Game 15: University of Richmond (Tue, Jan 5, 7:00pm ESPNU)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: Game 15: University of Richmond (Tue, Jan 5, 7:00pm ESPN

Unread post by ace »

Instant Analysis

http://www.independentri.com/rhody_over ... 793da.html

Getting the point: Jarvis Garrett scored a career-high 18 points, and the general performance made it a career game, too. The points came on 6-of-9 shooting -- including 4-of-4 from 3-point range -- and he added eight assists for good measure. Hurley called it a fantastic performance, then had a little fun, saying, "If you look back at my career, I had many nights like he had today." When Garrett chuckled, a straight-faced Hurley added, "It's not funny. It's true. Maybe not Big East. The non-conference. Maybe the buy games."
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

With 11:00 minutes to go in the second half of the Brown game, URI's season was hanging by a thread: down 15 on the road, with no EC, no Hass and no Iverson. Rhody is 3-0 and +58 in the 96 minutes it has played since.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I felt JG more than JT would find that form from the A10s this year at sometime. I had hoped it would be sooner than later. They both look great.

As awesome as Richmond's front court is? They had the refs in their pocket and they still had nothing. Love our front court.

It is very fun to watch a team that just plays the game. Dan calls many different sets. I haven't counted but there are over 5 different things they are going through. Different stuff for different players.

I hate St Joes. Hold that bird's wings down!
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

I realize it's not his priority, but Hurley is great on the post game, very funny. As opposed to ...
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Great game last night..

As Rod says, now we find out how good we can really be..

Big test on Sunday..

The court is way too bright on TV

Might have something to do w the LED ribbon ?..

Or, more likely, just the regular lighting..

They should look to tweak something there

Anyways.. More importantly.. Great effort by the team
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

TruePoint wrote:With 11:00 minutes to go in the second half of the Brown game, URI's season was hanging by a thread: down 15 on the road, with no EC, no Hass and no Iverson. Rhody is 3-0 and +58 in the 96 minutes it has played since.
great observation!

could be the beginnings of something special, it seems like everyone, since that big come back, players and coaches, have really become more confident in this year's version of the team. Its especially nice to have some of the pressure spread among the players, where a guy like Martin, who is probably our best 'game changer' can know it's not all on him, as the injury silver lining thing.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Ramblinrose wrote:I realize it's not his priority, but Hurley is great on the post game, very funny. As opposed to ...
If you watched the brief interview he did with Welsh on the ESPNU broadcast after the game, I have to say that was the happiest Hurley has ever seemed during an interview. He always does a great job breaking things down and actually providing valuable insight.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

As for Richmond's front court "had nothing",
they outscored our frontcourt 55-21.
By any objective standard, that's a massive
advantage for their frontcourt over ours.
We won with out guards being the main contributors.

Dan was almost giddy in the post game.
Nice to hear him enjoy what's going on.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

spar wrote:The three point shooting in the first half was absurd. 8-8 to start the game, that has to be a school record, no?
Since you asked - when URI went to Syracuse a few years back and beat the Orange at the Carrier Dome, they made their first NINE three's. Five by Jimmy Baron, two by Parfait Bittee, one from Will Daniels, and one from the immortal Joe Mbang.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

sf2010 wrote:
Ramblinrose wrote:I realize it's not his priority, but Hurley is great on the post game, very funny. As opposed to ...
If you watched the brief interview he did with Welsh on the ESPNU broadcast after the game, I have to say that was the happiest Hurley has ever seemed during an interview. He always does a great job breaking things down and actually providing valuable insight.
Maybe tied with the interview after the win against GW in the A10 tournament.

They have another 7 day, 3 game stretch coming up, with two tricky road games in Philly and Olean. Nice for them to have a few days to feel good about what they're doing and to keep getting healthier.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:
sf2010 wrote:
Maybe tied with the interview after the win against GW in the A10 tournament.

They have another 7 day, 3 game stretch coming up, with two tricky road games in Philly and Olean. Nice for them to have a few days to feel good about what they're doing and to keep getting healthier.
That good mood lasted well into the night and was on full display at Paco's Tacos. But it ended rather abruptly the next day. Hopefully this one lasts longer!
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

my buddy works at ESPN.. he told me in the past how these basketball games get very low ratings...

i told him Keaney Blue faithful for the ratings !

