Game 29: @ Dayton, Feb 27, noon ESPN2

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: Game 29: @ Dayton, Feb 27, noon ESPN2

Unread post by section(105) »

Feels all right in Rhody land......nice job players.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
KMar970
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KMar970 »

Great win
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Great job by the Rams!
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Great effort! No quit in this team! Real proud to be a ram fan!
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Go figure! Martin and EC not playing and Garrett playing with a broken jaw and a mask on.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Yeah! Most enjoyable game of the season right there! Even weathering a storm there at the end.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Amazing game. #gorhody
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Incredible!
THIS is the best win under Dan Hurley. Period.
Due to the injury situation and playing
on the road.
Andre Berry! This guy needs to be playing more.
Everyone stepped up today.McGlynn was clutch.
Terrell was rock solid.
Garrett 7 assists and getting whacked again, and staying in the game.
Iverson 6 assists and 6 rebounds.
Watson hung in until the very end.
When Dayton cut it to 8, I was figuring we
might be in trouble.
Nope!
Just pure guts and grit.
Super job by players and staff.
Just an amazing day for Rhody basketball.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Deserved that win. Very fun game to watch! Let's finish the season strong! Go Rhody!
0 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I imagine we'll work on our press break with this new unit. Eek
Besides that a flawless game on both ends.
Most improbable and definitely the best win of Hurley era.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

For those who witnessed the officiating in this game, that is exactly what to expect in every away conference game, with about 4 minutes left we will stop getting calls and the home team will get ticky-tack calls the other way, that's part of the storm that we weathered today. What a game!
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Just an outstanding performance by the remaining IRON SEVEN.
what else is there to say ? Go to Brooklyn with the same attitude
and you never know what might happen. Congrats to all and to
coach Hurley. They all deserved a nice win.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Is this real life?

So effin' happy for the guys.
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

That was FUN!!!!! I'm a Andre Berry fan!

Go Rhody!!
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

What a win for the players and coaches. This season has been some long dark times, but what's bright spot today.

Anybody else think Berry may have earned his roster spot for next year???
0 x
kal-65
Jeff Kent

Unread post by kal-65 »

THE PATS SUPER BOWL AGAINST CHICAGO WAS BERRY THE BEARS--TODAY ITS BERRY THE FLYERS

OFFICIATING IN THE LAST 3 MINUTES SUCKED
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

sf2010 wrote:What a win for the players and coaches. This season has been some long dark times, but what's bright spot today.

I think if he loses 20lbs, he can get Earl Watson's minutes next season. He has showed very good skill in his limited play, would be a better defender 20lbs lighter.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Look at that smile!

Last edited by ace 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Running Ram wrote:For those who witnessed the officiating in this game, that is exactly what to expect in every away conference game, with about 4 minutes left we will stop getting calls and the home team will get ticky-tack calls the other way, that's part of the storm that we weathered today. What a game!
I said the same thing to my wife during the game. I'm not sure it is the home team that gets the calls, but it is definitely the other team. At least where URI is concerned. We fumbled a little at the end but all in all kept our composure and put this baby to bed. Best win in the last 4 years.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

sf2010 wrote:What a win for the players and coaches. This season has been some long dark times, but what's bright spot today.

If you were at the Brown game and saw Berry I don't see how you would have ever doubted Berry's roster spot. Antonio Reynolds Dean was glowing in the post game about Berry's Brown performance. So great to see ARD patting Berry on the head during the game today with a big smile. The bench really was happy for Berry. Got to love how he handles himself and acts humble as if to say "all in a day's work".
He has lost about 50 pounds since coming on board at URI. He is very committed to improving his performance.
Have to credit this Coaching staff for some of his advancement as well.
0 x
HASwatTeam
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HASwatTeam »

Chance to close out the last two games with W's. That giving us 18 wins. If this team goes to Brooklyn and wins two, giving 20 wins for the season, that'd be an outstanding accomplishment. After wins like today, it seems well within the realm of possibility.
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Great win. Offense with the pick and roll that got Berry free was a great coaching move. They were committed to it and it worked out well. Didnt expect this in a hundy
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

After today's win, like to see a large appreciative crowd for senior nite and a loud welcome when Andre Berry enters the game....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ramster wrote:

If you were at the Brown game and saw Berry I don't see how you would have ever doubted Berry's roster spot. Antonio Reynolds Dean was glowing in the post game about Berry's Brown performance. So great to see ARD patting Berry on the head during the game today with a big smile. The bench really was happy for Berry. Got to love how he handles himself and acts humble as if to say "all in a day's work".
He has lost about 50 pounds since coming on board at URI. He is very committed to improving his performance.
Have to credit this Coaching staff for some of his advancement as well.
Berry does. When asked in the post game interview if he was winded, Berry said not really because he works with coach Marshall for about an hour each morning
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

We get a GREAT win without EC and Hassan, and people are STILL bitching about the refs? Can't we just enjoy this win without finding something to complain about?
0 x
Go Rhody
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

This is great for next year. Get the guys playing time they normally would not see. Give them confidence and a good jummping block for next year. If we play the way we did todsy we have a chance to win 2 games in the tourney- a-10 that is
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Could this program have turned that elusive corner today? It's very possible. We beat a highly ranked team, which was at full strength, on the road.

A few observations:
1. They showed how tough they are on national tv. Can't pay for that kind of advertising for a program.
2. Key free throws by 4 and JT down the stretch.
3. Key timeout by Dan really settled them down towards the end.
4. In spite of the problems at the end with the press, we still made some great passes to get across the line.
5. The togetherness of this team was very obvious to everyone watching.
6. It's obvious that aliens have replaced our coach with a calmer look-a-like.
7. And, finally, it has now been proven that EC and Martin have been holding our program back. Lol

It probably belongs in a different thread, but I'm writing in Berry for President.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

The Road Kill tweets from Jarvis and Kuran are everything right now.

You talked before, Scoochie, but you just got blown out on your home court.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Care to share ace? For those of us who are Twitter-less?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

sf2010 wrote:Care to share ace? For those of us who are Twitter-less?
Just some fun between competitors. After their win at URI, Scoochie posted a picture of the team walking off with the hashtag RoadKill.

They returned the favor-

Ok, going to go watch this win again now...
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

My favorite part of watching Berry is how quick he goes up to the hoop when he catches the ball. Especially for such a big dude. He catches and immediately goes up for the lay up. He doesn't catch, look around to see who might be coming, put it on the floor or anything like that. He just goes right up before anybody can even really react. And he makes lay ups!!!
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Frank_Keaney_95
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Frank_Keaney_95 »

Fantastic win today, Rhody!! Very proud of our Rams.

I've had zero expectations for this team since before the VCU game. To say we've been snakebitten is an understatement. This team never quits which is directly attributable to Dan and the coaching staff. Since Dan has toned it down and focused more on teaching, this team has been playing loose and easy. JG & JT have blossomed into seasoned vets while KI (when he can stay on the floor) seems to be settling into a nice role as a swiss army knife, do-everything type of player.

What can I say about Andre Berry? Great instincts and poise offensively. He needs to see at least 20 mins per game from here on out. I've also been very impressed with Nicola these last few games. He played great today and against Davidson. I love him at the top of that zone as a disrupter. He's so long. It seems as though Dan was trying to limit his minutes in the bigger games but has been forced to play him much more recently which is paying off.

I kind of feel like today's win was our postseason. Anything else they accomplish is just gravy.

With a full complement of legitimate rotation players next year, Dan is going to have a tough job balancing minutes and egos. A good problem to have but a tough one nonetheless.

Go Rhody!!
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

adam914 wrote:My favorite part of watching Berry is how quick he goes up to the hoop when he catches the ball. Especially for such a big dude. He catches and immediately goes up for the lay up. He doesn't catch, look around to see who might be coming, put it on the floor or anything like that. He just goes right up before anybody can even really react. And he makes lay ups!!!
With Berry, it's going to be about what he can do defensively (Rams in a zone is what happens now), but you have to love players who work hard being rewarded.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

ace wrote:
adam914 wrote:My favorite part of watching Berry is how quick he goes up to the hoop when he catches the ball. Especially for such a big dude. He catches and immediately goes up for the lay up. He doesn't catch, look around to see who might be coming, put it on the floor or anything like that. He just goes right up before anybody can even really react. And he makes lay ups!!!
With Berry, it's going to be about what he can do defensively (Rams in a zone is what happens now), but you have to love players who work hard being rewarded.
Since we just wacked the most athletic team in the league maybe our defense needs to be reconsidered a bit....
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

WTF in a very good way! Up until the last 2-3 minutes of the game we had great spacing on the floor which led to a lot of great passes for assists due to the fact that we had a lot of good looks. Unbelievable win. Feel great for the players and coaches. Hopefully we continue with the success we had with the pick and roll today. This is exactly what I thought Iverson would have been doing with his passing ability since the season began. To do it with Berry is really something. Let's hope it is the beginning of a new pattern with Hass and Berry next year.
Feels great to be a Ram fan today!!!!!!!!
Four's 3 pointer to put us back up 10 toward the end of the game was the game winner in my mind. It is noteworthy that it was basically from the same spot on the court that Davis won the game with at the Ryan Center
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

I saw Berry at the open scrimmage. Granted Nicola stood out. But you could see the soft hands, and especially his ability to not putting it on the floor. It is to his credit that he continued to work hard even though he didn't get minutes. Kudos, today you were Berry good!
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I unfortunately couldn't watch the game today because I was at RIC watching my niece win a divisional state hoops championship. Her cousin (another niece) accomplished the same at the Ryan Center five years ago. Kept up with the URI score on my phone throughout the game. Had no expectation for a win today. Sounds like our depleted roster really stepped up. Scoring looks to have been incredibly well distributed with five in double digits. Glad for the players and staff after all the heartache of this season. Especially nice that it was done in front of a national tv audience on ESPN. For some reason Rhody plays Dayton real tough and has won more games at UD Arena than most other A-10 squads.
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Awesome win... Team was due for something good to happen.. Finally Hurley plays zone. I have been waiting for this for 4 years. Out of necessity yes, but it worked. There is no way Berry can play man to man for extended periods of time. But he can score on the block unlike anyone else on the roster.. You coach to your players' strengths. If you bring a player like Berry in you let him get some minutes when offense down low is struggling and you play zone while he is in there.. All you need is 10-15 minutes from him. It also gives the other players a blow if they are tired. Mix it up and see what the results are. Now is the perfect time to do it!!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody15 wrote:We get a GREAT win without EC and Hassan, and people are STILL bitching about the refs? Can't we just enjoy this win without finding something to complain about?

LOL...Are you 'newer than me'? Nooooooo! :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ram1980 wrote:Awesome win... Team was due for something good to happen.. Finally Hurley plays zone. I have been waiting for this for 4 years. Out of necessity yes, but it worked. There is no way Berry can play man to man for extended periods of time. But he can score on the block unlike anyone else on the roster.. You coach to your players' strengths. If you bring a player like Berry in you let him get some minutes when offense down low is struggling and you play zone while he is in there.. All you need is 10-15 minutes from him. It also gives the other players a blow if they are tired. Mix it up and see what the results are. Now is the perfect time to do it!!
Totally agree, this was great. Ab should be giving 'how to make a layup" lessons to Earl. Loved that they played some zone...really, going to have to at this point with the limited roster. Even if just to mix it up now and then...
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It was the fifth win over the Flyers at UD Arena for URI. Rhody is now 5-8 vs Dayton there.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ElmCityRhody wrote:You guys realize these announcers are in Bristol, CT.. Correct ?

It appears that they were at the game as they were photographed with Coach Hurley on Friday at UD Arena.

0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Rhody15 wrote:We get a GREAT win without EC and Hassan, and people are STILL bitching about the refs? Can't we just enjoy this win without finding something to complain about?
no one is complaining, did you read our posts, we're impressed that the team maintained composure and weathered the storm, as far as the officiating the point is, it should be an expected part of all away games and an obstacle to be faced and overcome in order to beat good teams and that's what we did in an most impressive way today!
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Craig Robinson analysis was bang on all day
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

Nice win!

One game doesn't define our season. I am happy but understand the implications affect the team's moral, their seeding, and provide a nice feather in the cap to the 2015/2016 schedule. Nothing more. They still won't go to the NCAA's w/o an A-10 championship and with each month that passes my dad's mind slips further and further away from us (his family) and from me.

Time is ticking for me/Dad. Hopefully next year out here in Arizona when the Final Four is being played one of the bands will play the Rhody fight song and I can enjoy one last shining moment in the presence of the best college basketball coach and man I have ever known.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

hrstrat57 wrote:Craig Robinson analysis was bang on all day
I know! After playing and watching this game for over 50 years, I'm glad I finally know that during the game, you're not supposed to try to score points.
0 x
bwerner10
Steve Chubin

Unread post by bwerner10 »

Is Berry not the 2nd coming of Ed Brown? Berry really has showcased a great touch and feel on the offensive side of the ball with limited minutes.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

ElmCityRhody wrote:You guys realize these announcers are in Bristol, CT.. Correct ?
Am I confused?.....during the game there was a sideline live shot, I think, at the game....no?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

ramster wrote:Our best RPI win this season was against Houston with 88 RPI
Now we have our best RPI win of the season against Dayton with 19 RPI on the road no less without Hassan Martin and Christion Thompson!

After every loss our Head Coach and sometimes assistants take a pretty good beating on this board.

After an incredible upset, on the road, most short handed roster all season long me thinks the Coaching Staff deserves the game ball.
Very well played game. This team refuses to quit. Good defense and they played very well as a team today.
Yes. Big quality win with tons of excuses to lose.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund