Game 19: @ George Washington

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Game 19: @ George Washington

Unread post by ramster »

Strongest players this year have been GW's big men.
Cavanaugh 17.2 ppg, 7.2 rpg, .1 bpg
Larsen 12.1 ppg, 8.2 rpg, .7 bpg

Martin 12.8 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 2.6 bpg
Iverson 10.9 ppg, 6.8 rpg, 1.2 bpg.

Should be a great match up of big men with Martin and Iverson playing very well now
GW beat Fordham at home by only 6 and lost at St Louis by 3. We beat St Louis by 28 at home - only common opponent to date in A10 play or OOC play
Both teams now at 3-2 in conference play. No games for either team until this big Friday matchup
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Game 19:@ GW Friday Jan 22, 7pm ESPN2

Unread post by ramster »

GW message board. No thread for URI game yet, but FYI.

http://www.gwhoops.com/default.aspx?mid=btozffpu92
Last edited by ramster 8 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Just wish it was sooner. Will be key (obviously) for KI to work on box out technique and not get those "I'm tall and can reach over the top" fouls. I liked what DH said the other day...something to the effect that when he plays hard on D and rebounds, the offensive flow finds him. Also, hopefully JT realizes now that despite having the best physique of anyone on the court (probably any court he ever plays on)...he's got to be totally mentally invested and get after it from the beginning like he did vs LAS. That pass that bounced off his chest at Brown seemed like the beginning of a downturn that looked like it was over when he came out for warm-ups against LaSalle. Great to see, can't wait til Friday...wish it wasn't so far to drive...
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Agree 208, I wish the game was sooner, can't wait.
But it's also good for Martin's ankle to have a week to heal more, Iverson als coming off an injury so the time helps him. Also good that we are coming off a win before playing GW and that we are both of the same 3-2 record.
It's all about the conference now and 13 more games. A lot can happen.
I like our match ups with GW with our big men. This represents two great battles with our guys against Larsen and Cavanaugh.
I wish I could be there but not possible this weekend. Jealous of any RHODY fans who can make it :D :D :D
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Wish I could make it, too, just too far to drive...does the school, alumni, or local travel agencies (do they even still have those? :lol: ) ever put together bus or van trips? Will likely be making the 2+ hr drive to UMass, but would be interested in roadie ventures to almost any of the others...just not driving by myself.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Wish I could make it, too, just too far to drive...does the school, alumni, or local travel agencies (do they even still have those? :lol: ) ever put together bus or van trips? Will likely be making the 2+ hr drive to UMass, but would be interested in roadie ventures to almost any of the others...just not driving by myself.
The school used to, especially to Fordham. If enough interest is there I am sure they would put some bus trips together.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/Rhode%20Island.html

URI 4.7 point underdogs, 34% chance of winning as on Jan 17 forecast
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Thanks for the link. Am I reading correctly that they are favored in all but 3 of the remaining games...and that will give them a 21-10 record and a 53ish RPI?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Thanks for the link. Am I reading correctly that they are favored in all but 3 of the remaining games...and that will give them a 21-10 record and a 53ish RPI?
Yes you read it correctly. After the GW game we are favored to win the next 6 up until the VCU game.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Just wish it was sooner. Will be key (obviously) for KI to work on box out technique and not get those "I'm tall and can reach over the top" fouls. I liked what DH said the other day...something to the effect that when he plays hard on D and rebounds, the offensive flow finds him. Also, hopefully JT realizes now that despite having the best physique of anyone on the court (probably any court he ever plays on)...he's got to be totally mentally invested and get after it from the beginning like he did vs LAS. That pass that bounced off his chest at Brown seemed like the beginning of a downturn that looked like it was over when he came out for warm-ups against LaSalle. Great to see, can't wait til Friday...wish it wasn't so far to drive...

Since I'm having eye surgery on Thursday, I can certainly wait.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

sorry to hear that, I hope it goes well.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

ramfan85 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Just wish it was sooner. Will be key (obviously) for KI to work on box out technique and not get those "I'm tall and can reach over the top" fouls. I liked what DH said the other day...something to the effect that when he plays hard on D and rebounds, the offensive flow finds him. Also, hopefully JT realizes now that despite having the best physique of anyone on the court (probably any court he ever plays on)...he's got to be totally mentally invested and get after it from the beginning like he did vs LAS. That pass that bounced off his chest at Brown seemed like the beginning of a downturn that looked like it was over when he came out for warm-ups against LaSalle. Great to see, can't wait til Friday...wish it wasn't so far to drive...

Just had cataracts done in the last few months. Hope yours is something as simple. Good luck.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Thanks,guys. Just cataracts part 2. They space them out over a few weeks. Should be fine. But, it probably will effect free throw shooting for a few days.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramfan85 wrote:Thanks,guys. Just cataracts part 2. They space them out over a few weeks. Should be fine. But, it probably will effect free throw shooting for a few days.
Will it 'help' or 'hurt'? ;)
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Couldn't possibly hurt.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

GW's point guard Joe McDonald has not played the last couple of games due to some sort of eye injury. I do not know what the chances are that he plays Friday.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Most impressive was the Rebounding against LaSalle. After the Iona game in the Press Conference DH stressed that we had to rebound better.
Iverson 6'9" with 12 rebounds and 4 blocks far outplayed Washington 6'10" who had only 3 rebounds and fouled out playing only 13 minutes
Martin 6'7" with 3 rebounds and 3 blocks outplayed Roberts 6'6" who had 1 rebound and fouled out playing 34 minutes
LaSalle had zero blocks, we had 8 blocks

URI had 37 rebounds to LaSalle's 16
Our starting guards had 11 rebounds to LaSalle's 9
Our Bench had 6 rebounds to their 1

Could be key to upsetting GW Friday night. Need to keep Martin and Iverson out of Foul Trouble - getting inside position as they did against Lasalle should help
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Iverson has been a good rebounder. He was a dog against Lasalle. Wow.

There were times on the offensive end where he dove by his man and boxed the guy out like Iverson was the defender.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

ramfan85 wrote:

Good luck my friend. I'm going to be down in Newport Friday so maybe we could watch the game together? Let me know.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ramster wrote:Strongest players this year have been GW's big men.
Cavanaugh 17.2 ppg, 7.2 rpg, .1 bpg
Larsen 12.1 ppg, 8.2 rpg, .7 bpg
Larsen is a fairly known commodity- he can disappear for moments from time to time, but he's a very good player. Cavanaugh, the Wake Forest transfer playing in his first year in the A10, is likely to be a problem. He has legit size and has also hit 26 three's, to lead the team. The team overall has a lot of length.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

When Cavanaugh moves out to the 3 point line we have to move with him and not allow any open 3s. I don't think he is a threat at all to put the ball on the floor and go to the hoop. The same is true with Larsen but we may want him to take 3s.

If we stay out of foul trouble I really like our chances. We need the "A" game from our guys. Four of our starters (not Four) need to play 30-32 minutes with our usual tough defense.
My major concern is with Cavanaugh and Larsen overpowering us down low. They are both bigger and stronger than us. We may have to do some double teaming without fouling.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Similar to Cline and Allen at Richmond, their two bigs will be tough to stop, just shut down everyone else and we can win this game. Our back court has to outplay theirs by a wide margin.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I don't know how well Iverson will be able to handle either Cavanaugh or Larsen. They're a lot stronger than Kuran and can back him down easily. He gives me a little more confidence after his La Salle performance. If he can use his athleticism like that against GW he should be able to cause some problems for them. Earl will likely have to be tapped in and bring the noise in this one.

No Joe McDonald would be encouraging, but Jorgensen and Mitola are good players as well. Would rather beat them with Joe playing though.
I just remember watching GW beat Virginia earlier this year and how freakin good they looked and then watching us and thinking they'd tear us a new one.
However, we did out tough them twice last year.
Let's prove we still got more balls....even though we have don't have as many scholarship players.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Another road game in which URI will be an underdog. We all know how those games always go.
It would be nice if they could somehow change the script for once, but I am certainly not
expecting any different result. And the Rams always play poorly in DC and GW is probably the
most dominant at home along with Davidson and Dayton. This is probably not the game where
Rhody tosses aside the road dog jinx. But anything is possible, so I will be watching anyway.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

steveystuds06 wrote:
ramfan85 wrote:

Good luck my friend. I'm going to be down in Newport Friday so maybe we could watch the game together? Let me know.

Thanks. I'm hoping to have 2 eyes available for Friday's game. If I only can watch with 1, and we lose, maybe it will only hurt half as much as usual.lol.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Game 19: @ George Washington - Friday Jan 22, 7pm ESPN2

Unread post by ramster »

Winter Storm Jonas due to hit Washington DC Friday - could limit attendance
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

i think they will get in and to the game just fine, they problem will be leaving DC after the game
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

We will win this game.. No doubt in my mind
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ElmCityRhody wrote:We will win this game.. No doubt in my mind
Eventually you'll have to be correct, right?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ace wrote:
I hope Elm City ends up being right this Friday :D :D
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

twisted3829 wrote:i think they will get in and to the game just fine, they problem will be leaving DC after the game

This GW fan on their fan board doesn't think there will be any issues regarding Rhody and travel:
By: Tuna Can (1,661 posts) - 1/20/2016 9:30:40 AM

Women.... 4 wheelers are fine in the area. This is basketball.... like doctors and police. People will get around. To memory, no one has not come to a game when they aren't entirely positive how they will get back. Forgive my perceived rudeness, but it's URI--they don't go to class anyway. If they return on Monday, now one cares, especially the team. Don't you think that they would prefer to be in DC than in Rhody?
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Sounds like an ignorant PC fan.
0 x
GO RAMS
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I was looking at GW's postseason history and was surprised at their general lack of much success. While GW has been to more NCAA tournaments than Rhody (11 vs 8), they do not have much to show for it with their most notable win being New Mexico (URI has NCAA wins over the likes of Kansas, Syracuse, Purdue, and Missouri). GW has been to very few NIT's and won their only game just last season. In total, GW has just five postseason wins in their entire history (URI has 21).

GW POSTSEASON HISTORY
NCAA 11 Appearances 4-11
NIT 5 Appearances 1-5
CBI 1 Appearance 0-1

YEAR TOURNAMENT | OPPONENT | RESULT
============================================================
1954 NCAA First Round | NC State | L 73–75
1961 NCAA First Round | Princeton | L 67–84
1993 NCAA First Round | New Mexico | W 82–68
1993 NCAA Second Round | Southern | W 90–80
1993 NCAA Sweet Sixteen | Michigan | L 64–72
1994 NCAA First Round | UAB | W 51–46
1994 NCAA Second Round | Connecticut | L 63–75
1996 NCAA First Round | Iowa | L 79–81
1998 NCAA First Round | Oklahoma State | L 59–74
1999 NCAA First Round | Indiana | L 88–108
2005 NCAA First Round | Georgia Tech | L 68–80
2006 NCAA First Round | UNC Wilmington | W 88–85OT
2006 NCAA Second Round | Duke | L 61–74
2007 NCAA First Round | Vanderbilt | L 44–77
2014 NCAA First Round | Memphis | L 66–71
1991 NIT First Round | South Carolina | L 63–69
1995 NIT First Round | Ohio | L 71–83
1997 NIT First Round | Michigan State | L 50–65
2004 NIT First Round | Virginia | L 66–79
2015 NIT First Round | Pittsburgh | W 60–54
2015 NIT Second Round | Temple | L 77–90
2010 CBI First Round | VCU | L 73–79
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Yep....and with that 2-4 record in games decided by 5 or less...it's clear that their coaching has sucked at close games since 1954...they must be so tired of that shtuff... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

ace wrote:
maybe our "fortunes" will turn when the market rebouncs..

eventually it has to come back up.. i think...

oh, and i still believe my 6-3 post will come true

glass half full !
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I think our guards will play well enough to win this game, the question is will Iverson start strong and then pick up 2 quick fouls and sit the rest of the half. He is the key to us winning. I would try as much as possible to keep him away from having to pick at the top of the key; he gets fouls called on him ALL the time there. If we get stuck playing Akele for long stretches I don't think he can defend their bigs. Earl will need to show up and Hass should be expecting a ton of minutes. We can't have one of our 7 pts the first 12 mins start against this team. Need to start strong!! I'm so pumped for this game and the Pats!!!!!
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Its URI!? I never went to class but I don't like when a GW person says it!

There is a lot out there about how GW sucked and the president in the '80s just raised tuition. That raised the profile of the school through capital projects essentially setting off the higher education arms race as we know it.

GW?! GW? Screw GW.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

In the huge basketball shadow of both UMD and Georgetown - no easy path
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

RF1 wrote:
twisted3829 wrote:i think they will get in and to the game just fine, they problem will be leaving DC after the game

This GW fan on their fan board doesn't think there will be any issues regarding Rhody and travel:

Women.... 4 wheelers are fine in the area. This is basketball.... like doctors and police. People will get around. To memory, no one has not come to a game when they aren't entirely positive how they will get back. Forgive my perceived rudeness, but it's URI--they don't go to class anyway. If they return on Monday, now one cares, especially the team. Don't you think that they would prefer to be in DC than in Rhody?
Why would I want to live in Washington? I don't even think I could stomach LIVING in the same town as Barack Obama.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

KenPom has this one as GW winning 70-66.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

860_rhody wrote:
RF1 wrote:

Why would I want to live in Washington? I don't even think I could stomach LIVING in the same town as Barack Obama.
Hear! Hear!
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

860_rhody wrote:
RF1 wrote:

Yes. "Now one cares." Guessing someone at the "great" GW has missed a class or two.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

If you've ever spent time in the DC area when there's been any weather situation at all, you know that this weekend could be miserable for the team if the forecast plays out.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It is fortunate that the next game is five days after GW (vs Fordham Wed 1-27-16). Rhody might not get out of DC right away. Saturday will be bad in that area. My guess is they don't try to return until Sunday. Always have the train option (especially on a weekend with no classes necessitating a quick return) if the airport is closed.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Agree with that, Ace. And it doesn't look good at all.

They could be stuck there for a while. Hopefully the storm holds off long enough for them to fly out of there......
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

And in honor of both the upcoming weather and everyone's favorite ref, I share with you this tweet-

0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

5 inches of snow cripples DC. This could be bad.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Was he the one who Dan was heard saying "He sucks!" to the other coach last year?
0 x
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

Hopefully the teams attitude is "well if we're going to be stuck here, we better at least win the game" and not "let's just get the hell out of here as quick as possible"
0 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!