Game 26: @ VCU Tuesday Feb 16, 7:30PM: CBSSN

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Game 26: @ VCU Tuesday Feb 16, 7:30PM: CBSSN

Unread post by STC »

The whole 20/20 hindsight with recruits is fun to play but it goes both ways. If Jon Severe commits on his official with EC then URI likely doesn't have Jared Terrell right now.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Well I'm giving DH free advice. Then I'm charging guys like Jim Christian.

Better combos than HM/KI?

Dayton, VCU, Richmond, GW off the top of my head have legit 1-2 punch in the front court that is likely better than ours.

Then you have guys like the 1 stud at George Mason, the 1 stud for Fordham, SLU has a legit power forward, Bonnies didn't exactly lose against our front court.

HM and KI are great but they don't win. Its college basketball, you can look athletic and have a good box score but if you consistently lose the game then how good are you??? I put that on the whole team and program. Individually and as a group.

Are Jarvis Garrett and Jared T better than what they have in Olean? well they got beat by them. So on and so on.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Why do some posters on here feel the need to be the judge, jury, and executioner of what others say?

Is this a contest?

Who thinks they are qualified to do so, even if it was?

I'm looking at you, TP.

Everybody has an opinion. Right, wrong, and everything in between.

And nobody should act as if their "opinion" is worth more than anybody else's.

And maybe you don't think so, but that's the way you come across to people.

Gustys could have very well been a big difference maker for us. Or maybe not.

Who knows, he didn't come here. The "I'm right, you're wrong" attitude you have on many things, really grates.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rambone 78 wrote:Why do some posters on here feel the need to be the judge, jury, and executioner of what others say?

Is this a contest?

I'm looking at you, TP.

Who knows, he didn't come here. The "I'm right, you're wrong" attitude you have on many things, really grates.
This is "rich".... coming from the guy who repeatedly says he 'knows' and that 'other people (fill in the blank) know he's right, too'. ...now THAT's entertainment... :lol: :lol: :lol:

PS - Have been told my opinion is 'wrong'...by so many people...I think it would be nice actually to have that limited to one person. And I'm fine with it being TP for now...
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:Why do some posters on here feel the need to be the judge, jury, and executioner of what others say?

Is this a contest?

I'm looking at you, TP.

This is "rich".... coming from the guy who repeatedly says he 'knows' and that 'other people (fill in the blank) know he's right, too'. ...now THAT's entertainment... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Really rich from fan boy who trys to slam everyone with a negative post.
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Have to agree on the current depth...quite shallow. Would think that there has to be concern that the depth situation will change drastically next year... I'm not a recruit follower, but will they have 4 new guys (or 3 + EC) that can just step in and play a bunch of front-court minutes from the get go? I hope so, but do we "know" that?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:

Is this a contest?

I'm looking at you, TP.

Really rich from fan boy who trys to slam everyone with a negative post.
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Have to agree on the current depth...quite shallow. Would think that there has to be concern that the depth situation will change drastically next year... I'm not a recruit follower, but will they have 4 new guys (or 3 + EC) that can just step in and play a bunch of front-court minutes from the get go? I hope so, but do we "know" that?
Huh??? That was a question...I don't know anything about the recruits...so, I asked....
PS - I like being called "boy", too...separates me from the cranky old men ;)
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Have to agree on the current depth...quite shallow. Would think that there has to be concern that the depth situation will change drastically next year..
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:Have to agree on the current depth...quite shallow. Would think that there has to be concern that the depth situation will change drastically next year..
That sounds brilliant...did you just come up with that? I said something like that, but in full context, referenced front court depth...and asked...does anyone know for sure that reinforcements are on the way for next year?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:Have to agree on the current depth...quite shallow. Would think that there has to be concern that the depth situation will change drastically next year..
LOL...nice...guy takes someone else's partial quote and uses as his signature line. That's pretty mature :lol:
And besides, I've said dumber stuff ...you probably shouldn't have to dig too far to find something better?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
LOL...nice...guy takes someone else's partial quote and uses as his signature line. That's pretty mature :lol:
And besides, I've said dumber stuff ...you probably shouldn't have to dig too far to find something better?
called you out in December. Just want people to remember how you feel about the team and there NCAAT possibilities... How's that at large bid working for you?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rambone 78 wrote: I'm looking at you, TP.
Heaven forbid I express an opinion. This is how most of these interactions play out:

[poster 1:] <opinion>

[TruePoint:] disagree

[poster 2:] TP is condescending!!!

