Game 14: St Louis University - 2 January, 4:30p NBCSN

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Game 14: St Louis University - 2 January, 4:30p NBCSN

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

hrstrat57 wrote:
section(105) wrote:Missed TV, radio too, can someone give me a review of Berry's game?
Beat the entire StL team down the floor running the right wing and was rewarded by a little bounce pass from 4 for an easy layup.

Watson played good tho so he didn't get as many minutes as he might have.

He needs to continue to play when Martin returns 8-10 m perfect.
And he actually started that break with a block.
Great to see 4 hit him with that pass as a reward for the block and his hustle.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

89er wrote:We play our best complete game of the season (admittedly against a poor team), and there is barely 2 pages of comment?. I swear the majority of this board is happier when complaining. I have been impressed with the last 3 halves and an overtime period. Let's keep it rolling.
Are there usually fewer posts for home games, given that many members are busy then?
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I think there are fewer posts for home games. Also, there are more posts when ppl are unhappy or like very happy.

I love our front court if Hassan gets healthy. I think we can win most A10 games with our front court. The 3ball is what caught the eye in this game, but it was the big guys that dominated and the hustle plays from everyone that carried the day.

Great game. Piece together another!
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

ah no, the reason I pointed out your post count, mr. 21 posts, is that if you want more optimistic positive cumbaya bullshit then go ahead and increase your post count and its more a joke than anything, because your observation applies to the very nature of human beings, this is the world you live in, wake up. And for the record, you'll hardly ever see me criticizing one of our players, I almost always see college players as the players they could be. Everyone here knows where the buck stops!
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rodfromcranston wrote:I have a question, but there's no appropriate place to ask it.
What does anyone think of that stupid NIKE
shirt that seems to be mostly in football,
with the stupid stripe down the back?
I think it's one of the dumbest things they've ever
come out with. Makes no sense.
What does it represent? A tail? A skunk? What?
I know exactly what you mean and totally agree...really stupid-looking.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote:Missed TV, radio too, can someone give me a review of Berry's game?
Berry had s play that they repeatedly played back,, and was even a half time and end of game highlight.
Berry made a clean block about 10 feet from the basket.
At about the ft line or top of the key, Four threw a nice bounce pass to Berry who had run the length of the floor after the block and Berry laid it in. Announcers were commenting on how well,the big guy ran the floor flowing the block.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Dude, to answer your question about making the extra pass, it's not as easy to do as it might seem a lot of times.

It requires a high BB IQ: Good court awareness and vision. Not many players have it. Especially nowadays when everybody wants to be on the highlight reel. If your PG has it, then you have a very good PG.

Jarvis does it at times, and other times he doesn't. He's better at it than a lot of the PG's we've had for a number of years.

He's got room to grow in that regard. Hopefully he will.
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Solid conference win despite opponent.. Strong game from Akele. Looks like the game is slowing down for both him and Thompson.. Ball movement was the best of the year.. Great shooting, more importantly great shot selection for the most part. This game is the blueprint for the rest of the season. Let's see if they can follow it...
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Dude, to answer your question about making the extra pass, it's not as easy to do as it might seem a lot of times.

It requires a high BB IQ: Good court awareness and vision. Not many players have it. Especially nowadays when everybody wants to be on the highlight reel. If your PG has it, then you have a very good PG.

Jarvis does it at times, and other times he doesn't. He's better at it than a lot of the PG's we've had for a number of years.

He's got room to grow in that regard. Hopefully he will.
Maybe I'm alone, but, a lot of times their passing seems a touch scary - I don't see their passing as a strength. I'm for 'fewest possible number of passes that results in a good shot.' The 'extra pass' seems a little risky to me for this team. Just my opinion...
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The extra pass imo is one that leaves a teammate with a wide open shot or layup.

You know, a kickout for a wide open 3, or a cutter in the lane or baseline.

Why take a contested off balance shot, especially when our players oftentimes don't even make an open shot?

The "scary" thing, has been our jumpshooting for most of this season. Yesterday, they made a good percentage of them.

Like was said, the ball movement was good, if they can keep that up they will get better shots, and hopefully make more of them.

If we are to beat the good teams, that has to happen.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

They benefited yesterday from sharing and just trying to make the right play. No doubt.

Akele's no nonsense stroke I think on the screen and pop or in the corner on their drives. I think his knock down ability gave them all some confidence.

Lots of pieces for this team. Beat Richmond and the tide will rise a bit around here.

I really love Akele/CT and their sophomore bro Berry.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:The extra pass imo is one that leaves a teammate with a wide open shot or layup.

Why take a contested off balance shot, especially when our players oftentimes don't even make an open shot?

The "scary" thing, has been our jumpshooting for most of this season. Yesterday, they made a good percentage of them.

Like was said, the ball movement was good, if they can keep that up they will get better shots, and hopefully make more of them.

Agree that the ball movement always looks better when the shots are dropping like they were yesterday. Looking forward to Tuesday night's test!
0 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

The shots were dropping because of the ball movement and the shooters were ready and wanting to shoot. Guys were looking to attract defenders and kick out for 3. This team can knock down 3s. Wasn't just yesterday. I expect our solid 3 point shooting to continue. And if teams decide not to help off our shooters, should open up the lane a little for JT and JG.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:The extra pass imo is one that leaves a teammate with a wide open shot or layup.

Agree that the ball movement always looks better when the shots are dropping like they were yesterday. Looking forward to Tuesday night's test!
Yep, we have had these same wide open 3's this year and not hit them. Hitting the 3's, especially early, put SLU in the hole early, and gave all of our guys a lift. Hitting the shots of course also increased the assist numbers.
Don't think SLU is as bad as some think, more like URI made SLU look worse than they really our with our stellar play yesterday.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Agree with all the positive posts, and a fun night in Kingston. Liked the fact that when St. Louis "cut" the lead to 14, we responded. The Rams were not going to let this team get back in the game. Let other teams blow fifteen point wins. Last of the accurate predictors, but I did think before the Brown game that AB should get more minutes. JT on the post game show had a good point that AB rarely brings the ball down before shooting. If Hass can't go Tuesday, we will need big games from Earl and Berry. On a minor point that maybe someone has the answer to - why were the concession lines so long? I know they closed one on the west side. Was it that every kid needed to eat dinner at halftime or were there skeleton crews working last night. I know a number of people missed the start of the second half because of this. Anyway, if that's the least of our problems... Big game Tuesday, be there!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

neil wrote:Agree with all the positive posts, and a fun night in Kingston. Liked the fact that when St. Louis "cut" the lead to 14, we responded. The Rams were not going to let this team get back in the game. Let other teams blow fifteen point wins. Last of the accurate predictors, but I did think before the Brown game that AB should get more minutes. JT on the post game show had a good point that AB rarely brings the ball down before shooting. If Hass can't go Tuesday, we will need big games from Earl and Berry. On a minor point that maybe someone has the answer to - why were the concession lines so long? I know they closed one on the west side. Was it that every kid needed to eat dinner at halftime or were there skeleton crews working last night. I know a number of people missed the start of the second half because of this. Anyway, if that's the least of our problems... Big game Tuesday, be there!
Good question on concessions. Many students work the concession stands. My guess is most are home for the holidays still. But this should not happen of course. Would be a good one to forward to the right person - just not sure who exactly that is.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I spoke with someone that works at the Ryan Center. They were shorthanded last night as many student employees are back home. It was even an issue with checking tickets at the turnstiles as they didn't initially have enough staff and long lines formed in the north lobby.

Was surprised at the attendance of 4,517. I thought that was pretty good for an odd start time against a bad opponent during break in a season that was not living up to expectations. It looked like the reduced ticket price promo for seats in the student sections was successful. There were a lot of bodies behind both baskets.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

RF1 wrote:I spoke with someone that works at the Ryan Center. They were shorthanded last night as many student employees are back home. It was even an issue with checking tickets at the turnstiles as they didn't initially have enough staff and long lines formed in the north lobby.

Was surprised at the attendance of 4,517. I thought that was pretty good for an odd start time against a bad opponent during break in a season that was not living up to expectations. It looked like the reduced ticket price promo for seats in the student sections was successful. There were a lot of bodies behind both baskets.
I hope many folks up in 300s non center court got the word to move down - those end seats cannot be empty! Looks awful on TV and provides a horrible shooting background - also IMHO gives the opponent a neutral game feel taking away home court advantage!

We have to have folks in the seats behind both baskets!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

Personally, I think Jarvis is the best pure point guard we have had in a long long time. It's unfortunate we'd probably have 2-3 more wins if he made free throws in the last two minutes of games and that's tough to get from the guy who has the ball all the time. But as far as managing the game, making things happen by attacking the basket, defense, etc. I think he is a great player. There have been many times in URI history I wasn't even confident we could handle a press and get the ball up the court...absolutely no worries with the ball in his hand. And he should only get better. Like with most point guards how everyone else is playing around you kind of dictates how well you are doing.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Missed the game, great result, any way to replay the game?
0 x
GO RAMS
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Rhodymob05 wrote:Missed the game, great result, any way to replay the game?
Not unless you DVRed it.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

The positives from yesterday are obvious. My nitpicks...

1) The NBCSN TV announcers were brutal. Couldn't keep the big men straight. Mixed up Terrell with Iverson. Talking about the wrong guys at the wrong times. David Kaplan is from Chicago and know nothing about the A-10 or URI. The pbp guy is just plain bad and boring.

2) Terrell does a great job getting into the paint but does an awful job of dropping off passes to big men in the paint or to the short corner. He gets to the basket and then forces up a difficult shot in traffic. At least 3 times I saw teammates WIDE open for drop downs (dunks) or spotted up from 12-15 feet. Gotta make that play.

3) St. Louis is bad. Really bad right now.

4) Christion Thompson has tremendous potential. He has a great shooting stroke, a great basketball build, and the athleticism. He could really be something.

5) Andre Berry...poor man's Oliver Miller? That would be good.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

One other thing about the poor NBCSN broadcast...

They would talk about URI's injuries of EC and Hass. They would show players on the bench in street clothes, the truck THINKING they were showing EC and Hass. But anybody who knows URI knows that the "bow-tie" guys that they were showing were not right guys.

NBCSN did a poor job.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

bow tie guy is Daniel Marshall, the strength and conditioning coach
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

"Like with most point guards how everyone else is playing around you kind of dictates how well you are doing."

Actually the exact opposite of this is true, a great PG makes everyone around him better.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

bigappleram wrote:"Like with most point guards how everyone else is playing around you kind of dictates how well you are doing."

Actually the exact opposite of this is true, a great PG makes everyone around him better.
BAR, I think that was the point he was making.
0 x
rhodywins
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by rhodywins »

Great game and a very good crowd. Hope we have the same for Richmond.
One thing that I notice is how Earl throws a great pick and then rolls to the basket. Yesterday he was wide open every time and never got a pass. This is something that our guards need to look for to keep us moving forward.
Impress that on semester break all the cheerleaders were there and that the Ath. Dept had a high School band to add to the enjoyment.
0 x