Game 25: Dayton Friday Feb 12, 7:00PM ESPN2

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Game 25: Dayton Friday Feb 12, 7:00PM ESPN2

Unread post by ramster »

Dayton Rankings:
#19 AP Poll
#17 USA Today Coaches Poll
#12 Daily RPI
#16 CBSSports.com Top 25 (and one)
#28 BPI
#16 ESPN College Basketball Power Rankings. Commentary: The Flyers keep rattling off wins. The streak stands at seven in a row. Tow of the past three have come by more than 30 points.

Record 19-3 (9-1) Tied with VCU for 1st Place in A10

Losses:
Nov 29 AWAY Advocare Final Lake Buena Vista Florida: 90-61 to then #23 ranked Xavier - Current RPI=8
Dec 12 HOME: 61-59 Chattanooga - Current RPI = 37
Jan 9 AWAY: 61-57 LaSalle - Current RPI = 249

Big Wins included @ Vanderbilt when Vandy was ranked #21, a huge 80-48 win over Alabama and an early season win over Iowa 82-77 and Iowa is now ranked #4 AP with only 4 losses.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Re: Game 25: Dayton Friday Feb 12, 7:00PM ESPN2

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Win tonight and win this one and everyone will be back on the bandwagon!

Git r done!!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Win or lose, I will be there Friday cheering on the young men that give excitement to my dreary winter nights.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Yes, agree......
- Cold February Friday night
- Home Court in one of the very best 7,500+ arenas in the country
- Great opponent - best in the A10 right now -Nationally ranked Dayton Flyers
- It doesn't get any better than this on our home court the rest of the way
- Next game is on to VCU also 9-1 in conference
- Go RHODY!!
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

We're winning this game on Friday. You heard it here first.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

adam914 wrote:We're winning this game on Friday. You heard it here first.
But, that's only because I just got home and didn't have the opportunity to say it first... ;)
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Dayton, Richmond, St Louis are the 3 A-10 teams we have enjoyed a good amount of success against even when they had better teams.
Let's hope the trend continues.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Alright everyone.....hear me out.....I am going to be blasphemous.....I don't want us to beat Dayton Friday night.....

The A-10 needs Dayton to be ranked as high as possible to get a good seed in the NCAA's

We are not playing for an at-large bid....we need to win the A-10 tournament

To win the A-10 tournament we need to beat Dayton there eventually....

If we beat Dayton Friday it will be that more difficult to beat them again in Brooklyn....they wont overlook us if we beat them now....

We need Dayton, VCU, GW, St. Joes, and the Bonnies to amass as many victories as possible to get at least 4 bids to the NCAA's from the A-10...

We win the A-10 to steal a 5th bid for the A-10....

We beat Dayton to win the conference.....

I'd would rather beat them in March than beat them in February....and I don't think we can do both...

I want us to play well and lose by around 10...

Please don't ban me from the Keaney Blue board....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

We may not match up so bad with Dayton versus maybe a VCU. Honestly I would only want to avoid VCU.

Rhody goes on a tear over the next week or more and Brooklyn will be packed.

This win would be another in the conference win column.

We need to win this game so bad. Dayton is getting a 4 seed right now from Lunardi.

This gives US a better shot in Brooklyn. This rewards our team for hanging tight and gutting it out.

This pumps some positivity into the fans and the recruits seeing Rhody battle through so much.

This gives Rhody the win they have been denied so many times regardless of how close.

The team needs to feel the rewards of sticking to the plan regardless of so much adversity.

Lets see what happens.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Fuck moral victories. They don't count in the W column.

We've seen enough of those close but not quite's. If we are close at the end.......

We need to find another Marquis Jones.
0 x
Stop! Rammer Time
Kenny Green

Unread post by Stop! Rammer Time »

This is a game that I think many of us would've penciled in a loss at the beginning of the season, nevermind now with what has transpired.

Based on what I've seen of this team, I would bet the farm on Dayton.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Ramulous wrote:Alright everyone.....hear me out.....I am going to be blasphemous.....I don't want us to beat Dayton Friday night.....

The A-10 needs Dayton to be ranked as high as possible to get a good seed in the NCAA's

If we beat Dayton Friday it will be that more difficult to beat them again in Brooklyn....they wont overlook us if we beat them now....

We need Dayton, VCU, GW, St. Joes, and the Bonnies to amass as many victories as possible to get at least 4 bids to the NCAA's from the A-10...

I'd would rather beat them in March than beat them in February....and I don't think we can do both...

