Game 23: @LaSalle Feb 6 8PM

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Game 23: @LaSalle Feb 6 8PM

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:I love the folks that preach 'season is over' and 'nothing matters'...
When they win, it's 'no big deal', they should have.
When they lose, it's because 'they don't have it this year'...

Makes for great reading.

Yet... they continue to watch every game and follow every post. --> ...yawn

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I don't see why this is hard to understand. Games like LaSalle are no big deal. They just are other than really nice individual performances that portend very nice things. But that just adds to the feedback loop. All these guys have shown glimpses (or even sustained excellence like JG is starting to) but, when you add it all up together, it falls short in big spots. When I watch any other bubble type team, I sit there wondering why Rhody isn't in that discussion, even without EC. That and the close losses keep pointing to something just not adding up. That's sort of my problem. I never gave up on the season because these guys are good.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Gonebarongone wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:I love the folks that preach 'season is over' and 'nothing matters'...

Makes for great reading.

I don't see why this is hard to understand.
What I don't understand is why, for some people, there is nothing in between going all the way back in based on one game against a weak team and "yawning." When they play well, even against a bad team, it really is OK to say so without going overboard and unreasonably raising your expectations. La Salle is not good. URI still played well, and significantly they won on the road (which they hadn't done in the conference) and they dominated the second half rather than let a team hang around. It isn't wrong to acknowledge those things.

The bigger point to me is that your opinion about anything should always evolve with every piece of data you get. Ignoring a piece of data is as big of a mistake as weighing a piece of data too heavily. So I find it ironic that the people who go after other posters for their perceived overreaction to a good performance against a bad team (I'm not sure how much that actually happens, FWIW) take the stance that the game doesn't matter at all. No, every game matters. Any particular game could end up being an outlier, and games against weak opponents should be taken for what they are. But they still matter to one degree or another.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Gonebarongone wrote:

Makes for great reading.

I don't see why this is hard to understand. Games like LaSalle are no big deal. They just are other than really nice individual performances that portend very nice things. But that just adds to the feedback loop. All these guys have shown glimpses (or even sustained excellence like JG is starting to) but, when you add it all up together, it falls short in big spots. When I watch any other bubble type team, I sit there wondering why Rhody isn't in that discussion, even without EC. That and the close losses keep pointing to something just not adding up. That's sort of my problem. I never gave up on the season because these guys are good.

Well...that's certainly a lot different from those that say the 'season is over' and the 'games don't mean anything.'
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Gonebarongone wrote:

Makes for great reading.

And I think that has to do more with nagging injuries and lack of program depth, which leaves no margin for error, and you think it has to do with coaching. Maybe we're both right, maybe we're both wrong. Eventually we'll find out, but I find it exhausting to continually hash it out and hear/say the same thing over and over, so I'll leave that to others.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

I never said the games don't matter this year. What I said is that a win over LaSalle doesn't excite me. And secondly, it's certainly easier to play "well" against LaSalle. Is it more URI-good than LaSalle-bad? Ask yourself that question. But you're missing that point...

The LaSalle's of the basketball world (2015-16 version) shouldn't be the measuring stick of playing well and not playing well. If that's the case, then folks on this board should never complain about scheduling UNH, Quinnipiac, or Loyola, MD. I mean when URI schedules those games and plays well in those games, we should be excited, right? Those are great measuring sticks. Beating UNH by 20 is something to get excited about!

So URI lays an egg at home against St. Joe's or blows a lead at GW. So what. Bottom line is URI played 20 minutes of good basketball at LaSalle...that's more important? That's the measuring stick for this team and the program this year, beating LaSalle on the road? We should be just as excited for that win as we are down in the dumps after the aforementioned losses to St. Joe's and GW.

In reality, you'd be a liar if you said that's the case. There are games on the schedule that mean more and carry more weight than others. Just as there are heavyweights/lightweights in the A-10 in any particular year, so too is the case in the non-conference. That's why good coaches/teams schedule some big name schools, some equivalent schools, and some "cupcakes."

