Game 25: Dayton Friday Feb 12, 7:00PM ESPN2

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Game 25: Dayton Friday Feb 12, 7:00PM ESPN2

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

ramster wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:
ramster wrote:
So you have to ask why was he wide open at the 3 point line?
Who for URI had Davis in the man to man defense? Where was our defender and why wasn't he side by side to Davis?
That is the question. If you are going to not foul in that situation you must play the defense against the 3. Sometimes guys all hit the boards or try to help out down low - but can't lose your man and leave him alone at the 3 point line - especially a marksman like Davis
It was a funky play. Martin sagged off Pierre to almost play free safety as the initial guy got ]close to the rim. To be fair, that's what Hass is good at. He would have cleaned up any shot at the rim. The problem was the pass out was so good. Pierre was probably the hardest pass to make from there. Four then left Davis and closed out on Pierre who was wide open and made the great pass. Four did the right thing. Hass probably did the right thing because you want him to challenge the 2 point shot if it goes up. I guess Four could have clung to Davis but that's the right rotation and Pierre is close to 40%, himself. Damned if you do, I suppose. Like I said before, sometimes you just tip your cap. They did everything perfectly.
Davis is also 6'4" and would have gotten the shot off even if Four was on him.
But not sure, GBG, why it would have been ok for Four to leave Davis - shouldn't he have stayed with him and even tried to prevent the pass from going to him? Basically left the best 3 point shooter on the team completely unguarded.
I don't know. Pierre is 40% on the year and Davis is 32%. We are 25 games in. Maybe Davis is the better shooter but I just don't think you stick to Davis to give a 40% guy (over four years) as good a look as that. Either look is so clean that either one is more likely than not to go in but I won't fault Four on that. Especially, as has been said, DH emphasized no threes in the huddle. Really, we have many days to think about it. Four just saw a really good shooter get the ball for the win and had a millisecond to react.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Gonebarongone wrote:
ramster wrote:
So you have to ask why was he wide open at the 3 point line?
Who for URI had Davis in the man to man defense? Where was our defender and why wasn't he side by side to Davis?
That is the question. If you are going to not foul in that situation you must play the defense against the 3. Sometimes guys all hit the boards or try to help out down low - but can't lose your man and leave him alone at the 3 point line - especially a marksman like Davis
It was a funky play. Martin sagged off Pierre to almost play free safety as the initial guy got ]close to the rim. To be fair, that's what Hass is good at. He would have cleaned up any shot at the rim. The problem was the pass out was so good. Pierre was probably the hardest pass to make from there. Four then left Davis and closed out on Pierre who was wide open and made the great pass. Four did the right thing. Hass probably did the right thing because you want him to challenge the 2 point shot if it goes up. I guess Four could have clung to Davis but that's the right rotation and Pierre is close to 40%, himself. Damned if you do, I suppose. Like I said before, sometimes you just tip your cap. They did everything perfectly.
Davis is also 6'4" and would have gotten the shot off even if Four was on him.
But not sure, GBG, why it would have been ok for Four to leave Davis - shouldn't he have stayed with him and even tried to prevent the pass from going to him? Basically left the best 3 point shooter on the team completely unguarded.

I don't know. Pierre is 40% on the year and Davis is 32%. We are 25 games in. Maybe Davis is the better shooter but I just don't think you stick to Davis to give a 40% guy (over four years) as good a look as that. Either look is so clean that either one is more likely than not to go in but I won't fault Four on that. Especially, as has been said, DH emphasized no threes in the huddle. Really, we have many days to think about it. Four just saw a really good shooter get the ball for the win and had a millisecond to react.

But GBG, Davis led the entire A10 in 3 point shooting as a Freshman. Sure his percentage is not as good as Pierre's this year but why leave either one open? I don't understand why Four wouldn't stay with his man. If you are going to give a wide open 3 then you might as well give a wide open 2 and get the ball back to try to win with the game tied.

If our strategy results in a SG to be left wide open then I go back to dumping that strategy and foul sending the guy to the FT line for 2 shots.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Have we learned nothing since the Davidson game ?

My goodness; you guard the 3 point line.

I was at the game..

URI was undisciplined on the play

All scrambling around as if they were on a clay court in the French open

emBARONsing
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

URI under Hurley has been one of the very best teams in the nation at running the opposition off the 3 pt line, which is not only measured in 3pt% allowed, but by measuring what percentage of opponent shots come from 3pt range. They've had a couple breakdowns in key spots (Davidson, Dayton) and so now people assume we suck at defending 3's. That's not the case.