I used to feel this way. I don't anymore. We need a big win, at anybody's expense.
I don't really care about Dayton's seeding. That's their problem. If they want a higher seed, let them beat us. If not, too freaking bad.
I care about us first. My days of hoping other teams improve their standings, at our expense, are over.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Ramulous wrote:Alright everyone.....hear me out.....I am going to be blasphemous.....I don't want us to beat Dayton Friday night.....

SCREW THE A-10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are only in the league because there are no better viable options. We do not have much in common with many of the members and the other schools and their fans have little interest in URI.

I want Rhody to win above all else. Besides, these other schools didn't lay down when we were fighting for an NCAA berth late in the season in previous years. Why then should we?

The A-10 does very little to help URI. URI should return the favor.
Last edited by RF1 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

A loss to Rhode Island on the road is not devastating to Dayton.

This is a game we really should win esp with a good crowd.

It is time for this club to step up. Amazing really how many chances we have had to get a big win. We really only played well in the Providence game.

I am expecting a strong effort Friday night! This might be our last chance to have a signature win. The season can still be saved. This can still be a special team.

Outta time git r done!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Agreed, this would not be a loss that hurts Dayton. They're approaching lock status barring a Baronesque collapse. They don't do that... in fact, they usually do the opposite (start horrible in conf play and blast through the rest of it).

A win helps win back some fans and get us some confidence for the rest of our run through the A10 and Brooklyn.

Right now, Dayton, Joes, VCU and GW are all on track for sub-50 RPIs. That would be enough to get each into the Dance (as long as VCU isn't the 4th best of that group).

Bonnies may be hosting some NIT games up in beautiful Olean.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Notwithstanding the crap competition the past two games this team is trending up.

Hurts that Iverson has been pulled out of these two games that give confidence to the guys.

If he comes back where he was when he went down then the team will be competitive Friday.

Kuran's shot really was figuring itself out. He does a lot of big guy stuff well on the boards. His length is impressive.

Kuran going forward and into next year should absolutely eat at the 3 point line because big guys aren't going out there to cover him. He basically shoots an open 3 point shot every time. If they go small on him? Go close to the bucket and use that length that comes natural.

He doesn't shoot free throws as well as you would think looking at his 3pt %.

Exciting couple of days leading up to Friday in a season that has been a downer.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

LOL cheering against your own team for other teams' benefit. The next time I cheer against Rhody will be the first.

ESPN2, Top 20 team coming to The Ryan Center, should be a packed house, people always bitch when we have a legit opponent at home and lose, yet your cheering for us to lost by TEN?

So if we do lose by 10 and nobody comes to the next home game because we lost to Dayton at home, are you going to bitch when there's 3000 people there?

Also, what's to say we even run into Dayton in A10 tourney? They just lost to LA SALLE of all teams.

Gimme a goddam break.
Last edited by Rhody15 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Time for this team to deliver, step up to the challenge, utilize the home court crowd to add a few points in our favor, time for solid games from the key players, some unexpected major bench contributions, maybe some press action right from the jump, give Dayton a different Rhody look that they have not seen......time for Dan to out coach Archie......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

IF we do win this game. For the love of god please don't rush the court. This game is going to be close to a pick in Vegas.
0 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

skwalk47 wrote:IF we do win this game. For the love of god please don't rush the court. This game is going to be close to a pick in Vegas.

Given we hardly ever beat a ranked opponent, I would have no issue if the students rushed the court after a win. They so rarely ever have the opportunity.

A win would be great but I would savor it more if it actually meant something for the season. If URI beats Dayton this Friday, it will likely have no bearing on URI's fortunes in 2015-16. Unless URI were to somehow keep on a roll and beat VCU, Davidson, and win some A-10 Tourney games, the team's season is likely to end in Brooklyn. Right now, an NIT bid does not even look like it is in the cards.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

If the students are having fun and want to rush the court who cares the it would be the best win this year. Not a chance I root for Dayton.. I don't give a shit if it kicks them out of the tournament (it won't)... Regardless of if we win or lose Dayton will have a better understanding how we play so yes the next game will be tough. This is the last big home game this year and we need a W!!
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

RF1 wrote:
skwalk47 wrote:IF we do win this game. For the love of god please don't rush the court. This game is going to be close to a pick in Vegas.

Given we hardly ever beat a ranked opponent, I would have no issue if the students rushed the court after a win. They so rarely ever have the opportunity.

A win would be great but I would savor it more if it actually meant something for the season. If URI beats Dayton this Friday, it will likely have no bearing on URI's fortunes in 2015-16. Unless URI were to somehow keep on a roll and beat VCU, Davidson, and win some A-10 Tourney games, the team's season is likely to end in Brooklyn. Right now, an NIT bid does not even look like it is in the cards.
I just feel like rushing the court should be saved for a real upset. This isnt an upset, and it would make us look like its a big deal for us to win at home in a game that is close to 50/50.

Agree that we end in Brooklyn (unless we win that). I dont think even running the table and losing in the finals in Brooklyn gets us in (though that is the only plausible scenario).

For shits and giggles I used RPI Wizzard and had us winning all remaining games, plus 2 neutral court wins against George Mason and George Washington and a neutral court loss to Dayton (to estimate losing in the finals in Brooklyn) and that gets us to RPI 53. Usually that doesnt get us "in" but at that point we would be a hot team so mayyyybe. Realistically our best bet is to get a bye in Brooklyn and see what we can do there.
0 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

The only reason I see for rushing the court is if we hit a last second shot to win the game. That would be a spontaneous rushing, in my opinion. Something similar to the Marquis game against Dayton. Even I was on the court. I still remember Blue Man running all over the place, high fiving as many people as he could. That was fun because it was spontaneous.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

I have my tickets and my pocket pub..

Let's hope for a good crowd and victory..
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Let's GO!!!! This is a must win for these guys. Keep Building the confidence. #FEARTHEMASK
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote:I have my tickets and my pocket pub..

Let's hope for a good crowd and victory..
You gotta love the pocket pub....
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:The only reason I see for rushing the court is if we hit a last second shot to win the game. That would be a spontaneous rushing, in my opinion. Something similar to the Marquis game against Dayton. Even I was on the court. I still remember Blue Man running all over the place, high fiving as many people as he could. That was fun because it was spontaneous.
Well, they hafta win first and while I hope/think it will...it hasn't happened yet. But, if they do...and if we are all to take to heart what some of the long-termers here on the board have been telling us for weeks, this would be a REAL upset. And, regardless of what Vegas says, wins over ranked teams don't come 'round here too often, do they? 1,500 t-shirts should net a few hundred extra fans anyway. Spontaneous or premeditated...rushing would be a great expression of enthusiasm, something everyone could use. Provided no one gets hurt...don't see any downside to it...

GO RHODY!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:The only reason I see for rushing the court is if we hit a last second shot to win the game. That would be a spontaneous rushing, in my opinion. Something similar to the Marquis game against Dayton. Even I was on the court. I still remember Blue Man running all over the place, high fiving as many people as he could. That was fun because it was spontaneous.
Well, they hafta win first and while I hope/think it will...it hasn't happened yet. But, if they do...and if we are all to take to heart what some of the long-termers here on the board have been telling us for weeks, this would be a REAL upset. And, regardless of what Vegas says, wins over ranked teams don't come 'round here too often, do they? 1,500 t-shirts should net a few hundred extra fans anyway. Spontaneous or premeditated...rushing would be a great expression of enthusiasm, something everyone could use. Provided no one gets hurt...don't see any downside to it...

GO RHODY!
I don't have a problem with the students doing it. I don't think this 59 year old would do it. Like I said, I did it once (as an adult), and that was a spur of the moment thing as I got caught up in the excitement of a buzzer beating won over Dayton
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Funny when you look at Dayton's top 4 scorers (Cooke, Pierre, Pollard, Scoochie), we had recruiting threads on all of them (Pierre & Scoochie might have been on the old board). We were in the top two with Dayton for both Cooke and Pollard.

http://keaneyblue.com/viewtopic.php?f=8 ... ilit=cooke

http://keaneyblue.com/viewtopic.php?f=8 ... it=pollard
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

BFC wrote:Funny when you look at Dayton's top 4 scorers (Cooke, Pierre, Pollard, Scoochie), we had recruiting threads on all of them (Pierre & Scoochie might have been on the old board). We were in the top two with Dayton for both Cooke and Pollard.

http://keaneyblue.com/viewtopic.php?f=8 ... ilit=cooke

http://keaneyblue.com/viewtopic.php?f=8 ... it=pollard
As they say, close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I will be driving up for this one from south Jersey on Friday morning. I give Rhody a 50-50 shot
against Dayton. I have seen all of their games. Dayton's shooting has often resembled the
Rams, great one day, not so good the next. If they are not shooting well and URI has one of
its better shooting games, URI will win. The Rams have to keep Pollard and Pierre and also Mcelvene
off the boards. They haven't been doing well on the defensive boards lately. If they don't play
tough there they will have no chance. Otherwise, URI can match up well against Dayton. I know
many dayton fans are very concerned about this game and there is no chance Dayton overlooks
URI in this game. If URI plays one of its better games they will win, if not it might be the St. Joes
game all over again. I want to see a win. I'm not drving over 500 miles round trip to see a loss
even if it is to my Alma Mater.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

With no Iverson, it's going to be tough to gain a rebounding advantage on this team.

