Game 17: @ St Bonaventure Wednesday Jan 13 @7pm

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: Game 17: @ St Bonaventure Wednesday Jan 13 @7pm

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Yeah, that'll make them want to play harder, right?
Does Dan realize this is college?
Did he like it when PJ Carlisimo did that to him at Seton Hall?
Sorry, he may feel that way towards his players,
but hanging them out in public is wrong.
I'm getting some really bad vibes from all of this.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

eli#10 wrote:Note to spar--Earl was not close to being in his face!

Fair enough, I was just pissed off he hit that shot. The gut punch I have become way too accustomed to with this program.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Well, didn't see anything too bad in the article, but the radio presser might've been different.. I do think it points to more Christion minutes and that's a good thing...hopefully gets them in good shape for Brooklyn.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Well, didn't see anything too bad in the article, but the radio presser might've been different.. I do think it points to more Christion minutes and that's a good thing...hopefully gets them in good shape for Brooklyn.
You didn't see all the jabs at Terrell in that article?
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Dan took the air out of the ball late in the 2nd half at St. Joe's too. The offense slows to a crawl, standing around, hero ball, no ball movement...leads to bad shots.

It's over coaching, being too conservative. Move the damn ball!!! Get screening!! Make the defense work!! Get a defensive rebound, sprint up court and get an easy bucket. Then make the other team work and have them take :25 off the shot clock.

If you're up 8 with 2 minutes to go, I get it...work the shot clock. Do the math. But in 1 to 2 possession games with 5-7:00 left? Why get conservative. I don't know why Dan cannot see this.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

PMMM, it's frustrating. He should see this by now. His players aren't good at it.

Instead, he's making excuses by trashing some of his players in public.

Baron started doing that at the end.......

Maybe Terrell and KI are deserving of criticism, but keep it in the locker room?

That's not cool. Like Rod said, this could fracture the team. Just what they need.

As for KI, I had a feeling this would happen. The guy doesn't seem like he's into it at times. Look at his history.

Terrell looks like he's got the same problem. Good luck Dan, you're going to need it.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Yeah, that'll make them want to play harder, right?
Does Dan realize this is college?
Did he like it when PJ Carlisimo did that to him at Seton Hall?
Sorry, he may feel that way towards his players,
but hanging them out in public is wrong.
I'm getting some really bad vibes from all of this.
Rod, I've been getting the bad vibes since late in last season. I feel like Dan does not have the real leadership skills to accept responsibility when things do not go well. He always offers explanations or excuses where none of the fault is ever his own. Dan is making the big bucks and he needs to learn to share praise and accept accountability without continually placing blame on his amateur players. It is his job to coach them up and if he had more to offer in that area the team would probably be playing better.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

This is bad vibes indeed. Does not bode well for the future.

Yes some players aren't performing, but the coach has to accept some responsibility for that.

It's his program. He's the one who is accountable.

And his coaching has hurt the team in several games this year.

Going to "stall ball" late has cost them the Nebraska, St.Joes, and now the Bonnies game.

I would guess some of his players might not be happy with this strategy, among other things.

And we're seeing the ugly results now.
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

860_rhody wrote:Terrell needs to seriously diversify his offensive game. He seems discouraged to go to the rim, but doesn't know how create his own shot and isn't a great 3PT shooter, so he just takes long contested 2 pointers. Looked out of it at the end of the game when they showed him at the end of the bench.
Terrell has the athleticism to break down a defense and needs to do that, draw in another defensive player and dish it like he did to Hass for the easy dunk more often. On two on ones please pass it...not just JT but some of the younger guys as well.
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:Dan took the air out of the ball late in the 2nd half at St. Joe's too. The offense slows to a crawl, standing around, hero ball, no ball movement...leads to bad shots.

It's over coaching, being too conservative. Move the damn ball!!! Get screening!! Make the defense work!! Get a defensive rebound, sprint up court and get an easy bucket. Then make the other team work and have them take :25 off the shot clock.

If you're up 8 with 2 minutes to go, I get it...work the shot clock. Do the math. But in 1 to 2 possession games with 5-7:00 left? Why get conservative. I don't know why Dan cannot see this.
Last year that would be the time for E.C. makes a play and increases the team confidence.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

4+ pages of everybody saying Terrell sucks and should be benched. Iverson doesn't show up or try hard. Thompson needs to play more.

Then Dan says "our highly touted guys didn't give us enough" and that Thompson needs an increased role maybe including as a starter, and now everybody is pissed about it?
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Micheal_Phelps_22
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Micheal_Phelps_22 »

I hate that my thought process going into the end of a game with this team is so negative, but they keep piling on more examples to support that way of thinking. Extremely frustrating night of basketball
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

There is little different here than what I have seen before when we have won. The ,major difference is that fans (particularly posters here) see the glass overflowing when we win and mostly empty when we lose. The talent on this team is being wasted and what is wasted becomes stale.

This team will become much better when we have offensive sets that will generate more good shots each game by the right players. This team wastes too much time early in each possession and then settles for JG driving to the hoop. Get into our offense sooner which means we need better movement early in each possession. When 4M, CT or NA get an early three they should take it. Move KI to the high post on occasion to get passes going inside to outside (we don't see any of this). JG needs to revert to a pass first point guard. JT needs to focus on being a lock-down defender. a mid-range shooter and help on the boards.. In transition prefer the open trey to the contested layup. HM and EW need to continue with their inside work.

If we add variety to our offense and take more good shots we will become a much more effective offensive basketball team. Right now, we are too easy to defend.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

section(105) wrote:I think the limo should return and deliver the old mascot back, while having a cremation of the current one on video from the parking lot....with proper fire permits in place of course....
HEAR HEAR

get rid of the cowardly lion
0 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

Woah there everybody... The game closes out our chances at an at large bid, which was unlikely anyway, not the end of the world. NIT is guaranteed, and I'll maintain that to the rest of the year, you can quote me on that. Time to aim for Top 4 in the A10 and go ham in Brooklyn.
0 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

And I'll be disappointed if we end up in the NIT, but there is no chance that we won't make it if we don't win the Brooklyn tournament.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote:4+ pages of everybody saying Terrell sucks and should be benched. Iverson doesn't show up or try hard. Thompson needs to play more.

Then Dan says "our highly touted guys didn't give us enough" and that Thompson needs an increased role maybe including as a starter, and now everybody is pissed about it?

The good news is that this is what I have been waiting for. Only question will be who he starts in place of. I had recommended Four off the Bench. Possible now he starts for Terrell. Either way Thompson needs to be starting.

“I was impressed by Christion Thompson out there, the way he played as a freshman in a pretty high-level, intense game,” Hurley said. “We’ve got to look at growing his role more potentially, maybe get him into the starting lineup if he’s going to play with more energy than our other starters.”
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

72 makes a lot of sense in that post.

When we lose our aggressiveness late in games , we lose.

Other teams' fans, players, and certainly their coaches can see it.

It's "Let's just stay close with Rhody until the last few minutes, and we'll win".

Dan is getting outcoached by the likes of Mark Schmidt, Les Miles, and Martelli. Who's next?

I'm reaching the point, where if we are in a close game with a few minutes left, the TV, computer, or radio is getting shut off.

I already know what will happen.

As for Dan's quote, he's right, but the focus should also be on the late game issues.

We have the talent to win these games. This is on Dan.

Stop turning turtle, and playing not to lose. Or we will.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Anyone out here piling on JT or any other player for that matter is being very ignorant of how this college basketball thing works, in my opinion. Of course we all know it all comes down to coaching in college. Give JT to Cooley and we'd be talking about Dunn, Bentil and Terrell possibly going to the final four. Trust when I say our guys have the gifts and they should be rising in their talent. I agree with those who are frustrated with the offensive slow downs, it's not producing, so why is it part of the game plan? But PLEASE stop blaming the players, these are players in development, it's college, it's up to the coaches to make it all go. And before any swabber goes there, I'm not talking about rolling balls out there and saying go score the ball however you like. I'm talking about building guys up, getting the best of their game and making it a part how we win, while still progressing in the area's of player development that need to be addressed. When you have talented players and still can't beat good teams in close games, you're being out-coached *PERIOD*
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

So, Adam, everyone is supposed to be like you and
think everything is just wonderful?
Step back from the Koolaide and open your eyes.

As for our play, I asked Dan on that "ask Dan" thing
why his team resets after every offensive rebound, instead of taking
advantage of the defense being out of position.
He said "clock, time of game,....." that there were too many variables
to really answer the question specifically.
Well, again last night, Hassan gets a rebound under the basket, with
his man the only one near him.
He kicks it out for a reset.
Why not go right back with the rebound and try to score?
Again, it's another item which leads to lack of aggressiveness
on offense.
BTW, mine was about the only basketball question.
All silly things about what candy he likes to eat, and NFL questions.
You get a chance to ask any coach questions, and that's
what fans come up with?
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

Running Ram wrote:Anyone out here piling on JT or any other player for that matter is being very ignorant of how this college basketball thing works, in my opinion. Of course we all know it all comes down to coaching in college. Give JT to Cooley and we'd be talking about Dunn, Bentil and Terrell possibly going to the final four. Trust when I say our guys have the gifts and they should be rising in their talent. I agree with those who are frustrated with the offensive slow downs, it's not producing, so why is it part of the game plan? But PLEASE stop blaming the players, these are players in development, it's college, it's up to the coaches to make it all go. And before any swabber goes there, I'm not talking about rolling balls out there and saying go score the ball however you like. I'm talking about building guys up, getting the best of their game and making it a part how we win, while still progressing in the area's of player development that need to be addressed. When you have talented players and still can't beat good teams in close games, you're being out-coached *PERIOD*
Exactly my thoughts. Sorry everyone, but these issues are a result of coaching.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The NIT is now looking more and more like a longshot.

Do we really care about that tournament anyway?

As for KI and Terrell. KI's issues do not surprise me at all, sad to say.

Terrell's is far more troubling. He played his butt off last season. Has he gotten so discouraged, that he's loafing?

This team has always prided itself on being close. Is that slipping away too?

RR, I understand. It's Dan job to get the best out of his players. He's not doing it. This team is talented enough to win these games. We're not playing Duke here.

We have a coaching issue, period. The conservative play late, is costing us games.

Did we get the wrong Hurley? If that's heresy, so be it. It had to be said.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

Running Ram wrote:Anyone out here piling on JT or any other player for that matter is being very ignorant of how this college basketball thing works, in my opinion. Of course we all know it all comes down to coaching in college. Give JT to Cooley and we'd be talking about Dunn, Bentil and Terrell possibly going to the final four. Trust when I say our guys have the gifts and they should be rising in their talent. I agree with those who are frustrated with the offensive slow downs, it's not producing, so why is it part of the game plan? But PLEASE stop blaming the players, these are players in development, it's college, it's up to the coaches to make it all go. And before any swabber goes there, I'm not talking about rolling balls out there and saying go score the ball however you like. I'm talking about building guys up, getting the best of their game and making it a part how we win, while still progressing in the area's of player development that need to be addressed. When you have talented players and still can't beat good teams in close games, you're being out-coached *PERIOD*
I disagree with the sediment the D1 college athletes should be immune to criticism when they don't play well or have holes in their game, it's observation. Personal attacks are not ok, but their play on the court is fair game. As a student athlete, you need to take the good with the bad. If Four loses his man of defense, I can't comment on it? But, if he's on fire and wins the Brown game for us, that's ok for us to post?

Although, a coach shouldn't publically throw a player under the bus in college, ever....
Last edited by Sweep The Leg 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It seems to be an "effort" issue.

That should be addressed in the locker room. Not in the media.

Dan should be saying he needs to coach better. It is, after all, his team and program.

Does this team have a leader like TJ was last season?

Doesn't seem like it.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

As fans its only natural to feel the way we do about this team and as humans its only natural to unleash our thoughts on this here board. That said, WHAT THE HELL! is going on. Would switching up the rotation work? I was at the Celtics game so at least I saw a win but changing the lineups couldn't hurt right?
0 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

What I want to see is a change in late game strategy.

Screw the slowdown bullshit.

Stay aggressive until the end. Make the opponent have to play desperate defense, not us.

We have the players to do that.

Other coaches around the A10 know what's coming when they play us. It's way too predictable.

Until we see this change, we will keep losing close games, especially to teams that can make shots at the end of games.

I doubt Bobby did this at Buffalo. Yes he lost some tough ones, but at least they went down swinging.

And in his conference tournament, they raised their game and WON the close games against the top of his league.

They didn't do it by standing around on offense, and letting the opponent take over games late.

Dan could learn from his brother. They talk all the time, but maybe that message isn't getting through.
0 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

Rhody15 wrote:
URI2006_Andy wrote:Last five minutes of a game, it's possible we could stink trying to speed the game up. But we know we stink slowing it down. Try something new before Brooklyn.

Iverson sets 25 screens a game. Of course he's going to get called for 1 or 2 moving screens.

Terrell's value is on defense. I have no problem with him being a no show on offense. But I bet he'd score in the right transition game.

The one positive is the team cam back with confidence after getting down 9-0 and played with confidence until the last few minutes.
You're ok with one starting shooting guard, a top 60 recruit, scoring ZERO points????

Please tell me you're joking.
See Running Ram post. I'm not going to blame the guy for not scoring. He's in an offensive system that doesn't match his skill set.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I too am beginning to get a bad feeling.

Hurley's tenure is starting to mirror Baron's time here. Good enough to be close but never getting over the hump. Beat the dregs but usually lose to the better teams when the spotlight was brighter and the pressure more. I am reminded of comments from an opposing A-10 coach about Baron teams - they will fold down the stretch because they are too tight.

Hurley's demeanor and emotions have an effect on his players. His first mistake this season in my opinion was how he handled EC's injury. He like all of us was rightly crushed. His public show of this was however the wrong message to send. He needed to take the Belichick approach and state that injuries are a part of the game and every player will need to step up. He needed to keep his personal emotions in check and project strength and confidence that this setback would be overcome. He didn't. Everyone could easily see he was crestfallen. I think a lot of the late game play also comes down to his hyper demeanor on the sideline. The players sense it and tighten up. Dan Hurley needs to look in the mirror and ask what he can do better. Few would argue he can't recruit or doesn't know the X's and O's of coaching given his pedigree and career. He however often lets his psyche and emotions take over and this may well be spilling over onto his players and gameplan. They play well enough to be in most games yet fade in the waning minutes when the pressure is highest. Sports psychology is a part of coaching and Dan may be deficient in this area. Something is wrong and he needs to address it or it will continue to repeat itself. He along with his players make up a team. They win and lose together.
Last edited by RF1 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

URI2006_Andy wrote:
Rhody15 wrote:
URI2006_Andy wrote:Last five minutes of a game, it's possible we could stink trying to speed the game up. But we know we stink slowing it down. Try something new before Brooklyn.

Iverson sets 25 screens a game. Of course he's going to get called for 1 or 2 moving screens.

Terrell's value is on defense. I have no problem with him being a no show on offense. But I bet he'd score in the right transition game.

The one positive is the team cam back with confidence after getting down 9-0 and played with confidence until the last few minutes.
You're ok with one starting shooting guard, a top 60 recruit, scoring ZERO points????

Please tell me you're joking.
See Running Ram post. I'm not going to blame the guy for not scoring. He's in an offensive system that doesn't match his skill set.
Exactly, implement an offensive system that highlights players who can't shoot and are average, at best, at finishing around the basket.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

I had a bad feeling three years ago watching X muddle through the end game scenarios. At that time (and over the years) I have taken a lot of heat for saying it was a mistake to just assume Hurley was good at that particular coaching skill. It's what separates the mediocre from the good and the good from the great. To be fair, I did acknowledge that he was only a D-1 coach for two years and that he could just move up the learning curve. He works his ass off and there is nothing that says you can't improve in life. But, man, I do think that there was a little hubris in not replacing Bobby with a guy who has been through big time basketball wars. Skinner was at Emerson for two years. Now, he is at Kennesaw State. He would have been gold here. It didn't even have to be him. Or a big money hire which probably wouldn't fit in the budget. Just someone who would not be afraid get in his ear in a big moment and offer a different way.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Agree 100% RF1.
I look at Ed Cooley. So many things have gone wrong
during his tenure at PC.
What does he do? He retools what he has, moves forward
and WINS.
Didn't use losing Dunn a few years ago as an excuse. Didn't wring his hands in despair.
Turned Bryce Cotton into Kemba Walker and made the NCAAs.
Last year, lost his shooting guard, who transferred.
Still made the NCAAs.
Lost a top 50 big man, and much size from last year,
and Bentil becomes one of the best PFs in college basketball.
Bullock, out for two years, becomes a force.
Players develop year to year.
This year was supposed to be Dunn and four nobodies.
Many here thought we'd blow them out. I know, we lost EC......
So, they were ranked as high as 8th in the nation.
The guy gets results, regardless of whatever obstacles happen.
I have to admit, I'm jealous of their program, and the strides they've
made after firing Keno Davis.
I always felt Dan would have done what Cooley had done, only a year behind.
Hasn't happened. Will it ever?
Last edited by rodfromcranston 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RF1, it's beginning to look that way, isn't it?

Hurley must be getting that same rep around the league. Not just his sideline demeanor.

The team is a reflection of it's coach. And coaching is everything in college.

We'll know soon enough what Dan's ceiling is here, by next season most likely.

And I too, don't have a good feeling about it.

Rod, it's a terrible feeling to have. Heck, at Fairfield, Cooley's rep is that he could win games, but not the ones that count.

Other than the NCAA losses, he's completely changed that perception. At least he got them there.

Where are we going?

GBG, you were right. Many assumed because his name is Hurley, he would be the golden ticket.

Hasn't worked out that way.
Last edited by rambone 78 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......take the Hurley name away from the previous track record of a coach from Wagner.....would we have hired that.....?? I doubt it.....ouch.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Emotion can be a key component for a winning team. I however think more of this emotion needs to be of the positive type. Dan's emotion seems weighted more toward the negative. He goes ballistic when he doesn't like the officiating. He jumps on a player when they don't do what they are supposed to. Perhaps he should alter what brings out his emotion and channel it differently. A change might have a better effect. Right now he just seems to be pissing off a lot of officials and opposing fans and causing his players to tighten up.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

People jumping on Dan because he is saying what people should be thinking. Same people that had an issue with Baron's boiler plate comments. Cant please you guys.

For me, Dan is being honest and saying what I am thinking. I have felt like Terrell has always had an attitude that he only needed to show up and his physique would carry the day. I love defense. I love muscle. But there is a fine line between letting the game come to you and basically checking out on offense. His offense is lazy. He doesn't put much thought into it. Jacking up deep contested 3's or going to the basket without jumping is plain lazy.

Jared has said that he didn't know URI existed before he came here. Kuran's lone statement this offseason pointed out that he was aware people thought he should be playing at a more prestigious program than URI because of his pedigree. Well, these guys are inconsistent because they have been exposed. They can't just show up and win against Brown, let alone A10 teams that are actually hungry.

Blows my mind that Iverson hasn't put together 40 minutes. OR Terrell, if these guys actually were ambitious basketball players they would relish every opportunity to show that they deserve respect. That they deserve accolades and post college careers.

But they had this game! That game! They looked great! I agree. But, when you're potentially a #1 player in your high school class and highly touted like Iverson you dominate most teams. When you're resume is like Jared Terrell's you dominate most teams. IF you don't dominate you still compete on a level that is very high. These guys aren't doing that.

They are what their record says they are. They are what their stats say they are.

Sure Jarvis pounded the ball into the ground the last 3 minutes but it wasn't like anyone else wanted the ball.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

First off, in Dan's own words,
Terrell is the hardest worker he has.
Told me no matter what he threw at Terrell, he always
bounced back. Said he was unbreakable in his fierce attitude.
Iverson's problem isn't attitude, either.
Dan said this is really his first year of college ball, after taking
two years off.
I saw the incredibly talented Lamar Odom, with his great coach,
take until mid February to get his game together on the court.
He was the number one player in his high school-prep class.
Sorry, I don't put it all on the players.
The coaches are the professionals and get paid to make the players
better.
Talent evaluation before taking players into the program also falls
on the coaches.
We all want Dan to succeed. None of this is remotely personal.
I like the guy.
It's just that the results have not been equal to the expectations.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Yes, this is tough crowd to please......the drought here has been long and seems to continue......the frustration builds and spills over we get close to sniffing at and sustaining an elevated program.....as fans/emotional investors, we start looking for reasons why......part of the on-going/new process....why not us?
Last edited by section(105) 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

section(105) wrote:Yes, this is tough crowd to please......the drought here has been long and seems to continue......the frustration builds and spills over we get close to sniffing at and sustaining an elevated program.....as fans we start looking for reasons why......part of the on-going/new process....why not us?
10-7 is not like Kentucky complaining about 15-2 or something like that. It's not being a tough crowd. Four years is a long time to construct a roster. EC was a big loss but, given the roster, I didn't figure it would lead to this. And Rod is right, URI is leading these games in the 2nd half. I would love to know what DH's record is when the line of the game is anywhere from -4 to +4. Those are the points where coaches make a difference. If you lose your best player AND you start minus 3,4,5 points to the other coach, well, that's a problem. I could coach a D1 team to a 20 point win.
0 x
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

Agree with the above. I get that DH is trying to fire them up with his comments but I'm not sure that'll work in college. I always seem to think back to an interview before JT's freshman year, where he refers to DH as a "father figure". Something about that makes me cringe, whenever I hear DH call him out publicly. Would a father really publicly shame his son in front of everyone? I don't know, just don't see why trying to make him look bad would help anything. Either way, I don't think JT is the kind of guy who takes criticism all that well.

I remember the Nebraska game last year, and how well he guarded and all the shots he hit in OT. He looked like a stud. Now he looks lost and just not there mentally. That swagger he had his freshman year seems to have vanished. Sidenote: needs to stop that weird spin move in the key. Never gets him anywhere.

Plus, why does DH need to criticize players like that publicly? Why can't he just talk to his players in private? If we were a P5 school, I would imagine he would be slammed by the media; actually, he probably wouldn't even try this nonsense.

Anyway, here's to hoping JT can find himself again. He's way better than what he's shown the past week or so.
GO RHODY
0 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

Even if JT and KI played great games that doesn't address the big problem which is the fact that we tighten up late. Maybe we would've won by 8 or 10 yesterday had KI and JT played at a high level and that's on them. But it's on DH to try a new strategy late in games. Whether that means speeding up the tempo so the kids don't have time to freeze up or whatever, finding a solution is on DH.

If we don't find a solution, we're not going anywhere this year or next year because you have to win at least some close games.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rodfromcranston wrote:So, Adam, everyone is supposed to be like you and
think everything is just wonderful?
Step back from the Koolaide and open your eyes.
Not sure where you get the idea that I think everything is wonderful.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

If slowing the game down on offense worked for us, we would do it for the whole game. But slowing the offense down doesn't work, ever, so why do it when it matters most? Stick with the up-tempo aggression.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Joe wrote:If slowing the game down on offense worked for us, we would do it for the whole game. But slowing the offense down doesn't work, ever, so why do it when it matters most? Stick with the up-tempo aggression.
There are 351 D1 teams, URI's average length of possession is #344. They play the entire game slowly. As the team improved over three years, it looks like DH slowly let them go a bit but crashing down to earth this year. I think one of his main issues is trusting these guys. With a pretty good PG, he should be able to let them open it up a bit but it's like needs to orchestrate every single possession.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I don't think they're bad kids or are classic attitude problem types. I think they over estimate their own worth and it likely contributes to their inconsistency.

I DO think Iverson gets a pass for rust. His fouling too is phantom for me.

It's Terrell that bothers me. Either you think his flashes of offense are in spite of what Dan Hurley is doing if DHis getting it wrong. OR you think it's on JT.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Ashcat
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Ashcat »

Anyone who believes that Coach Hurley will change his sideline demeanor during their lifetime is dreaming. Nothing better than watching our point guards being more interested in receiving sideline input practically every time we inbound verses getting his own head into the flow of the game.

Last nights’ coaching performance wasn’t even close to my all-time favorite in last years’ NIT game against eventual NIT Champs, Stanford. The ESPNU guys spent the last six minutes, almost exclusively analyzing the foibles of our coach.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

BTW, what was with Cox sticking in random commercials
during the play?
Very annoying.
Also, those announcers were horrid. How about telling viewers who
the foul was on, or how many anyone had.
I had to go to ESPN's running box score to find out who was
in foul trouble.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Rod the live stats I link to via gorhody.com are very good
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

rodfromcranston wrote:BTW, what was with Cox sticking in random commercials
during the play?
Very annoying.
Also, those announcers were horrid. How about telling viewers who
the foul was on, or how many anyone had.
I had to go to ESPN's running box score to find out who was
in foul trouble.
But at least you know who is on the Channel 10 I-Team and that Emily Volz is trying to keep the crooks out of your wallet.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

rodfromcranston wrote:My take.
I don't find much to laugh about, when
we don't score for the last 3:39!
I won't even go into the individual players tonight.
These guys play so tight at the end of games,
you couldn't put a greased BB up their ass.
I think guys constantly hearing Dan's bellowing and hyper-coaching,
that they don't play with any freedom or confidence.
Good teams win close games.
Good teams win on the road.
We are not a good team. Period.
Let's stop the bullshit about NCAAs or even NITs.
Not happening.
This could be a long, lost season.
We're like the Sox being eliminated in July, and
chirping about next year.
I've had enough of next year talk.
Next year isn't going to make anyone more clutch, more poised
when needed or better shooters.
There will be more bodies, and the same inefficient offense.
Enough of the same old same old.
Sadly enough, the more things seem to change, the more in fact,
they have remained the same.
Rod I couldn't agree more. Last night was just awful. We have too many guys who disappear at the end of games. Horrible possessions at the end of the game. That is coaching.
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodymob05 wrote:As fans its only natural to feel the way we do about this team and as humans its only natural to unleash our thoughts on this here board. That said, WHAT THE HELL! is going on. Would switching up the rotation work? I was at the Celtics game so at least I saw a win but changing the lineups couldn't hurt right?
Right
0 x