Week #8 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Week #8 - Games of Interest

Unread post by Obadiah »

The CBB tempo picks up as we begin Week #8. As result of its loss to DePaul, George Washington dropped out of Top 25 in both the AP poll and the USA Today poll. The Colonials continue to get other votes in the polls as does Dayton. Saint Joseph's made its poll debut by garnering two votes in the AP poll. Among URI OOC opponents, Maryland remains #4 in AP poll and #4 in the USA Today poll. PC dropped to #12 in the AP poll and got the #13 spot in the USA Today poll.

Cumulative record of URI OOC opponents now stands at 84-66, a winning percentage of .560, up over previous week.

The A-10 cumulative record in OOC play stands at 104-51 , .671 winning percentage, slightly down from last week. The conference RPI remains # 7.

Only one game in the A-10 tonight:

* Davidson at Cal-Berkeley. 9 PM. On PAC12. Good chance for the Wildcats to get back some national attention with a win.

In OOC play:

* Nicholls State at Houston. 2 PM. On ESPN3.

* Bethune-Cookman at Brown. 7 PM.

* Drexel at Iona 7 PM.

* Delaware State at TCU. 8 PM.

* Valparaiso at Belmont. 8 PM.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Week #8 - Games of Interest

Unread post by STC »

This weekly thread is one of the few tolerable reads on this board given how the season has played out. Thanks for putting this together every week.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Thanks, STC.

In a game already completed, Houston easily beats Nicholls State, 76-49. Houston was able to offset their woeful three point shooting, 4-23, by dominating the boards, showing good teamwork with 15 assists and balanced scoring.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

UMass Lowell v Rutgers should be an interesting game. Can UML defeat another lackluster power conference school?
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Results in tonight's action

* Brown beats Bethune-Cookman, 81-73. Kuakumensah had a double-double - 15 points, 12 rebounds.

* Iona held off a Drexel second half surge that cut the Gaels' lead to two with less than two minutes left to win, 77-70.

* TCU routed Delaware State, 75-47

* Valparaiso lost a close one at Belmont, 85-81.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Interesting view on Valpo's loss.....

Eamonn Brennan
ESPN Staff Writer

Thanks in large part to a 26-point, 10-rebound night from forward Evan Bradds, Belmont knocked off Valparaiso 85-81 Monday night, and that probably does it for the Crusaders' at-large NCAA tournament hopes. There's never shame in losing to Rick Byrd's team in Nashville, of course, even if the Bruins were just one game over .500 coming in. Yet Valpo -- which is one of the best defensive teams in the country, features one of best all-around scoring threats in forward Alec Peters, and, at least statistically, may be the best true mid-major of the 2015-16 season -- will nonetheless start conference play Saturday with only one semi-noteworthy win (Nov. 17 at Rhode Island), in a conference (the Horizon League) where almost every opponent will be a high-risk, low-reward RPI scenario. If Bryce Drew's team is going to generate some sleeper March excitement, it will almost certainly have to win its conference tournament beforehand. Bummer.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

That is a bummer, however...still plenty of resume-building time. Just need to get on a win streak...
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I'm done with Davidson after last night, but still intrigued by Richmond.
They can pad the resume tonight with a game at Texas Tech.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The Davidson 86-60 loss to California marks their third big failure against P5 schools. Admittedly road contests against Cal and UNC and a MSG game against Pitt were a tall order, but the Wildcats losses were by a combined margin of 84 points!
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Tuesday action in the A-10:

* Richmond at Texas Tech. 5 PM. Tough road challenge for the Spiders as Tech has only lost to #16 Utah.

* Duquesne at Georgia Tech. 7 PM. On ESPN3. Can the Dukes win a big one on the road as a prelude to their A-10 opener versus Dayton at home???

* Maryland- Eastern Shore at Saint Joseph's. 7 PM. This should be an easy one for the Hawks as prep for their tough A-10 opener on the road against Richmond.

* GW at UCF. 7 PM. On ESPN3. GW is in need of road redemption following their DePaul debacle.

* LIU-Brooklyn at UMass. 7 PM. After their horrendous performance against PC, the Minutemen need to take it out on the Blackbirds.

