Game 25: Dayton Friday Feb 12, 7:00PM ESPN2

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: Game 25: Dayton Friday Feb 12, 7:00PM ESPN2

Unread post by bigappleram »

I don't get it, assuming JG was gassed as you say, did you want Dan to take out our most valuable player in the last two minutes or change the rules so he could sub in a new shooter?
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

bigappleram wrote:I don't get it, assuming JG was gassed as you say, did you want Dan to take out our most valuable player in the last two minutes or change the rules so he could sub in a new shooter?
No BAR I want him to call a time out before Garrett goes the line to discuss the defensive play after JG makes 2 free throws.

We had 2 timeouts left if I recall correctly.

There was zero chance that shot was going in without a rest on the bench.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote:57, years ago we were talking about whether or not JB's assistants had any in-game input.

I guess it's fair to ask, does any of Dan's have any?

Or does Dan run the entire show during games?

Don't know either way, but in situations like you just mentioned, a little advice might help?
Rambone don't know if you ever coached or not this is basic coaching.

The writers for the movie Hoosiers knew it for gods sake!!

Unfortunately Harrick, a brilliant bench coach made the same mistake, still going nuts about foul calls when we still had a great chance to win that game and go to the final four. Wheeler crawled up to the line. No chance. Sometimes you lose your mind as a coach or flat out choke just like players do. Should not happen but it does.

Good point by you with Bobby H on the bench we would have had a timeout....does any one else on the bench have the balls to tell Dan to call it? Dunno.

Hell if I had been behind the bench I know I would have been screaming at him TIMEOUT!!!!!!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I still remember those foul shots.

All of them barely hit the front rim.

He [Tyson] was gassed, no doubt.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote:I still remember those foul shots.

All of them barely hit the front rim.

He [Tyson] was gassed, no doubt.

Yep one of the best bench coaches in the history of the game lost his mind and choked.

That team should have won the national championship.....

We remain on the long road back to get in that position again.

Was Mobely fouled?

I dunno....
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The whole thing started to unravel when Lee made that prayer 3.

Then the turnover, and the phantom foul on Clay....then Cat gets fouled but no call as he was about to pass it to Tyson for a breakaway layup.....

Then we throw it away when ARD and Tyson get crossed up.....

Why does it still seem like yesterday?
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Thanks for the reminders guys--I had forgotten how many ex-college coaches we had contributing on this board. Maybe you guys should band together and go to the next coach's radio show and help him out. I nominate Rod to be the leader of this group based on his criticizing Hurley and 50 years of following the team which means he knows everything in the world about melding a team and getting them to play at a high level.
He can remind the coach as to how we compare to PC and remind Dan of how great of a job Cooley has done developing his players compared to what Dan has done. If you all recall that was part of one of Rod's recent rants. I asked him at the time what Cooley had done to accomplish this feat. I hate to do this but I have to borrow one of Rod's words--the answer has been "crickets".
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

rambone 78 wrote:57, years ago we were talking about whether or not JB's assistants had any in-game input.

I guess it's fair to ask, does any of Dan's have any?

Or does Dan run the entire show during games?

Don't know either way, but in situations like you just mentioned, a little advice might help?

Our Assistant Coaches definitely have in-game input. In fact, the Assistant coaches are the 'scout' for games on a rotating basis. Coach Cox had the scout for the Dayton game. You'll often see whichever Assistant Coach who has the scout for the game up and yelling out the the players just as much as Dan.

I also have witnessed many times in-game where Dan will turn to his Assistants and get their input on taking a TO, substitutions, etc. There is a significant amount of interaction all game long, it may not always be obvious on TV or even if you are there live, but it's happening.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Thanks, RJ.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

luke wrote:I don't know, but it sure sounds like a lot of woe as me and poor us.
Our team will never ever win a big game. we might as well give up.
Get over it. Things change, guys. IMO Hurley knows what he is
doing as a coach. .
This is what drives me nuts. Why do you say that? Because his last name his Hurley? He's proven he can recruit talent. He's proven he can install a defense. He has not proven he can coach up an offense, make players better, or close out a close game. Whether it's X, X+EC, EC, or these guys. Not even close. And the learning curve doesn't look all that promising. Making the same mistakes over and over again.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

eli#10 wrote:Thanks for the reminders guys--I had forgotten how many ex-college coaches we had contributing on this board. Maybe you guys should band together and go to the next coach's radio show and help him out. I nominate Rod to be the leader of this group based on his criticizing Hurley and 50 years of following the team which means he knows everything in the world about melding a team and getting them to play at a high level.
He can remind the coach as to how we compare to PC and remind Dan of how great of a job Cooley has done developing his players compared to what Dan has done. If you all recall that was part of one of Rod's recent rants. I asked him at the time what Cooley had done to accomplish this feat. I hate to do this but I have to borrow one of Rod's words--the answer has been "crickets".
I nominate you for Chairman of the Board of the Dan Hurley Excuse Factory (DHEF).

It would make sense to define some metrics for measuring success of the URI men's basketball program. I have some questions for the board members.

1. How do you define success for the program?

2. How do you rank the following coaches:
Dan Hurley, Jim Baron, Bobby Hurley, Al Skinner, Tom Penders, Jim Harrick, Rick Pitino, Jerry D.,
Ed Cooley, Brendan Malone

3. True or False? The buzz around the program and Dan's early recruiting success with EC Mathews and Hassan Martin had little to do with the fact that Bobby Hurley was part of the program.

4. True or False? URI has better than adequate facilities for the men's basketball team.

5. Until now, the Hurley era at URI has:
a. greatly exceeded my expectations
b. somewhat exceeded my expectations
c. met my expectations
d. has been somewhat below expectations
e. has been far below expectations

6. True or false: I would recommend that URI once again give Dan Hurley a raise and contract extension after this season.

7. True or false: URI will be selected for the NCAA tournament in 2017.

8. True or false: URI will be selected for the NCAA tournament in 2018.

9. True or false: URI will retain Dan Hurley as head basketball coach after winning an NCAA tournament game.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bigappleram wrote:I can see the adversity has brought out the best in this board. Its the herd mentality, pick a side.
You are either a pom pom waiver or on the Dan Hurley death watch.
The incessant and repetitive harping on each side of the argument is tiring.
This has been one of the most disappointing seasons as a long time URI fan, no doubt.
Our coach is a work in progress, but I am very happy he is our work in progress.
Situational coaching, dealing with the refs, lamenting ECs loss too long, all are blemishes on his record this year.
But I bet he would admit that to you and will get better from it, and I am confident that the future is still bright under his watch.
Good take, but to get to #hottake status, you're going to have to add in some insults and name calling. Elevate your game, bar.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

GBG, the making the same mistakes over and over again, and the inability to close out close games, is what concerns me the most. No matter the talent level, since day 1 Dan has been losing the close ones, and it's not getting any better. Different players, same results. The one constant is the coach.

There must be improvement next season, or else I shudder to think what this board will be like.

We all have our thoughts and opinions on the matter, but so far, there doesn't seem to be any answers forthcoming.

It's going to take a lot more than just EC coming back or new recruits coming in. Again, all teams play a certain number of close games. With our defense, we are in even more of them than most teams.

That makes it even more important, that we win a good number of them. If we want to Dance, I would say we have to win at least two thirds of them. Without bringing someone in who can help on late game situations, I doubt DH will be able to do it.

And that's troubling, because I think we will have more than enough talent on the floor next season to make the tournament.

And Ace, I can say it without insults and name calling.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

This is ridiculous, Eli fan boy good manning can't even make a single post without trolling Rod, I want him on a one week timeout, seriously, if any of the moderators truly want some of the bickering to subside they would encourage fan boy to stop poking the bear! Put this jock streak in timeout!! He has literally trolled Rod ten times in two days and counting...
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

You know what Ace, I and others have said the same things as BAR sans insults and name calling and have been berated for our #hottake!

The insults and name calling going on here is turn about. Nobody (except maybe neil and 67) on this forum can be accused of taking the high road, I've read YOU ALL (and been guilty of) getting snide with other forum members, some are more subtle about it than others, but we're, most of us, smart enough to know when we are getting trolled.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Running Ram wrote:You know what Ace, I and others have said the same things as BAR sans insults and name calling and have been berated for our #hottake!

The insults and name calling going on here is turn about. Nobody (except maybe neil and 67) on this forum can be accused of taking the high road, I've read YOU ALL (and been guilty of) getting snide with other forum members, some are more subtle about it than others, but we're, most of us, smart enough to know when we are getting trolled.

It was a joke and non-partisan. I don't argue any side here anymore. I'll have any conversation on an individual basis, with people with whom I agree or disagree, but the lumping of people together into factions to be beaten into submission is ridiculous. If there have been planning and organizational meetings, then I'm quite out of the loop. I'm just me, not some "you all" member. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to read Kanye's latest Twitter meltdown.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

What I find funny is some lamebrain challenging people
to go to a coaches show and ask Dan questions or
voice their criticisms.
Guess what, I have asked him face to face, tougher
questions than any writer, broadcaster or fan.
I even asked him why he rented and didn't buy, after his first
year here.
I expressed the need for size. Guess what, Koolaide Krew,
he agreed with me.
The night before last year's PC game, I told him, beating PC
would change the entire perspective of how the state and
casual fans view Rhody basketball.
His last remark when he left the Quidnessett banquet
to me, after I'd discussed recruiting with him,
as he was leaving he shouted over to me,
"Rod, I want you to know, I always get what I want."
I've always found that he likes the give and take.
He's actually said, "No softballs. Ask me some harder questions."
I asked him about confronting the refs.
He said as his teams got better he'd calm down and just coach.
He's open and honest.
I may not agree on end of game play or whatever,
but I do respect the man himself.
So, maybe those of you who are message board snipers,
hiding behind your keyboards, should grow a set,
take a trip to the next coaches show, and ask
your questions and tell him your concerns.
Dan won't bite you. I promise.
Sorry, I forgot, you have no concerns.
Everything is beautiful.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rodfromcranston wrote: I expressed the need for size. Guess what, Koolaide Krew,
he agreed with me.
Of course he did. It's the one recruiting miss, I think. If you really want to make yourself crazy, picture Chris Silva added to what should have been this year's full roster. Or even Aflakpui. Or if Freeman or even earlier Foreman could have seen the future at RU and chosen differently.
rodfromcranston wrote: I've always found that he likes the give and take.
He's actually said, "No softballs. Ask me some harder questions."
I asked him about confronting the refs.
He said as his teams got better he'd calm down and just coach.
He's open and honest.
Even to a fault, some may say, but overall, I think that's a fair assessment. He's way harder on himself than he is on his players or than anyone on here is of him.

My frustration is I feel like we were really close to never even having to have these conversations.
Last edited by ace 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Funny, I was thinking of Chris Silva.
I looked up his stats at South Carolina, and
thought what a boon he would have been here.
Yes, Dan is hard on himself and he's said how much losses kill
him, and he doesn't sleep because of them.
Nobody is calling for his head by pointing out things
that he is already cognisant of.
None of this is personal.
As fans, we want him to be the best coach he can be.
Pretending things are copasetic is something he doesn't do,
but some here think we should do.
He's more frustrated that any of us are.
Take that to the bank.
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

860_rhody wrote:What an awful shot for the last possession...DH has a lot of work to do.

According to quotes I have seen play was run for Jared but he passed instead of going to the hole.
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
kal-65
Jeff Kent

Unread post by kal-65 »

for those short on history ,Dayton was a repeat of last years' Davidson and st joes ' games

I am amazed that posters on this board cannot agree to-----disagree
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Gonebarongone wrote:
luke wrote:I don't know, but it sure sounds like a lot of woe as me and poor us.
Our team will never ever win a big game. we might as well give up.
Get over it. Things change, guys. IMO Hurley knows what he is
doing as a coach. .
This is what drives me nuts. Why do you say that? Because his last name his Hurley? He's proven he can recruit talent. He's proven he can install a defense. He has not proven he can coach up an offense, make players better, or close out a close game. Whether it's X, X+EC, EC, or these guys. Not even close. And the learning curve doesn't look all that promising. Making the same mistakes over and over again.
So you don't think Jarvis and Jared have improved since arriving at URI? Jarvis was what, a top 250 recruit and is now playing as one of the top 2-3 PGs in the league as a Soph? Jared Terell isn't showing an improved offensive game, better finishing at the rim, more polished offensively?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I'll go a bit further...Jalen Lindsey and Kyron Cartwright came in with about the same recruiting rankings as Jared and Jarvis. Who has improved more since their first D1 game?
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

It's personal for me!

I personally want to win now ha ha!

Despite the horrific ending I can't deny that I saw a great D1 basketball game the other night. Highly skilled players wearing our shirts playing with heart and effort against an elite opponent.

I just saw a different ending playing out. I see our team crashing the elite party!

Finish!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Nobody can say we aren't close. Agonizingly close.

And Dan knows it, as Rod said.

He's trying to figure out why we can't close out games.

I'm also sure he knows it's on him to figure it out.

The frustration is wearing on us all.

Remember the TV show "The Closer?" He needs to find one.....
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

hrstrat57 wrote:Despite the horrific ending I can't deny that I saw a great D1 basketball game the other night. Highly skilled players wearing our shirts playing with heart and effort against an elite opponent.
"Aside from that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"
:)

But I hear ya, pushing aside the mountain of frustration from this season, I still find the players on this roster very easy to root for.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78 wrote:Nobody can say we aren't close. Agonizingly close.

And the issue is not that we lose some close games. The issue is WE LOSE ALMOST ALL THE CLOSE GAMES.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RF1 wrote:

And the issue is not that we lose some close games. The issue is WE LOSE ALMOST ALL THE CLOSE GAMES.
In two possession games (6 points or less): this year, 3-9 and last year, 8-6. Wins/losses/opponents aside... any idea how that number of games compares to the average?
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Two things and then I want to stay away from the board today, got to get things accomplished haha

One, as an opinion based in observation, I believe player development under DH is very good, maybe even better than very good and I think most every player that chooses to go with DH as their guide makes a great choice, probably (very likely) learns great and important things about life and responsibilities as well as bettering their games. As it relates to game time performance I think its worth thinking about the difference between being intense and just tense, but that is a different issue in my book. I'm extremely happy with the quality of experience I believe the players have under DH's guidance.

And two,
rodfromcranston wrote: Yes, Dan is hard on himself and he's said how much losses kill
him, and he doesn't sleep because of them.
Nobody is calling for his head by pointing out things
that he is already cognisant of.
None of this is personal.
As fans, we want him to be the best coach he can be.
Pretending things are copasetic is something he doesn't do,
but some here think we should do.
He's more frustrated that any of us are.
Take that to the bank.
This ^ is tantamount to one of the most frustrating points I've tried to make on this forum, conservatively I've asked a dozen times of certain forum members to speculate what they might feel DH (and other coaches) thinks about certain issues and funny I think I got a response once, after pleading for discussion and discourse that includes addressing the actual points made without acting as if I'm off my rocker for thinking such things. Even that is fine, feel like I'm off my rocker, but address the points made in the posts. As I've discussed, Dan often validates many of my concerns by speaking to them himself. His ability to look inward and attempt to self-correct, this is an indicator of DH's acumen and intellect.

I've never once verbalized, written or even thought Dan should be on the "hot seat," so there is absolutely no reason to attack me or defend Dan over such shared concerns. Conversely I need to get better at taking a 'high road' and not 'feeling' like I'm being attacked for my thoughts.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The 3 wins in close games this season didn't come against very good teams.

Against anybody good, it's 0-fer.

Even the best teams will lose a close one against good competition once in a while. It happens.

We never win ONE.

And that is nothing short of amazing.
0 x
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

The bigger issue I think to some on this board, is the record against quality opponents. 1-13 over the past 2 years against the RPI top 50 (Not counting Dan's first 2 years here with a low-talent squad), and more importantly, a 1-8 record against those teams in 2 possession games.

Now, this season has been a wash in my own head/reality. That begun 9 minutes into our first game. Believe me, it's made this season a lot easier to handle. But, I can understand the frustration of a lot on this board due to the records mentioned above.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

ace wrote:
RF1 wrote:

In two possession games (6 points or less): this year, 3-9 and last year, 8-6. Wins/losses/opponents aside... any idea how that number of games compares to the average?
Everything in life is compared to the average but here in college basketball the only measure should be against the NCAA Tournament teams. Even if you wanted to be more fair in terms of creating a figure you could compare that record against the last ___ At-large bids in order to exclude dominant teams that pull the average into the stratosphere.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:
ace wrote:
RF1 wrote:And the issue is not that we lose some close games. The issue is WE LOSE ALMOST ALL THE CLOSE GAMES.
Everything in life is compared to the average but here in college basketball the only measure should be against the NCAA Tournament teams. Even if you wanted to be more fair in terms of creating a figure you could compare that record against the last ___ At-large bids in order to exclude dominant teams that pull the average into the stratosphere.
I'm not sure if I'm being clear or not, but I'm not talking about the win/loss records here. I'm curious about the actual number of close games, regardless of outcome, that teams in general play.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

ace wrote:
RF1 wrote:

The criticism is the inability to win close games in the games URI needs to start winning. Beating Brown and Iona in OT? Not so much. Against top 50/100 comp in four years (adjusted for location), URI is 7-37. Now, of course, many of those games were early when they were outmanned. But in two possession games against those same teams, he is 3-23. Let that sink in for a second. In games that were still games in the final minute against teams Rhody wants to measure themselves against, they have won three out of 26 stinking games. From there, it becomes very subjective. My personal eye test (I do not ask anyone to share this with me) is that his whole coaching package plays a role in that. The offensive sets are very predictable and sometimes he is in complete meltdown vs. the refs. There are other reasons but I do not see URI taking the leap we all want until that changes.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

BPR2010 wrote:The bigger issue I think to some on this board, is the record against quality opponents. 1-13 over the past 2 years against the RPI top 50 (Not counting Dan's first 2 years here with a low-talent squad), and more importantly, a 1-8 record against those teams in 2 possession games.
Yes, absolutely. I agree. If it's the first brutal part of an eventual regress to the mean, we are all going to be very happy the next few seasons. If it's a fundamental coach/execution problem, that's a huge concern.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Joe wrote:4 put up that crappy shot with 8 seconds left, plenty of time to pass it off for a better look. Also, we had a timeout left which DH could've used once the play fell apart. Unfortunate, but predictable ending. Really fun game to watch though, and considering that this game didn't have a ton of significance considering that our only chance at a bid is the A10 tourney, I'm not really too upset by the loss. Ignoring the first couple of minutes and the last 2 or 3 minutes, our guys played really good.
Just for the record, DH CANNOT use the timeout. New rule this year, coaches can only call timeout during dead ball. Once the ball in play, only the players can call timeout.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

GBG and Ace, that's how I feel too.

It's more than just missing players. That 3-23 record isn't a coincidence. Dan's end of game coaching methods are an abject fail.

Expecting a huge turnaround starting next season, well I don't see it, and that's what is even more frustrating.

We know Dan is very aware of what's wrong.

The question is, does he or will he, find the answers? Does he need help in finding those answers?

I would like to see some progress made THIS season. So far, nothing.....
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

After a foul is call is a deadball period.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

rodfromcranston wrote:After a foul is call is a deadball period.
The ball was dead before Garrett stepped to the line sucking wind and threw up a 1/1 brick!

Huge fail!

You could debate a bit whether Garrett should call timeout or the coach regardless = disastrous.

Not me, it's on the HC 100%

I expect it won't happen again.

I keep hammering this because it cost us the game and it's basic, basic stuff.

It made me freaking crazy!
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

hrstrat57 wrote:
The ball was dead before Garrett stepped to the line sucking wind and threw up a 1/1 brick!

Huge fail!

You could debate a bit whether Garrett should call timeout or the coach regardless = disastrous.

Garrett's miss (1:19 left) on the first shot of a one and one was also AFTER he had earlier missed (12:14 left) BOTH ft attempts for a shooting foul call.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

RF1 wrote:
hrstrat57 wrote:

Huge fail!

Garrett's miss (1:19 left) on the first shot of a one and one was also AFTER he had earlier missed (12:14 left) BOTH ft attempts for a shooting foul call.
Thus my going freaking crazy!!!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

A lot of times, it's the little things that cost a team a game.

Like the above, and failure to box out during FT's, which cost us the UMass game.

The coaches AND the players are making them.

Too many times.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

They can't regress to the mean because DH at URI hasn't been there. So there is nowhere to go back to.

I think the team will see a bump just from another year of maturity and the exit of players that graduate/leave early from other teams.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Hurley was 16-11 in two possession games during his time at Wagner. Has he gotten worse as a game manager since coming here, is he not an A10 level game manager, or is there something else at play?

Considering the stark contrast between last year (8-6) and this year (3-9) in close games, I would say it's mostly a personnel issue, namely the absence of EC's offense throughout the game and the absence of TJ as another very good defender that we could deploy.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Huh. We were 8-6 in close games last season, as Ace said. Not great, but heading in the right direction at least.

This year, 3-9. That's regressing, all right.

For us to Dance next year, we need to win AT LEAST 60-65% of our close games.

How many close games will we be in?

Probably at least half of them, just like this season.

RR2, I agree with the first part of your post.

The second, not so much. As has been hashed over here a million times, yes the loss of EC has hurt a little, but he's not the only reason we're losing these games.

We should have a better picture of DH's game manager capabilities by this time next season. Again I think there's plenty of evidence by now, that he's lacking those capabilities, but some of course do not agree.

If we are still pissing away games like this next season, then the answer is obvious.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

I like no love the personnel on this club. Skilled, gritty and no quit in them. There are positives here.
I love the way Berry comes in and plays quality minutes in a limited role. As we discussed I love the great improvement in the play of Garrett and Terrell. I love that we identified McGlynn's shots were four inches long and fixed it. I love the way Martin has fought through obvious injury to still perform at a high-level. Wonders have been done with KI, he is all in.

It's basic coaching mistakes and inability to execute fundamentals that is maddening. Often it has been 39 minutes of inspired play only to have a brain fart or a fundamental lack of execution. The dropped rebound on the foul shot at the Mullin Center as pointed out by Rambone78 is a sad example.

The positive me thinks it gets fixed, but man this club is killing me!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Mistakes made at the end of close games are always magnified.

They are the ones people mostly talk about if [when] we lose.

Other teams make mistakes too, we're not alone in that regard.

But the ones we make are KILLERS.

Missed FT's. Bad passes, and playing hero ball. Players out of position on defense.

Standing around watching instead of moving and wanting the ball.

Coaching errors like trying to protect a lead too early, by playing prevent offense.

A whole truckload of things. I guess I'll add taking bad shots and just plain missing open shots.

That's what is depressing. It's not just one thing that beats us. It's something different every game.

Take your pick. Like Rod has said, what will it be THIS time?

We are the living embodiment of Murphy's Law.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Most teams hover around .500 in close games - that's the national average. If they're above .500 they've been lucky. Under = unlucky. Based on URI's 3-9 mark this year, it's easy to see why they rank low in terms of luck on KenPom's scale.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

This thread reminds me of the most recent Republican debate.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Could have been worse.
Could resemble the Dems with a
soon to be indicted vs. a socialist who wants
to give everything away.
0 x