Tuesday, 1/5/16

ESPN

Men’s College Basketball, Wisconsin vs. Indiana, 7-9pm: 0.75 metered mkt average

(1/6/15, Arkansas/Georgia, 0.47 mtrd mkt rtg)

Men’s College Basketball, Kentucky vs. LSU, 9-11:15pm: 1.32 metered mkt average

(1/6/15, Ohio State/Minnesota, 0.75 mtrd mkt rtg)

ESPN2

Harlem Globetrotters, 90th Anniversary Special, 7-8pm: 0.33 metered mkt average

Men’s College Basketball, Oklahoma State vs. Baylor, 8-10pm: 0.16 metered mkt average

(1/6/15, Oklahoma State/Iowa State, 0.24 mtrd mkt rtg)

ESPNU

Men’s College Basketball, Richmond vs. Rhode Island, 7-8:45pm: 0.03 metered mkt average

(1/6/15, East Carolina/Cincinnati, 0.06 mtrd mkt rtg)

Men’s College Basketball, Tulane vs. Houston, 9-11pm: 0.02 metered mkt average

(1/6/15, Auburn/Vanderbilt, 0.04 mtrd mkt rtg)
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

It was fun to compare the free throw shooting of our Four compared to Richmond's Four. One of Richmond's Four's foul shots bricked off the side of the rim which was possibly one of the worst I have ever seen in person. It was possibly even worse than alumni guy shooting at the half during that contest.
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

As I watched the game, I was focused on URI getting off a good shot on every possession as soon as it appears. This increases the number of our scoring opportunities as well as our success rate. Late in the game nursing a big lead, this is problematic. The later in the shot clock that we get off a shot, the poorer the shot we are taking. We made some tough shot late in the shot clock against Richmond.

We have several good shooters and confidence makes them successful. Success builds confidence. It even carries over to FT shooting as we saw against UR.

JG had a great game in many ways but I remain concerned about a PG being the focus of our offense. Then again, it is not clear with this team who is the PG at any moment in time. 4M, JT and CT all seem as comfortable bringing the ball up-court under pressure.

I thought HM played much more effectively than I expected while KI disappointed. Some players are much more effective in playing with the same injury as another player. The first few games of the season KI looked lost on the court, then he emerged as the offense moved to inside scoring. Coming back from injury KI doesn't look comfortable again without him being the focus of the offense.

We cannot be happy with our interior defense when we give up as many lay-ups against a half-court offense as we did against UR. This was my concern going into the game. FT shooting was UR's downfall.

We are going to have bad shooting nights and are going to lose games we thought we were going to win. When we score 75+ pts/gm we are going to be tough to beat with our defense with will improve as HM heals.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

THE PG IS JARVIS GARRETT!
What the hell does he have to do to stop this idiocy?
You think PC should worry because their PG Dunn
is a focal point?
You don't win without good to great point guard play.
Period!
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

spookydog wrote:It was fun to compare the free throw shooting of our Four compared to Richmond's Four. One of Richmond's Four's foul shots bricked off the side of the rim which was possibly one of the worst I have ever seen in person. It was possibly even worse than alumni guy shooting at the half during that contest.
Yinka Dare's FT was the worst I ever seen in person. Short and to the left by 2 feet.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

spookydog wrote:It was fun to compare the free throw shooting of our Four compared to Richmond's Four. One of Richmond's Four's foul shots bricked off the side of the rim which was possibly one of the worst I have ever seen in person. It was possibly even worse than alumni guy shooting at the half during that contest.
Has that alumni guy ever watched anyone else shoot a basketball? I don't think I've seen anything like that before.
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

I have noticed over the last two games that the extra pass is creating wide open looks. By having 4 guys out on the floor who are hitting 3's things end to open up a lot more and I think this has also helped greatly. Akele, Thompson, Four, Garrett and Terrel, with 4 of them on the floor at a time, open looks will happen more and more.

Dan also mentioned last night, how they have been working on mostly offensive sets at practice, as they have had to re-make themselves offensively. More reps also produces more confidence and better shooting percentages.

Next 8 weeks should be pretty interesting.
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:THE PG IS JARVIS GARRETT!
What the hell does he have to do to stop this idiocy?
You think PC should worry because their PG Dunn
is a focal point?
You don't win without good to great point guard play.
Period!
It's unbelievable.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhodyhooopz wrote:I have noticed over the last two games that the extra pass is creating wide open looks. By having 4 guys out on the floor who are hitting 3's things end to open up a lot more and I think this has also helped greatly. Akele, Thompson, Four, Garrett and Terrel, with 4 of them on the floor at a time, open looks will happen more and more.

Dan also mentioned last night, how they have been working on mostly offensive sets at practice, as they have had to re-make themselves offensively. More reps also produces more confidence and better shooting percentages.

Next 8 weeks should be pretty interesting.
Looks like not only more 'non-weave' offensive sets, but some zone defense that doesn't look too shabby either. It gives up the occasional easy basket, but that happens now and then with all zones. Despite their great man to man...I like seeing them in a zone once in a while, too.

And please...yes, JG is the PG...'maybe' lineup questions were reasonable to bat around earlier in the year, but last night should put that to bed once and for all.
0 x
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

sf2010 wrote:
spar wrote:The three point shooting in the first half was absurd. 8-8 to start the game, that has to be a school record, no?
Since you asked - when URI went to Syracuse a few years back and beat the Orange at the Carrier Dome, they made their first NINE three's. Five by Jimmy Baron, two by Parfait Bittee, one from Will Daniels, and one from the immortal Joe Mbang.
Thank you, sf. I still remember watching that game with my buddy who went to Cuse, it was awesome. Didn't remember it being that many 3's in a row though. Good stuff. Man was it fun watching Jimmy shoot. To this day I still regret turning down a last minute ticket to see us play at Cameron when I lived in NC. Ticket was offered up less than an hour before tipoff and I was living out by Charlotte, so prob would've missed most of the first half by the time I got there. Man that was an awesome game.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
Has that alumni guy ever watched anyone else shoot a basketball? I don't think I've seen anything like that before.
most times when it's a student it's not a good shooter since part of the rules is you can't have played high school basketball for 4 years (or something along those lines) other than that though the selection is random
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

twisted3829 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
most times when it's a student it's not a good shooter since part of the rules is you can't have played high school basketball for 4 years (or something along those lines) other than that though the selection is random
Yeah, but this guy held the ball with 2 hands, behind his head, and just heaved it at the basket. If you've watched one basketball game in your life, you know that is not the way to shoot a basketball. I'm really not criticizing the guy. I just thought it was hilarious.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Our offense is so much smoother when Jarvis is directing it. He can drive and he can hit 3 pointers and he can dish. There is a noticeable difference when he sits, indecision and poorer shot selection. I know he needs some rest stops and occasionally he'll get his 2nd foul in the 1st half. But he needs to run the offense in order for us to go anywhere post-season.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I just don't understand how anyone can even question who our PG is. It's awesome when Garrett is shooting well like he did last night but even on his bad shooting nights NO ONE runs our offense better. He's our PG now and for the future.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Excellent posts! The offense ran so smooth last night. I think (old age) that Richmond played man, if so, we got some very good looks with great ball movement. Obviously, in the Syracuse game they played against the zone. Love the fact about our balanced scoring. If I'm Martelli who do I tell them to focus on? Tough luck and game for KI. A couple of "in and outs" plus numerous fouls, three of which were off ball (I'm not that observant, heard it from someone behind me in 205). Looking for a much better game from him on Sunday. Dan was great on the post game, but DH, it's okay to visit Don and Steve once in a while. A lot of good Ram teams have come back from Philly disappointed. It's time to change our luck against the Hawks! Go Rhody!
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhody72 wrote:JG had a great game in many ways but I remain concerned about a PG being the focus of our offense. Then again, it is not clear with this team who is the PG at any moment in time. 4M, JT and CT all seem as comfortable bringing the ball up-court under pressure.
I think you need to go back to critiquing Jimmy Baron's FT form.
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

Billyboy78 wrote:
twisted3829 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Has that alumni guy ever watched anyone else shoot a basketball? I don't think I've seen anything like that before.
Yeah, but this guy held the ball with 2 hands, behind his head, and just heaved it at the basket. If you've watched one basketball game in your life, you know that is not the way to shoot a basketball. I'm really not criticizing the guy. I just thought it was hilarious.
It looked more like a soccer player putting the ball into play than a free throw.

Although I was not at this game, this is what I believe to be the worst free throw of all time.
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

i don't know if anyone mentioned it but after the game on ESPNU they went to the studio and showed that PC lost and the in studio guy said something to the effect of 'it's a doubt win for Ram fans as Rhode Island wins and Providence loses'
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Rhody72 wrote:JG had a great game in many ways but I remain concerned about a PG being the focus of our offense. Then again, it is not clear with this team who is the PG at any moment in time. 4M, JT and CT all seem as comfortable bringing the ball up-court under pressure.

:roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll:

Ahhhhh Huh.......
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

twisted3829 wrote:i don't know if anyone mentioned it but after the game on ESPNU they went to the studio and showed that PC lost and the in studio guy said something to the effect of 'it's a doubt win for Ram fans as Rhode Island wins and Providence loses'
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Absolutely.
Rhode Island Red was ecstatic. Me too

Dunn was in the drivers seat for National POY but after Buddy Hield's unbelieveable performance against Kansas Monday Night Dunn is on the outside looking in. 2 critical FT misses late and a ton of turnovers, 2 in the critical last two minutes of the game. Bentil continues to play amazingly - another strong performance for him last night.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

twisted3829 wrote:i don't know if anyone mentioned it but after the game on ESPNU they went to the studio and showed that PC lost and the in studio guy said something to the effect of 'it's a doubt win for Ram fans as Rhode Island wins and Providence loses'
Other than the schadenfreude, is there benefit to URI by PC losing?
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I hardly think a game in early January, with PC lost by ONE
point,and Dunn had 20 points, 7 assists and 5 rebounds,
takes Dunn out of anything.
This board gets more insane by the day.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

SGreenwell wrote:
I think you need to go back to critiquing Jimmy Baron's FT form.

CLASSIC!!!!
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Other than the schadenfreude, is there benefit to URI by PC losing?
Nope. I've always said I wouldn't mind if PC goes 29-1 as long as the 1 is to Rhody. Obviously the better they are the better our strength of schedule is. Now then if PC happened to just be bad, so bad it hurt our sos win or lose, there might be some fun in that, I've got a couple of PC fan/friends that would take a whole rash of shit from me, but it certainly wouldn't help our resume.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote:With 11:00 minutes to go in the second half of the Brown game, URI's season was hanging by a thread: down 15 on the road, with no EC, no Hass and no Iverson. Rhody is 3-0 and +58 in the 96 minutes it has played since.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

No h/t or anything?!! Cmon coxhub!
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:No h/t or anything?!! Cmon coxhub!
Haha seriously, you know they stole that!
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

12-21 FG shooting from our supersoph backcourt not incredible but about what I expected from these two and if it continues probably good enough for a special season.

GO RHODY!
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

adam914 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:No h/t or anything?!! Cmon coxhub!
Haha seriously, you know they stole that!
disrespected and pushed aside... just like the chair in that video clip
0 x
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Andre Berry at point

Unread post by Ramtastico »

With his bulk, no one will be able to reach around him for a steal and his height will make him dominate on D.
There, problem solved.
We can now dump that midget with his weak 18 pt, 8 assist, 1 TO game. BTW he only played 33 minutes. Quality PG's can play 40, no problem.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rodfromcranston wrote:I hardly think a game in early January, with PC lost by ONE
point,and Dunn had 20 points, 7 assists and 5 rebounds,
takes Dunn out of anything.
This board gets more insane by the day.
You left out the turnovers, missed free throws in clutch time and most importantly Buddy Hield's monster game the night before in front of a huge national TV audience.

And I was not saying he lost the POY or it took him out of the running but he lost the LEAD.

Consider also that I dislike PC as much or more than anyone on this board having lived through the screwings from D. Gavitt era and the exclusion of URI from the BE, and on and on. Just like I hate the Yankees.

So sure there might be a tad of emotion and imbalance in what I say about PC.

I think the board is more sane than in years past when trolls roamed freely and frequently and meanly. Differences of opinion make for good discussions. Some are optimistic, some pessimistic some middle of the road.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

LOVE THE HEART AND PASSION OF HURLEY

I'd go to battle for him any day..

Let's gooooo
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

My 2nd favorite college basketball team is whoever is playing the Friars.

Could care less about strength of schedule. They lose and I smile.

I still want Dunn on the celtics
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

hrstrat57 wrote:My 2nd favorite college basketball team is whoever is playing the Friars.

Could care less about strength of schedule. They lose and I smile.

I still want Dunn on the celtics
I totally agree. I want them to lose every game. I think those of us who went through all of that crap in the 70s know why. If we have to rely on what PC does to make the tourney, then we don't deserve to be there anyway.
0 x
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

PC is like the collegiate version of the Lakers. Would NEVER root for them.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I think that equates to about 30,000 viewers for our game.

ESPNU

Men’s College Basketball, Richmond vs. Rhode Island, 7-8:45pm: 0.03 metered mkt average
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

72 is pushing to outdo himself with his JG critique -- keep it going! The Jimmy Baron FT comment still goes down as 1 of the all time greats.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Bringing the ball up is over rated. More important is who can initiate an offense, be a leader, score off the bounce/catch, and create offense for others. That is JG at his best or even just off of his best.

Multiple guards and Iverson make the press less than likely to give URI problems. Especially if Kuran is on his game.

Kuran Iverson is like poison to zone defenses and presses.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

Billyboy78 wrote:

The alumni's shooting form reminded me of the boxer Manny Pacquiao's

https://bymorgancampbell.files.wordpres ... o-shot.jpg

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/gc/464362 ... 1sdQ%3D%3D
0 x