I Can't Believe I Have To Write This - In Defense of Dan.

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I Can't Believe I Have To Write This - In Defense of Dan.

Unread post by Blue Man »

I will start by saying, if you haven't already chalked this season up to snake-bitten, lost, and haven't found the cruel humor in it - I just feel bad for you. Let it go.

This season was lost 9 minutes after the opening tip. Basketball is a different game than football, baseball, hockey, soccer, rugby, or any team sport you can think of. It has the lowest amount of players; on a roster, in the lineup, or on the court by a long shot.

1 player makes all the difference. Why do you think the Celtics are at the deadline looking for "1 piece" to become a contender? Because 1 player can change a team from middle of the pack to championship contender just like that.

If you require the analogy - losing the guy on your basketball team who was one of the best in the country, your leading scorer, leading shooter, captain, leader, the guy who is the focal point of your offense, who makes everyone around him better - is the New England Patriots equivalent to losing Tom Brady, Dion Lewis, and Julian Edelman. Yes you still have Gronk, but no other options for a bail out, and now the defense can just triple cover your all pro TE and force an inexperienced QB to try and beat a defense that knows you're 1 dimensional with slim options.

I would love to see a Patriots message board melting down and blaming Bill Belichick and saying that we were never going to be good again.

Basketball is a team game that requires 1 STUD to take the heat of the defense on his shoulders, and still find ways to score, while opening up the rest of the team for more opportunities.

While EC may have not been the most efficient player on the floor, he still drew constant double-teams and close outs - yet still found a way to score over 16 a game. He was still a conference player of the year contender. You don't replace that with simple game plans and adjustments. Just having him on the court forced defenses to concentrate on him, allowing other players to develop and get open, with less pressure.

Now yes, I understand that we are a fragile and damaged people from years and years of mediocrity and suck. I spent last night watching the 1988 tournament run where Silk and Tom Garrick literally emasculated people on the floor, and it really put in perspective how far we've fallen in the decades since.

However - if you think that this season is an indictment of the coach, respectfully I am going to tell you that you're getting worked up about things that are out of the control of the coach, and directly I'm going to tell you you're flat wrong.

If you think that we are worse off today as a program or team than we were on March 3, 2012 get off this board and never watch sports again because you're an idiot. I don't know if people are losing sight of how bad things were before Dan got here - or if this is just frustration from missed expectations that were, again, out of the coaches control.

I am really shocked that people think that its coaching or the refs that are costing us games this year. Without EC we are not the elite team we thought we would be - no shit.

People who are losing their minds after last nights laugher where we're missing 3 starters - what were you expecting?

This season is laughable because we're so ridiculously snakebitten. Let it go.

I want to find any coach in the college ranks that could win a game on the road in their conference with 3 of their starters gone.

When you look at the Ryan Center and see all the new videoboards, or walk down the hall in tootell to see the new athletic training center, or any of the myriad of physical upgrades to the program - remember what that was like before Hurley.

When you see the recruiting classes loaded with talent and heralded guys, remember what those incoming classes were like before Hurley.

When you see all the offseason NATIONAL PRESS ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY OF FUCKING RHODE ISLAND'S BASKETBALL TEAM - remember that we never even had a buzz before Hurley.

If you're complaining about his sideline temper, you're just grasping at things to complain about. Frank Martin, Bob Knight, etc - all have tempers. Before you go and say they're hall of famers blah blah - yeah no shit, but they always had that personality. Winning didn't just happen out of thin air. When we're a winning program, Hurley will still have that attitude and no one will care because we're winning.

Dan's temper is well known and he's still bringing in the best consecutive recruiting classes we've ever had. We're still being reported about nationally.

Personally, I love his in-game style, because I want my coach to care as much as I do. If anyone on this board thinks Dan is OK with how this season has gone, regardless of the injuries, you're thick and stupid. Dan can't make basketball players make layups. Or hit open shots. At least we haven't once gotten the "I towld owah guyz to hit da shotz, dey just didn't do it" this season. Everything has been honest and accountable. No one is happy with the outcome of this year, but you can't control who gets injured when.

Last night we were playing without 40% of our scholarship roster - and people are on here complaining about freshman, transfers, and a spot shooter brought in to play 10 mins a game not being able to win an A10 conference game.

This team is having a snakebitten season. This board is a dumpster fire.

Yeah, we're onto next year - which is an unfortunate theme around here, but if you want to point the finger at someone (since it seems like that's what this board needs to do) go and point it upwards because we can't control catastrophic injuries normally never happen in basketball.

It's really sad that year 4 after a decimated rebuild where we've had a sex tape, binky needing baby, petulent temper throwing baby, and a catastrophic injury take away starters from this program with no warning or chance to adjust - that people are blaming the coach who has brought this program to a respectable place in the national spotlight, from total irrelevancy.

This season is an anomaly with regards to the level and type of injuries that we've had to deal with. It's closer to our school being cursed than it is a poor coaching job. If you truly believe that with EC Matthews we would currently be 12-10, or that without EC Matthews we were an NCAA at-large bid, you know nothing Jon Snow.

