Road Wins

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Road Wins

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Got to thinking the other night...what would be the best road wins in the modern history of URI basketball? (Modern era being we, posters', lifetimes.) It's hard to come up with significant road wins. (Not NEUTRAL COURT!)

Obviously, winning at Syracuse in whatever year that was. I remember URI winning at UVA with Silk and Tommy. Did URI ever beat a ranked Temple team at McConigle Hall? I would not count the win at LSU a few years ago...LSU hasn't been good in a long time and I wasn't impressed with them last night vs. Ole Miss either.

Feel free to chime in with the great road wins. I don't think it's long list.
0 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Re: Road Wins

Unread post by Joe »

Road win vs. Fordham last year. Gilvydas Biruta's buzzer beater. Quality RPI win.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Joe is not serious. I hope not anyway.

Let's see...Baron's win against VaTech in the NIT about 8 years ago?

Ouchie........
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I smiled when I read the title of this thread.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

ramfan85 wrote:I smiled when I read the title of this thread.
I thought impossible.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

How about beating Bill Cartwright & the SF Dons? Alright it was almost 40 yrs ago but they don't get much better than that.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Not gonna be many pages.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Going to answer the question in a different way. Moten was on track with the UVA win, but that year was an amazing road year. The Rams were 28 and 7 that year and played only 10 home games of which 7 were at Keaney. Nine neutral games (including the dance and a-10 tournament) and 16 road games with a record of 14 and 2! They won at a number of "pits" and 6 by double digits, including the 31 point route at GW (the silk bounce pass game). and obviously they knew how to win the close ones.
The one win that stands out is the West Virginia game in the a-10 tournament. The games were played at Morgantown and with a hostile crowd giving it to Penders, the Rams won and advanced to the final game against Temple. That team was truly "Rhode Warriors".
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

At Wake Forest in 1992 when WF had to forefeit their win. Sure it wasn't an actual W in the win column, but the loss was removed when looking at postseason consideration.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

The '98 team won at Temple. In Sly's last year, we won at St. John's. The best one I remember was already mentioned, when the '78 team won at SF, who were a national powerhouse at the time.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Dustin Hallenga buzzer beater 3 at Dayton
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

neil wrote:Going to answer the question in a different way. Moten was on track with the UVA win, but that year was an amazing road year. The Rams were 28 and 7 that year and played only 10 home games of which 7 were at Keaney. Nine neutral games (including the dance and a-10 tournament) and 16 road games with a record of 14 and 2! They won at a number of "pits" and 6 by double digits, including the 31 point route at GW (the silk bounce pass game). and obviously they knew how to win the close ones.
The one win that stands out is the West Virginia game in the a-10 tournament. The games were played at Morgantown and with a hostile crowd giving it to Penders, the Rams won and advanced to the final game against Temple. That team was truly "Rhode Warriors".
^I like.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

The SLU road game in DH's 1st or 2nd year was decent when SLU was good. Also @ LSU.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

To date, Dan Hurley's road record is 15-33, a 31% winning mark. For those interested in comparisons, J. Baron road record was about 40%.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Any PC win... Jimmy lighting up Syracuse, Lsu, Dustin's 3 at Dayton, and Virginia Tech in the NIT quarterfinals. Best Neutral court win for me was Xavier in the A10 semis.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

At Boston College in the N.I.T.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

jmck wrote:At Boston College in the N.I.T.
^Also like.

was in attendance and Rhody fans brought the ruckus!
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

How about Dan's first win at URI?
I was there. It was awesome. Would be nice to get a few of these among the remaining games this year.
Yes that was the same Jordan Price who now plays for LaSalle.

Rhode Island 78, Auburn 72
Nov. 25, 2012
AUBURN, Ala. (AP) - Rhode Island guard Xavier Munford scored 33 points to lead the Rams to a 79-72, double-overtime victory on the road at Auburn Sunday afternoon.
Munford's desperation 3 at the buzzer at the end of the first overtime kept the Rams alive and forced another overtime period. The Rams outscored the Tigers 13-6 in the game's second overtime to earn the victory.
Senior forward Nikola Malesevic scored 19 points for Rhode Island, and former Auburn player Andre Malone recorded 13 points and 8 rebounds for the Rams.
The win marks Rhode Island's first victory of the season, lifting the Rams' record to 1-5. With the loss, Auburn drops to 2-4 on the year.
Freshman guard Jordan Price led the Tigers with 19 points off of the bench, shooting 5 of 8 from 3-point range in the losing effort. Forward Noel Johnson added 13 points for the Tigers.
Auburn led, 65-61, with 29 seconds to play in the first overtime period before Munford led the Rams on a comeback effort in the waning moments. Munford's jump shot cut the lead to two with 23 seconds to play. Johnson hit one free throw for the Tigers moments later but missed a second, giving Munford and the Rams a chance to tie the game with 11 seconds remaining.
Munford's 3-point shot at the buzzer tied the game at 66, and the Rams went on to control the pace and win in the second overtime
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

ramster wrote:How about Dan's first win at URI?
I was there. It was awesome. Would be nice to get a few of these among the remaining games this year.

Nov. 25, 2012
AUBURN, Ala. (AP) - Rhode Island guard Xavier Munford scored 33 points to lead the Rams to a 79-72, double-overtime victory on the road at Auburn Sunday afternoon.
Munford's desperation 3 at the buzzer at the end of the first overtime kept the Rams alive and forced another overtime period. The Rams outscored the Tigers 13-6 in the game's second overtime to earn the victory.
Senior forward Nikola Malesevic scored 19 points for Rhode Island, and former Auburn player Andre Malone recorded 13 points and 8 rebounds for the Rams.
The win marks Rhode Island's first victory of the season, lifting the Rams' record to 1-5. With the loss, Auburn drops to 2-4 on the year.
Freshman guard Jordan Price led the Tigers with 19 points off of the bench, shooting 5 of 8 from 3-point range in the losing effort. Forward Noel Johnson added 13 points for the Tigers.
Auburn led, 65-61, with 29 seconds to play in the first overtime period before Munford led the Rams on a comeback effort in the waning moments. Munford's jump shot cut the lead to two with 23 seconds to play. Johnson hit one free throw for the Tigers moments later but missed a second, giving Munford and the Rams a chance to tie the game with 11 seconds remaining.
Munford's 3-point shot at the buzzer tied the game at 66, and the Rams went on to control the pace and win in the second overtime
I remember watching a video of Hurley going nuts with all the guys in the locker room after that win. It was awesome.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Running Ram wrote:
jmck wrote:At Boston College in the N.I.T.
^Also like.

was in attendance and Rhody fans brought the ruckus!
More impressive as it was @Vandy and @BC back to back road wins. I'm more partial to the BC win as I was there too when the students brought it.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Changing my vote to the bc game. It was electric being there and shutting up the eagle fans.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Nov. 25, 2012
I think this is where I'm spoiled because I saw really good Ram teams in HS, college and after graduation. Then Jerry D became coach and the Rhody "dark ages" began. Beating a bad P5 team doesn't do anything for me. Auburn hasn't been good since Charles Barkley, yeah, the crazy commentator who knows nothing about college basketball, that guy. But, he was a really, really good as a player.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Sweep The Leg wrote:

Nov. 25, 2012
I think this is where I'm spoiled because I saw really good Ram teams in HS, college and after graduation. Then Jerry D became coach and the Rhody "dark ages" began. Beating a bad P5 team doesn't do anything for me. Auburn hasn't been good since Charles Barkley, yeah, the crazy commentator who knows nothing about college basketball, that guy. But, he was a really, really good as a player.
True, but the question was asked by playmikemotenmore what were great road wins. I think beating Auburn at Auburn for DHs first victory was ok, but the way we won was incredible snatching victory from defeat.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

I do remember the win at Morgantown. That's a tough place to win and Gale Catlett had good teams there. After viewing this thread and the nominations, it's amazing how short the list is. So many close calls...

I think URI played UCONN really close during '97 or '98. (I could be wrong.)
Had a close loss with Skinner's team at UMASS when Coach Cal was there.
Obviously, the game at Duke.

The great road wins are few and far between.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:I do remember the win at Morgantown. That's a tough place to win and Gale Catlett had good teams there. After viewing this thread and the nominations, it's amazing how short the list is. So many close calls...

I think URI played UCONN really close during '97 or '98. (I could be wrong.)
Had a close loss with Skinner's team at UMASS when Coach Cal was there.
Obviously, the game at Duke.

The great road wins are few and far between.
The UConn game was in 1997-98, we lost by 13. But, we were up double digits at one point. I remember seeing Lamar Odom sitting behind the bench holding a basketball just waiting to play. That same year we lost to Stanford by 1 in the regular season in CA (then again in the game not mentioned) and lost to a ranked Cincy team on Super Bowl Sunday in a really close game.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Beating GW on Friday would probably give us the best road conference win since 2010, when we won at Dayton and broke their 33 game home win streak.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We are certainly capable of winning Friday.

Being capable and actually doing it, well that's two different things......
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

^ That's the spirit! Now, get ready for it to happen.
Bummer that it's not 'til Friday...but will be an awesome way to cap off the week.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:^ That's the spirit! Now, get ready for it to happen.
Bummer that it's not 'til Friday...but will be an awesome way to cap off the week.
Just created topic for this Fridays game to get discussion started. Next game for both teams is Friday!
Last edited by ramster 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
BornNBred33
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BornNBred33 »

Obadiah wrote:To date, Dan Hurley's road record is 15-33, a 31% winning mark. For those interested in comparisons, J. Baron road record was about 40%.
To be fair, we should only count the DH era from 2014-15 to 2015-16.
0 x
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

I agree on the back to back NIT games, BC and Vandy. I was at both (and also the Utah loss) and that was a good run. That was an expensive few weeks for the travel budget! I was also at Auburn, but that was only a DH highlight, not all time like a few have mentioned.
Interesting story about the NIT: We were offered home games but Tom Dugan did not want to spend the $ in light of the Scott Kent(Jeff's brother) gambling incident. Funny how Dugan could make that call back in those days. Weird but true. Luck ran out in Utah as we played 8 vs. 5 all night with Majerus going nuts all night and refs letting him coach from mid court.
0 x
Frank_Keaney_95
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Frank_Keaney_95 »

I love DH but he hasn't had any signature wins on the road yet.

I was also at the BC, Vandy and Utah games back in '92. What a ride? That team got screwed on Selection Sunday and totally deserved a bid that year. They channeled their disappointment into a great run through the NIT.

One of my favorite under the radar road wins was back in '91 beating a very tough Temple team (who would lose in the Final Eight that year) at McGonigle Hall with Carlos Cofield going off hitting five threes as a freshman. Eric Leslie was hurt. Andre Samuel with the game-winner. Jeff Kent played tough as per usual. That win was a sneak peak of what was in store for us over the next couple of years.

http://articles.philly.com/1991-02-20/s ... arstarphen
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Frank_Keaney_95 wrote:I love DH but he hasn't had any signature wins on the road yet.
He would have had some this year by now had his best player not been injured. So what's the point?
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund