Game 17: @ St Bonaventure Wednesday Jan 13 @7pm

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Re: Game 17: @ St Bonaventure Wednesday Jan 13 @7pm

Unread post by RIFan »

section(105) wrote:
SGreenwell wrote:
RIFan wrote:I think what has become obvious is this team has a few "good to really good" players but no stars. Teams like that can only win if they play a good brand of smart, sharing basketball. We do not have the players to go one-on-one, and breakdown their man or create their own shot.
If only we had that sort of player coming into the year.
And that absence of a star type player described is what I thought when I started the recruits topic....were expecting to have landed one by now...?
I too thought that by now we would have more than a volume shooter/scorer in EC, as star player. This year was a golden opportunity for one (or more) to emerge...none have.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RIFan wrote:
section(105) wrote:And that absence of a star type player described is what I thought when I started the recruits topic....were expecting to have landed one by now...?
I too thought that by now we would have more than a volume shooter in EC as star player. This year was a golden opportunity for one (or more) to emerge...none have.
I mean, I realize it comes off as complaining or making excuses, but EC was the guy on the roster that had the chance to make that jump. He was a sophomore going into his junior year, and there was reason to believe he'd improve again, like he did from freshman to sophomore year. Many of the issues with the team - has Terrell stagnated, are they fatigued down the stretch, etc. - to me, his injury muddles the situation so much that it's tough for me to get a read on them. I realize that's a frustrating "answer," but to me this whole season amounts to a bit of an "eh?" when it comes to evaluating Hurley and URI's direction.

For comparison's sake - The Pacers went 56-26 in 2013-14. They lost Paul George, and went 38-44 the next year. The Bulls' first year dealing with Derek Rose's injury, they dropped from a .758 winning percentage to .549. I'm more familiar with pro basketball than college, but I'd be interested in seeing some teams in a comparable situation to URI. None really sprang to mind. Kris Dunn was hurt his first two years at PC, then established himself. Kenyon Martin broke his leg at the end of the year, not the beginning.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rambone 78 wrote:Like I said, if Dan gets off his conservative duff, and keeps the teams' foot on the gas late in games, we will start to improve and actually win some of these games.
Can you please stop posting some version of this "keep playing up tempo late in the game" thing over and over? It's been shown already in this thread, that URI's average length of possession is #344 in the country out of 351. There have been many issues with this team finishing games this season. Suddenly slowing down the tempo is not one of them. They play slow the entire game, you are wrong, please let it go and return to repeating one of your other hundreds of made up theories.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

914, I've heard the "ignore" list works really well.

Use it. I have, in your case. I don't spend my time being critical of other posters.

Since you don't add anything of value, goodbye.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Figures Koch would rush to defend the status quo.
He's the house man in the media.
CFL's close wins were mostly before February.
Dan's 50 games in 3 plus seasons is a larger percentage
than any of the coaches mentioned.
He also takes a cheap shot at Harrick,
who only took four schools to the NCAAs and won
a national championship.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

URI2006_Andy wrote:URI2006_Andy wrote: I'm not going to blame the guy [JT] for not scoring. He's in an offensive system that doesn't match his skill set.

BFC wrote: Exactly, implement an offensive system that highlights players who can't shoot and are average, at best, at finishing around the basket.

BFC - After giving more thought, you’re right. No use in complaining unless accompanied by a solution. There isn’t an offensive system in which JT will be a focal point unless he improves his shooting and/or his skills around the rim.

He’s a good complimentary guard because he can defend the opposing team’s best guard and you have to put an athlete on him defensively. But he needs to sharpen his skills and not lose focus to be a starting guard on an NCAA tournament team. If criticizing him publicly is the way to motivate him so be it. I’m sure DH knows better than we do how JT will respond to the criticism.

Still doesn’t excuse DH from getting more creative to better utilize whatever skills we do have. My suggestion since before the STL game has been transition 3s not necessarily being shot by JT.

As for the close game stats, its all about timing. Baron had a knack for losing every game that would have put us over the hump. Harrick the opposite.
At this point, I actually think Terrell would have been been better off learning to be a full time PG from the beginning. He's actually better at dishing when he drives than Garrett (Garrett had at least 3 dump offs that would have been dunks but he shot intstead vs. St. Bon.). But overall, its no comparison, I want the ball in Garrett's hands. That leaves Terrell off the ball where he can't hit an open jumper and for whatever reason, his athleticism just doesn't translate on the floor. He still brings something to the table, should be playing more than 4 on 4's off-nights, and I'm happy to have him but I'm not buying that the program's future is dependent on him.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

One of the problems with Baron is that we played so damn many close games against teams that we should have blown out. Always played down to the level of our competition. I think with Hurley we have done a better job of not being in close games with teams that we out-class. This is a generality, of course, and as such there are exceptions (Iona this year, for one). We have lost more than our fair share of close games, and we can debate the reasons for that, but please, let us not ever say that Hurley isn't light years better than Baron.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

On a related note, we went 6-3 on the road last year in A10 play. I don't think Hurley knew something last year that he forgot this year and suddenly pisses himself and makes the team do the same in the last 5 minutes on the road. Something is wrong for sure, and needs to improve, but some of the ideas being tossed around this place are mind-numbingly stupid.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Sorry for the consecutive posts - just stumbled across this Popovich interview. Pop could very well be the greatest active coach in professional sports, he's up there with Belichick. Pop is also hilarious. I love his answer when asked how he can get Duncan and Aldridge more involved in the game offensively. Maybe Hurley should try that tactic?

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2016/1/1 ... YE8GcUe7hp
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

[quote="sf2010"]Sorry for the consecutive posts - just stumbled across this Popovich interview. Pop could very well be the greatest active coach in professional sports, he's up there with Belichick. Pop is also hilarious. I love his answer when asked how he can get Duncan and Aldridge more involved in the game offensively. Maybe Hurley should try that tactic?

Couldn't agree more...great coach AND hilarious. Loved his response to a question about retiring..."I don't know...doubt it...the pay's pretty good..."
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:914, I've heard the "ignore" list works really well.

Use it. I have, in your case. I don't spend my time being critical of other posters.

I think that's a mistake...914 is one of the more interesting posters here... ;)
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

sf, don't be such a ciuccione (that's pronounced Chooch-own, in case you're wondering and it's a little Italian slag we like to call people behaving moronically) Comparing how one coaches Pro's vs. how one coaches college basketball is ridiculous, I can only assume you were just trying to lighten the mood around here. "Pop" isn't exactly talking about kids at a crucial stage of development.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Moronic is a pretty good way to describe things around here lately. After we play our best 100 minutes of basketball this season, we play below-average games on the road against good teams and lose both games and people are seriously asking if Dan should lose his job. Fucking moronic. I was trying to lighten the mood a bit, but I guess that's out the window now...

Clearly coaching professionals and college athletes are not the same thing. Pop has also called timeouts because his team was playing poorly and then proceeded to do nothing but stare at them for the entire timeout. When asked by a reporter why he did that, he said "They know what they did wrong. What do I need to tell them for?" The man is hilarious and a brilliant coach. Not saying DH should adopt that, you're right, it's probably not the best teaching tactic given the players' various stages of development. I just happen to disagree strongly with those who have said that "at this level it all comes down to the coaches." I don't absolve DH of some of the blame, but as you saw against Saint Louis and Richmond, the team looks a hell of a lot better when the players actually make shots. DH can't shoot it for them. He can't make Jarvis dish instead of shoot in a key moment. Things happen. We lose close games more than we win them. We lose road games against good teams more than we win them. It is remarkably frustrating for us as fans. I just think it is absurd when people point out a facet of a game where we performed poorly and the result wasn't what we wanted and say "Why doesn't Dan see that?"
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

^ The world (and this board in particular) is a much less gloomy place when they just 'make shots.' When they shoot well...they win and everyone's happy. When they don't, they lose, and this board is a gloom-fest.

