Game 14: St Louis University - 2 January, 4:30p NBCSN

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Game 14: St Louis University - 2 January, 4:30p NBCSN

Unread post by theblueram »

Look, this has been a pretty rough go for all of us. The season we waited for. The coach we wanted to take us there. The highly rated recruits we have on our roster. The pre-season hype.It has had me in a funk for over a month, even more. The Brown game gave me some hope. That we can still play some competitive ball, that this team might still have some balls. DH is a really good coach. In fact, he fits our fan base pretty good. He flips the eff out when we are losing and has grace in victory. The TO plays are effective but it comes down to execution. The boys need to get the ball in the hoop.

The A10 begins tomorrow.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: St. Louis @ THE University of Rhode Island 01-02-16

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Exactly. And, regardless of crowd size, those of us that are there will be cheering our lungs out for the home team. GO RHODY!!!
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Won't be able to make it I have a wedding two tickets available Section 205
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Will be there and could have an extra. PM me if interested.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

What's the tv/stream deal, anything streamed?......trying to plan my day away from South County....my seats will be filled....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

First time poster… long time reader. While I like to complain about our misfortunes as much as anyone, I’d like throw out my thoughts of how we can improve in conference play given the cards we’ve been dealt this season.

1. FM is an exciting shooter but this team’s identity is defense. I’d like to see CT play more minutes than FM. Not to mention CT is 11-23 (.478) from three.

2. Regardless of who is on the floor, I’d like to see more three-point attempts in transition. Two reasons: (i) Without EC, we need to get creative to score in transition. (ii) this team may be better three point shooters than we think. The team is 236 for 500 shooting 2’s = .944 points per shot and that includes dunks and layups. 78 for 225 shooting 3s = 1.04 points per shot. We may run into some extended scoreless stretches but we seem to do that already.

3. We really struggle late in the shot clock. When we’re up late, I’d like to see us attacking in transition. Two (or three) points is always better than 30 seconds run off the clock. While opponents are pressing, doubling, crashing for offensive boards, we will have some opportunities for open looks in transition late. (plus, this avoids us getting fouled late in the shot clock and missing the front end of a 1 and 1). Since the Ryan Center opened, we’ve lost so many big games trying to take the air out of the ball late. Iona was the latest example of this. Up 5 with 2:30 left dribbling at half court for 25 seconds.

DH is smart and a great competitor so I remain optimistic and I’ll be there tomorrow.
0 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

I honestly believe that we can do damage in A10 play. Just take it one day at a time, one game at a time, plan for each individual opponent... avoid bad losses...
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Joe, nice thought but we have to have our bigs healthy to have any chance.

Berry was a nice surprise against Brown, but how many minutes can he realistically give us? 10?

Will Four go for 33 against any A10 teams? Not likely.

Everybody has to step up. Terrell simply has to play better, he's a difference maker IF he brings his A game.

A lot of ifs.

Good enough to beat St. Louis I think, but Richmond? GW? Even St. Joes? And on and on?

Any given game yes, but they have to string together a bunch of good games, and we just haven't seen them do that yet, even with Hassan and KI.
0 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

rambone 78 wrote:Joe, nice thought but we have to have our bigs healthy to have any chance.

Berry was a nice surprise against Brown, but how many minutes can he realistically give us? 10?

Everybody has to step up. Terrell simply has to play better, he's a difference maker IF he brings his A game.

A lot of ifs.

Good enough to beat St. Louis I think, but Richmond? GW? Even St. Joes? And on and on?

Any given game yes, but they have to string together a bunch of good games, and we just haven't seen them do that yet, even with Hassan and KI.
Seems like thats what its all coming down too... And I believe that they CAN, this season, but will they? We will find out soon....
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Joe wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:Joe, nice thought but we have to have our bigs healthy to have any chance.

A lot of ifs.

Seems like thats what its all coming down too... And I believe that they CAN, this season, but will they? We will find out soon....
That's the spirit, Joe!
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

DH is running the wrong offense for a team with little inside and such poor foul shooters among the inside players.

4M can be stopped but a defense must commit to stopping him and this opens the court for others. 4M would have had an exceptional year statistically if EC was on the court with him.

If we start against SLU by running down the shot clock and working the ball down low to Earl again, I'm going to take a nap.

Is DH a good coach? Well, he has strengths and weaknesses. Offensive basketball and adjusting to game situations are not strengths. Recruiting and defensive basketball are strengths. Four years and we are still going nowhere. He hasn't developed JG and JT to where they should be. Poor foul shooting can be tracked back to DH's expectations. No excuse for being less than average.

DH has depended heavily on transfers, this is year 4, and 3 key players are transfers.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote:DH is running the wrong offense for a team with little inside and such poor foul shooters among the inside players.

4M can be stopped but a defense must commit to stopping him and this opens the court for others. 4M would have had an exceptional year statistically if EC was on the court with him.

If we start against SLU by running down the shot clock and working the ball down low to Earl again, I'm going to take a nap.

Is DH a good coach? Well, he has strengths and weaknesses. Offensive basketball and adjusting to game situations are not strengths. Recruiting and defensive basketball are strengths. Four years and we are still going nowhere. He hasn't developed JG and JT to where they should be. Poor foul shooting can be tracked back to DH's expectations. No excuse for being less than average.

DH has depended heavily on transfers, this is year 4, and 3 key players are transfers.
Seriously? "4 years and...going nowhere?" Please...do I need to go get that graph again?
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Stop with blaming the coach for the poor foul shooting. That's totally asinine. It begins and ends with each individual player.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

72, we are just not there yet.

A lot of us thought so, but no.

We've gone over the reasons many times, no need to repeat them here.

12-6 in conference is the absolute ceiling of this group this year, and that's with Hassan and KI back and healthy.

The sunny side up boys are dreaming. Good for them, I guess.

12-6 would get us an NIT bid. No more, no less.

As things stand right now, it's somewhere between 9-9 and 11-7.

With no major injuries, better play from some of the players that are here, and the new recruits show promise, next year is the year.

That's it from my view.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Four struggles against better competition but its not like he knocks down every open look. Countless times I have fell for the thought "Oh Four is wide open awesome!" Then clank. He is more streaky than anything. They go in or they don't. Although you have to figure that on some level he is settling in and should be more consistent here on out.

First 5 games are pretty serious. I don't think URI has beaten a top 150 RPI this year. Correct me if I'm wrong.

3 of first 5 are top 100? Right?
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:Stop with blaming the coach for the poor foul shooting. That's totally asinine. It begins and ends with each individual player.

I agree. Obviously I'd like a player with both skill sets, but I'd chose defensive skills over free throw shooting skills every time.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

LOL...78, Were you saying 'next year is the year' last December? Will you be saying the same thing next December?

College hoops is a year at a time thing...that's why championships are won, not 'defended.'
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

208, if we are saying the same thing next December, this board will be Chernobyl revisited.........

You have to hang your hat on something.

You HOPE this year will be good. Not a lot of concrete evidence to support that hope, however.

I hope NEXT year will be good. I think, as things stand right now, that next year offers much more of that "hope" than this year does....

Think Dan feels the same way? Of course he's not giving up on this year, but what do you think he's thinking right now?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

78, since we have zero impact, sports is all about 'hope', so I agree with you there. And, I 'hope' Dan's so focused on this year that he isn't thinking about next year.

No more 'concrete reason' for hope next year than this year...guys could leave, get hurt, underperform, etc. Gotta play with the hand you're dealt and this team hasn't even started conference play. Maybe these couple games with top players on the shelf will make others more valuable and capable of conference play surprise...who knows...but seems there's no more reason to give up hope for this year than there is to put it into next year.
0 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

Am I the only optimistic one left? :o
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Joe wrote:Am I the only optimistic one left? :o
Nope, I'm thinking of changing my name to Captain Optimistic. :lol: This still has potential to be a great season and am looking forward to the whole thing, especially Brooklyn.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

URI2006_Andy wrote:First time poster… long time reader. While I like to complain about our misfortunes as much as anyone, I’d like throw out my thoughts of how we can improve in conference play given the cards we’ve been dealt this season.

1. FM is an exciting shooter but this team’s identity is defense. I’d like to see CT play more minutes than FM. Not to mention CT is 11-23 (.478) from three.

2. Regardless of who is on the floor, I’d like to see more three-point attempts in transition. Two reasons: (i) Without EC, we need to get creative to score in transition. (ii) this team may be better three point shooters than we think. The team is 236 for 500 shooting 2’s = .944 points per shot and that includes dunks and layups. 78 for 225 shooting 3s = 1.04 points per shot. We may run into some extended scoreless stretches but we seem to do that already.

3. We really struggle late in the shot clock. When we’re up late, I’d like to see us attacking in transition. Two (or three) points is always better than 30 seconds run off the clock. While opponents are pressing, doubling, crashing for offensive boards, we will have some opportunities for open looks in transition late. (plus, this avoids us getting fouled late in the shot clock and missing the front end of a 1 and 1). Since the Ryan Center opened, we’ve lost so many big games trying to take the air out of the ball late. Iona was the latest example of this. Up 5 with 2:30 left dribbling at half court for 25 seconds.

DH is smart and a great competitor so I remain optimistic and I’ll be there tomorrow.
Good debut post. Welcome the Monkey House.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Rhody72 wrote:DH is running the wrong offense for a team with little inside and such poor foul shooters among the inside players.

Seriously? "4 years and...going nowhere?" Please...do I need to go get that graph again?
Yes bring out the graph :D
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

By request...btw, only 3 years completed....
Attachments
wins per year.JPG
wins per year.JPG (17.86 KiB) Viewed 2171 times
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

URI2006_Andy wrote:First time poster… long time reader. While I like to complain about our misfortunes as much as anyone, I’d like throw out my thoughts of how we can improve in conference play given the cards we’ve been dealt this season.

Good post! Welcome. The shot clock issue is a big area of improvement opportunity.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

hrstrat57 wrote:

Good post! Welcome. The shot clock issue is a big area of improvement opportunity.
Agree...one of the good things about the reduction from 35-30...shot clock issue has been hard on the eyes at times...
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Game 14: St Louis University - 2 January, 4:30p NBCSN

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Per Disano Iverson won't start but will play
0 x
Go_bills
Zach "1 and Done" Marbury

Unread post by Go_bills »

section(105) wrote:What's the tv/stream deal, anything streamed?......trying to plan my day away from South County....my seats will be filled....

TV: NBCSN (Steve Schlanger, David Kaplan) -channel finder
Radio: 101.1 FM ESPN (Bob Ramsey, Earl Austin Jr.)
Online: http://nbcsnstream2.nbcsports.com/?DB_OEM_ID=27200 | http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/ ... M_ID=27200 | http://zunox.hk/zxtv101.html
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Akele got blood on his jersey so is going to wear 15 for the rest of the game. He should permanently switch. Looks better than 45.
0 x
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

At the first media timeout, URI is leading by twelve at the 15:49 mark

URI 14, StL 2
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

I love Andre Berry. He meddles.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

I know we are down a big. But Hurley goes small as shit ball and boom SLU back in the game. Hurley needs to at least keep one big guy out there. Just the screens they set alone are worth it.
0 x
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

With 10:56 remaining in the first half, URI is up by eight

URI 18, StL 10
0 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Crowd size doesn't look too bad on TV. Any guess on a number??
0 x
Stop! Rammer Time
Kenny Green

Unread post by Stop! Rammer Time »

I was going to say that our cold stretch seemed to coincide with JG sitting on the bench ...
0 x
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

I get frustrated when guards, with 20 seconds left on the shot clock, stay at the top of the key until there are seven or so seconds left. To me Garrett sometimes uses this as a crutch. It lets him drive to the basket or shoot a rushed shot without the second-guessing that would come if he did the same move with 16 seconds left.

It also lets the other team know we are down to a couple of easier to defend options, and makes me think we are not confident enough to move the ball around for a better shot.

Are there times it's a great option? Sure, when nothing is working or it's the end of the game maybe. But in the first half, with a big lead, to stand out there and let the clock wind down so you can drive mostly out-of-control is frustrating. Love Garrett but watching him use this IMHO too often is stress I don't need :)
0 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

6 threes and counting. Awesome
0 x
RIhoopz14
Kenny Green

Unread post by RIhoopz14 »

Am i crazy in saying Andre Berry might be our most fundamentally sound player? Yes he doesnt have as high of a ceiling as others but he always seems to have good hands and ability to make smart decisions, everyone else always makes a couple of stupid plays/turnovers per game or panics with the ball
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Dan must have coached them to make free throws today!
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

8-15 / 8-8 now
0 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

Both great percentages.

Nice job Hurley. Must have reminded the guys in the huddle to make their free throws.
0 x
Stop! Rammer Time
Kenny Green

A few tough shots made in a row for JT here
0 x
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

At the half, the hot-shooting Rhode Island Rams go into the locker room with a comfortable 18 point lead:

URI 42, StL 24
0 x
Stop! Rammer Time
Kenny Green

This first half brings up the question:

Is it more so that SLU is just that bad? or that we're just playing that well?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Stop! Rammer Time wrote:This first half brings up the question:

Is it more so that SLU is just that bad? or that we're just playing that well?
I think its a bit of both. SLU is pretty bad, but we're still making shots.
0 x
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

This is the best 3PT shooting game I can remember. Plus we are making our FTs. Sweet.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

0 x