Game 23: @LaSalle Feb 6 8PM

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: Game 23: @LaSalle Feb 6 8PM

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Plenty of Rhody fans in Brooklyn? Please quantify plenty. My guess is there will be many less than last year. If URI can't even get 5k for 10 of its 13 home games, why then would you think a large number of fans will make the long trip to Brooklyn and pay a lot of money (tickets/lodging) to see a Rhody team that has been a major disappointment?[/quote]

Will you be there?[/quote]

No. If the season had gone well and I felt the team had the chance to go deep in the tournament, I would have strongly considered it given my schedule would have allowed for it this year. That is not the case.[/quote]

Well, while it may not seem likely...would a strong finish to the season change your mind? Like...beat GMU and DUQ and take 3 of 4 from Dayton/Dayton/VCU/DAV? Not talking about 'how likely'...just curious if it would change your mind?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: Well, while it may not seem likely...would a strong finish to the season change your mind? Like...beat GMU and DUQ and take 3 of 4 from Dayton/Dayton/VCU/DAV? Not talking about 'how likely'...just curious if it would change your mind?
This season is long lost. There is no chance that the present team gets on a roll like that. Your proposition will never have to be considered. Even in the highly unlikely event it did occur, the first 2/3 of the season have left such a lasting taint that I still would not go. I would simply chalk up a late season surge to an unexplained momentary rally right before someone's death.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

rodfromcranston wrote:I didn't see the game, only read the box score.
Anyone want to tell me Garrett shouldn't start,
or he can't shoot the 3.
Our backcourt is solid and set with Garrett and Terrell,
who has his 4th straight 20 point game.
Looks like Akele was great tonight, and Martin had a good game.
Zero from Four and Thompson, and not much from Earl.
A win is a win.
I felt that while CT didn't get any points, he played well and did the little things that don't show up in the stat sheet. He and Akele had some good steals off would be back door passes down lown. Some good defense from the freshmen.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: Well, while it may not seem likely...would a strong finish to the season change your mind? Like...beat GMU and DUQ and take 3 of 4 from Dayton/Dayton/VCU/DAV? Not talking about 'how likely'...just curious if it would change your mind?
This season is long lost. There is no chance that the present team gets on a roll like that. Your proposition will never have to be considered. Even in the highly unlikely event it did occur, the first 2/3 of the season have left such a lasting taint that I still would not go. I would simply chalk up a late season surge to an unexplained rally right before someone's death.
So....if you even watch now ....'why'? And what if that situation DID happen? What if they went on a run and won the A10...wouldn't you be bummed that you gave up on it? (Appreciate the dialog, not trying to give you a hard time)
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Nice win by the Rams last night. Had a chance to watch it on tape at 10 p.m. and for a change, it was an enjoyable two hours. Yes, it was against an inferior team with no crowd support (you could hear Dan over everybody), and I'm probably sure there will be a similar reaction on the board after Tuesday's game. Basically that the season is over and we beat an inferior team. However, there are stories within the story. JT was almost run off of this board less than a month ago. He now plays with confidence, he's beginning to rebound the basketball, and his scoring touch both inside and out has improved. One does not know how Nicola's game last night will effect his play, but he did play 35 minutes, shooting well, rebounding, and working real hard when we pressed, He should have a great deal of confidence when he now enters games. and then there is JG. There is a part of me that they should switch the order of the starting lineups and put Jarvis last. He is truly the heart and soul of this team. Halfway through his sophomore year, what a great future lies ahead. If you can't get on your feet for Jarvis on Tuesday you have major problems. In a year of major disappointments and frustrations, it's okay to talk about some positives. - how many more times do we have to mention that Four is not playing well. Being a Ram fan ain't easy. Trust me I've done it for fifty years. Have not and will not quit...that ram fan
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

steviep123 wrote:
or he can't shoot the 3.
A win is a win.
I felt that while CT didn't get any points, he played well and did the little things that don't show up in the stat sheet. He and Akele had some good steals off would be back door passes down lown. Some good defense from the freshmen.
Yeah I was actually surprised when I looked at the box score and saw Thompson's numbers. I thought he played pretty well.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
RF1 wrote:
This season is long lost. There is no chance that the present team gets on a roll like that. Your proposition will never have to be considered. Even in the highly unlikely event it did occur, the first 2/3 of the season have left such a lasting taint that I still would not go. I would simply chalk up a late season surge to an unexplained rally right before someone's death.
So....if you even watch now ....'why'? And what if that situation DID happen? What if they went on a run and won the A10...wouldn't you be bummed that you gave up on it? (Appreciate the dialog, not trying to give you a hard time)

I watched last night and will continue to do so and will go again to the Ryan Center this season. I hope for good play and wins but do not necessarily expect them given past performance to date. Even with the promise of next season, that will be how I approach next year. This team has to show me consistent hard real proof on the court before I get myself all excited. Expectations and hope are no longer enough. Show me results.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

or he can't shoot the 3.
A win is a win.
Rod, you definitely missed JG's best game. It was like he was on a mission. If available somewhere, watch the replay. He was both passing well, and taking his shot. There was one play I was internally yelling (had a sleeping 7 week old with me) for him to pass to Terrell who was wide open for three, and he made a nice move for an easy layup (this is why I'm not a head coach - the lesson as always, I'm a self-admitted arm chair coach and homer that doesn't know what he's talking about). After that my internal voice say, "or take it to the hole!" A few possessions later, he found an open Terrell (or maybe Akele) for 3 during penetration. A good point guard who can penetrate really opens the floor and several possibilities.

His game was so good it made Terrell's 22 points seem quiet. This is no knock on JT who also had a great game!

Say what you want about this season, but the rest of this year and the next two, is going to be a pleasure watching these two guys play!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

208, people aren't interested in any "what if" scenarios any more.

This team, while it played great [against a bottom feeder] for a half last night, simply doesn't have enough to do what you hope it will. And that's even with KI back.

Just enjoy each game as it comes, capeche?

Of course the players and coaches won't give up. That's their job.

As fans, we've seen enough by now to know what's happening. Or at least most of us have.

I know you're always saying there's a chance. Give it a rest.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

neil wrote:Nice win by the Rams last night. Had a chance to watch it on tape at 10 p.m. and for a change, it was an enjoyable two hours. Yes, it was against an inferior team with no crowd support (you could hear Dan over everybody), and I'm probably sure there will be a similar reaction on the board after Tuesday's game. Basically that the season is over and we beat an inferior team. However, there are stories within the story. JT was almost run off of this board less than a month ago. He now plays with confidence, he's beginning to rebound the basketball, and his scoring touch both inside and out has improved. One does not know how Nicola's game last night will effect his play, but he did play 35 minutes, shooting well, rebounding, and working real hard when we pressed, He should have a great deal of confidence when he now enters games. and then there is JG. There is a part of me that they should switch the order of the starting lineups and put Jarvis last. He is truly the heart and soul of this team. Halfway through his sophomore year, what a great future lies ahead. If you can't get on your feet for Jarvis on Tuesday you have major problems. In a year of major disappointments and frustrations, it's okay to talk about some positives. - how many more times do we have to mention that Four is not playing well. Being a Ram fan ain't easy. Trust me I've done it for fifty years. Have not and will not quit...that ram fan
+1000000
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
hrstrat57 wrote:So what?
Was just curious, that's all. I have no idea how many will be there...I just think it will be a recognizable, good showing. Do I 'know' that for sure? No...I guess no one does. I just think it will be a healthy contingent that thinks they 'could' pull off something noteworthy.
Ha ha ha the random "so what? " was to accusations you worked for URI!

Keep posted the positivity 208!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:208, people aren't interested in any "what if" scenarios any more.

This team, while it played great [against a bottom feeder] for a half last night, simply doesn't have enough to do what you hope it will. And that's even with KI back.

Just enjoy each game as it comes, capeche?

Of course the players and coaches won't give up. That's their job.

As fans, we've seen enough by now to know what's happening. Or at least most of us have.

I know you're always saying there's a chance. Give it a rest.
Rammer....as I said in my PM to you...I hope your recupe goes well. Not sure that it's necessary to tell people what to do...especially those that are just interested in conversation. I believe there ARE some people interested in any kind of conversation or scenario discussion...but perhaps you've been appointed board spokesperson? I think it's a legit question to ask...would those that have given up on the season be bummed if they ran the table in Brooklyn and they didn't go/missed it. What makes sports great to watch is the 'possible.'

I know you're always saying there's not a chance. Give it a rest.

Not being negative all the time and trying to make sure everyone else is, too...will probably help you heal faster.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

hrstrat57 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
hrstrat57 wrote:So what?
Was just curious, that's all. I have no idea how many will be there...I just think it will be a recognizable, good showing. Do I 'know' that for sure? No...I guess no one does. I just think it will be a healthy contingent that thinks they 'could' pull off something noteworthy.
Ha ha ha the random "so what? " was to accusations you worked for URI!

Keep posted the positivity 208!
I will! The coolest part of sports is when your team does the positively unexpected.
But, seems like if I talk about that...I could be in danger of being kicked off the board! ;)
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

You and a few others cannot seem to understand the difference between negativity and realism.

I do not like to be painted with such a broad brush. I am not always negative, and at least people who have been long time posters know that.

I'm done arguing with you, or anybody else for a while. It doesn't do you or me any good anyway.

And yes, I'll feel better knowing that.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

If I didn't have a 2 month old, I'd think about Brooklyn
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Being a fan is an emotional decision, not a pragmatic one. This is a URI Fan board. Regardless of how its expressed every one here is a fan, well except for 1.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:You and a few others cannot seem to understand the difference between negativity and realism.

I do not like to be painted with such a broad brush. I am not always negative, and at least people who have been long time posters know that.

I'm done arguing with you, or anybody else for a while. It doesn't do you or me any good anyway.

And yes, I'll feel better knowing that.
You've said this before...but, I'm not sure what compels you to think you need to ride herd over what I say in the first place. The reality is...you DO want to hear what I have to say. If you didn't... you'd just block me or not respond.

PS - The 'realists' probably missed Dave Roberts stolen base....
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

neil wrote:Nice win by the Rams last night. Had a chance to watch it on tape at 10 p.m. and for a change, it was an enjoyable two hours. Yes, it was against an inferior team with no crowd support (you could hear Dan over everybody), and I'm probably sure there will be a similar reaction on the board after Tuesday's game. Basically that the season is over and we beat an inferior team. However, there are stories within the story. JT was almost run off of this board less than a month ago. He now plays with confidence, he's beginning to rebound the basketball, and his scoring touch both inside and out has improved. One does not know how Nicola's game last night will effect his play, but he did play 35 minutes, shooting well, rebounding, and working real hard when we pressed, He should have a great deal of confidence when he now enters games. and then there is JG. There is a part of me that they should switch the order of the starting lineups and put Jarvis last. He is truly the heart and soul of this team. Halfway through his sophomore year, what a great future lies ahead. If you can't get on your feet for Jarvis on Tuesday you have major problems. In a year of major disappointments and frustrations, it's okay to talk about some positives. - how many more times do we have to mention that Four is not playing well. Being a Ram fan ain't easy. Trust me I've done it for fifty years. Have not and will not quit...that ram fan
Love it Neil!!!
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Count me in the school that believes Christion Thompson played well yesterday in many aspects.....unfortunately his shot wasn't falling.....I look forward to his growth over the next couple of years...
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

CT played great. Do you guys think he will be in the starting lineup for the rest of the season?
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Maybe it's an overreaction to one game, but I'd like to see both freshmen start. Akele's performance last night has me curious.
Some players perform differently when they go from a reserve to a starter.
However, I'm not expecting the starting lineup to change this year.

PS Does anyone else have a problem with a kindle changing the words you type? It's as if it has a mind of its own.
Last edited by ramfan85 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

What I'm most interested in the rest of the way is seeing if this is just a really nice streak from Jared and Jarvis or if they've reached a new level in their development, especially Jarvis. If this is the new, expected standard from Jarvis, then this is his team going forward, even when EC comes back next season. And if EC can come back healthy, with minimal rust, maximum confidence in the knee, and ability to embrace his new place, he could have an absolute monster season.

Jarvis and Jared playing to their current level, EC, and Hassan would certainly seem to give us that hard to defend lineup we've been searching for. And I think that would make Dan's offensive coaching ability look much better.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I thought they used Akele great last night - he is so long on the top of the press and LaSalle struggled with that pressure all night. Does this work against Dayton or GW, etc? We'll see!
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

While they will have their FR struggles, what I like that I see from Thompson and Akele is their bball IQ. Christion has a nose for the ball, and he does a lot of little things that indicate a smart player. Same for Akele. At times this is an area where our team struggles but I like what I see from our two FR. Dowtin looks like another high IQ guy.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

SS06; CT starting from here out? No. I have been advocating for that for a while now. For those that say it doesn't matter who starts but gets the PT minutes during important, that is fine. I think there is something worth trying, as I have stated before, in having 4 off the bench to ignite a run hitting his first three. Unfortunately, 4's minutes, including starting have been XL cause of EC being out. The role, designated spot up shooter off the bench has not been an option. I think DH with a challenged offense output keeps 4 starting to get off hot early, even with a known downside of the rest of his game. Plus, DH is locked into his ways, including line up changes. CT starting the second half yesterday may be a turning point.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

The best way I can express this season is the following example of my behavior. I went from 100% set to go to Brooklyn at the start with a hotel booked. EC went down, I canceled my hotel room (out of frustration mostly). They do alright in Cancun, Rider and Holy Cross and I say fuck it, I'm going to book again. Then comes Nebraska and Old Dominion and I cancel again. Then with the loss to GW, St. Joes, and UMass I am 100% certain there is no Brooklyn for me this year. Then last night happens... here I am. To go or not to go. They play like the way they did last night against the better half teams and I think I'm in. The ups and downs of being a Rhody fan.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

BleedBlue87 wrote:The best way I can express this season is the following example of my behavior. I went from 100% set to go to Brooklyn at the start with a hotel booked. EC went down, I canceled my hotel room (out of frustration mostly). They do alright in Cancun, Rider and Holy Cross and I say fuck it, I'm going to book again. Then comes Nebraska and Old Dominion and I cancel again. Then with the loss to GW, St. Joes, and UMass I am 100% certain there is no Brooklyn for me this year. Then last night happens... here I am. To go or not to go. They play like the way they did last night against the better half teams and I think I'm in. The ups and downs of being a Rhody fan.
That's the spirit '87! See you there!
0 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

I think we would be complaining about FM's minutes more if EC was healthy. Imagine FM taking away minutes from EC, JT, or JG in potentially meaningful games. I'm sure FM wouldn't have played as much but based on how much he plays now, I'm sure he would've played enough to make me upset. I'm hoping this is the last game thread where we have to post about FM starting.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Brooklyn is a definite. Poetic Justice!! Wewe will beat St. Joes and knock them out of the "Dance".

Not the same as going to the dance, but, still very enjoyable.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

McRam wrote:Brooklyn is a definite. Poetic Justice!! Wewe will beat St. Joes and knock them out of the "Dance".

Not the same as going to the dance, but, still very enjoyable.
SJU could be a two-seed? If they beat SJU...might be the semis... or <gulp> final...?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

and we wonder why the state government is full of a bunch of morons. We have a voter base with an IQ of crack cocaine.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:and we wonder why the state government is full of a bunch of morons. We have a voter base with an IQ of crack cocaine.
And...wouldn't you know it...just got my voter registration confirmation in the mail yesterday! ;)
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Akele and CT both have a great shot. For both of them its a matter of confidence and an open look. I honestly trust both of them from 3 with an open shot more than Four.

Akele's shot might end up deadly down the line. I say that because it is such a high release and quick.

With Jarvis obviously showing he is trending toward an awesome shooting career. Terrell's streaky jumper when he is sweating and warmed up. CT/Akele.

Certainly DH has found some shooting.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Why is our pink out game Tuesday and not Friday? Don't they usually do it for big games?
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

TruePoint wrote:
adam914 wrote:
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:LaSalle....yawn.
I mean, I get LaSalle sucks, but there was only one game on the schedule today, and it was against LaSalle. They had to play it because that's sort of how things work. They won it by a lot of points. Is it not ok to be happy about that?
This guy has one of the best usernames and some of the dumbest posts.
Fine...I'll elaborate more.

Am I happy they won? Yes. Am I excited? No. Does it mean anything in the big picture? Absolutely nothing.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I love the folks that preach 'season is over' and 'nothing matters'...
When they win, it's 'no big deal', they should have.
When they lose, it's because 'they don't have it this year'...

Makes for great reading.

Yet... they continue to watch every game and follow every post. --> ...yawn

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Season is not over until we lose in Brooklyn
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote:Season is not over until we lose in Brooklyn
Exactly...and who's to say that 'has to' happen?
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
steveystuds06 wrote:Season is not over until we lose in Brooklyn
Exactly...and who's to say that 'has to' happen?
The season is over.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I can't understand why those that think (er, 'know') that 'the season is over'...spend so much time reading and commenting on a board about... 'the season.' Unless...they don't really believe it.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Agreed. If it's over we'll see you next year!
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Almost lost my mind when Hassan went down- no contact, holding his knee. I've seen that scene already this year. Two thumbs down, would not watch again.

I wish Four could have played better in front of family and friends, but he has his limits when not in the role originally designed for him.

EC is back lifting and has been such a good teammate through all of this. Kuran, who's barely been coached hard or smart in his life, is committed to this thing. Watching their reactions on the bench was simply fun.

I lost Dan a couple times, not used to him ever sitting down.

Jarvis Freaking Garrett. Pull up a chair and get ready to watch this guy for 2+ more seasons. Toughness doesn't begin to describe him. He looked completely unphased by wearing what looked like a super villain's science project on his face and somehow played one of his his best games.

Jared has found himself again and responded to being challenged. Thrilled for him. Last year, things went so well overall that he never really faced adversity in the college game. Keep working on that shot, and he's got this.

Akele- aside from continuing to look like the best basketball playing giraffe ever- also seems to defy the laws of physics. Not sure how his shot goes down sometimes, but he was perfect. His height and Christion's almost deceptive length help.

Shots fell, so they looked good. Regardless, it was an enjoyable game.
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

FEAR THE MASK!!!!! Tremendous effort by Garrett. No idea how he could play with that thing on.
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I vote for keeping the mask on semi-permanently.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I can't believe he could shoot so well with that thing on...amazing....
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

ace wrote:
If/when this happens as often as it should saddle up Ram fans and enjoy the ride!

Of course if you have declared the season over disrespecting our URI student athletes heart and lack of quit well buzz off......
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Ace, were you able to attend the game? I think Gola is probably the worst venues in the A10, but it's cool(?) that they play hoop above the pool.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

hrstrat57 wrote:
ace wrote:
If/when this happens as often as it should saddle up Ram fans and enjoy the ride!

Of course if you have declared the season over disrespecting our URI student athletes heart and lack of quit well buzz off......
Cheers to that!!!!!!!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:
ramster wrote:Career high for Garrett with 28.
Terrell with 4th consecutive game with 20 or more
Solid game from Martin.
Akele career high
Thompson solid floor game and as usual strong defensively. Gets start in 2nd half. Hopefully starts Tursday night.

George Mason Tuesday night then bring on Dayton Friday night!!!!
I'm pretty sure Thompson started the 2nd half because Four picked up his 3rd foul late in the 1st half.
Good point BillyBoy. McGlynn picked up 2 fouls in the first 5 minutes of the game, then picked up his 3rd with 3 minutes to go in the first half then went to the bench. This is most likely (99% sure) why he did not start the 2nd half. Four did not come in until about 7 minutes into the 2nd half and he finished with the same 3 fouls.

But as the score was tied 29-29 at the half then we went on a streak and outscored LaSalle 15-2 to start the 2nd half going up 44-31 hopefully it now makes sense to start Thompson all the time. We'll see Tuesday night. Possible Akele starts as well? Iverson?
0 x