Pierre and Pollard aren't big, but they are very athletic and that will give Watson fits.

If Hassan gets pulled away from the hoop on defense, that's [foul] trouble. Who else do we have?

JT will have to mix it up inside with the bigger bodies.

If we're hitting our 3's, we have a chance. Otherwise, it will be a long night.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:

GO RHODY!
I don't have a problem with the students doing it. I don't think this 59 year old would do it. Like I said, I did it once (as an adult), and that was a spur of the moment thing as I got caught up in the excitement of a buzzer beating won over Dayton
This 53 yo probably won't either...that drop off from the 200 to 100 section is higher than it looks, I'm told.
Will probably also depend on the game itself and the 'effectiveness' of the pocket pub....
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I actually just saw a URI basketball commercial advertising the Dayton game Friday. It aired on Wednesday 02-10-2016 at about 6:55pm on WNAC Fox-64.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Time for a cold one at the Mews!

Happy birthday JT!
0 x
Team Ram-Jam
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Team Ram-Jam »

Blue Man wrote:

There was some reason to play the game, i forget, Herm you have something to say?

0 x
~~~~~~~Follow In game tweets @timmygmagic ~~~~~~~
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

RF1 wrote:
The emergence of Terrell and Garrett recently has been great to see. Very encouraging going into next year. That 3 guard back court of Garrett-EC-Terrell will be very formidable next year. Add in Thompson and Stan Rob pushing for minutes and this is a shaping up to be a very deep back court.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Don't forget Dowtin.

He could be good. Very good.

The biggest question next season, will be how good are the new big guys?
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I like everything I am reading about Dowtin but hopefully with all this depth we won't see too much of him next year.

One thing I do worry about going into next year is continuity. Adding EC, Stan Rob and the four freshmen into the mix will take time. Usually that is fine but the pressure and expectations will be ratcheted up going into year 5 with no tourney bids yet.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Least important point of the night. Should the Rams wear their navy blue uniforms for the game on Friday?
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Everyone who thinks we are contending for an at-large bid raise their hand.....I am looking at the big picture.....if we were in contention for a bid I say win every single game and damn the opponent and the best interests of the conference...but we are not....the more teams in the NCAA's and the further they advance the better for the prestige of the conference which helps us in the long run....when the NCAA's start I root for every A-10 team to keep winning and for every big east team to be bumped immediately....imagine Villanova being a one seed and their fans crowing about how good the conference is.....who needs that....

I forgive you all for your barbs to me and your lack of vision.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Ramulous wrote:Everyone who thinks we are contending for an at-large bid raise their hand.....I am looking at the big picture.....if we were in contention for a bid I say win every single game and damn the opponent and the best interests of the conference...but we are not....the more teams in the NCAA's and the further they advance the better for the prestige of the conference which helps us in the long run....when the NCAA's start I root for every A-10 team to keep winning and for every big east team to be bumped immediately....imagine Villanova being a one seed and their fans crowing about how good the conference is.....who needs that....

I forgive you all for your barbs to me and your lack of vision.
Not asking for forgiveness....everyone's entitled to their opinion. I just don't agree with yours. There is no scenario where winning every game for (fill in the blank amount of time) is not better than 'not winning every game.' Which, I think, is why people continue to root for this team to improve seeding in the A10 for as long as it's possible. To say you don't watch certain games played by one of the best conferences in the country...because you don't like a team or teams in that conference...doesn't mean you're dumb (or that you necessarily have much "vision")...means you seem to be pretty emotional about it, too...like a lot of us...just in a different way.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

unbelievable...just a saw a Rhody Rams basketball ad on CSNNE.....
mark it down....Weds, 2/10, 11:19PM.
They DO advertise on TV, who knew??
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Dustin Hellenga caught an inbound pass from the baseline and hit a 3-pointer at the buzzer Wednesday night, giving resurgent Rhode Island a 65-63 victory over Dayton.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... =240632168
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Ramulous, if we beat Dayton Friday it won't do a damn thing to their tournament seed.
We also play them on the road a few weeks from now where they will probably beat us regardless.
Beating them once will do nothing to them. And losing to them twice in regular season will not help our chances in the A-10 tournament at all
0 x