Let it go.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: I Can't Believe I Have To Write This - In Defense of Dan

Unread post by RF1 »

I wish it were so easy to dismiss all we have seen this season and blame it all on injuries. In my view that is a far too simplistic view of things. Losing EC was no doubt a big blow but it does not clear the slate entire for all the problems we have encountered. Some of these problems were there last season with EC and have continued. Dan has not adapted well to the obstacles he faced this season. His public response to the Matthews injury was not helpful and set a very defeatist tone for the year. He has not adapted his players to the new officiating rules as they continue to foul far too often. He still has not found a way to close out close games. He cannot control his emotions on the sideline which has not been helpful with regards to either the refs or his own players. Good coaching finds a way to try to overcome obstacles. We have not seen that this year. The buck stops with Dan and the results are not pretty. He very much bears some responsibility for this mess. It is not all attributable to the loss of EC or other injuries. There are other problems here.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Well Done Blue Man :) :)
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RF1 wrote:I wish it were so easy to dismiss all we have seen this season and blame it all on injuries. In my view that is a far too simplistic view of things. Losing EC was no doubt a big blow but it does not clear the slate entire for all the problems we have encountered. Some of these problems were there last season with EC and have continued. Dan has not adapted well to the obstacles he faced this season. His public response to the Matthews injury was not helpful and set a very defeatist tone for the year. He has not adapted his players to the new officiating rules as they continue to foul far too often. He still has not found a way to close out close games. He cannot control his emotions on the sideline which has not been helpful with regards to either the refs or his own players. Good coaching finds a way to try to overcome obstacles. We have not seen that this year. The buck stops with Dan and the results are not pretty. He very much bears some responsibility for this mess. It is not all attributable to the loss of EC or other injuries. There are other problems here.
Wrong. Bad post.

Blue Man - it is insane and embarrassing for our fan base that what you wrote needs to be said, but it did need to be said. Thank you for saying it. I co-sign 100%.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Blue Man spot on. Imagine our neighbors to the north without Kris Dunn. They would be us.
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Agree with Blue Man totally...only, the injury to EC, while a big factor, isn't the only one. Stretches without KI and Hassan, and now KI/JG make it almost impossible to get consistent practice and continual development, regardless of who the coach is. Hurls isn't perfect, but he should get 5 years to turn this thing around before yucks start calling for his head and the 1st two shouldn't count.

PS - I still think Frank Martin is going to be the first CBB coach to go "Woody Hayes" and slug someone...he just has that look to him...
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

RF1 wrote:I wish it were so easy to dismiss all we have seen this season and blame it all on injuries. In my view that is a far too simplistic view of things. Losing EC was no doubt a big blow but it does not clear the slate entire for all the problems we have encountered. Some of these problems were there last season with EC and have continued. Dan has not adapted well to the obstacles he faced this season. His public response to the Matthews injury was not helpful and set a very defeatist tone for the year. He has not adapted his players to the new officiating rules as they continue to foul far too often. He still has not found a way to close out close games. He cannot control his emotions on the sideline which has not been helpful with regards to either the refs or his own players. Good coaching finds a way to try to overcome obstacles. We have not seen that this year. The buck stops with Dan and the results are not pretty. He very much bears some responsibility for this mess. It is not all attributable to the loss of EC or other injuries. There are other problems here.
No one is PERFECT Dan is going to have things he needs to improve on the point is he has brought this program back to a fucking contender. Blue Man is right it's ridiculous that people are doubting Dan at this point after everything he has done for the program in such a short time.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

If this season is lost, why aren't we letting some guys get reps. Seeing Four run the point last night and continuously turn the ball over while having a terrible shooting night was pretty frustrating. If that wasn't working, why not let Thompson and JT handle the ball and see what Akele can do on the wing. I dont know but when something is clearly not working, why not change it up.

I do think that the "ref's are after us" has both real and psychological implications.
0 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I said this last night in the UMass game thread in response to GBG, who has been very committed to forwarding his own peculiar version of reality in his posts after the last two games, but somehow there seems to be this revisionist idea that "these same problems" have been going on here since Dan arrived. What actually had been going on here since Dan arrived was that every team he's had has been appreciably better than the previous one, a pattern that absolutely would have continued had EC not gotten hurt.

So to me, all the rest of this bitching and moaning about the coaches and whatever else is just grown ups that are not emotionally equipped to handle something in life not working out exactly the way they had hoped. I find it embarrassing. It isn't Dan's fault EC got hurt. That is just the way shit goes sometimes.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Well done Blue Man, great post.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

skwalk47 wrote:If this season is lost, why aren't we letting some guys get reps. Seeing Four run the point last night and continuously turn the ball over while having a terrible shooting night was pretty frustrating. If that wasn't working, why not let Thompson and JT handle the ball and see what Akele can do on the wing. I dont know but when something is clearly not working, why not change it up.

I do think that the "ref's are after us" has both real and psychological implications.
Youre splitting hairs. They all played tons last night, and Thompson is definitely not a point guard. Youre better off having Thompson play his natural position if youre trying to develop him.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

I was one of the people who immediately changed my expectations and prediction when EC got hurt, many on this board said there was no need to. Despite my lower expectations, I still attend or watch the games and make observations, good and bad. I think alot of the criticism of Hurley is over the top but I think this unconditional defense of Hurley is over the top too. I'm a Hurley supporter not a disciple.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:I said this last night in the UMass game thread in response to GBG, who has been very committed to forwarding his own peculiar version of reality in his posts after the last two games, but somehow there seems to be this revisionist idea that "these same problems" have been going on here since Dan arrived. What actually had been going on here since Dan arrived was that every team he's had has been appreciably better than the previous one, a pattern that absolutely would have continued had EC not gotten hurt.

So to me, all the rest of this bitching and moaning about the coaches and whatever else is just grown ups that are not emotionally equipped to handle something in life not working out exactly the way they had hoped. I find it embarrassing. It isn't Dan's fault EC got hurt. That is just the way shit goes sometimes.
Cheers to that....but why let that fact get in the way? :lol:
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

BFC wrote:I was one of the people who immediately changed my expectations and prediction when EC got hurt, many on this board said there was no need to. Despite my lower expectations, I still attend or watch the games and make observations, good and bad. I think alot of the criticism of Hurley is over the top but I think this unconditional defense of Hurley is over the top too. I'm a Hurley supporter not a disciple.
There is no doubt that Hurley is not perfect. I think any coach's strategic decisions are open to questioning and debate, since there is no one correct way to approach a basketball game. I'm all for that kind of stuff. But you have some people on here who I genuinely feel may have lost their minds, saying that no matter what happens the coach is ultimately responsible if you fail to meet expectations. That is not an intellectually rigorous way to look at it. It is nonsensical. If you lose your best player off a basketball team, that is going to have an impact, and the impact you'd expect is pretty much EXACTLY the impact we've seen.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

BFC wrote:I was one of the people who immediately changed my expectations and prediction when EC got hurt, many on this board said there was no need to. Despite my lower expectations, I still attend or watch the games and make observations, good and bad. I think alot of the criticism of Hurley is over the top but I think this unconditional defense of Hurley is over the top too. I'm a Hurley supporter not a disciple.
I think you're totally right on all of this but one part, and that's the unconditional defense of Hurley. I think what some are posting here is often misinterpreted as unconditional defense, but its really just responding to some of the more over the top criticisms.

I'll only speak for myself, but I know I have gotten that "unconditional defense" label and I think it's because I do spend most of my posting time here defending things that I see written that are borderline nuts. So after awhile it starts to seem like I think everything is 100% fine because I am spending so much time trying to argue against the over the top stuff. I've tried to stop doing that so much lately because it does get misinterpreted alot, but then sometimes it just drives me crazy. I do not think everything is 100% fine, I think Hurley absolutely has room to improve as a coach. There are valid criticisms, obviously, and I think everyone probably realizes that. I just don't think things are as dire as many want us to believe.

Oh and although I am responding to your specific post here, I have never felt like you were one of the "over the top" posters, just to be clear. Hopefully it doesn't come across that way.
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

My expectations for the season changed after EC went down as well, however, not to this extent. While I'm in no way blaming Dan for this season completely, I will simply remind everyone that when Ed Cooley lost Kris Dunn to injury before the start of the season, he promptly proceeded to win a Big East title. There were no excuses.

I think its a little far fetched to say that EC is the Tom Brady equivalency of this roster, however, I also agree this season's struggles lies within a multitude of issues (and not just coaching). I will continue to support this coach and team but I will also acknowledge there is a learning curve.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Ram1019 wrote:My expectations for the season changed after EC went down as well, however, not to this extent. While I'm in no way blaming Dan for this season completely, I will simply remind everyone that when Ed Cooley lost Kris Dunn to injury before the start of the season, he promptly proceeded to win a Big East title. There were no excuses.

I think its a little far fetched to say that EC is the Tom Brady equivalency of this roster, however, I also agree this season's struggles lies within a multitude of issues (and not just coaching). I will continue to support this coach and team but I will also acknowledge there is a learning curve.
They had another senior guard in Bryce Cotton to step up. Our oldest candidates to step up and fill the void are sophomores.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

We are full of freshman and sophomores our seniors are role players nothing more. Stop comparing us to PC if this team had Bryce Cotton we would be a lot better.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

1) Frank Martin...he sits on the bench during the game. He only blows a gasket when he blows up. Same with Knight...he sat on the bench and only had his volcanic eruptions on the refs (or players) when warranted, which actually weren't that often. Dan is up the ENTIRE game...and seems to chirp, whine, complain, roll his eyes, throw his hands in the air on EVERY SINGLE CALL. It is constant and flat out embarrassing for the university. That behavior is not coaching. And if I were a ref, I wouldn't put it up with it either.

2) Dan's late game coaching has yet to prove he can close. So basically Dan's team and players are good enough to outplay (or play even with) opponents for 35 minutes or so. But they're not good enough to play 40 minutes??? Makes no sense. The late game follies and tightness are a reflection of the coach just as the first 35 minutes are reflection of what he's put together as a team and game plan.

3) The lack of a cohesive, free-flowing offense has been a constant throughout his tenure...regardless of the personnel. Dan says he wants to play up-tempo but I don't see a concerted effort to rebound, outlet, and run. I don't see an offense that consistently moves the ball via the pass from side to side, forcing the defense to move. I see an offense where the point guard does a lot of dribbling followed by the standard high ball screen, try to penetrate to score or dish. There are more creative ways to run an offense. URI's offensive movement looks robotic. Think about the games that their offense looks good and what good offense looks like.

4) Credit to Dan and his staff for recruiting and getting transfers Iverson, Robinson, McGlynn. The true measure is how these recruits develop over their 4 years. And does the coaching staff do a great job of playing to each player's strengths. Remains to be seen.

5) Nobody wants to hear about injuries. Find me a team that hasn't had injuries of some sort. You either have a program or a roster of individuals. If you have a program, then you overcome. If not, then injuries and player loss (Hare, Billy B.) become a crutch as to why things are not panning out. If you think EC's return will automatically be the magic potion for 2016-17, then maybe you know something about recovery from ACL surgery that the rest of us don't. I'm cautious about his return and don't believe he'll be the player he once was. I hope he proves me wrong because I'm rooting for him.

What I'm sensing is that people aren't giving up on Dan. Being able to question things is legitimate, especially if we haven't seen the proof in the pudding yet. The URI loyal fan base has a growing level of frustration. They've given money, time, energy, and patience in support of this program for a long time. The expectation bar is set at a level higher than the 1980's and 90's. However to this point, the results of the 80's/90's era have been far superior to the results of the last 15 and more specifically the last 4 years. That's the disconnect. Fans have been asked to give more of themselves and have to yet to be rewarded. That can only last so long. So most (not all) URI fans support and believe in the Hurley Rams. But that belief and hope for the future is being tested. When does the future become the present?
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

IN DAN I TRUST
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:1) Frank Martin...he sits on the bench during the game. He only blows a gasket when he blows up. Same with Knight...he sat on the bench and only had his volcanic eruptions on the refs (or players) when warranted, which actually weren't that often. Dan is up the ENTIRE game...and seems to chirp, whine, complain, roll his eyes, throw his hands in the air on EVERY SINGLE CALL. It is constant and flat out embarrassing for the university. That behavior is not coaching. And if I were a ref, I wouldn't put it up with it either.

2) Dan's late game coaching has yet to prove he can close. So basically Dan's team and players are good enough to outplay (or play even with) opponents for 35 minutes or so. But they're not good enough to play 40 minutes??? Makes no sense. The late game follies and tightness are a reflection of the coach just as the first 35 minutes are reflection of what he's put together as a team and game plan.

3) The lack of a cohesive, free-flowing offense has been a constant throughout his tenure...regardless of the personnel. Dan says he wants to play up-tempo but I don't see a concerted effort to rebound, outlet, and run. I don't see an offense that consistently moves the ball via the pass from side to side, forcing the defense to move. I see an offense where the point guard does a lot of dribbling followed by the standard high ball screen, try to penetrate to score or dish. There are more creative ways to run an offense. URI's offensive movement looks robotic. Think about the gamest that their offense looks good and what good offense looks like.

4) Credit to Dan and his staff for recruiting and getting transfers Iverson, Robinson, McGlynn. The true measure is how these recruits develop over their 4 years. And does the coaching staff do a great job of playing to each player's strengths. Remains to be seen.

5) Nobody wants to hear about injuries. Find me a team that hasn't had injuries of some sort. You either have a program or a roster of individuals. If you have a program, then you overcome. If not, then injuries and player loss (Hare, Billy B.) become a crutch as to why things are not panning out.

What I'm sensing is that people aren't giving up on Dan. Being able to question things is legitimate, especially if we haven't seen the proof in the pudding yet. The URI loyal fan base has a growing level of frustration. They've given money, time, energy, and patience in support of this program for a long time. The expectation bar is set at a level higher than the 1980's and 90's. However to this point, the results of the 80's/90's era have been far superior to the results of the last 15 years. That's the disconnect. Fans have been asked to give more of themselves and have to yet to be rewarded. That can only last so long. So most (not all) URI fans support and believe in the Hurley Rams. But that belief and hope for the future is being tested. When does the future become the present?

not certain, but...this "kinda" sounds like 'giving up on Dan' a little, doesn't it? At least, I would think so if I read this (from a fan self-described as 'someone who knows something') and I was...I dunno...maybe...Dan:

No clue.
Good bye Dan. You weren't the answer.
Your players stink. JT and JG are the only legit players on this team. Hassan looks like he has quit.
Your coaching stinks. Your act is a joke.
It's another Baron. Just a matter of time before DH is gone. Good riddance.
Lose the rest of games. Finish yourself off.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

TruePoint wrote:
Wrong. Bad post.

Blue Man - it is insane and embarrassing for our fan base that what you wrote needs to be said, but it did need to be said. Thank you for saying it. I co-sign 100%.
This reply is really uncalled for and is an embarrassing and immature reactive post. I am sorry you feel you have to belittle opinions that do not exactly match yours. I had thought this board was a place to freely express one's views in a respectful manner. I am not calling for Dan's dismissal and laying ALL the blame on him. I greatly lowered my expectations for this season two games in after the EC injury and Valpo performance. I however did not think it would get this bad. I also feel that Hurley has not handled this year well and adapted to the changing circumstances. Like it or not, I feel that Dan bears quite a bit of responsibility for this season.
Last edited by RF1 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Wow! Grab the Koolaide in this thread.
Comparing Dan to Belichick?
When Dan wins anything, and this board goes negative,
then you can bitch.
Belichick has FOUR Super Bowl rings. Ridiculous analogy.
We had three starters out LAST NIGHT. Got that?
One game. It's not like the entire season has been so.
Counting EC as a loss for last night is equally absurd.
Someone asked about PCF without Dunn?
Where the hell were YOU two years ago?
Cooley lost Dunn, AND two top[ recruits
Did Cooley cry? Did he tell his players and press
how devastated he was?
NO!
He retooled, coached his ass off and went to the NCAAs.
Dan is paid over a million dollars a year.
He's responsible for the program, player evaluation,
and player development. Period.
Player evaluation is questionable in several cases.
How do you say EC is going to be a PG, when he can't handle the ball
if anyone is near him?
How do you look at Hassan and say he reminds you of
Trevion Graham of VCU?
How do you say you wouldn't take Pollard because you had Martin?
How was Biggie a lockdown defender?
Gil Biruta, one of the best in the A-10?
Reischel the best all around player on the team?
Oneykaba? Butler?
Have we ever come out of a timeout and executed a successful play?
How about saying there was never any buzz at URI?
Well, I remember ESPN doing their Midnight Madness from
Keaney Gym.
I remember our coaches, Penders and Harrick interviewed
frequently on national TV.
I remember an All American playing here.
I remember the best high school-prep player enrolling at URI.
I remember being 26 seconds from a Final Four.
No buzz ever?
How about no perspective ever?
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

so if we had Cooley we would be in the NCAA Tournament with the team we have right now?
Last edited by steveystuds06 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote:so if we had Cooley we would be in the NCAA with the team we have right now?
HA! :lol:
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
Wrong. Bad post.

This reply is really uncalled for and is an embarrassing and immature reactive post. I am sorry you feel you have to belittle opinions that do not exactly match yours. I had thought this board was a place to freely express one's views in a respectful manner. I am not calling for Dan's dismissal and laying ALL the blame on him. I greatly lowered my expectations for this season two games in after the EC injury and Valpo performance. I however did not think it would get this bad. I also feel that Hurley has not handled this year well and adapted to the changing circumstances. Like it or not, I feel that Dan bears quite a bit of responsibility for this season.
I'm just tired of trying to soft peddle my opinion and reason with people that are being unreasonable. I like you. I think you're a good fan and a smart guy, generally. But I really, honestly, truly think that your opinion on this is wrong and that it is bad. I'm sorry. I am not a blind supporter of the coach. The coach is not my dad, or my spouse or my kid or my best friend. If and when he screws up, I have no problem saying so. I think fans blaming the coach for whatever and to whatever extent they think things went wrong is unreasonable under the circumstances.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Sorry Koolaide drinkers, but
Ed Cooley is a far superior coach, like it or not.
Let me know when we're in the top 10 and beat the number
five ranked team in the nation.
Better yet, let me know the next time we beat an
Ed Cooley coached team.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Blue Man wrote:

I will start by saying, if you haven't already chalked this season up to snake-bitten, lost, and haven't found the cruel humor in it - I just feel bad for you. Let it go.

This season was lost 9 minutes after the opening tip. Basketball is a different game than football, baseball, hockey, soccer, rugby, or any team sport you can think of. It has the lowest amount of players; on a roster, in the lineup, or on the court by a long shot.

1 player makes all the difference. Why do you think the Celtics are at the deadline looking for "1 piece" to become a contender? Because 1 player can change a team from middle of the pack to championship contender just like that.

If you require the analogy - losing the guy on your basketball team who was one of the best in the country, your leading scorer, leading shooter, captain, leader, the guy who is the focal point of your offense, who makes everyone around him better - is the New England Patriots equivalent to losing Tom Brady, Dion Lewis, and Julian Edelman. Yes you still have Gronk, but no other options for a bail out, and now the defense can just triple cover your all pro TE and force an inexperienced QB to try and beat a defense that knows you're 1 dimensional with slim options.

I would love to see a Patriots message board melting down and blaming Bill Belichick and saying that we were never going to be good again.

Basketball is a team game that requires 1 STUD to take the heat of the defense on his shoulders, and still find ways to score, while opening up the rest of the team for more opportunities.

While EC may have not been the most efficient player on the floor, he still drew constant double-teams and close outs - yet still found a way to score over 16 a game. He was still a conference player of the year contender. You don't replace that with simple game plans and adjustments. Just having him on the court forced defenses to concentrate on him, allowing other players to develop and get open, with less pressure.

Now yes, I understand that we are a fragile and damaged people from years and years of mediocrity and suck. I spent last night watching the 1988 tournament run where Silk and Tom Garrick literally emasculated people on the floor, and it really put in perspective how far we've fallen in the decades since.

However - if you think that this season is an indictment of the coach, respectfully I am going to tell you that you're getting worked up about things that are out of the control of the coach, and directly I'm going to tell you you're flat wrong.

If you think that we are worse off today as a program or team than we were on March 3, 2012 get off this board and never watch sports again because you're an idiot. I don't know if people are losing sight of how bad things were before Dan got here - or if this is just frustration from missed expectations that were, again, out of the coaches control.

I am really shocked that people think that its coaching or the refs that are costing us games this year. Without EC we are not the elite team we thought we would be - no shit.

People who are losing their minds after last nights laugher where we're missing 3 starters - what were you expecting?

This season is laughable because we're so ridiculously snakebitten. Let it go.

I want to find any coach in the college ranks that could win a game on the road in their conference with 3 of their starters gone.

When you look at the Ryan Center and see all the new videoboards, or walk down the hall in tootell to see the new athletic training center, or any of the myriad of physical upgrades to the program - remember what that was like before Hurley.

When you see the recruiting classes loaded with talent and heralded guys, remember what those incoming classes were like before Hurley.

When you see all the offseason NATIONAL PRESS ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY OF FUCKING RHODE ISLAND'S BASKETBALL TEAM - remember that we never even had a buzz before Hurley.

If you're complaining about his sideline temper, you're just grasping at things to complain about. Frank Martin, Bob Knight, etc - all have tempers. Before you go and say they're hall of famers blah blah - yeah no shit, but they always had that personality. Winning didn't just happen out of thin air. When we're a winning program, Hurley will still have that attitude and no one will care because we're winning.

Dan's temper is well known and he's still bringing in the best consecutive recruiting classes we've ever had. We're still being reported about nationally.

Personally, I love his in-game style, because I want my coach to care as much as I do. If anyone on this board thinks Dan is OK with how this season has gone, regardless of the injuries, you're thick and stupid. Dan can't make basketball players make layups. Or hit open shots. At least we haven't once gotten the "I towld owah guyz to hit da shotz, dey just didn't do it" this season. Everything has been honest and accountable. No one is happy with the outcome of this year, but you can't control who gets injured when.

Last night we were playing without 40% of our scholarship roster - and people are on here complaining about freshman, transfers, and a spot shooter brought in to play 10 mins a game not being able to win an A10 conference game.

This team is having a snakebitten season. This board is a dumpster fire.

Yeah, we're onto next year - which is an unfortunate theme around here, but if you want to point the finger at someone (since it seems like that's what this board needs to do) go and point it upwards because we can't control catastrophic injuries normally never happen in basketball.

It's really sad that year 4 after a decimated rebuild where we've had a sex tape, binky needing baby, petulent temper throwing baby, and a catastrophic injury take away starters from this program with no warning or chance to adjust - that people are blaming the coach who has brought this program to a respectable place in the national spotlight, from total irrelevancy.

This season is an anomaly with regards to the level and type of injuries that we've had to deal with. It's closer to our school being cursed than it is a poor coaching job. If you truly believe that with EC Matthews we would currently be 12-10, or that without EC Matthews we were an NCAA at-large bid, you know nothing Jon Snow.

Let it go.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Put Dunn on our team and he will make Hurley look like a fucking genius. If Cooley puts his team in the top 25 consistently after Dunn is gone I'll buy that he is a far superior coach right now I don't...Yes he has a better record and more success at this point but I think Rhode Island will be the next NCAA team after this season.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Someone asked about PCF without Dunn?
Where the hell were YOU two years ago?
Cooley lost Dunn, AND two top[ recruits
Did Cooley cry? Did he tell his players and press
how devastated he was?
NO!
He retooled, coached his ass off and went to the NCAAs.
Dan is paid over a million dollars a year.
How do you say EC is going to be a PG, when he can't handle the ball
if anyone is near him?
Gil Biruta, one of the best in the A-10?
Reischel the best all around player on the team?
Oneykaba? Butler?
Have we ever come out of a timeout and executed a successful play?
How about no perspective ever?
Actually Cooley did cry early and often about losing his two players. And oh yeah, he lost those players because they were accused of sexual impropriety, not injury. And please point to which player on our roster matches up to Bryce Cotton.

Dan isn't currently paid over a million dollars.

Maybe EC could have played better with the ball last year if his hand wasn't mangled?

Dan admitted he was wrong about how the transfers were billed. He needed to fill a roster and create buzz in the fan base. He already admitted that.

Never come out of timeouts well? Several times this year we have, with the most notable being the end of game situation against Valparaiso where we were able to get our best three point shooter an open look.

Being overly negative doesn't give you any more perspective then people being overly positive.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

RR2 the new KING of Koolaide!
You talk about one play in four years? Seriously?

How about a little thing called player development?
Bentil as a soph is one of the best players in the country.
Dunn went from a question mark to POY candidate.
Cotton was a star by the time he graduated.
Has Hassan developed since late in his freshman season?
Look, I'm not putting this entire mess on Dan by any means.
Some things are beyond his control.
However, saying he's better than CFL is setting the bar pretty low.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

TruePoint wrote: I'm just tired of trying to soft peddle my opinion and reason with people that are being unreasonable. I like you. I think you're a good fan and a smart guy, generally. But I really, honestly, truly think that your opinion on this is wrong and that it is bad. I'm sorry. I am not a blind supporter of the coach. The coach is not my dad, or my spouse or my kid or my best friend. If and when he screws up, I have no problem saying so. I think fans blaming the coach for whatever and to whatever extent they think things went wrong is unreasonable under the circumstances.
I will throw out just one aspect of Dan's coaching where I think he has failed which has resulted (in my view) in multiple losses this season - his response to the officiating.

Do you feel he bears no responsibility for not teaching his players to defend per the new rules so that they don't get called for many ticky tack fouls and have to sit?

Do you not feel that Dan's sideline demeanor where he expresses his displeasure with nearly every call against his team has antagonized refs to the point that they are likely calling games in a manner to show him up (which most Rams fans think is the case per a poll here)? Do you think Dan's obsession with the refs has a good influence on his players during games?

Several losses this season can be squarely tied just to officiating - be it the loss of playing time for key URI players for foul trouble or the huge variance in free throw attempts for opponents. Dan does not seem to have made the necessary changes for himself or players to adapt to the officiating. The pattern has been repeated game after game without being corrected.
Last edited by RF1 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

TruePoint wrote:I said this last night in the UMass game thread in response to GBG, who has been very committed to forwarding his own peculiar version of reality in his posts after the last two games, but somehow there seems to be this revisionist idea that "these same problems" have been going on here since Dan arrived. What actually had been going on here since Dan arrived was that every team he's had has been appreciably better than the previous one, a pattern that absolutely would have continued had EC not gotten hurt.

I have been talking about the same in game problems for 3.5 years. If you like the offense and, especially, end game sets, well, we just disagree. Yes, the roster has improved which makes watching these close losses hurt even more.

Also, I stopped reading Blue Man's post after saying the season was over nine minutes in. I mean, give me a break. DH has four recruiting classes under his belt. Good talent. I get that the ceiling is lowered but it's ludicrous to say that. Take a look at the season prediction thread AFTER the injury. There is a legitimate shot to finish below every single stinking guess. That's underperforming. That's on DH.

And please spare me the "emotionally equipped" nonsense. It's an inconsequential message board. It's actually the perfect spot to be critical of the team. Maybe start a rainbows and puppy dogs section for Hurley worship? It's mind boggling to think anyone can watch this team and blame 100% of it on injury. 99/100 people before this season would have taken Hassan over Ben Bentil yet Cooley finds a way for him to blossom. He's exactly what I thought HM would be this year. Who really has gotten that much better over the last four years?
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Speaking of Bentil, as several have mentioned here, even Cooley was stunned by his play, and admitted that he was only a piece going into the season. This is not to detract from either Cooley or Bentil, but some athletes, Cotton and Bentil if we're talking PC came out of nowhere, even surprising their coach.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Anyone who watched Bentil last year, knew
he was the real deal.
I just don't think anyone expected it so soon.
0 x
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

rodfromcranston wrote:Anyone who watched Bentil last year, knew
he was the real deal.
I hope he isn't hurt too badly.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Anyone who watched Bentil last year, knew
he was the real deal.
That was exactly the point I was making. Even his coach was surprised.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

RAM67 wrote:Speaking of Bentil, as several have mentioned here, even Cooley was stunned by his play, and admitted that he was only a piece going into the season. This is not to detract from either Cooley or Bentil, but some athletes, Cotton and Bentil if we're talking PC came out of nowhere, even surprising their coach.
Right...it's why recruiting rankings are imperfect. Kids have different trajectories, ceilings, floors. But, coaching matters. Cooley let's him actually range more than 3 feet from the basket. His game has gotten better. I have probably been higher on Hassan than almost anyone on this board and am mystified by how he is used. I honestly thought (think?) that he had NBA upside. Way more than EC. Cooley has recruited, developed, and polished the games of NBA guys. I was hard on X while he was here but the more I read about him now the more I realize the staff's inability to get the best out of him. Both years with a higher turnover than assist rate.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Anyone who seriously thinks EC is the difference between an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament and almost a .500 record is insane. EC is a great player but he's not a Steph Curry, Kris Dunn or any lottery pick. No one can say for certain whether he'll even get drafted based on his play we've seen so far so calling him one of the best players in the country is a bit of a stretch. He's our best player but this team still has too much talent even without him to be losing some of the games we've lossed.

A lot of the people here who refuse to criticize anything Dan Hurley does are the same ones who were extremely confident that Dan Hurley would find a way to bring in a big man this year which obviously didn't happen. They also are the same people who seem to forget that Hurley's record against top 50 teams is atrocious. It's pretty common in college basketball for teams to pull off upsets but how many games has Hurley won that were upsets? Next year really is make or break for Dan and I don't know how anyone can think for certain that we're going to be an NCAA tournament team.

Honestly it's just really disappointing that so many fans completely gave up on this season because we lost EC. Obviously we're not going to be as good as we would have been with EC but it seems like too many people here just are willing to accept shitty play because this season is lost in their eyes. And the argument that things are better now than Baron's last year is just stupid. We were a fucking dumpster fire in Baron's last year. Of course things are going to be better now because it would have been tough to get any worse.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

+1!
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

TruePoint wrote:
Wrong. Bad post.

I just saw a post in the game thread that you wrote and I agree with almost all of it, I'll go over there and highlight that, then there's this ignorant mess!!

Really?!??! Everything RF1 posted here is wrong? the whole lot of it? Okay, your shtick is lame!
Some of RF1's posts are not my thing at all, then some are partially agreeable and some right on. In this particular post RF1 makes at least 8 separate and debatable points, of course you address none of them and claim the whole thing wrong and a bad post. That's what qualifies you as a clown, one that probably has the capacity for critical thinking but usually refuses it and instead makes broad inflammatory statements, its just lame. By stating that RF1 is wrong, you state the whole post is wrong, which in turns means you believe everything that has been mentioned is a direct result of the injury to E.C. and if anything that is wrong.

I absolutely love when people don't debate actual points with counter points and just lay pool turds.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RAM67 wrote:Speaking of Bentil, as several have mentioned here, even Cooley was stunned by his play, and admitted that he was only a piece going into the season. This is not to detract from either Cooley or Bentil, but some athletes, Cotton and Bentil if we're talking PC came out of nowhere, even surprising their coach.
So, who was responsible for their rapid development?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:
TruePoint wrote: I'm just tired of trying to soft peddle my opinion and reason with people that are being unreasonable. I like you. I think you're a good fan and a smart guy, generally. But I really, honestly, truly think that your opinion on this is wrong and that it is bad. I'm sorry. I am not a blind supporter of the coach. The coach is not my dad, or my spouse or my kid or my best friend. If and when he screws up, I have no problem saying so. I think fans blaming the coach for whatever and to whatever extent they think things went wrong is unreasonable under the circumstances.
I will throw out just one aspect of Dan's coaching where I think he has failed which has resulted (in my view) in multiple losses this season - his response to the officiating.

Do you feel he bears no responsibility for not teaching his players to defend per the new rules so that they don't get called for many ticky tack fouls and have to sit?

Do you not feel that Dan's sideline demeanor where he expresses his displeasure with nearly every call against his team has antagonized refs to the point that they are likely calling games in a manner to show him up (which most Rams fans think is the case per a poll here)? Do you think Dan's obsession with the refs has a good influence on his players during games?

Several losses this season can be squarely tied just to officiating - be it the loss of playing time for key URI players for foul trouble or the huge variance in free throw attempts for opponents. Dan does not seem to have made the necessary changes for himself or players to adapt to the officiating. The pattern has been repeated game after game without being corrected.
I don't totally disagree with everything you're saying here. My point has never been that the coaching staff is perfect in every respect. My point is that if EC hadn't gotten hurt and was playing, we wouldn't be talking about any of those things - at least not incessantly - because the team would be winning.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

oh yeah and joeski, +1
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Running Ram wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
RF1 wrote:
I absolutely love when people don't debate actual points with counter points and just lay pool turds.
"Pool turds"...I think that should be over in the 'what could possibly make the beer situation worse' thread?
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:"Pool turds"...I think that should be over in the 'what could possibly make the beer situation worse' thread?
haha, I don't mind the levity, better if you concentrate on amusing us than trying to act as though every single criticism that anyone ever makes about the program is insane, just that fact alone about your posting habits discredits you.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Running Ram wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
Wrong. Bad post.

I just saw a post in the game thread that you wrote and I agree with almost all of it, I'll go over there and highlight that, then there's this ignorant mess!!

Really?!??! Everything RF1 posted here is wrong? the whole lot of it? Okay, your shtick is lame!
Some of RF1's posts are not my thing at all, then some are partially agreeable and some right on. In this particular post RF1 makes at least 8 separate and debatable points, of course you address none of them and claim the whole thing wrong and a bad post. That's what qualifies you as a clown, one that probably has the capacity for critical thinking but usually refuses it and instead makes broad inflammatory statements, its just lame. By stating that RF1 is wrong, you state the whole post is wrong, which in turns means you believe everything that has been mentioned is a direct result of the injury to E.C. and if anything that is wrong.

I am as game as anyone here to have a point-by-point debate about ... pretty much anything, really. But I do feel like I am making the same arguments over and over again to the point where anyone that cares (and many that don't care at all) knows what I think. I know I don't love it when other posters post the same stuff ad nauseam. In this case, for sure, I felt like I was reading something for the 1000th time that everyone knows how I feel about it. So yeah, I was dismissive about it. Maybe I could have given a more thoughtful response.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Running Ram wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:"Pool turds"...I think that should be over in the 'what could possibly make the beer situation worse' thread?
haha, I don't mind the levity, better if you concentrate on amusing us than trying to act as though every single criticism that anyone ever makes about the program is insane, just that fact alone about your posting habits discredits you.
I love levity...please, feel free to bring it at my expense. ;) I don't think every single criticism is insane...but, I do think these kinds of posts are a little bit insane:
-this coach sucks
-it's the end of the world
-regardless of the circumstances, the coach should just win or he sucks
-we're doomed for all time
-this coach sucks
-I've been watching this forever and it's always the same
-this coach sucks (again)
-this coach sucks (still)

Everything just seems like it has to be so final, absolute and never-changing (and to another poster's credit - like it's a great "race to predict future demise")... it's sports for cryin' out loud and college sports at that. Things can change on a dime. This year's team could win the A10 tournament and next year's could lose every game...Probably next to no one really thinks that, but who really knows...it's why we watch? It's supposed to be fun, right? So how fun is it to constantly read about how bad things are, have been and, will always be? sheeesh......

And frankly, I'm not posting here for credit or credibility...feel free to discredit me all you want. ;)
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

RF1 I think you hit the nail right on the head. Agree with you and Rod and RR on this. Does not mean I think Hurley can't be successful. I think he will be successful. I think he needs to trust his players a little more, let them play the game, not try to script every little thing, be just a little more relaxed. I think the constant intensity rubs off on the players, and he, and the kids, then tighten up in big spots. They need to trust their talent, and Dan needs to trust his players to make the plays.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Ram1019 wrote:My expectations for the season changed after EC went down as well, however, not to this extent. While I'm in no way blaming Dan for this season completely, I will simply remind everyone that when Ed Cooley lost Kris Dunn to injury before the start of the season, he promptly proceeded to win a Big East title. There were no excuses.
Also, PC did not earn an At-Large bid that year, either. They got in only because they got hot at MSG. They were 10-8 entering the (New Catholic) Big East Tournament and had a favorable route (Johnnies and Seton Hall) where they had a chance at Creighton in the final.

There is a non-zero chance that with a fully healthy (sans EC) team, URI could get hot in Brooklyn and with some fortune (As with PC in MSG that year), steal a auto-bid.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund