Week # 9 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: Week # 9 - Games of Interest

Unread post by adam914 »

ace wrote: Adam's guy Yuta had a rough one.
Haha I'm heartbroken! Every time his face comes on the screen I just start cursing.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Maybe we are closer to the top than believed just a short while ago.

But I doubt you're going to get anybody to say we're better than Dayton right now.
0 x
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:TP, this St. Joes team is much better than last year's version.

Maybe not quite as good as people were thinking before they lost last night, but they had VCU beaten until they missed some FT's at the end.

Their defense isn't very good, but they can score with Bembry and Miles.

A lot of people think this will be a loss.

Believe it or not, I think we can win it. That's if the team that played St. Louis and Richmond shows up.

I don't know if GW losing tonight helps us. We will need wins against top 25 and 50 RPI teams, if it gets that far. Their RPI will take a hit, but at least it's a road game, so it could be worse.

Rhoomes for Fordham has really improved this year. He's going to be a load for our bigs to handle.
I think it does help...helps reinforce that Rhody can beat GW. Might be worth more in the individual game if they hadn't lost...but every time the top A10 teams lose and Rhody doesn't....should increase confidence for URI. Maybe URI is actually the best team in the conference....undefeated til they lose.
^This is crazy. Rhody doesn't need 'reinforcement' that they can beat GW; they beat them twice last year. Everyone knows that nobody in the A10 is "unbeatable".
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rambone 78 wrote:Maybe we are closer to the top than believed just a short while ago.

But I doubt you're going to get anybody to say we're better than Dayton right now.
Agree with first point...but if Dayton loses to someone...and Rhody doesn't...
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Nobody is unbeatable in the A-10 because Xavier left...

GW played well In the nonconference last year, then showed they had no balls and killed their resume in A-10 play. Now it would be bad for the conference if that happens again. Need as many A-10 teams in the tournament as possible.
Also,
UMASS needs a new coach.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Kellogg has the #1 recruiting class in the league coming in next year - he ain't going anywhere.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Im always all for as many A10's in the NCAA as possible. Unless Rhody gets in then I don't care.

Like the whole league tanks and we win out. Great. Auto bid? GREAT. A10 can be a 1 bid league this year if its just Rhody.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

bigappleram wrote:Kellogg has the #1 recruiting class in the league coming in next year - he ain't going anywhere.

More players to go play matador defense and Jack up threes.
We've got to sweep them this year
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

He'll screw it up somehow, though.

They will be good, but not as good as they could be.....

I will say this: We should beat them twice this year. NO excuses. They stink.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Im always all for as many A10's in the NCAA as possible. Unless Rhody gets in then I don't care.

Like the whole league tanks and we win out. Great. Auto bid? GREAT. A10 can be a 1 bid league this year if its just Rhody.
exactly.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

They were bitch slapped tonight. No defense whatsoever.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rambone 78 wrote:TP, this St. Joes team is much better than last year's version.
To be clear, my point had nothing to do with St Joes. I think we could lose to Kansas and the same thing applies. If we lose, you will point to any free throw we missed, any turnovers we made, any easy basket they got, any guy on our team that didn't shoot well, and say we would do that thing better if we were worth a shit. If we lose, we will not have played perfect, and if we don't play perfect you will focus on any thing we didn't do perfect and not anything that we might have done well. That's my perception. If we lose, you will say we choked for one reason or another.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Does Rhody ever win @Joes? Im talking the Saint type and not Rhody Joes.

Does URI ever sweep both Umass and Fordham?

This league is a disease.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Wrong, TP.

I am ALMOST a believer in this team making a run to the postseason, whether it's NIT or NCAA.

Not yet.

There's one thing left to show me.

Play well on the road. Now's the time. They should have confidence right now, but you know that's a fragile thing these days, this team is depending on freshmen to a large extent and you know how that turns out sometimes.

Maybe they will be used to the refs screwing them over, that already happens at home no less, with some of these clowns posing as refs.

The shots aren't always going to fall. It's gone from one extreme to the other over the last few games. It's liable to continue to do that at times.

I'm not going to get bent out of shape if we lose a couple here soon. What's happened lately is nice, but every game is big from here on out, due to our struggles OOC.

We've even made our FT's lately. Will we always do that? Can we expect it?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Wrong, TP.

I am ALMOST a believer in this team making a run to the postseason, whether it's NIT or NCAA.

Not yet.

Play well on the road. Now's the time. They should have confidence right now, but you know that's a fragile thing these days, this team is depending on freshmen to a large extent and you know how that turns out sometimes.

Maybe they will be used to the refs screwing them over, that already happens at home no less, with some of these clowns posing as refs.

The shots aren't always going to fall. It's gone from one extreme to the other over the last few games. It's liable to continue to do that at times.

I'm not going to get bent out of shape if we lose a couple here soon. What's happened lately is nice, but every game is big from here on out, due to our struggles OOC.

Always? Of course not. And when they don't...if they lose...it will be FT b*tch-session redux. :lol: Undefeated in the A10!!!
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

UMass got trashed tonight by Dayton, 93-63. No matter what our limitations are, I just do not want to see us lose to UMass this year home or away. Screw UMass.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

rambone 78 wrote:He'll screw it up somehow, though.

They will be good, but not as good as they could be.....

I will say this: We should beat them twice this year. NO excuses. They stink.
Yup, its the classic Baron move, wasted talent.

that 2007-08 roster still keeps me up at night...imagine if Hurley had:

Jimmy
Daniels
Seawright
Delroy
Parfait
Cothran
Ulmer
Marquise Jones

Ugh, they could've picked a random fan to be 'coach of the day' each game and still made the dance.
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

rambone 78 wrote:Wrong, TP.

Not yet.

Exactly we have shown how great we can be at home but we have to do it on the road to really make an NCAA bid a reality. Playing at Saint Joe's is always soooo tough so if we can pull out the W I'll be pumped!

It's too bad Joes fell asleep against VCU and gave the game away that won't happen again Sunday.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

theblueram wrote:They were bitch slapped tonight. No defense whatsoever.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

No A-10 games tonight.

Only two games involving OOC opponents:

* Rider at Iona. 8 PM. On ESPN3. Iona adds to its MAAC resume.

* Old Dominion at Louisiana Tech. ODU currently on 4 game winning streak, but LT is no slouch having easily beaten Ohio State on the Buckeye's home court. Advantage to the home team in this one.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Obadiah wrote:No A-10 games tonight.

Only two games involving OOC opponents:

* Rider at Iona. 8 PM. On ESPN3. Iona adds to its MAAC resume.

* Old Dominion at Louisiana Tech. ODU currently on 4 game winning streak, but LT is no slouch having easily beaten Ohio State on the Buckeye's home court. Advantage to the home team in this one.
2 good games tonight as the Arizona schools visit LA:
- Arizona State at USC
- Arizona ar UCLA
Both should be close games.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Anyone know what's going on with GW? They barely beat Fordham at home and just lost to St. Louis. Are they not as good as we thought? Are there injuries? This is really strange.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Odu beats Louisiana Tech
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Great game UCLA and Arizona. UCLA wins at buzzer with 3 by Alford.
Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant with courtside seats as they play Lakers tonight.
Several shots of Jim Harrick at the game.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Can we call Valpo, PC, Nebraska, and ODU and have a "re-do"?

Think we might win at least a couple of those if we played them now?

:P :P :P
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Wrapping up Thursday action;

* Iona beat Rider, 67-58. AJ English put in 24 points. Iona now rides alone at the top of the MAAC with a 5-0 mark.

* In a game not mentioned earlier, Cleveland State was routed at home by Green B, 87-67. Only 1471 hardy souls bother to watch that one. Talk about rattling around in a 13,000 seat arena.

Hardly any relevant action on Friday, only Valparaiso on the road to take on Oakland.

Has anyone noticed that the love affair between the Providence Journal and all things Bryant sports has diminished recently. I guess Bryant's poor start to its basketball season has had an impact. Others have also shown less interest as the Bulldogs in six home games have failed to draw a crowd of more than 600 fans. This is a whole different dimension than URI's attendance woes. Maybe Jim Donaldson should pay some attention to the north.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Obadiah wrote:Wrapping up Thursday action;

* Iona beat Rider, 67-58. AJ English put in 24 points. Iona now rides alone at the top of the MAAC with a 5-0 mark.

* In a game not mentioned earlier, Cleveland State was routed at home by Green B, 87-67. Only 1471 hardy souls bother to watch that one. Talk about rattling around in a 13,000 seat arena.

Hardly any relevant action on Friday, only Valparaiso on the road to take on Oakland.

Has anyone noticed that the love affair between the Providence Journal and all things Bryant sports has diminished recently. I guess Bryant's poor start to its basketball season has had an impact. Others have also shown less interest as the Bulldogs in six home games have failed to draw a crowd of more than 600 fans. This is a whole different dimension than URI's attendance woes. Maybe Jim Donaldson should pay some attention to the north.
Chance to see Kay Felder on ESPN2 at 7pm for Oakland against Valpo. Felder had 38 at Washington and 37 against #1 ranked Michigan State just before Christmas. He had 9 assists in each game. 2nd in nation in ppg

Maybe the Cleveland State fans were home watching on TV �
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

The Dude wrote:Anyone know what's going on with GW? They barely beat Fordham at home and just lost to St. Louis. Are they not as good as we thought? Are there injuries? This is really strange.
Losses like this could be a killer to the A10.
If they want to get 2 or 3 teams (maybe 4), the top teams need to really dominate the rest of the conference.
Even VCU beating St. Joes could be considered a negative, unless VCU is a team to go on that run.
Teams picking each other off is going to prevent anyone from feeling comfortable on Selection Sunday, except for Dayton who seems like a sure-hit barring a ~.500 meltdown.

RPI Forecast Projected Standings
1. Dayton 14-4 RPI 19
2. VCU 13-5 RPI 56
3. URI 12-6 RPI 65
4. GW 11-7 RPI 52
5. St. Joes 11-7 RPI 54
6. St. Bon 10-8 RPI 75
7. Richmond 10-8 RPI 86
8. Davidson 9-9 RPI 78
9. Fordham 9-9 RPI 135
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Watching this Valpo game against Oakland. Boy I would love to beat them in MaRcH.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Those RPI numbers really point out the value of beating good teams in the OOC.

It's like we have a "handicap" going into the conference season, with our RPI in the shitter after the Brown game.

12-6 obviously won't cut it. Even 12-6 with a couple of wins in NY won't make it.

Getting the bye, just like last season, won't be enough either.

Has to be 14-4 or better, with at least a win or maybe 2 in the conf. tourney.

A tall order, indeed. Can not lose the next 2, or it will be win the whole thing at Barclay's or bust.

We have to show we can beat good teams on the road. Now.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

To excite the ire of TP, Maryland was a must win game.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If we just miss out in the end, it will be the PC and Valpo games that did us in.

We have zippo to hang our hat on before league play, unless Houston keeps surging.....
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

No, it's not PC or Valpo. It's Maryland. Why was Georgetown last year at like 9-9 still in the discussion? Because they beat like #4 Michigan State. Beat the best team on your schedule. Then let's talk at large. This bubble bs is just that. The equity gained from beating the best team on your schedule is HUGE. That is AT LARGE wins. The rest is bubble talk.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I saw a couple of shots of Harrick at last night's game and must say he looked great. He looked like he did when he left here 15-16 years ago.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

eli#10 wrote:I saw a couple of shots of Harrick at last night's game and must say he looked great. He looked like he did when he left here 15-16 years ago.
Agree, I watched too, and he did look great, very relaxed and happy.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Valpo held the nations 3rd leading scorer, Kay Felder, to an abysmal 8-28 shooting in beating Oakland handily on the road.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Maybe next year we'll be good enough to beat Duke at Mohegan.

That would be huge, obviously.

I think we will have several good opportunities even besides that, to pump up our resume OOC.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Four games make up this Saturday's A-10 schedule:

* St. Bonaventure at UMass . 12 Noon. CBS Sports. Another road win for the Bonnies will strengthen their claim on being a bona fide A-10 contender.

* Dayton at LaSalle. 7 PM. The Explorers have disappointed so far and will need their top game to contain Dayton, a re-energized team with Pierre back.

* George Mason at Davidson. 7 PM. GMU has lost all five of their road games and Davidson is unbeaten at home after eight games and this is not likely to change with this game.

* Duquesne at GW. 8 PM. The Dukes have shown flashes of solid play, but the Colonials are destined to atone for the bad loss to Saint Louis.

In games involving URI OOC Opponents:

* #3 Maryland at Wisconsin. 1 PM. On ESPN.

* D2 Daniel Webster at Brown. 2 PM.

* Holy Cross at Bucknell. 2 PM.

* Milwaukee at Cleveland State. 3 PM. On ESPN3.

* Marist at Iona. 4 PM

* Nebraska at Rutgers. 5 PM. On ESPNU.

* Texas at TCU. 7 PM. On ESPNU.

* Fairfield at Rider. 7 PM.

* Old Dominion at Southern Mississippi. 8 PM.
0 x
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

Daniel Webster is D3; not D2
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

theblueram wrote:No, it's not PC or Valpo. It's Maryland. Why was Georgetown last year at like 9-9 still in the discussion? Because they beat like #4 Michigan State. Beat the best team on your schedule. Then let's talk at large. This bubble bs is just that. The equity gained from beating the best team on your schedule is HUGE. That is AT LARGE wins. The rest is bubble talk.
It's not 1 game, it's a resume. Northern Iowa beat UNC and Iowa State both top 5 teams and at 9-6 are trending towards not being a tourney team. The losses to PC and Valpo hurt much more than the missed opportunity with Maryland.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote:
theblueram wrote:No, it's not PC or Valpo. It's Maryland. Why was Georgetown last year at like 9-9 still in the discussion? Because they beat like #4 Michigan State. Beat the best team on your schedule. Then let's talk at large. This bubble bs is just that. The equity gained from beating the best team on your schedule is HUGE. That is AT LARGE wins. The rest is bubble talk.
It's not 1 game, it's a resume. Northern Iowa beat UNC and Iowa State both top 5 teams and at 9-6 are trending towards not being a tourney team. The losses to PC and Valpo hurt much more than the missed opportunity with Maryland.
I agree...resume build requires numbers, too, not just a flash in a mediocre record...3 of 4 out of PC/Valpo/ODU/Nebraska would carry more weight than just one v MD. Hopefully, they just run the A10 table and it's not an issue ;)
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I know it's about resume. But can we for once get a significant, sure-fire win against a team that will go to the NCAAT. It alleviates alot of hand wringing.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It's all about having wins [plural] against top 50 RPI teams. Top 25 too

Our only remaining opportunity for a top 25 win is Dayton, actually twice since we play them twice.

How many teams in the A10 will end up even top 50?

I don't think GW or St. Joes will end up there. VCU? Not likely.

The PC loss was huge. Valpo might not end up top 50 either.

With Maryland, would we have won that game even at full strength? Even playing like we are now?

Not likely.

blueram, it's against Dayton at home. Now THAT's a must win, if we're in position for a bid when the time comes.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

18-0 in A10 gets them in...and so far, on the right track...('til they lose).
Trying to figure out if I can handle the 4.5+ hr drive to St. Joe's....
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:18-0 in A10 gets them in...and so far, on the right track...('til they lose).
Trying to figure out if I can handle the 4.5+ hr drive to St. Joe's....
Agree, 18-0, 17-1, 16-2, 15-3 are the options that have to happen now.

Nothing can be done about the OOC now except to whine.

It's all about conference play:
- Consider that our tough OOC has made us better capable of handling the A10 now
- We have used the OOC to adjust to playing w/o EC and to incorporate McGlynn, Iverson, Thompson, Akele and Berry into the fold.
- Last year's freshmen are stepping up to help lead this team along with Martin.
- let's win at St Joe's
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

UMASS - St Bona is pick em and the only expected close game of the 4 today
In games tonight, Dayton and Davidson both favored by 13, GW favored by 10
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

ramster wrote:UMASS - St Bona is pick em and the only expected close game of the 4 today
In games tonight, Dayton and Davidson both favored by 13, GW favored by 10
Bonnie by 14 late in the game. UMass sucks ...
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

First A-10 results are in as St. Bonaventure disposes of UMass , 88-77 on the strength of superior shooting highlighted by 10 treys.

The Bonnies have now established themselves as contender in the A-10 with a 3-0 mark which includes two road wins. This claim is further aided by the Bonnies' favorable A-10 schedule which is one result of the unbalanced nature of the A-10 Conference. This is particularly true when you compare the URI and SBU schedules. Since both schools have equivalent home and home partners, the issue becomes more vivid in the comparison of the eight single game partners factoring in where the game is played.

The Bonnies play five strong teams - Richmond, VCU, GW, URI, and Davidson - and only the VCU game is a road test. Their other three road games are all against weak teams - GMU, Fordham, LaSalle. So in general they play the strong teams at home and the weak teams on the road.

Contrast that to the URI schedule. Again looking at the single game partners: URI also plays five strong teams - Richmond, Davidson, VCU, GW, Bonnies - all on the road except Richmond. Our home games are Saint Louis, GMU, and Duquesne. In general, URI plays the strong teams on the road and the weak teams at home.

This scheduling quirk can be overcome, but it does mean the Rams have to be in high gear.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Dayton loses at La Salle
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Another A-10 upset as LaSalle beats Dayton, 61-57. Not good for the conference. UMass easily handled LaSalle at Gola and Umass got trashed at Dayton. Go figure. Wow. The Bonnies are in first place!
0 x