So I want to see URI measure up to the upper division of the league and this year they've fallen way short. Beating the bottom feeders does not excite me and does not excite the fan base. This season, unfortunately, has been a "close but no cigar" season. Barring a miracle in the last month, it'll go in the record books as a blur...not a stinker of a season and not a great season. We will have forgotten about it in less than 5 years.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:I never said the games don't matter this year. What I said is that a win over LaSalle doesn't excite me. And secondly, it's certainly easier to play "well" against LaSalle. Is it more URI-good than LaSalle-bad? Ask yourself that question. But you're missing that point...

The LaSalle's of the basketball world (2015-16 version) shouldn't be the measuring stick of playing well and not playing well. If that's the case, then folks on this board should never complain about scheduling UNH, Quinnipiac, or Loyola, MD. I mean when URI schedules those games and plays well in those games, we should be excited, right? Those are great measuring sticks. Beating UNH by 20 is something to get excited about!

So URI lays an egg at home against St. Joe's or blows a lead at GW. So what. Bottom line is URI played 20 minutes of good basketball at LaSalle...that's more important? That's the measuring stick for this team and the program this year, beating LaSalle on the road? We should be just as excited for that win as we are down in the dumps after the aforementioned losses to St. Joe's and GW.

In reality, you'd be a liar if you said that's the case. There are games on the schedule that mean more and carry more weight than others. Just as there are heavyweights/lightweights in the A-10 in any particular year, so too is the case in the non-conference. That's why good coaches/teams schedule some big name schools, some equivalent schools, and some "cupcakes."

So I want to see URI measure up to the upper division of the league and this year they've fallen way short. Beating the bottom feeders does not excite me and does not excite the fan base. This season, unfortunately, has been a "close but no cigar" season. Barring a miracle in the last month, it'll go in the record books as a blur...not a stinker of a season and not a great season. We will have forgotten about it in less than 5 years.
This is a straw man argument, though, since nobody is drawing the kind of conclusions from playing well against La Salle that you are saying they are.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah I mean a few of you keep wanting to act like people are getting super excited about these games against bad teams when it's just not happening. You want something to be there just so you can bitch about it, but it's simply not the case.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

If we could get excited about something, it would have to be the play of Jarvis and Jared. Early in the year they were up and down and struggling big time, but now they've gotten comfortable in their roles, they're playing effiencient and can drop 20 on any night. I'm excited about watching those guys the rest of the year.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

ATPTourFan wrote:Agreed. If it's over we'll see you next year!
Look, I can still root for the team and want the best for the team while still being realistic about the situation.

Did you miss my post about URI being 0-7 versus RPI Top 100 opponents or that URI hasn't beaten a team with an RPI under 150 in over a month? Or that URI had two wins versus Top 150 opponents all year.

I just don't see where the hope is when you look at the results to this point, but I understand some people here may know or have ties to folks in the athletic department so it maybe a little harder to be critical or realistic about this year's results.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

STC going full-Mulder with the conspiracy theories. I like it.

Hope for this season? Nah. I still like watching them, though, and think they get back on track next year. If you don't trust these coaches, I guess you feel differently.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ATPTourFan wrote:Ace, were you able to attend the game? I think Gola is probably the worst venues in the A10, but it's cool(?) that they play hoop above the pool.
I did. I'm completely biased, but I don't mind Gola. Sure, I feel like I should be watching high school teams, and the higher you go up in the bleachers, the closer it feels you are getting to the sun. Why so hot? I just don't know. It's not exactly what an A10 facility should be, but I have a special place in my heart for both North Philly and the Explorers.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

ace wrote:STC going full-Mulder with the conspiracy theories. I like it.
Yeah, seriously. I WANT TO BELIEVE!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Our at large chances are over the season is not....Obviously our chances are slim with winning the A-10 tournament but I will never say this season is over unless we lose at the Barclays Center....Our record against top 100 teams means nothing if we win it.

I just watched a kid put his team on his back after he breaks his jaw, looses teeth, and has to wear a Hannibal Lecter mask just to play. These kids aren't quitting and I'm not quitting on them!

Stranger things have happened.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

STC wrote:I just don't see where the hope is when you look at the results to this point, but I understand some people here may know or have ties to folks in the athletic department so it maybe a little harder to be critical or realistic about this year's results.
ATPTourFan wrote:Yeah, seriously. I WANT TO BELIEVE!
where's the conspiracy theory? I don't see it. Me thinks you folks need to understand conspiracy a bit better. If STC were to implicate the two of you as having met or otherwise having had contact for the purpose of making only non-critical comments about this program on this board, then there was a conspiracy theory advanced, otherwise, nothing to see here, go about your business.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Running Ram wrote:
STC wrote:I just don't see where the hope is when you look at the results to this point, but I understand some people here may know or have ties to folks in the athletic department so it maybe a little harder to be critical or realistic about this year's results.
ATPTourFan wrote:Yeah, seriously. I WANT TO BELIEVE!
where's the conspiracy theory? I don't see it. Me thinks you folks need to understand conspiracy a bit better. If STC were to implicate the two of you as having met or otherwise having had contact for the purpose of making only non-critical comments about this program on this board, then there was a conspiracy theory advanced, otherwise, nothing to see here, go about your business.
The level of seriousness with which you used to reply to a random and not that great X-Files joke has made my day. I'm now assigning roles of Scully, Skinner, and the Cigarette Smoking Man. I already know who my Krycek is.
Last edited by ace 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Is the guy Sculder or Mulley?
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Smokinjimit?
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

I can still root for URI to win every game. If they win every game (regular season), then they're still not going to the NCAA. So the regular season in total means nothing as it relates to the post-season goals. That is finished.

If you want to believe that they have a chance to win in Brooklyn, then fine. I'll be rooting for them as well. But they haven't shown me any indication that they can beat good teams, never mind 2-to-3 of them in consecutive days. Yes, they have 2 chances. Slim and none...Slim is standing by the door.

This is why a win over LaSalle does nothing for me. And I'm not apologizing for it.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The only small positive aspect of that for me, was they at least played very well in the 2nd half of a ROAD game, albeit against a bad team.

So that's a little something. Build on that, please. Otherwise PMMM is right.

It's going to be tough. As we saw, when JG plays like he did, that made a huge difference. But the pressure is squarely on him and JT to bring their A games every time, to be competitive against the better teams going forward.

Just not enough help this season. KI, even if he comes back, isn't likely to be close to 100%.

Hassan has to stay out of foul trouble also, and Akele and CT have to make solid contributions.

It can be done in any given game, but it's asking a lot to expect consistently top games from everybody at this point.
Last edited by rambone 78 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

ace wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:

Makes for great reading.

And I think that has to do more with nagging injuries and lack of program depth, which leaves no margin for error, and you think it has to do with coaching. Maybe we're both right, maybe we're both wrong. Eventually we'll find out, but I find it exhausting to continually hash it out and hear/say the same thing over and over, so I'll leave that to others.
why do we have lack of program depth?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:
ace wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:
Asked and answered. If you don't like the answer, that's fine. Reasonable people can disagree, I guess. But what is the purpose of agitating on this specific point when we've already had this discussion and everyone had the opportunity to make their case?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

theblueram wrote:
ace wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:
My take- mainly I'd say the long-term effects of the shitstorm the program was left in and some recruiting misses (although those are not necessarily separate), but I'm sure you already know that. Those spots that had to be kept open so the program didn't get itself into trouble- those hypothetical guys would be a few years in now. I think those four-year program type guys make a difference in a conference like the A10. You want me to say it's all Hurley's fault, I know. That's cool. GBG thinks it's mainly in-game coaching with some systems things thrown in, also cool. Like I said, this will all work itself out one way or the other, and then we'll have our answer. Until then, the conversation is the song that never ends. It just goes on and on, my friend.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

What I think people didn't realize, is that even if we had everybody healthy this season, including EC, I don't think we had enough depth even then, to be an NCAA team.

That's frontcourt depth, I mean. Hassan gets in foul trouble, then our inside game goes to hell. Against better teams, that's trouble.

Dan had said he wanted to play more uptempo this season because we were going to go 10 deep.

That would have been true, but not deep enough when it comes to bigs who can play. Earl can play well against the cupcakes, but he's not good enough otherwise, same for Berry. And KI is not a banger.

So of course we would have been better, but still not quite good enough. Imo, as always.

Ace, that's a great point. It's really hard for any A10 program, to bring in finished products as freshmen. Guys don't really blossom until they are juniors or seniors, for the most part.

And that relates to the "10 deep" thing. Yeah, we would have the numbers, but of those 10, how many are really experienced or good enough yet, to be big contributers? Only a few, and that's not enough.

To be a top program at this level, you need at least 6 or 7 solid players each season, to be and stay consistently on top. That's what still separates us from the Dayton's and VCU's of this conference.
Last edited by rambone 78 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Don't forget about Butts. I don't know how much he would have played, but he's 6'7" and would have been another body.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Ramblinrose wrote:Smokinjimit?
Solid suggestion.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

And notice, in my post above, I made NO mention of any coaching issues that may exist.

Yeah, if we had more players who could play, than that would definitely make Dan look better.....

He's a work in progress, just as the team is.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I just asked a simple question. I mean, yeah the program was a shitstorm. But they did make the semis in the NIT in 2010. And yes, that was a shitstorm. The whole season. Which is why the former coach isn't here.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

theblueram wrote:I just asked a simple question. I mean, yeah the program was a shitstorm. But they did make the semis in the NIT in 2010. And yes, that was a shitstorm. The whole season. Which is why the former coach isn't here.
I was referring to the health of the entire program not a single season record or ending point. I don't think it's fair to ignore all of the previously agreed upon things about the state of the program (APR and all of those ramification being the largest elephant in the room) because of the frustrations from this season. If you're of the mind that none of that matters, just win- that's ok. I'm just not sure there's much more to say then.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Ace, I want nothing more than for Dan to succeed. Seriously.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

ace wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:Ace, were you able to attend the game? I think Gola is probably the worst venues in the A10, but it's cool(?) that they play hoop above the pool.
I did. I'm completely biased, but I don't mind Gola. Sure, I feel like I should be watching high school teams, and the higher you go up in the bleachers, the closer it feels you are getting to the sun. Why so hot? I just don't know. It's not exactly what an A10 facility should be, but I have a special place in my heart for both North Philly and the Explorers.
Ace my Dad is an Explorer, class of many many years ago. I grew up hearing various Tom Gola stories, plus other Philly hoops icons, from way back.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

OK, at the risk of (further) displaying my ignorance, what does this refer to? "Those spots that had to be kept open so the program didn't get itself into trouble- those hypothetical guys would be a few years in now". Even with EC, there's still need for more depth this year, especially 'big' depth - Hass definitely misses a "Gil" type.

I agree this is a four year league, so depth and experience is important...But, why did 'spots have to be kept open'?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

theblueram wrote:Ace, I want nothing more than for Dan to succeed. Seriously.
I don't doubt that. You're a Rhody fan- and a good one- and want to see your program be successful. If he's not, then that's more waiting for you.

And, until they reach their goal- whatever that is for a particular fan (conference championship, tournament bid), it's ok to be somewhat skeptical, I think, if you want to be. That's not personally how I approach college sports, but that's my choice. Maybe you think he gets them there, maybe you don't, but anybody ignoring facts and the contributing factors from any side makes for some very frustrating conversations.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It's a combination of things. We can debate which "things" contribute more or less to the situation.

And we do.

Hopefully, next season most of those "things" start to go away.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

UCH21377 wrote:
ace wrote: I did. I'm completely biased, but I don't mind Gola. Sure, I feel like I should be watching high school teams, and the higher you go up in the bleachers, the closer it feels you are getting to the sun. Why so hot? I just don't know. It's not exactly what an A10 facility should be, but I have a special place in my heart for both North Philly and the Explorers.
Ace my Dad is an Explorer, class of many many years ago. I grew up hearing various Tom Gola stories, plus other Philly hoops icons, from way back.
That's awesome. It's a city with such great basketball history and personalities. I love (and have some degrees from) Temple and like La Salle, dislike Villanova (you're Main Line anyway not Philly!). I used to be cool with St. Joe's, but they're on notice.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rambone 78 wrote:What I think people didn't realize, is that even if we had everybody healthy this season, including EC, I don't think we had enough depth even then, to be an NCAA team.

That's frontcourt depth, I mean. Hassan gets in foul trouble, then our inside game goes to hell. Against better teams, that's trouble.

Dan had said he wanted to play more uptempo this season because we were going to go 10 deep.

That would have been true, but not deep enough when it comes to bigs who can play. Earl can play well against the cupcakes, but he's not good enough otherwise, same for Berry. And KI is not a banger.

So of course we would have been better, but still not quite good enough. Imo, as always.

Ace, that's a great point. It's really hard for any A10 program, to bring in finished products as freshmen. Guys don't really blossom until they are juniors or seniors, for the most part.

And that relates to the "10 deep" thing. Yeah, we would have the numbers, but of those 10, how many are really experienced or good enough yet, to be big contributers? Only a few, and that's not enough.

To be a top program at this level, you need at least 6 or 7 solid players each season, to be and stay consistently on top. That's what still separates us from the Dayton's and VCU's of this conference.
I'd imagine the theory before the season was that by playing fast, our bigs athleticism would overwhelm the size on other teams. Instead, because we've had to play slower, we haven't been able to transfer the pressure to the front court of our opponents consistently enough, which has lead to the problems we've had this season.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

A10 is and will always be a mature league. Gotta have the Seen-yahz.

With EC its obviously a better team. Not a Sweet 16 team though. I think the best A10 team every year is a Sweet Sixteen team.

There is a lot of humor in reading people post critically about URI basketball fans. URI hasn't had a good year in almost 20 years. All of those that live on this board aren't bailing. And honestly it would only take an NIT bid to get them back.

Beating LaSalle? I think URI is something like 25-8 against Lasalle since the roundball started bouncing.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:I used to be cool with St. Joe's, but they're on notice.
Hmmm.... wonder why that is!?!?
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

ATPTourFan wrote:
Probably due to elbows and headbutts and a coach that calls another coach an F'n A-hole?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RoadyJay wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:
Probably due to elbows and headbutts and a coach that calls another coach an F'n A-hole?

A lot of the hate for St. Joe's goes back decades. Much of it started with the blatant home team reffing at Hawkhill and all the screw jobs URI got there. St. Joe's has also long gotten favored treatment from the league. Martelli has further inflamed things as he has been an ass for many many years. He publicly dissed Rhody's NCAA chances to the media one year which is something a fellow conference coach with class would never do. Martelli and his goon squad's actions this year just adds more fuel.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RF1 wrote:
RoadyJay wrote:

A lot of the hate for St. Joe's goes back decades. Much of it started with the blatant home team reffing at Hawkhill and all the screw jobs URI got there. St. Joe's has also long gotten favored treatment from the league. Martelli has further inflamed things as he has been an ass for many many years. He publicly dissed Rhody's NCAA chances to the media one year which is something a fellow conference coach with class would never do. Martelli and his goon squad's actions this year just adds more fuel.
The history is certainly there, but personally, I've been to that coach's house and St. Joe's gave me a paycheck for a year. I didn't think I'd be in a place to dislike them this much.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

What did Martelli feed you?
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

My guess is a bunch of BS.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

It was a barbecue... chicken, I think, but I'm going to pretend it was hawk.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

That still sounds more exciting than my visits to Jim Baron's house 14 years ago to set up and upgrade the new computer for his boyz.
0 x