Game 24: George Mason Feb 9, 7:00PM OSN

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Game 24: George Mason Feb 9, 7:00PM OSN

Unread post by RoadyJay »

When do the game replays typically become available?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

BFC wrote:
hrstrat57 wrote:Roady Jay a little tv time nice!

All youze who wanted to run McGlynn outta town enjoy your crow feathers....

All his shots were on line just a wee bit strong....worked it out. Good shooters do that.
Counting last night, he's had two good games in A-10 play. Two out of 10. No one has to eat crow just yet.
I think games like last night from Four are to be expected on occasion, and whenever he is hot like that I would ride him. I just think it is wrong to expect that all the time. He isn't that kind of player. And if you aren't getting that kind of shooting, his deficiencies in other areas probably hurt you enough that he shouldn't be getting the kind of minutes he's been getting. That's not really anybody's fault - he is being asked to play a role he isn't suited for and shouldn't be criticized for it, and the coaches' hands are pretty tied considering the short bench.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

We've been talking about this short bench all year. Does our bench get significantly better if EC was playing? Do the dynamics of the team change with McGlynn and Earl at six and seven. Let's face it, if EC was playing the development of Thompson and Akele would be somewhat stunted. This is not a criticism but a question about depth. I don't think Dan was really counting on Iffy, or was he?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RAM67 wrote:We've been talking about this short bench all year. Does our bench get significantly better if EC was playing? Do the dynamics of the team change with McGlynn and Earl at six and seven. Let's face it, if EC was playing the development of Thompson and Akele would be somewhat stunted. This is not a criticism but a question about depth. I don't think Dan was really counting on Iffy, or was he?
I'm sure Dan wasn't planning on playing Iffy all that much. He obviously likes Earl out there more than him and Earl doesn't get very many minutes.
Now there's no question it would've been nice had he stayed to have more practice players and since we've had so many front court injuries.

Ive been hoping that EC's injury could work out as a blessing in disguise since it's given Akele and Chris more minutes.
The only way I would've seen christion get more minutes had EC stayed is if we had actually gone up-tempo with him and Dan would've had to use more bodies.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RAM67 wrote:We've been talking about this short bench all year. Does our bench get significantly better if EC was playing? Do the dynamics of the team change with McGlynn and Earl at six and seven. Let's face it, if EC was playing the development of Thompson and Akele would be somewhat stunted. This is not a criticism but a question about depth. I don't think Dan was really counting on Iffy, or was he?
Was probably counting more on Butts than Iffy
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I doubt that.
Word in spring was Butts was an academic casualty.
Took them a while to confirm that in public,
but they knew it.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

My larger question was point guard. Without Jarvis we're in deep trouble. Was he counting on EC to be the back up to Garret? What's left is a vacuum, that can't be filled with this group.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:I doubt that.
Word in spring was Butts was an academic casualty.
Took them a while to confirm that in public,
but they knew it.
I hope our four '16 recruits are doing well in school. For once, I'd like to see close to a full roster.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

With those four, Stan and if everyone comes back we'll have the full 13.
0 x
HASwatTeam
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HASwatTeam »

Tried to read as much as I could, but to me Dan acting the way he did (which I loved because all the focus was on the players and the game not him) was a complete 180 turn from what we've seen. I can't believe its not all over the nightly news. I love it. Feel like even Dan will find himself coaching more and becoming better from it. To me this is a really, really big deal.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

So, were there any fans wearing masks last night?
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Great game, but the student sections were not filled. With over 5000 living on campus, just a short walk to Ryan why can't we regularly get 1500 of them to come to home games? Why is the URI student body so apathetic?
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

I am so excited about last night's win over George Mason. A home win over a quality opponent...finally, something we can use to show evidence of how good this team really is. I believe we can all agree that the win over GMU has marked the turning point in the season and in the Hurley era at URI. We will remember this game and this win for years to come. This is the kind of win that is noticed by college basketball fans across the country. Huge win...as the 3900 folks in attendance will attest to.

ESPN will be bringing their Gameday set on the road to the Ryan Center in the coming weeks. Can't wait!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Obadiah wrote:Great game, but the student sections were not filled. With over 5000 living on campus, just a short walk to Ryan why can't we regularly get 1500 of them to come to home games? Why is the URI student body so apathetic?
With how poor turnout was across the campus community for the game it is unfair to get after just one segment. Family, friends, students, alumni, boosters, everyone laid an egg last night.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:I am so excited about last night's win over George Mason. A home win over a quality opponent...finally, something we can use to show evidence of how good this team really is. I believe we can all agree that the win over GMU has marked the turning point in the season and in the Hurley era at URI. We will remember this game and this win for years to come. This is the kind of win that is noticed by college basketball fans across the country. Huge win...as the 3900 folks in attendance will attest to.

ESPN will be bringing their Gameday set on the road to the Ryan Center in the coming weeks. Can't wait!
I'm so excited when posters decide to bring nothing of substance to their posts. Why have honest discussion when you can bring nothing to the table?
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Not sure what you're talking about...

I responded to the win over LaSalle with a "yawn" and was criticized for not being excited and supporting the team. Now I'm fired up and finally have belief that the program has turned the corner to become "big time" and you're saying I'm bringing nothing to the board?

If nothing else, I can bring a sense of humor and an ability to keep things in perspective.

Long live Kevin Compton!!!
0 x
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

The Cat!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: I responded to the win over LaSalle with a "yawn" and was criticized for not being excited and supporting the team. Now I'm fired up and finally have belief that the program has turned the corner to become "big time" and you're saying I'm bringing nothing to the board?
There is a very wide range of potential outlooks in between not giving the team any credit or taking any enjoyment from them playing well (even against an inferior opponent) and overreacting to the significance of one win. You and a couple other happy souls did the former. Nobody did the latter.

The long tradition of seemingly unpleasant people coming on the URI basketball message board to tell other people how to be fans and scold them for overreactions they didn't actually have goes back to the projo board days, so maybe it's just time for me to accept it.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:I am so excited about last night's win over George Mason. A home win over a quality opponent...finally, something we can use to show evidence of how good this team really is. I believe we can all agree that the win over GMU has marked the turning point in the season and in the Hurley era at URI. We will remember this game and this win for years to come. This is the kind of win that is noticed by college basketball fans across the country. Huge win...as the 3900 folks in attendance will attest to.

Everyone has a right to his own opinion, but it's unnecessary, in my view, to do it in a snide and condescending manner that mocks the team, the coaches and fans who show more loyalty than you. These are young guys working hard with varying results and your dissing them after one of their finer efforts is not classy at all.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:Not sure what you're talking about...

I responded to the win over LaSalle with a "yawn" and was criticized for not being excited and supporting the team. Now I'm fired up and finally have belief that the program has turned the corner to become "big time" and you're saying I'm bringing nothing to the board?

If nothing else, I can bring a sense of humor and an ability to keep things in perspective.

No, you're being sarcastic and passive aggressive. Also, you have to be funny to bring a sense of humor to the board.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

What, you mean some of us don't bring anything to the board?

What is this, a pot luck dinner?

I'll remember to, next time. :lol:
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:Are they serving chicken finger platters with tater tots at the training table? On game day??
Based on it being called a platter and him getting tots, I'm assuming that came from Albie's. Anyone that goes to Albie's and pro tater tots clearly makes good decisions. Let's see if those decision making skills transfer from take out order skills to the basketball court.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RAM67 wrote:
RAM67 wrote:Just had to change my plans for tonight. Anyone interested in 2 free tickets to tonight's game? PM if interested.
Another Keaney Blue fan has taken the tickets. Hopefully he will be noisy and get aggravated by the calls, as I would have!
I was the lucky forum member, thanks again RAM67! I think I was above average on the noise compared to a lot of the people in the crowd, and outside of the Martin foul a few posters brought up, not a whole lot to get aggravated about with calls. Not really much to add from what other people have already said, but I will say that I liked how every time George Mason made things close we would go on another run to expand the lead until we finally put the game away. We did exactly what we should have done, won comfortably over a worse team at home.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

I thought "Cursey" would be a bigger factor than just a couple of stupid calls. He must not have been feeling well or Bernadette sent him a note after the St Joe's debacle.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

RhowdyRam02 wrote:

No, you're being sarcastic and passive aggressive. Also, you have to be funny to bring a sense of humor to the board.
Sarcasm is not allowed on the board? I must've missed that. I'll read the rulebook next time that says all posts have to be serious, nasty, and accusatory. I would say you have to bring a sense of humor to the board so that you know when somebody is joking or not.

This is friggin' college basketball...it's a game. And this is a message board where opinions, thoughts, comments, ideas are ALL welcome, both positive and negative, as long as people don't get personal calling players names and as long as people don't make stuff up. I don't think I've done any of that. So lighten up and loosen up. You're as tight as Tim Higgins' officiating pants.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

No no no...you're too late, too late. Everyone knows it was the LaSalle game that saved the season and was the turning point and will be remembered for ages to come, not the GMU game. The GMU game is 'just another regular season win' in a string that will stretch to 9. Sorry, PM3...you missed it by a game. :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Ahhh, you're probably right. I was yawning thru the LaSalle game...but that was probably one of the biggest wins in program history.

I gotta get my helmet and bathing suit on. Protect my noggin from the sky falling and be ready to jump off the Newport Bridge into the bay if URI loses to Dayton.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:Ahhh, you're probably right. I was yawning thru the LaSalle game...but that was probably one of the biggest wins in program history.

I gotta get my helmet and bathing suit on. Protect my noggin from the sky falling and be ready to jump off the Newport Bridge into the bay if URI loses to Dayton.
LOL, that's more like it!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:

Sarcasm is not allowed on the board? I must've missed that. I'll read the rulebook next time that says all posts have to be serious, nasty, and accusatory. I would say you have to bring a sense of humor to the board so that you know when somebody is joking or not.

This is friggin' college basketball...it's a game. And this is a message board where opinions, thoughts, comments, ideas are ALL welcome, both positive and negative, as long as people don't get personal calling players names and as long as people don't make stuff up. I don't think I've done any of that. So lighten up and loosen up. You're as tight as Tim Higgins' officiating pants.
Now that's funny - Tim Higgins
Have to laugh when all the complaints hit the old message board about bad officiating.
Timmy Higgins was by far the worst I have seen. This guy even did Final Four's!!!
There were calls that were just absolutely baffling. And this guy did a ton of games for a ton of years!!
It was a joke when you would see Tim on the floor.
I knew a High School Ref that when a Player or Coach complained to him about a call he would tell them "Look, I only make two kinds of calls - those that I see and those that I don't see". He had a way with the Coaches that included some humor, he reffed HS until he was in his late 60's. Guys like that are great because they know the game, they know how to relate to the players and coaches and they don't bring attention to their job because they are good at it. Tim Higgins was horrible yet he survived for 35-40 years. I never understood how he could be so inept yet do so many big games. He was big in the ECAC and did a lot of Syracuse games.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I can still remember fans screaming at Higgins during the Temple game at Keaney with Mark Macon. Yeah, he was bad.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Wasn't he the one who had a big hand in calling the St. Joes game at their place, where they shot 66 FT's? That was the worst officiated game I've ever seen, before or since. And that's saying a lot.

Not sure the year, Al was the coach. I think we lost by 3, and what was left on the court all with 4 fouls?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

RoadyJay wrote:When do the game replays typically become available?
Usually next day.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Billyboy78 wrote:I can still remember fans screaming at Higgins during the Temple game at Keaney with Mark Macon. Yeah, he was bad.
Yep 0-9 start. Talk about taking the wind out of our sails!

Man Keaney was nuts that game one of the toughest tickets ever to get for a URI hoops game.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Apparently, Tim was a pretty good official. I was never that impressed. But I'll always remember that Temple game...Tom Garrick fouled out on such a ticky-tack call with about 5 minutes left on a call by Higgins. A killer!

That game was as loud as I ever heard Keaney.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Didn't he also call that phantom call at the CC against Sly (I think)? He was jogging down court and the ref said he ran over Soup Campbell, who did a great acting job. It was a crucial call in that game. It also was nowhere near the ball.
There were always a lot of strange calls in those days.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Higgins did whatever Dave Gavitt told him to do....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Ramulous wrote:Higgins did whatever Dave Gavitt told him to do....
So, Gavitt was the dominant one in the relationship?
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Yes....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RoadyJay wrote:When do the game replays typically become available?
I don't know why it says Iona...

http://www.coxhub.com/uri-vs-george-mas ... 016-replay
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Real Happy Four had a great game. But I hope Hurley is smart enough this far into the season that if Four is 0-4 and looking like he wouldn't be able to find playing time for Salve Regina that Dan has a quick hook. Four playing 30min with his defense being 1 for or 2 for 8 is death for URI against a good team.

Now I hope Four plays great for the rest of our games get 30 mins and we all live happily ever after but when he looks like he doesn't belong against a good team. Hurley be smart sit him 15 min max playing time.

GO RHODY!
0 x