I believe that is one of Hurley's biggest focal points of his defensive strategy - to not allow the opponent too many good looks from deep, which is why he rarely-if-ever plays zone, a defense that by nature gives up more and better looks from outside.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

ElmCityRhody wrote:Have we learned nothing since the Davidson game ?

My goodness; you guard the 3 point line.

I was at the game..

URI was undisciplined on the play

All scrambling around as if they were on a clay court in the French open

emBARONsing
It was really just Hassan leaving Pierre that was the breakdown. And I would argue you want him coming from the weakside like that in a two point game.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Next year will be a return to great 3% because EC is tall. Along with CT. Dowtin. Robinson. All tall. Terrell obviously great defender.

Four's help defense is always a day late and a dollar short. Leaves a gap.

Jarvis will be a better defender when hes not that #1 option on offense. He was tenacious last year and will be again. I think he wasnt as good this year but only because he has more responsibilities.

I feel like CT is liable to get a fewfouls at the 3line because he is just crazy.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

sf2010 wrote:URI under Hurley has been one of the very best teams in the nation at running the opposition off the 3 pt line, which is not only measured in 3pt% allowed, but by measuring what percentage of opponent shots come from 3pt range. They've had a couple breakdowns in key spots (Davidson, Dayton) and so now people assume we suck at defending 3's. That's not the case.

I believe that is one of Hurley's biggest focal points of his defensive strategy - to not allow the opponent too many good looks from deep, which is why he rarely-if-ever plays zone, a defense that by nature gives up more and better looks from outside.
no,
I am not saying at all we suck at defending the 3, but we missed on that instance. That is a fact. Somebody missed his defensive assignment.
But my major point is do not even give the opportunity for a 3. NONE. NADA. ZILCH. It's just like you do not foul the player going for two to give him a chance at a 3 point play to go ahead. You don't give Dayton a chance to shoot a 3. Whether the guy shoots 45%, 90% or 10%. Give the 2 points at the foul line and go win the game in the last 15 seconds - and if you miss you still have a chance in OT at home.

This defending the defense that it was just a great pass by Dayton only reinforces my belief in fouling.

I want to win the game. Go for the jugular. You have a chance to beat the 15th ranked team in the nation - we had this game.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I usually like the Team Rankings site to see rankings on this sort of stuff, defending the three etc....honestly, to lazy at this point in our season to check that out....not a good place to be....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I posted those stats in the Duquesne thread.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

In that situation the only thing you do not allow is the 3 or an and 1. There is no reason for Hassan to leave Pierre that makes any sense.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

ramster wrote:
sf2010 wrote:URI under Hurley has been one of the very best teams in the nation at running the opposition off the 3 pt line, which is not only measured in 3pt% allowed, but by measuring what percentage of opponent shots come from 3pt range. They've had a couple breakdowns in key spots (Davidson, Dayton) and so now people assume we suck at defending 3's. That's not the case.

no,
I am not saying at all we suck at defending the 3, but we missed on that instance. That is a fact. Somebody missed his defensive assignment.
But my major point is do not even give the opportunity for a 3. NONE. NADA. ZILCH. It's just like you do not foul the player going for two to give him a chance at a 3 point play to go ahead. You don't give Dayton a chance to shoot a 3. Whether the guy shoots 45%, 90% or 10%. Give the 2 points at the foul line and go win the game in the last 15 seconds - and if you miss you still have a chance in OT at home.

This defending the defense that it was just a great pass by Dayton only reinforces my belief in fouling.

I want to win the game. Go for the jugular. You have a chance to beat the 15th ranked team in the nation - we had this game.
Sorry Ramster...you're not going to win this argument. If a coach intentionally "unintentionally" fouls the other team while up being up 2 points in the closing seconds, he would get killed by his fan base, the media, his players, etc. (He wouldn't have a job for long with a decision making like that.) Your team has the lead. Get a stop and win the game.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I agree with PM cubed....I see what you're saying, ramster, but no one ever fouls on purpose up 2.
They shoulda/coulda done a better job preventing the 3, but can't see fouling as part of the equation.
Intentional foul there would've drawn probably the same size "are you kidding me" crowd groan....
Who knows, though...maybe you're ahead of your time...
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I could almost see teams doing that to US, fouling up 2, as long as they foul one of our ace FT sharpshooters such as Akele and KI.

Good odds play by them..... :(
0 x