Game 27: Duquesne Saturday Feb 20, 7:00PM Cox Sports/OSN

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Game 27: Duquesne Saturday Feb 20, 7:00PM Cox Sports/OSN

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote:We won a close game!
I found myself thinking the same thing. Maybe a trend.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......this just in......Jarvis is pretty good, comforting to know he will be the point guard for two more years.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Glad we won. We always play hard and tonight we finished a close game. However, why was Akele in the game with a minute left especially when we were definitely going to get fouled? This was a major mistake and to make it worse we inbounded the ball to him. The ball should have been impounded to Four. Little mistakes like this can cost us a game. We were still sloppy at the end... Four stepping out of bounds...etc. We are still a work in progress finishing games but I was happy to get the W.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:20 wins = NIT bid, no problem.
Not feeling it...
We're not an NIT team right now...we're just not. RPI=120, 0 wins against teams better than us...
Get to the A-10 final? Then let's talk, but not now.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Tom98 wrote:Glad we won. We always play hard and tonight we finished a close game. However, why was Akele in the game with a minute left especially when we were definitely going to get fouled? This was a major mistake and to make it worse we inbounded the ball to him. The ball should have been impounded to Four. Little mistakes like this can cost us a game. We were still sloppy at the end... Four stepping out of bounds...etc. We are still a work in progress finishing games but I was happy to get the W.
I kind of agree that it was weird Akele was in the game, but saying that the ball should have been inbounded to Four....obviously, and obviously Duquesne knew that. They did a good job defensively to force us to throw it in to our safety valve on the play. That play wasn't designed to get Akele the ball, he was the only option because they left him uncovered to help elsewhere and force the ball out of our best shooters' hands.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I went to the game and watched two teams that are going nowhere competing hard. I found my mind wandering about where URI is going next year as much as whether we won a meaningless game. Some thoughts.
1, This freshman class is the worst of the last three.
1a DH really needed to recruit a new big man to replace Gil.
1b. KI (transfer) will never develop until he makes a major effort in the weight room.
1c. CT and NA showed promise at times but neither was dependable. Freshman!
2. DH wasn't going to waste program time developing an offense for a 1 year grad student.
3. JG and JT are finally showing the potential we saw last season.
3a. Too much of the offense was shouldered by JG who would have been more effective with EC active.
3b. JT took too long to get started this season, but now he's got it going.
4. HM got little help from other starters inside and struggled when URI was attacked inside.
5. DH needs to show better leadership when faced with adversity.
6. I'm not a fan of DH's coaching staff but DH may not be the type better assistants will work for.
7. This was a young team led by sophomores and it showed.
8. Maturity of returnees plus EC will offset loss of 4M and EW.
9. New players will provide better depth everywhere but inside, requiring HM not to be aggressive.
10. Lack of balance is a major problem going forward.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Solid Win.

I enjoy a calmer hopefully better D Hurley on the sidelines.

Let's win the next four.

GO RHODY!
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

hrstrat57 wrote:Bucknell, ASU, Richmond, Illinois, Vanderbilt, Stanford, Charleston Southern and Alabama all were in the 2015 bracket with 19 wins or less....but let's not let facts get in the way with our negativity.

You first need to understand the facts.

The NIT is now run by the NCAA and it selects teams in a process similar to the NCAA Tournament. Records (both wins AND losses), RPI, and who you beat are all factors in picking at large teams.

Bucknell and Charleston Southern made the NIT via an automatic bid as they were league regular season champions that did not advance through their tournament to the NCAA. The other teams, which were at large selections, all had RPI ratings better than 90.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Nati ... Tournament
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

100-105 RPI is all that's needed for an A-10 team to sneak into the NIT with an 8 seed.

GO RHODY!
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

brady1 wrote:100-105 RPI is all that's needed for an A-10 team to sneak into the NIT with an 8 seed.

GO RHODY!

Please quantify this statement with fact since the NCAA took over management of the NIT.

Teams from high profile conferences such as Seton Hall, Minnesota, and Tennessee all finished in the 100-105 RPI range and were not invited to the NIT last season. Even teams such as Cal and South Carolina which had RPI's in the 90's were also left out of the NIT.

The NIT is a much different animal than it used to be. It reduced its field from 48 to 32 and added the auto bids for conference regular season champs that failed to make the NCAA. This has very much reduced the at large pool from what it used to be. As a point of reference, there were 12 automatic bids for the 2015 NIT meaning just 20 at large candidates got invited.

URI is currently 15-12 with an RPI of 126 and no virtually no signature wins. It's chances at an NIT invite this year are an extreme longshot. It would need an incredible run to finish the season which is very much out of character just to get into consideration.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Nati ... Tournament
Last edited by RF1 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

RF, let me help you all those teams had horrendous conference records 5-12 type stuff and finished .500 overall or one game above .500 overall. Any a-10 team with a 105 RPI is going to be .500 or above in conference and 2-3 games above .500 overall getting that A-10 team a 8 seed in the NIT.

GO RHODY!
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

brady1 wrote:RF, let me help you all those teams had horrendous conference records 5-12 type stuff and finished .500 overall or one game above .500 overall. Any a-10 team with a 105 RPI is going to be .500 or above in conference and 2-3 games above .500 overall getting that A-10 team a 8 seed in the NIT.

GO RHODY!
A-10 member Richmond had a record of 18-14 on Selection Sunday and an RPI of about 90 in 2013 and was not invited to the NIT.

I give up trying to convince you further. Keep dreaming and ignoring reality.

Last edited by RF1 8 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

There's no way Rhody is one of the first 20 teams left out of the NCAA.
No chance!
We're not even on the board.
RPI needs to be top 60-70.
We're not going to the NIT unless we win 6 out of the next 7 games.
There's a chance our 7th game isn't played until November.
In fact, if you could bet on such a thing, it would be better than even money.
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

OK RF I'll temper my enthusiasm. 90-95 RPI gets an a-10 team an 8 seed. NIT TALK SUNDAY MORNING. SHOOT ME!

Just WIN THE A-10 TOURNEY! Now that should send BONE into a frenzy.

GO RHODY!
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Let's get the 19 wins first ......

I can't see a way past Virginia Commonwealth in the A10 tourney even with my rosy blue glasses...
Last edited by hrstrat57 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

OK I'll take one more bite for giggles and I'm talking about an anonymous A-10 team here.

Some last year NIT teams

AZ ST- RPI 90 record 18-16
Vanderbilt- RPI 88 record 20-14

To think you need a 60-70 RPI to make the NIT is REDONKULESS!

I'm off to church to pray for the RAMS a 90 RPI and a NIT CHAMPIONSHIP!

GO RHODY!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Anyone here taking the bus to Fordham? Or, otherwise going to the game?
0 x
kal-65
Jeff Kent

Unread post by kal-65 »

WE ARE 8TH IN THE A-10 RPI STANDINGS,WITH 6 TEAMS UNDER RPI OF 70.

THE CHANCES OF A NIT BID ARE ZERO & NONE WOULD PROBABLY SEE A CBI INVITE

RR WE DID BEAT HOUSTON WHOSE RPI IS BETTER THAN US
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

OK Brady. How do you get an 8 seed in the NIT?

By being a conference champ in a lower [maybe much lower] league and losing in your conference tourney.

There are usually close to a dozen teams that lose that way.

The lowest seed an NIT team can get, is usually about a 6. Like was just said, that leaves only about 20 at large spots open.

No chance we get one of those, unless we win at least 3 out of 4 to end the season, and win a minimum of 2 games in NY.

Our RPI would then probably would be in the 80's, which might be good enough, or maybe not.

We simply don't have the depth to do that imo. It's CBI or stay home.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

kal-65 wrote:WE ARE 8TH IN THE A-10 RPI STANDINGS,WITH 6 TEAMS UNDER RPI OF 70.

THE CHANCES OF A NIT BID ARE ZERO & NONE WOULD PROBABLY SEE A CBI INVITE

RR WE DID BEAT HOUSTON WHOSE RPI IS BETTER THAN US
Well THAT changes things...
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If we had a sub 90 RPI and a couple of wins against good teams, then we might have a shot at the NIT.

Since we don't, we won't.

Ahhhh....the CBI. If JB was still here, and we ended up with 19 wins after NY, you can bet we'd accept a CBI invite.....another meaningless 20 win season.....ahhhh...........

If Dan were to accept a CBI invite, I would guess he'd have to pay for it out of his own pocket, just like Baron did......didn't we "draw" about 1000 at the RC for the last one?
0 x
URIFIJI
Kenny Green

Unread post by URIFIJI »

Can someone explain how Hass only gets one rebound?????
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

What a beautiful Sunday mornin' in the Keaney Blue 'hood....sun shining, unbelievably mild temps for Feb in New England, win in a close game last night, rambone painting as dark a picture of the immediate future as possible, making sure everyone remains sufficiently depressed, pessimistic...

