The remaining schedule looks bleak

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

The remaining schedule looks bleak

Unread post by RF1 »

URI is now 12-10 overall and 4-5 in A-10 play. Half the league season is in the books and nine games remain:

@Lasalle
GMU
Dayton
@VCU
Duquesne
@Davidson
@Dayton
UMass
@Fordham

Rhody has performed extremely poor in true road games winning only at Brown. It may therefore be very hardpressed to win a single A-10 road game this season. The best chance is probably versus LaSalle this weekend but if they are shorthanded again, the prospects don't look too good. Furthermore, winning out at home is highly doubtful as URI hosts Dayton and the Rams have shown they can't beat good teams (home or away). I unfortunately now think the most realistic finish to the regular season is 15-16. Any shot at an NIT bid is now long gone. It will be an uphill struggle to just close out this dreadful season .500 or better.

How do others see this playing out from here?
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Re: The remaining schedule looks bleak

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

I guess it depends who actually suits up but I see a 5-4 finish. Lose a game they shouldn't and win one of the Dayton/Dayton/VCU games.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Gonebarongone wrote:I guess it depends who actually suits up but I see a 5-4 finish. Lose a game they shouldn't and win one of the Dayton/Dayton/VCU games.
Where are your five wins coming from? You must have them winning several road games, something they haven't done almost all year.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

It's a fair point but I think they win four out of @LaSalle (#290 kenpom...that's really bad), GMU, Duq, UMass, @Fordham. And then win one of Davidson/Dayton/Dayton/VCU.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Gonebarongone wrote:It's a fair point but I think they win four out of @LaSalle (#290 kenpom...that's really bad), GMU, Duq, UMass, @Fordham. And then win one of Davidson/Dayton/Dayton/VCU.

That seems overly optimistic to me. Nothing I have seen from this team thus far leads me to believe IT WILL (as opposed to can) win five of its last nine games.
0 x
Keatgsr07
Kenny Green

Unread post by Keatgsr07 »

I'm amazed that you're seeing five more wins (GBG)?

Hate to call you out on that, but that's a total homer prediction. This team has proven, as handicapped as they've been this season, that they can't win on the road or against greater than 150 RPI teams.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I see 4 more wins, at best.

Finish over .500, for cripes sake.

There are still things to care about......
0 x
Keatgsr07
Kenny Green

Unread post by Keatgsr07 »

Agree, four wins is the ceiling from here on out.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

5-4 for 9-9 finish
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I can see home wins against; GMU(even w/o KI and JG), Dukes, and UMass. All the others losses. No road wins. This all assumes KI and JG are both back after GMU. Not a pretty picture, but it is what it is....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Duquesne is playing better. We don't have the depth to counter that uptempo offense.

We usually have trouble with them anyway, just like Fordham in NY.

If we don't get KI and JG back soon, we might not even win 4 more games.

On a POSITIVE note, we win last night easy if just JG had played. 51 points in regulation against the worst defensive team in the A10, tells you all you need to know about our offense without Jarvis.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Why even bother picking the amount of wins? We've done that before EC, after EC, and about three more times after that.

We're just setting ourselves up for disappoint continuing to pick games we'll win and lose.

I'll just be watching the rest of the games even keel, not getting upset at the results.

We are what we are.
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote:Why even bother picking the amount of wins? We've done that before EC, after EC, and about three more times after that.

We're just setting ourselves up for disappoint continuing to pick games we'll win and lose.

I'll just be watching the rest of the games even keel, not getting upset at the results.

We are what we are.
Agree, it is what it is.
Need to focus the strategy on being ready for the A10 Tournament. Right minutes to the right players. Gaining some momentum. Go to Brooklyn with a giant chip on our shoulder.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Crap year. 4 years of playing teams close regardless of who puts the jerseys on.

Doesn't mean URI can't have a good year next year. They need to focus on getting better.

Any sign of adversity and this year's team has folded. Im not saying their effort. Im saying their results. You get credit for wins and losses.

JG looks like the stud of whats left. EC and JG next year with their sidekicks Martin and Terrell hopefully win some games.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Keatgsr07 wrote:I'm amazed that you're seeing five more wins (GBG)?

Hate to call you out on that, but that's a total homer prediction. This team has proven, as handicapped as they've been this season, that they can't win on the road or against greater than 150 RPI teams.
You know...it goes hand in hand probably with the frustration I have with the staff. Even without EC, this roster has a ton of talent and now we've talked ourselves into otherwise. This is not Duke, Louisville, UNC coming up, right? The staff has a very good PG and a talented big. That's a great starting point. Add in JT and a few others you should win some freaking games! Right now, the offense is terrible, the tempo is terrible, the average length of possession is almost the slowest pace in D-1 yet we slog down every stinking possession. If DH could call 70 timeouts per game to set up a play he would. Let these guys run a bit. The defense is good enough to win all nine games, honestly.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

NO GOOD WINS

Unread post by RF1 »

URI has not beaten a single team currently in the RPI top 100. It has just two wins versus the current 100-150 RPI (Hosuton & Richmond at home). All the rest of its wins are against 150+ RPI teams (has two losses to 150+). It is a pretty sobering fact that Rhody cannot beat good teams. It may have battled some of them tough but ultimately lost. Expecting a win in any of our four games versus UD (2x), VCU, or Davidson is not borne out by performance to date.

OPPONENT | W/L | RPI 02-02-15
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
American | W | 257
Valpo | L | 35
Cleveland St | W | 263
vsTCU | W | 161
vsMaryland | L | 8
Rider | W | 247
Holy Cross | W | 278
PC | L | 28
Houston | W | 104
@Nebraska | L | 156
Iona | W | 166
@ODU | L | 155
@Brown | W | 305
St Louis | W | 187
Richmond | W | 110
@St Joe's | L | 29
@SBU | L | 62
LaSalle | W | 229
@GW | L | 55
Fordham | W | 170
St Joe's | L | 29
@Umass | L | 184
@LaSalle | | 229
GMU | | 183
Dayton | | 12
@VCU | | 33
Duq | | 92
@Davidson | | 57
@Dayton | | 12
UMass | | 184
@Fordham | | 170
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Honestly you never really know with basketball. For example, a sad Depaul team taking down #11 PC last night among plenty of other shockers this season.

0 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:Honestly you never really know with basketball. For example, a sad Depaul team taking down #11 PC last night among plenty of other shockers this season.

And that is why this sport rocks ... and it's so worthwhile to go to Brooklyn....
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Should Berry get more minutes the rest of this year? The eye test might say no. The numbers say otherwise. Berry has played 49 minutes this season. In those 49 minutes, which is about a game and a quarter, he has 17 points and 20 rebounds. That's production. It might not be pretty, but it's productive. And I know he probably can't guard anybody, but neither can Four, who is getting plenty of minutes with poor production in many games.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Billyboy78 I would like to see a bit more Berry especially against weaker teams like we played last night.

I think he might be quickly exposed vs VCU and DAYTON.

He earned more minutes IMHO with his performance last night.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I think Berry needs more minutes every game until KI comes back. We can't go on a front court of Hass, Earl and Akele. Especially when Hass or Earl gets in any foul trouble. Put the big guy in there and see what he can do.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

rhodylaw wrote:I think Berry needs more minutes every game until KI comes back. We can't go on a front court of Hass, Earl and Akele. Especially when Hass or Earl gets in any foul trouble. Put the big guy in there and see what he can do.
Can't argue with any of that....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I noticed before the Umass game that Berry's box score or stats for the season looked great on a per/40min basis.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry