Game 22: @ UMASS Tuesday Feb 2, 7:00pm TV:ASN

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Game 22: @ UMASS Tuesday Feb 2, 7:00pm TV:ASN

Unread post by ramster »

Quickly moving on
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Game 22: @ UMASS Tuesday Feb 2, 7:00pm TV:ASN

Unread post by RF1 »

URI's chances at a win will be very much connected to the status of Garrett and Iverson.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RF1 wrote:URI's chances at a win will be very much connected to the status of Garrett and Iverson.
It could be Brown redux (no Iverson or Martin). Get ready for some AB and maybe even Rex. One possible upside is that, 4 will probably shoot lights out against a team like this...
0 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

Shane Plunkett subbing in? He has a really good shot and seems to play in control...

I think we win the next 3 games comfortably..
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Looks like they will be playing, for at least the short term, with a depleted, less athletic roster. Working in some zone (working at it hard in practice) would definitely seem to be a good thing at this point...
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Joe wrote:Shane Plunkett subbing in? He has a really good shot and seems to play in control...

I think we win the next 3 games comfortably..
What are you drinking?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Any updates on the injuries?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I'd be surprised if Iverson were able to play so quickly.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

UMass is horrible and their fans and students have deserted them.

Rhode Island should crush that mess even with JG and KI out.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

UMass just lost to Fordham at home, they will come out ready to play on Tuesday.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Really, who cares? All the games moving forward are meaningless. the only game that would mean anything, is if they miraculously made it to the A10 championship game. stick a fork in this season...

I still want them to win, it just seems silly to waste time previewing each game when all that matters at this point is wins, regardless of opponent...nothing else. That is the only preview and discussion that matters when you have pissed away your season. Just win...UMass preview/discussion over.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote:Really, who cares? All the games moving forward are meaningless. the only game that would mean anything, is if they miraculously made it to the A10 championship game. stick a fork in this season...

I still want them to win, it just seems silly to waste time previewing each game when all that matters at this point is wins, regardless of opponent...nothing else. That is the only preview and discussion that matters when you have pissed away your season. Just win...UMass preview/discussion over.
Well...apparently...YOU care enough to come read this?
Option 2 (aside from telling people that their conversation is over) might be to...vote with your feet and not join it?
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I don't tell you how you should be a fan and conduct yourself. Should I put a disclaimer that the opinion stated is mine and doesn't necessarily reflect the views of the board? Of coarse I care or I wouldn't be here! I just pointed out that I think the fun of previewing games is over...to me the only thing that matters is a win. All the other stuff is noise at this point. I was giving my opinion of previews at this point in time, you obviously feel different...good for you. Enjoy the preview discussion.
Last edited by RIFan 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

RIFan, 208 just became a fan. Whatever that means.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Love the Shane's of the college BB world, but coaches coach to win the games.....increasing his and the others minutes.....put down for ano. Maybe the UMass students come out to see "the show"......and maybe try to incite; do the students sit directly behind the visitors bench in Mullin?....wonder if Thorr will make the trip......he should, our coach was his "vision....".....I think Thorr owns the problem....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Happy to have more fans. But just realize everyone is different. I may not agree with others observations or opinions, but I will never tell someone how they should grieve a dead/dieing season.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

It will not be an easy game if Iverson and Garrett are out. In fact if both are out
I expect a loss. The way Four is shooting, without Iverson and Garett the only
perimeter threat is Terrell and he is up and down too. without Garrett and Iverson
it could be very ugly.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

section(105) wrote:Love the Shane's of the college BB world, but coaches coach to win the games.....increasing his and the others minutes.....put down for ano. Maybe the UMass students come out to see "the show"......and maybe try to incite; do the students sit directly behind the visitors bench in Mullin?....wonder if Thorr will make the trip......he should, our coach was his "vision....".....I think Thorr owns the problem....

Whoa, that's a leap. Every single URI fan supported Dan's hire as coach. And we all want him to succeed. Will he? who knows.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

luke, I think it could be very ugly, too. Still expecting a win though. Four's game seems to rise in direct disproportion to quality of opponent. Given that they could be in for a hugely different rotation, would love to see them break out something new...like maybe a lot of zone...

Hopefully, the team and coaches keep learning...the talent is there...
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

luke wrote:It will not be an easy game if Iverson and Garrett are out. In fact if both are out
I expect a loss. The way Four is shooting, without Iverson and Garett the only
perimeter threat is Terrell and he is up and down too. without Garrett and Iverson
it could be very ugly.
I think its going to be a very ugly game regardless of who plays for us. Even with Jarvis and Kuran, why would anyone who's watched this team play on the road think we should win this game? We're a struggling team with no offensive identity, and we play with a defensive mindset that only racks up fouls. Forget about how bad UMass is for a second and just focus on our own program, I would expect a very close game that we manage to lose in the end. Regardless, as someone pointed out earlier, the only "meaningful" game remaining for the fans would be the championship game of the A10 tournament. Of course, the remaining games will provide Dan and staff plenty to use for future player development.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RIFan wrote:Really, who cares? All the games moving forward are meaningless. the only game that would mean anything, is if they miraculously made it to the A10 championship game. stick a fork in this season...

Personally I like the threads for individual games regardless of the team's record. The specific game thread helps to keep the conversation focused only on the game. If you don't care to discuss the UMASS game then it makes it simple to avoid.
The individual game threads also make it easy to go back and reference a specific game which could come in handy when URI plays UMASS again at the end of the season and possibly again in the A10 tournament.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

We can handle no KI but no point guard in our already average offense leaves us with very little chance to win. Just look at what we look like without Garrett on the floor it's ugly. I know the rest of the games don't mean much to people but it would be good to finish as high as possible heading into Brooklyn.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Umassfan
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Umassfan »

Umass is absolutely horrible this year. We most likely will not win another game this season.. URI should roll us by 10+ at minimum. Just banking on an absurdly strong recruiting class to pull us out of this mess. Like URI I personally believe they hired the wrong head coach that certain fans praise when they are in over their heads. I don't see DK or Hurley ever having sustained success that the die hards hoped for when the hires initially happened. Building will have 4000 fans at the absolute maximum most likely won't even hit 3500. Only chance umass has is if we shoot 40% or better from 3.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I appreciate 208's unbridled optimism...... I am a bridled pessimist.....but there is room here for everyone within this spectrum.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RIFan wrote:I don't tell you how you should be a fan and conduct yourself.
Haha, except that's exactly what you did two posts above that one, telling people there is no point in previewing the games.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Once again, my opinion and personal feeling. I didn't say stop them, I said why bother; if you couldn't get the sullen vibe, that's what people who are fed up say.
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

If garrett out they do not beat anyone!! He is there best player and there is no other capable point guard on this roster. Iverson not playing still probably means they won't beat anyone because we know Martin will be in foul trouble and I am sorry Berry lovers this kid just is not good enough to do what this team needs. He is to slow to cover anyone on defense.. This team needs next year to come fast and turn the page on this nightmare.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

still no injury updates?
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Yes Berry is slow so play a zone on defense and let him get some touches on offense downlow. He actually hits his layups unlike Akele lately. No reason why this kid shouldn't get some minutes at this point. Why not try it after that awful display we watched on Saturday.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Looks like no HD again

MeTV Cox 810
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Umassfan wrote:Umass is absolutely horrible this year. We most likely will not win another game this season.. URI should roll us by 10+ at minimum. Just banking on an absurdly strong recruiting class to pull us out of this mess. Like URI I personally believe they hired the wrong head coach that certain fans praise when they are in over their heads. I don't see DK or Hurley ever having sustained success that the die hards hoped for when the hires initially happened. Building will have 4000 fans at the absolute maximum most likely won't even hit 3500. Only chance umass has is if we shoot 40% or better from 3.
Hi UMassFan, I think the doubts for Kellogg are legitimately entrenched in the UMass fanbase. Few URI fans truly believe Dan Hurley is the "wrong guy", since this season was likely to return the program to the NCAA tournament prior to our best player/scorer/playmaker being injured 10 mins into the season.

Sure, after a discouraging performance this weekend, emotions are flying high and message boards represent the opinions of only a small percentage of fans.

The question is for you, UMassFan, how did Kellogg get such a highly rated recruiting class? Was it just the new practice facility or that plus the promise of instant playing time, given the team is horrible and returning nobody noteworthy next season?
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Surfri72
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Surfri72 »

Here is your Umass preview, Hurley will yell at refs from the opening tip. URI will have twice as many fouls as Umass. URI will be up 8 with 5 minutes to play then go into a prevent offense eventually leading to Umass winning the game.
0 x
BornNBred33
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BornNBred33 »

Surfri72 wrote:Here is your Umass preview, Hurley will yell at refs from the opening tip. URI will have twice as many fouls as Umass. URI will be up 8 with 5 minutes to play then go into a prevent offense eventually leading to Umass winning the game.
Hahaha this gave me a chuckle...but just remember, we still have 10 games remaining. Its all about the process.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I don't see us being up by 8 anytime.

Not just because of fouls, who do we have left?

KI will be out, and JG will be limited I'm sure.

Every time the poor kid starts to find his shot, he gets hurt.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I love the phrase "prevent offense."
Did 4 get any field goals against SJU? I can't remember. Berry scored as soon as he got in.
Maybe we should start the big guy at guard. Who's going to take a charge against him?
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

ramfan85 wrote:Did 4 get any field goals against SJU?
4, Martin, Earl, & Akele were a combined 0-18.
Definitely the refs fault. :roll:
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I did notice a few refs defending our 3's.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Well, we're finally going to get to see Thompson start! Ugh, could things get any worse at this point?

0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

That's an incredible stat, 0-18.

Yup, EC would make all the difference!

Maybe if we had 5 EC's, it would.......

Hey, the blame needs to go where it should be.

On Dan, the refs, and the players. Don't want to leave anybody out.

The whole mess. The whole stinking mess.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Come on Spooky--haven't you been reading this board? It clearly is the coaches fault they went 0 for 18 in the game.
Ya think EC might have been a little bit better than Four who put 2 points on the board?
After Umass spanks us it will be Hurley's fault that we got beat without 3 starters.
In virtually all of our losses this year Four has been a no show. It was like playing four against 5 on offense. Let the record reflect that I am not picking on him since he was brought here to probably play a max of 15 minutes a game and he is probably averaging over 30 minutes.
0 x
Umassfan
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Umassfan »

To answer the question above.. Umass got their recruiting class purely by the new champions center. We got a tour of it before the last home game and it purely is top of the line. The male and female teams have completely separate practice courts within the same facility. It really is top of the line and similar to what the big boy programs have. That combined with the fact this is the worst team in 10 years and the freshmen will almost all have instant playing time from day 1.

I am hoping we get to see Holloway V your big freshman at some point. Are guy is absolutely huge and is working hard to lose weight so that he's capable of playing. Hoping to see a close game. However even with your injurys I don't think umass has much of a shot in this one
0 x
umassfan2
Zach "1 and Done" Marbury

Unread post by umassfan2 »

First post!

Few comments on UMass:
1. If you read our message board umasshoops.com you will notice how there is 22 pages on firing DK. He is not going any where, but if you want pure comedy feel free to take a gander.

2. UMass lives by the three and dies by the three. UMass shoots the three at about 40% clip in their wins and shots it about 20% in their loses. #5 'Bari Hinds has been a very good barometer for UMass' performance this year. He was great early in the season and of late his minutes have been slashed in favor of #23 CJ Anderson.

3. UMass ia HORRIBLE rebounding team. They rebound about 70% of their oppositions misses which is up for about 65% a few weeks back. Senior Tyler Bergantino insertion into the starting lineup has helped a bit on the boards. Freshman R. Halloway 6'10 330 has not learned how to play without fouling and DK has a VERY quick hook with him. The announcers will comment on his weight and his soft hands.

4. #3. No Chaz Williams is not walking through that door, its Texas A&M transfer Ant. Space. When you have nothing nice to say about a player I'll just say nothing at all.

5. X Factor: R-Sophomores Seth Berger and Zach Coleman can fill that role. Berger is the teams energy guy. Coleman's minutes will be dependent fully upon how his knees are holding up for that game.

6. Other tidbits: UMass' three winter revenue sports are on a 22 game losing streak and the fans are not showing up to Mullins. If you head to Amherst tomorrow, highly recommend a pregame burrito at Bueno Y Sano, a cold beer at McMurphy's and a post game slice at Antonio's.

Good luck next season!
Last edited by umassfan2 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Thx UMassFan2. Hopefully UMass is also a lot better next year. Can't have them bringing up the rear again.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

What I heard was that Iverson was first brought to South County Hospital and then transferred to RI Hospital. He had a CAT scan of brain and it showed bleeding which is worse condition than simple bruising of the brain. I believe he is out for a least two weeks.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

On the street that would be grounds for assault.

The A10 had better act.

Or maybe URI and KI should sue the assholes.

The refs for negligence, and the A10 for the same. That would get the public's attention.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

The prevent offense is often cited for causing URI to lose. They also can't stop anyone from scoring at the end of the game. Like deep shot, lay up, free throw, you name it. URI stops nothing at the end.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

SPG, that's been going on for many years now.

It happened with Baron, and it's continued on here with DH...nothing new

Different coaches and players. Same results.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Once again, in case anybody cares to look at the truth about the situation, URI is 325th (out of 351) in team possessions per game. They play slow the entire game, so this idea of a "prevent" offense or slowing things down at the end of games doesn't hold much truth. Closing out games has certainly been a problem at times this year, but slowing the offense down too much isn't the reason.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

For what it's worth, American Sports Network (ASN) is producing the game and it is being carried on NESN Plus (confirmed on NESN's website). For Cox subscribers in RI, I'm told it will be MeTV. I'm told it is also showing up on the Comcast's guide on NESN plus. I'm hoping it will be as well for RCN Boston.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Game is on the A10 Network as well
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING