Game 13: @ Brown University

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
jmck
Lamar Odom

Re: URI @ Brown 12/30

Unread post by jmck »

My thinking is that we get credit for a road win with the majority of the crowd on our side. I have been to Brown where we always shout down their fans, at Boston College where it does not take much to shout down their fans, at Northeastern where they have no fans, and the Dump where we are as loud or even louder than the PeeCee Criar fans. For giving up the home game against Providence, I would insist on 50% of the tickets and an A-10 ref crew. In a bubble type year, would four road victories of that sort tip the RPI needle in our favor? We can still host the Americans, Akrons, and Drexels of the world at the Ryan Center. Just trying to think outside the box, maybe I should be in a padded room. People thought that Jim Valvano was nuts for fouling to get the ball back when behind and see where it got him in 1983.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Word is, he's a great defender but can't hit the side of a barn.

We have enough of those.

I would think Dan is going to modify what he's looking for when it comes to future recruiting.

Of course, Jarvis was supposed to be a good shooter coming in. Terrell not so much.

So much is a crapshoot really, unless they are 5 stars.........which aren't coming here.

jmck, when we played 6 or so games a year at the Dunk during the short lived Harrick era, we averaged over 8000 I think. Those were for better opponents of course.

Times have changed though.
0 x
Optimistic
Kenny Green

Unread post by Optimistic »

Anyone who's ready to give up on Terrell is an idiot. Stop being so reactionary.
0 x
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
This one just came out of the swamp
This one dropped a payload
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

JT and JG are going through a sophomore slump - not unexpected. JG is a good shooter, his shot will come around and it will make everyone else better when he is back to being the offensive threat he was at the end of last year. Good momentum going into conference play, winning a tight one down the stretch. I think we still have a shot to be top 4 in the league. Looking back at the games we lost, other than ODU the other teams were unconscious from the stripe. That will even out as the year goes on and this team should be successful.
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

My thoughts on the game last night:

-The gym was small but packed. Lots of Rhody fans, many of the same faces I see at the Ryan Center. EZbuckets was holing it down as usual. A couple of the other regulars started off the chants (Kid in the blue suit. Are you on this board?). I sat 3 bleachers up from the behind the hoop. We were so close I felt I could reach my arm out to the players. It was a nice change for game.

-The freshman class was on point. It was really great to see all of them make some important plays. Akele is great with his arms and knows how to use them. With more experience he is going to be causing problems for opponents. Not a bad shot either. Thompson was great. I really like this kid. He made some freshman mistakes and Dan was all over him. He didn't let it get him down. He rolled with it and made some clutch baskets. I was really happy for Berry. He grabbed that rebound in overtime like a boss. The chant was for Berry was awesome. I'm pretty sure my brother started the chant but the whole arena chanted Berry. The whole bench was excited for it. I watched EC, Iverson, and Hassan goofing on it. It seems like everybody was proud of the kid.

- Watson, 11 rebounds. Some foul trouble but overall good effort.

- Four, 33 points. Hit some tough contested 3s. That's his game. He missed more driving to the hoop. Keep him shooting 3s. When he's hot, he's hot.

- Jarvis played an ok game. The shooting could be better. I think he is in a funk. Had a couple of turnovers, no biggy. Had some nice assists.

- Jared. He is better than how he has been playing. I'm not sure what is up with him but he has been in a funk nearly all season. He has the talent, and at times the passion, but at other times seems tired or not with it.

- DH. The biggest surprise of the night wasn't the 15 point deficit we came out of, the Berry rebound, the 33 points from Four. No. It was Dan Hurley not receiving a technical. The refs were fucking horrible. Just trash. Hurley let them know what he thought. He was all over them and for good reason. I was surprised he didn't get the technical. I was amped up myself. I felt bad for the parents of the little kids sitting next to us. My mouth said a lot of things I'm sure was suitable for their age. If you're reading this, sorry.

- Thoughts going forward. This team is gritty. There are moments of greatness and they need to just put it together. There is no go to guy on this team and that's fine. Every game they need to find the 1 or 2 players who are playing hot and run with it. If someone is in a funk, put in one of the freshman to pick the weight up. I still think this team can be top 5 in the A-10. Last night was a fun game to watch. I was excited with the come back. Yes it's Brown, but you know what, fuck it. Like the rest of you, I would love some games where we just blow out opponents and don't have to sit at the edge of my seat the whole game. But there is something to be said for watching a team who you think is down and out to rally and play it out.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Kudos to berry! You don't need to dunk to be effective. You could notice the soft hands during the scrimmage and garbage time. Great to get the W and stretch the bench. 2 good shooting games in a row for 4? Let's hope so! See you saturday!
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Huge gut win last night, the type of win that can change the course of a season or not. Remains to be seen.

Love the progression from our FR, all three should be parts of the rotation even when we have everyone back and hopefully this emergency usage reaps dividends down the road. Concerning that Four's shooting and the microwave of energy and output we got from Berry are not sustainable, especially in A10 play. JG, JT and Hass when he's back will continue to determine our fate and we need more especially from the first two, given Hass is out tbd amount of time.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Say what you want about Jarvis, but when he's not in the game we look completely lost with little or no energy. He is undoubtedly our only spark plug.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

For the record. Four's 33 points last night,
were the most in the Hurley era,since X had 32 vs. the Bonnies
a couple of years ago.
It's also the most since Jamal Wilson's
38 vs. GMU in CFL's last year.
There's a kid who really got screwed by CFL for his
entire career.
He had talent, but for some reason, CFL didn't like him.
Dan tried to get him a waiver to play another year,
but it was turned down by the NCAA.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RAM67 wrote:Say what you want about Jarvis, but when he's not in the game we look completely lost with little or no energy. He is undoubtedly our only spark plug.
And no one goes harder after a loose ball on the floor than he does either...
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I loved J Wilson his sophomore year when he came back I think against maybe St Joes??? Everyone looked lost and Wilson was confident. Also he was a wonderful athlete in defense and all those things.

I hope there aren't people here that are asking themselves how we replace Four next year!!>>?? That is ridiculous.

Ive been thinking about how special EC Matthews truly is when you consider his freshman year taking up the second scorer's role next to Munford for a formidable 1-2 punch at like 17 years old, which we haven't seen in anyone. Then Munford leaves(He has proven he is quite the scorer and was snubbed by All A10 teams) And EC steps right into the #1 role in his sophomore role scoring 16ppg with injuries. Its hard to be consistently the #1 guy. Plus not be a drop off on defense and rebounding. Kid is great.

Good health next year and this team has the stable full.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

What a coincidence that Wilson and Malone were suspended
just as Billy was becoming eligible.
Awful and unjust, in order to give Billy their playing time.
After being smothered deep on the bench for all those years,
Wilson was showing what he could have been.
Then CFL cut him.
Disgraceful.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Baron never like Wilson from day 1. It was obvious. Too bad the kid could have been very good. Anyone know what became of him?

Another question, does anyone know what the refs were trying to figure out between the end of regulation and OT? There was a delay of at least 5 minutes, they were looking at the monitor etc. What was that all about? I was streaming but not listening.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Just watched a replay of the game on ESPN3 with these thoughts:

* Nice Rhody crowd at the game and a testament to what a classy and devoted fan base we have. Understanding it was a hobbled squad taking the floor, the crowd shouted strong encouragement from beginning to end.

* URI stumbled in early part of game as they adjusted to the new lineup. But then they seemed to right themselves and appeared ready to take command, but the last 90 seconds of the first half, marked by a Terrell air ball and a foul, was a disaster sending Brown off the floor at the half with momentum.

* Brown built its 15 point lead on on some torrid shooting combined with Ram defensive lapses not typical of a Hurley team - so many uncontested Brown lay-ups.

* Down 15 points and given the looks of defeat on the Ram faces, their comeback was remarkable and clearly driven when Hurley trashed that stool in the TO. The comeback was simply based on better shooting than the first half's terrible 35%.

* The best point guard on the floor was Brown's Tavon Blackmon. One facet of good point guard is his ability to draw fouls and hit the FT's . Blackmon was 10 for 10 in this respect whereas Garrett was 0 for 1 with the miss of a front end of a one and one coming at a critical time.

* Garrett did make a beautiful pass to Akele for a potential game winning lay-up that was thwarted by a Jason Massey block.

* In the first half, Terrell had a beautiful reverse lay-up and made a nifty transition basket, but apart from those plays his overall game was horrendous. One reason he had so many shots blocked is they were poor shot selections in the first place. This kid needs to work on focus. Or else maybe it's time for him to come off the bench.

* Bad officiating, but the calls were bad both ways and the crew was totally inept in handling the review at end of regulation.

* Great win especially given the circumstances and its importance to the team's mentality.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Obadiah wrote:* Bad officiating, but the calls were bad both ways and the crew was totally inept in handling the review at end of regulation.
The lengthy review was one of the strangest things I've seen in quite some time. The best part about watching it on ESPN3 was Scott Cordishi, who did the play-by-play, leaving dead air for a bit so he could scream at the officials (paraphrasing), "Are you guys kidding? It wasn't even close!" His mic picked it up; it was classic. Someone needed to say it.
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Lots of talk about the play of 3 freshmen.. Berry is not a freshman. He is a sophomore. Left J C after 1 year.. Glad to see him contribute.. Happy for him. But don't see him being a major part of the hoped for success of this team in the future.. He has some skills but does not appear to be athletic enough to play in Hurley's preferred style.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Normally I'd be pissed about going to OTagainst Brown. But a great win with a sadly depleted roster. We used to play a few home games at the Dunk each yeah. Harri ck loved it there. It never felt lime home. And fans turned out when the team won, stayed away in bad seasons. The more things change ...
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

JG was exhausted the last 10-15 minutes of the game. He plays hard and played 42 minutes last night. Give the kid a break.
0 x
Surfri72
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Surfri72 »

We played some fun games at the civic center but that's history now. No Ryan Center is the only reason Harrick liked it.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

[quote="Obadiah"]Just watched a replay of the game on ESPN3 with these thoughts:

* Nice Rhody crowd at the game and a testament to what a classy and devoted fan base we have. Understanding it was a hobbled squad taking the floor, the crowd shouted strong encouragement from beginning to end.
quote]

It was a great Rhody crowd...seemed as loud as it gets at the Ry sometimes (might be based on where we sit there though). I think the coach really appreciated the support - we got there early and he came over and spoke to us, thanked us for coming out in support. Most have probably seen this, but this seemed pretty decent, too:

Dan Hurley ✔ @dhurley15
We won tonight because our guys didn't quit.They kept fighting.And because our great fans gave us a huge lift emotionally.Thank you!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Obadiah wrote:Just watched a replay of the game on ESPN3 with these thoughts:

quote]

It was a great Rhody crowd...seemed as loud as it gets at the Ry sometimes (might be based on where we sit there though). I think the coach really appreciated the support - we got there early and he came over and spoke to us, thanked us for coming out in support. Most have probably seen this, but this seemed pretty decent, too:

Dan Hurley ✔ @dhurley15
We won tonight because our guys didn't quit.They kept fighting.And because our great fans gave us a huge lift emotionally.Thank you!
Keep up the fight NYG!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

jmck wrote:My thinking is that we get credit for a road win with the majority of the crowd on our side. I have been to Brown where we always shout down their fans, at Boston College where it does not take much to shout down their fans, at Northeastern where they have no fans, and the Dump where we are as loud or even louder than the PeeCee Criar fans. For giving up the home game against Providence, I would insist on 50% of the tickets and an A-10 ref crew. In a bubble type year, would four road victories of that sort tip the RPI needle in our favor? We can still host the Americans, Akrons, and Drexels of the world at the Ryan Center. Just trying to think outside the box, maybe I should be in a padded room. People thought that Jim Valvano was nuts for fouling to get the ball back when behind and see where it got him in 1983.
I vote for padded room...for giving up 4 home games for anything...
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Optimistic wrote:Anyone who's ready to give up on Terrell is an idiot. Stop being so reactionary.
Agreed!!! if I could agree more than 100% I would, the same goes for Garrett in my book. These guys are exhausted, playing 34-38 minutes, usually hard core, balls out. I can't remember 3 times in four seasons when there was a loose ball that could be fought for where someone on the team didn't get down for it, effort is almost never the problem with DH's teams and specific to JT, he's clearly quite gifted, there's no reason to believe he won't continue to refine his talents.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agreed, we go nowhere this year or next without JG and JT being critical pieces. Not sure who said anything about transferring or suggested either is losing PT, we are up shits creek if that is the case...that said we need more from both of them to salvage this season.
0 x
Bri234u
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Bri234u »

Anyone else enjoy the lack of deafening music at the game last night? I could actually have a normal conversation about the game with fans sitting around me.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

When things got desperate and the players stopped following DH's game plan, we came back. DH is like most coaches - a control freak. Next game will begin the same way as it did at Brown - forcing the ball down inside to Earl and no outside shooting until the shot clock is expiring. DH doesn't believe we can win an uptempo game with a short bench.

The reason JT and JG are shooting so poorly is the style of offense we are playing.

AB gives us a presence inside. Play with a little more zone when he is in the game early. We can guard tighter on the perimeter with AB underneath. Let him soak up some fouls while EW gets a blow. I want defense and rebounding from EW - not offense.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I will agree with one thing you said 72.

Garrett and Terrell are better playing a faster paced game.

When Hassan and KI come back, we need to try to force the pace more.

I think we will finally see more of that type of game next season, with a full roster.

The experience that Berry and the freshmen will get the rest of this season, should really help them next season.

Of course, we said that about JG and JT last year, but as of now they haven't improved like was expected after the experience they gained. Maybe next year.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:I will agree with one thing you said 72.

Garrett and Terrell are better playing a faster paced game.

When Hassan and KI come back, we need to try to force the pace more.

I think we will finally see more of that type of game next season, with a full roster.

The experience that Berry and the freshmen will get the rest of this season, should really help them next season.

Of course, we said that about JG and JT last year, but as of now they haven't improved like was expected after the experience they gained. Maybe next year.
Still not sure why "next year's full roster" (before the season even starts) is any more certain than "this year's full roster" was (before this season started)? Stuff happens every year. Gotta play with the hand you're dealt and believe in the art of the current year possible... Fortunately, have a very good coach to get them through stuff like this. GO Rhody!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well, this year, we don't have a full roster, due to being shorthanded before the season even began, and now even more shorthanded due to injuries.

Yes, it's not certain we will have 13 healthy bodies next season, but we will have more than 10 scholarship players.

If not then we will be in the same predicament we are this season. It's not going to happen.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I don't see why that 13 is any more certain for next year than it was for this year. Did anyone know, in December 2014 that, there would only be 10 scholarship players in December 2015?

I'm thinking focus on this year's great story and think about next year when it comes...it's a long way away and there are absolutely no guarantees things will be any better/different at all.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Um, just what "great story" is that?
Did I miss something?
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

After watching the replay on ESPN3, I'm not convinced the game should have gone into overtime. Did anyone else watch the replay that had the official time displayed. There are times when the official time is not always synced up with the red light on the backboard. The replay with the official game clock showed Watson getting the rebound with a second left and showed the ball through the net wit 0.1 seconds left. The pay that makes it tricky is that it appears that the clock slowed down or stopped at 0.1. Glad we pulled put the win nonetheless.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

This year's story - the one that's happening now.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Great story? I suppose there's a chance.

But not a good one.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Never give up on a season entirely, oh no not me or any of you, we all know better. Even when we think we've reached a point and get a little apathetic we still tune in, check box scores, stats, etc. we always give them a chance to sweep us off our feet. If this year turns out to be, lets say a 'Temple' like story where they have an up and down OOC with battle wounds to show for it, but in reality it gets them ready to do battle in the A10 and they rise to the top, well then that's a fine story, I might just say. So far the narrative is not that compelling, although this particular game was a highly entertaining story.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RR, of course.

We're fans, we will always keep track of how they are doing. I might not be happy, but I will still watch and/or listen.....

It would be great if somehow they get it together and exceed [what is now] lower expectations.

Need Hassan back really soon though. It looks like he's still a week or so away.

KI imo will play some tomorrow. St. Louis isn't very good, but we still need him.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I disagree about Berry not being a piece. He's only a somphore and ARD said after the game he's got the best touch on the team already. He has lost a ton of weight and that will continue. He has shown he has some nice post skills and can finish. Improve his weaknesses and I like his potential.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I agree on Berry. I thought watching his film from JC that he had good hands and feet. Needs some work to be a good player still, but his body was the biggest thing and he's improved that already. I'm hopeful that he ends up being a solid contributor for us.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:I agree on Berry. I thought watching his film from JC that he had good hands and feet. Needs some work to be a good player still, but his body was the biggest thing and he's improved that already. I'm hopeful that he ends up being a solid contributor for us.
Great hands. ... and feet when under the hoop/boarding...but needs to be right under the basket...kinda easy to get by on D. Smooth under the hoop though, saw that during the game and was reinforced watching the replay.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I thought Berry showed that he deserves more playing time....he was not totally lost out there and showed some good things...

...I also think Thompson will turn out to be quite a player for us.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I hope they are working on Thompsons handle and slashing ability because he already has an awesome shot.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Some people on this board prefer guys to launch 3's and people in general do prefer the 3ball. I lean toward a big guy's game.

If you don't think Berry can camp out on the opposite side of the rim and pin his guy down rebounding everything that comes long off the rim I do not agree with you. Its easier for the shooters when they know it will get cleaned up. Berry snatches the ball high up without jumping. I would be interested in his reach against the other bigs we have. I wouldn't doubt that it is among the highest. Give the kid 8-10 minutes a game. He got up and down the floor just fine. His defense wasn't great but that rebound he snatched was pivotal.

I also think the fact Berry had a good showing against Brown's Kuakumensah is worth something. That Kuakumensah is obviously good at multiple things.

Rod, Baron did that to Wilson and Malone. It was too bad. Also ran off Mejia.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Wilson should have transferred after his freshman year.
Could have had a nice career somewhere else.
It was pretty obvious that CFL was never going to
give him a chance to shine.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Agree.

I wonder how Iverson is reacting to his first real setback here since coming on board. I hope he gets more hungry and focused.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Some people on this board prefer guys to launch 3's and people in general do prefer the 3ball. I lean toward a big guy's game.

If you don't think Berry can camp out on the opposite side of the rim and pin his guy down rebounding everything that comes long off the rim I do not agree with you. Its easier for the shooters when they know it will get cleaned up. Berry snatches the ball high up without jumping. I would be interested in his reach against the other bigs we have. I wouldn't doubt that it is among the highest. Give the kid 8-10 minutes a game. He got up and down the floor just fine. His defense wasn't great but that rebound he snatched was pivotal.

I also think the fact Berry had a good showing against Brown's Kuakumensah is worth something. That Kuakumensah is obviously good at multiple things.

Rod, Baron did that to Wilson and Malone. It was too bad. Also ran off Mejia.
100% agree Berry earned 8-10m a game at least in the short term with his effort the other night.....we lose if not for his key rebounds and soft scoring touch under the hoop at the Pizz.
Last edited by hrstrat57 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

First game in a week, exhaustion shouldn't have been an issue. I don't know how style of offense can be blamed for shooting %'s, plenty of open looks being missed outside and inside. Still high on Garrett, he's forcing it and not shooting well but I still see an upward trajectory. Feeling different about Terrell. I'm not saying he won't improve, I certainly hope he does but the player he is now looks more like a future role player and less like a critical piece.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

This game actually picked up my spirits a bit, even if it was against Brown. When we were down 15 in the second half, that is where I thought our season was. But the fight back was really something. With players we didn't even expect to play much this year. That is fighting against adversity like Dayton did last year. There is hope, but the opponents from now on are much better than we met OOC, save for a few.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Never give up the ship until it's over! Brooklyn and beyond!
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

JG and JT just need to be consistent. It was just a month ago they were lights out against PC. And JT played great against ODU in the second half.
Glad A-10 play is here.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Hear hear.. A10 and a clean slate !
0 x