Recruits

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Re: Recruits

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Look how bad we are with Jarvis out. He is the key to this team Period.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

For those down on JG, exactly who is suggested to be the point guard? Someone on the current roster or the in coming player group? For me, this position requires stability, not by committee.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Unreal, I didn't see who suggested Garrett not start next year, I really, really don't want to know, don't want to start/have any back and forth about it, but I will state my opinion for the record, Garrett is the most important player on our team, he is currently our only pure PG, he's gifted, young and obviously still learning and we'd be a shit sandwich right now if we didn't have him. Even when he doesn't play his best there isn't a single person on the team with his handle or an equal ability to handle defensive pressure
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

He must have meant Terrell, not Jarvis.

JG has to start. If Dowtin turns out to be great and soon, then maybe Jarvis loses some minutes, but he's still our primary PG next season.

Other than his shooting and his occasional bad decisions with the ball, he's got far less issues than JT does right now.

Terrell is the guy who I could see losing more minutes, if he doesn't get his act together.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Figure this was a good spot to put this.
Nicola Akele’s Rookie of the Week selection for his performances in wins over Brown and Saint Louis brought the total to an even dozen under Rams’ coach Dan Hurley, spread among half of the 10 true freshmen he’s recruited during his three-plus years at the helm.

Several of Akele’s teammates know the feeling. E.C. Matthews captured the honor seven times during his 2013-14 campaign, earning co-Rookie of the Year honors with Saint Joseph’s forward DeAndre’ Bembry. Jared Terrell (twice), Hassan Martin and Ifeanyi Onyekaba have also been named Rookie of the Week since Hurley was hired in March 2012, making good on his promise to upgrade the program’s overall talent.

The Rams earned a total of 12 Rookie of the Week honors from 1999-2000 through 2011-12, with Jonathan Holton and Mike Powell combining for six in Jim Baron’s final season on the sidelines. URI had no selections in seven of those seasons, including five of six from 2003-04 to 2008-09.
http://www.providencejournal.com/articl ... 9649/14015
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

SmartyBarrett wrote:Figure this was a good spot to put this.
Nicola Akele’s Rookie of the Week selection for his performances in wins over Brown and Saint Louis brought the total to an even dozen under Rams’ coach Dan Hurley, spread among half of the 10 true freshmen he’s recruited during his three-plus years at the helm.

Several of Akele’s teammates know the feeling. E.C. Matthews captured the honor seven times during his 2013-14 campaign, earning co-Rookie of the Year honors with Saint Joseph’s forward DeAndre’ Bembry. Jared Terrell (twice), Hassan Martin and Ifeanyi Onyekaba have also been named Rookie of the Week since Hurley was hired in March 2012, making good on his promise to upgrade the program’s overall talent.

The Rams earned a total of 12 Rookie of the Week honors from 1999-2000 through 2011-12, with Jonathan Holton and Mike Powell combining for six in Jim Baron’s final season on the sidelines. URI had no selections in seven of those seasons, including five of six from 2003-04 to 2008-09.
http://www.providencejournal.com/article/20160105/SPORTS/160109649/14015
Back when we thought Iffy could be a force after that Maine game.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I had not seen this post before, but I had put this on the recruiting board, just to have it as reference-
ace wrote:Because I wanted to see it all in one place, here's a list of the players they've brought in. I think this is all of them.

2012: Hare/HS (?), Aaman/HS (medically ineligible, Wagner), Munford/J (graduated), Bigby/GT, Biruta/T (graduated), Minnis/T (Wright State), Reischel/T (EKU), Onyekaba/HS (quit)

2013: Matthews/HS, Martin/HS, Butler/HS (UT-Martin)

2014: Garrett/HS, Terrell/HS, Watson/J

2015: Thompson/HS, Akele/HS, Iverson/T, McGlynn/GT, Berry/J, Robinson/T, Butts/HS (not cleared by NCAA)

2016: Layssard/HS, Dowtin/HS, Tertsea/HS, Langevine/HS

Few thoughts- it's not surprising that the first class has the worst outcomes. There were previous connections to Aaman and Hare but all other official recruiting started in April. The multi-year non-playing, scholarship-space-taking spots of Powell and Hare were inconvenient but necessary in the bigger picture. Ideally, they would have added a better big in '15 (sorry to the fan favorite and very likable Berry), but they couldn't get one. They changed up some things and got two in '16, which is a response you would have hoped and expected to see.
0 x
Keatgsr07
Kenny Green

Unread post by Keatgsr07 »

URI RECRUITING, question to the group: How bad does this season, and the 16 seasons prior damage our reputation and/or ability to recruit?

I was having this conversation with an alum friend and we started to question if we're stuck in a cycle? The example I use is the Kansas City Royals, or Pittsburgh Pirates, or Cleveland Indians (until recently). If you have a bad team no one comes to the games, they don't spend money, you as an organization can't spend money on players, you end up with a bad team. The cycle perpetuates and incrementally just gets worse and worse...

Are we there? This season will almost certainly mark 17 years off of the calendar since the Rams have danced. So relating it back to the MLB analogy, when we're out recruiting and the kids look into the rafters and the only banners since they were born are from the NIT, they haven't seen us play in the tournament in their lifetime, they come to the Ryan Center and we aren't even consistently filling it, what are they left with? I bet that's a really hard sell for the Rams staff, selling a 17 year old on a team that has no relevant history, no proof of success, and the odds against it to perform at a high level. I know we all like the Ryan Center, as beautiful as it is, but is that enough to sell the kid to come to URI?

Do other programs view us they way we perceive Fordham, St. Bonne, La Salle, Duquense? Typical middle of the road programs other than a few lightning-in-bottle moments, perennial bottom-dwellers? Are we destined to be what we've been for almost two decades, are we fooling ourselves as fans that we're a program that's on the cusp of breaking through and starting a tradition of winning, or is this thing what it is?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Keatgsr07 wrote:URI RECRUITING, question to the group: How bad does this season, and the 16 seasons prior damage our reputation and/or ability to recruit?

I was having this conversation with an alum friend and we started to question if we're stuck in a cycle? The example I use is the Kansas City Royals, or Pittsburgh Pirates, or Cleveland Indians (until recently). If you have a bad team no one comes to the games, they don't spend money, you as an organization can't spend money on players, you end up with a bad team. The cycle perpetuates and incrementally just gets worse and worse...

Are we there? This season will almost certainly mark 17 years off of the calendar since the Rams have danced. So relating it back to the MLB analogy, when we're out recruiting and the kids look into the rafters and the only banners since they were born are from the NIT, they haven't seen us play in the tournament in their lifetime, they come to the Ryan Center and we aren't even consistently filling it, what are they left with? I bet that's a really hard sell for the Rams staff, selling a 17 year old on a team that has no relevant history, no proof of success, and the odds against it to perform at a high level. I know we all like the Ryan Center, as beautiful as it is, but is that enough to sell the kid to come to URI?

Do other programs view us they way we perceive Fordham, St. Bonne, La Salle, Duquense? Typical middle of the road programs other than a few lightning-in-bottle moments, perennial bottom-dwellers? Are we destined to be what we've been for almost two decades, are we fooling ourselves as fans that we're a program that's on the cusp of breaking through and starting a tradition of winning, or is this thing what it is?
I think it would be one thing if the recruits they were bringing in weren't All-A10 caliber. However, Martin and Matthews have made teams, and Terrell and Garrett have a good chance of doing so as well by the time their four years are up. Even during the Baron years, he was getting decent players. If you compared URI's All-A10 players to the four teams you listed, the Bonnies might have more because they have went to the dance a few times (IIRC), but I imagine URI has more than all four of those squads.

The NCAA drought comes down to two things for me: 1) Baron was unable to get the team over the hump, despite clearly having talented enough rosters at several points. 2) Baron left the program with pretty much zero, meaning it's been pretty much a complete rebuild from a roster standpoint. I thought this year would be it, before the Matthews injury, but next year is probably a make-or-break year as far as fan expectations, since you're not losing anyone really significant from this year's team.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I think there is an obvious jump in talent from 2012.

I think Baron's epic choke jobs created this long drought. Is what it is. Those teams didn't create much in terms of $$$ but I think they did grab some fans that would become bigger fans if URI would just break through. People liked those 2005-10 teams.

I think the Hurley name does carry a cache that Baron didn't. Meaning URI won't be the 1st team out again because nationally Hurley has more respect and it is political getting into the tournament when your record looks like a lot of other teams.

They have a shot this year. Team just needs a little magic. For so long in this program the unknown thing that happens is something bad. URI is so due for something unanticipated working out in their favor and pushing them through to the dance.

I do mean win the A10 tournament. I think that is the most doable thing URI has in front of them. I don't think an at-large bid is out of the question, but that would take an effort that would be the same as the team getting hot in Brooklyn and running the table. To me, them destroying a weekend of basketball with a little help from another team maybe knocking out a bad match up would be easier than this team walking a tight rope for the next 45 days.

So they get hot now or they get hot later. Some other teams fall down the stretch. Happens every year. Just hasn't happened here this century.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

How can anyone say we're stuck in a cycle when this year's results are heavily impacted by the loss of EC?
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:I think there is an obvious jump in talent from 2012.

I think Baron's epic choke jobs created this long drought. Is what it is. Those teams didn't create much in terms of $$$ but I think they did grab some fans that would become bigger fans if URI would just break through. People liked those 2005-10 teams.

I think the Hurley name does carry a cache that Baron didn't. Meaning URI won't be the 1st team out again because nationally Hurley has more respect and it is political getting into the tournament when your record looks like a lot of other teams.

They have a shot this year. Team just needs a little magic. For so long in this program the unknown thing that happens is something bad. URI is so due for something unanticipated working out in their favor and pushing them through to the dance.

I do mean win the A10 tournament. I think that is the most doable thing URI has in front of them. I don't think an at-large bid is out of the question, but that would take an effort that would be the same as the team getting hot in Brooklyn and running the table. To me, them destroying a weekend of basketball with a little help from another team maybe knocking out a bad match up would be easier than this team walking a tight rope for the next 45 days.

So they get hot now or they get hot later. Some other teams fall down the stretch. Happens every year. Just hasn't happened here this century.
Looking for their Dave Roberts ;)
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

We're still talking About the chance of an at large bid this year? In what world?

We'd have to win at least three out of VCU, Davidon, GW, Dayton.

As anything this team has done so far justified continued thought of an at large berth?

We lose @ Nebraska, ODU, St Bonnie's, St Joe's, yet we still think we can win three outta 4 against those top A10 teams?

It's Brooklyn or bust.
0 x
Go Rhody
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

ATP are you seriously still using the E.C. injury as an excuse? Every time I turn around someone is using this as an excuse for the teams performance, the 'cycle' people speak of is a degree removed from injuries, it is the results staring at you from the Win/Loss columns and the tournament appearance results, true fans of the team and college bb in general might remember who was injured, who was asked to leave the team, who left the team on their own accord high and dry, etc. That doesn't put fans in the seats and it doesn't sway recruits.

Not to mention, I know you've seen as many minutes of this team in action as anyone this season, you telling us the lackluster performances and results are a result of E.C. being injured? You telling us your heart doesn't hurt when we fall apart down the stretch in close games against good teams? Do you ever think something like "We really should have won that one."? Is 11 and 7 good to you? or acceptable?

Maybe this years results are heavily impacted by the loss of E.C., but they shouldn't be. They should be slightly impacted by it, not heavily. He's a nice player with all kinds of up-side and the injury is a shame, but something comes up every season, that's life. The 'cycle' doesn't have footnotes.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

I think ATP is only referring to the people who are saying we are not getting better (on a macro level). EC is not an excuse for some poor performances this year, but his loss does have an impact on the large picture.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

The years are independent...there is no cycle. This is a totally new thing - no connection to last year or next year. This is - Year 4 of new coach...team showing flashes of higher upside than at any time in the previous three years. And I know the mere mention of this possibility steams the be-jeepers out of some people, but...still quite possible to get on a healthy A10 roll...finish high in the conference...Brooklyn bye(s)...get to the final and ===> NCAA bid.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

No one says that's not possible, they say its not probable, mostly because they don't have theirs heads in the sand and are basing their opinions on results to this point. When did this team indicate to you that they would start beating good teams on the road? Beat Gdub Friday and the conversation can begin, you dig?
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

That's right RR.

Results first. Then the happy talk can happen.

Yeah we CAN beat good teams on the road.

Until we actually DO, I'm going to wait.

This isn't anything new, by the way.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

ATPTourFan wrote:How can anyone say we're stuck in a cycle when this year's results are heavily impacted by the loss of EC?
I agree
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Running Ram wrote:No one says that's not possible, they say its not probable, mostly because they don't have theirs heads in the sand and are basing their opinions on results to this point. When did this team indicate to you that they would start beating good teams on the road? Beat Gdub Friday and the conversation can begin, you dig?
My oh my...nothing draws heat and criticism in these parts like a little optimism, does it? It's like, "Hey, you! Hel-lo..! Can't you see we're all trying to pout (in advance, so we'll be ready/warmed up) over here??!!" :lol:
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Running Ram wrote:No one says that's not possible, they say its not probable, mostly because they don't have theirs heads in the sand and are basing their opinions on results to this point. When did this team indicate to you that they would start beating good teams on the road? Beat Gdub Friday and the conversation can begin, you dig?
Exactly!

All the positive fans on here can say all the IFs they want about each close game we lose but the results are in. I'm more of a action speaks louder than words type of person. Anything is possible, but they are going to have to prove to me they can win these games for me to start believing. I would love a big GW win and then Pats win Sunday this weekend!!
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Yeah! Optimists have their heads in the sand!
Pout-ers rule!! :cry: !!
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Let's be realists. Up until now, URI has proven zero about beating anybody average, never mind good on the road. Even if they beat GW, which is a longshot and I don't expect them to...1 win does not prove anything or even show a trend. In fact, if they were to beat GW, I would call that an aberration until I start seeing them do it more often.

You can be optimistic all you want. Just know that the chances are slim to none.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Ah, but the talent is there...it would be much more dire if it wasn't. Just because they haven't had a good road victory yet, doesn't mean they can't or won't. If they play like they did against Richmond, I like their chances against anyone...and just because they haven't played like that on the road yet, doesn't mean they can't.

:idea: Maybe Hurls should bring the team to the GW gym early with a tape measure for the hoop and foul line? ;)
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

208, that talent has to translate into wins against good teams.

Otherwise, it means nothing, nada, squat, zero, zilch.

Our coach is talented also. Although the jury is out on him being able to coach them up enough to win those close games.

That's the missing piece to the puzzle.

It's a big frigging piece........
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

He coached them up from 8 to 14 to 23 wins in his first 3 years and no one could ask for more than that...Even though there seems to be a big want here to overlook them, there are no wins that mean 'nada, squat, zero, zilch'...I think that statement is silly. Just like ignoring 8 to 14 to 23 is silly...

And what 'jury' is this that you're talking about?
The jury of this board? The jury of 'you'? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hurls is the best thing that's happened to this program in the last 4 years...everyone should acknowledge that and be glad he's here. Ceiling is high for that guy.

PS - There's a lot of talk about 'next year'...and the great recruits/reinforcements coming in...If the coach really and truly had a 'known rep for not being able to win close games against good teams'...why are all these awesome 'next year' guys even bothering to come here? I mean, who'd want to be a part of that?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Running Ram wrote:ATP are you seriously still using the E.C. injury as an excuse? Every time I turn around someone is using this as an excuse for the teams performance, the 'cycle' people speak of is a degree removed from injuries, it is the results staring at you from the Win/Loss columns and the tournament appearance results, true fans of the team and college bb in general might remember who was injured, who was asked to leave the team, who left the team on their own accord high and dry, etc. That doesn't put fans in the seats and it doesn't sway recruits.

Not to mention, I know you've seen as many minutes of this team in action as anyone this season, you telling us the lackluster performances and results are a result of E.C. being injured? You telling us your heart doesn't hurt when we fall apart down the stretch in close games against good teams? Do you ever think something like "We really should have won that one."? Is 11 and 7 good to you? or acceptable?

Maybe this years results are heavily impacted by the loss of E.C., but they shouldn't be. They should be slightly impacted by it, not heavily. He's a nice player with all kinds of up-side and the injury is a shame, but something comes up every season, that's life. The 'cycle' doesn't have footnotes.
Honest question, not trolling - How many wins do you think the EC injury is worth? If your contention is 0, then yes, URI should be a tournament team. My assumption is that the number is probably around 4 on the low end, to 8 on the high end. Per Obadiah's contest thread, the median guess for URI wins, post-injury, was 22. Unless they collapse during the conference schedule, they're probably going to end up around 20.

I've also posted this in a couple threads now, and I don't think I've gotten an answer, and I haven't had time to look into it myself - What are the comparables for this when it comes to other college basketball teams? Obviously when it comes to pro basketball, losing an all-star level player usually has a huge effect, and they have the benefit of being able to make mid-season trades and to give up future assets to compensate. I'm not as familiar with college basketball, so I would honestly be interested to know how other teams finished when losing an All-Conference level performer in the first week of a season.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The lone voice in the wilderness.

Obviously, you would have been a fan of Baron.

All those 20 win seasons. What did they get him?

Fired.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:208.

The lone voice in the wilderness.

Obviously, you would have been a fan of Baron.

All those 20 win seasons. What did they get him?

Fired.
So...Hurls won 20 last year...and if he wins 20 this year and next without making an ncaa appearance...fire him?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Mike G. yes what's the difference in total wins because of losing EC?

It's at least a couple. Probably 2-3 imo.

But with or without him, would we still collapse down the stretch against good teams?

With EC, we might have beaten Valpo and Nebraska. PC? Not sure.

That's about it. We would be in a little better position right now most likely.

However we would still have the same late game issues. Was EC a clutch player his first 2 seasons?

Last year, even with him, they stood around and watched him try and play hero ball. He failed. Now Jarvis is trying it, with the same results.

It's the system that's lacking, more than any individual player.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

208, to answer your question:

If Hurley keeps winning 20 games, but can't win the big ones and we don't make the NCAA tournament over the next few seasons, the answer is....

YES.

He was hired to do ONE thing. Make the NCAA tournament, above all else. And do it at least on a semi regular basis.

URI has given him what he needs. Now he's got to deliver.

He does NOT have forever to do it, either. And you know what? He knows this.

If this all sounds cruel or unfair, well it's the reality of the times we live in.
Last edited by rambone 78 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Bone, he's a friggin troll. We all know where things stand.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Hasn't been forever. Its been about 4 years.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:208, to answer your question:

If Hurley keeps winning 20 games, but can't win the big ones and we don't make the NCAA tournament over the next few seasons, the answer is....

YES.

He was hired to do ONE thing. Make the NCAA tournament, above all else. And do it at least on a semi regular basis.

He does NOT have forever to do it, either.

If this all sounds cruel or unfair, well it's the reality of the times we live in.

Talking about firing a guy during year 4 of 8 to 14 to 23 to ?? and talking about the 'great depth' he has coming in next year at the same time...is too silly to be considered cruel or unfair even...

And tbr...who is this "we" that "knows where things stand"? Are you 'the committee that decides who the coach will be'?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

SPG, I'm not talking about the past 4 years. Yes he's had some unforeseen issues which haven't helped.

But the talent is now supposedly here.

The next couple of years will tell.

I'm not saying he will or he won't deliver, either. Just that the powers that be at URI won't wait forever.

This isn't the football program, that's been left to twist in the wind without any school support for the last million years.

URI has invested millions in facilities and staff for the BB program, to get this done.

It's time for some ROI.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:

YES.

Talking about firing a guy during year 4 of 8 to 14 to 23 to ?? and talking about the 'great depth' he has coming in next year at the same time...is too silly to be considered cruel or unfair even...

And tbr...who is this "we" that "knows where things stand"? Are you 'the committee that decides who the coach will be'?
RESULTS! And that means NCAAT. That's it. nothing else to say. And 5 years without a berth? The winds will be a-changing my friend.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Not sure this applies to recruits....on the above, let's see what coach needed/wanted to build the program to compete on "national level".....renovated locker room, check; upgraded weight room, check; upgraded academic support, check; private flights, check; did I miss anything....?....time to deliver the goods; upgraded players and wins leading to dance(s)....maybe missed increased home crowds....and if I also recall correctly, Sr Hurley referred URInas a sleeping giant....are we still hibernating?... Or stretching and rubbing eyes coming awake...?
Last edited by section(105) 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:

YES.

RESULTS! And that means NCAAT. That's it. nothing else to say. And 5 years without a berth? The winds will be a-changing my friend.
Unless something major happens like a scandal or player revolt...firing this guy after 5 years would be about the silliest thing ever.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

ya but......how many more years, after fiver, do we wait.....?......just asking.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

He won't be fired anytime soon.

I'm sure he's been cut some slack due to the many player issues over the first 2-3 years.

But going forward, he simply has to produce.

If we truly have the talent needed to Dance, then he's got to get it done.

We cannot continue to blow close game after close game.

What's the definition of insanity?

Doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result?

Our late game stall ball tactics haven't worked from day one of Dan's time here. No matter the talent he's had.

Yet he keeps doing it. It hasn't worked, it's not working, and it will never work, at least with this group of players.

That's been demonstrated painfully way too many times.

Got to change things up. Something, anything. Our players don't play well standing still. Not many do.

I think we'll know his ceiling here by the end of next season. As long as there aren't any more excuses.

We'll have talent and depth. We'll hopefully play more uptempo for 40 minutes, not 35 and then take a nap.....
Last edited by rambone 78 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Tim Welsh brings up thoughts.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote:ya but......how many more years, after fiver, do we wait.....?......just asking.....
I don't have a number, but starting that conversation AFTER year 5, not during it, might be more like it. To talk about it now, already (and during the season), after these last 3 years, just seems nutty to me... seems more worthwhile to think about the positive possibilities between now and the end of the season. Plenty of time to fret about failures from April to October.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

theblueram wrote: RESULTS! And that means NCAAT. That's it. nothing else to say. And 5 years without a berth? The winds will be a-changing my friend.
Do you honestly believe that the first two years Hurley was here was some kind of failure for not making the tournament? "5 years without a berth" implies that he should have made it with those teams and failed to do so.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:
theblueram wrote: RESULTS! And that means NCAAT. That's it. nothing else to say. And 5 years without a berth? The winds will be a-changing my friend.
Do you honestly believe that the first two years Hurley was here was some kind of failure for not making the tournament? "5 years without a berth" implies that he should have made it with those teams and failed to do so.
thanks for bringing some sensibility to the conversation
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

I said he's had 4 years. I don't think that means VERY MUCH. I do think it means something. That is a long time.

If they don't dance next year, you're looking at 5 years without a bid. There ARE 68 teams every year that go.

Even the way our team is at this moment. They lose games. They lose them close. DH has lost close games here from the jump.

The first year may have not many wins but they were in many of those games. Eventually you win them or you don't.

I think this team can take a step forward and have a punchers chance at Brooklyn. I think the team is very talented, especially next year.

I love the culture of URI basketball or maybe 70% of that current culture. I really like all the big guards on deck. Im a sucker for size. I just think you eventually shit or get off the pot.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Tim's better on TV.....than coaching....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Everybody eventually finds their niche, their happy place.

Tim's found his....good for him.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote:Not sure this applies to recruits....on the above, let's see what coach needed/wanted to build the program to compete on "national level".....renovated locker room, check; upgraded weight room, check; upgraded academic support, check; private flights, check; did I miss anything....?....time to deliver the goods; upgraded players and wins leading to dance(s)....maybe missed increased home crowds....and if I also recall correctly, Sr Hurley referred URInas a sleeping giant....are we still hibernating?... Or stretching and rubbing eyes coming awake...?
So, awaiting some push back or?......on this one......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Seawrightspostgame wrote:I said he's had 4 years. I don't think that means VERY MUCH. I do think it means something. That is a long time.

If they don't dance next year, you're looking at 5 years without a bid. There ARE 68 teams every year that go.

Even the way our team is at this moment. They lose games. They lose them close. DH has lost close games here from the jump.

The first year may have not many wins but they were in many of those games. Eventually you win them or you don't.

I think this team can take a step forward and have a punchers chance at Brooklyn. I think the team is very talented, especially next year.

I love the culture of URI basketball or maybe 70% of that current culture. I really like all the big guards on deck. Im a sucker for size. I just think you eventually shit or get off the pot.
I love big guards, too. Jalen Rose was one of my absolute all-time favorite players. And, I like it when Rhody occasionally subs guards for forwards with no noticeable size drop off.

I just think Dan, with what he's done the first 3 years, deserves a little more time on the pot. There are few deserving of coach for life status (watching a pair right now on ESPN), but I mean, he hasn't even been here long enough to 'have a down year' yet...? And already the 'or else's' are flying around?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote:
section(105) wrote:Not sure this applies to recruits....on the above, let's see what coach needed/wanted to build the program to compete on "national level".....renovated locker room, check; upgraded weight room, check; upgraded academic support, check; private flights, check; did I miss anything....?....time to deliver the goods; upgraded players and wins leading to dance(s)....maybe missed increased home crowds....and if I also recall correctly, Sr Hurley referred URInas a sleeping giant....are we still hibernating?... Or stretching and rubbing eyes coming awake...?
So, awaiting some push back or?......on this one......
8 wins, asleep...14 wins, alarm clock goes off...23 wins, stretching and rubbing eyes...season 4, making way to the bathroom, where anything can happen from there...might shave, might shower, might not, still need to check the weather outside. Season 5, let's see how Season 4 goes....
0 x