It is a tiring routine. If you want to bring an opinion here, please do. That is why we are here. But your opinion is a fair topic of discussion, and people are allowed to express their disagreement. I'm happy to defend mine without resorting to calling anyone who disagrees with me a big meanie.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
called you out in December. Just want people to remember how you feel about the team and there NCAAT possibilities... How's that at large bid working for you?
Dude...if you're going to quote me and use it as your signature (and it means a lot that you think enough about what I have to say to do so)...at least use the whole thing?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

TP, it's just that you come across as "talking down" to people. That's kind of your style so to speak.

That shows a lack of respect for other's opinions, in my book.

OK, I've said my piece. Moving on.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Well I'm giving DH free advice. Then I'm charging guys like Jim Christian.

Dayton, VCU, Richmond, GW off the top of my head have legit 1-2 punch in the front court that is likely better than ours.

Then you have guys like the 1 stud at George Mason, the 1 stud for Fordham, SLU has a legit power forward, Bonnies didn't exactly lose against our front court.

HM and KI are great but they don't win. Its college basketball, you can look athletic and have a good box score but if you consistently lose the game then how good are you??? I put that on the whole team and program. Individually and as a group.

Are Jarvis Garrett and Jared T better than what they have in Olean? well they got beat by them. So on and so on.
Best 1-2 punch is DeAndre Bembry and Isaiah Miles of ST Joe's - both in running for POY and all conference first team
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

208. I think alot about what you have to say, in the fact it distorts peoples perception of how this team is performing. To say this team has a chance at an at large bid, which you have been spouting since December, is a complete affront to the students at this school. This team has been out of an at large bid since December, but you still spouted that they have a chance. To say this team has a chance to win the tournament is a complete load of crap. Not sure if you went to URI, but at major conferences, we don't hold our hat on winning the conference championship to get in the tournament. That is a flash in the pan. If you are in the tournament, well, you have good idea before Selection Sunday.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think Dayton fans know how we feel playing at Hawk Hill.

24-7 disparity in FT's.

Of course, 2-7 ain't good.

I'd still rather be where they are, though. :lol:

One other thing, why can't our opponents have a bad night shooting them when they play us?

Maybe someone can look it up. A lot of 80% + FT shooting against us. Even at the RC.
0 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:

Our front court is very weak because we don't have a SF and if you factor in SFs, those teams certainly have a better 1-2 front court punch than us.

But I was talking about the PF/C positions and lack of depth. Is the Martin/Iverson/Watson combo that far off from the Alie-Cox/Tillman/Mohamed combo or the Pollard/McElvene/Miller (assuming Pierre is the 3) combo? Maybe/maybe not. My point was that, from a personnel standpoint, we need a star regardless of position much more than we need an above average front court player. IMO, we have the supporting cast, we just need a star to emerge. If we don't get that star, we will continue to struggle against the top 50 teams. Hopefully EC or someone in our current lineup emerges into that player next year.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Actually, we've been out of contention for 16 yrs.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:208. I think alot about what you have to say, in the fact it distorts peoples perception of how this team is performing. To say this team has a chance at an at large bid, which you have been spouting since December, is a complete affront to the students at this school. This team has been out of an at large bid since December, but you still spouted that they have a chance. To say this team has a chance to win the tournament is a complete load of crap. Not sure if you went to URI, but at major conferences, we don't hold our hat on winning the conference championship to get in the tournament. That is a flash in the pan. If you are in the tournament, well, you have good idea before Selection Sunday.
Fussy fussy fussy guy.... That you "think a lot" about what I have to say on an internet message board and use partial quotes of mine for your signature...I'm not sure if I should be honored, or just totally totally creeped out. you can probably guess which way I'm leaning....

I would (and will) always say that they have a chance at an a/l bid, so long as the record didn't totally eliminate the possibility. Obviously, that's changed in the last few weeks (losing 7 of 11 will do that). I guess, since you're such a follower of mine (sorry, I'm not on Twitter or FB, or it might help fill the rest of your day) you can produce what I said the last time I spouted that they had a chance. I'm guessing, if they had won out from that point forward, there was a possibility, however slim. I don't know if you print out all of my posts, or if you keep them in an electronic file someplace, but I'm sure you can find it.

A "complete affront to the students"...hilarious.... I know...maybe they should sue? "Mom, there was this guy...who said we have a chance...and then...we didn't...I'm so disappointed...I just don't know what to do with my self...he gave me hope...I think he lied to me on purpose...what am I going to do NOW?"

And...I will admit I thought there was a possibility of winning the tournament and a decent chance of going deep...last night's kinda whuppin' is hard to ignore, tho.....have to see if/how they recover
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

URI2006_Andy wrote:

Our front court is very weak because we don't have a SF and if you factor in SFs, those teams certainly have a better 1-2 front court punch than us.

But I was talking about the PF/C positions and lack of depth. Is the Martin/Iverson/Watson combo that far off from the Alie-Cox/Tillman/Mohamed combo or the Pollard/McElvene/Miller (assuming Pierre is the 3) combo? Maybe/maybe not. My point was that, from a personnel standpoint, we need a star regardless of position much more than we need an above average front court player. IMO, we have the supporting cast, we just need a star to emerge. If we don't get that star, we will continue to struggle against the top 50 teams. Hopefully EC or someone in our current lineup emerges into that player next year.
I didn't include Bembry because I thought we were talking the 4&5. Obviously Bembry and Miles are an awesome tandem.

I think all of the teams I listed have better front courts than ours.

My reasoning? because they beat us.

And if you think Hassan Martin's stats are great? Look at the opposing players stats. Usually pretty similar to his if not better.

I also think this team needs a star more than anything, which I don't think they have right now. I just call it a playmaker. I think they need a play maker. 1 more than EC preferably next year. That is probably Garrett now and going forward but I would prefer another because I think Garrett's size causes problems at times and he's not a guy that draws fouls and makes you pay. He kind of draws fouls and lets you off the hook.

A guy that draws fouls and makes you pay really changes the game. Forces the other team to have a foul and gets the points. Simple but worth noting. It does more than just gain the basket.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Losing sure does create a lot of disharmony...
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

A wild card will be Dowtin. He's playing against very tough competition and is more than holding his own.

I just hope he doesn't forget how to shoot when he comes here.

:o :o :lol: :P
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:Losing sure does create a lot of disharmony...

Hmm...ya think? I can't imagine the players getting this jakked up about this...
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

"You are what your record says you are" Bill Parcells.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

theblueram wrote:208. I think alot about what you have to say, in the fact it distorts peoples perception of how this team is performing. To say this team has a chance at an at large bid, which you have been spouting since December, is a complete affront to the students at this school. This team has been out of an at large bid since December, but you still spouted that they have a chance. To say this team has a chance to win the tournament is a complete load of crap. Not sure if you went to URI, but at major conferences, we don't hold our hat on winning the conference championship to get in the tournament. That is a flash in the pan. If you are in the tournament, well, you have good idea before Selection Sunday.
Complete affront to the students? Melodramatic much?

Oh, and we don't hang our hat on winning the conference championship? The 99 team only got in because we won our conference tournament and we seem to cling to that year pretty hard around here.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

URI2006_Andy wrote:

I didn't include Bembry because I thought we were talking the 4&5. Obviously Bembry and Miles are an awesome tandem.

I think all of the teams I listed have better front courts than ours.

My reasoning? because they beat us.

And if you think Hassan Martin's stats are great? Look at the opposing players stats. Usually pretty similar to his if not better.

I also think this team needs a star more than anything, which I don't think they have right now. I just call it a playmaker. I think they need a play maker. 1 more than EC preferably next year. That is probably Garrett now and going forward but I would prefer another because I think Garrett's size causes problems at times and he's not a guy that draws fouls and makes you pay. He kind of draws fouls and lets you off the hook.

A guy that draws fouls and makes you pay really changes the game. Forces the other team to have a foul and gets the points. Simple but worth noting. It does more than just gain the basket.
Yes, I thought you might be thinking that way. But St Joe basically plays with Bembry and Miles as the two big men with Brown, Newkirk, Demery and Kimble sharing the 3 guard spots. Oliva (PF)does not play too much.
You see quite a few teams playing with 3 guards and sometimes 4 guards.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Yea Bembry and Miles both do a great job. They both can shoot it on top of everything else. Bembry is very special.

Both Dayton and Richmond play something that almost looks like all 5 guys having similar skills. 4 guards has worked for many teams over the years even in the top 5 nationally.

I wonder if Dan seeing Bembry in hs and how he developed and the other A10 recruits that turned out to be very good has changed the way he evaluates talent? The Bembrys/Pollards
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I think one of Bembry's most dangerous skills is his passing. He sees the floor very well and has a good ability to find the open man oftentimes with quick accurate cross court passes. His defensive pressure is excellent too.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

We recruited Bembry and were in his final three I believe...we also heavily recruited Pollard but he wanted more than we could offer....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

I agree Bembry has an advanced passing skill that looks like the NBA when he passes out of pressure. You can contrast how he makes teams pay versus how Hassan Martin reacts to the double team.

Joes as a team also spreads the floor and creates the passing lanes for Bembry. They have obviously been coached up to deal with the attention he gets then to play off of that.

Thinking about how Joes anticipated the attention Bembry would get and obviously coached some ways to exploit that makes me more down about DH than ever before. I actually love DH as our coach and haven't had any reservations about him till this point.

There are light years in difference in the way that Joes has the confidence to execute because they are anticipating the way the game is going to play out and just executing Martelli's plan. Our team seems surprised when Martin gets doubled or when teams go right at him out of the gate to get him in foul trouble.

Age old.... how do you neutralize a shot blocker? go right at him. Especially a short one.

Ramulous thats what I was thinking about. He must have learned something from watching those guys and seeing how good they have become. So in the future he will have a better idea of what a good player looks like at that stage.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

You really can't compare the two, because Martin is playing the 4/5, and is constricted by the back line. He is not a ball handler and Bembry is. Also Bembry's status, allows him to walk with the ball as seen so frequently in our last game with Joe's, but I do understand your larger point
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Yea i'm not dissapointed Martin isn't Deandre Bembry. Because among other things Bembry walks on most possessions--I mean walks on water.

Just that DH hasn't created a whole strategy around Martin's offense and the rest of the team having roles to play around that offense when the defense tries to stop him.

I know Bembry plays on the perimeter and can attack a double team different ways than Martin. BUT, if Martin were to draw a double team and then DH ran an offense around that, it wouldn't be the first time in basketball history that a team used their post player to draw a defense and exploit it.

Isn't that strange? that we bemoan Martin being double teamed when most basketball clubs are looking for someone to draw a double team so that they can create offense?
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Yea i'm not dissapointed Martin isn't Deandre Bembry. Because among other things Bembry walks on most possessions--I mean walks on water.

Just that DH hasn't created a whole strategy around Martin's offense and the rest of the team having roles to play around that offense when the defense tries to stop him.

I know Bembry plays on the perimeter and can attack a double team different ways than Martin. BUT, if Martin were to draw a double team and then DH ran an offense around that, it wouldn't be the first time in basketball history that a team used their post player to draw a defense and exploit it.

Isn't that strange? that we bemoan Martin being double teamed when most basketball clubs are looking for someone to draw a double team so that they can create offense?

That's because Hassan doesn't have nearly the passing ability or handle of a Bembry, or even a guy like Larsen at GW. Hassan has developed a really good 12-15 foot jumper and a reliable baby-hook, but still most of his utility offensively is going to be on offensive rebounds. No sense designing an offense to exploit double-teams in the post when said post player turns the ball over 30-40% of the times he's doubled.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Yea i'm not dissapointed Martin isn't Deandre Bembry. Because among other things Bembry walks on most possessions--I mean walks on water.

Basketball truth here. Lingering injuries perhaps.

Good query for the coaches show!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

I never denigrated Bembry, and would love to have him, but that doesn't mean I can't criticize the fact that he and most of the "A" players get a pass on travelling. You saw that in the Dayton game, and the St. Joe's game, and to a lesser degree last year with EC. I may be looking at the past, but what is travelling these days?
By the way, I try not to get into pissing contests, so your first condescending line wasn't necessary.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

I thought I was agreeing with you and basically everyone that has posted about this. Not trying to be condescending in the least.

I think Bembry is the best player in the league. I think he travels along with many other guards.

Just pointing out the difference in how Joes approaches offense versus URI. Joes anticipates, while URI reacts.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: Just pointing out the difference in how Joes approaches offense versus URI. Joes anticipates, while URI reacts.
Can you explain this further? Seemed like you pointed out that Bembry does well out of double-teams (very true), and you think URI should do the same thing with Hassan, i.e. try to get him into double-teams in the post so he can exploit the defense. I think this is very untrue, due to Hassan not being nearly as good at handling the ball or passing as Bembry, or for a post-player example, Larsen on GW. He turns it over way too frequently when doubled.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

sf2010 wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote: Just pointing out the difference in how Joes approaches offense versus URI. Joes anticipates, while URI reacts.
Can you explain this further? Seemed like you pointed out that Bembry does well out of double-teams (very true), and you think URI should do the same thing with Hassan, i.e. try to get him into double-teams in the post so he can exploit the defense. I think this is very untrue, due to Hassan not being nearly as good at handling the ball or passing as Bembry, or for a post-player example, Larsen on GW. He turns it over way too frequently when doubled.
I agree that HM has lost the ball when the double has come to him on nearly all occasions.

But also think that when the double team comes, both the team and him are surprised and not ready to attack that double team.

So in part I attribute how bad he looks when the double team comes to the lack of foresight that the double team would in fact ever come.

If HM anticipated the double, then he would keep both players in his sight(he hasn't done that).

Then he would have a small amount of things he can do to get out of it. (1) some sort of skip pass after he executes a dribble and step back(don't jump because then the defense has you); (2) a shot over his right shoulder away from the defense(Which I dont think he has really shown); or (3) splitting it(most difficult, unlikely but could happen once on the defenses mistake).

So I recommend Martin first anticipate the double and then either step away and pass to the open player or go baseline with a shot or to the basket.

If nothing shows itself just hold it, give it back to the guard. They can always restart the process, which will force the defenders to reshuffle.

It would put stress on the defense to have to double martin 1-2 times every possession. BUT that would take URI getting into their sets faster. They waste a lot of time looking at the bench for the call.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

I guess our difference of opinion is that HM/the team are "surprised" when the double comes. I don't think they are surprised, I am sure they are aware of this propensity HM has to turn it over in a double team, and I am sure they work on it in practice. He is just not that good at it. He might look surprised because he may not have the best awareness of sensing when the double-team comes and therefore has to scramble to get out of it. He can clearly improve in passing out of the double, it just hasn't happened yet to this point in his development. I'm not saying that utilizing HM in the post isn't something they should do on offense, but rather I don't think they should intentionally attempt to create situations where Hassan has to be double, and it shouldn't be the focal point of the offense because HM does not have the passing/dribbling skills to make it a consistently productive way to attack.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

If he could only execute the move between two defenders, as in the Joe's game, on a regular basis, it would elevate his game exponentially.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Yeah, maybe today because he hasn't gotten it done.

but a little more practice and I'm sure he would be fine.

It automatically gives you an open man or 2 guys being split by 1, which is why you space.

Basically URI gets the other team in the position that URI would want. Except as you say HM doesnt have the ability to get the ball to the next stage.

Personally, I dont think the ability to pass out of a double team or the ability to see it coming is something that takes years to do in the A10. I think at most it may take 2-3 games for an EC. Maybe 2-3 weeks for a Hassan Martin. At most.

Its seeing 2 guys coming and passing to the open man. If the defense cheats then the 1 player they cheat off of dives to the basket and HM bounces it to him. Its very simple. But it takes coaching.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

yea star
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

If you look at his last two games against two of the best teams in the league HM has performed admirably
Dayton: 33 min, 0 fouls, 5-7 FT, 5-13 FG, 15 points, 7 rebounds, 0 assists, 2 steals, 2 blocks, 2 turnovers of 16 for the team
VCU: 38 min, 3 fouls, 1-2 FT, 9-14 FG, 19 points, 10 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals, 3 blocks, 2 turnovers of 11 for the team

- a complaint about him has been he needs to learn to stay out of foul trouble - he did against these two best teams in A10
- 4 turnovers combined on both games out of 27 for the whole team
- 4 steals

I think Hassan is showing more and more signs of being over his ankle injury
3 of the best passes URI made against Dayton I thought came from Hassan and I said that in the post game write up

I think URI needs to work more plays to Hassan and we need to look for him more down low. Many of his points are coming from himself when he gets offensive rebounds on his own.

We don't look for him enough imho
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Yeah, maybe today because he hasn't gotten it done.

but a little more practice and I'm sure he would be fine.

It automatically gives you an open man or 2 guys being split by 1, which is why you space.

Basically URI gets the other team in the position that URI would want. Except as you say HM doesnt have the ability to get the ball to the next stage.

Personally, I dont think the ability to pass out of a double team or the ability to see it coming is something that takes years to do in the A10. I think at most it may take 2-3 games for an EC. Maybe 2-3 weeks for a Hassan Martin. At most.

Its seeing 2 guys coming and passing to the open man. If the defense cheats then the 1 player they cheat off of dives to the basket and HM bounces it to him. Its very simple. But it takes coaching.
Agree with most of this post except for the last two paragraphs. I really don't think it is as easy or "simple" as you seem to think it is. Just because it was easy for us to do in high school or is an easy concept to teach to 8th graders does not mean that it is easy to execute at the division I level against A10 competition.

Good points by ramster that Hassan has played very well the last two games.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

haha I'm always resisting the temptation to compare these guys to playing in high school.

So I generally try to post from the view of a spectator.

I say its easy or relatively easy because its not like trying to get a guy that doesn't shoot well to become a knock down shooter.

In other words he passes the ball and he does dribble in place 2-3 times. All he has to do is those two things together. But I also think a problem in that is the teams positioning around him. They have to be in spots that spread the floor and make it tougher for the defense to not be exposed.

Who knows but it was fun to think about. I don't care how the team wins if it does indeed win.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote:I would rather have Rokas than not, but he has half as many rebounds per game OOC than in conference. The reduction his his production against upper half A10 teams or similar is significant. The CAA, despite good metrics (#9 Conf in KenPom), still has many crap teams he can feast upon.

That said, he would still be able contribute and the net would be positive, given how Hass could play PF.
ATP,
I think you are right to a degree but consider these factors too:
- He was hurt some in the early part of the season
- He has learned to control his Fouls better. Last year he was often in foul trouble early. In OOC he had in 12 games two he fouled out, 4 with 4 fouls.In 15 Conference games he fouled out of 1 and 5 with 4 however playing a lot more minutes
- He is simply improving all the time and playing with more confidence so he is getting more minutes from his Coach than his Freshman year and also earlier in the year in OOC. He is still only a Soph.
- Expect him to get better and better as his Jr and Sr years come along. The guy is build like a rock

Wish we could get guys like this..............his last game Thursday night:

Tied at 82, Hofstra (19-8, 11-4 Colonial Athletic Association) got the ball with 13 seconds left after an offensive foul on Towson, setting up the winning play. Green passed it to Gustys, who dropped in the layup with 2.7 second left, and Towson missed a 3-pointer at the buzzer.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Complete affront to the students? Melodramatic much?

Oh, and we don't hang our hat on winning the conference championship? The 99 team only got in because we won our conference tournament and we seem to cling to that year pretty hard around here.
RR02, That year was pretty much a bust. Yes, we won the tournament. But with Preston going down, things went south real fast. We were one and done in the tournament. Flash in the pan. I'm melodramatic. I know. If we didn't win the tournament, we were done, even making the finals. But, Lamar did get to play Point that year. That was fun. I have to say though I was out of my mind when he made that 3 for the win.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:I would rather have Rokas than not, but he has half as many rebounds per game OOC than in conference. The reduction his his production against upper half A10 teams or similar is significant. The CAA, despite good metrics (#9 Conf in KenPom), still has many crap teams he can feast upon.

That said, he would still be able contribute and the net would be positive, given how Hass could play PF.
ATP,
I think you are right to a degree but consider these factors too:
- He was hurt some in the early part of the season
- He has learned to control his Fouls better. Last year he was often in foul trouble early. In OOC he had in 12 games two he fouled out, 4 with 4 fouls.In 15 Conference games he fouled out of 1 and 5 with 4 however playing a lot more minutes
- He is simply improving all the time and playing with more confidence so he is getting more minutes from his Coach than his Freshman year and also earlier in the year in OOC. He is still only a Soph.
- Expect him to get better and better as his Jr and Sr years come along. The guy is build like a rock

Wish we could get guys like this..............his last game Thursday night:

Tied at 82, Hofstra (19-8, 11-4 Colonial Athletic Association) got the ball with 13 seconds left after an offensive foul on Towson, setting up the winning play. Green passed it to Gustys, who dropped in the layup with 2.7 second left, and Towson missed a 3-pointer at the buzzer.

ATP,
I went back and gathered Gustys stats YTD

First 17 Games of this season vs the Last 10 Games played
Minutes per Game: 25.6 > 36.4 - an increase of 10.8 mpg
Points per Game: 10.9 > 18.1 - an increase of 7.2 ppg
Rebounds per Game: 9.5 > 16.9 - an increase of 10.8 rpg

Gustys did not start often last year and his play has resulted in more minutes played this year. The last 10 games his minutes really went up and his scoring and rebounding have been immense

Some could be attributed to the level of the CAA vs the OOC games but I think much of this is just Gustys himself maturing and gaining confidence in himself and earning confidence with the Coaching staff

Wish we had him
0 x