Game 25: Dayton Friday Feb 12, 7:00PM ESPN2

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Game 25: Dayton Friday Feb 12, 7:00PM ESPN2

Unread post by luke »

I don't know, but it sure sounds like a lot of woe as me and poor us.
Our team will never ever win a big game. we might as well give up.
Get over it. Things change, guys. IMO Hurley knows what he is
doing as a coach. Right now maybe the players aren't quite ready
to beat the best teams. It doesn't mean they won't be ready as
soon as Tuesday or maybe as late as next season, but I believe it
is coming. I think we should stop feeling sorry for ourselves. Stuff
happens, but as 208 says it doesn't have anything to do with what
happened 20 years ago.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Luke, the first stage is for fans to internalize mediocrity. "Why does this happen to us?", "We are cursed", "We will never win". The second stage if wins don't come is .......Time For Change....
0 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: -I didn't ask for results from Dan's first year here...just like I wouldn't demand results from this year's situation.
Agree...

There is 0 correlation between the current URI bball situation and past seasons that happened 50 years ago... I hate it when people complain about past failures and how that somehow relates to this year's seriously unlucky injury-infested season... Non-daily readers of the board like myself come on and notice a bunch of "fans" crying and ridiculing the coach that saved this team... On Friday night I had an extra 3 tickets and gave them to my friends, we went to the game, had a lot of fun, was disappointed by the final ending, and moved on about 20 minutes after the final horn.. That would be the life of a casual fan, and it's a lot better then relying your happiness on the success of a NCCA basketball team. Sorry, reality...

*** QUEUE THE FLAMING ***
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Joe wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: -I didn't ask for results from Dan's first year here...just like I wouldn't demand results from this year's situation.
Agree...

There is 0 correlation between the current URI bball situation and past seasons that happened 50 years ago... I hate it when people complain about past failures and how that somehow relates to this year's seriously unlucky injury-infested season... Non-daily readers of the board like myself come on and notice a bunch of "fans" crying and ridiculing the coach that saved this team... On Friday night I had an extra 3 tickets and gave them to my friends, we went to the game, had a lot of fun, was disappointed by the final ending, and moved on about 20 minutes after the final horn.. That would be the life of a casual fan, and it's a lot better then relying your happiness on the success of a NCCA basketball team. Sorry, reality...

Don't put Dan that high up by saying he saved this team. Remember, 2 years prior to his arrival we lost to NC at MSG in the NIT. I had super high expectations when he was hired. He hasn't in 4 years exceeded what he followed just 2 years prior. Which is why he was hired. To exceed a final four NIT appearance.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Yeah, resignation is setting in.

I think I'll derive my "entertainment" from reading the posters on this board tear each other to pieces.

This is about as bad as I've ever seen it.

This season needs to end, and soon........

all we are doing is beating a dead horse.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

^^^^
Agree with this post. Best you've had since the day after your accident. Hope you're feeling better.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Thank you Joe--great post. Here's hoping Rod reads it and agrees. That will never happen because he really enjoys his posts about what happened in the past even though those events have virtually no relation to what is happening now.
"Junior"
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Rambone--sorry but I kind of enjoy beating a dead horse / Rod.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

eli#10 wrote:Rambone--sorry but I kind of enjoy beating a dead horse / Rod.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

Rambone, agree and disagree with your post
rambone 78 wrote: This season needs to end, and soon........
Disagree, as a FAN, I have a lot of fun watching games and following the team, and just because the season isn't living up to its high expectations doesn't mean that you can't enjoy the team.
rambone 78 wrote: all we are doing is beating a dead horse.
Agree, there is no use in overanalyzing every single little thing. We play solid all game, certainly good enough to win the game, but towards the end in the last several minutes the other team makes more plays than us. Pretty simple.

eli#10 wrote:Thank you Joe--great post. Here's hoping Rod reads it and agrees. That will never happen because he really enjoys his posts about what happened in the past even though those events have virtually no relation to what is happening now.
"Junior"
Haha, somebody had to say it..
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

"Those who ignore the past are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Yeah, resignation is setting in.

I think I'll derive my "entertainment" from reading the posters on this board tear each other to pieces.

This is about as bad as I've ever seen it.

This season needs to end, and soon........

all we are doing is beating a dead horse.
The old duck and hide , huh.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Terminal frustration has set in.

DH was supposed to be the guy who finally turned things around, as in NCAA tourney appearances.

He was hired to do just that, and not take forever either. Will it happen? Opinions differ. It wasn't supposed to be this way.

So that's biggest frustration #1.

#2 is not just that we are still losing, but how we are losing. I doubt any other program in this country has been subjected to these kind of defeats, over and over again, without beating ANYBODY good.

I mean, I know our history all too well. Even in our best years, there have been frustrating defeats. All I want to see, is win SOME of these games against better teams. With our record against bottom feeders, that should still be enough to make a Dance now and then.

I don't expect some fancy rose garden, or Xavier or Gonzaga type success. There are too many impediments here for that to happen on a regular basis.

I'll be happy with a few dandelions.

Something, anything.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Hey Ellie, you little queen, eat shit and die.
Slimy little maggot.
Joe, whoever the fuck you are,
casual fan means not invested in anything beyond the price
of a ticket.
Go to a movie, same thing.
Don't put those of us down, who actually give a shit.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Ramblinrose wrote:"Those who ignore the past are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana
Doomed to repeat "what"? If I decide to dwell on the past 'non-successes' of the team, instead of looking to the future...will that make them more successful? Great saying for politics, social, or economic events...but maybe a little too serious for sports aka "entertainment"...?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rod, I'm not going to let them get to me.

Let the vultures, jackals, and hyenas rip each other to shreds.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

"Hi, I'm Dan Hurley. My brother is a big name in basketball."
0 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

rodfromcranston wrote:Hey Ellie, you little queen, eat shit and die.
Slimy little maggot.
of a ticket.
See, that's where you're wrong. I have 25 times the knowledge about the team than the average fan might have, and I don't spend all my time on a hate board or go on rants against my fellow FANS OF THE SAME TEAM because they don't agree with me. I get that you're a cranky old fart, but at least realize that other people can closely follow the team and SOMEHOW not cry about everything that goes south. Geez, I don't care because I have the coveted mental toughness to be able to get by, even though my team isn't doing too hot?
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Joe wrote:
Agree...

That's great that you're a casual fan and don't care about winning. Good for you. The truth is though, with all sports there are many fans who want to to see their team succeed and get tired of watching their team fail over and over. This goes for all sports, professional or college. If you're content with watching a good basketball game and don't really care about the outcome then you're hardly a fan of URI and probably more a fan of basketball or just wanting something entertaining.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Joe wrote:
Slimy little maggot.
of a ticket.
See, that's where you're wrong. I have 25 times the knowledge about the team than the average fan might have, and I don't spend all my time on a hate board or go on rants against my fellow FANS OF THE SAME TEAM because they don't agree with me. I get that you're a cranky old fart, but at least realize that other people can closely follow the team and SOMEHOW not cry about everything that goes south. Geez, I don't care because I have the coveted mental toughness to be able to get by, even though my team isn't doing too hot?
Well said...
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Joe wrote:
Slimy little maggot.
of a ticket.
You just earned your participation trophy. But you must have a closet full of them by now.
0 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

josephski wrote:
Joe wrote:
Agree...

That's great that you're a casual fan and don't care about winning. Good for you. The truth is though, with all sports there are many fans who want to to see their team succeed and get tired of watching their team fail over and over. This goes for all sports, professional or college. If you're content with watching a good basketball game and don't really care about the outcome then you're hardly a fan of URI and probably more a fan of basketball or just wanting something entertaining.
That's a fair point, I can respect that. I do care a lot about the team though. I do a good amount of research and I follow the players and the program closely. I want them to win as much as you do, but if they don't win then its not devastating because I know that next year looks bright, and that a run in Brooklyn is never out of the question.
0 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

theblueram wrote:
You just earned your participation trophy. But you must have a closet full of them by now.
Sorry, next time I'll just turn around and bend over when somebody attacks me.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Aw, big boy Joe, such mental toughness that he calls this crapola
and attack.
Cry baby.
This is a discussion board. It's what it's
here for.
Don't like it? Don't read it and don't post.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Joe...regardless of how much research and following that you do...unless you're fussing, crying, ranting and raving when things don't go the team's way....then, you don't really care. You're just saying that for...who knows why. Like me, gone to every game, several road games so far and maybe one more...will go to Brooklyn....but, since I'm not on suicide watch...it's obvious that I don't "really" care.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

So much love around here on this Valentine's Day. I can feel it!
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I was a last straw Kool Aid drinker until Friday loss. Fight and battle all night and then choke it up at the end. It wasn't the players fault. So what happened?

This team should have 20 wins now.

Devastating!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

rodfromcranston wrote:Aw, big boy Joe, such mental toughness
As somebody suggested awhile back, we need a sarcasm font.
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Joe...regardless of how much research and following that you do...unless you're fussing, crying, ranting and raving when things don't go the team's way....then, you don't really care. You're just saying that for...who knows why. Like me, gone to every game, several road games so far and maybe one more...will go to Brooklyn....but, since I'm not on suicide watch...it's obvious that I don't "really" care.
That pretty much sums it up!!
adam914 wrote:So much love around here on this Valentine's Day. I can feel it!
Nothing like a good, clean, productive discussion board with other "fans!"
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Stop trying to be funny...this is serious business. The program is in tatters, which can only mean that...relationships will be crushed, fortunes lost, families separated, ice caps will melt, PC will do 'better than us' (again), everyone will laugh at us, all self-esteem will be lost.... Good grief, man....Don't you even get it??

This NEVER would have happened if we had just paid more attention to history...we are SO doomed...
0 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Stop trying to be funny...this is serious business. The program is in tatters, which can only mean that...relationships will be crushed, fortunes lost, families separated, ice caps will melt, PC will do 'better than us' (again), everyone will laugh at us, all self-esteem will be lost.... Good grief, man....Don't you even get it??

This NEVER would have happened if we had just paid more attention to history...we are SO doomed...
He probably doesn't even cry after losses! Pathetic, not even a real fan.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Believe me Rod no one is invested more than yours truly.
What makes you think you are holier than thou. Please let us all know as it may let us know what makes you tick--doubtful but you never know.
Please go--Friartown is patiently waiting for you to join them. Your posts would be welcome on their board.........
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Joe...regardless of how much research and following that you do...unless you're fussing, crying, ranting and raving when things don't go the team's way....then, you don't really care. You're just saying that for...who knows why. Like me, gone to every game, several road games so far and maybe one more...will go to Brooklyn....but, since I'm not on suicide watch...it's obvious that I don't "really" care.
You are missing the whole point. No one has ever said they don't care. No one has ever said they are done with URI basketball. This is a discussion board and when some try to push a team that does not exist (an NCAA team) and downplay anyone with a differing opinion, you look like a jackass. Be optimistic, but can you just at least be realistic about the team, program, and history of the school?
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
I don't think the history is incredibly important but I think as a fan of a team it's somewhat ignorant to not educate yourself a little about your team's history.

Also I know you don't think the quote "Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it." applies to sports but it absolutely does. Baron coached here for 11 years and didn't make one NCAA tournament. If Hurley can't make the tournament next year then when do we start thinking about a change? We certainly shouldn't wait 11 years again but if we ignore history then everyone here should be willing to give Hurley 11 seasons before we make a change. I do think Hurley will make the tournament next year assuming we have a healthy roster but to completely ignore our program's history is silly.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I can see the adversity has brought out the best in this board. Its the herd mentality, pick a side.
You are either a pom pom waiver or on the Dan Hurley death watch.
The incessant and repetitive harping on each side of the argument is tiring.
This has been one of the most disappointing seasons as a long time URI fan, no doubt.
Our coach is a work in progress, but I am very happy he is our work in progress.
Situational coaching, dealing with the refs, lamenting ECs loss too long, all are blemishes on his record this year.
But I bet he would admit that to you and will get better from it, and I am confident that the future is still bright under his watch.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Wasting your breath, Josephski on
this newbie who is like he should be in Annie,'
singing "THE SUN WILL COME OUT TOMORROW!"
and the human colostomy bag known as Ellie.
BAR as always, brings sanity.
Nothing here is just black and white.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

NYG, do you who Jiggy Williamson is? Silk Owens? Maybe Tommy Garrick? If not, please don't tell me how I should feel about a loss. Thanks!
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

BAR, yes well said, and I guess we will experience more of the above next year as the season unfolds.......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote:I can see the adversity has brought out the best in this board. Its the herd mentality, pick a side.
This has been one of the most disappointing seasons as a long time URI fan, no doubt.
Our coach is a work in progress, but I am very happy he is our work in progress.
Situational coaching, dealing with the refs, lamenting ECs loss too long, all are blemishes on his record this year.
But I bet he would admit that to you and will get better from it, and I am confident that the future is still bright under his watch.
BAR, it is a two sided head. But no one is calling for Dan's head. Yet. He is a young coach. We all want him to succeed but this isn't the Patriot league. You don't have forever. There are millions of dollars at stake here.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

bigappleram wrote:I can see the adversity has brought out the best in this board. Its the herd mentality, pick a side.
Good stuff right here, this is basically exactly how I feel as well. Thanks for being way better at putting it into words then I am.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

I've differed with Rod through the years. But I bow to him and to Neil on their knowledge of the program. I've got 40 years invested and have tempered my enthusiasm since April 1, 1999 ... the day Harrick left, then didnt, then did.
I'm hoping Hurley makes huge strides next season. Hurley has had a season of bad luck and bad coaching.
I felt some buzz and excitement when Hurley arrived. I'm afraid that has diminished recently. And it's evident in overall attendance. Hurley has done good things ...next year he needs to produce.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

To be fair most of the major topics on this board end up like that. The last topic being in the offseason about whether Hurley would bring in a big man. Seemed most were either on the side labeled as "negative nancies" because they didn't think Hurley would be able to bring a big in or you were on the side of the "kool-aid drinkers" who thought Hurley would be able to get it done.

And you're absolutely right about our coach being a work in progress and we have yet to see the finished product. That's why it's frustrating when some posters act like we have no right to criticize Hurley. No one has called for Hurley to be fired and everyone has acknowledged the fact we're in a better position now than when Barron left. The point of this message board is to discuss the good and bad of this team yet some people only want to discuss the good.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

A lot of good points about Dan on this thread.

I too am hopeful he improves as a coach. He's worked on his in game demeanor, which is a start.

He has to really improve on his situational coaching, however.

He's got time, but he doesn't have forever.

Ultimate responsibility for this program's success or failure rests with him, and no one else.
Last edited by rambone 78 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:
You are missing the whole point. No one has ever said they don't care. No one has ever said they are done with URI basketball. This is a discussion board and when some try to push a team that does not exist (an NCAA team) and downplay anyone with a differing opinion, you look like a jackass. Be optimistic, but can you just at least be realistic about the team, program, and history of the school?
LOL...that's perfect...all in one sentence, you downplay the opinion of some that you don't agree with and then criticize them for 'downplaying anyone with a differing opinion." Classic...
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

You can definitely tell it's cold here in RhodyLand and folks are spending a lot of time indoors today! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
theblueram wrote:
LOL...that's perfect...all in one sentence, you downplay the opinion of some that you don't agree with and then criticize them for 'downplaying anyone with a differing opinion." Classic...
Ha, your opinion that this team is an NCAAT team is a friggin joke. So yes, your opinion that this team is going to the tournament and criticizing those who call BS on that is an absolute comic show.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Dude, I didn't say they were an NCAAT team, but am definitely leaving that possibility open, it's why I'm still watching. I'm sure there are 'some' that think maybe it is a NCAAT team. And you have no problem totally dissing them all. But....YOUR opinion is not to be scrutinized in any way. Good grief...
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

What worries me is that some of the situational coaching mistakes are very basic. As I said earlier in the thread to not observe that JG was toast and had no chance of making that foul shot just should not happen. Ever.

The positive outlook is that all the blown games have been sort of a perfect storm and I would expect the lessons DH has painfully learned this year should bode well for next season. Really - what else could go wrong? We have blown games in every way possible!

Also impressive is the coaching work done to instill confidence back into JT and JG. Obvious also is a great coaching job was done in fixing McGlynn's shooting slump.

I expect you McGlynn haters are finally enjoying the tasty crow! Do not forget to spit out the feathers. Dominant performance against arguably the best defensive club in the A10.

Enjoy the crow....
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Dude, I didn't say they were an NCAAT team, but am definitely leaving that possibility open, it's why I'm still watching. I'm sure there are 'some' that think maybe it is a NCAAT team. And you have no problem totally dissing them all. But....YOUR opinion is not to be scrutinized in any way. Good grief...
I watch this team play if they are 0-29.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

57, years ago we were talking about whether or not JB's assistants had any in-game input.

I guess it's fair to ask, does any of Dan's have any?

Or does Dan run the entire show during games?

Don't know either way, but in situations like you just mentioned, a little advice might help?
0 x