Does it get any better than this?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:What a beautiful Sunday mornin' in the Keaney Blue 'hood....sun shining, unbelievably mild temps for Feb in New England, win in a close game last night, rambone painting as dark a picture of the immediate future as possible, making sure everyone remains sufficiently depressed, pessimistic...

Does it get any better than this?
It appears that it is even better for those that are still in dream mode not having yet fully awoken this morning.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

^ EXACTLY. And those people need to be beaten over the head with the broom of doom before they get a chance to get all crazy and enjoy their day. Somebody, please...get on that....
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RF1, yeah some just don't like the state of affairs....

It's amazing what telling the truth does to some people.

And I'm not really being negative either! It's clear this team isn't an NIT team. So what?

To some, winning a close game against a bottom half of the league team [at home too] is cause for whooping it up like we actually won something.

Hey this team tries like hell. They play and fight hard. They are doing the best they can. It's not good enough this year, but I at least appreciate what they are giving us.

The time to judge will come next season. That's the way it's most likely going to play out.

208, RF1's post was about YOU being in la la land......you don't get these things, do you?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Totally agree with those that say NIT is out of the question.

RF1 has provided the empirical evidence from recent seasons. We also have tools today that can help us understand what our RPI might be if we beat UMass, Davidson (don't laugh), Fordham, and lose to Dayton.
Then we beat a team like LaSalle, then beat Joes and lose to Dayton in the semis, we end up with RPI of about 86, with a 20-14 record.

We can all agree that may be the best possible outcome for this team, and that barely puts us into the RPI fringes as one of the last at-larges.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:If we had a sub 90 RPI and a couple of wins against good teams, then we might have a shot at the NIT.

Since we don't, we won't.

Ahhhh....the CBI. If JB was still here, and we ended up with 19 wins after NY, you can bet we'd accept a CBI invite.....another meaningless 20 win season.....ahhhh...........

If Dan were to accept a CBI invite, I would guess he'd have to pay for it out of his own pocket, just like Baron did......didn't we "draw" about 1000 at the RC for the last one?
Baron is not here....who cares what he did or didn't do...let it go

Last year zero teams from the A10 went to the CBI. Nobody is going to the CBI from the A10.

It's Play well enough here on out to gain NIT or go home. 2 choices only.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Post-game interview with Terrell and post-game show with Abu Bakr and Eric Frede courtesy of CoxHub.

http://www.coxhub.com/articles/rhody-ge ... r-duquesne
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ATP, maybe there is a scenario that gets us an NIT bid.

Talk about optimism! I'm going to one-up the sunshiners here!

If we were to finish with 19 or 20 wins, maybe the NIT committee will factor in all the injuries we've had this season.

You know, Hassan, KI, Jarvis et all. Maybe even EC's?

We are in almost every game we play, even with those injuries.

We've lost several games due to those injuries. Even factor in just 2 or 3, and we're NIT material.

They [the NIT] can do whatever they want. Again, it could depend on how we finish, but maybe it's not totally out of the realm of possibility?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

9. New players will provide better depth everywhere but inside, requiring HM not to be aggressive.

Like death and taxes, can rely on an unfounded random comments from this guy. 72, you do realize we recruited 3 bigs for next year and 1 PG that likely wont see a ton of time because of depth in the back court. But hey, just fire away with dumb commentary its part of your brand.

Best developments of this season by far have been the improvements of JG and JT, really starting with A10 play. A big knock on JT was his ability to finish in traffic and score through contact, he has shown marked improvement there over his last 8-10 games. JG has been a star in A10 play, his lone blemish this year are a couple of badly timed missed FTs and questionable decisions but all in all especially for a Soph he has been stellar.

As I mentioned before, anyone who wants to question DHs ability in talent development should compare JG and JT to Cartwright and Lindsey. Similar rankings, and PCs guys aren't asked to do as much as our two, but from a development standpoint Jarvis and Jared are light years ahead.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Sure win the rest of the games puts them at 19-12. Win 3 games in A 10 tourney to finish at
22- 13 with a close loss in the final. That would probably get them in the NIT, but it isn't likely
to happen unfortunately.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

We win a game and Rod is absent--YEA. We can do without his negativism.
BAR--talent development--come on as you know per Rod Cooley leads the USA in that category.............
Sorry guys but this post will guarantee his return.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Hey the bitch slapping pussy is back!
I didn't see the game.
South Carolina and Marco Rubio had my
time and full attention.
We beat shitty Duquesne by two points. BFD!
Go shit in a hat.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Eli, our fan base is too small for infighting and singling out folks who buy tickets, attend games and support the program. Rod is one of those. If you want to pick on trolls or those that are here for ulterior motive fire away, there are a couple of those that come to mind but that's not Rod. We don't all have to agree but posters that are true fans, regardless of their POV on the program, should not be run off. Go attack the one trick pony troll who has never attended a game.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

bigappleram wrote:Eli, our fan base is too small for infighting and singling out folks who buy tickets, attend games and support the program. Rod is one of those. If you want to pick on trolls or those that are here for ulterior motive fire away, there are a couple of those that come to mind but that's not Rod. We don't all have to agree but posters that are true fans, regardless of their POV on the program, should not be run off. Go attack the one trick pony troll who has never attended a game.
+1
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:ATP, maybe there is a scenario that gets us an NIT bid.

Talk about optimism! I'm going to one-up the sunshiners here!

If we were to finish with 19 or 20 wins, maybe the NIT committee will factor in all the injuries we've had this season.

You know, Hassan, KI, Jarvis et all. Maybe even EC's?

We are in almost every game we play, even with those injuries.

We've lost several games due to those injuries. Even factor in just 2 or 3, and we're NIT material.

They [the NIT] can do whatever they want. Again, it could depend on how we finish, but maybe it's not totally out of the realm of possibility?
Rambo...the ultimate hedger...they can't do this they can't do that, they suck, they can't, no way no how and anyone that thinks so is delusional...except for, well...maybe there is a way.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Have to keep you on your toes..... :P
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Have to keep you on your toes..... :P

You crack me up...at least, at the end of the day...you were right! :P
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody72 wrote:9. New players will provide better depth everywhere but inside, requiring HM not to be aggressive.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

TruePoint wrote:
Rhody72 wrote:9. New players will provide better depth everywhere but inside, requiring HM not to be aggressive.
I guess our new 6"10", 6'9" and 6"8" guys are going to back up Jarvis.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

He got what he wanted. A response from his idiotic post.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Anyway, it was a fun game. I've been focusing on individual players more lately since Wsand Ls are beside the point now. JGis a lot of fun. Nice crowd. Strange to people filling the exits with a three point lead.
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Bone get what your saying that if a team sneaks in 90-88 RPI as in Az St and Vanderbilt last year you're 6 seed because the 7 and 8's are weak conference champs with high RPI's. Wow way more NIT stuff than I ever wanted to know. So it looks like Rhody would need 3-1 regular season finish and two wins in the A-10. Also kal-65 has a good pt the A-10 gets probably only 3 teams to Nit. So A-10 4 teams dance makes 90 less RPI good possibility to make. Only 3 A-10 teams Dance a team like Richmond makes run 90 better RPI but needs Davidson to fall back.

Now I haven't heard one fan say URI is going to go on that type of streak. But it's comical how many Rhody fans yearly think you need a 5 seed resume to make the Dance and it seems like this mentality carries to making the NIT. Thank God for RPI Forcast.

I did see some things I liked last night. Love Hurleys new coaching demeanor believe it keeps him more into game and players. Hass FT form is excellent and JG hit a key 1 and 1.

Also I bet no one would guess RPI Forcast gives URI a 35% chance of finishing the regular season 3-1 or better. How ya like them apples.

GO RHODY!
0 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

Billyboy78 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
I guess our new 6"10", 6'9" and 6"8" guys are going to back up Jarvis.

I assume he meant that Hass wouldn't have to be as aggressive and foul as much? If not, then those brain cells are never growing back.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If we want to have any chance of making the NIT, we have to beat Davidson Tuesday imo. Dayton at their place? Even without Pollard, that's really a stretch.

It's tough when they barely have enough players to play 5 on 5 in practice. And 3 of them are walk ons!
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

eli#10 wrote:We win a game and Rod is absent--YEA. We can do without his negativism.
BAR--talent development--come on as you know per Rod Cooley leads the USA in that category.............
Sorry guys but this post will guarantee his return.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_8aDvzwElY
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Funny Bressler
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I would like to see a Iverson break out game. Or a post-concussion breakout game before Brooklyn.

It would be valuable for this team to get some more experience in Brooklyn by winning some games. Playing for a trophy.

Obviously JT/JG/HM continuing what they have been doing.

Then a strong finish to the season for CT.

Then next year there will be a strong bunch with good experience.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

ATPTourFan wrote:Funny Bressler
Thank you, ATP.
Trying to keep it clean and sane.
Yes, the air is fresher out here.
Fresh fruit, too.
0 x