Milestone for Coach Hurley

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Milestone for Coach Hurley

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

With the win tonight vs Richmond, Coach Hurley now has an overall winning record leading the Rhode Island program for the first time ever. He now sits at 55-54 since coming to Kingston.

Considering the many challenges he inherited and experienced in his first 4 years, this is an excellent accomplishment and I, for one, am very grateful that he is leading our program back to national relevance.

I don't think Dan will ever fall below .500 again here.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: Milestone for Coach Hurley

Unread post by adam914 »

This feels like a good place to put this.

0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Well, one thing we on this board shouldn't do any more, is question Dan's ability to adjust.

Not too long ago, we were all moaning about the stagnant half court offense.

Almost on cue, now we have a faster paced offense with good ball movement. That has helped the shooting for sure.

I would guess the early emergence of the freshmen, with the added depth that brings, has made that possible.

Now let's see what can happen once Hassan and KI are back to full speed......
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

"there we were....me and Davy Crockett.....shoulder to shoulder.....backs against the wall...."
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

"Two dead men got up in the middle of the night.
Back to back they faced each other.
They took out their knives and shot each other."

Ah, the melodrama.
Dan is wonderful, and brilliant, until the team loses again
The emotional roller coaster of sports.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ATPTourFan wrote:With the win tonight vs Richmond, Coach Hurley now has an overall winning record leading the Rhode Island program for the first time ever. He now sits at 55-54 since coming to Kingston.

Considering the many challenges he inherited and experienced in his first 4 years, this is an excellent accomplishment and I, for one, am very grateful that he is leading our program back to national relevance.

I don't think Dan will ever fall below .500 again here.
Agree. 3 cheers and raise a cold one for DH.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

It is impressive and be sure to read carefully my postings before anyone includes me in any category of ingrate. I stand by every sentiment and I'd be willing to bet the coaches would mostly as well, adjustments had to be made and they were, Dan had to move outside of his comfort "zone" (haha you see what I did there? zone?) and he did, players had to become more confident and they have. At 7-5 the m.o. still appeared to be mash everyone into the system, adjustments seemed sparse. The 'system' is important and provides foundation for the 'culture', but operating with players in development while still being expected to win requires flexibility, and its one of the markers of good coaching at this level.

I restate...I understand that DH has done soooo much good for our program, it get's hard to criticize or read criticism. Get it clear, things weren't right and it was on the coaches to get them right, my main issue was with guys piling on the players at a time when it was most important for coaches to think and act on their toes, take the pieces and make adjustments while still working with the 'system' as the foundation, so far this seems like a pleasant reality.

Keep the ball rolling and this stretch and this season becomes evidence of a good coach reaching new heights. You see in my 'it's always boils down to coaching at this level' philosophy coaches get as much credit when winning as they get blame for losing. Always being clear to state that I believe DH is a good coach, even when critiquing aspects of his coaching job to date, I said I believe DH to be better than at least 80% of all the d1 college bb coaches with the ability to climb higher. We don't want a good coach, we want a great coach and maybe Dan's that man, he's done a lot to indicate just that in this latest turn of the worm. I'd bet my last dollar that everyone on the team, coaches and players, would say they've learned a lot from this season so far. And without a doubt in my mind Dan has reached new heights.

I haven't read everyone's every post, but I don't recall anyone stating they were unhappy with the job DH has done getting us back to relevance. Hold on tight, hopefully it's time to soar to new heights.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'