* Saint Louis at Kansas State. 8 PM. On ESPN3. The Billikens have lost three straight home games against average competition, so a road test against one of the better teams in the Big 12 doesn't look promising.

In OOC play:

* Norfolk State at ODU. 7 PM.

* D2 Cedarville at Cleveland State. 7 PM. On ESPN3. How does such a game get on ESPN3???
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I echo the earlier sentiment about this thread being the only tolerable one. Thanks Obadiah.

A10 to me is looking more like a 2-3 bid league this year despot he historically good OOC winning percentage.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

If Richmond wins at Texas Tech, and GW avoids another OOC slipup at UCF, the A10 can start to solidify 3, maybe 4.
Think 4 is probably a surprise tourney winner, which could happen if someone gets hot at the right time.
I'm high on Richmond, while they haven't been perfect, they have a nice Top 50 neutral win against Cal, and can get another strong road win against TT.
Their RPI doesn't look as sexy, they've played 4 projected 300+ RPI teams OOC.
But they are playing good basketball right now, beat cinderella Northern Iowa pretty badly and crushed ODU who are strong Top 100 teams.
A win at Texas Tech would give them a nice OOC resume.
A loss and you still probably put them in the unsure column.
But out of Richmond, St. Joe's, Davidson, VCU, and URI, think their resume has the start of something that is tourney-worthy.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Texas Tech is favored by 5.5. Will be a very good win for Richmond if they can pull this road win off
Ga Tech is favored by 10. Would be a good A10 win if Duquesne can pull the upset on the road
GW is favored by 5 at Central Florida. A10 needs this win
Kansas State favored by 12.5 versus St Louis. Can St Louis pull a road win out?
Good to see so many A10 teams playing their final OOC games on the road against major conference teams
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

An interesting result earlier today:

"Jarelle Reischel had 23 points, 8 rebounds, 7 assists, 4 steals and set a school record in leading Eastern Kentucky to a 76-64 win over Manhattan on Tuesday.

Reischel, a graduate transfer from Rhode Island who missed the Colonels last game with a sore back, made all 10 of his free throws to break the school record with 32 straight."
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Props to Jarelle for the solid year he is turning in at Eastern Kentucky but let's get real, nobody saw this performance coming and I don't recall anyone up in arms when he left.

That aside, if URI continues to show no flow offensively and Jarelle continues to light it up at EKU, I think it is fair question of Hurley is developing these guys enough offensively.

Look at Hassan v Bentil, why has one progressed so remarkably while Hassan has been more or less the same offensive player since his 2nd semester freshman year.

I don't feel like I have seen any progression from Terrell or Garrett offensively, especially on the perimeter where they have not developed any consistency.

I think it is a combination between lack of offensive development as well as what appears to be a rigid offensive game plan. When I watch URI I get the sense that he offense is too structured and too processed. Would like to see Hurley dial back the set plays against Brown and see if they can find any flow. Obviously it will be tough missing EC, HM and KI.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think it goes back to some of us saying that Dan could bring in an assistant who can help on the offensive end.

Does that mean that one of the current assistants needs to go? Or add another one, with money the way it is, isn't as likely?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Nah, I'm not sure it's coaching just yet. These guys just can't hit a barn door. Whether free throws or open look in the lane floaters. Offense looks pretty good when players hit their shots. Problem to me seems too many new players year to year.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

rambone 78 wrote:I think it goes back to some of us saying that Dan could bring in an assistant who can help on the offensive end.

Does that mean that one of the current assistants needs to go? Or add another one, with money the way it is, isn't as likely?
I place the lack of offensive progression squarely at the feet of Hurley. He built this offense and It looks stagnant, inefficient and players aren't developing.

Even with EC last year I felt the offense had no plan beyond 'give it to EC and pray he can create offense while the rest of us stand around'.

The fact these guys can't hit jump shots consistently is startling and an indictment of Hurley's offensive coaching.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well, a good friend of mine is right when he told me, he's watched us play off and on the last couple of years.

And he said: we will never win squat if we don't have guys who can shoot. No matter how good or bad the offensive game plan is.

Especially our guards. They take the most shots, they have to make a reasonable percentage of them, open or not.

If Dan doesn't bring in recruits who can shoot, we are all pissing in the wind if we think we're going to beat good teams and be an NCAA tourney team.

And that includes FT's. We are NOT Memphis, who lost to Kansas a few years back in the title game because they couldn't shoot FT's in the clutch. They had way more talent on that team, than we will likely ever have. And they made the title game. We will never sniff a deep run the NCAA's unless we can consistently make our FT's. We need every advantage we can get.

Another example would be Virginia a couple of years back. Great defense, even better than ours, but they couldn't hit a bull in the ass with a fiddle. How did that work out for them? I rest my case, your honor.

Good shooters make coaches look good. And right now, our "shooters" are shooting themselves in the foot, and making Dan look worse than he is.
Last edited by rambone 78 8 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I remember Dan doing a "chalk talk" on one of his offensive
plays.
I've seen quite a few over the years,
but this one made me dizzy.
More movement that the Bolshoi Ballet.
I wondered how players could absorb this and
whatever number of other plays existed.
Despite all this complexity, our offense often
seems like the CFL weave.
Pass the ball around and take a brick at the end
of the shot clock.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

LOL!...perfect...---> "our offense often
seems like the CFL weave.
Pass the ball around and take a brick at the end
of the shot clock."

Not sure what the CFL reference is...but that's a perfect description. Although, it does seem like a little less weave lately...
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Run fewer plays, and run them in practice until the cows come home.

That way they get good at them. Some teams do that, and it works well.

Somehow the "standing around" offense never seems to work, especially at the end of games.

Speaking of which, when's the last time we had a coach who could run a coherent half court offense?

Why Jimbo Harrick, of course. And yes, it helps to have guys who can make shots too.

We don't have either right now.

208, that's why I said you didn't experience the wonder that was Baron....lucky you.....
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Run fewer plays, and run them in practice until the cows come home.

That way they get good at them. Some teams do that, and it works well.

Somehow the "standing around" offense never seems to work, especially at the end of games.

Speaking of which, when's the last time we had a coach who could run a coherent half court offense?

Why Jimbo Harrick, of course. And yes, it helps to have guys who can make shots too.

We don't have either right now.

208, that's why I said you didn't experience the wonder that was Baron....lucky you.....
Sounds like quite a 'time'! Yes, the standaround/weave offense can be really hard on the eyes.
Hopefully, there will be a jump-shooter emerge tomorrow night...
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

The weave was just brought out. Never saw it before EC went down. The problem is this team can't hit the broad side of a barn. Never had a problem before with offensive sets. The problem is these guys can't hit the shots. Step up or step out.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We need CT and Four to get hot....need more than one option, or teams will concentrate on stopping just one.

Terrell and JG just can't shoot. Terrell I'm not that surprised, but I am with Jarvis.

I remember ramster gushing about Garrett's shooting before he came here. And his BB IQ.

Well, his shot has left him, and at times [during crunch time especially] his BB IQ leaves him too.

We've had a lot of PG's in the last 15 years who just put their heads down and drove to the hoop, ignoring guys on the wings who were wide open [and could shoot too].

Jarvis has shown an alarming tendency to do the same. Of course, we don't have the shooters right now, but you get the point? He's supposedly a true PG who can see the floor. He's not living up to his promise.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Richmond did not pass muster in its game at Texas Tech, losing 85-70. Richmond scored the first basket and then Tech took over and was never headed,maxing its lead to as much as 20 points in the second half.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The A10 is not helping itself.

The standout, if there is one, will be Dayton with Pierre back.

GW maybe also, but not as good as their early season made it look.

Figures. If we had all our players, even with our shooting woes we'd be right there at the end just like last season. I would say we'd be 9-3 right now with EC around, and still in the conversation.

At least it looks that way right now.....
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:We need CT and Four to get hot....need more than one option, or teams will concentrate on stopping just one.

Terrell and JG just can't shoot. Terrell I'm not that surprised, but I am with Jarvis.

I remember ramster gushing about Garrett's shooting before he came here. And his BB IQ.

Well, his shot has left him, and at times [during crunch time especially] his BB IQ leaves him too.

We've had a lot of PG's in the last 15 years who just put their heads down and drove to the hoop, ignoring guys on the wings who were wide open [and could shoot too].

Jarvis has shown an alarming tendency to do the same. Of course, we don't have the shooters right now, but you get the point? He's supposedly a true PG who can see the floor. He's not living up to his promise.
Rambone,
I never gushed about Garrett, not before he came or after. I never saw Garrett play in high school,or prep school, just never got the chance. Others gushed relentlessly about Garrett and I recall you being one of the most frequent saying he was the key piece to the puzzle. You have me confused with others. I recall some saying they had seen him in prep school and he was a great 3 point shooter, but it wasn't me.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I'll back up what I said about Garrett even before he declared here.
He was an excellent 3 point shooter, and a very fine all
around PG.
Bet those trashing him loved him against PC, when he took it
to Dunn, all night.
Hassett said he was the only guy who made Dunn work,
all season.
He's a little over a third way through his sophomore season.
He has a good assist to turnover ration, the hallmark of a good PG.
Does he make mistakes? Does he drive into the trees on occasion?
Sure.
I will tell you that Hurley loves him, and for good reason.
Before he's through here in two more years,
he will have made his mark as one of the best point guards in
the modern era at URI.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Thats the thing, everyone is overly focused on his shooting percentages, but all around he has actually been pretty good this season.

If he wasn't being forced to carry more of the scoring load then expected my hunch is his overall numbers would be even better.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I was one of the ones who saw Garrett play a couple of games for ND Prep. I loved what I saw as a player and a leader. I'm also one that believes that basketball is no longer priority #1 in his life, nor should it be.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Obadiah wrote:Richmond did not pass muster in its game at Texas Tech, losing 85-70. Richmond scored the first basket and then Tech took over and was never headed,maxing its lead to as much as 20 points in the second half.

The game was at Texas Tech and the Red Raiders are 10-1 overall and an undefeated 8-0 at home. Richmond is now 8-4 but does have wins over Cal and Northern Iowa.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

78, agreed, but he still has a commitment to fulfill to his school and team.

He's going to have to find a way to do both, for 2+ more years here.

I'm sure it's not easy at such a young age. Actually, it's not easy at any age, to bring up a family, school, and work [in this case it's BB, but it requires a lot of time].
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:78, agreed, but he still has a commitment to fulfill to his school and team.

He's going to have to find a way to do both, for 2+ more years here.

I'm sure it's not easy at such a young age. Actually, it's not easy at any age, to bring up a family, school, and work [in this case it's BB, but it requires a lot of time].
I'm not questioning his commitment to basketball. I have no doubt he works his tail off and gives everything he's got when he's here. It's just taken a back seat to two children. This is not a Hare situation by any means. I still love this kid.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I know that, but didn't Dan call him [and Terrell and Hassan too] out for not "hitting the gym" enough?

Life happens. He obviously has good reasons not to "hit the gym" as much as he used to.

But it will affect his play.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

RF1 wrote:
Obadiah wrote:Richmond did not pass muster in its game at Texas Tech, losing 85-70. Richmond scored the first basket and then Tech took over and was never headed,maxing its lead to as much as 20 points in the second half.

The game was at Texas Tech and the Red Raiders are 10-1 overall and an undefeated 8-0 at home. Richmond is now 8-4 but does have wins over Cal and Northern Iowa.
Richmond has the start of a decent resume.
A win last night would have given them what appears would be a solid road win, but not the end of the world.
They are 3-4 against projected Top 100 teams, and 1-3 against projected Top 50 teams.
Not great, but compares well with other teams on the would-be bubble.
Compare them to a team like Indiana who projects to have a little higher RPI.
Indiana is only 2-2 against projected Top 100 teams, and 0-1 vs. the projected top 25.
The biggest difference is that it looks like Indiana will get around 4 Top 25 games during conference play.
Think by next Tuesday night, after 2 more tough games vs. St. Joes and at URI, it'll be a little easier to gauge Richmond's trajectory.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In Tuesday's action the A-10 went 3-3. Besides the Richmond outcome:

* GW got a nice road win at UCF, 67-50. After a close first stanza, GW took control in second half to win going away.

* Duquesne was edged at Georgia Tech, 73-67. The Dukes had the lead for the entire first half, but GT got control in the second half with the Dukes making a game of it to the very end.

* In two other conference wins, Saint Joseph's was not impressive in its home win over mediocre Maryland -Eastern Shore, 78-68, and only five points separated the teams deep into the second half and UMass struggled in its win over LIU, 83-79, and had to overcome a 10-point LIU lead in second half to get the win.

* Saint Louis managed to stay close in first half at K-State, but fell apart in second to lose big time, 75-47.

In OOC play, both ODU and Cleveland State won their games.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Four A-10 games on tap Wednesday night. In addition to URI at Brown. (On ESPN3):

* North Florida at VCU. 7 PM.

* Niagara at St. Bonaventure. 7 PM.

* Arkansas at Dayton. 8 PM. On CBS Sports. Arkansas has struggled in its OOC schedule and has not notched one win versus a top team yet. Dayton should grab a P5 win considering the Flyers have the home court advantage.

In OOC play:

* Houston at South Florida. 2 PM. On ESPNU.

* Northwestern at Nebraska. 4 PM. On ESPNU.

* Penn State at Maryland. 5 PM. On ESPN2.

* Hartford at Rider. 7 PM.

* Boston U. at Holy Cross. 7 PM.

* American at Loyola (MD). 7:30 PM.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Pierre plays his 1st game of the year for Dayton tonight.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:We need CT and Four to get hot....need more than one option, or teams will concentrate on stopping just one.
I remember ramster gushing about Garrett's shooting before he came here. And his BB IQ. :?: :?:
Rambone,
I never gushed about Garrett, not before he came or after. I never saw Garrett play in high school,or prep school, just never got the chance. Others gushed about Garrett and I recall you being one of the most frequent saying he was the key piece to the puzzle. I think you have me confused with others. I recall some saying they had seen him in prep school and he was a great 3 point shooter, but it wasn't me.
Rambone,
I went back and read through all 23 pages of the Jarvis Garrett Recruiting thread. Here is a summary of what was quite interesting. I know I need to get a life :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Page 6: Rod, Billyboy and Tom all saw Garrett play in person at the NPSI at RI College. All 3 were very impressed with Garrett's play. Billyboy especially impressed with Garrett's two handed passing and quick release in passing. All 3 were impressed by his 3 point shooting. Some saw him play more than one game. Garrett had some high scoring games and many 3 pointers made
Page 7: Iggy predicts URI for Garrett
Page 9: Iggy reiterates his prediction of URI for Garrett
Page 10: Garrett now is no longer announcing his selection for February 9th (a URI home game day). Board very depressed by this.
Page 11: Iggy says on February 6th that Garrett is not coming to URI
Page 13: Reports that Creighton is viewing Garrett at NPSI on Sunday. Several posters upset that URI Coaching staff is in NY for Fordham Game and not at NPSI continuing to recruit Garrett
Page 15: GoneBaronGone announces that Garrett has picked URI!!!! This is on February 25th.
Page 18: Comment made that this kind of attention can lead to job offerings for guys like Preston Murphy
Page 20: Garrett signs with URI on April 16th
Page 21: Preston Murphy announces going to Boston College on April 17th
Page 22: Garrett tweets that Terrell just signed with URI on May 16th

So it was an interesting and amazing thread to go back and re-read all 23 pages. Interesting that it ultimately came down to Creighton and URI as opposed to Marquette and Indiana who had also been in the picture. Also interesting after all this that Preston ended up going to Creighton from Boston College. We end up with Garrett AND Terrell when it looked like we would get neither, and Preston moves to BC and then again to Creighton.
Again, Rambone, it wasn't me gushing before he came to URI, I never saw Garrett play before coming to URI. I often attend the NPSI but did not that year. I'll depend on the opinions and observations of the posters who did. Having seen Garrett for 1.5 seasons now I think he has a very nice release and he squares up well to the basket for his 3 pointers. I would expect that we will see the 3 point shooting ability that he demonstrated at Prep School and at the NPSI. I would like to see him take more 3 pointers than he does as sometimes he passes them up maybe being a bit too unselfish. He generally takes the 3 when open and I don't tend to see him forcing up 3's.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The A-10 went 4-0 Wednesday evening. In addition to a depleted URI teams' stirring comeback win over Brown, other results were:

* VCU led all the way in beating North Florida, 80-68 Third straight win for the Southern Rams.

* St. Bonaventure in a win over a weak Niagara team, 82-68. Obscured by a weak OOC schedule, the question is how good is this Bonnies team? URI will get that answer in their Jan. 13 date in Olean.

* Dayton gets an overtime win over Arkansas. The Flyers started the game with high energy racing out to a 30-7, but then their defense deserted them and Arkansas was able to cut the margin to 4 at the half. Only a max of three to four points separated the teams the entire second half and Arkansas tied the game in regulation with a trey with one second on the clock. Dayton managed to hold on in the OT for the win. Dyshawn Pierre was back in action, came off the bench, played 33 minutes and contributed 11 points and 4 rebounds.

In OOC play:

* Houston gets a road win over South Florida, 73-67.

* Northwestern takes one from Nebraska, 81-72.

* #4 Maryland in a scare beats Penn State, 70-64. Maryland trailed for most of this game, showed poor shooting but was rescued by Diamond Stone's 39 points in the win.

* Rider grabs a 2OT win over Hartford, 82-80.

* In a second half comeback, Holy Cross blitzes Boston U. 80-64.

* American loses at Loyola (MD), 75-67.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Slim pickings on this New Year's Eve day with only two games involving URI opponents.

* La Salle at Florida Gulf Coast in a 1:30 PM game in Ft. Meyers. On ESPN 3.

* PC at Butler. 2:30 PM. On CBS Sport. Go Friars! Did I say that?
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Conference play begins! In Saturday action in the A-10 besides URI entertaining Saint Louis we have:

* Saint Joseph's at Richmond. 12:30 PM. On NBC Sports. The Hawks have won six straight and both of their losses coming in road games, so how they fare at the Spiders' den will tell us much about SJU as an A-10 contender.

* Dayton at Duquesne. 2:30 PM. On NBC Sports. The loss to Chattanooga has kept the Flyers out of the rankings, but that may change with a Dayton win in Pittsburgh.

* George Mason at VCU. 5 PM. On CBS Sports. VCU should get their fourth straight win.

* Davidson at St. Bonaventure. 8 PM. Davidson's three losses have come on the road and their only road win has been a smacking of Charlotte. A win at Reilly would provide a jet start to their conference schedule.

In OOC play:

* Houston at Temple. 12 Pm. On ESPNN.

* Charlotte pays a visit to Old Dominion. 12 PM.

* Holy Cross at Navy. 1 PM.

* Brown at Maine. 2 PM.

* Iona at Quinnipiac. 2 PM.

* UIC at Valparaiso. 2 PM. On ESPN3.

* Cleveland State at Oakland. 3 PM. On ESPN3.

* St. John's at PC. 3:30 PM. On FS1.

* TCU at Oklahoma State. 4 PM. On ESPNN.

* Indiana at Nebraska. 4 PM. On BTN.

* #4 Maryland at Northwestern. 8 PM. On BTN
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

You would think Providence is now one of the favorites to win the new Big East. Their 13-1 start and win at #9/10 Butler make them the real deal. I would expect many to jump on their bandwagon. They should have sellouts or near sellouts for the remainder of their home games starting with St. John's today. They will also start getting a lot more local and national media attention. They have played at a level which merits it.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yep. Good for them. Maybe one day we can have a similar season, or something approximate.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:You would think Providence is now one of the favorites to win the new Big East. Their 13-1 start and win at #9/10 Butler make them the real deal. I would expect many to jump on their bandwagon. They should have sellouts or near sellouts for the remainder of their home games starting with St. John's today. They will also start getting a lot more local and national media attention. They have played at a level which merits it.
I agree. Seems that Dunn has a much better supporting cast than originally anticipated.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RF1 wrote:You would think Providence is now one of the favorites to win the new Big East. Their 13-1 start and win at #9/10 Butler make them the real deal. I would expect many to jump on their bandwagon. They should have sellouts or near sellouts for the remainder of their home games starting with St. John's today. They will also start getting a lot more local and national media attention. They have played at a level which merits it.
The PC game with St. John's is a sellout. This despite the fact that it is during semester break and against one of the worst teams (along with Depaul) in the new Big East.

0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Who cares about PC attendance figures...our conf season starts today why is anyone talking about PC.
0 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

Houston up by 25 at temple
0 x
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

I'm guessing that because the title of this thread is games of interest, that people are commenting because they have interest.
0 x