Game 17: @ St Bonaventure Wednesday Jan 13 @7pm

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Re: Game 17: @ St Bonaventure Wednesday Jan 13 @7pm

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

RI_Bred wrote:9-0 run by Bonaventure to end the game.
And 9-0 to start

18 point hole on the road in a pit

Losing formula right there

How about that?
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Joe wrote:Actually I don't really mean that... its just he does nothing on offense... consistently...
Yet...all of the "next year" folks...are counting on him as "depth".... :lol:
No one knows anything about "next years' depth" right now, and it means absolutely nothing until next year's season starts.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

eli#10 wrote:The blocking call against KI was horrendus and it cost us a 3 pointer made by 4. KI was the guy who got knocked down.

Earl cannot guard anyone outside of 8-10 feet from the hoop. Crucial 3 pointer his guy got with 2 seconds on shot clock.

Why does Hass try to position himself on the left side of the basket down low? As a lefty he should be on the other side which means an easier shot.

Hurley slows the offense down at the 3 minute mark when we are up 2 and we wind up with a shot clock violation. Run your effin offense as it is way too early to try and use up time when only up 2.

All I could think if after the shot clock violation out of the timeout was... Eli and the Giants getting a delay of game penalty out of a timeout. It can only happen to YOUR team....

WTF is up with JT?????????????
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Rhody15 wrote:Jared Terrell, take a hike.

Can Oklahoma State take him back??
This is ridiculous! Talk about over-reactions. He's having a bad stretch, but coaches need to help him figure it out, he clearly has talent and is gifted with athleticism and unless something has changed recently he has a good attitude and ethic. He's exactly the kind of guy I'd say I wish we had him, but of course, we do, so lets get the best out of him coaches.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

Terrell needs to seriously diversify his offensive game. He seems discouraged to go to the rim, but doesn't know how create his own shot and isn't a great 3PT shooter, so he just takes long contested 2 pointers. Looked out of it at the end of the game when they showed him at the end of the bench.
Last edited by 860_rhody 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Well, you all shit on me about calling Maryland a game we must win. Until we win a game of that caliber, nothing will change.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......at home games, come sit in my seats; and see the good, bad, and.....the heads and eyes of most players turning to coach after each misstep.....OK, I am piling on now but....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

"We're not bad, we're just not good enough."

Best way to describe this team.
0 x
Go Rhody
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

So f*cking annoying how we can NEVER close out a close and meaningful game, EVER!! And yes, it does feel like this has been going on for 15 years now. I don't blame Garrett one bit. Without him, we're not even in the position at the end to win. The offense flows best when he's driving the lane, whether it's him being able to finish in the key, make a nice pass to one of the big men or kick it out to someone for a spot up jumper or to get the ball moving around the perimeter. Does he maybe tense up a bit at the very end? Possibly, I don't know. But when it seems you're shouldering the offense to a point where it goes dark if you're not touching the ball on every single possession (alternatives being JT bricking a layup off an out of control drive or Four shanking another floater), that can eventually take its toll on you and mistakes or forces will happen at times. Unfortunately for him, it happened right at the end tonight. How about getting upset at Iverson with his consistently stupid fouls every game that never allow him to get in a good game flow and give us the minutes we need from him, especially in these last two games. It also doesn't help when the opponent shanks you with these shots at the end, the 2 three's against Joe's and the pull up three tonight with the clock winding down and Earl in his face. But hey, I guess that's what good teams do when they rise to the occasion and don't fold up like a cheap suit when it matters most.

Forever frustrated...
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote:......at home games, come sit in my seats; and see the good, bad, and.....the heads and eyes of most players turning to coach after each misstep.....OK, I am piling on now but....
I agree with that...but, it's not just after missteps...it's also in the middle of possible fast breaks...
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody15 wrote:"We're not bad, we're just not good enough."

It is beginning to feel too much like Jim Baron's tenure.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Maybe our tournament hopes aren't dead after all. Steve Harvey just announced that we're in.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

theblueram wrote:
Sweep The Leg wrote:
theblueram wrote:There are only 36 at large bids. You figure out who you need to beat to get one.
You have to be the 50th best team in the country to get in. 68 teams minus the 18 minus shit auto-bid teams who get in (seeded 13-16 plus the 16 play-in games). We aren't even close. Some of those shit 13-14 seeds could probably beat us on a neutral court right now.
I would even argue against the 50th best team. Because of the unexpected conference tournament upsets by a team not getting an at large. I think you need to be Top 30. And to be that, you better be beating some really great National teams.
I was thinking an at-large being no less the 12th seed with the play-in games, but I agree. In theory, conference championship upsets make this even more difficult.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

860_rhody wrote:Terrell needs to seriously diversify his offensive game. He seems discouraged to go to the rim, but doesn't know how to size anyone up and isn't a great 3PT shooter, so he just takes long contested 2 pointers.
And his mid range jumpers are low percent, unless his shot chart shows me wrong...I would say this year, he has not much scoring capability, he started last year out of necessity....a nice game here and there....sure....nothing sustainable except for defense....but can we afford that with little offensnse....OK stat geeks, show us differently....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
URIFIJI
Kenny Green

Unread post by URIFIJI »

Bottom line from a guy who has worn rose colored glasses for 30 years. This year has taken its toll more than others because of the talent and expectations this year promised. We can't close a door let alone a game. We were up the entire second half on the road in a great position and we fold like a cheap suit. It's hard to keep attending every game when this is the end result. Haven't missed many games in 25+ years. This sucks donkey d!ck
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Who cares if we have 15 players, if none of them can produce late in games?

Good point made earlier:

Why the fuck does Dan slow the offense down with 3 minutes left with a lead, when the more uptempo style was working?

Naturally, as soon as he does that we completely fall apart!

Somebody needs to ask him that at the coaches shows.

Slow it down in a last shot scenario. Or if we are way ahead with a couple minutes to go, and draw fouls.

This team has ZERO confidence in close games. You can see it.

Dan needs to know his team's tendencies better. He should know by now they don't perform well trying to slow it down protecting a lead.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Couldn't have played worse down the stretch.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

860_rhody wrote:Terrell needs to seriously diversify his offensive game. He seems discouraged to go to the rim, but doesn't know how create his own shot and isn't a great 3PT shooter, so he just takes long contested 2 pointers. Looked out of it at the end of the game when they showed him at the end of the bench.
This is comical because it is true. I don't understand him anymore. His Ceiling is like strength and conditioning coach or something. I don't understand why the game is so hard for him.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

rambone 78 wrote:Who cares if we have 15 players, if none of them can produce late in games?

Good point made earlier:

Why the fuck does Dan slow the offense down with 3 minutes left with a lead, when the more uptempo style was working?

Naturally, as soon as he does that we completely fall apart!

Somebody needs to ask him that at the coaches shows.

Slow it down in a last shot scenario. Or if we are way ahead with a couple minutes to go, and draw fouls.

This team has ZERO confidence in close games. You can see it.

Dan needs to know his team's tendencies better. He should know by now they don't perform well trying to slow it down protecting a lead.
Dan slows down the game at the end because he is too defensive minded. He thinks the defense will hold a 2 point lead for 3:00 even if we don't score another point. If you can run down the :30 and make 4 defensive stops, they'll win.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote:
860_rhody wrote:Terrell needs to seriously diversify his offensive game. He seems discouraged to go to the rim, but doesn't know how to size anyone up and isn't a great 3PT shooter, so he just takes long contested 2 pointers.
And his mid range jumpers are low percent, unless his shot chart shows me wrong...I would say this year, he has not much scoring capability, he started last year out of necessity....a nice game here and there....sure....nothing sustainable except for defense....but can we afford that with little offensnse....OK stat geeks, show us differently....
Can't
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Who's the guy who said he won't get excited until the postseason tourney?

Who thinks we'll beat anyone good, much less probably needing to win 4 games to Dance?

Dan says we'll be better come March. At what? Losing? That late season stretch will finish us off, if we're not already toast by then.

Doesn't matter how good they are for 35 minutes of a game. It's the last 5 or so minutes that they are absolutely horrible at.

Sweep, if he really thinks that, then we are screwed. The way we "finish" games, almost no lead is safe.

Even the defense gives up open shots late. And our opponents never seem to miss them.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

There is a component to sports where the pressure of having to score with another team hurts the confidence of teams. We don't put that pressure on teams. We feel that pressure from teams.

It gets to the point where its like "OMG how will we score ever again?!!?"

I don't think thats hyperbole because the team plays like that. I wonder how many times this year with less than 7 minutes to go this team has shot the ball with less than 5 seconds on the clock or the clock ran out.

Its like take a F*#%*#%* shot!
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Unfortunately I have to say this really does fall on Hurley. We continue to lose to teams that I strongly feel we have more talent then. We are flat out getting out coached. Our talent is not being properly used. We are not making adjustments defensively (no zone when we are in foul trouble) and continue to struggle to run good offensive sets. I am so discouraged at this point. We don't know how to play D without fouling either. Same thing every game with Iverson and Terell. Rediculous!
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

spar wrote:So f*cking annoying how we can NEVER close out a close and meaningful game, EVER!! And yes, it does feel like this has been going on for 15 years now. I don't blame Garrett one bit. Without him, we're not even in the position at the end to win. The offense flows best when he's driving the lane, whether it's him being able to finish in the key, make a nice pass to one of the big men or kick it out to someone for a spot up jumper or to get the ball moving around the perimeter. Does he maybe tense up a bit at the very end? Possibly, I don't know. But when it seems you're shouldering the offense to a point where it goes dark if you're not touching the ball on every single possession (alternatives being JT bricking a layup off an out of control drive or Four shanking another floater), that can eventually take its toll on you and mistakes or forces will happen at times. Unfortunately for him, it happened right at the end tonight. How about getting upset at Iverson with his consistently stupid fouls every game that never allow him to get in a good game flow and give us the minutes we need from him, especially in these last two games. It also doesn't help when the opponent shanks you with these shots at the end, the 2 three's against Joe's and the pull up three tonight with the clock winding down and Earl in his face. But hey, I guess that's what good teams do when they rise to the occasion and don't fold up like a cheap suit when it matters most.

Forever frustrated...
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

My take.
I don't find much to laugh about, when
we don't score for the last 3:39!
I won't even go into the individual players tonight.
These guys play so tight at the end of games,
you couldn't put a greased BB up their ass.
I think guys constantly hearing Dan's bellowing and hyper-coaching,
that they don't play with any freedom or confidence.
Good teams win close games.
Good teams win on the road.
We are not a good team. Period.
Let's stop the bullshit about NCAAs or even NITs.
Not happening.
This could be a long, lost season.
We're like the Sox being eliminated in July, and
chirping about next year.
I've had enough of next year talk.
Next year isn't going to make anyone more clutch, more poised
when needed or better shooters.
There will be more bodies, and the same inefficient offense.
Enough of the same old same old.
Sadly enough, the more things seem to change, the more in fact,
they have remained the same.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Keatgsr07
Kenny Green

Unread post by Keatgsr07 »

Rod, SO depressing, sadly true.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Note to spar--Earl was not close to being in his face!
0 x
Stop! Rammer Time
Kenny Green

Unread post by Stop! Rammer Time »

Rhody15 wrote:"We're not bad, we're just not good enough."

I feel like we are good enough and that's what's frustrating. 6 out of our 7 losses (with Maryland being the exception) we were either right there or leading in the last 5 minutes and couldn't pull it out. What is it that will turn these close (fold like a cheap tent) losses into wins? Even if we won 3 out of those 6 close losses, our season would look radically different right now.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

rambone 78 wrote:Who's the guy who said he won't get excited until the postseason tourney?

Who thinks we'll beat anyone good, much less probably needing to win 4 games to Dance?

Dan says we'll be better come March. At what? Losing? That late season stretch will finish us off, if we're not already toast by then.

Doesn't matter how good they are for 35 minutes of a game. It's the last 5 or so minutes that they are absolutely horrible at.

Sweep, if he really thinks that, then we are screwed. The way we "finish" games, almost no lead is safe.

Even the defense gives up open shots late. And our opponents never seem to miss them.
It's becoming a trend, Richmond (although we had a big lead), St. Joe's and now the Bonnies. He's trying to shorten the game instead of putting pressure on the other team to stop us. Their defense can rest on defense while Garrett dribbles for :23 seconds or watch the 3 man weave 23ft away from the hoop and then use that stored energy on offense against us. There is no good defense with Four on the floor.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

We are at 3 pages into a pretty significant board melt down, I would say....Explorers at home is not a gimme....and the beat goes on....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Sweep, that's EXACTLY what he's doing.

And this team is NOT suited for that. Like was said, take the first open shot. They were making them!

I tend to think it's more on Dan, than the players.

It's the coach that tells them to run the stupid weave, when it never works in crunch time.

Why does he think it will work this time?

Dan has got a lot to learn still.

He's wasting their talent, and killing their confidence. They know what's coming, and they tighten up.

Hassan dominating? Not if he doesn't see the ball.

This team and coach are beating themselves. And that makes it just that more frustrating! It's not that we are out talented physically.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

theblueram wrote:Well, you all shit on me about calling Maryland a game we must win. Until we win a game of that caliber, nothing will change.
True if we were 16-1 with a loss to Maryland we'd be in bg trouble.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Glad I'll be in New Hampshire Saturday.
As I've said many times...if you have enough talent to lead late into
the second half, then you have the talent to
finish the game.
So, why do we gag every close game except Iona (without three
of their players) and mediocre Brown?
I watched the game with my daughter and said,
"Let's see how we lose this one at the end."
Like countless other times, they didn't prove me wrong.
I never expect us to win close games, especially
on the road.
Sure, we had our usual foul discrepancy.
Yes, there were a few egregious calls.
Still, we had the lead late in the second half,
despite this.
Even playing even the rest of the way gets you a win.
Meltdown on the board?
Sorry Koolaide drinkers, but this is totally justified.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:
theblueram wrote:Well, you all shit on me about calling Maryland a game we must win. Until we win a game of that caliber, nothing will change.
True if we were 16-1 with a loss to Maryland we'd be in bg trouble.
LOL! Perfect! Yep, if only they had beat MD, everything would be okay in Rhody-land... :lol: I'm thinking 16-1 with only loss to MD would be top 20. This team, contrary to Keaney Blue board (of doom) opinion, doesn't suck. They are just as good as any other A-10 team... Enjoy the full year fans...it's a long way from over.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.....he, coach, can't be the sixth player on the court against the other five....Rod's term of hyper coaching and controlling each position on both ends is starting to wear me out....did I ever think with or w/o EC we would struggling with facing these results in year four....?......no.....his DNA seems to be perfection via controlling....I gotta stop....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

Last five minutes of a game, it's possible we could stink trying to speed the game up. But we know we stink slowing it down. Try something new before Brooklyn.

Iverson sets 25 screens a game. Of course he's going to get called for 1 or 2 moving screens.

Terrell's value is on defense. I have no problem with him being a no show on offense. But I bet he'd score in the right transition game.

The one positive is the team cam back with confidence after getting down 9-0 and played with confidence until the last few minutes.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:Glad I'll be in New Hampshire Saturday.
As I've said many times...if you have enough talent to lead late into
the second half, then you have the talent to
finish the game.
So, why do we gag every close game except Iona (without three
of their players) and mediocre Brown?
I watched the game with my daughter and said,
"Let's see how we lose this one at the end."
Like countless other times, they didn't prove me wrong.
I never expect us to win close games, especially
on the road.
Sure, we had our usual foul discrepancy.
Yes, there were a few egregious calls.
Still, we had the lead late in the second half,
despite this.
Even playing even the rest of the way gets you a win.
Meltdown on the board?
Sorry Koolaide drinkers, but this is totally justified.
I went to UNH and that was an awesome time, hope you enjoy yours there, too! I don't know what's wrong with this team on the road...maybe we need to road trip some of these games together to find out, but there is a whole lotta this season left...and Brooklyn is season 2. ;)
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

208, they are as good as any team in the A10.

For the first 35 or so minutes.

For the last 5, we just might be the WORST team in the A10. Rod is exactly right.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

rambone 78 wrote:Sweep, that's EXACTLY what he's doing.

And this team is NOT suited for that. Like was said, take the first open shot. They were making them!

I tend to think it's more on Dan, than the players.

It's the coach that tells them to run the stupid weave, when it never works in crunch time.

Why does he think it will work this time?

Dan has got a lot to learn still.

He's wasting their talent, and killing their confidence. They know what's coming, and they tighten up.

Hassan dominating? Not if he doesn't see the ball.

This team and coach are beating themselves. And that makes it just that more frustrating! It's not that we are out talented physically.
It's more coaching, the spacing on the floor and the offensive sets are awful. Teams are doubling Hassan inside when he rarely gets the ball on the block, so why not have Four in the corner and either CT or JG shading to left of the 3 point elbow on the same side? If they double Hassan, one of them should have an open look with one or two crisp passes. If they don't, go into the key and drain that lefty hook over the defender. There never seems to be open man even during a double team, there has to be an open spot or lane to move to.

But, Four does nothing to get open. He stands there waiting for something to happen and when he does use a screen, he takes the wrong angle which leads to an easy close out or offensive illegal screen foul. This kid may be a dead eye from the 3 point line and free throws, but he does nothing else well, even the little things. Probably a great non-layup HORSE player though.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Final questions--what ever happened to our ability to run a fast break? I think we had one fast break hoop when Four made a lay up.

Can we also try to get the ball to KI down low once in a while? With his ability to put the ball on the floor I would like to see him isolated once in a while. Who was going to guard him tonight????????
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Can we change our mascot to a Ram choking on grass, seeds or whatever they eat?
0 x
'No Mercy.'
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

What's a fast break?
I wonder what a young Tom "Turn em loose" Penders
could do with these athletes on this team.
Kids love to run and gun. Playing on instinct and not worrying about
making mistakes.
208, been to NH countless times. Nice place. Good roads, too.
I'll be in Manchester with the RI Marco Rubio contingent helping
out for the upcoming primary.
They predict snow up there.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

URI2006_Andy wrote:Last five minutes of a game, it's possible we could stink trying to speed the game up. But we know we stink slowing it down. Try something new before Brooklyn.

Iverson sets 25 screens a game. Of course he's going to get called for 1 or 2 moving screens.

Terrell's value is on defense. I have no problem with him being a no show on offense. But I bet he'd score in the right transition game.

The one positive is the team cam back with confidence after getting down 9-0 and played with confidence until the last few minutes.
You're ok with one starting shooting guard, a top 60 recruit, scoring ZERO points????

Please tell me you're joking.
0 x
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

I think the limo should return and deliver the old mascot back, while having a cremation of the current one on video from the parking lot....with proper fire permits in place of course....
Last edited by section(105) 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote:
URI2006_Andy wrote:Last five minutes of a game, it's possible we could stink trying to speed the game up. But we know we stink slowing it down. Try something new before Brooklyn.

You're ok with one starting shooting guard, a top 60 recruit, scoring ZERO points????

Please tell me you're joking.
And his defense was not stellar tonight either
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Hopefully Dan Hurley can evolve as a head coach. I have felt for a while that he projects little confidence into his team. I suspect when he makes his excuses that he has a fear of failure. A truly confident person does not spend much time framing the conversation to lower expectations. The team does play tight and it really seams to be a reflection of the head coach.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

DeanDome88 wrote:Hopefully Dan Hurley can evolve as a head coach. I have felt for a while that he projects little confidence into his team. I suspect when he makes his excuses that he has a fear of failure. A truly confident person does not spend much time framing the conversation to lower expectations. The team does play tight and it really seams to be a reflection of the head coach.
He is certainly one high-strung individual. Although, it does seem that he is much MUCH calmer than last year and hopefully that helps. I think he AND the team with him, can still make strides THIS year.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

WOW.

Hurley taking numerous shots at Iverson and Terrell in his post game press conference.

Read Koch's article.

It is absolutely brutal.

Never seen a coach call his players out like that.
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

link?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »