Game 13: @ Brown University

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Game 13: @ Brown University

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Should be interesting to see what happens with the latest personnel configuration.
Have faith that DH can/will figure this out.
What is the facility like there at Brown? Any parking?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: URI @ Brown 12/30

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Should be interesting to see what happens with the latest personnel configuration.
NYG,
Here are directions from the South:
From the South: Take 95 North into Rhode Island. Once in Providence, take Branch Avenue (Exit 24). Turn right onto Branch Avenue and proceed to the traffic light. Cross the intersection and go up Cypress Street to the light at Hope Street. Turn right onto Hope Street. Bear left at the fork and make a left turn onto Lloyd Avenue. The entrance to the Athletic Complex is the third driveway on the right.

Facility is small holding just under 3000. In past years when I went to URI at Brown during the Holidays the place was not sold out and seating was easy - I doubt things will be any different this year especially with Brown not having a good year and URI with injuries.

Parking in the Brown lots is free and should be easy with school out and a Holiday week.

I for sure have faith in DH.
Will be interesting to see what he does with the starting line up against Brown.
4 guards and Iverson?
Iverson and Akele down low? Iverson and Watson down low?
Does Thompson take a starting role from McGlynn?

Last game before Conference Starts.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Should be interesting to see what happens with the latest personnel configuration.
NYG,
Here are directions from the South:
From the South: Take 95 North into Rhode Island. Once in Providence, take Branch Avenue (Exit 24). Turn right onto Branch Avenue and proceed to the traffic light. Cross the intersection and go up Cypress Street to the light at Hope Street. Turn right onto Hope Street. Bear left at the fork and make a left turn onto Lloyd Avenue. The entrance to the Athletic Complex is the third driveway on the right.

Facility is small holding just under 3000. In past years when I went to URI at Brown during the Holidays the place was not sold out and seating was easy - I doubt things will be any different this year especially with Brown not having a good year and URI with injuries.

Parking in the Brown lots is free and should be easy with school out and a Holiday week.

I for sure have faith in DH.
Will be interesting to see what he does with the starting line up against Brown.
4 guards and Iverson?
Iverson and Akele down low? Iverson and Watson down low?
Does Thompson take a starting role from McGlynn?

Last game before Conference Starts.
Thanks for the info -
Agree with the lineup assessment...one thing I do fear slightly is...Four actually having the type of game against this level of talent that he won't be able to replicate in A10 play, building false confidence. It would be great to see him knock a few down, but...I think he may have already shown, depending on level of competition, he can't always get his shot off.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Agree with the McGlynn observation and add this. The reported reasons for McGlynn leaving both the Vermont and Towson programs was his desire for more PT. Here is view of McGlynn from the college basketball blog, One Bid Wonders, prior to his committing to URI.

"As a one year transfer learning a new system, especially one with limited foot speed and run-and-jump athleticism, it’s hard to see McGlynn playing a larger role than a microwave player providing long range shooting off the bench.

If McGlynn is looking to go somewhere to win, and willing to embrace a supporting role, he’ll have a lot of choices. If he’s looking to go somewhere and be “the man”, he’s going to be left with very limited offers from lower-tier low-major programs."

McGlynn confirmed the blog's assessment by accepting an offer to become the "microwave" player off the bench for Dan Hurley's Rams. Then EC's unfortunate injury presented McGlynn with a starting role and the increase in PT he always sought. His ambition in this respect was most likely fueled by his AAU coach father and in CBB we have no shortage of fathers with outsized ambitions for their sons, but that doesn't escape the question how has McGlynn done with it so far???
A glance at the stats and the eye test in a season 40% complete provide the answer.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

There is not much off street parking nearby. Brown even got rid of the small lot in front of the entrance as most of that area between Pizzatola, Meehan, and the swim center is now green space. It is easier to find a spot on the street in my view. There are two very small lots off behind the gym on Lloyd Ave over by the soccer field but I would imagine they will fill up fast.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote:Agree with the McGlynn observation and add this. The reported reasons for McGlynn leaving both the Vermont and Towson programs was his desire for more PT. Here is view of McGlynn from the college basketball blog, One Bid Wonders, prior to his committing to URI.

"As a one year transfer learning a new system, especially one with limited foot speed and run-and-jump athleticism, it’s hard to see McGlynn playing a larger role than a microwave player providing long range shooting off the bench.

If McGlynn is looking to go somewhere to win, and willing to embrace a supporting role, he’ll have a lot of choices. If he’s looking to go somewhere and be “the man”, he’s going to be left with very limited offers from lower-tier low-major programs."

McGlynn confirmed the blog's assessment by accepting an offer to become the "microwave" player off the bench for Dan Hurley's Rams. Then EC's unfortunate injury presented McGlynn with a starting role and the increase in PT he always sought. His ambition in this respect was most likely fueled by his AAU coach father and in CBB we have no shortage of fathers with outsized ambitions for their sons, but that doesn't escape the question how has McGlynn done with it so far???
A glance at the stats and the eye test in a season 40% complete provide the answer.
Thanks for the insight!
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Pizz is nice it's a good take. I usually try to make this one but this year will be dicey....
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

With Hass and EC out, where do you think the line would be?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote:With Hass and EC out, where do you think the line would be?
About 15' from the baseline on either end? ;)
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I would guess URI -4
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

This will be the last chance for URI to win a true road game in the OOC. URI has only won once away from the Ryan Center thus far in the OOC - vs TCU at a neutral site in the Cancun Challenge.
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

Obadiah wrote: McGlynn confirmed the blog's assessment by accepting an offer to become the "microwave" player off the bench for Dan Hurley's Rams. Then EC's unfortunate injury presented McGlynn with a starting role and the increase in PT he always sought. His ambition in this respect was most likely fueled by his AAU coach father and in CBB we have no shortage of fathers with outsized ambitions for their sons, but that doesn't escape the question how has McGlynn done with it so far???
Is there any actual evidence of this? Or is this your ridiculous theory?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

15 Year Lurker wrote:
Obadiah wrote: McGlynn confirmed the blog's assessment by accepting an offer to become the "microwave" player off the bench for Dan Hurley's Rams. Then EC's unfortunate injury presented McGlynn with a starting role and the increase in PT he always sought. His ambition in this respect was most likely fueled by his AAU coach father and in CBB we have no shortage of fathers with outsized ambitions for their sons, but that doesn't escape the question how has McGlynn done with it so far???
Not sure I'd call it 'ridiculous'....
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Isn't it in the blog?

Throttle Brown.

Team has had a long lay off. They should come out sharp. Execute and be in good physical shape.

Kind of like a minicamp before the A10 season starts and an exhibition against Brown to tune up. Sure it was planned that way.

Wonder if Hassan feels better? its been a week.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
15 Year Lurker wrote:
Not sure I'd call it 'ridiculous'....
I think this is the blog being referred to:
http://www.onebidwonders.com/2015/03/11 ... asketball/
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

[/quote]

Not sure I'd call it 'ridiculous'....[/quote]

I was referring to the assumption about his father and if there was actually one piece of evidence about that other than him being an aau coach and assuming that is how all aau coaches are...which they aren't. I mean I can just make up guesses about everything it doesn't mean it's close to the truth.
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

And this team is where they are right now because they can't make free throws. That's the bottom line. They play good defense. Four has played well when Terrell hasn't offensively. Terrell and Jarvis have shot well when four hasn't. But they'd have one loss of they were a good free throw shooting team but they aren't..so they're going to lose a lot more close ones. It sucks.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

15 Year Lurker wrote:And this team is where they are right now because they can't make free throws. That's the bottom line. They play good defense. Four has played well when Terrell hasn't offensively. Terrell and Jarvis have shot well when four hasn't. But they'd have one loss of they were a good free throw shooting team but they aren't..so they're going to lose a lot more close ones. It sucks.
I wouldn't put it all on FT shooting, we are not a good shooting team overall and not good in assists either.
Through 40% of schedule among A10 teams:
14th FT @ 62.1%
9th FG @ 43.3%
10th 3FG @ 33.2%
13th ASSISTS @ 11.3 per game
13th Assist/Turnover ratio

Lots of room for improvement in all offensive categories
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Not such a shocking development when you take into account that your best offensive player played 10 minutes of the season. I know most of the posters do not want to hear this but it cannot be overlooked.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Still a lotta hoops to be hooped...opportunity still there to do better than last year.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Still a lotta hoops to be hooped...opportunity still there to do better than last year.
I rate that opportunity at about 1%.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Much that can happen between now and then, but...get to the finals in Brooklyn = better than last year.
Hopefully, by then, this team will be coached up to 'anything can happen'.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

eli#10 wrote:Not such a shocking development when you take into account that your best offensive player played 10 minutes of the season. I know most of the posters do not want to hear this but it cannot be overlooked.
You owe a dollar�
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Still a lotta hoops to be hooped...opportunity still there to do better than last year.
I rate that opportunity at about 1%.
you mean there's a chance?
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I'll pay the dollar but I get frustrated when I see posts that denigrate the team and its statistics. Everyone agrees that every Ram that takes the floor plays very hard but there are deficiencies that are very difficult to overcome. There is no question watching the free throw misses is aggravating and they have to ease off the throttle a little on defense since they are shorthanded.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

eli#10 wrote:I'll pay the dollar but I get frustrated when I see posts that denigrate the team and its statistics. Everyone agrees that every Ram that takes the floor plays very hard but there are deficiencies that are very difficult to overcome. There is no question watching the free throw misses is aggravating and they have to ease off the throttle a little on defense since they are shorthanded.
I agree with you. In Several of our losses we shot FTs well. I'm still optimistic for the A10 seasn but our remaining core 3 must step up their play much like Martin did with his 27 point production. Last loss JT was 7-8 and JG was 8-8 on FTs but we still lost. It's more than FTs.
It's a big adjustment to life without EC, but also must have players step up.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I see where our number of assists per game aren't very good.

That's because good passes are made, but the open shots at the end of them aren't being made.

There's no one thing that we're bad at on offense.

We're bad on a lot of things.

Just about every A10 game is going to be a struggle. Without Hassan, we're really not that much better than the lower half of the league.

And people can piss all they want about that comment. It's the truth, and it will be borne out real soon. It will NOT surprise me, to see us lose to any team on our conference schedule.

Next year can't get here fast enough.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:I see where our number of assists per game aren't very good.

That's because good passes are made, but the open shots at the end of them aren't being made.

There's no one thing that we're bad at on offense.

We're bad on a lot of things.

Just about every A10 game is going to be a struggle. Without Hassan, we're really not that much better than the lower half of the league.

And people can piss all they want about that comment. It's the truth, and it will be borne out real soon. It will NOT surprise me, to see us lose to any team on our conference schedule.

Next year can't get here fast enough.
And, it will not surprise me to see them beat any team on the schedule...just wait 'til Brooklyn....
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Not without Hassan. The top teams anyway.

If we are going to finish above .500 in the league, Hassan needs to come back and play well, and soon. No more than 2-3 games into the schedule, tops.

Maybe we have a puncher's chance in NY. Maybe.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Not without Hassan. The top teams anyway.

If we are going to finish above .500 in the league, Hassan needs to come back and play well, and soon. No more than 2-3 games into the schedule, tops.

Maybe we have a puncher's chance in NY. Maybe.
That's all they need, really. And there's no way you can say now...before a single conference game...that they don't have a puncher's chance...
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Coming from W Kingston...live VERY close to a RIPTA stop...is that a better option than trying to drive in to Providence at that time of day and trying to find parking?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Coming from W Kingston...live VERY close to a RIPTA stop...is that a better option than trying to drive in to Providence at that time of day and trying to find parking?

Come on man, your CT colors are showing.....Providence is not that difficult to navigate, assuming you have not been to the Dump for our game.....even that is an OK trip....go by car and pack a lunch and stay over in Warwick if needed...
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

hahaha
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

.500 record in conference play? No way it would be that low
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

To convince me to that we have a shot to be better then last year (which I don't believe at all) we have to win out until GW. This team is way too inconsistent, we have no idea what's going to happen each game. That's not a sign of a conference championship team. With our lack of depth and scoring we aren't going to beat the best teams in the A10. In Brooklyn we are going to have to beat the best teams on back to back nights. Last time we played on back to back nights we got spanked by 30 to a team that barely beat teams worse than us.

We need to form a new identity on defense. Guys have been lighting us up lately and we need to press. So we may give up some easy layups but lets get this guys some open looks and steals and get them some confidence on the offensive end. I just don't like the vibe of this team right now. Hurley looks defeated and it's not in conference play yet. If you told me I'd be worried that we would lose to Brown before this season started I'd call you crazy... Not anymore. Rhody by 4.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Coming from W Kingston...live VERY close to a RIPTA stop...is that a better option than trying to drive in to Providence at that time of day and trying to find parking?
Traffic will be light because it is a holiday week. Schools closed. People taking vacation time. No problem to drive
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Does Brown have a message board?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote:Does Brown have a message board?

Yes. It however has very little activity:

http://boards.basketball-u.com/showforum.php?fid/38/
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

studs06, you basically summed up my feelings also.

We might upset a good team or two, but we're going to lose to teams that before the season started, I wouldn't have thought possible.

If we're going to at least have a decent season, Hass has to come back soon and play well. Neither is a given.

It's a shame. From the coach on down, you get the impression that they've been beaten down.

I think we're looking at a 17-18 win season. NO ONE would have thought that was possible a few weeks ago.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:studs06, you basically summed up my feelings also.

We might upset a good team or two, but we're going to lose to teams that before the season started, I wouldn't have thought possible.

If we're going to at least have a decent season, Hass has to come back soon and play well. Neither is a given.

It's a shame. From the coach on down, you get the impression that they've been beaten down.

I think we're looking at a 17-18 win season. NO ONE would have thought that was possible a few weeks ago.
And THAT is how the college hoops roller coaster crumbles! And also, what makes it so freekn awesome... :!:
Not time to yet fret, yet, Atticus!
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

I have always given Hurley a B+/A- as a game coach.....He will win the games he can, with the limitations he has.

I know we will have depth next year, but I am tired of the continual position Hurley puts himself in, with the lack of depth. This has been a repeating story now.

I am hoping for a Brown win and 9-9 in conference.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Time for this team to start making us fans, rather than the fans making this a team.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

CTRamfan wrote:I have always given Hurley a B+/A- as a game coach.....He will win the games he can, with the limitations he has.

I know we will have depth next year, but I am tired of the continual position Hurley puts himself in, with the lack of depth. This has been a repeating story now.

I am hoping for a Brown win and 9-9 in conference.
Huh? 8 wins, 14, 23...halfway through year 4...and you give him an A-/B+ But, you are 'tired of the continual position...repeating story....' Continual and repeating since when exactly?

From last year to year one, where they almost tripled their win total?
Or, since last year, when they increased their win total by 64% over the previous year?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well, this year, they aren't going to increase their win total, due to many factors, none of which are good.

So there's that......
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Well, this year, they aren't going to increase their win total, due to many factors, none of which are good.

So there's that......
That's not even for certain yet, but if it does happen.... I guess that would be continual and tiresome, for one whole years in a row... :lol:
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:Well, this year, they aren't going to increase their win total, due to many factors, none of which are good.

So there's that......
That's not even for certain yet, but if it does happen.... I guess that would be continual and tiresome, for one whole years in a row... :lol:
"LACK OF DEPTH"

I thought most people here could read a complete sentence before typing away.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

CTRamfan wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:

So there's that......
"LACK OF DEPTH"

I thought most people here could read a complete sentence before typing away.
Sorry, complete sentence was: I know we will have depth next year, but I am tired of the continual position Hurley puts himself in, with the lack of depth. This has been a repeating story now.

I'm trying to figure out how you go from 8 to 14 to 23 wins in a 'continual position of lack of depth' and how that is a 'repeating story'?

And seriously, I hope you're right, but is 'next year's depth' really any more of a certainty than 'this year's depth' was on November 12...?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It had better be.

We will finally have a 12-13 man roster with possibly a 9-10 man rotation.

That's if everybody shows up and are healthy.

It would also be nice if at least 2 of the bigs and Dowtin can show some game among the new recruits. This season, our 2 frosh have shown potential.

Keep it going, and we might have something at last.......
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I'm not expecting any miracles here.

And again, believe it or not, if and when we lose to a bottom feeder in conference, I'm not going to get too worked up over it.

There will be people on this board who will be shocked when it happens. [Losing to a team like Fordham that is]

I won't be. And others too.
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

Fordham almost had us at home last year (a year we were arguably better so far) so I wouldn't be too surprised either.
0 x