Game 22: @ UMASS Tuesday Feb 2, 7:00pm TV:ASN

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Game 22: @ UMASS Tuesday Feb 2, 7:00pm TV:ASN

Unread post by TruePoint »

I would say of all the criticisms that could be levied against this group, lack of mental toughness could be the most laughable. They could have folded 3 months ago, but they fought every day of this season, with the exception of two. One of those was against a potential national champion. Whatever.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

I was at the game. They played hard but with very limited personell. They were tired. Terrell and Watson showed up. I was hoping for a better night from Thompson because that's what I thought it would take to win. I really think they ran out of gas in OT with the turnovers.

Yes UMASS is really terrible but we were missing two starters--one of them being our quarterback. We're onto Philly.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Gonebarongone wrote:
adam914 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:I was out drinking. What happened?

AGAIN??? (or STILL????)
ALWAYS...FOREVER!!!
I mean...that's cute and all but why are you afraid of honest analysis? Four got about as bad of a shot to take a one point lead. Then...with 3.5 seconds left (Tyus Edney managed to get all the way down the court in four seconds) Four gets 60 footer. How many close losses do you need to see? I get they are undermanned but this roster has talent and it's just not being utilized. 3.5 years ago. 3 years ago. 2 years ago, last year. This year. Ironically, it's Groundhog Day.
I'm not afraid of anything, thanks for your concern though.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Shinze88 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:What a waste of time.

This season needs to end.

No clue.

Good bye Dan. You weren't the answer.

Your players stink. JT and JG are the only legit players on this team. Hassan looks like he has quit.

Your coaching stinks. Your act is a joke.

It's another Baron. Just a matter of time before DH is gone. Good riddance.

Lose the rest of games. Finish yourself off.
You are a total joke, you bring nothing of any intelligence to the table and your mere presence makes this board a worse place.

There are three kinds of people in this world. Those that bring something to the table, those that just sit at the table, and those that take from the table. You're the last type.

This board would be a better place if you just want away or at the very least cut your posting by 75%.

You should follow the advice you have for Dan and go away.
+1000000 - by far the worst "fan" I've ever seen of any team on any message board. The same stupid drivel post after post, this guy is the reason why block feature was created.
++10000000000.......
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Shinze88 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:What a waste of time.

This season needs to end.

No clue.

Good bye Dan. You weren't the answer.

Your players stink. JT and JG are the only legit players on this team. Hassan looks like he has quit.

Your coaching stinks. Your act is a joke.

It's another Baron. Just a matter of time before DH is gone. Good riddance.

Lose the rest of games. Finish yourself off.
You are a total joke, you bring nothing of any intelligence to the table and your mere presence makes this board a worse place.

There are three kinds of people in this world. Those that bring something to the table, those that just sit at the table, and those that take from the table. You're the last type.

This board would be a better place if you just want away or at the very least cut your posting by 75%.

You should follow the advice you have for Dan and go away.
+1000000 - by far the worst "fan" I've ever seen of any team on any message board. The same stupid drivel post after post, this guy is the reason why block feature was created.
Without making any comment on the poster overall, this is probably the worst post in the history of this board, or any of its previous iterations. That is not an easy thing to accomplish. I'm glad I didn't see it earlier.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

rambone 78 wrote:And my comments have ZERO to do with tonight's game. I've just waited until I'm good and drunk, to share this.

You will see. You will ALL see.

This is one big FRAUD.

Pissed? I don't care. I will be proven right,

All you have to do, is wait.

Hurley's deal can be terminated at a moment's notice. The buyout is small, compared to Baron's.

They won't do it, for a while. But wait. Just wait.

Meanwhile, enjoy Bubble watch. We aren't in it. And we won't be next season either.
Please stop posting factually incorrect info. You are drunk. When you sober up maybe you can explain to us all how URI can fire Hurley without cause and not be responsible for the rest of his contract. Have you even read the contract? I can send you a copy.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Weird for the @RhodyMBB account to post this, but nice to see defense of a player.

In response to this from Abu Bakr

0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Went over the edge. I'm sorry for that.

Frustration got the best of me, along with quite a few drinks.

Just delete the post, please. It was stupid......
0 x
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

everyone's frustrated, it wasn't supposed to be like this (again) but this is the hand we were dealt. Ive been waiting for next year since 99 with the rest of you, another year of growth and experience won't kill us. Look on the bright side with the talent we have coming in for next season and and of course EC's return the future is still bright... I haven't seen many games this year due to work but it sounds to me like these kids are still competing and i can still be proud of that. what doesn't kill you makes you stronger right?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

TruePoint wrote:I would say of all the criticisms that could be levied against this group, lack of mental toughness could be the most laughable. They could have folded 3 months ago, but they fought every day of this season, with the exception of two. One of those was against a potential national champion. Whatever.
Disagree. I will give you that they do not give up. They for the most part play right up until the last buzzer. They are however not mentally tough nor is their coach. The best example of their lack of mental toughness is their inability to win on the road. Other indicators are their multitude of close losses due to their failure to close out games and their inability to overcome adversity. Mentally tough teams adapt and thrive in the face of adversity and rise to the occasion. These Rams do not.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Abu is correct with his assessment of Fours game vs UmASS. They are D1 college players and are aloud to be criticized. That being said, he nearly single handedly lost the game for us, short bench no rest whatever, 6 turnovers vs a umass team that lost 7 in a row and idk how many awful shots. I like the kid but he was bad. Not that anyone else was much better, but he stuck out like a sore thumb last night.
Last edited by Rhodymob05 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
GO RAMS
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

ATPTourFan wrote:Weird for the @RhodyMBB account to post this, but nice to see defense of a player.

In response to this from Abu Bakr

Uh oh someone in the Athletic Department getting a little sensitive. Abu is correct. The internal frustration is real when a school/team affiliated Twitter account feels the need to start responding to negative Twitter comments.
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

I saw that too and didn't understand it. Any later clarification?
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Bottom line : you grab a rebound off a missed FT and you win the game
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

4M is not a PG - he is a shooter (which he isn't focused to do successfully with this team. He has a history and we have seen glimpses of it at times this year.

The problem this year is the lack of another good inside player.. Hassan faults EC's absence as the reason for his sub-par play. while he tries to do things he can't do (eg, drive with the ball). he gets into early foul trouble and has to sit.

DH's self-admission that he moaned for over two weeks after EC went down shows a lack of leadership that this team hasn't gotten over.

This game was lost at the FT line. A lot of this is tired players and a loss of confidence. DH's barking at the ref feeds into this.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Bakr we can be sure is aware of his voice and his position within the URI basketball program.

I actually don't think it is uncommon for Bakr to point out bad things the team does.

As a former player and close to the program he must be frustrated.

People close to the program likely all want to just look to EC and say its the loss of EC that did the whole thing.

You don't lead in most of your games, subsequently lose most of them and then get to use the excuse that it is out of your hands.

Media/Coaches/Administrators shaming fans or trying to beat back criticism always blows my mind.

Its not unreasonable to say a player could have played better. Should people watch 2 hours of basketball quietly and then walk away without discussing it?
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:This isn't a popularity contest.

Some of this is out of frustration, but a lot of it is reality.

Some of you don't like to hear it, but that's your choice.

Some of us know what's going on, and some don't have a clue.

I'm just FED UP with the current situation, and also with some people's constant excuses.

And I don't think it's going to get much better down the road either.

Some of you obviously think I don't care. That couldn't be farther from the truth.

But keep the hate going. Keep making a fool of yourself. Fine with me.

I know, Billyboy. It kills me to be so down on something I've cared about for 50 years.

Maybe it's because I expected so much more from this coach. That's my fault.

Just like Dan, I need to cool it. It obviously bothers a lot of you here.......

Shinze, I don't blame you for being angry. This isn't life or death. I'm going to try to keep it to myself as best I can......
Except for trying to stir up depression and be first to predict future failure...not sure of the point of this. You say it "kills (you) to be so down on something I've cared about for 50 years"... it's kind of a buzz kill to everyone else reading it, really. The program was around before your 50 years started and it will be around when your (and my) however many years ends. Good grief...stop acting like it's personal water torture that you need to publicize...whaddya want? Obama to step in and reallocate players for you?

Despite the mess that is UMass right now, players get hurt and things happen..URI lost last night because they only had two guys on the floor good enough to start for the other team...enough darkside ranting...please....I think everyone gets it...
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Must be so tough they can't win close games.
This game was like a neutral court against a last place
team that lost SEVEN in a row.
Martin was a non factor again. Why?
Thompson 2-12.
Four had an EC like 6 turnovers.
Gave the game away in OT.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

nice to see the 'professional' MFers piling on McGlynn.

Give me a break! If there's one thing I can't stand, it's when players that are running the business of CBB without proper compensation, ie. not professionals, kids or young adults at best, get piled on by old 'pros'!! Bakr and Donaldson are as bad at their jobs as McGlynn is on his worst night. If I'm McGlynn I get on their Twitter and tell them to go fuck themselves. McGlynn is being asked to do more than ever at a higher level than ever, out of necessity. Can we please cut the players some slack here, they work hard, really hard, it generates a lot of revenue for "adults", lots and lots of adults to have jobs and careers, including Abu Bakr and Skim Dumbelson.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

rodfromcranston wrote:Thompson 2-12.
But people got what they wanted...CT started. Uggh.
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Running Ram wrote:nice to see the 'professional' MFers piling on McGlynn.

Give me a break! If there's one thing I can't stand, it's when players that are running the business of CBB without proper compensation, ie. not professionals, kids or young adults at best, get piled on by old 'pros'!! Bakr and Donaldson are as bad at their jobs as McGlynn is on his worst night. If I'm McGlynn I get on their Twitter and tell them to go fuck themselves. McGlynn is being asked to do more than ever at a higher level than ever, out of necessity. Can we please cut the players some slack here, they work hard, really hard, it generates a lot of revenue for "adults", lots and lots of adults to have jobs and careers, including Abu Bakr and Skim Dumbelson.

Sorry. I agree that McGlynn works hard and his role of PG last night or even starter this season were not the roles originally planned for him. I however do not think the criticism of him last night is unfair. Nothing that Bakr wrote was wrong, unfair, or personal. McGlynn did not play well. It should be no crime to state this. It pretty much is fact.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

BTW, we scored all of TWO points in OT!
Let that sink in.
TWO points in five minutes.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote:4M is not a PG - he is a shooter (which he isn't focused to do successfully with this team. He has a history and we have seen glimpses of it at times this year.

The problem this year is the lack of another good inside player.. Hassan faults EC's absence as the reason for his sub-par play. while he tries to do things he can't do (eg, drive with the ball). he gets into early foul trouble and has to sit.

DH's self-admission that he moaned for over two weeks after EC went down shows a lack of leadership that this team hasn't gotten over.

This game was lost at the FT line. A lot of this is tired players and a loss of confidence. DH's barking at the ref feeds into this.
DH was fine last night and I think the effect of his expression of regret over losing EC is overestimated - it's done...and had absolutely nothing to do with these last couple losses. From where we sere sitting, couldn't really tell why the T. After he got it, could hear him say 'no warning, no cursing, nothing'...TV replays might have shown different, but it looked like a 'we know this guy's rep and we owe him one' T. Not to say that taking a seat now and then could hurt either...but he was as calm last night as I've seen him, but the players seem to take their eyes off the game too many times to see what he wants them to do.

He did as good a job as possible with that group last night, but that roster has zero depth. Martin and JT are the only two that would have played significant minutes for UMass. Thompson and Akele...looked much better earlier in the year when they were only playing spot minutes. CT has great physical skills, can sky in traffic, but his shot looks like it's gotten worse, not better. Akele...hate to say...almost looks nervous/scared to be out there at times. And Earl... my gosh... I'd sacrifice half of his rebounds if he could just make a layup every now and then. It's like he just throws the ball in the general direction of the basket sometimes...
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Sure four had a tough night - I really feel for the kid, he came here to be a piece on a championship caliber team and is now asked to be something more due to injuries. I am not giving up on this team yet, I think they still might have a run in them. I am however giving up on the officiating in this league, it has been awful. We win that game last night easily if our guys are allowed to play. I saw multiple phantom calls where there was no actual contact and then inexplicable non-calls. Not being a total homer I see it goes both ways but it is really bad. The phantom T on DH last night was the last straw for me. Don't be upset with the guy who is pointing out that you suck at your job and call a T on him...try actually being better at your job.
0 x
DC Ram
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by DC Ram »

ramfan85 wrote:I wonder if 4 will play the point in the pros.
HAHAHA
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The officiating in the A10 has always been bad. I know they don't belong to the league, but why does this league assign such shitty refs to do their games?

Is there a tier system when it comes to refs? Do the P5 leagues get the better rated refs, and the lower leagues have to fight over the scraps?

However it's hard to imagine even lower leagues than ours, get even worse refs.

Or is it, well it's URI, so we'll give them the worse refs we can, the better ones don't want to do our games because of Dan?

Of course, there will be denials all around, if grilled on the subject. So it continues.....
Last edited by rambone 78 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

If Four is being asked to do too much, than stop asking. He's clearly not up to it. I'd rather see players who will be here next year get the PT. Its not giving up because Four isn't helping us win games anyway, Richmond was the last time he made a positive contribution to a win. He should be the last guard off the bench, if he comes in hot, fine leave him in. I'd even rather see the dreaded two guard lineup than Four playing 30+ minutes. Why was he at the point last night? I assume the thinking was leave Terrell off the ball to concentrate on scoring but Four took the most shots anyway and was terrible with the ball so that didn't work out.

So fine, let's stop criticizing Four for being given a role he can't handle and lets start criticizing Hurley for leaving him in that role.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I think some of the lower regional leagues do get some of the same refs, good ones and bad ones....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

When's the last time we've had even decent ones?
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

BFC wrote:I'd rather see players who will be here next year get the PT.
Who isn't getting enough minutes? Unless you want Shane Plunkett, I can't see who needs more. I think everyone is getting enough time. They couldn't take 4 out yesterday because no one on the bench could take his place. CT is getting plenty of playing time. Fouls have slowed down some of this.
0 x
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

BFC wrote:If Four is being asked to do too much, than stop asking. He's clearly not up to it. I'd rather see players who will be here next year get the PT. Its not giving up because Four isn't helping us win games anyway, Richmond was the last time he made a positive contribution to a win. He should be the last guard off the bench, if he comes in hot, fine leave him in. I'd even rather see the dreaded two guard lineup than Four playing 30+ minutes. Why was he at the point last night? I assume the thinking was leave Terrell off the ball to concentrate on scoring but Four took the most shots anyway and was terrible with the ball so that didn't work out.

So fine, let's stop criticizing Four for being given a role he can't handle and lets start criticizing Hurley for leaving him in that role.
Hate to say it, but JT was the only one as qualified to run the point last night...and if he had, they probably wouldn't have even got to OT...and people woulda b*tched about that. Need to realize resources are seriously depleted and as fun as it is for folks to call him out (or call for his head)...there's not really much more the coach can do.
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

I mean people are allowed to criticize, but what you have to realize is you are criticizing one of the best available options we have...and someone who has won numerous games for us this year. His role and why he came here is to shoot spot up threes and 80%+ from the line..something he has done very well. Maybe next summer when they are recruiting a bunch of extra point guards we wont question it. It's really a lot of little things that cost us the games..like grabbing a rebound or loose ball at a critical time...we have not been doing the little things you need to do to win a close game. As frustrated as we are I'm sure all the players and coaches are every bit as much and they deserve support. And can someone explain to me the EC "I'm done" line...I need to determine if I'm going to dive into this bottle of Jack Daniels or not this am.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Rhodyhooopz wrote:

I saw that too and didn't understand it. Any later clarification?
Chris was making fun of the announcer talking about "EC Martin".
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

spookydog wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:Thompson 2-12.
But people got what they wanted...CT started. Uggh.
Just to clarify Spooky,
Most here did not want Thompson starting in place of Four. My points 6 weeks ago was to start Thompson in place of Four. Nothing has changed my mind on that - in fact I have only reinforced. Not sure if others have changed their minds on this but I would stay with Thompson starting when Garrett and Iverson return.

I get the 2-12 was not good. No doubt. But he is a better shooter than that. He was 0-5 on 3PGs. 2-4 FTs.
But looking at all parts of his game last night in addition to shooting accuracy:
- It was his first career start. 38 Minutes was his most ever so maybe a little winded? He plays hard, especially on defense.
- 8 Rebounds. Only Watson with a career high 14 and Zach Coleman with 9 had more
- 5 Offensive rebounds were the game high for either team
- Thompson is a fighter on the offensive boards. Some of his missed shots were in heavy traffic fighting on the offensive boards.
- 2 Assists - only McGlynn had more with 4
- 1 Block - Team had 8
- 1 Steal - Team had 7
- 1 Turnover - Team had 15. Only Terrell had fewer TOs as he had zero. Everyone else had 2 or more.
- He is only a Freshman. Best of the 3 we have. I'd prefer minutes go to a guy like this, especially at this point in the season.

I saw nothing last night that would change my mind of Thompson playing in place of Four when Iverson and Garrett return. Four off the bench especially in late game for FT advantage.
Martin, Iverson, Terrell, Thompson, Garrett should start in A10 Tournament play - that is our best shot. McGlynn, Watson, Akele off the bench.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

If you asked the coaching staff before the season what would have to happen for McGlynn to play 30 minutes in any single game this year, they'd have said a catastrophe of epic proportions. Well, McGlynn is averaging 33 minutes per game (to give you an idea of the size of the catastrophe losing EC actually was).

Considering the circumstances, I think criticisms of his overall contributions this year are totally unfair. However, one area where I disagree with the coaches and think they could do a little better is that Thompson should be getting a larger share of those minutes. I get he didn't shoot well last night, but that is besides the point. He is probably a slightly better option for us this year, but more importantly his development is much more important to the program on the whole than anything McGlynn is going to give you over the next month.

ETA: I also am kind of tired of the Hassan criticism. The guy can't win with some of the fans. He has at times had trouble staying on the floor because of foul trouble, partially because of how much he is asked to do and partially because the way he goes about doing those things is so aggressive. Last night, playing at well under full strength, he is able to stay on the court for 44 minutes and contribute 5 blocks, 7 rebounds and 8 points. I'm sorry, but that is not a "bad" game.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:If you asked the coaching staff before the season what would have to happen for McGlynn to play 30 minutes in any single game this year, they'd have said a catastrophe of epic proportions. Well, McGlynn is averaging 33 minutes per game (to give you an idea of the size of the catastrophe losing EC actually was).

Considering the circumstances, I think criticisms of his overall contributions this year are totally unfair. However, one area where I disagree with the coaches and think they could do a little better is that Thompson should be getting a larger share of those minutes. I get he didn't shoot well last night, but that is besides the point. He is probably a slightly better option for us this year, but more importantly his development is much more important to the program on the whole than anything McGlynn is going to give you over the next month.
amen
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Four not only failed in the PG role last night, he's failed in the "shooter" role all year. He's shot the ball well in 5 or 6 games, we've played 22. I don't see how saying we should be moving in a new direction can by seen as too critical or unsupportive. He had to play significant minutes last night regardless, he'll still have to play alot of minutes the rest of the year, but since everyone agrees he's been asked to perform a role that's beyond his capabilities, shouldn't then that role diminish at some point?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

BFC wrote:Four not only failed in the PG role last night, he's failed in the "shooter" role all year. He's shot the ball well in 5 or 6 games, we've played 22. I don't see how saying we should be moving in a new direction can by seen as too critical or unsupportive. He had to play significant minutes last night regardless, he'll still have to play alot of minutes the rest of the year, but since everyone agrees he's been asked to perform a role that's beyond his capabilities, shouldn't then that role diminish at some point?
Yes. We are agreeing. When I said he gets too much criticism, that wasn't in reference to you or anyone else who has said his role should be reduced. I have been saying that for two months.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

On top of bad officiating and bad play last night, the announcers for the A10 are god awful. If Disano had played PG in college he would be announcing all the A10 games, he is clearly one of the most well versed on not only URI but the A10 as a whole. Most of the announcers we have seem like they show up look at a piece of paper summarizing the two teams and go to work, with little to no fact based analysis of either team and having done zero homework. I think the announcing teams for the A-10, more than the officials, make us a subpar league. Get some people that actually watch the A10 to call the games, besides Tim Welsh the whole lot across networks is just putrid.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

TP, 8 points against a poor defensive team in 44 minutes, IS a lousy game.
Take the rose colored glasses off and put the pom poms down.
His team needed scoring last night,and he got
ZERO points in OT.
Thompson had more rebounds, and Earl has twice as many.
A very lack luster season from a guy who I thought was
the best player on this team.
Is he hurt?
Someone told me he's still in the dumps about EC!
Come on. It's not like someone died.
All A-10? Not anymore.
I'm saying this about my favorite player, BTW,
who I want very much to succeed.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Hassan has clearly been the most disappointing player this year. EC opened a lot of stuff up for him, and probably made him look better than he is.

Scouting report now is to instantly double team him whenever he gets the ball, which is obviously working.

Teams couldn't double team him with EC on the court, and now this year is showing what a limited offensive game he has.

He really has no post moves, and if he dribbles more than 3/4 times, nothing good usually comes from it.

Lastly, his rebounding has been awful. Averaging less than 6 a game? Come on now.
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:
BFC wrote:Four not only failed in the PG role last night, he's failed in the "shooter" role all year. He's shot the ball well in 5 or 6 games, we've played 22. I don't see how saying we should be moving in a new direction can by seen as too critical or unsupportive. He had to play significant minutes last night regardless, he'll still have to play alot of minutes the rest of the year, but since everyone agrees he's been asked to perform a role that's beyond his capabilities, shouldn't then that role diminish at some point?
Yes. We are agreeing. When I said he gets too much criticism, that wasn't in reference to you or anyone else who has said his role should be reduced. I have been saying that for two months.
The team doesn't have enough bodies to diminish anyone's role right now. During the game last night, you could hear Hurls telling Rex, Shane, Rory to 'stay ready'.... it's almost kinda sad right now. Put CT at the point, he probably would have had 10 TO's last night...put JT there, he probably would have scored half of his 23.... no good options....
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

rodfromcranston wrote:Chris was making fun of the announcer talking
about EC Martin.
Gotcha. Yea I can't believe how often that happens in broadcasts. I'm such a URI fan I don't even want to tell you what I was assuming. I'll save the Jack for lunch.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rod - I don't think I have rose colored glasses. I'm not telling you that Hassan has had a great season or was great last night. I just don't think he has been bad. I don't think it is right to assess his play focusing on scoring, either. I get that this team could use points from him, but that isn't really what he is as a basketball player.

NYG - I agree that with only 6 or 7 bodies there is no choice but to play him, which again is not his fault. But when Jarvis and KI are back he and Thompson should swap roles, basically.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
The team doesn't have enough bodies to diminish anyone's role right now. During the game last night, you could hear Hurls telling Rex, Shane, Rory to 'stay ready'.... it's almost kinda sad right now. Put CT at the point, he probably would have had 10 TO's last night...put JT there, he probably would have scored half of his 23.... no good options....
His role should have been diminished before the injuries. And why would Terrell have scored less? Because he was benefiting from great passing? Everything he got, he got himself, there's no reason having the ball more would have hurt that. It certainly didn't hurt the amount of Four's attempts. Maybe Hurley was trying to save Terrell's energy or maybe Four is just better in practice with the ball, fine. But given the results, I don't think its an unreasonable criticism. Terrell handles the ball more when Garrett plays than he did last night.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:Rod - I don't think I have rose colored glasses. I'm not telling you that Hassan has had a great season or was great last night. I just don't think he has been bad. I don't think it is right to assess his play focusing on scoring, either. I get that this team could use points from him, but that isn't really what he is as a basketball player.

NYG - I agree that with only 6 or 7 bodies there is no choice but to play him, which again is not his fault. But when Jarvis and KI are back he and Thompson should swap roles, basically.

That is the point. Not much you can do now with KI and JG out. Point is, and has been, Thompson should be starting and getting more minutes. Four has been playing 35 plus minutes. But come A10 Tournament time Thompson should be in a starting role with Four playing a key role off the bench, providing a spark, there will be less pressure on him, and his FT shooting is very valuable late in game.
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Personally I don't think it matters if 4 or CT start, they both see plenty of minutes.
0 x
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

In theory I agree with the Thompson should be getting more of Four's minutes argument, but I feel like Thompson has had trouble with fouls lately as well which has limited him some and kept him from really getting anything going. He also seems to stand around way too much on offense sometimes. Who knows what's going on in practice to, that's where you really earn your game minutes. It would be nice to see him take some of those minutes here down the stretch of the season though.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Thompson does not really get Four's Minutes because Four plays most all the game with the exception with the two St Joe's games where Four has trouble with defense and St Joe's puts Bembry on Four. Last 7 Games results:
McGlynn
25 (1-5) St Joe
38 (4-13)
34 (2-7)
36 (3-7)
35 (2-7)
26 (0-7) St Joe
45 (3-16)
Thompson
27 (1-2) St Joe
32 (3-10)
17 (1-2)
12 (0-1)
17 (1-2)
23 (2-5) St Joe
38 (2-12)

McGlynn average 36 mpg. 15-62 shooting for 24%
Thompson average 24 mpg. 10-34 shooting for 29%

I'd like to see the Playing Time minutes reversed.
Simply play the first year guy more.
Start him when Iverson and Garrett return - that is our best rebounding and defensive team.
0 x