appearances would put him back in the position of having to coach a team like Wagner if he could even get a head coaching job.

As others have said no one truly knows what's going on inside Dan's head. If he honestly believes he can turn the Rutgers program around then I think anything can happen. Although I personally think it'd be rather arrogant of Hurley to leave URI for Rutgers because there's better coaches than Hurley out there who probably wouldn't touch the Rutgers job because they know how tough it will be to win there.
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

ace wrote:Leaving to go anywhere could not be more of a non-issue. There's a better chance I start at center next year for the Rams.
I trust Ace on this.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Ugh!
If he stays, great!
If he goes, he goes.
He'll do whatever he feels is best for him.
I have no problem either way.
With the buyout clause in his contract, URI
will be in great shape to lure a good coach.
Dan has put the program in the position of being
far more desirable than when he got here.
Thorr and Dooley have shown a willingness to make
a commitment to basketball.
IF Dan leaves, then we can discuss the merits of
who should be his successor.
Meanwhile, writing giant posts about Tim Cluess or
whoever, is pointless.
Ace doesn't know what Rutgers is offering or what the situation is.
If agent and Rutgers are talking, there is interest, obviously.
If not, why would there be talks?
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Hoosiers: "Coach stays"
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:Ugh!
If he stays, great!
If he goes, he goes.
He'll do whatever he feels is best for him.
I have no problem either way.
With the buyout clause in his contract, URI
will be in great shape to lure a good coach.
Dan has put the program in the position of being
far more desirable than when he got here.
Thorr and Dooley have shown a willingness to make
a commitment to basketball.
IF Dan leaves, then we can discuss the merits of
who should be his successor.
Meanwhile, writing giant posts about Tim Cluess or
whoever, is pointless.
Ace doesn't know what Rutgers is offering or what the situation is.
If agent and Rutgers are talking, there is interest, obviously.
If not, why would there be talks?
Mark it down...I agree with Rod. No one knows any of the details, it will be interesting to see what DH thinks is best for DH and family.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Yes agree too. If he goes, he goes, whatever. If he stays great. My days of worrying about a coach staying or leaving Kingston are over.
0 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

If Hurley takes the Rutgers job, it's for the money and no other reason. And who am I to judge someone for chasing the almighty dollar? It's his life and his family, not mine. But for an ultra-competitive guy like Hurley, I'm really finding it hard to believe that he would accept that job knowing that he'll need to endure several more losing seasons before there's light at the end of the tunnel. Rutgers is a complete dumpster fire. I would argue it's the worst head coaching job of all the P5 schools, and for good reason. Terrible facilities, terrible location, no fan base, no history...depressing situation to say the least. And I don't care how good of a recruiter you are, convincing any decent recruit to spend the next few years of their basketball career in New Brunswick, NJ is an extremely tough sell.

And let me preface this by saying that I do hope Hurley stays and finishes what he started at URI, but maybe I'm in the minority by stating that I wouldn't be too broken up if he bolts this year. The program is in much better shape than it was a few years ago thanks to the efforts put forth by both Hurley and the URI administration. But as much as Hurley has proven to be an excellent motivator and seems to get the most of his players, his in-game coaching skills and decision-making leaves something to be desired at times. Maybe because I was made to believe he was the second coming of Coach K, so my expectations have been distorted from the get-go, but I don't think it's the end of the world if we move onto a new coach next year. If nothing else, we wouldn't have to deal with this offseason drama every year. Will he stay, will he go, will he stay, will he go...it's beyond tiresome. I would love to see someone like Preston get a shot at the head coaching job, but I guess we'll cross that bridge if/when we come to it.
Last edited by NJRhodyFan 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

One problem if Dan leaves is what happens to the recruits? All that depth we've been talking about. Do some or all decommit? Will we be scrambling to fill out a roster again? I'd hate to see EC and Hassan's careers here go to waste because once again, we have no depth, especially for the bigs.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I didn't want to get into possible successors,
but there is one guy who'd love the job and
knows most of the players, and who
would keep ARD on as his assistant.
He's also very highly regarded by Thorr and almost
everyone else at URI.
EC,Terrell,and Garrett all recruited by him.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I think Rod has it pretty much nailed. ATP's points for why Dan would stay are right, but who is to say a guy can't make a bad decision. It happens all the time.

Billyboy, I don't want to get too far ahead of ourselves here, because I still expect him to stay. But if he doesn't, ARD will presumably stay on staff here like Preston did during the last change. All of our recruits have signed letters of intent, and while it is customary not to hold a recruit hostage in the event of a coaching change, I would hope that we would not release anyone from their LOI until we have had a chance to talk to them and let whoever the next coach would be re-recruit them.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rodfromcranston wrote:I didn't want to get into possible successors,
everyone else at URI.
While he is an alum and has many ties to the players, he also has no experience running a college basketball program and would be a big gamble.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:One problem if Dan leaves is what happens to the recruits? All that depth we've been talking about. Do some or all decommit? Will we be scrambling to fill out a roster again? I'd hate to see EC and Hassan's careers here go to waste because once again, we have no depth, especially for the bigs.

Seems it would be a good contest thread to 'name the scholarship players that will be available when conference play starts next year?' Or, did someone already suggest that?
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

RF1 wrote:
everyone else at URI.
While he is an alum and has many ties to the players, he also has no experience running a college basketball program and would be a big gamble.
Tom Penders will be special asst to help organize practice and game plan....no brainer
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
giovanni
Carlton Owens

RF1 wrote:
everyone else at URI.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......is there a coaches show Monday?.....George's?......if there is, could be interesting....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:One problem if Dan leaves is what happens to the recruits? All that depth we've been talking about. Do some or all decommit? Will we be scrambling to fill out a roster again? I'd hate to see EC and Hassan's careers here go to waste because once again, we have no depth, especially for the bigs.

Seems it would be a good contest thread to 'name the scholarship players that will be available when conference play starts next year?' Or, did someone already suggest that?
If you want it done do it.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

everyone else at URI.
Wow. Tough, tough call. Some (a lot) of very good reasons for him to get the job but part of me would want a coach who has actually been 1. a head coach and/or 2. a coach who has been on the bench of a team that has been to the NCAAs. Would be a big gamble to hand him this roster (assuming everyone stays). You would have to pony up for a legit staff.
0 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

First couple of Hurley's years here was all rebuilding and recruiting for the future, not much to say about that. Last year Hurley exceeded expectations. This year was supposed to be 'the year' but the team was absolutely plagued by injuries, something completely out of Hurley's control. Most people can agree that Hurley did decent this season considering how destroyed our roster was, again, something out of his control. Hurley's recruiting abilities are significantly better than recent years, and next year will truly be the gauge of Hurley coaching abilities. I'm really surprised that people are talking about replacing him.... I can't be the only one who is impressed by what he's done in his time here ...?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Absolutely, GBG.
This is where an older former head coach in
the George Blaney mold would help greatly.
URI brought in Jeff Jones to help the idiot
Jerry D, but Jerry knew all the answers,
and Jones was the biggest waste of brainpower
ever.
Tom Penders? Would he be able to say, just coach
at home. Don't know his health condition.
He only took 4 schools to the NCAAs.
Preston played for Al Skinner, and Jim Harrick,
and was on a staff with Ed Cooley.
He's a very bright guy. Not sure how his media skills are,
but geez, could they be worse than CFL's or Jerry D's?
This likely all is a moot point.
I did tell Preston at the end of my conversation with him,
"I hope you come back here some day."
His answer was a wink and, "You know it!"
We both knew what was unsaid.

Joe, we're only talking about IF Hurley leaves.
It's natural to think about who his successor might be.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Joe wrote:First couple of Hurley's years here was all rebuilding and recruiting for the future, not much to say about that. Last year Hurley exceeded expectations. This year was supposed to be 'the year' but the team was absolutely plagued by injuries, something completely out of Hurley's control. Most people can agree that Hurley did decent this season considering how destroyed our roster was, again, something out of his control. Hurley's recruiting abilities are significantly better than recent years, and next year will truly be the gauge of Hurley coaching abilities. I'm really surprised that people are talking about replacing him.... I can't be the only one who is impressed by what he's done in his time here ...?

If he goes...there will obviously need to be a replacement...which is excellent fodder for board chatter.
You aren't the only one impressed. I think what he's done here has been quite impressive.
Also think he has great upside and hope he stays for a long long time, but if he doesn't, he doesn't.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Didn't we learn anything from the Jerry D episode. I can remember the boosters chanting Jerry D... Jerry D..... He could really recruit and had support from that AAU honcho who said "we won't let Jerry D fail". How did that work out!!
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Hurley has a son who will be a senior this coming year at Hendricken. It would be unfair to his son to have to switch schools his senior year. No way he leaves. No way he abandons EC. Not happening but I agree this is tiresome to go through every year.
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

Much different situation. That was a guy who never played basketball and was essentially a street agent. Who rode odom for half his life. If you had a 5 minute conversation with him you would know immediately he wasn't suited to coach a Rhode Island high school team. I mean he allegedly didn't even know the plays. Preston Murphy as rod said played for some great coaches. Had a great career. Had well over a 3.0 gpa as a finance major and is somebody that anybody we are recruitings mom would love to have coach them. They could not be more opposite. So..if the time were to come that would be my choice. And if things work out it could be like martelli at st. Joes or all those other programs that actually have a long time coach and do well.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I think it's insulting to compare Jerry D to
Preston Murphy.
Jerry D was a high school coach and had just
two years as an assistant.
He wasn't even the top assistant to Harrick.
The only reason he was here in the first place as
an assistant, and eventually Head Coach was,
his link to Lamar Odom.
His ability to recruit beyond Lamar was a myth.
Jerry D also never played the game.
Preston also played pro ball for years in Europe.
Murphy has 8 years at BC,URI, and Creighton.
He is highly thought of and not just in AAU circles.
He was URI's Associate Head Coach.
Again, comparing PMurph to Jerry D is asinine.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

So, some Jersey people are claiming that Dan and Rutgers are already in talks. Has this been confirmed or is this just some wishful thinking from them?
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
DeanDome88 wrote:I'm interested in this development but not worried about it. Dan is a good coach but not yet a great one and I am not sure he ever will get there.
And, he may be a NJ 'legend'...but we may not see RU in the top half of that conference in our lifetimes...
If Coach Hurley decides to leave, well, let's just hope that a Jim Harrick Redux doesn't happen. While I have the greatest "respect" for what Hurley has rebuilt here, let's also get one thing straight: His father is a LIVING LEGEND BASKETBALL HALL-OF-FAMER, Bobby is a college legend, and Dan is an appendage, who is the unfortunate piece in The Hurley World Jigsaw Puzzle of the public's perception of: Where does he fit?, but let's make him great no matter what.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

bressler3south wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
DeanDome88 wrote:I'm interested in this development but not worried about it. Dan is a good coach but not yet a great one and I am not sure he ever will get there.
And, he may be a NJ 'legend'...but we may not see RU in the top half of that conference in our lifetimes...
If Coach Hurley decides to leave, well, let's just hope that a Jim Harrick Redux doesn't happen. While I have the greatest "respect" for what Hurley has rebuilt here, let's also get one thing straight: His father is a LIVING LEGEND BASKETBALL HALL-OF-FAMER, Bobby is a college legend, and Dan is an appendage, who is the unfortunate piece in The Hurley World Jigsaw Puzzle of the public's perception of: Where does he fit?, but let's make him great no matter what.
I stand corrected...DH name is NJ legend...that that seems to be enough for the state u of nj, doesn't make him one.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

You keep reading things into posts that are not there. I wasn't comparing Jerry D to PM. I was making a reference to the fact that I was told at the time that URI would never again hire another guy who did not have some head coaching experience at the D1 level.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I agree with this. As much as we all like PM, he needs to cut his teeth first at some small school. As Hurley has witnessed, the A10 is not some mid major conference.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

I also agree. Like Preston personally very much, but first of all let's see who else is out there. Preston was a little more attractive when programs within a total shambles. Now we are in much better shape to attract that our names. At least more experienced.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Is Rutgers his dream job because of it's location? If the answer is no, then he should stay. He will get better offers eventually.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

Would love to see PM the head coach of URI....after he has a head coaching track record somewhere else first.
We all love the guy and he can certainly recruit well, but I don't want this program to be the ginuea pig with anything else.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

if Hurley were to leave, would URI look to Olean again? Some of the logic being applied to the Hurley to Rutgers situation would apply with SBU head coach Mark Schmidt. He would nearly double his salary and be coming back "home" as he was born in Providence and grew up in the border town of North Attleborough (its western edge abuts Cumberland). He already has a proven track record at the A-10 level having won the tournament one year and most likely gotten an at large bid this season. He wins a lot of close games. I don't know of any A-10 rule that you can't hire another member's coaches. It is also not like the league does a lot for URI so that it has to think of the A-10's best interest.
Last edited by RF1 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I'm sure whoever told you we'd never hire another
assistant coach is long gone and hard to find.
This is 2016, not 2002.

No more Bonnie's coaches, thanks. I don't care if he
was born in Kingston. He's a Baron clone.
We hired CFL and we're in the same conference.
Nothing has changed.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

You cannot compare Schmidt to Baron. Schmidt is a hell of a coach.
0 x