A-10 Officials are killing Rhody

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

A-10 Officials are killing Rhody

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhode Island is getting royally hosed by the refs in A-10 games. URI has just 4 more ft attempts at home than opponents in league games at the Ryan Center. The officials however have not called the URI games at other A-10 venues in a similar equitable manner. The zebras have sent the home teams to the line 43 more times (more than 2x Rhody) than URI in road A-10 games for the Rams.

URI A-10 HOME GAMES
LASALLE 11-15 URI 18-21
RIC 10-18 URI 13-18
SLU 16-23 URI 17-21
OPP 37-56 URI 48-60

URI A-10 ROAD GAMES
GW 25-30 URI 6-11
SBU 26-31 URI 10-15
SJU 15-23 URI 12-15
OPP 66-84 URI 28-41

COMBINED HOME AND AWAY (3 Home and 3 Away)
OPP 103-140 URI 76-101

Keep in mind that URI was up big in all their home games and the ft attempts were nearly equal. One would have expected to see Rhody with far more attempts given the opponent would have likely fouled toward the end of the game being down. All the road games were close down to the last minute yet the ft attempts for the other team was more than double that for URI.
Last edited by RF1 8 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Re: A-10 Officials are killing Rhody

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Hit a FT rhody

Brick city
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

That is a lot but we do play no zone (I know our zone sucks) and play very intense man to man defense. That makes our chances higher to get called for fouls. Something has to change to keep our key guys in there. I also feel like refs can't stand Hurley going nuts all the time (I think he has gotten better this year). Then again who gives a shit if we get fouls called for us we miss all our free throws.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Just asking....is it the result of the way our defense is taught and the way we defend on and off the ball...?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The podunk A-10 really likes to screw URI whether it is the officiating or something else. Another poke in the eye is that reports from Richmond are that the games at the Barclays next season vs the ACC (in exchange for moving the tourney) will have Richmond and VCU as the A-10 reps. It was GW and Fordham this past season. Most all A10 teams have played a non league game in NYC the past few seasons. Rhody has not been one of them.

The loss of an ESPN game is another indicator of how this league operates. We were originally supposed to be on ESPN during prime-time. Instead the game got rescheduled multiple times from 7pm to 5pm to 3pm. With the forecast as it was,the league and GW still decided to reschedule the GW women's game with a more local opponent (GMU which would not have as bad a trip back home) earlier in the day instead of giving some consideration for the team from the furthest distance. With the women playing, Rhody was then relegated to a secondary locker room the size of a closet. All very bush league.

URI is really not getting a whole lot from its membership in the A-10 in recent years. It has become a very Mid-Atlantic (Philly-DC-Richmond) based league which favors certain teams and Rhody is not one of them. The league office could care less about the New England teams. We know the A-10 Tournament will never come here. I guess it might not really matter as there may not be any league teams in this region in a few years the way things are going.
Last edited by RF1 8 years ago, edited 7 times in total.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

steveystuds06 wrote:That is a lot but we do play no zone (I know our zone sucks) and play very intense man to man defense. That makes our chances higher to get called for fouls. Something has to change to keep our key guys in there. I also feel like refs can't stand Hurley going nuts all the time (I think he has gotten better this year). Then again who gives a shit if we get fouls called for us we miss all our free throws.
yep, 1 and 1 is the enemy.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Your whining is pathetic. Give it a rest. If you're going to throw out numbers, put this insome context. Do some research and show me the stats of the rest of the league vs. home/away.

For the record, for all of eternity teams plays with more aggression and more confidence at home...so that's part of the reason why teams shoot more FT's at home. They're attacking more.

So you think the A-10 office should issue an edict to the officials (who work many leagues, not just the A-10) that they should intentionally make calls favoring URI because some whiny fans think the Rams are getting the shaft? Got it.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

As I pretty much suspected, URI is near the very bottom of the A-10 in free throw attempts in league games. Making it seem even worse is the fact that Rhody's three road opponents are #1, #2, and #4 in attempts made.

TEAM | GAMES | FT - FTA | FTA/GM
SBU | 6 | 128 - 162 | 27.0
GW | 6 | 116 - 159 | 26.5
DUQ | 7 | 131 - 178 | 25.4
SJU | 5 | 83 - 124 | 24.8
SLU | 6 | 106 - 138 | 23.0
VCU | 6 | 95 - 135 | 22.5
DAYTON | 6 | 94 - 127 | 21.2
RICH | 5 | 67 - 103 | 20.6
UMASS | 5 | 72 - 103 | 20.6
GMU | 7 | 98 - 140 | 20.0
DAVIDSON | 6 | 90 - 108 | 18.0
URI | 6 | 76 - 101 | 16.8
LASALLE | 5 | 57 - 82 | 16.4 (has only played 2 home games)
FORDHAM | 6 | 64 - 87 | 14.5
0 x
mlaprey
Abdul Fox

Unread post by mlaprey »

Hi everyone - have some time on the train ride north and saw a few posts here, thought maybe I could jump in and provide a little insight on the Barclays games.

With regard to the A-10/ACC doubleheaders, we were approached about playing this year but we had already contracted our H/H series with ODU. And next year, due to the final exam schedule, we are unable to play. The conference has done a really good job with trying to position its teams with good non-conference and national TV opportunities. If we are able to play when the dates line up in 2017, trust me, we will be VERY interested.

Barclays also does a really good job with setting up college basketball games - neutral sites, MTE's, etc. Any chance we have to play there - or the soon to be renovated Nassau Coliseum (run by the Brooklyn S&E Company) - we will absolutely jump at it.

Ok, back to staring out the window somewhere in Maryland. If anyone has any questions, fire away. Some I'll be able to answer, some I won't, some I'll ignore, and perhaps we'll all find some sleep.

ML
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

ML, thanks for clearing that up for us. Saw you battling for our possession on the tie up, what happened there? simple mix-up? The play itself looked like a blocked shot to me, not a quality tie-up, which should have resulted in a basket for us, instead the call is a jumpball that touched the rim? I didn't see it touch any rim, was that a trade off? no basket but we'll grant you a new 30 because we're not quite sure what happened there? or did I miss something?
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

mlaprey wrote:Hi everyone - have some time on the train ride north and saw a few posts here, thought maybe I could jump in and provide a little insight on the Barclays games.

With regard to the A-10/ACC doubleheaders, we were approached about playing this year but we had already contracted our H/H series with ODU. And next year, due to the final exam schedule, we are unable to play. The conference has done a really good job with trying to position its teams with good non-conference and national TV opportunities. If we are able to play when the dates line up in 2017, trust me, we will be VERY interested.

Barclays also does a really good job with setting up college basketball games - neutral sites, MTE's, etc. Any chance we have to play there - or the soon to be renovated Nassau Coliseum (run by the Brooklyn S&E Company) - we will absolutely jump at it.

Ok, back to staring out the window somewhere in Maryland. If anyone has any questions, fire away. Some I'll be able to answer, some I won't, some I'll ignore, and perhaps we'll all find some sleep.

ML
Thanks for passing on this info, very helpful. I hope they got you down for an assist in the scorebook for that help with the jump ball possession.
0 x
mlaprey
Abdul Fox

Unread post by mlaprey »

No big deal, there was a little miscommunication between the game officials and the official book after the 2nd jump ball. Happens every once in a while. It's why there are multiple scorebooks. Easy fix.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

This is just me, but not sure that I want my coach suggesting that the officials calling of road games "be looked at....." And making comments about "deserving better....." This in the Pamphlet today.....again just opine....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote:This is just me, but not sure that I want my coach suggesting that the officials calling of road games "be looked at....." And making comments about "deserving better....." This in the Pamphlet today.....again just opine....
Probably not, but would like to see the full context/demeanor (and I get that it could sound even worse...) He's for sure a vocal guy about officiating, but I still think he's curbing that far better (at least during the games) than last year. And maybe at this point, even if it just 'plants a seed', maybe it moves the needle. Not saying the refs are 'after URI', but not sure there's much that could be said that could make the situation 'worse'?

LOL...they may be few and far between, and I'm not in that camp...but wouldn't be surprised if there are some that will say "it's about time he finally said something."
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

section(105) wrote:This is just me, but not sure that I want my coach suggesting that the officials calling of road games "be looked at....." And making comments about "deserving better....." This in the Pamphlet today.....again just opine....
Perhaps not a coach with Dan Hurley's reputation. AD Thorr Bjorn however might be the right person to discretely ask the league office about the free throw disparity in road games and how games at the Ryan Center don't seem to follow that pattern. Blatant homerism in officiating is the hallmark of a rinky dink league and should not be tolerated by a conference that wants to be taken seriously.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:
Perhaps not a coach with Dan Hurley's reputation. AD Thorr Bjorn however might be the right person to discretely ask the league office about the free throw disparity in road games and how games at the Ryan Center don't seem to follow that pattern. Blatant homerism in officiating is the hallmark of a rinky dink league and should not be tolerated by a conference that wants to be taken seriously.
Agree with that/better option.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

A10 officials are horrible. They have been, and continue to be.

They are uniformly bad, almost to a man.

Every coach in the league complains about them.

You are correct, in that if the A10 wants to be taken seriously, something has to change.

Bernadette should be looking into ways to improve the officiating.

The coaches file a report about the officials after every game I think.

Dan's must be interesting, to say the least.

URI's style of play does not lend itself to less fouling, especially with the new rules.

That, and his rep with the refs, seems to cause a bigger problem in road games, than other teams face.

Even at home, we don't get much of an advantage, if any. Unless we change our style, or Dan tones it down even more, it's not likely to change.

I doubt the league is going to help much with the problem. What can Thorr do, realistically?
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Just posted this in the game thread, better here than there...

Every so often I'll come on here and complain about the officiating, none as much as when we play St.Joes in Philly, but I'll almost never blame a loss on the officials and here's why...

with about 4 minutes left in close games, away teams stop getting any calls in their favor that aren't complete muggings. Once again it's not something I like or think is okay, but it is what it is! Overcome it! it is not in the control of the player or the coach. It's one of the advantages of playing at home (for most teams).

This team and its fans spends far too much time focused on the refs, myself included, not that it isn't at all relevant, but it's out of anyone's control.

I swear I saw this, someone else let me know if they also saw this so I can know I'm not going insane...

Sometime in the last few minutes of the game, Garrett was stripped of the ball and he was fouled, it was not called. This happened on the bench side of the floor between the arc and half-court, so basically right in front of the URI bench, immediately Garrett's body language looked as if he expected the coach to bargain for a foul, the play went forward and he hesitated just so slightly looking towards our bench. GW converted, not saying they wouldn't have if Garrett didn't hesitate, I am saying, though, any attention payed to the refs is attention diverted from the play.

Bargaining for calls needs to be handled in a much more delicate way than what we have going on, its in the heads of the players, they feel the way the coach feels about these things and DH clearly has an issue with the officiating. To be clear I think we do often get screwed, but we must overcome! That won't happen by reflecting on the past. Also, I don't think it should be one of our most pressing concerns, to be sure there are a number of other facets of winning that could be addressed before the team concerns itself with something OUT OF ITS CONTROL.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

RR......yes......well stated.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

thank you 105, did you see the play I referred to? did that happen or am I imagining things based on prior beliefs?
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Not sure I paid that close attention to any JG reaction, that said, my experience tells me that players that buy into the refs are against us stuff, can at times hesitate looking for a call that is not coming, rather than hustling back to get into the flow and recover......or worse yet, look to the bench, while the ball is live, looking for coach/bench support for the bad or non call....hate that at thr D1 level....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The players may be taking their cue from Coach Hurley as far as the refs are concerned. Dan needs to tone down his displeasure with the refs during games a bit. He should be more judicious in his complaining and not do it so often. I fear it may have a bad influence on both the players AND refs.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

RF1 wrote:The players may be taking their cue from Coach Hurley as far as the refs are concerned. Dan needs to tone down his displeasure with the refs during games a bit. He should be more judicious in his complaining and not do it so often. I fear it may have a bad influence on both the players AND refs.

Couldn't agree more. It absolutely impacts both the players and refs. Coach needs to take a more mature approach with the refs.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

This blame the refs stuff is tiresome. How about hitting 75 percent of your free throws? How about a coach with the on court maturity of a grown man?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Ramblinrose wrote:This blame the refs stuff is tiresome. How about hitting 75 percent of your free throws? How about a coach with the on court maturity of a grown man?

Hitting 75% at the line still would have been a loss yesterday. The problem was the amount of times the other team went (30 vs 11 for URI).
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The other thing, is that our opponents have the hang of this hitting their FT's thing.

If they shoot 20-30, we win [on the surface].

Instead, they go 25-30. Teams never seem to miss against us.

Especially late in games. Even our opponents' bigs make them.

Ours? Sure.
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

We have a coach who unfortunately puts refs on blast even when it's a borderline call. It's just human nature that they are not going to go out of their way to give us a call. He needs to learn to control himself better to get the calls when it counts. I expect this to happen when he turns 65. That being said too many people here blame the refs. I haven't seen a game yet this year where they cost us the game…maybe pc in that last minute.
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

And when you make way under half of your first shot attempts in a one and one you are not going to be shooting anywhere near as many free throws as the rest of the league. Sorry just the facts.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI's free throw shooting percentage in the OOC was a problem. It however has not been bad in league games as it is the 4th best in conference at .752. The ft problem in conference is our opponent gets to the line far more than we do. On the road, it is particularly one sided as our opponent is getting more than twice as many FT attempts (84 vs 41 for URI). We have just four more FT attempts than the opposition in our league home games.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well, if that is a problem, which it sure is, then Dan has to start making some adjustments.

Either in his on court demeanor, or changes to the defense, or both.

He might not want to do the latter, but what other choice does he have?

Is it going to change if he doesn't?

Does anybody think the A10 will tell the refs to cut Dan and Rhody a break? Hah.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78 wrote: Does anybody think the A10 will tell the refs to cut Dan and Rhody a break? Hah.
No. The league won't do Dan any favors. It however will not like repeated public references to one sided officiating - be it the media, coach, administrators, or fans making the assertion. A pattern of it makes it appear as if something nefarious is happening and the league is not taking action which makes for bad PR.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think Martelli is the undisputed king of complaining about the refs in the A10. Maybe Dan is catching up to him.

Of course, Martelli has nothing to complain about, when we play them at their place.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

RF1. Having anything resembling an inside game would get us to the line.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

OK crybabies...

Thru 11 home games, URI is averaging 25.1 FTA's. Thru 6 true road games, they're averaging 16.3 FTA's.

At home, they shoot 18 3-pt FGA's/game. On the road, they shoot 18.6 3-pt FGA's/game. They get 4.5 more rebounds per game at home vs. the road.

If you look at St. Bonaventure (selected them at random), they have the same trends. Shoot more FT's at home. Games they shot the least FT's were at Syracuse, at Siena, and at Buffalo.

Are their fans claiming conspiracy on the road?

Just for the record, there is no such thing as "A-10 Officials." They are independent contractors working multiple conferences. Mike Roberts, who did the GW game, does Big East games and has officiated a Final Four. Just like ol' Tim Higgins did back in the day.
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

The thing about fouls is that it has an impact on the game in 2 ways. Less fouls mean less FT's for us yes, but it also mean less foul trouble for the opposing team. I'm smack dab in the middle on this debate however. I haven't felt like we got jobbed in the majority of our games this year.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I remember Jim Harrick calling his players
together after a practice.
He very firmly told them,
"Stop complaining about the refs!
That's my job. You worry about playing
the game."
Just too much looking to the bench in
the game for players to play.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

I never played in a perfectly officiated basketball game. I found that teams that win care less about officiating than teams that lose. Winning teams program enforce their will and style of play during games. That's what they do.

Teams/programs that don't win obsess over officiating, missed calls, travel arrangements, injured players, etc. (Patriots made no excuses yesterday about any of that.)
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

I also believe I remember Jim Harrick calling his players together after practice, telling them "Don't worry about going to class and getting your grades up. That's my job. You worry about playing the game."
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:I also believe I remember Jim Harrick calling his players together after practice, telling them "Don't worry about going to class and getting your grades up. That's my job. You worry about playing the game."
LOL!
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Everyone understands that when you jack up 3s and don't drive the lane you don't get fouled as much right?

To blame or even insinuate the refs are responsible for any of our losses this year is beyond dumb and makes everyone on this board look stupid.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well, in the other thread, that article by Koch seems to insinuate that Dan thinks so.

More excuses.

We need more frontcourt depth to withstand the fouling, since it doesn't seem like that will ever go away.

These guys can't seem to get the fact that when they play aggressive man defense, they're going to foul more.

On legit point was that this team definitely needs a leader. Maybe JG will become one at some point.

Of course, no mention in that article about our penchant for taking the air out of the ball late, having no ball movement, then having to drive into the trees or take contested 3's.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Call it excuses if you like, but the statistics clearly back this disparity up. In the GW game we did take a lot of 3's, but we also took and made more shots inside the arc, and had about the same point total in the paint. If you look at the other 2 losses, you will find that we took about the same amount of 3's, and either outscored or broke even in the paint, yet took half the free throws. The biggest disparity in all three losses is the amount of free throws, and it's not from jacking up threes. If you can't see it your not looking. I may be beyond dumb, but I'm not blind.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well, it's been discussed a lot on here, the fact that Rhody doesn't get much respect from the refs.

Is it style of play, the coach's sideline antics, or what?
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I'm done with excuses.

Start finishing games, stop looking at the coach every time the pressure is on.

We have good players for 35m turn them loose in the final 5m.

Not rocket science! Earn the refs respect, play the game!!!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

Our strength is also our aggressive defense which I think lends itself to more fouls.
0 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

So sick of these tired narratives after Rhody losses. If we're at home and lose its because fans don't show up and create a home court advantage. If we lose on the road it's always the officials fault.

Cry me a river, just win baby!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

STC gets it!
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

^^^^^
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

yaaaaaaaawwwnnnn..........

GO RHODY!!!!!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RAM67 wrote:Call it excuses if you like, but the statistics clearly back this disparity up. In the GW game we did take a lot of 3's, but we also took and made more shots inside the arc, and had about the same point total in the paint. If you look at the other 2 losses, you will find that we took about the same amount of 3's, and either outscored or broke even in the paint, yet took half the free throws. The biggest disparity in all three losses is the amount of free throws, and it's not from jacking up threes. If you can't see it your not looking. I may be beyond dumb, but I'm not blind.
You just aren't being critical or cranky enough...clearly.... :lol:
0 x