Game 13: @ Brown University

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: URI @ Brown 12/30

Unread post by adam914 »

KMar970 wrote:nice win and brown covered... i couldnt be happier and my bank account thanks me
Haha, awesome. Best of both worlds.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

PISS YES
Andre Berry BITCH!
That's how you come back down 15 without three starters against a state rival ! ! !
Four saved us
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I love our freshman class.

New favorite is Yogi Bear AKA Andre Berry.

AKA Andre 'Yogi Bear 'don't mind if i do have a' Berry.

Brown Bears beat byyyyyy Yogi Bear! I hope his career has some legs. Not sure Dan doesn't handicap big men though.

Yogi Bear!!!!!!
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Hopefully, tonight will settle whether 4M can score.

Why would DH begin the game forcing the ball down low to EW?

Just maybe DH will wake up and use AB in spots.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I haven't seen a close win in some time. Will give them some credit. They didn't give up and played with much more intensity after getting down 15. Terrell and Garret however continue to shoot abysmal from the field - they combined for 8-29.
0 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

33 points from Four, surprised that more people aren't talking about that. Crazy game from him, I love watching him abuse terrible defenses like Brown. If he figures out how to shoot like that in conference play vs. teams like GW and Dayton, this conference season won't be in the drain like everyone seems to think.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

gotta give 'em credit..when was the last time they came back from that far down....they looked dead but never gave up.

This will help guys like Berry and Akele a ton....

Begin to wonder if the freshmen play more...and the sophs play a little less after our bigs come back...

Yes we need Garrett, if only he could shoot a little better......

Joe, you'd like to think that, but the defenses we'll face in the A10 are a tad better than Brown's....

JT and JG HAVE to start shooting better for anything to happen in conference.....
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Glad they were able to remove their heads from their rear ends in the middle of the second half.
BERRRY, BERRY, BERRY! Dude has some sweet hands.
Terrell...didn't show up. Poor turnovers and just didn't appear to be all that competitive.

Glad Rhody won!
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

rambone 78 wrote:Joe, you'd like to think that, but the defenses we'll face in the A10 are a tad better than Brown's....
I'd love to think that :D
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Four made up for Terrell's bad game. Got to ride him when he's hot.

Thompson's offense is needed, despite his defense. He will get better at that. Anybody who can shoot, sign him up please.

Wonder what Jared's issues are....

Also what is up with our opponent's FT shooting? Do they ever miss? How many teams have shot close to 90% against us so far?
0 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

They went 25-29 that game, good for 86.2%. They're shooting 70% for the season. Seems like teams always shoot great from the foul line against us...
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Given our woes from the FT line, I'll take our 68% FT shooting tonight, every night.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

steveystuds06 wrote:I don't understand why Berry doesn't play more
With Dan playing as much man D as he does, Berry cannot keep the pace. Being in the back/middle of a zone is his only place......at current weight just does not have foot speed an mobility to play any man.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

Awesome win. I don't care how bad Brown is. We came down from 15 and fought like hell to totally steal this win. 4 was clutch. Hopefully Berry can get some confidence from this win. Refs were terrible. I could count about 10 BS calls against us. Probably the best game I've ever been to. Atmosphere was great with 80% Rhody fans, it was like a home game.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

The Dude wrote:Glad they were able to remove their heads from their rear ends in the middle of the second half.
BERRRY, BERRY, BERRY! Dude has some sweet hands.
Terrell...didn't show up. Poor turnovers and just didn't appear to be all that competitive.

Glad Rhody won!
What a great game to be at...to come back from down 15, with only 7 guys...2 of them fouling out... Awesomely loud URI crowd and who'd have ever thunk that the loudest cheer of the night would be "BER-RY! BER-RY! BER-RY!!"
Good times at one of the smallest gyms (at any level) that I've ever seen. PLUS....they actually hit free throws down the stretch...
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Have to disagree with those saying that Thompson is a poor defender. His problem is defending without fouling, but when he can do that I think he's pretty solid. My guess is those silly fouls will disappear over time.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote:
steveystuds06 wrote:I don't understand why Berry doesn't play more
With Dan playing as much man D as he does, Berry cannot keep the pace. Being in the back/middle of a zone is his only place......at current weight just does not have foot speed an mobility to play any man.
Agree...his lack of foot speed did get him burned on the D end at least once that I can remember, but...in a game where he had to play...and many were probably hoping he would be neutral at best...he made key positive contributions...which was just another awesome part of an awesome game.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Good win, during one TO when we were down a bunch in second half, Dan went.....let's say nuts.....no news flash here, but we gotta the two injured back like quickly..........liking CT more and more each game.....nice to see so much Keaney Blue in the seats.....yes was kinda like a home game, nice job Rhody fans, Thanks.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

SmartyBarrett wrote:Have to disagree with those saying that Thompson is a poor defender. His problem is defending without fouling, but when he can do that I think he's pretty solid. My guess is those silly fouls will disappear over time.
Well of course defending without fouling is a problem, no? Watch him play defense, his footwork is slow and he loses his man alot, countless times he's lost his man and its caused a foul on Hass or Earl on a drive to the basket or an open look on a kick out to an open 3. He's a freshman and he's still adjusting to the speed of the game, but his overall defense is a liability. He's not alone, JG gave up countless drives to the basket tonight as well and the help defense was non existent, which was to be expected without Hass and KI. To his credit, he knocked down some clutch shots tonight so you take the good with the bad and hope his defense improves with experience.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

What a game.
For the first 25 minutes, the worst defense I've seen
us play under Hurley.
Something clicked after they got 15 down.
Everybody and his mother in foul trouble,two guys foul out,
and they still pulled it out.
Four saved their butts tonight.
Somebody needed to step up and he did.
Honestly, I think Brown is closer to the playing level he's used to,
not taking anything away from his night.
Thompson hit some big shots down the stretch.
8-27 from Terrell and Garrett.
I thought Garret hurt us by trying to do too much.
Terrell was just tossing up bricks all night.
Berry was a pleasant surprise.
Earl did well until his foul fest late. 11 rebounds.
Only 7 turnovers for the game.
7 missed free throws.
For a Euro, Akele surprises me at how bad he shoot free throws.
He's pretty active and I think he'll be a good player for us.
Low point of the night was ARD having to body Dan to keep
him from getting to the ref in the second half.
Someday Dan's temper could really get him in trouble, if
he doesn't better control it.
Nice comeback under less than ideal circumstances.
Especially after it looked all night like a bad loss.
They didn't quit.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhodysk wrote:Down 15. Wow just wow.
That is the exact same text I sent my wife from the Pizz....
0 x
Optimistic
Kenny Green

Unread post by Optimistic »

Shinze88 wrote:
STC wrote:I want more Thompson! No reason he should not be playing more.
Yes there is, he plays no defense, he's lost on the floor. Sure he can shoot, but he gives up to many points with his defense, he needs to get much better on that side of the ball.
Direct quote from Hurley after the game about Thompson: "He was probably our best defensive guard in the second half.”
0 x
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
This one just came out of the swamp
This one dropped a payload
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

He is the best defender. I try not to dispute other posters and just stay in my lane but Thompson is a very good defender that will get better. Plus he rebounds. Plus he is a knock down shooter/FT.

Unsure how anyone would dislike CT right now.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:What a game.
For the first 25 minutes, the worst defense I've seen
us play under Hurley.
Something clicked after they got 15 down.
Everybody and his mother in foul trouble,two guys foul out,
and they still pulled it out.
Four saved their butts tonight.
Somebody needed to step up and he did.
Honestly, I think Brown is closer to the playing level he's used to,
not taking anything away from his night.
Thompson hit some big shots down the stretch.
8-27 from Terrell and Garrett.
I thought Garret hurt us by trying to do too much.
Terrell was just tossing up bricks all night.
Berry was a pleasant surprise.
Earl did well until his foul fest late. 11 rebounds.
Only 7 turnovers for the game.
7 missed free throws.
For a Euro, Akele surprises me at how bad he shoot free throws.
He's pretty active and I think he'll be a good player for us.
Low point of the night was ARD having to body Dan to keep
him from getting to the ref in the second half.
Someday Dan's temper could really get him in trouble, if
he doesn't better control it.
Nice comeback under less than ideal circumstances.
Especially after it looked all night like a bad loss.
They didn't quit.

Dan did blow multiple gaskets tonight...during one timeout slammed one of those little chairs on the ground a couple times. Looks like the assistants recognize they have to step in sometimes and thought they did a nice of protecting him that way. Refs made some bad calls (both ways, I thought), but I also think they gave us a couple breaks when DH could have easily been T'd up. He seems to be calmer for the most part this year, but tonite he was heated up a lot like last year.

Have to say, when they came out for the second half, and got down 12 (never mind 15), I didn't think they had enough offense to come back...glad I was wrong...awesome win. Fun crowd at the Pizz.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Seawrightspostgame wrote:He is the best defender. I try not to dispute other posters and just stay in my lane but Thompson is a very good defender that will get better. Plus he rebounds. Plus he is a knock down shooter/FT.

Well put, couldn't agree more...
0 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

Four played 45 minutes tonight and still shot as good as he did. Say what you will about Brown's D, but that's pretty impressive
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Seawrightspostgame wrote:He is the best defender. I try not to dispute other posters and just stay in my lane but Thompson is a very good defender that will get better. Plus he rebounds. Plus he is a knock down shooter/FT.

I agree. He looks good out there. There's some small things he could clean up, but seems pretty solid.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
The Dude
Tom Garrick

SmartyBarrett wrote:Have to disagree with those saying that Thompson is a poor defender. His problem is defending without fouling, but when he can do that I think he's pretty solid. My guess is those silly fouls will disappear over time.
That's exactly it. Some(at least one) of the fouls were also because he was helping out on another guy. Seemed he was simply trying to do too much on defense at times and put himself in positions where a foul call was easy for the refs.
0 x
Optimistic
Kenny Green

Unread post by Optimistic »

Officiating was terrible tonight, going both ways. The fact they ever considered Earl's shot at the end of regulation as counting is a joke.

Relevant: http://www.nunesmagician.com/2012/12/7/ ... d-for-game

Also, the old site that tracked ref stats is no longer (RIP) but Nathan Farrell (babyface ref) was atrocious tonight as always. Why he continues to get games is beyond me.
0 x
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
This one just came out of the swamp
This one dropped a payload
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Thoughts:
- great comeback. Gutsy play by the team last 10 minutes and in the OT
- thought we took a little too long to attack the basket with 8 seconds on the clock. Did not leave time for a rebound shot
- pass to Terrell that hit him in the face I think? Some say he tends to watch the plays sometimes? Not sure what he was watching but it wasn't the ball that "woke him up"
- thompsons 2 FTs were amazingly clutch. Very calmly and confidently dropped them both
- ODUs guards hurt our guards on defense and so did Browns guards tonight
- agree with those that say Thompson plays solid defense. Garrett and Terrell both got beat at times tonight. Thompson is not afraid of contact and gets in the lane for rebounds and also to try to knock the ball loose if he does not get the rebound
- berry was awesome. ARD had great things to say about Berry in post game. ARD was incredibly proud of Berry.
- DH was intense tonight but I see no problem with that. Brown's coach was crazy too. Loved it when DH complained that Brown's coach was coming out of the box and ref went to talk to him.
- small gym but a full gym.
- very exciting game
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I think Hurley got to a point where he had to go a little crazy to wake the guys up. It worked.
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

I certainly thought this was an L for sure when they were down by 15, but rather than hang their heads and allow the tough situation we are in personnel-wise get to them, they fought back! Berry is going to be taking away some minutes from Earl. He came up huge given the chance! In the long run the younger guys will benefit from the unexpected time they get and the team will be deeper and touher because of it. Great game...would have been depressed had this been a loss.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Down 15 and I thought it was over. Have to give the remaining players credit for the mental
toughness to not give up. Four and Christon rallied them big time and Berry had some huge put backs.
They were all great during the comeback. Garrett still can't hit a clutch FT. Poor Ft shooting is an epidemic
Dayton blew a 23 point lead and almost lost after going into overtime because they also couldn't hit FTs in
the clutch. And they are generally good except during crunch time. The guys played a full final 15 minutes
after taking off the first 30 minutes. Thank you Four, Christon, Andre and Nikola and JT Earl and JG for not
giving up.
0 x
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

I normally go to the game when it is at Brown, but could not get out of work this year. I love the atmosphere when you go into a road gym with a bigger crowd than the opponent has. It sounded like a great time on the radio in the second half. Here is a silly thought. Play at Brown every year. We should win and boost our RPI with a road victory. It is like a home game for us with a 70% cheering crowd on our side. I think it is a much better atmosphere than playing them at home in front of the no show season ticket holders.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Makes you wonder if we would draw more people playing in Providence than Kingston.

There are simply more URI alums there than in South County.

We wouldn't get as many students of course, but the total numbers might be better......

It'll never happen of course [playing at the Dunk]

Want to add that JG's and Terrell's D isn't what it used to be, especially JT's.

Those 2 might just have off the court issues affecting their games. Having babies could be taking their time and focus away from BB.

Having Dowtin here next season could force Jarvis to raise his game. Same for Terrell. As CT gets better, he could start taking more of Jared's minutes. CT can actually shoot, and his defense is getting better.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

rambone 78 wrote:Makes you wonder if we would draw more people playing in Providence than Kingston.

There are simply more URI alums there than in South County.

We wouldn't get as many students of course, but the total numbers might be better......

It'll never happen of course [playing at the Dunk]

Want to add that JG's and Terrell's D isn't what it used to be, especially JT's.

Those 2 might just have off the court issues affecting their games. Having babies could be taking their time and focus away from BB.
I would say yes, I'm sure there's also many more alum/fans like myself that also work in the prov area rather than in SC, which makes it easier to make it to a week night game. And hey a win is a win is a win.
0 x
GO RAMS
Surfri72
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Surfri72 »

the pizz only holds 2800 people. with your rational we might as well start playing in keaney again.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Most of the URI fans at Brown were familiar faces from the Ryan Center, not incremental fans because the game was played in Providence.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote:
- pass to Terrell that hit him in the face I think? Some say he tends to watch the plays sometimes? Not sure what he was watching but it wasn't the ball that "woke him up"
I may be putting too much into it but to me this was another sign that Terrell was not entirely into the game. He should have been ready for a pass. Instead the pass hit him in the head and bounced up. He did however recover enough to get it back.

I lay a lot of this team's struggles on our sophomores, Terrell and Garrett. I expected more from them in year 2. Their inability to put the ball in the basket is a huge handicap. How many of Terrell's drives to the basket got blocked last night?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote:Most of the URI fans at Brown were familiar faces from the Ryan Center, not incremental fans because the game was played in Providence.
They probably were Rhody fans that go to Kingston games. It still may have been a shorter drive to Brown for many of them than the Ryan Center. If they are willing to drive further to URI, one would think many would have no issue going to see a game at Brown, especially for a weeknight game.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If JT can't drive, and he can't shoot, and his D isn't what it was, where does that leave him next year, when we will have more bodies?

Like I said before, his minutes are going to go away. Dan will play the guys who are producing. EC will be back. CT will play more.

Terrell needs to get his act together, or else he will be watching from the bench.

For this team to be really good, besides having everybody back, they need guys who can make shots, and defend shots.

Who's going to replace Four? Yes, he might not be great at the A10 level, but he's directly won at least 2 games for us so far.....

RF1, and there were most likely Rhody fans there that WON'T drive to Kingston very often.
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Grit and Balls!!!!

That's what that was late last night. Berry reminds me of a skinnier Ed Brown. Very soft hands and agile around the hoop. This freshman class is as good as advertised and will continue to grow.

A game that would have been easy to quit on but these kids just kept fighting.
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

There were 2500 fans
Quite a few PC fans who just like basketball, maybe 1000-1200 URI fans dressed in blue. My guess is most all of these fans also go to Ryan Center games. These are hard core Rhody fans, not URI fans who only came because it was in Providence and local to them.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78 wrote: RF1, and there were most likely Rhody fans there that WON'T drive to Kingston very often.

I tend to doubt that. With the way this season has progressed, I would be willing to bet that only real die-hards were there that night. These would be the people that typically go to Ryan Center games. I doubt there was enough excitement for this team to get new people to go to a game in an unfamiliar place with little parking.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote: RF1, and there were most likely Rhody fans there that WON'T drive to Kingston very often.

I tend to doubt that. With the way this season has progressed, I would be willing to bet that only real die-hards were there that night. These would be the people that typically go to Ryan Center games. I doubt there was enough excitement for this team to get new people to go to a game in an unfamiliar place with little parking.
Agree these were hard core URI fans, the Kool aid drinking kind like me, distance does not matter
0 x
BornNBred33
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BornNBred33 »

Jared Terrell 40 inch vert.....drives to the lane and clears a piece of paper....Awesome.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Am I crazy......wish we could that kinda turnout out for the Dump game.....or do we get those numbers and they get spread out and swallowed up in the hockey arena?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:
RF1 wrote:

Agree these were hard core URI fans, the Kool aid drinking kind like me, distance does not matter
+1
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

rodfromcranston wrote:Terrell was just tossing up bricks all night.
To be fair, he did have a couple air balls last night, so they all weren't bricks. :shock:
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

rambone 78 wrote:If JT can't drive, and he can't shoot, and his D isn't what it was, where does that leave him next year, when we will have more bodies?

Like I said before, his minutes are going to go away. Dan will play the guys who are producing. EC will be back. CT will play more.

Terrell needs to get his act together, or else he will be watching from the bench.

For this team to be really good, besides having everybody back, they need guys who can make shots, and defend shots.

Who's going to replace Four? Yes, he might not be great at the A10 level, but he's directly won at least 2 games for us so far.....

RF1, and there were most likely Rhody fans there that WON'T drive to Kingston very often.
Robinson to the rescue?
0 x
GO RAMS