Game 13: @ Brown University

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: URI @ Brown 12/30

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote:I disagree about Berry not being a piece. He's only a somphore and ARD said after the game he's got the best touch on the team already. He has lost a ton of weight and that will continue. He has shown he has some nice post skills and can finish. Improve his weaknesses and I like his potential.
Before this game posters were questioning why Berry was even on the team.
Very different story after the Brown game.
ARD was very proud of Berry as was the entire team and all the URI fans in attendance.
ARD said Berry had dropped from 320 to 280 since September.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bri234u wrote:Anyone else enjoy the lack of deafening music at the game last night? I could actually have a normal conversation about the game with fans sitting around me.
Interesting point. I had not noticed until you brought it up.
The atmosphere did seem like a throwback to a different era.

One of,the most memorable points of the game came from the fans chanting Berry, Berry, Berry, Berry.....
You have to wonder if that chant would have ever happened had the game beed played at the Ryan. Would t shirt throws, music, electronic score board, loudspeaker yelling, etc have kept the URI fandom from even coming up,with the idea for a Berry chant? Good question.
Maybe 1200 to 1500 URI Kearney Blue dressed fans at the game and they were more enthusiastic than any group at the Ryan this year. Closer to the court? No load music and artificial distractions? More focus by all on the game itself?
It was a very enjoyable experience for sure, win or lose.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:Four made up for Terrell's bad game. Got to ride him when he's hot.

Thompson's offense is needed, despite his defense :?: :?: :?: :?: . He will get better at that. Anybody who can shoot, sign him up please.

Wonder what Jared's issues are....

Also what is up with our opponent's FT shooting? Do they ever miss? How many teams have shot close to 90% against us so far?
Hurley said after the game that Thompson was our best defensive guard in the second half. The Brown guards going in for uncontested layups when Brown increased the lead to 15 points were not Thompson's responsibility.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Obadiah wrote:Just watched a replay of the game on ESPN3 with these thoughts:

* Nice Rhody crowd at the game and a testament to what a classy and devoted fan base we have. Understanding it was a hobbled squad taking the floor, the crowd shouted strong encouragement from beginning to end.

* URI stumbled in early part of game as they adjusted to the new lineup. But then they seemed to right themselves and appeared ready to take command, but the last 90 seconds of the first half, marked by a Terrell air ball and a foul, was a disaster sending Brown off the floor at the half with momentum.

* Brown built its 15 point lead on on some torrid shooting combined with Ram defensive lapses not typical of a Hurley team - so many uncontested Brown lay-ups.

* Down 15 points and given the looks of defeat on the Ram faces, their comeback was remarkable and clearly driven when Hurley trashed that stool in the TO. The comeback was simply based on better shooting than the first half's terrible 35%.

* The best point guard on the floor was Brown's Tavon Blackmon. One facet of good point guard is his ability to draw fouls and hit the FT's . Blackmon was 10 for 10 in this respect whereas Garrett was 0 for 1 with the miss of a front end of a one and one coming at a critical time.

* Garrett did make a beautiful pass to Akele for a potential game winning lay-up that was thwarted by a Jason Massey block.

* In the first half, Terrell had a beautiful reverse lay-up and made a nifty transition basket, but apart from those plays his overall game was horrendous. One reason he had so many shots blocked is they were poor shot selections in the first place. This kid needs to work on focus. Or else maybe it's time for him to come off the bench.

* Bad officiating, but the calls were bad both ways and the crew was totally inept in handling the review at end of regulation.

* Great win especially given the circumstances and its importance to the team's mentality.
Obadiah,
Agree with you on Terrell. Of the Brown blocked shots in the game most were blocks on Terrells shots.
Thompson continues to produce and his FTs, defensive play, rebounding and out side shooting impress. He makes the case for more and more minutes, if not a starting slot, that will come from the 3 current guards.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

It's probably true that Terrell's, and to a lesser extent Garrett's, focus on BB has been affected by having children.

Dan has said that the guys who produce, will be the ones that get the lion's share of the minutes.

CT of course makes freshman mistakes, but he is making less and less of them, while Terrell especially keeps showing that maybe he will start getting less court time down the road.....

Would like to see him get back on track, he's shown what he's capable of at times. Maybe he needs a spark, coming off the bench might do that.....
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Did I miss something? Did Jarvis think twins was too much so he gave Jared one of his children as a Christmas gift? As far as I know Jared doesn't have kids, so I'm pretty sure child care is not an issue for him.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yeah let's all refrain from spouting off theories and hot takes without some understanding of reality. It is OK to NOT post every impulsive thought one has while reading this site.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rambone for the 100th time Jared Terrell did not have kids. Geezus.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: Game 13: @ Brown University

Unread post by adam914 »

Damn I was waiting to see how long this "Terrell doesnt focus on basketball because of kids" thing would keep going! It was my favorite of the completely wrong hot takes around here lately!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

adam914 wrote:Damn I was waiting to see how long this "Terrell doesnt focus on basketball because of kids" thing would keep going! It was my favorite of the completely wrong hot takes around here lately!
Yep...there's always someone that has to come along with facts and just wreck it for everyone else.... :lol:
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Rambone with the most absurd post of the century blaming make believe children.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Section104 wrote:Rambone with the most absurd post of the century blaming make believe children.
Hey...unless you've had make-believe children...you really can't judge how much of a distraction they can be...
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Section104 wrote:Rambone with the most absurd post of the century blaming make believe children.
Hey...unless you've had make-believe children...you really can't judge how much of a distraction they can be...
Post of the year! (so far!)
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Haha gold.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

You mean Terrell doesn't have a kid?

Ha ha you got me. I actually did think he did. False info. My bad.

Dunce cap for me. :oops:
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Good stuff
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry