Big East - Basketball Only Schools Leaving

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Big East - Basketball Only Schools Leaving?

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Well, if that's the case and we'll have Butler and Xavier, et al, next year at least, that makes me fell much better.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I don't know how concrete all of that is though ... Recent reports say that the Big East is on the verge of an 18-team conference TV schedule for 13-14. However, I can't help but feel that there will be clauses in place if the conference were to fall apart. It isn't just the C7, Notre Dame, Louisville, and Rutgers all want out NOW. If they get their way, there is little incentive for the C7 to play along.

The C7 doesn't want to play in that conference, at all. They don't want basketball games with UCF, East Carolina, Tulane, etc. It is my understanding that they will keep negotiating their departure, and worst case will play in the 18-team league next year.

As for the name, the Big East football conference will not exist within 5 years. I don't think the name means as much to them as the $$$ would. It's just common sense at that point, that football conference will be a complete and utter joke, and any team with value will be trying to get out of it.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

66, that's why I think UConn and Cincy might join with the C7 for basketball, and look to join another conference for football. I've heard the TV people may want that.

Of course, if they can get out, and go somewhere for ALL sports, that would be the preference, I would think. But where can they go, and do that?
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

rambone 78 wrote:66, that's why I think UConn and Cincy might join with the C7 for basketball, and look to join another conference for football. I've heard the TV people may want that.

Of course, if they can get out, and go somewhere for ALL sports, that would be the preference, I would think. But where can they go, and do that?
It is my understanding that the C7 would take less money than partner up with UCONN and Cincy, unless as I said quite a few pages back there was a way to firm up a 10/12 year basketball-only commitment that under no circumstances or under extreme monetary penalty they could leave. C7 has no interest of dealing with the football chase and the chance that UCONN/Cincy stay for 1 or 2 years and then bolt and leave a mess and further chase of having to replace them. They would rather have that foundation in place now, and TV understands that side of the picture. If there is one person who hates instability more than a conference, it's TV.

Money-wise, I don't know if that really changes things that much. PC with UCONN/Cincy/Memphis/Temple was going to offer them 750K per season. Without them, $3 million. It was the crap on the bottom and the instability on top which crushed the value of that conference.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

do you hear yourself in that last line? and you think it makes any sense? so someone is going to pay 5X the amount because its more stable, even though the product sucks in comparison? the majority of the C7 is currently the crap at the bottom of the big east.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Beat me to it Bar.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Me too. PC, Depaul, StJohn's, and SH IS the crap at the bottom of the C7!

PC might improve enough to become mid pack in the new conference. Might!
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

They were offering $500 million with the A-10 schools in mind. That had nothing to do with UCONN or Cincy.

And call me crazy but I do believe it. I would rather be building a stable, reliable conference, than form a "super" conference with the football teams destined to be blown up in a 3 year time frame.

If the power schools drove the money, why would the C7 only been getting $750K on the open market with them? Are ECU/UCF/Houston that big of a difference between $3 million + a season with UCONN/Cincinnati/Memphis/Temple? Or does it have something to do from a stability standpoint and not wanting to heavily invest in a conference destined to fail? I think it's a little bit of both.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

You can call me crazy too, but I just don't think when all's said and done, that the C7 is going to get upwards of 4 million per school per year. Plus, are the added schools going to settle for half of what a bottom feeder like PC will be getting? Somehow I can't see the likes of Butler and X, 2 schools who make the Dance regularly, accept 2nd class status to schools like PC and Depaul. Ludicrous.

Yes, the networks want stability, but what about quality? Poor return on their investment, if you ask me.

As for the football BE, everybody agrees, that's one mess of a conference. A bunch of schools thrown together with no rhyme or reason. Actually, they are a bunch of schools with nowhere else to go, so they are stuck with each other. UConn and Cincy might want to leave that, who could blame them, but where oh where are they going to go?
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

If X and Butler want equal money, tell them to put up-front. That's where the separation is going to come from. The C7 having to pay their exit fees, the Big East name, etc... Will cost probably around $25+ million per school. Those schools (X and Butler) will pay what, 400K to get out of the A-10?

I agree that all schools deserve equal rights, but if the C7 are going to put up the dough to get the conference in place, I have no problem with the money break down, and it doesn't seem the other schools will either, since they will still bring in what, 6x the money?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

they were offering 500MM is an internet rumor that was never substantiated....then it became 300MM. No one knows the numbers unless they are in the negotiations, confident you are not present in those. but you also are refuting logic by thinking the C7 and 3-4 good A10 programs can command that number. it would be beyond surprising if PC gets 3mm a year to broadcast their basketball games.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

bigappleram wrote:they were offering 500MM is an internet rumor that was never substantiated....then it became 300MM. No one knows the numbers unless they are in the negotiations, confident you are not present in those. but you also are refuting logic by thinking the C7 and 3-4 good A10 programs can command that number. it would be beyond surprising if PC gets 3mm a year to broadcast their basketball games.
$500 million dollars is a confirmed and very real rumor that has been confirmed several times over. The only numbers that have changed are a result of the annual $$ per team per year. The first initial reports said that the C7 schools would be making $5 million annually, which dropped when it was reported Fox wants 12 teams. If you can find a denial or disputed report, please share.

Honestly, I think a big portion of that number is the $$ to get the new league off of its feet. I agree that $3 million is a huge number for PC and C7 schools, but they are also going to have to put up collectively probably close to $150 million just to get out of the Big East with name, if not more. To me, it looks like this ... Lets say C7 schools get $3 million per season * 12 is $36 million over 12 years. Now take out the fact that the C7 schools will probably have to pay 15-20 million. Low-end, that would mean the C7 schools basically net 21 million over 12 years (or $1.75 million annually) or high end 16 million over 12 years ($1.33 million). Doesn't that seem like a more accurate portrayal of the new conference?

In reality, the winners of this are probably the the A-10 teams entering the new conference, but it's hard to tell because there are no concrete "exit" numbers for the C7.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:confirmed and very real rumor that has been confirmed several times over.
:lol:
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

i am sure the C7 will get out of the steep exit fee, or at minimum they will negotiate the number way down. yes the network would bear the brunt of that expense, whatever it ends up being, and I am sure that is factored in the numbers. but i still think these numbers when they are actualized will not be what they were reported. your math certainly makes it more feasible, but in the end someone has to explain to their boss that they want to pay 6MM a year to broadcast PC, Seton Hall, Rutgers and Depaul games. still a gaudy number for a product that right now isnt worth much more than the numbers A10 teams are getting. Thats similar to the numbers you are getting now in the current contract, but they pay the bottom feeders that to get the creme de la creme at the top. Without that top heavy value it makes this number seem quite steep for what will be 1/3rd of this new league.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

BFC wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:confirmed and very real rumor that has been confirmed several times over.
Once again, many sources have confirmed the rumor --- where are your reports that the rumor is false besides your own personal hatred of PC? ESPN must be idiots for confirming the reports, as well as Yahoo, etc.

If you can prove it despite the message board opinions of some C7 hater or random blog posting, have at it.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

bigappleram wrote:i am sure the C7 will get out of the steep exit fee, or at minimum they will negotiate the number way down. yes the network would bear the brunt of that expense, whatever it ends up being, and I am sure that is factored in the numbers. but i still think these numbers when they are actualized will not be what they were reported. your math certainly makes it more feasible, but in the end someone has to explain to their boss that they want to pay 6MM a year to broadcast PC, Seton Hall, Rutgers and Depaul games. still a gaudy number for a product that right now isnt worth much more than the numbers A10 teams are getting. Thats similar to the numbers you are getting now in the current contract, but they pay the bottom feeders that to get the creme de la creme at the top. Without that top heavy value it makes this number seem quite steep for what will be 1/3rd of this new league.
I think it's honestly more the factor of being in the right place at the right time. Is the money steep? Yes. Does new Fox need programming? Yes. Do they have competition for it from NBC and CBS? Yes. Are there any other conferences renewing contracts they could easily compete for and feel confident about? No.

Paying the C7 is there only real hope at guaranteeing 10+ years of good college basketball. Not great, but not average. Above average college basketball. Any other conference besides the hack BE football conference is under contract for basically 5+ more years.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
BFC wrote:
Once again, many sources have confirmed the rumor --- where are your reports that the rumor is false besides your own personal hatred of PC? ESPN must be idiots for confirming the reports, as well as Yahoo, etc.

If you can prove it despite the message board opinions of some C7 hater or random blog posting, have at it.
I suggest you look up the definition of the word rumor. Webster must have hated PC too.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Perhaps I should have put "rumor" in quotes --- I mean what else do you want to call it? It was a "rumor", and then many "sources" confirmed it... What does that make it then? Sorry master!
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:Perhaps I should have put "rumor" in quotes --- I mean what else do you want to call it? It was a "rumor", and then many "sources" confirmed it... What does that make it then? Sorry master!
Yeah, I really tore into you. The idea that you can confirm a rumor making it a very real rumor struck me as funny only because it is.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

double secret probation
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The only "rumor" going around right now, is that all these numbers being floated around are just that, floated around.

There's a long way to go before everything is settled. The numbers that 66 is talking about, could change and change substantailly, depending on the number of teams, exit fees settled, etc. etc.

About the only thing we can agree on right now, is that the teams that end up in the new BB league, will be making more than the members of the A10. How much more, who knows.

I'm just clinging to the hope that, when the dust settles, the hit the A10 takes in terms of lost teams isn't as bad as it could be. If somehow UConn and Cincy, and maybe Creighton, join with the C7, then the A10 will end up OK.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

rambone 78 wrote:
There's a long way to go before everything is settled. The numbers that 66 is talking about, could change and change substantailly, depending on the number of teams, exit fees settled, etc. etc.
That we can definitely agree about. I think the C7+5 will be making between $1.5 and $2 million per season not including what comes out for fees (so maybe $2.5/$3 million total). If the fees are less, the overall money will be less. If the fees end up more, they get more to help cover the fees. The number could bounce around, but the $500 million is not a fictitious number, regardless what wording we want to give it. The number will bounce around that number.

Like you said, the money will be more, 4/5x more however we choose to slice and dice it.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

how much do you make in your current deal? I thought it was in the neighborhood of 1.3-1.5? Your math above paints a scenario where you end up flat, at 1.5. The net number is all that matters, if you are incurring a penalty within the payout then the gross number is irrelevant, because that money cannot impact your basketball operations budget. So where are you getting the 4x or 5x reference above? At 1.5 it is 4x approx what our A10 teams get, is that what you are referring to?
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

bigappleram wrote:how much do you make in your current deal? I thought it was in the neighborhood of 1.3-1.5? Your math above paints a scenario where you end up flat, at 1.5. The net number is all that matters, if you are incurring a penalty within the payout then the gross number is irrelevant, because that money cannot impact your basketball operations budget. So where are you getting the 4x or 5x reference above? At 1.5 it is 4x approx what our A10 teams get, is that what you are referring to?
The current figure I believe is $1.5 million. I believe net, the basketball schools will be somewhere between $1.5 and $2 million, with the chance of getting up to $2.5 when the new contract is set up, placing them in the $3-$4 million gross range.

So yeah, my opinion is assuming that the C7+5 schools are netting between 1.5-2.0, so I guess it's something like 3.66x-5x. I would think fair market, that would be just about right.

The x factor is, where does the school get the money from? If donations cover most of the exit fees (and not just athletic donations but general school endowments), those schools might just sink that whole gross number right into the athletic budget with little repayment to other general funds. School has sunk so much into athletics recently that it would not surprise me at all. Maybe it doesn't really matter though.

That information though is all just speculation I have no idea about. Rumor had it that Under Armour was paying a large portion of Maryland's exit fee from the ACC.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

bar, looks like, after all is said and done, they won't get much more than they are making now.

The only advantage, is that they are a part of a new basketball centric league, and may get more TV coverage than before.

Of course, for the new schools [A10 and others] that may join, it's a substantial increase TV money wise.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

exactly 78, what i believe is a logical result. they will get close to the same they get now, create a new league, and still have a compelling 3-4x jump to lure our biggest fish. the baloney about the 5MM/yr someone is going to pay to PC to televise basketball games is asinine.

fyi the reason under armour bought out maryland is because kevin plank is a UMD alum and HUGE supporter and the founder of Under Armour. He is basically UMD's version of what Phil Knight is to Oregon. He built the company off his affiliation with UMD athletics and is a multi multi millionaire because of it. I wasn't aware PC had such an affiliation.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

rjsuperfly, are you dealing too much in rumors and weak connections. For example, what is your point about the Maryland and Under Armour? Kevin Planck, the founder and CEO of Under Armour is a Maryland grad who is very supportive of their move to the Big Ten so it comes as no surprise that he may make a financial contribution to the school. So does Boone Pickens for OK State. Are you implying that PC has such a booster or that other C7 schools have such boosters?

P. S. BTW, there was some meaning to the fact that PC was the last school to settle the tax payment with the City of Providence. There are still very strained relations between both parties as I understand.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Obadiah wrote:rjsuperfly, are you dealing too much in rumors and weak connections.
Hasn't he already cleared this up? They're not rumors, they're very real rumors.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Who negotiates on behalf of the C7+?

How does a network know what to offer these 7 alone.....or with which partners from the A-10 or other conferences.....do you offer 500 million a year if certain schools are in and 300 million if they are not....

.....I don't doubt if the A-10 members can double their net from television they will go.....we jump from 70K per year to about 350K per year with the new A-10 agreement.....I cannot understand why the Commissioner doesn't go back to our TV partners and say that the difference between the C7 and the current A-10 is negligible.....why is there much more money being rumored for the C7+?.....I can see 500K a year....I cannot see 3Million a year per.......interest in college Basketball is nowhere near interest in BCS college football.....

......I could be all wet, I know......but as a business decision for the networks I just don't see it.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

TV contracts get re-negotiated all the time, especially if there is a just cause, like a potential realignment.

The X factor for the A10 in this whole deal is the rights holder to our current TV contract. Clearly they do not want to see the 3-4 best programs jump ship to a competing network. The question is how much is that worth.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

So maybe those partners should jack up their package to compete and keep the marquee programs.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

That's true. They aren't going to give that much money to the remaining members, if our top 3 or 4 teams bolt for the new BE.

For the A10 to try and keep teams from leaving, they will have to make some serious changes, such as dropping the weakest and adding stronger teams, to hopefully increase the $ from TV.

Or, failing that, they [the A10] will STILL have to make changes to at least keep what they have with the new deal, if that's even possible.

One thing's for sure, there will be changes. If the A10 does nothing, they're screwed. I'm sure they know that by now. I doubt that will happen though.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Ramulous, I doubt our TV partners are going to sweeten the deal to keep our top teams, unless other changes are made. The bottom teams will have to go, somehow. Might require a C7 type breakup, and reform as a new conference.

It's got to be made more attractive for our marquee programs to stay. As it stands now, not going to happen. The A10 is simply too weak at the bottom to compete with the new league.

Thank goodness for the timing of this, for URI. For if this was all happening already, we'd be one of the weak sisters left out. If Baron was still here, it wouldn't matter. We'd be toast.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I didn't mean to insinuate that PC had an Under Armour or Nike in their back pocket, just that there are creative ways for the school to pay for the exit fees so that the athletic department (while likely reimbursed for the exit expense) doesn't have to stretch their pocket very much, and therefore will get a good chunk of whatever $$ comes down for TV as an assistance to the exit costs.

And Ramulous, the best answer that one can provide is that Fox NEEDS programming. They likely will have to stretch their wallet to accommodate costs for a new league, but they need to provide that in order for the C7 to not end up with ESPN or any competitor. Why don't other leagues get that huge basketball $$? Because they all are under previously negotiated contracts and have no wiggle room.

You'd have to ask the A-10 schools why they accepted 400K .. Was it a move of excitement that they had just crushed their previous deal, and that they got lowballed as a result? I'll be honest, I feel a lot of people are afraid to get away from the evil empire known as ESPN and therefore submit to their tyranny.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Maybe the city or state could pay the exit fee for them.
0 x
wakefield
Steve Chubin

Unread post by wakefield »

It would make sense for Fox to have a basketball contract with the old Big East to have rights to a Big East vs BE7.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Holly speculation Batman!

(After reading a lot of these posts.)

I don't know how things are going to unfold. I don't have the slightest clue...but if "I" was a school that had a great basketball team, I would want to stay in a conference like the A10. Why?...because say I'm Butler or Xavier. They're both good basketball programs.
We're talking about a new conference with Georgetown(14-4), Marquette(15-4), Villanova(13-7), Seton Hall(13-7), DePaul (10-9), PC (10-10), and St. Johns(13-7). It's a log jam outside of Georgetown and Marquette. It would be even worse if Butler, VCU or Xavier joined them. Alumni, fans, and TV networks like strong winning programs. No team wants more games in the loss column. If a team wants a tougher schedule, they can always put the games in the out of conference portion of the schedule. One would think that the powerhouse days for some of the C7 teams will be behind them. In college basketball these days there appears to less of a separation between the elite ranked teams and the middle of the pack teams. If you disagree, just follow the Top 10 ranked teams. There's no clear front runner (and it's been like that for the last few years). There's a new #1 every other day lately. There are smaller programs that are getting great coaches who are stealing recruits from the big guys (Gonzaga?...who knew them prior to 6 or 7 years ago....Butler?....VCU?...George Mason?...Wichita State?...San Diego State?...Louisiana Tech?...all of whom are either in the Top 25 or getting votes for it...or have been making more frequent appearances in the Tournament because of good coaching and recruiting). Who's next PC? Rhody? La Salle? Charlotte?
Not all recruits want to go to a Duke or Kentucky, only to sit on the bench while another five players get the playing time. The A10 is slowly becoming stronger. Rhody just upgraded in coaching with Dan Hurley who already has a recruit for next year in ESPN's top 100, which is one less for a Duke or Georgetown. La Salle is playing well. Xavier is a good program. Now they've added Butler and VCU. URI will be better next year and hopefully for years to come. If Butler, Xavier and VCU stay in the A10, I don't see why the A10 couldn't eventually have a big TV contract of their own. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

wakefield wrote:It would make sense for Fox to have a basketball contract with the old Big East to have rights to a Big East vs BE7.
One would think so .... Based on initial offers though, I'd be surprised if that group didn't stay with ESPN.

I think a lot of people are scared off by a conference with that much instability. Very good chance that after a few seasons it becomes the past 8 years of Conference USA.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

The Dude wrote:Holly speculation Batman!

(After reading a lot of these posts.)

I don't know how things are going to unfold. I don't have the slightest clue...but if "I" was a school that had a great basketball team, I would want to stay in a conference like the A10. Why?...because say I'm Butler or Xavier. They're both good basketball programs.
We're talking about a new conference with Georgetown(14-4), Marquette(15-4), Villanova(13-7), Seton Hall(13-7), DePaul (10-9), PC (10-10), and St. Johns(13-7). It's a log jam outside of Georgetown and Marquette. It would be even worse if Butler, VCU or Xavier joined them. Alumni, fans, and TV networks like strong winning programs. No team wants more games in the loss column. If a team wants a tougher schedule, they can always put the games in the out of conference portion of the schedule. One would think that the powerhouse days for some of the C7 teams will be behind them. In college basketball these days there appears to less of a separation between the elite ranked teams and the middle of the pack teams. If you disagree, just follow the Top 10 ranked teams. There's no clear front runner (and it's been like that for the last few years). There's a new #1 every other day lately. There are smaller programs that are getting great coaches who are stealing recruits from the big guys (Gonzaga?...who knew them prior to 6 or 7 years ago....Butler?....VCU?...George Mason?...Wichita State?...San Diego State?...Louisiana Tech?...all of whom are either in the Top 25 or getting votes for it...or have been making more frequent appearances in the Tournament because of good coaching and recruiting). Who's next PC? Rhody? La Salle? Charlotte?
Not all recruits want to go to a Duke or Kentucky, only to sit on the bench while another five players get the playing time. The A10 is slowly becoming stronger. Rhody just upgraded in coaching with Dan Hurley who already has a recruit for next year in ESPN's top 100, which is one less for a Duke or Georgetown. La Salle is playing well. Xavier is a good program. Now they've added Butler and VCU. URI will be better next year and hopefully for years to come. If Butler, Xavier and VCU stay in the A10, I don't see why the A10 couldn't eventually have a big TV contract of their own. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.
I actually like your post a lot, but if the contents of your post (which I do agree with) actually meant something, there would be no such thing as realignment. Teams will move up from a easy road to a torture chamber just to get a 15 or 18 extra million over a 12 year period. It's hard to disagree with that, although just being good has a strong effect. I remember seeing a CBS special sometime after George Mason made the F4 about how applications had increased by 2 or 3x as a result of the basketball team, as many viewed Mason as a Cinderella. No matter how you slice and dice it, there are rarely Cinderella's in major conference hoops, at least not in the same sense as VCU or Butler was, or Mason, or even Gonzaga for many years.

It's all about the $$, and it all sucks.
0 x
BH06
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by BH06 »

I don't know if anyone posted this already, but in case you need a good laugh:

0 x
"Success is how you bounce on the bottom." - Gen George S. Patton
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yes, that's awesome!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I always knew there was some real evil behind the Big East!
Now we know.
That was hilarious.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ncram
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by ncram »

BH06 wrote:I don't know if anyone posted this already, but in case you need a good laugh
Terrific parody from the 2004 German movie “Downfall”. As in the movie, this parody explores the final days of a once-powerful and loathsome empire!
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I get the feeling there is going to be a huge F'in lawsuit over this -- and by that I mean between Pitt/Cuse/Louisville/Rutgers/ND/WVU -- to try to get their hands on some of the money they view as theirs by still being part of the conference.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

What a mess. Glad it's messy enough to preserve the A10 with Xavier/Butler/SLU, etc for at least another year.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

The C7 didn't hire that high powered law firm to negotiate their secret prospective TV contract with some desperate networks lusting for content.....they were hired to extricate the Big East name from the football schools and as much money of past Big East earnings as they could....neither side is giving in on that valued Big East brand name.....it may have been different if the whole league fell apart with UConn and Cincinnati leaving but they have no where to go...
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

I talked to someone who is a Butler alum and follows the program. He initially said the Butler people were told the C-7 would get the name Big East. Now he is wavering. He is steadfast, however, in saying Butler to the new league is a done deal. But things have been so fluid, who knows?
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Another timeout manning ??!!?
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... -everybody

It looks like ND expects the C7 to still be in the BE next season
"I feel strongly that the Catholic schools are going to be there with us. That's one of the reasons we decided to sit tight," Brey said. "It looked like the Catholic schools were not going to be able to formulate this league that they're going to put together by next season. Now I think anything could happen. Could they put it together in the next six weeks? I mean nothing would shock me.

"But I think we feel that they're going to be in there, we're going to be in there, so the last hurrah is going to be next year, not this year."

The Catholic 7 still must form its new league and recruit other schools to join the league. Swarbrick said he thinks it's unlikely the Catholic 7 could make that work for 2013-14, but if they do leave before next season, Notre Dame could reconsider its decision.
This gives us one season to make a name for ourselves...
0 x