Injury Updates

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Injury Updates

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Has there been any updates posted anywhere?
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
BornNBred33
Steve Chubin

Re: Injury Updates

Unread post by BornNBred33 »

I heard KI has a concussion, but I totally missed what happened to JG.....
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Bill Belichick is handling the injury reports
for URI.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

BornNBred33 wrote:I heard KI has a concussion, but I totally missed what happened to JG.....
Jaw.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Kuran is definitely out for Tuesday, possible two weeks.

Jarvis will be wearing a mask but should be good to go.
0 x
Go Rhody
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rodfromcranston wrote:Bill Belichick is handling the injury reports
for URI.
I'm sensing this is meant as a criticism, but I think any coach that reveals anything more than he is required to by rule about the nature or severity of an injury to a player is a fool. I don't get why any coach would ever do that or why any media member or fan would expect them to. What is there to gain?
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Duh! Maybe followers of the program actually
give a shit about the players who are injured.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:Duh! Maybe followers of the program actually
give a shit about the players who are injured.
That's cool, but how does that help the team win? I'm sure if any of the players were facing a life threatening situation or something that could result in lifelong debilitation, we'd hear about it. Otherwise, I don't think the fans really have a personal need to know, and if they don't need to know I'd rather the team not put itself at a strategic disadvantage by sharing that information.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

More likely to me than either of your opinions is that they don't know.

So maybe they wait until they know?

If Dan Hurley thinks holding back names of injured guys will help in securing victory against Umass then he is less of a coach than I thought.

Head games are for good teams. Not 500. ballpark teams(12-9).
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

It isn't a head game. Disclosing the nature and severity of a player's injury endangers that player in a real way, and it also gives the opposing team more time to make adjustments based on who your personnel will be. I don't understand the attitude that only excellent teams should try to protect their players, or that mediocre teams should be compelled to hand their opponents a strategic advantage.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

TruePoint wrote:It isn't a head game. Disclosing the nature and severity of a player's injury endangers that player in a real way, and it also gives the opposing team more time to make adjustments based on who your personnel will be. I don't understand the attitude that only excellent teams should try to protect their players, or that mediocre teams should be compelled to hand their opponents a strategic advantage.
Not all situations are the same. Everyone knows these two guys had pretty significant head injuries.
Not sure how giving an update on their condition "endangers the player(s here) in a real way"?

And rfc, we don't often, ok, never, agree...but, even though I don't like the guy, he is the best coach ever...and the 'Belichik is handling the injury reports' reference is always clever.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Bill Belichick is handling the injury reports
for URI.
They've provided constant updates with EC's injury. And you said the same thing when it came to the Hassan Martin injury after the ODU game. Then at the first media availability after the holiday break Dan had an update. I just think we're used to pro coaches having a press conference practically every day during the season, but that doesn't seem to be the case for college coaches, especially when it comes to URI basketball. In theory he could float the news to one of the reporters he's friendly to before a media availability session, but you're talking a day or two extra notice.

Overall I think they've been fine with injury updates. They gave what they had about each player following the game. And if Kuran does have a concussion, due to the nature of the injury I'm not sure how much more they can give for an update.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:It isn't a head game. Disclosing the nature and severity of a player's injury endangers that player in a real way, and it also gives the opposing team more time to make adjustments based on who your personnel will be. I don't understand the attitude that only excellent teams should try to protect their players, or that mediocre teams should be compelled to hand their opponents a strategic advantage.
Not all situations are the same. Everyone knows these two guys had pretty significant head injuries.
Not sure how giving an update on their condition "endangers the player(s here) in a real way"?
I don't know whether it would or wouldn't in this particular case, but if I was the coach it would be policy not to disclose injury information. It can never help you, so why waste time trying to figure out whether it can hurt you in every instance?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I'm not a doctor, but head injuries involving the brain are a not a laughing matter.

If KI has bleeding on the brain, there's no frigging way he's playing tomorrow night, especially since he would likely be pushed around at will by UMass, and the refs will look the other way.....

I doubt JG will be very effective either if he even plays, since I doubt he has any experience playing with a mask on his face.

Since he will wear one, I'm assuming he has a hairline jaw fracture, and will continue to wear it for a while.

Maybe the entire team should wear football helmets anyway......since it's OK by the refs to beat the shit out of our players.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Did not see this injury thread so I am re-posting my comment from the UMass thread:

What I heard was that Iverson was first brought to South County Hospital and then transferred to RI Hospital. He had a CAT scan of brain and it showed bleeding which is worse condition than simple bruising of the brain. I believe he is out for a least two weeks.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Thanks Obie. That's where I got that info.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

There is no endangering them. Only if you put them out there too early.

The injury report and style from the Pats is part of their strategy. Pats are always trying to force the other team to prepare for everything. Pats are a dynasty.

What I am saying is it doesn't matter if Umass thinks they have to game plan for Jarvis or KI. The game will come down to whether Umass gets hot or not. Umass will get hot and run Rhody out of the building or they won't and likely play URI close in a pick 'em.

Thats my opinion. BB is notorious for what I would call playing games with the IR. Whether that be putting too much stuff or leaving stuff off of the IR.

IMHO URI doesn't need to do that today because we suck and if the kids aren't ready then thats fine. But its not like DH is springing JG or KI on Umass. Even with them URI had an up hill battle winning an away game with a team that doesn't win away games or games in general.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

My only concern is for the health of the 2 players. I couldn't give a shot less about the UMass game. Or any other, for that matter.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:More likely to me than either of your opinions is that they don't know.

If Dan Hurley thinks holding back names of injured guys will help in securing victory against Umass then he is less of a coach than I thought.

So he would be a better coach if he said, we suck, here is some info that could help you out against us? That's an interesting take.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

True, 85. This season isn't going to turn around in a good way, at any point going forward.

But it could completely fall apart. It could get REALLY ugly, and fast.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

How's this board going to be if we lose tomorrow?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Can't get much worse.

If KI and JG were healthy, I would have said we should finally win at UMass.

Now, I think we lose.

Really, just awful.

The season is toast anyway. I think people are just waiting for the next bomb to drop......
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

ramfan85 wrote:How's this board going to be if we lose tomorrow?
IMO, the only game this board should care about is a game we hope to be playing in on March 13, the results of any other URI game this year is basically meaningless.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

adam914 wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:More likely to me than either of your opinions is that they don't know.

So he would be a better coach if he said, we suck, here is some info that could help you out against us? That's an interesting take.
No, MY opinion of the team, Dan, the program, these injuries, and the A10 are all separate.

(1) They have left wins on the table and those losses make every new loss more glaring because they pile up. This team is/was immature. They are getting a boatload of lessons. Next year will be rife with challenges and adversity but basketball teams overcome them or they don't. The former we celebrate and the later we forget(unless you're talking 2007 Rhody).

(2) I think Dan is fine. Judging just him I think he has hit a series of bumps in the road and he is doing the best that he can. He isn't doing anything magical, but thats fine. The team that will be available next year is exciting. The recruiting class was exciting. His persona I wouldn't ask for any other.

(3) The program is healthy. Needs a tourney invite and things will be good.

(4) The injuries? They all come with a timetable, with head injuries that time reference is often difficult to determine, thus you air on the side of caution. Especially with kids.

(5) The league has allowed Rhody to play an uphill battle with the refs culminating in 2 kids knocked out of the game, which is unheard of in basketball. Add insult to injury the Joes Hawks were taunting the crowd and behaving antagonistic.

What Dan says about the injuries? Doesn't matter because he doesn't know. Head injuries are still extremely unknown. If you follow head injuries in local media markets across the country there are several ways that staffs handle them. For instance the sensitivity to light or the new opinion that light may help. Who knows?
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Obadiah wrote:Did not see this injury thread so I am re-posting my comment from the UMass thread:

What I heard was that Iverson was first brought to South County Hospital and then transferred to RI Hospital. He had a CAT scan of brain and it showed bleeding which is worse condition than simple bruising of the brain. I believe he is out for a least two weeks.
Obviously bleeding on the brain can be very, very serious.

The good news is that I just call RI hospital and they do not have anyone by Kuron's name in the hospital.

It is a good week!!!!
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Don't really remember; does anyone remember if any st joes player or coach come over to Kuran or Jarvis when they were on the floor or being helped off the floor?
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

McRam wrote:Don't really remember; does anyone remember if any st joes player or coach come over to Kuran or Jarvis when they were on the floor or being helped off the floor?
Bembry came over and gave him a pat on the back as he was being helped off the court.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RoadyJay wrote:
McRam wrote:Don't really remember; does anyone remember if any st joes player or coach come over to Kuran or Jarvis when they were on the floor or being helped off the floor?
Bembry came over and gave him a pat on the back as he was being helped off the court.
Is this true? I was at the game and don't remember seeing it, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

steviep123 wrote:
RoadyJay wrote:
Is this true? I was at the game and don't remember seeing it, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.
Yes, he clapped first when he got up then walked over to pat him on the back. He kind of had to reach through/across a few people that were helping him off.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I also saw Bembry do that. One would think the assailant would have had some compassion. Nobody was near Garrett as he was helped off the court. I wonder if anyone from the St Joe's contingent asked how the injured were doing after the game.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Garrett got hit hard in the jaw and mouth. Heard he possibly lost a tooth.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

ramster wrote:Garrett got hit hard in the jaw and mouth. Heard he possibly lost a tooth.
As someone who has had teeth break while playing Basketball at URI and while playing tackle football, I would have to say that is what my visual assessment from the stands was.
Jarvis appeared to be grabbing his mouth. Then he pounded the floor. I don't know how to describe it, but there's something that just infuriates you when you feel a little lighter in the mouth and realize the one thing you always hoped would stay in tact well into old age gets busted by some dumb incident. Plus, you look weird when you smile until you can get the dental work done. I don't know what it is....I could get 9 stitches on a cut and be fine, but getting hit in the mouth makes me want to floor someone. haha. Anyway, my wild guess would be that could be what happened, based on how pissed Garrett seemed to be. I'm simply going by the rage factor on this. No proof. All speculation.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Definitely lost a tooth. The trainer had it in his hand and showed it to Hurley when the coach came out to check on JG. The whole thing happened right in front of us in Section 110.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Imagine how bad it would have been if the ref felt he was fouled.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

This might be a response for the game thread or the refs thread, I've been fighting with Twittiots (just came up with that name, though I doubt I'm the first to say it), bitching about Hurley's antics and how embarrassing they say they were. Say what you want about other games, but I felt Hurley's frustration was more than 100% justified. My response to those jokers was to the effect of, "two players got sent to the hospital, probably because the refs lost control. One of the injuries didn't even have a foul called until Hurley pleaded with them and the ensuing play got CT his fourth foul, which shouldn't have happened." I know some on here think Hurley can be boorish at times. I can't say b/c I generally don't focus on the coaches during the games. But any coach worth his salt on Saturday night would have lost his mind based on the refereeing. It didn't cost them the game (poor shooting did), but it lost control of the game and could have resulted in those injuries.

That said, I hope Iverson and Garrett are back soon and no worse for the wear.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The Saint Joseph's fans reflect their team and coaches re the Ram injuries - total silence and absolutely no concern whatsoever.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Back in the day when tv coverage was scarce for everyone except Temple, whenever John Chaney was interviewed, he always took time to pump the league up. For some reason, he would always mention us favorably.
The prick at SJU only talked about his team. As I've said before, I cheer for anyone who plays them-even PC.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

From reading all these posts, it almost seems like the refs agreed before the game, that they would all screw URI.

Usually when there is bad officiating, there is at least one ref who does a decent job making up for the others' bad calls.

I don't think any of them did that. The A10's policy as stated, says that they won't make public any punishment for poor officiating.

In this case, they should. How do we know they are doing anything about it, otherwise?

It seems that the shit show extends to the league office. Are Thorr and Dooley just going to let this slide also?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Let's try to keep this thread for injury updates, rather than ref competence. Thank you.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

eli#10 wrote:Definitely lost a tooth. The trainer had it in his hand and showed it to Hurley when the coach came out to check on JG. The whole thing happened right in front of us in Section 110.
Thanks for confirming, I thought that was the case.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

There is a another game Saturday night at LaSalle. Any updates on the status of Garrett and Iverson?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

With Iverson not even traveling with the team to UMass I find it hard to believe he'll be playing Saturday.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:With Iverson not even traveling with the team to UMass I find it hard to believe he'll be playing Saturday.

That is probably a good assessment. Hopefully, Garrett can play. In my view, he is needed more.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RF1 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:With Iverson not even traveling with the team to UMass I find it hard to believe he'll be playing Saturday.

That is probably a good assessment. Hopefully, Garrett can play. In my view, he is needed more.
Yeah, agreed. Based on no actual knowledge of the situation at all, I am kind of expecting to see Garrett out there Saturday. Maybe just wishful thinking.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

adam914 wrote:
RF1 wrote:

Yeah, agreed. Based on no actual knowledge of the situation at all, I am kind of expecting to see Garrett out there Saturday. Maybe just wishful thinking.
Take it from me :lol: 'wishful thinking' is more than enough...actual knowledge is optional.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Has anyone heard anything official about Iverson? The rumor around here confirmed? Did they actually find blood on/in his brain? Because if that's the case we shouldn't be worrying about whether he's going to play next game or the game after that, we should be sending our prayers for a full recovery regardless of when he can get back on the court, I really feel for this guy and the more I think of that replay the more upset I get and would like a statement or something about it from the league. I want to see the fucksack that elbowed him twice in the space of one stride, apologize, hopefully state it was completely accidental and I want to see his eyes and read his face if he were to make such a statement. I want our athletic department to address this. Can I get the opinions of others on this? Am I over-reacting? Is this unrealistic to want our University to address this with the league?
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Running Ram wrote:Has anyone heard anything official about Iverson? The rumor around here confirmed? Did they actually find blood on/in his brain? Because if that's the case we shouldn't be worrying about whether he's going to play next game or the game after that, we should be sending our prayers for a full recovery regardless of when he can get back on the court, I really feel for this guy and the more I think of that replay the more upset I get and would like a statement or something about it from the league. I want to see the fucksack that elbowed him twice in the space of one stride, apologize, hopefully state it was completely accidental and I want to see his eyes and read his face if he were to make such a statement. I want our athletic department to address this. Can I get the opinions of others on this? Am I over-reacting? Is this unrealistic to want our University to address this with the league?
agree
It was a very scary moment
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote:
Running Ram wrote:Has anyone heard anything official about Iverson? The rumor around here confirmed? Did they actually find blood on/in his brain? Because if that's the case we shouldn't be worrying about whether he's going to play next game or the game after that, we should be sending our prayers for a full recovery regardless of when he can get back on the court, I really feel for this guy and the more I think of that replay the more upset I get and would like a statement or something about it from the league. I want to see the fucksack that elbowed him twice in the space of one stride, apologize, hopefully state it was completely accidental and I want to see his eyes and read his face if he were to make such a statement. I want our athletic department to address this. Can I get the opinions of others on this? Am I over-reacting? Is this unrealistic to want our University to address this with the league?
agree
It was a very scary moment

We already saw the response of Miles. He made it immediately after the contact with Iverson that sent him to the floor. He put his hands up and looked at the ref as if to say (he may actually have even verbalized it but I was too far away) what foul?
0 x