So they won't win every game...it's college hoops...'sposed to be, um..."fun"?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:^ The world (and this board in particular) is a much less gloomy place when they just 'make shots.' When they shoot well...they win and everyone's happy. When they don't, they lose, and this board is a gloom-fest.

I guess URI basketball fans take it a little more seriously and are a little bit more passionate than UNH fans are. Seeing your team fall short of making an NCAA tourney for 16 years, or whatever it is now, is not fun.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Point of clarification: one of the most frustrating things for many of us about Baron's tenure was how he would always blame things on "players not making plays," or "the other team just made shots." It was frustrating because there was clearly so much more wrong with the teams and the programs than just that. DH should not always blame things publicly on that, and there are certainly areas of coaching where he needs to improve. But, sometimes, not all the time, it is just as simple as that.

Also, don't have a problem with DH saying our "highly touted guys" need to perform better publicly. I'm sure he has tried many things behind the scenes. When is the last time Iverson wasn't in foul trouble? [Just looked it up, Saint Louis. Prior to that, Houston.] Watching the games, these are silly, lazy fouls that he is committing. It hurts the team when he isn't on the floor. He needs to do better. I'm sure Hurley calling him out wasn't the first (or even tenth) time he's heard it. Jared needs to maintain his composure better. Last year we saw all the energy and emotion, but I also noticed him get very down on the court when things were going poorly. They just happened to go poorly less frequently last year, so people didn't see it as much. Against SBU his attitude kept him out of the game. I'm sure it wasn't the first (or even tenth) time that Hurley talked to him about it. I would guess that Hurley is showing some adaptability in how he is trying to get his players to improve.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

sf2010 wrote:Moronic is a pretty good way to describe things around here lately. After we play our best 100 minutes of basketball this season, we play below-average games on the road against good teams and lose both games and people are seriously asking if Dan should lose his job. Fucking moronic. I was trying to lighten the mood a bit, but I guess that's out the window now...

Clearly coaching professionals and college athletes are not the same thing. Pop has also called timeouts because his team was playing poorly and then proceeded to do nothing but stare at them for the entire timeout. When asked by a reporter why he did that, he said "They know what they did wrong. What do I need to tell them for?" The man is hilarious and a brilliant coach. Not saying DH should adopt that, you're right, it's probably not the best teaching tactic given the players' various stages of development. I just happen to disagree strongly with those who have said that "at this level it all comes down to the coaches." I don't absolve DH of some of the blame, but as you saw against Saint Louis and Richmond, the team looks a hell of a lot better when the players actually make shots. DH can't shoot it for them. He can't make Jarvis dish instead of shoot in a key moment. Things happen. We lose close games more than we win them. We lose road games against good teams more than we win them. It is remarkably frustrating for us as fans. I just think it is absurd when people point out a facet of a game where we performed poorly and the result wasn't what we wanted and say "Why doesn't Dan see that?"
I assume the Dan losing his job moronic comment was directed at me. I didn't say he needed to lose his job right now, but if these continued close game meltdowns happen against what you deemed below average teams. Again, I also stated that he does have the right to coach next year's team as he built that team, these are all his guys and EC will be back. I fear that the talent will not reach their true on court potential with him as HC.

If these kids can't shoot or make good basketball decisions in game, that's on Dan. Why not recurit better shooters? Smarter players who can be coached up in making good decisions? The situational coaching is atrocious especially at the end of games where strategy is paramount.

They played well against STL because STL is garbage right now. Richmond is a horrible defensive team especially at the 3 point line and they missed a ton of FTs and all 3 one in one opportunities in the second half.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

sf, I see we're going to have to agree to disagree, for the record I certainly did not call for Dan's job.

I just can't fathom how you or anyone else can stand reading and hearing all the excuses and deflections. Seriously, just one time I'd like to read or hear Dan say (and mean) something along the lines of "This is on me and I'm going to get it fixed." I say this because, yes different players have different strengths and weaknesses, but clearly we have the talent to challenge any team in the A10, we shouldn't be falling apart down the stretch of most games, that's coaching my friends, that's coaching.

I barely ever offer an opinion as to solutions, because I am not familiar with any of the 'behind the scenes' factors and I am only familiar with what happens in the games, therefore I have incomplete knowledge of the situation, I only know what other fans know, so I speak to that, because that's my job as a fan and member of this forum. Getting it right, finding a way, providing solutions is the job of the Pro's and the only Pro's involved are the coaches, not the kids.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

SGreenwell wrote:
RIFan wrote:
section(105) wrote:And that absence of a star type player described is what I thought when I started the recruits topic....were expecting to have landed one by now...?
I too thought that by now we would have more than a volume shooter in EC as star player. This year was a golden opportunity for one (or more) to emerge...none have.
I mean, I realize it comes off as complaining or making excuses, but EC was the guy on the roster that had the chance to make that jump. He was a sophomore going into his junior year, and there was reason to believe he'd improve again, like he did from freshman to sophomore year. Many of the issues with the team - has Terrell stagnated, are they fatigued down the stretch, etc. - to me, his injury muddles the situation so much that it's tough for me to get a read on them. I realize that's a frustrating "answer," but to me this whole season amounts to a bit of an "eh?" when it comes to evaluating Hurley and URI's direction.

For comparison's sake - The Pacers went 56-26 in 2013-14. They lost Paul George, and went 38-44 the next year. The Bulls' first year dealing with Derek Rose's injury, they dropped from a .758 winning percentage to .549. I'm more familiar with pro basketball than college, but I'd be interested in seeing some teams in a comparable situation to URI. None really sprang to mind. Kris Dunn was hurt his first two years at PC, then established himself. Kenyon Martin broke his leg at the end of the year, not the beginning.
I agree, that was the hope with good reason, and yes losing EC does shift around roles and the depth chart. But it also exposes flaws that he may have covered up. FWIW I think Four and Thompson would have been great complimentary players on this team with a healthy EC, and they are being asked to do more than they probably are capable of at this point. I am really not sure what is wrong with JT...maybe he would be better as a PG. I thought he was promised that during recruitment, just like EC was.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:914, I've heard the "ignore" list works really well.

I think that's a mistake...914 is one of the more interesting posters here... ;)
Agree with NYG, I don't think that you really want to ignore Adam
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

I'm not really a big fan of blocking posters. Doesn't seem to be a good way to learn things if you block people with a different perspective.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

sf2010 wrote:I'm not really a big fan of blocking posters. Doesn't seem to be a good way to learn things if you block people with a different perspective.
It also makes for a more boring board quite honestly. The differing of opinions, the varying levels of satisfaction with the team and the information shared makes the board most interesting.
I have never blocked anyone.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

I blocked sean once long ago, otherwise I like debate. And adam is fine, he does bring relevant points up from behind the Keaney Blue glasses.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I've never blocked anyone.
One or two are dead to me.
Adam was one of my favorite posters.
Ever since he put the Bob Sr. avatar up, he's become
a fan of status quo, which is his right to do.
(no, Adam is not one of my mentally banished)
I've gone from total DH Koolaide drinker, to
taking a more realistic view of things.
None of it is remotely personal.
We all want the program to do well,
while having our own ideas of how that
gets accomplished.
We don't have many trolls here,so there's that.
It's all good.....
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

SGreenwell wrote: I mean, I realize it comes off as complaining or making excuses, but EC was the guy on the roster that had the chance to make that jump. He was a sophomore going into his junior year, and there was reason to believe he'd improve again, like he did from freshman to sophomore year. Many of the issues with the team - has Terrell stagnated, are they fatigued down the stretch, etc. - to me, his injury muddles the situation so much that it's tough for me to get a read on them. I realize that's a frustrating "answer," but to me this whole season amounts to a bit of an "eh?" when it comes to evaluating Hurley and URI's direction.
EC didn't really improve too much from his freshman year to his sophomore year. His scoring was up because he took more shots but almost all his other stats went slightly down except for turnovers which went up. Also I realize he was injured and stats don't tell the whole story but anybody who watched most of the games last season should remember that EC often held onto the ball way too long and made a lot of poor decisions on offense.

I do feel Dan should get a pass this year before we put him on the hotseat but my biggest fear is what happens if we have injuries next year? Do we automatically just say it's a lost year like a lot of people are saying about this year?

As others have said there's way too much talent on this team even without EC to be losing some of the games we're losing. And there's no reason to believe anything is going to change at this point in the season. Dan's record against top 50 rpi teams is atrocious so how can anyone believe that Hurley has a chance to win the A10 tournament this year?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

josephski wrote:
SGreenwell wrote: I mean, I realize it comes off as complaining or making excuses, but EC was the guy on the roster that had the chance to make that jump. He was a sophomore going into his junior year, and there was reason to believe he'd improve again, like he did from freshman to sophomore year. Many of the issues with the team - has Terrell stagnated, are they fatigued down the stretch, etc. - to me, his injury muddles the situation so much that it's tough for me to get a read on them. I realize that's a frustrating "answer," but to me this whole season amounts to a bit of an "eh?" when it comes to evaluating Hurley and URI's direction.
EC didn't really improve too much from his freshman year to his sophomore year. His scoring was up because he took more shots but almost all his other stats went slightly down except for turnovers which went up. Also I realize he was injured and stats don't tell the whole story but anybody who watched most of the games last season should remember that EC often held onto the ball way too long and made a lot of poor decisions on offense.

I do feel Dan should get a pass this year before we put him on the hotseat but my biggest fear is what happens if we have injuries next year? Do we automatically just say it's a lost year like a lot of people are saying about this year?

As others have said there's way too much talent on this team even without EC to be losing some of the games we're losing. And there's no reason to believe anything is going to change at this point in the season. Dan's record against top 50 rpi teams is atrocious so how can anyone believe that Hurley has a chance to win the A10 tournament this year?
I think rambone said it best:
"We have the talent to beat anyone in the A10. At home or on the road.

We have led just about every game we've played this year, at some point in the 2nd half.

That takes a certain amount of ability. We can play with almost anybody."
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
josephski wrote:

We have led just about every game we've played this year, at some point in the 2nd half.

As I said before I know we have the talent but Hurley has not proven yet that he can win important games. So yes it's possible everything changes and we win the A10 but based on everything we've seen this season and last I don't think it's very realistic.

Look at Josh Pastner or Rick Barnes. Both coaches usually have very talented rosters but are known for underachieving. Hopefully the same isn't true for Hurley.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
josephski wrote:

This was the same story last year. This is now the sequel to that. Hopefully, it's not a trilogy, because if it is, it would give Star Wars 1-3 a run for it's money in badness and unrealized expectations.
Last edited by Sweep The Leg 8 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
Keatgsr07
Kenny Green

Unread post by Keatgsr07 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:^ The world (and this board in particular) is a much less gloomy place when they just 'make shots.' When they shoot well...they win and everyone's happy. When they don't, they lose, and this board is a gloom-fest.

I guess URI basketball fans take it a little more seriously and are a little bit more passionate than UNH fans are. Seeing your team fall short of making an NCAA tourney for 16 years, or whatever it is now, is not fun.
Well said, Billy.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Keatgsr07 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:

That's a shame...because...I think it's still supposed to be fun. "Taking it seriously"?" Seriously?? It's college kids playing basketball. Even if it was the same school you went to, it's not like they 'know' you...they're bummed when they lose, I'm sure, but I don't think it's because they are afraid they hurt your passionate/serious feelings. It's a 'job' for the kids and coaches, we need to be careful not to care more than they do...
0 x
Keatgsr07
Kenny Green

Unread post by Keatgsr07 »

Are you being serious?

We should be fans of the Rams the way you'd be a fan of watching 10 year old's play community soccer? Seriously?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Running Ram wrote:I blocked sean once long ago, otherwise I like debate. And adam is fine, he does bring relevant points up from behind the Keaney Blue glasses.
rodfromcranston wrote:I've never blocked anyone.
gets accomplished.
It's all good.....
First off, thanks, I think? :)

Seriously, though, I know I have at some point been labeled as one of the posters around here that is fine with the status quo and wears the Keaney Blue glasses. That's fine, like Rod said none of its personal and I certainly don't take it that way. I also don't believe it's true, but that's ok to.

So to be perfectly clear, I am pretty pissed off with how things have gone this year. I do not think everything is great as it stands right now. Maybe I don't express it the way some others do. Actually I have been posting much less lately because I have been really frustrated with the teams performances so I have just backed away from the keyboard and tried to move on. Doesn't mean I am ok with it. And yes, I guess I do give a bit more leeway than some others at this point because of the injuries. If you look at some of the predictions I put out there I said 10-8 for conference record in the A10 prediction thread after non-conference play and 19-12 (11-7) in the early season prediction thread. So maybe it's not so much that I am fine with how things are going, and just more that things are kind of going how I expected them to. Up and down. Kind of an average team.

What does get me fired up, is when the same crap gets posted over and over again by some that has absolutely no basis in fact and is just used to fuel the outrage machine. Those are the posts I tend to reply to the most and I guess that's why I get the reputation I do because it comes off as me always defending the status quo when that's not necessarily my intent. Hell it took about two weeks before anybody finally put an end to the "Terrell doesn't focus on basketball anymore because he had kids" theory.

So there is my attempt at explaining myself without flying off the handle. Hope everybody has a great weekend. Let's beat the shit out of LaSalle tomorrow.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Keatgsr07 wrote:Are you being serious?

We should be fans of the Rams the way you'd be a fan of watching 10 year old's play community soccer? Seriously?
No. Hopefully, if you're watching 10 year old kids play soccer, they're YOUR kids, in which case you should care significantly more than you would about a Rams game.

The 30 for 30 special on Shawn Bradley is a good perspective-setting watch...
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Mental banishment. Nice.

adam914 wrote:Hell it took about two weeks before anybody finally put an end to the "Terrell doesn't focus on basketball anymore because he had kids" theory..
And we are all worse off for it! That was funny.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:
Running Ram wrote:I blocked sean once long ago, otherwise I like debate. And adam is fine, he does bring relevant points up from behind the Keaney Blue glasses.
gets accomplished.
It's all good.....

Seriously, though, I know I have at some point been labeled as one of the posters around here that is fine with the status quo and wears the Keaney Blue glasses. That's fine, like Rod said none of its personal and I certainly don't take it that way. I also don't believe it's true, but that's ok to.

So to be perfectly clear, I am pretty pissed off with how things have gone this year. I do not think everything is great as it stands right now. Maybe I don't express it the way some others do. Actually I have been posting much less lately because I have been really frustrated with the teams performances so I have just backed away from the keyboard and tried to move on. Doesn't mean I am ok with it. And yes, I guess I do give a bit more leeway than some others at this point because of the injuries. If you look at some of the predictions I put out there I said 10-8 for conference record in the A10 prediction thread after non-conference play and 19-12 (11-7) in the early season prediction thread. So maybe it's not so much that I am fine with how things are going, and just more that things are kind of going how I expected them to. Up and down. Kind of an average team.

What does get me fired up, is when the same crap gets posted over and over again by some that has absolutely no basis in fact and is just used to fuel the outrage machine. Those are the posts I tend to reply to the most and I guess that's why I get the reputation I do because it comes off as me always defending the status quo when that's not necessarily my intent. Hell it took about two weeks before anybody finally put an end to the "Terrell doesn't focus on basketball anymore because he had kids" theory.

So there is my attempt at explaining myself without flying off the handle. Hope everybody has a great weekend. Let's beat the shit out of LaSalle tomorrow.
Bud...you need to post more, not less. Cheers, and let's beat LaSalle and then shock everyone by having an even easier time of it against GW. :o
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

adam914 wrote:
gets accomplished.
It's all good.....

Two great posts from two great Ram fans.

While we all pretend to be experts based on our extensive game action observations it is really impossible IMHO to evaluate a basketball team without seeing them practice. That is where a basketball coach becomes confident in team skills and ability to take instruction. Champions are built on the practice court. I have never seen a Hurley practice. I did see practice sessions run by coach Penders and Harrick and let me tell you those 2 could flat out coach. Tough? Oh yeah big time. Those clubs hit the floor expecting to win.

On paper I still like this team. Time is running out tho and the last 2 losses were killer. It's a super fine line between winning close contests and losing them. I can only imagine how nice it will be when we cross over to the winning side of crunch time!

We are still so very close....
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

208, many here would disagree with you.
I've backed way off on posting, as have a few others.
It's not as if anything we write matters, in reality.
Think of me banging on doors in Manchester,
with snow and rain coming down, while we're beating Lasalle.
I'm pissed, because I'll miss the Pats game, too.
Oh well, some things are more important than sports,
and keeping a commitment matters.....

hrstat57, well said.
Those practices were eye openers.
It also gave us a feel of the players, and how they
interacted with the coaches and each other.
The players got to know our names and faces.
The staff would chirp with us in gaps in time.
Now we get one open practice a year.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Enjoy Manchester! After college, I lived in that area for a while and actually banged doors in the winter, selling insurance door-to-door. What a treat that was...between that and being a Sox fan, got a lot of practice handling disappointment ;-)

Keeping the commitment does matter...carry on!
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

EC isn't a star? Most people thought he was part of a handful of players up for the POY in the A10. Thats not a star?

Volume shooter?Scorer? Those have become words with negative connotations.

EC was a Sophomore stepping in for Xavier Munford. Munford was a star of a bad team. Munford got stiffed by the league.

I'm not sure how it can't be obvious now with Munford's ability to fill it up both in the A10/and post A10 that he was special. Equally special was EC scoring the way he did as the #2 because we haven't seen anyone in a Ram uniform since be able to carry that load.

Then EC stepped into the #1 role and despite whatever bad stuff was a part of his stat sheet–- he was still above and beyond everyone on the team. He is a star. He deserves respect. Critiques of his game are fine, but saying he isn't a star or thinking he isn't what he is blows my mind.

Munford/Matthews are clear and away the two best guys URI has had since DH. They both are big guards that give you something in all 3 parts of the game.

Honestly I have no clue what I am talking about. But I know that Munford was special and EC was and is special. EC doesn't deserve people lumping him in with the way this team plays. He plays above this team. HE played above what this team plays like when he was a freshman.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Did we keep the wrong Hurley? "This is a dead ass ballclub" Red Sox skipper Joe Morgan.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Sorry about blocking Adam, but his constant disparaging remarks about me put me over the edge.

You can disagree with me all you want, and some here do. That's fine. But those who call me a Negative Nancy, are themselves even MORE negative when they focus on another's poster's opinions, rather than what we should be talking about on this forum.

Not ripping each other is what I mean.

Talk about the team, the coach, the program, or any other subject you have an interest in.

I have a thick skin, but I have limits......

RR, Adam does contribute good points to this board, as do you and I and everyone really.

But I got sick and tired of being singled out and trashed. I'll reconsider at some point...
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Seawrightspostgame wrote:EC isn't a star? Most people thought he was part of a handful of players up for the POY in the A10. Thats not a star?

Volume shooter?Scorer? Those have become words with negative connotations.

EC was a Sophomore stepping in for Xavier Munford. Munford was a star of a bad team. Munford got stiffed by the league.

I'm not sure how it can't be obvious now with Munford's ability to fill it up both in the A10/and post A10 that he was special. Equally special was EC scoring the way he did as the #2 because we haven't seen anyone in a Ram uniform since be able to carry that load.

Then EC stepped into the #1 role and despite whatever bad stuff was a part of his stat sheet–- he was still above and beyond everyone on the team. He is a star. He deserves respect. Critiques of his game are fine, but saying he isn't a star or thinking he isn't what he is blows my mind.

Munford/Matthews are clear and away the two best guys URI has had since DH. They both are big guards that give you something in all 3 parts of the game.

Honestly I have no clue what I am talking about. But I know that Munford was special and EC was and is special. EC doesn't deserve people lumping him in with the way this team plays. He plays above this team. HE played above what this team plays like when he was a freshman.
I'm not sure if you're responding to me but I said EC didn't show that much improvement between his freshman and sophomore year. I'd agree he's definitely a star. With that said, out of our top 4 guys I think it would have hurt more to lose Hassan or Garrett. Replacing EC's scoring has obviously been difficult at times this season but due to our lack of big men and guys able to play the point I think Hassan and Garrett would have been bigger losses.

Also I think the problems run deeper than losing EC. If you're supposed to be a NCAA tournament team then losing one player should not be the difference between making the tournament and where we are now unless you lose a player like Dunn.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

josephski, you are right about your last statement.

We have been good enough, even without EC, to be in every game this season and even leading late into the 2nd half in most games. Except for Maryland of course.

There is something wrong when we lose just about EVERY close game, and lose every game against good teams.

The system is broken. It's on the coaching staff. You, I, and many others can see it.

Somebody said the late game management is atrocious. That's a good word to describe it.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

^ Upside is...seems like there's talent as several have acknowledged.
Here's to bringing it to together and making a run...
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

The Sean Bradley thing was interesting. We forget that basketball is not necessary everyone's highest priority, even at 7'6". Even here, Ofenye (sorry for the spelling), as best we can tell a great guy, moved on.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Cameron_Dollar wrote:Until Dan swallows his pride and hires a veteran coach to bring some in game stability, this program is going nowhere. I beleived it when he was hired and I believe it more so now.
Great, seeing that you've thought this for years, I'm sure you can produce a list of former head coaches who are somehow good enough to bring something to the table, yet not good enough to get another head coaching job, can't get an announcing gig and will be fine with what URI pays. I mean college basketball must be absolutely littered with this type of coach and you've been thinking this for years, so you should be able to provide at least 10-20 examples of coaches like this in the game this season alone.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

UCH21377 wrote:The Sean Bradley thing was interesting. We forget that basketball is not necessary everyone's highest priority, even at 7'6". Even here, Ofenye (sorry for the spelling), as best we can tell a great guy, moved on.
I thought it was, too. You don't always see it, but oftentimes the fans care more than the players...and that usually doesn't turn out good in the long run for anyone.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

theblueram wrote:Well, you all shit on me about calling Maryland a game we must win. Until we win a game of that caliber, nothing will change.
We shit on you because it was a stupid, idiotic opinion. It still is.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

IIRC, we recently had a tall guy who didn't care.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
theblueram wrote:Well, you all shit on me about calling Maryland a game we must win. Until we win a game of that caliber, nothing will change.
We shit on you because it was a stupid, idiotic opinion. It still is.
Uplifting conversation this.... :roll:
0 x