Coaching Additions

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
URIFIJI
Kenny Green

Coaching Additions

Unread post by URIFIJI »

Howie Dickeman is retiring from Central CT after this year. IMO - this is the type of coach we need in late game situations. UCONN longtime assistant. I think this is the type of guy we need to have in those late game play calling situations. This kind of guy wants to continue to coach on some level. I think he is getting forced out and would be ripe for the URI gig.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Coaching Additions

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I will say I'm finally thankful that someone is proposing an actual name instead of just saying we need to hire a coaching guru, and if he's been at Central CT we could probably make the money work. My only question now then is, what coach do you want to get rid of to make him fit?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Can we even hire a 4th assistant?

If not, who would go if DH did bring in someone?

Some of us have been calling for an experienced hand when it comes to offense and late game situations.

Whether it happens, is anybody's guess.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

He can take my spot on Keaney Blue.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Just asking..... He has been there awhile, correct?.....what is it in his resume that stands out?.....Why being forced out?......this name doesn't get me excited.....I doubt any assistant, on the Hurley bench is gonna have any role in late game situational basketball......plus yes, we anticipate openings?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I had mentioned Penders, but I doubt it would work......he probably wants to stay retired....
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Dickenman will be 70 before next season starts. Pure speculation, but maybe he's not interested in another job.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Funny, Howie was a guy mentioned for our job, when
Jerry D was fired.
He's taken his school to three NCAAs, the 'last one 2006-07.
Program seems to have fallen on hard times since,
with only one winning season after their NCAA one.
I'm not getting into if, how, or when he'd fit in here.
Last time I did that about a possible incoming coach,
I was accused of trying to get someone fired.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
URIFIJI
Kenny Green

Unread post by URIFIJI »

Only reason I brought this up - is he was next to Jim Calhoun for 10+ years. Solid fundamentals and knows the game - doesnt want to be "the guy". Yes he is getting up there in age......George Blaney...he never did anything as a head coach but he was there for 2 national championships.
0 x
Rhodekill
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodekill »

from what I have seen in the close games that we end up losing it has been a failure of the players to execute in the last 90 seconds of the game...most of the times the opportunity is there and they just do not get it done...I don't think another coach changes that...missed key free throws and blown layups and dumb turnovers are what have cost us....
IMHO
0 x
"What happens next is going to be big and it's going to be beautiful "
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Agree.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rhodekill, that's a big part of it, but also they need to stop playing the dreaded weave and play more aggressive half court offense late in games.

Too many times we have guys standing around and forced to chuck up a bad shot at the last second.

Too easy for our opponents to defend that.

Those are plays being called from the bench. Coaching fail.

That's not going to get it done. It's tougher to execute plays when the other team knows what's coming.

Our players need to do what they do best. Not what they don't do well.

Here's a thought. Have JG either call or change plays at the end of games. Have confidence in your PG's ability to run or make a play.

Might be hard to get Dan to do that, since he's used to calling just about every play. Might be time for it though.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodekill wrote:from what I have seen in the close games that we end up losing it has been a failure of the players to execute in the last 90 seconds of the game...most of the times the opportunity is there and they just do not get it done...I don't think another coach changes that...missed key free throws and blown layups and dumb turnovers are what have cost us....
IMHO
agree
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It's tougher to execute plays when the opponent knows what's coming. Like I just said.

We do the same things at the end of games, and expect a different result?

I'm going to the end of the season coach's shows at the Mews, and I'm going to ask Dan that question.

Rod say he likes the tough questions.

Well he's going to get that one for sure. Will be interesting to get his response.

He won't get mad. He's seen me a few times.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhodekill wrote:from what I have seen in the close games that we end up losing it has been a failure of the players to execute in the last 90 seconds of the game...most of the times the opportunity is there and they just do not get it done...I don't think another coach changes that...missed key free throws and blown layups and dumb turnovers are what have cost us....
IMHO
Listen, you do not know your audience, do you?
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Here we go again.

You guys believe what you want. I'll believe what I want.

It's a combination of poor execution and poor coaching moves.

IN MY OPINION.

Does it mean I'm right? No.

Does it mean you're right? No.

Guess who's going to eventually take the fall if this continues?

THE COACH.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

TruePoint wrote:
IMHO
Listen, you do not know your audience, do you?
I mean, Jesus Mary, if you guys don't think that's an area for improvement or just want to blame execution, I don't even know what to say. Dribble...dribble....weave..weave...high ball screen....heave. That's the end game offense (and a lot of the full game).

For the record, I said Al Skinner (look at his offensive efficiency numbers as HC). The guy turned out a 2x Big East POY and an ACC POY. He slummed it at Emerson and now at Kennesaw State. You can't tell me that he wouldn't have been interested. I just don't see DH as a guy who wants someone with actual chops on his staff. I just don't. Get guys he can be the alpha dog around.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:It's tougher to execute plays when the opponent knows what's coming. Like I just said.

We do the same things at the end of games, and expect a different result?

I'm going to the end of the season coach's shows at the Mews, and I'm going to ask Dan that question.

Rod say he likes the tough questions.

Well he's going to get that one for sure. Will be interesting to get his response.

He won't get mad. He's seen me a few times.
Why wait until the end of the season?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

You guys read want you want to read. I didn't state any opinion on the matter. I simply stated a fact. Rhodekill's comment was not destined to be a crowd pleaser.

Truthfully, I don't know how much of the end-game issues are coaching vs. inexperienced (and formerly not talented enough) players vs. bad luck. I think it is fair to say that you can probably assign a little of the blame to each of those categories. But in the bigger picture, I have said for basically Dan's entire tenure here that I thought he could use a veteran, sage basketball mind on his staff. It is a great thing to have on a young staff, even if it will probably ding you a little in your staff's ability to get out and recruit (which is a young man's game).

Part of the reason I bristle at being called a sunshiner (or whatever is the term du jour) is because there are some criticisms I have consistently made of the coach from very early. I am not here to cover for the coach, I just think overall he has done a really good job and a lot of the criticism he takes here is reactionary and unfounded. On this particular point - wanting to add someone to the staff who has been around the block and seen more hoops than our other coaches could have in their years on this earth - I actually agree.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

TruePoint wrote:You guys read want you want to read. I didn't state any opinion on the matter. I simply stated a fact. Rhodekill's comment was not destined to be a crowd pleaser.

Truthfully, I don't know how much of the end-game issues are coaching vs. inexperienced (and formerly not talented enough) players vs. bad luck. I think it is fair to say that you can probably assign a little of the blame to each of those categories. But in the bigger picture, I have said for basically Dan's entire tenure here that I thought he could use a veteran, sage basketball mind on his staff. It is a great thing to have on a young staff, even if it will probably ding you a little in your staff's ability to get out and recruit (which is a young man's game).

Part of the reason I bristle at being called a sunshiner (or whatever is the term du jour) is because there are some criticisms I have consistently made of the coach from very early. I am not here to cover for the coach, I just think overall he has done a really good job and a lot of the criticism he takes here is reactionary and unfounded. On this particular point - wanting to add someone to the staff who has been around the block and seen more hoops than our other coaches could have in their years on this earth - I actually agree.
A veteran coach on the staff would certainly help. As mentioned in other threads Hurley seems like he has the potential to be a great coach but he's still learning how to coach at this level and Hurley knows that he needs to improve on certain aspects of the game. Having a veteran coach around would benefit Hurley in the same way having veteran players around help out younger players.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

That's good, TP.

I really think he needs some help out there.

Hopefully he himself will realize that during the offseason, and does something about it.

If we keep playing the same kind of stagnant offense at the end of games, the losses will continue, even with EC and other good talent coming.....

That to me, is more concerning than just poor execution.....
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

I think whatever changes, next year, there are in style of play, both ends of court, situational end of game etc. will be the result of internal analysis in the off season by the current staff and then matched to next years roster.... I just do not see DH going in the direction of seeking help from some more experienced elder courtsman.......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote:I think whatever changes, next year, there are in style of play, both ends of court, situational end of game etc. will be the result of internal analysis in the off season by the current staff and then matched to next years roster.... I just do not see DH going in the direction of seeking help from some more experienced elder courtsman.......
You are right. I don't care if the concept is posted here 1000 times, and are probably close, it is not going to happen.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

TruePoint wrote: Part of the reason I bristle at being called a sunshiner (or whatever is the term du jour) is because there are some criticisms I have consistently made of the coach from very early. I am not here to cover for the coach, I just think overall he has done a really good job and a lot of the criticism he takes here is reactionary and unfounded. On this particular point - wanting to add someone to the staff who has been around the block and seen more hoops than our other coaches could have in their years on this earth - I actually agree.
First of all, reactionary makes zero sense. Secondly, unfounded? They are entirely founded. The main criticisms of of DH as near as I can tell are: 1. Hasn't done a great job of recruiting front court depth or talent (short of Hass). 2. Has a predictable offense. 3. End game sets are a disaster. Do you think these are unfounded?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Whether I agree with those specific criticisms, at least they are tangible and can be debated one way or the other. My bigger beef is with the general dread for the overall trajectory of the program after every single loss that I think borders on hysteria. That is what I think is reactionary and unfounded. A lot of my tendency toward being dismissive of specific criticisms, if I am being honest, is that I sense the conclusion that he sucks comes first then the specific criticisms are a result of people working backwards to create their arguments to support that conclusion.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

TruePoint wrote:Whether I agree with those specific criticisms, at least they are tangible and can be debated one way or the other. My bigger beef is with the general dread for the overall trajectory of the program after every single loss that I think borders on hysteria. That is what I think is reactionary and unfounded. A lot of my tendency toward being dismissive of specific criticisms, if I am being honest, is that I sense the conclusion that he sucks comes first then the specific criticisms are a result of people working backwards to create their arguments to support that conclusion.
If you are being fair, there are probably 10x the number of people who assumed from day #1 that he was good at all facets of coaching and have worked backwards to that conclusion. I have been pretty consistent from the beginning. I liked the hire but was not going to assume anything. He gets a solid B grade from me for his tenure. More good than bad. More great than terrible. Still needs to plug a few holes, though.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

The big man debate can go on forever, if you refuse to look at the history in the last four years. Not excusing the shortage of big men in totality, but there have been extenuating circumstances that have led to such a shortage. Holton, Hare, Onykaba, Butts, Rokas. What would our frontcourt look like if any one of them was playing alongside of Hassan?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I doubt Oneykaba or Butts would have made any difference.
The best thing I ever heard about Butts was,
"serviceable".
0 x
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

Unread post by 3wisemen »

rodfromcranston wrote:I doubt Oneykaba or Butts would have made any difference.
"serviceable".
Interesting take on Onyekaba. Far different from the scouting report offered following his URI debut against Maine.

Rodfromcranston:
Just got home.
Had a great time, and enjoyed the game and talking to so many
real Ram followers.
OK, I'm going to go on record as saying Oneykaba will be the best rebounder we've had since ARD.
He plays within himself, doesn't stray from near the basket, and gets the job done. Whoever said he was very raw,
yes, raw like a rare ribeye. Jordan who?
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Haha wow thats some serious research
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Serious trolling by a jerk who does that.
Look at almost all this creep's posts and they
are aimed at me.
Oh, BTW, anyone who saw Oneykaba vs. Maine was
excited, too.
Maybe you want to post those too.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

"serviceable".
I agree with Butts, and a lesser extent Onekaba, Rod, but the point was a least we'd have had some back up size.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

rodfromcranston wrote:Serious trolling by a jerk who does that.
Look at almost all this creep's posts and they
are aimed at me.
Oh, BTW, anyone who saw Oneykaba vs. Maine was
excited, too.
Maybe you want to post those too.
I was all about Bigby after his debut in an exhibition.
Yikes.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

We all make mistakes trying to judge player
on practices or exhibition games.
Dan told us Reischel was his best all around player,
before he ever played a game.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

rodfromcranston wrote:We all make mistakes trying to judge player
on practices or exhibition games.
Dan told us Reischel was his best all around player,
before he ever played a game.
Maybe he was (kidding)!

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... e-reischel
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Makes you wonder, eh?
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Very happy for Jarelle having a good senior season at EKU. I did just notice that he is leading the entire NCAA for most turnovers.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

He was awful at protecting the ball with anyone
around him.
Especially in the lane.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Wow he leads the whole thing!? I did think he was bad.

I think Rod still gets points for the "raw as a ribeye" line.

Maybe Iffy is no ball player but that line was a good one.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

As far as raw numbers of TOs go, yes Jarelle is #1 with 113 TOs. He's averaging 4.0/gm, there's a couple guys averaging 4.1-4.2 but they've played fewer games.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

No doubt the 6'10" recruit who I will not name seriously hurt this program.

Too bad really, he could step in now and add wins....

OK done with that let it be the final mention of the one who won't be further named.

FWIW I thought Iffy was a beast after the Maine game and I took a photo at the time and posted it in the thread to prove it.

(Sigh)
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Had to go back to the Maine thread (thread page #26) to see what it was all about.

Many, many posters raved about Iffy.
But also just as many raved about Jarrelle.
Of course it was the first game of the Hurley regime and was against Maine.
Many complaining about the quality of the streaming - wow how times have changed

My favorite post of all was this one from Iggy on page 2:
Wow. A game hasn't been played and Hurley's decisions being questioned. In Hurley we (sometimes) trust!
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Well its obvious the honeymoon is over.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Where is Iggy?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Oakland Beach making doughboys and chowder.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

New Iggy's near point Judith finally open!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.....Iffy.....somewhere along the line, I evaluated Earl as ..."iffy with more upside...."......how far was I off?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhodyKyle
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

3wisemen wrote:
"serviceable".
Interesting take on Onyekaba. Far different from the scouting report offered following his URI debut against Maine.

Rodfromcranston:
Just got home.
Had a great time, and enjoyed the game and talking to so many
real Ram followers.
OK, I'm going to go on record as saying Oneykaba will be the best rebounder we've had since ARD.
He plays within himself, doesn't stray from near the basket, and gets the job done. Whoever said he was very raw,
yes, raw like a rare ribeye. Jordan who?
http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blog ... AA5FdP.jpg
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Hey, I was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy off.
It happens.
How many busts do we see in sports where
pro teams invest millions in scouting,
and still get it wrong.
Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, anyone?
0 x
GY=URI
Abdul Fox

Unread post by GY=URI »

What is the definition of Coach?
What player development have we seen?
Iffy coached and developed could have been what Rod and many saw in his first game.
The problem is with the head not the body.
0 x