Game 16: @ St Joseph Sunday Jan 10 12pm NBCSN

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: Game 16: @ St Joseph Sunday Jan 10 12pm NBCSN

Unread post by theblueram »

rhodyrudder wrote:Like it or not, 75-25 is 50 games above .500.
Not 22.5.
A win (or loss) late in a pennant race against a rival
is a 2-game swing in the standings, but it is still just
one game on your record, and will count as either one
more (or less) game above (or below) .500 than the
day before.
It's 1 game on your schedule.
Subtract losses from wins to get games above .500.
If you want to change that fact, you'll need to start
someplace bigger than this forum.
Look at in spot time. Today. If your record is 10-6 at the end of the season, how may games over .500 are you? 2 games. 8-8 is .500. 10-6 is 2 games above.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Things are usually very close. That Steelers Bengals game last night to me was prime example. NFL controls broadcasts and refs.

Play up the narrative of Bengals being punks. Steelers play the same way. Call it in favor of the Steelers. That Shazier hit was not unlike that Williams hit at all.

Then later on Burfict avoids the big hit and still hits Brown. Idk I wouldn't doubt Brown laid down on that one hoping for the flag.

Steelers are snakes. NFL wanted the Roethlisberger Manning matchup. Not the back up Bengal beating Manning. Saves the playoffs ratings.

Rant over.
I know this is not the right thread for football, but I don't think Brown decided to concuss himself. That Burfict guy needs a few games off. However, the Steeler coach had no business on the field and should have been penalized as well. Lastly if Marvin Lewis can't control his players he needs to go.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:208, I'm making a logical assumption that we will have a larger number of capable players in uniform and eligible to play for us.

Yes, things can happen, but as of right now, that's what it looks like.

So, without any unforeseen issues, we will have much more depth than this year.

We will finally be able to play more uptempo for 40 minutes if need be. Foul trouble won't hurt us as much.
Unless...someone decides not to play and/or someone gets hurt or decides to transfer...but then...what are the chances of that? Oh wait, exactly the same every year?

Last year's team had issues with foul trouble...and I'm sure there were some that thought that wouldn't be a problem 'this year'...and yet...here we are...

"Next year's depth" just seems like a shaky bet at best.
Do you know the freshman class we have coming in?? Sure anything can happen but you add Stanford Robinson and EC for Four and Earl and then add our 4 incoming freshman that's the most depth Hurley has had here. The only guy who will most likely be gone is Berry because we have guys better then him coming in.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Two games over .500?.......I gots the degree from URI, and if the transcript is correct, I/s took none math classes......so I can't help here.....no shock here...
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Next season there really shouldn't be any excuses if we don't make the NCAA tournament.

Yes we have some for this year. EC, injuries, freshmen forced into key roles, etc. etc.

Everybody shows up, no major injuries, it's time to put up or shut up.

As long as our incoming class is as good as hoped [or hyped]. The 3 bigs are our frontcourt of the future.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rambone 78 wrote:Next season there really shouldn't be any excuses if we don't make the NCAA tournament.

Yes we have some for this year. EC, injuries, freshmen forced into key roles, etc. etc.

Everybody shows up, no major injuries, it's time to put up or shut up.

As long as our incoming class is as good as hoped [or hyped]. The 3 bigs are our frontcourt of the future.
Just like this year....before a guy bolted and EC and others got hurt.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Hey, I'm trying to be positive here.....

We are due to catch a few breaks...the good kind I mean......
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

This thread is hurting my brain.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Slow night...sh17 happens. Someone, please.... start the St. B/next game conversation... Who are their best? what have they done? who've they beaten? etc....
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote:This thread is hurting my brain.
Threads should stick to the subject - in this case the St Joe game.
Need a separate thread for theorizing about next year as it often enters conversations
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

ramster wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:This thread is hurting my brain.
Threads should stick to the subject - in this case the St Joe game.
Need a separate thread for theorizing about next year as it often enters conversations

Agree. How about a math thread? That way most of us can avoid it.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

theblueram wrote:
rhodyrudder wrote:Like it or not, 75-25 is 50 games above .500.
Not 22.5.
A win (or loss) late in a pennant race against a rival
is a 2-game swing in the standings, but it is still just
one game on your record, and will count as either one
more (or less) game above (or below) .500 than the
day before.
It's 1 game on your schedule.
Subtract losses from wins to get games above .500.
If you want to change that fact, you'll need to start
someplace bigger than this forum.
Look at in spot time. Today. If your record is 10-6 at the end of the season, how may games over .500 are you? 2 games. 8-8 is .500. 10-6 is 2 games above.
Games over .500 is a reference to how many games a team would need to lose to get to .500 based on their current record. Rhody is currently 10-6, we would need to lose 4 straight to be .500 (10-10).
0 x
'No Mercy.'
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Leave it to the poster who said Maryland was a must win for this season before we were definitely playing them to not know how games over or under .500 work...
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Leave it to the poster who said Maryland was a must win for this season before we were definitely playing them to not know how games over or under .500 work...
I don't think I ever said that.

EDIT: Totally misread the post and now realize I was not the target. Carry on.
Last edited by Sweep The Leg 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I refuse to believe that someone who posts on this board does not get the concept of a .500 team.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Leave it to the poster who said Maryland was a must win for this season before we were definitely playing them to not know how games over or under .500 work...
That was my benchmark for an at-large win. We lost, big. And we are so far away from being an at large team. Coincidence?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

theblueram wrote:
That was my benchmark for an at-large win. We lost, big. And we are so far away from being an at large team. Coincidence?
Yes
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Seawrightspostgame wrote:I refuse to believe that someone who posts on this board does not get the concept of a .500 team.
It just makes me laugh on this topic. The conference schedule is 18 games. Going .500 in conference is 9-9. So you win 2 , yes, 2 games over 9 and all of a sudden you are 4 games over .500 in conference? So 11-7 in conference is 4 games over .500? and then 10-8 is 2 games over .500? But wait that was only 1 game difference. How does a team go from 4 games over .500 to 2 games over .500 with 1 game????
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Got a good one for you then. So Dayton (hypothetical) finishes the season at 9-9 (also known as .500. and Rhody finishes at 8-10. How many games behind the .500 team are we? is it 1 or is it 2? I'm just confused.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

theblueram wrote:
Got a good one for you then. So Dayton (hypothetical) finishes the season at 9-9 (also known as .500. and Rhody finishes at 8-10. How many games behind the .500 team are we? is it 1 or is it 2? I'm just confused.
Two different things.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:
theblueram wrote:
Two different things.
Please fill me in so I can understand the beer math of sports. And you can't say because there are more games to play. My scenario is season end. Which is how I look at things. Point in time.
0 x